• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunlop

I'm kinda lost for what I am supposed to be doing to gear up, I've run a few fotm's which have been fun but the 80 zones are completely dead

Katoki

I'm kinda lost for what I am supposed to be doing to gear up, I've run a few fotm's which have been fun but the 80 zones are completely dead

Most efficient way is either to craft it if you have the supplies stored up from leveling or looking through the dungeon vendors and seeing which stat combination you want the most and running that dungeon often.

• Ascalonian Catacombs and Citadel of Flame are the easier and most often run dungeons.
  • Sorrow's Embrace path 3 is quick and easy. Path 1 is pretty easy too, when it doesn't break.
  • Honor of the Waves is less popular now since everything there is a damage sponge but runs will pop up every so often.
  • Cadecus' Manor - isn't that hard but is sometimes ridiculously hard. It's an odd one but not very popular either.
  • Twilight Arbor - Easy as far as I can tell, needs some coordination but with an experienced group, all three paths can be done within about an hour to an hour half.
  • It's late, I skipped Arah because it's a pain and a half to get a group going sometimes and I can't recall what the eighth dungeon is for the life of me.

Fractals is only good for grabbing rares to then salvage and hope for an ecto or maybe use. If you're dead set on exotics as soon as possible, level 78 exotics from the Trading Post are a hair weaker but cheaper and not enough to make you inferior in any way. I've actually gone this route with a few weapons prior to having enough tokens for a level 80 dungeon replacement when I wanted to switch up my weapon set.

Dungeons give about a gold per run total after the bags and loot selling and first run of day bonus, so you can use some combination of everything to set yourself up with gear. I can't recall if the gold is with or without a gold buff food, but I use Raspberry Peach bars since they're cheaper than Omnomnom Berry bars albeit a bit less effective.

WvW

What I'd like

+ More reputation/rewards for holding a fort and defending it
+ Upgrades that allow for it to be defended a little (A LOT) better when you're not there. Nothing more frustrating then waking up and knowing that some night raiders have taken your base in 10 minutes as it was just a simple grind against the very poor AI guards.
+ The map to be split/assigned different bonuses or point tallies to make it a little more strategic. So if you hold Fort X your server would get Buff Y (not the vampire slayer).

- Less zergs. Somehow nerf rewards and bonuses obtained in a Zerg.
- Make the zerg group move slower or something with a debuff.

Most efficient way is either to craft it if you have the supplies stored up from leveling or looking through the dungeon vendors and seeing which stat combination you want the most and running that dungeon often.

• Ascalonian Catacombs and Citadel of Flame are the easier and most often run dungeons.
  • Sorrow's Embrace path 3 is quick and easy. Path 1 is pretty easy too, when it doesn't break.
  • Honor of the Waves is less popular now since everything there is a damage sponge but runs will pop up every so often.
  • Cadecus' Manor - isn't that hard but is sometimes ridiculously hard. It's an odd one but not very popular either.
  • Twilight Arbor - Easy as far as I can tell, needs some coordination but with an experienced group, all three paths can be done within about an hour to an hour half.
  • It's late, I skipped Arah because it's a pain and a half to get a group going sometimes and I can't recall what the eighth dungeon is for the life of me.

Fractals is only good for grabbing rares to then salvage and hope for an ecto or maybe use. If you're dead set on exotics as soon as possible, level 78 exotics from the Trading Post are a hair weaker but cheaper and not enough to make you inferior in any way. I've actually gone this route with a few weapons prior to having enough tokens for a level 80 dungeon replacement when I wanted to switch up my weapon set.

Dungeons give about a gold per run total after the bags and loot selling and first run of day bonus, so you can use some combination of everything to set yourself up with gear. I can't recall if the gold is with or without a gold buff food, but I use Raspberry Peach bars since they're cheaper than Omnomnom Berry bars albeit a bit less effective.

You can't recall Crucible of Eternity? Didn't you and ThinFinn use to do that nonstop awhile back?

This is great. I was just about to post asking what everyone considers easier dungeon runs. I play at odd hrs typically (early mornings or late nights) so I suspect I'll be in PUGs a lot.

Also the dungeon you missed was Crucible of Eternity.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
People have mentioned most but not all of your options at once, so here they are. :p

Armor
For the stats you want:
  • Karma vendors at the temples at Orr
  • Crafting
  • Dungeon token gear (each dungeon offers 3 stat distributions)
  • Trading Post

For skins:
  • All of the above, plus
  • Order (Whispers, Vigil, Priory) vendors
  • Cultural armor vendor in your race's home city
  • Assorted heart vendors scattered throughout Tyria

Weapons
For stats:
  • Crafting
  • Dungeon tokens
  • Trading post

For skins:
  • All of the above, plus
  • Order vendors
  • Pact Weapon vendor (from beating Story)
  • Assorted vendors throughout Tyria
  • Any race's cultural weapons vendor
  • Drops (especially fractals, always preview if you're hunting)
  • Mystic Forge recipes

Edit: Bonus: Dungeon runs in ascending order of difficulty (of the ones I know):

COF1<AC2<AC1<SE3<HOTW1<CM1=CM2=CM3<AC3<TA1=TA2=TA3<COE2<COE1<COF2=HOTW2=HOTW3<COE3<SE1<SE2<Arah 3 (Don't know the others :p)

What's this about SE1 being pretty easy? I've still only completed it twice, are there new tricks?

Edit again:

Just one final note: gear isn't quite as important in this game as you might traditionally believe. In the early days of gearing up, definitely don't neglect to consider rares or non-80 exotics to save a ton of money for only a hair of statistical difference.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I play late nights (EST) a lot too if you ever happen to be on and group up.

Oh and Gaston and Rawk, thanks for the leveling out in Metrica yesterday :)

Rawk Hawk

I play late nights (EST) a lot too if you ever happen to be on and group up.

Oh and Gaston and Rawk, thanks for the leveling out in Metrica yesterday :)

Yea, had a lot of fun roaming around there. Wish I could have stayed longer.

If I transfer to another server (just to check things out), how long do I have to wait before I can change again ?

7 days I believe right now. Not sure when that will change.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
By the end of the month (28th? Not sure if confirmed) I think the paid transfers will be in place. I don't think there's going to be a weekly limit once that happens, just a bottleneck in terms of cost. Not sure on this though.

Levyne

Banned
Hi guys, hadn't posted in here much recently.

So my work building supposedly has a chemical leak so I am stuck on a public access computer in another building with nothing to do.

So, uh

How are you all

By the end of the month (28th? Not sure if confirmed) I think the paid transfers will be in place. I don't think there's going to be a weekly limit once that happens, just a bottleneck in terms of cost. Not sure on this though.

The only limit will be time delays when processing (which doesn't seem likely with how quickly the transfers are now) and of course server capacity.

Will the personal story get you to level 80?

Not by itself, no. The way the Personal Story advances, each stage of the story skips a few levels. It's design intent was for players advancing through the zones would have Story Elements that mirror their Zone progress. It doesn't really work that way though as some people stay in certain zones and farm DE's while others generally push through missing a fair amount of them.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Conversely, the Story Missions have pretty good XP no matter when you do them, so if you outlevel them for a while and then go back and "catch up," you'll likely gain a few levels in the process.

Proven

I do have a problem with other people placing labels. As it stands right now, the people I'm talking about were long term rvr types in DAoC before coming here. They wanted that same sort of experience but found that wvw is too zerg dominated for their taste and required little skill. To them there was no real competition in any meaningful sense so right now they're just gearing up waiting for the hoped for wvw improvements to see if they cut down on that or before they go back full time. When I'm talking about rewards, I mean things like feeling that going in a small group and taking over a camp actually means something to the greater fight. Going to a tier 1 server doesn't change any of that and wanting to stay on SBI doesn't make them not wvw-centric.

Fine. I didn't think about the DAoC types. But you're making two mistakes. 1. We're not necessarily moving on to tier First, I'm probably to Kaineg, Moondrop is also considering Kaineg, and there are a number of people in the "great SBI exodus" that are avoiding tier 1 servers and instead are going to bolster other servers that may then have a shot at tier 1 or 2. Second, the shout out is for those who consider themselves WvW-center and are considering leaving. We're not suddenly forcing people to go. We're not telling them that staying is a bad thing. We're just acknowledging that the next couple of weeks for SBI is going to be a downward spiral before we get another even matchup. We're not being exclusive. We're being inclusive because we don't know these people, don't know if they've been following the current going ons, and don't know if they're also considering a move rather than waiting it out. Moondrop was trying to reach out.

You can get a competitive fight in a lower bracket. The exodus is, to a great and unspoken degree, about ranking pride. That's the truth to the whole thing and it's silly how it's not mentioned.

Also, it's many of the WvWvW guilds who complain about a lack of more to do and a lack of rewards in WvWvW. This was a complaint going back to TA breaking up.* I don't want to argue over who or who isn't WvWvW-centric. All I know is that I did do WvWvW a lot up until this month. The reason I quit is because the WvWvW game got stale and it has needed changes for awhile. This whole thing goes back to the same issues people were worried about in the game's first month.

And speaking of that, I know there's the dream that every issue these guilds are having will disappear elsewhere. That's obviously a silly idea, but I know a part of this fantasy is that having WvWvW guilds bunched together will alleviate grind and burnout. If they just build a mega server then things will be okay.

Except, Henge, and ET, and JQ, and BT, and so many servers have been through this. SBI went through it in its own way.

It's just a whole lot of mass stupidity. I plan to WvWvW, but I don't need to switch because server hopping has obviously not worked for anyone out there. Improvements must come and when those improvements come then so will the people.

There's just this bubble of panic right now with SBI. I imagine there are people in these guilds that know what I'm talking about and know it to be true, but they cannot fight against the rest who are stuck in that bubble of panic. Paid tranfers are coming! Paid transfers are coming! So let's behave like we did with free transfers?

Come on.

Also, this isn't a personal attack on anyone. I liked playing with many of these guilds. It's just hard to watch something so obviously panic stricken and foolish, and remain silent on it.
That's the issue my other guild is in. Overall, we prefer SBI. It's where we started. It's our home. But if everyone else is leaving, and we want to get more fights where we aren't constantly being steamrolled by 30+ people roaming across the map for the next couple of weeks (which could turn out to be several, as our high rating might take a while to go down), then the option for us to move as well becomes appealing.

That said, how about a GAF WvW event tonight? We can do it on Tarnished Coast Borderlands (Red Borderlands).

So silvers are called Elites. Who knew? Why don't they say it!

Woah, I guessed right.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That said, how about a GAF WvW event tonight? We can do it on Tarnished Coast Borderlands (Red Borderlands).
Yes please. You leading? What time?
Woah, I guessed right.
You did that, didn't you. So weird Tier 2 and Tier 4 enemies get prefixes but Tier 3 don't, despite the fact that they're all officially named :p

Fine. I didn't think about the DAoC types. But you're making two mistakes. 1. We're not necessarily moving on to tier First, I'm probably to Kaineg, Moondrop is also considering Kaineg, and there are a number of people in the "great SBI exodus" that are avoiding tier 1 servers and instead are going to bolster other servers that may then have a shot at tier 1 or 2. Second, the shout out is for those who consider themselves WvW-center and are considering leaving. We're not suddenly forcing people to go. We're not telling them that staying is a bad thing. We're just acknowledging that the next couple of weeks for SBI is going to be a downward spiral before we get another even matchup. We're not being exclusive. We're being inclusive because we don't know these people, don't know if they've been following the current going ons, and don't know if they're also considering a move rather than waiting it out. Moondrop was trying to reach out.

I spoke to Moondrop privately about that topic and he did mention that the original post was unclear which was why some thought he was trying to attract other members to form a splinter group dedicated to WvW. It has since been edited to reflect more of what you're talking about.

xeris

I spoke to Moondrop privately about that topic and he did mention that the original post was unclear which was why some thought he was trying to attract other members to form a splinter group dedicated to WvW. It has since been edited to reflect more of what you're talking about.

He and I also had a quick chat in game today. Since my argument was with what I thought he was trying to say and not what it turns out he meant, I don't have any further complaints and honestly wish him well and hope it works out for him.

Ghost23

So I keep on hearing people talking about soldier armor for a D/D elementalist, but I cannot find anything about this armor. What exactly is the name of it and where do I get it?

Katoki

So I keep on hearing people talking about soldier armor for a D/D elementalist, but I cannot find anything about this armor. What exactly is the name of it and where do I get it?

Soldier is the name of the stat combination which is power/toughness/vitality or p/t/v or ptv... or soldier.

Ascalonian Catacombs, Honor of the Waves, and Sorrow's Embrace have soldier stat weapons and armor.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Soldier is the name of the stat combination which is power/toughness/vitality or p/t/v or ptv... or soldier.

Ascalonian Catacombs, Honor of the Waves, and Sorrow's Embrace have soldier stat weapons and armor.

Also a reliable way to get them is to buy the invader armor from wvw

As always, I shall go against the grain with me d/d Ele! Try and stop me! muahahah
We don't need to, when dungeon runs do a more than adequate enough job.

Exhibit A: volcano fractal, lava pit, causing three others to die with you.
Exhibit B: Kohler <-------- Hawkian 5 times. All downs. Rest of group, zero. Single run. This month.

I will not mention a certain TA run.

Just off the top of my head :p

Other depositions are welcome.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't know what happened to Proven!

Nice smooth Frac-10 run guys, sorry for derping at the beginning of the Grawl. Learned a new trick there. :)

I got my Asura Engineer (who I'd shelved in frustration for a month or so) to 80 over the weekend and geared her up with a mixture of an exotic rifle from the TP (chosen for stats, hated the look, transmuted to a Dredge rifle), exotic WvWvW chest and karma WvWvW rares transmuted to look good. And she's pretty awesome.

I'm running with 30 points each in explosives (i.e. +power) and kits with ten in firearms. I'm carrying a rifle and I've filled my general purpose spell slots with kits - grenade, flamethrower and elixir gun. The main aim of my build is flexibility and a lot of kiting (if you are standing still you are doing it wrong) so it's pretty fun in WvWvW. I have the kit switching speed boost so that I can chain-switch kits to keep a sprint on me to move about the map.

Rifle: This is pretty good (not up with thieves but hey look what else I can do) single target kiting damage. Net them in place run around shooting them, blast them with the shotgun to finish them off. Pretty neat. Also usually the best weapon for long range damage (e.g. shooting from battlements - net them and snipe).

Grenades: The grenades have two purposes. In normal combat, I mostly use the grenade kit for the tool-belt skill which is an awesome damage boost (I hit an NPC for >7K in WvWvW yesterday which for me is a record, largely because my other 80 is a support build Guardian). They are also useful as AoE for hitting people on battlements.

Flamethrower: This is my "trench gun", used for close up spammy kiting fights with large groups of enemies (e.g. bursting into the SM lord room). Good ranged on the 2, knockback on 3, nice cone auto-attack.

Elixir gun: This is used for support skills (aoe heals) and single target damage to targets that the rifle is less useful against (its DoTs are useful against Camp Superintendents for example, or against targets that break combat with stuns/stealth).

I haven't really settled on an elite I like. I've currently got the mortar slotted in although it seems a bit rubbish.

I really love this build, but I'm not gonna pretend that automatically makes it any good for anyone else, and my tiny Asura is adorable which is a massive plus.

Edit - Forgot to mention: I put runes of vampirism in my gear - more power, some leeching, and I turn into an invulnerable mist form at 10% health, usually long enough to cast a heal. Force on my rifle, currently ruby orbs in my trinkets.

Retro

Can you buy the Personal Story "Mending" armor? Turns out you can't get the leggings for it and frankly my Mesmer looks odd without it.

I'm fairly certain Centurion Truthbringer, a Karma vendor in Southwestern in the Iron Marches sells them under the name "Mortar Team Light Leggings". I know he sells the heavy armor version (also called "Mending" and received via the Personal Story). I don't have a cloth wearer high enough level, but if you link this to yourself in chat, you can preview the item; [&AgG2EAAA]

ThinFinn

Can you buy the Personal Story "Mending" armor? Turns out you can't get the leggings for it and frankly my Mesmer looks odd without it.

Some of the armor rewards from story quests are "unique". They can't be found anywhere else.

No idea if this "Mending" armor you're seeking is in such a category or not. Let's hope it's the latter.

/Crosses fingers

It's what happens when I've spent too much time playing an elementalist alt and get used to dancing stances and try to play an engineer :)
Might have to try your build next time I WvW. I've had a really hard time getting a build I like in WvW.

I really wish that I could save builds and load them quick so it's easy to jump from PvE to pvp

Retro

January Update is up:
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/january-2013/

Flame and Frost Prelude
The sky falls and the ground shakes in the lands of the north. Charr and norn refugees crawl from the wreckage of their homes in the Wayfarer Foothills and Diessa Plateau, struggling to find shelter in the south. The call goes out for volunteers to assist the victims in this time of need, when earth and sky seem to have become the enemy&#8230;

Flame and Frost: Prelude is the prologue to a multi-stage narrative that will bring big changes to Guild Wars 2 in the months to come.

New Features:
Temple of the Silent Storm Week
From January 28&#8212;February 4 the regular eight-team/three-round paid tournaments will be replaced by two-team/single-round paid tournaments in the Temple of the Silent Storm map. After the week is over, we&#8217;ll add Temple of the Silent Storm to the regular rotation of both free and paid tournaments.

Improved Achievement System
We&#8217;re adding a new rotation of daily achievements to add variety and encourage you to explore the open world. You&#8217;ll get different achievements every day of the week and a new achievement tracker in the UI to make it easier to track your progress.

New Achievement Laurels
You&#8217;ll earn these brand-new laurels as a reward for daily and monthly achievements!

Redeem these laurels for rewards like the new Ascended gear and Infusions!

Guesting
With the new guesting system, you can play with friends on other worlds in the same region (North America, Europe) without changing your homeworld. Guesting is free, but going forward there will be a gem fee for transferring home worlds, so make sure you&#8217;re on the home world you want to permanently play on before 28 January!

New Utility Infusions and Ascended Amulets
We&#8217;re adding a wide range of new gear that can be purchased with the new laurels.

With 5 new Utility Infusions and 30 Ascended Amulets to choose from, there&#8217;s something for every style of player.

More Upgrades and Improvements
We&#8217;re making a ton of other improvements to the game this month, such as enhanced performance in WvW, adjustments to side-kicking balancing, and UI improvements, which will be detailed in our release notes.
New Items in the Gem Store

It&#8217;s a new year, which means all-new items and a redesigned favorite in the Gem Store!

From Baby Quaggan Backpacks to Riding Brooms to the revamped Box o&#8217; Fun, you&#8217;ll find it all in the Gem Store!

Moondrop

Banned
While I always support creative theorycraft, I never feel right facing opponents in WvW without a stun breaker. Also, my Asura uses the D-series golem elite skill. You can trigger a projectile-proof bubble on command, which might be better than mortar.

As to the update: ascended amulets, that's my take-away.

Retro

7d2ffQuaggan.png

Coooooooo...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom