• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
How are rangers?

I love my Ranger. I can waltz around Orr mostly with ease as I am built for damage and my pet takes most of the punishment. If I am lucky, I can solo some champion level enemies using the pet + utility skills/traits to keep him alive and just switchin out before they die.

Ketch

Lvl 28 Norn Warrior.
F8BCE265A9A00D69437EE6C84B6EC240B3322A64

Finally got pants to match the rest of my armor set. So badass it hurts.

Cronnie

How are rangers?

Got one as my main (Deus Artemis), I done the "/age" thing and couldn't believe I have clocked in over 200hrs on my ranger.

Rangers can hold their own very well, pets are incredibly useful if you know how to use them properly. I can run through the PvE world with little trouble, and even in something like WvW I can go off and take supply camps by myself if it's just NPCs over there.

cripterion

Rant over ( Expecting a backlash and no one agreeing ).

Agreed as well. I was ultra psyched for this game and rarely log in nowadays. I think it's still a pretty good MMO and the fact that it has no sub is great but I wanted a Dark age of Camelot replacement and this is not it.

Also 3/5 races of the game turn me off somehow, so kinda cuts on the rerolling for me.

J0dy77

Is there a way to hold multiple talent specs? To allow you to glass canon during solo play and tank in dungeons? Or do you need to buy a manual each time you want to respec?

K.Sabot

Is there a way to hold multiple talent specs? To allow you to glass canon during solo play and tank in dungeons? Or do you need to buy a manual each time you want to respec?

You don't need to buy a manual every time, but you do have to go to a trainer to respec. No templates in PvE by design, and no templates in sPvP as of yet.

J0dy77

You don't need to buy a manual every time, but you do have to go to a trainer to respec. No templates in PvE by design, and no templates in sPvP as of yet.

I was afraid it was a big gold sync. I was holding my final training manual for the respec. Thanks for the info.

Currently on lvl 17 on my elemenatalist, i like it so far BUT:

is there more to that class than simply picking FIRE on any weapons and just spamming the most powerful spell to kill mobs? I feel that while water can be useful for healing, what are lightning and earth REALLY good for when fire is the most powerful to kill mobs?

Currently on lvl 17 on my elemenatalist, i like it so far BUT:
is there more to that class than simply picking FIRE on any weapons and just spamming the most powerful spell to kill mobs? I feel that while water can be useful for healing, what are lightning and earth REALLY good for when fire is the most powerful to kill mobs?
Really depends on the weapons you're using. Scepter/Dagger air attunement is radically different from the staff. Earth attunement in general adds protection and some control, but it's slower than air about it.

Really depends on the weapons you're using. Scepter/Dagger air attunement is radically different from the staff. Earth attunement in general adds protection and some control, but it's slower than air about it.

yeah but what i mean is.. different HOW?`Is there any TRUE benefit later on to pick say air or earth when attacking stronger mobs as opposed to simply just spamming fire?

Im already burning out on the PvE side of game, after playing a few classes to level 15-20. Biggest problem is that, to me, all classes are just boring to play. THere is no depth at all to PvE and some classes are a huge chore to play due to lack of damage and/or mechanics (mesmer and elementalist suffer the most from this). Playing a warrior/Guardian/ranger is just a snoozefest though, you can pretty much mash your hand on the number keys and not die.

Not really complaining though, got my fun out of the 50 bucks i paid for it, just disappointed that the game isnt as good as i hoped it would be. Also, PvP is pretty fun, so that is enough reason to keep playing.

yeah but what i mean is.. different HOW?`Is there any TRUE benefit later on to pick say air or earth when attacking stronger mobs as opposed to simply just spamming fire?
You can switch atunements to spam your biggest hitting spells from each line (except water because water sucks).

etiolate

Banned
Hitting 2k+ on Spatial Surge in WvWvW. It feels like a bug. Maybe its just the buffs or a ton of vuln on the target? I never recall it hitting that hard.

I think I found my profession. Thief. After having tried guardian, elementalist, and warrior this feels SO much better and exactly what I was looking for (even though I didn't know it).

Ettie

Dinged lvl 30 and tried the first dungeon with 4 other peeps. Holy shit are dungeons a million times harder than normal PvE... :/

I think it might be that the first one is a million times harder. The others are something like half a million times harder? Speaking only on hearsay.

So what are the current requirements for getting into GAFGuild? I know it might be full right now, but I might want to get in in the future, once I'm a bit further into the game. Still in the starting area right now since I've started over like 4 times.

Sophia

Dinged lvl 30 and tried the first dungeon with 4 other peeps. Holy shit are dungeons a million times harder than normal PvE... :/

It's glorious. After so many years of WoW and it's easy mode dungeons, having an actual challenge is just fantastic.

I need a better CPU. I'm not getting that great of a performance. :\

Velion

So what are the current requirements for getting into GAFGuild? I know it might be full right now, but I might want to get in in the future, once I'm a bit further into the game. Still in the starting area right now since I've started over like 4 times.
None, and guilds are account based.

Rapstah

Is Necromancer dagger/dagger supposed to be their debuff weapon combination? None of the other weapons give any real single target debuffs.

Shambles

Is there a list or website somewhere that keeps a list of the fastest ways to get to the higher level zones? I find it easy to get to the level 1-25 areas as they're always attached to asura gates or the areas right beside them. However sitting at level 50 i'm starting to look to find the higher areas without spending a fortune having to constantly use waypoints to get between the zone and back to lions arch.

I think I found my profession. Thief. After having tried guardian, elementalist, and warrior this feels SO much better and exactly what I was looking for (even though I didn't know it).

what's so great about it? kinda interested in trying out either Thief or engineer next after elementalist hmm

Retro

Oh cool, I thought I saw some people saying how you needed to have a certain amount of achievement points to get an invited but I guess not.

The game doesn't list a player's last login date or anything we can use to track inactivity, so we've used the number of achievement points to weed out the inactive players in the guild to make room for people waiting in the Overflow guild. Our thinking is that if the game has been out for 3 weeks and someone has 100 points, they pretty much logged in, reserved names and played for an hour or two and never came back.

Anyone who was booted can simply ask for an invite back, as those who are actually active will notice they were kicked (and those who don't play won't).

However sitting at level 50 i'm starting to look to find the higher areas without spending a fortune having to constantly use waypoints to get between the zone and back to lions arch.

To save money I warp to Heart of the Mist (PVP map) from the menu and then take the asura gate to Lion's Arch.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
More bitching about Necro? Awesome...I still can't play/enjoy my 80 Necro haha. Is there going to be improvements to the class? Any word from ANet?

what's so great about it? kinda interested in trying out either Thief or engineer next after elementalist hmm

I like the initiative system, as it definitely makes the thief a burst attacker. Instead of waiting for a skill to recharge, you strategically chain together a burst of attacks using your initiative points.

I also find the stealth system very interesting. Instead of going into an extended "invisible" mode like in so many other games, stealth lasts for a few seconds, during which you have to quickly get in a big hit or run away if in trouble.

Finally, all of the animations look really cool. :)

daebo

been busy with work and haven't played all week until this morning.

Did they nerf all the XP for dungeon runs? I was used to getting 7 bubbles of XP from CM and only got 7k xp :/

Retro

Finally, all of the animations look really cool. :)

According to the Collector's Edition "Making of" book, the animation is the main reason Thieves differ from all other classes and have 1-2 as their main hand weapon skills, 4-5 as their off-hand and 3 as 'both hands'. They love Unloading both pistols or Spinning Death Blossom with dual daggers, but realized it wouldn't work with the same weapon skill system as the other classes.

been busy with work and haven't played all week until this morning.

Did they nerf all the XP for dungeon runs? I was used to getting 7 bubbles of XP from CM and only got 7k xp :/

Yes, they nerfed speed runs because it was getting to be ridiculous. I went through CM a bunch of times and the XP flowed so much it felt like I was cheating.

Good news though; they are going to make Explorable mode Tokens account bound (rather than character-bound) and increase the amount you get overall. After all, Story Mode is supposed to be the 'intro' to the dungeon, and explorable mode is where the gloves come off and you face a greater challenge. Not that some of the story mode stuff is a push-over...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Just got to level 30 and opened up dungeon, its way on the other side of the map, do I have to make a b line to get over there, pretty darn far.

daebo

Good news though; they are going to make Explorable mode Tokens account bound (rather than character-bound) and increase the amount you get overall. After all, Story Mode is supposed to be the 'intro' to the dungeon, and explorable mode is where the gloves come off and you face a greater challenge. Not that some of the story mode stuff is a push-over...

That's good at least about the seals

Piecake

I did CoE Story mode last night and I honestly think that that is harder that CoE explore (teleporter). Of course, the other two paths in CoE explorer, sub and front door, range from ridiculous to impossible, so...

And yea, i like the seal chance since it will actually make my 70 AC tears actually useful

Retro

Just got to level 30 and opened up dungeon, its way on the other side of the map, do I have to make a b line to get over there, pretty darn far.

Just have your group enter the dungeon; you'll get a pop-up as soon as they do. This will allow you to jump right into the dungeon with them. Not sure if it works world-wide, but it definitely works in the same zone.

Miutsu

So I have started playing the game very recently and I'm loooooooooving it, just wanted to add that I'm trying today the gamepad config posted in here and I like it a lot, there are a lot of shortcuts and its going to take a while to learn them all but it controls really well, wondering why there isn't official support for it.

Retro

I did CoE Story mode last night and I honestly think that that is harder that CoE explore (teleporter). Of course, the other two paths in CoE explorer, sub and front door, range from ridiculous to impossible, so...

Oh, I know. I did a bunch of Ghost Eater runs in AC the other night and the hardest damn part is defending the Charr while she repairs the cannons. The bosses are pretty easy once you figure them out, but that whole part with gobs and gobs of enemies is just a pain in my ass. But you know what? I'd rather have dungeons that kick my ass and keep me on my toes, and constantly wondering if there are still secrets waiting to be discovered, instead of linear hallways filled with trash and loot pinatas.

Maybe it's the Dark Souls-loving part of me, but I actually like almost getting my ass kicked every time I run a dungeon..

So I have started playing the game very recently and I'm loooooooooving it, just wanted to add that I'm trying today the gamepad config posted in here and I like it a lot, there are a lot of shortcuts and its going to take a while to learn them all but it controls really well, wondering why there isn't official support for it.

At one point there were data-mined images floating around with the X-box 360 buttons in place of the numeric indicators on skills. There is also a small team at ArenaNet working console support. I imagine Gamepad Support is one of those things they are working on, but are too busy getting the game launched to deal with now (as with stuff like Polymock, Activities, etc.).

We're only about a month out from launch, which is still very much the 'growing pains' phase of MMO launches.

Piecake

Oh, I know. I did a bunch of Ghost Eater runs in AC the other night and the hardest damn part is defending the Charr while she repairs the cannons. The bosses are pretty easy once you figure them out, but that whole part with gobs and gobs of enemies is just a pain in my ass. But you know what? I'd rather have dungeons that kick my ass and keep me on my toes, and constantly wondering if there are still secrets waiting to be discovered, instead of linear hallways filled with trash and loot pinatas.

Maybe it's the Dark Souls-loving part of me, but I actually like almost getting my ass kicked every time I run a dungeon..

I honestly think that Teleporter has a good amount of difficulty though. Its hard as hell at first, but once you figure it out, it goes pretty smoothly. Submarine is just nuts because it has one of those protect a person while she does something (this time you actually have to input codes istead of an npc) while waves and waves of enemies spawn. Its just nuts. We beat it, but we had to naked cheese it since we were dieing so much.

The Alpha in Front Door is just absurd. Its just way too hard to dodge all of that crap. Maybe a team of guardians and necros could do it, but shit...

I think we figured out a good way to finally do the CoE story part where you have to protect someone while she does somthing. Basically, you pull them to the door, and when shit his the fan you start running around the room, leading the enemies in circles

woops, double post :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom