• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
TLDR:
Legendary scavenger hunt is not coming any time soon, not even MMO Developer "Soon" (which is somewhere just shy of Valve Time).
New ways to earn rewards coming as early as this month's update.
Blog Post about 2013 plans next week.
This seemed relevant!
adding new ways you can earn precursors as rewards via new reward systems taking advantage of our open persistent world.
So even though the scavenger hunt is far in the distance...? What be this?
As of right now I've been salvaging just random gear drops that I get that I dont need (mainly common/green). Ive been using the fine salvaging one for trying to get the upgrades, but I was wondering if I should be doing that or should I just be selling those back to merchants?
I'd sell greens to the merchant- either salvage whites/blues or sell on the TP if there's a buyer for notably over merchant price :)
I cant wait for an expansion already,
In GW1, the expansions always carried with them big updates to the basic game mechanics and functionality that applied even to people who didn't buy the expansion (this may be totally normal for subscription MMOs but it really blew me away). I'm almost looking forward to the kind of stuff they have in store in that vein than the new areas and content, hehe.

You know what feature kicked ass? Mercenary heroes. God damn that was cool.

Trey

Anet should bring back mercenaries. Have them sitting randomly in zones, and if you help them through an event or straight up pay them, they'll be your allies from then on. Would make soloing a bit easier, and would be a nice callback to GW1.

By the time they get the scavenger hunt working they should just add totally new Legendaries because, everyone who wanted a current Legendary will probably have one.

I'm cynical, so take this with a pinch of salt, but I feel like we're going to get a lot of 'feature Y' is only in the idea stages blog posts when people ask about them. Get the impression that a lot of the features mentioned during pre-release were just ideas on paper - scavenger hunts, mini-games, etc.

I'm not saying this game was released too early, but there are a lot of little things that are starting to bug me now, to the point where I'm thinking 'How did that get through'.

- Countless skills for on various classes not working
- sPVP unbalanced (which is probably linked to the above)
- Poor Tooltip descriptions of skills
- Pop-up boxes cancelling text input
- Not all crafting ingredients being assigned a collectables bank slot (only thing I can think of here is a cheap way to fill up bank space so you have to buy more)
- The low limit stacks of crafting ingredients that do have a collectables bank slot (assume this is to stop hording but again it seems like a cheap tactic to force people into buying bank upgrades)
- Mobs who have looped knock down mechanics and pretty much just pin you to the ground until you die

jersoc

The main feature i want in an expansion is more character builds. The game feels very stale and less exciting when you unlock your skills and that's sort of it. there's like no customization with what you can do with your character. i think part of that is why i'm getting burned out. the min/max have been found already and it seems very hard to improve on them. it would be nice if each weapon had an X amount of skills and you pick the 5 you want. or have the talents less passive and provide additional skills or modifiers to current skills.

hell, you don't even need an expansion, but i doubt anything like that would be in before hand. of course i would love to be wrong on that.

and chriswok, i totally get where you're coming from. game has lots of good ideas, but many are just wtf how could they think that was a good idea to put in. i understand games change in time and usually for the better, but some stuff mmos have solved 5 years ago.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I guess it's time to officially quit being a regular player. After being kicked out of Gafguild shortly after launch due to understandable server issues and too many members, I 'just' had my 10ish members miniguild that got set up somewhere during Lotro starting times. After GW2 turned out to be rather bland after reaching 80, half of those people went back to WoW (which I despise), others never showed up again, and it's basically just me and one more guy who now is changing guilds (and with it most methods of communication). I myself am incredibly bored by GW2, too, by now, the whole game changes into "do fractals, or play something else" to me, and I don't want to grind fractals. Gave up on the legendary after realizing I'll never get the needed precursor, lodestones and money, and with that my last straw of reason for playing pretty much went away. Not a fan of raising alts either, especially with the incredibly tiring leveling process in GW2, which is amazing during the first run, but gets old really, really fast, sadly. While DE's are a great idea on paper and while they're new, they now became incredibly rare when you search for them, while being incredibly repetative when you stumble into the usual ones. Orr is a chore, and the lower level areas aren't that exciting anymore, either. Story isn't interesting in the slightest, so I wouldn't care for the alternative storylines either. JP's are all done, new actual non-festive content didn't impress me at all, dailies and monthlies just feel like more grind, and everything else is RNG.

I don't even know why I'm writing all of this down here. I guess GW2 was my last hope of finding a new MMO to play with a bunch of pals I really like, and it went down the drain just so fucking fast. I want to love the game still, but I can't.

Oh well, I guess I'll check in when content updates arrive, but yeah, I'm actually very disappointed and sad. Anyway, have fun you guys.

Rawk Hawk

I don't even know why I'm writing all of this down here. I guess GW2 was my last hope of finding a new MMO to play with a bunch of pals I really like, and it went down the drain just so fucking fast. I want to love the game still, but I can't.

Oh well, I guess I'll check in when content updates arrive, but yeah, I'm actually very disappointed and sad. Anyway, have fun you guys.

Hate to see this, hopefully after a little time off you can rejoin us and enjoy the game. I know exactly what you mean about finding a game to play with friends, that certainly makes any game 10 times better when you have good company.

If you do come back to try it out, rejoin GAFGuild (the cullings weren't perma bans from the guild or anything) and hopefully you can enjoy it. Not sure what updates would entice you, but I believe a lot of focus in quarter 1 of this year is on PvP/WvW, so checking back in March might be a perfect time to come help us beat that scum from JQ (if we can even hold on to T1).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Bufbaf, how come you never asked to get back in the guild? Well see you round, hope you enjoyed some of your time ;)

Reminder, guild mobbing event today in Metrica Province at 4:00PM! Please speak up if you've done the Matrix Cube Key meta event btw!

4 PM EST, I take it. I'll be bringing my engineer. We should meet up at the WP closest to Rata Sum (since that's how everyone's going to travel anyways). Take the train to the reactor and destroy any DEs along the way.

Trey

Will be there with my Mesmer. Gonna be dope.

Yo Bufbaf, rejoin the guild and run in our low level zerg. One last hurrah.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Guys how are our guilds doing? I was part of EU one but got sidetracked by some RL issues. How is it going now?
They've been almost wholly consolidated into the NA one, please feel free to join us on SBI if you like.

Ethics time, friends

Is it moral or immoral to post this screencap of ash throwin down that digital game on random tyrian hotties
joMTlzkPk8CZ2.png

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
nWZro.gif

Bound to? It's done, man. He got banned, a locked thread, a Lionel Mandrake summary, and a video from Sunhi. There is no higher you can ascend or further you can fall. People are still arguing about whether or not he was telling the truth in the first place. I don't know how he feels about it but it's about as infamous as neogaf will treat you

Ceebs

So I hit lvl 78 and thought "I should probably go down to Orr or something"

What the fuck? Who thought this zone was a good idea at all? Every waypoint is contested, can't pull anything without 5 more things coming with it, and oh they all will stunlock you to death.

Guessing they thought this zone would be packed with players all the time, but it is a ghost town on my server.

If that is their idea of endgame content I may as well pack it in now.

Yup. Exact same experience. So I slotted all my speed abilities and ran through it. There's 1/2 'camps' you can get to, but yeah, it's a horrible place.

Arucardo

I'll def. be on for the event, had to run through 3 new zones to get there, the running speed boost I had from a trader chest came in handy
KuGsj.gif

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You should really go down to Orr in a party, Ceebs, before abandoning it.

Both my 80s can solo there pretty well now actually :X

Ceebs

You should really go down to Orr in a party, Ceebs, before abandoning it.

Both my 80s can solo there pretty well now actually :X

My biggest problem is that my Mesmer is in a heavy condition build that can survive for ages by kiting, but takes quite a while to actually kill things. By the time I end up killing whatever I pulled half of them have respawned on top of me.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My biggest problem is that my Mesmer is in a heavy condition build that can survive for ages by kiting, but takes quite a while to actually kill things. By the time I end up killing whatever I pulled half of them have respawned on top of me.
That's actually the second of the builds I use, a heavy condition scepter/sword and sword/torch Mesmer. Out of curiosity, what utilities are you bringing with you?

Ceebs

That's actually the second of the builds I use, a heavy condition scepter/sword and sword/torch Mesmer. Out of curiosity, what utilities are you bringing with you?

I use Feedback, whatever the one that makes 2 instant clones is called, and null field. With Time Warp as my elite.

Oh I am using my staff like 80% of the time with Sword + Focus or pistol

Just hit 80 as well. Not sure what to do now XD.

Arucardo

Bound to? It's done, man. He got banned, a locked thread, a Lionel Mandrake summary, and a video from Sunhi. There is no higher you can ascend or further you can fall. People are still arguing about whether or not he was telling the truth in the first place. I don't know how he feels about it but it's about as infamous as neogaf will treat you

Don't know about becoming a meme but this killed me when it was posted:
Still makes me laugh, haha.

PS. Great event tonight (Zackyork ingame)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Greatevent everyone, awesome turnout! :D Thanks to all who attended.

I'm so glad to get that achievement finally. I think the other "hidden" chains like this would make perfect events. Definitely feel free to suggest future ones!

I use Feedback, whatever the one that makes 2 instant clones is called, and null field. With Time Warp as my elite.

Oh I am using my staff like 80% of the time with Sword + Focus or pistol

Just hit 80 as well. Not sure what to do now XD.
Ahh well if you're interested, Orr usually warrants mixing up your slots a bit.

-Blink is an absolute must for soloing in Orr. Breaks stun, huge range, confuse the crap out of mobs. Definitely couldn't survive without it. I'd replace feedback with this because reflecting projectiles isn't all that useful for most things you want to do in Orr.
-Unless you really depend on it for certain things, I'd swap Mirror Images for Decoy while in Orr as well. The stealth is perfect for retreating and can get you out of some tricky spots, especially if you bring a torch too.
-Null field is a good choice for the third- can cast it on yourself to instantly remove cripple/immobilize. Definitely remember to take advantage of its role as an ethereal combo field too.

zulfate

Greatevent everyone, awesome turnout! :D Thanks to all who attended.

I'm so glad to get that achievement finally. I think the other "hidden" chains like this would make perfect events. Definitely feel free to suggest future ones!

Ahh well if you're interested, Orr usually warrants mixing up your slots a bit.

-Blink is an absolute must for soloing in Orr. Breaks stun, huge range, confuse the crap out of mobs. Definitely couldn't survive without it. I'd replace feedback with this because reflecting projectiles isn't all that useful for most things you want to do in Orr.
-Unless you really depend on it for certain things, I'd swap Mirror Images for Decoy while in Orr as well. The stealth is perfect for retreating and can get you out of some tricky spots, especially if you bring a torch too.
-Null field is a good choice for the third- can cast it on yourself to instantly remove cripple/immobilize. Definitely remember to take advantage of its role as an ethereal combo field too.

had alot of fun especially at the end fighting over that corner i was baelok cloudsky.

Ghost23

That event was seriously some of the most fun I've had in the game, and it helped me with my map completion as well! We should do this very often. What other locations would be good?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That event was seriously some of the most fun I've had in the game, and it helped me with my map completion as well! We should do this very often. What other locations would be good?
One thing I know I want to do is, there's a hidden quest to kill the "Demagogue" in Toxal Bog, which we could do as a mini event since we have already mobbed Brisban Wildlansd.

I think great zones for mobbing events in the future (unless I'm forgetting we've done them) would be Iron Marches, Timberline Falls, Wayfarer Foothills, Frostgorge Sound, and a Giant-sized Mobbing event in Lornar's Pass (could start it way earlier and just let people come and go as they please... so many POIs!)

Ken

They've been almost wholly consolidated into the NA one, please feel free to join us on SBI if you like.

Ethics time, friends

Is it moral or immoral to post this screencap of ash throwin down that digital game on random tyrian hotties
joMTlzkPk8CZ2.png

That's pretty good.

Aww, I missed what looked to be an epic event. But I'm down for the next big one.

Like, you don't ever have to pay any money, right?

The only thing I ever paid with PSO2 that was worth it was extra space since it means less time going back to the ship to sell. Other stuff that could be useful but otherwise not necessary that you have to buy:
-Mags
-Skill tree reset and extra skill trees
-Character Slots (you only get one slot, but not a huge deal since you can change classes at will)
-Premium ticket (allows you to create a shop and use the room feature)

The last one isn't a huge problem because there's a free RNG game you can play that could give you a shop or room for a couple of days. Even premium buyers are complaining they don't get enough over free players. The only thing that feels like a cash shop cash grab is the AC Scratch and AC Gold Scratch. It's the only way to get most of the costumes but it's on an RNG. I spent about $30 to get this outfit
and was worth it.
:
HaeUD.png

(hint: if you want everything on the cheap, play as a male character since nearly all of the costumes are 1/10 of the price of its female equivalent)

Like I said, if GW2 could add more town clothes and make easier to change into, I'll be all over it.

I'm cynical, so take this with a pinch of salt, but I feel like we're going to get a lot of 'feature Y' is only in the idea stages blog posts when people ask about them. Get the impression that a lot of the features mentioned during pre-release were just ideas on paper - scavenger hunts, mini-games, etc.

I'm not saying this game was released too early, but there are a lot of little things that are starting to bug me now, to the point where I'm thinking 'How did that get through'.

- Countless skills for on various classes not working
- sPVP unbalanced (which is probably linked to the above)
- Poor Tooltip descriptions of skills
- Pop-up boxes cancelling text input
- Not all crafting ingredients being assigned a collectables bank slot (only thing I can think of here is a cheap way to fill up bank space so you have to buy more)
- The low limit stacks of crafting ingredients that do have a collectables bank slot (assume this is to stop hording but again it seems like a cheap tactic to force people into buying bank upgrades)
- Mobs who have looped knock down mechanics and pretty much just pin you to the ground until you die

It would be interesting read of the dev history of GW2. A UI dev at SA admitted as much that the TP as it is now is just a prototype they decided to expand and ship with:
The current TP has so many spacing issues and general flow clunkiness (not to mention bitrot in the code) that trying to shove previewing in there would be a bit of a nightmare. Not to mention that it's essentially a prototype that we fleshed-out & then launched with. It also is still missing multiple features that were in the earlier designs but never got completed due to time constraints. I love how the TP works but the current experience bums me out.

New TP is going to take everything we've learned about the essential TP action flows (& how to build UI-style webapps) and should on the whole be a much more pleasant experience.

As much as I like the game, I do agree there's just an overall clunkiness that can really sour the experience.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian

Ethics time, friends

joMTlzkPk8CZ2.png
Reconsidering my place in a guild with this guy as a co-leader.

You know when you're in your very early teens and you finally understand those noises coming out of your parents' bedroom at night? That awkward revelation? It's like that. Except amplified through a megaphone - and everyone knows about it.

Katoki

Reconsidering my place in a guild with this guy as a co-leader.

You know when you're in your very early teens and you finally understand those noises coming out of your parents' bedroom at night? That awkward revelation? It's like that. Except amplified through a megaphone - and everyone knows about it.

This is where we try not to think too hard about it. I am only really getting up to speed on this stuff via everyone else's comments but it's not my nature to actually go and read that thread. I don't think too much about the whole co-leader + that thread bit because he hasn't been online to begin with. That and you need a tub of salt these days when taking in ANYTHING from the internet.

Edit: Not saying to ignore it but it is important to acknowledge it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom