• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

zon

if it's not FOV slider i'm going to throw a keyboard so hard at their faces. i swear to god.

the update sounds great. getting some shit from dailies will make me login and do them again. i just hope it's not a stupid number that anet loves to do.

It's one of the few things I really miss in GW2, I want to be able to install and use completely custom UIs like you can do in WoW or AoC.

Arcteryx

Quick question. How is the over all player base for this game at the moment? I am looking for a game I can play a few hours a week with a friend and he is currently just playing WoW. Not sure if I want to jump into that game for a few reasons.

Also is there is much PvP? I've read WvW is more common. Could be wrong.

Thanks GAF.

Player base is really quite good, but it does depend on the server. One of the reasons I hopped servers was that SBI just felt dead even in LA during peak times(not to mention out in the world). Totally different experience on the server I xfer'd to; can't say it will last for years, but it definitely seems to have a more "active" community(not just WvW/PvP centric like SBI seemed in the past).

Regardless, with guesting coming and gw2lfg you won't really have any issues finding a group to do stuff with.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Quick question. How is the over all player base for this game at the moment? I am looking for a game I can play a few hours a week with a friend and he is currently just playing WoW. Not sure if I want to jump into that game for a few reasons.

Also is there is much PvP? I've read WvW is more common. Could be wrong.

Thanks GAF.
The playerbase as a whole is, well, vast. To be blunt, GW2 after sixish months, has become the third best-selling MMO of all time behind WoW and GW1 unless you count each WoW expansion as a seperate game. Concurrency varies but the reality of the day-to-day numbers is very impressive. I haven't really had Arcteryx's experience with SBI feeling dead to me, though I rarely spend time in the "true" LA for Stormbluff Isle.

Either way- guesting, which lets you essentially server hop without restriction for everything but WvW, will further blur the lines of seperation between the segments of the player base. There's essentially always going to be someone around to do stuff with. I have no trouble going out on a limb and saying that it certainly will last for years, with the typical ebbs and flows as new content and hype is generated. I'm also quite happy with our guild activity; we're very casual, but have a really solid group of active players and have had great turnouts for our events.

sPvP is an entirely separate entity from the PvE and WvW side of the game. It doesn't involve leveling or "gearing up" to any extent; all stats and skills are available to you from minute one. It only has one game type for the moment- control points- spread across a variety of maps that each add a twist or two on the standard "king of the hill" formula. It's very early in its life cycle, though. It's by far the area of the game I've touched the least and hasn't been adopted notably as any sort of serious eSport yet. Anecdotally it is a lot of fun when you win though.

Concept17

We'll only make it worse, as there really isn't a profession that is underrepresented on GAF. We even have a slew of dedicated Necro players (don't let that scare you, they're much better now but for a while they were in a bad place). This jives pretty well with what we've heard from ArenaNet on the representation of professions in game.

Play what you enjoy the most, and honestly give them all a fair shake. A lot of people started off pretty confident with their choices, then they fell in love with something completely out of left field. For example, my wife was pretty sure she was going to go Ranger. Then Elementalist. Then she found Mesmers and that's been her main for a while now.

Unless you're boring, like me, and you stuck to your guns (well, Rifle) and played a Warrior since the freakin' Beta Weekends.

Now if you want to ask about race, I am sure the Asura Defense Force will chime in quicker than a Transmutating Inversion Matri-thizer set to Sublimate. That's "pretty quick" in Bookah.

Excellent. Yeah for races the last one I would choose would be Asura. Nice animations, but I don't like playing tiny characters.

Right now I'm leaning towards playing my necro. Any suggestions on weapon choice? Are any of them not very good or that I should be avoiding?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Asura's the best race so that's an easy choice.
;)

I'm not a Necro expert (mine's level 2) so I'll leave that one up to others. I liked scepter when I tried it, poison from a distance woo! :p

Arcteryx

Excellent. Yeah for races the last one I would choose would be Asura. Nice animations, but I don't like playing tiny characters.

Right now I'm leaning towards playing my necro. Any suggestions on weapon choice? Are any of them not very good or that I should be avoiding?

I think staff/well builds are still king, but I haven't really touched the class since I hit 80 with it. Still too many bugs/issues and a lack of overall builds imo. It's definitely better than it used to be, but I would check the class forums first to make sure that the playstyle you are interested in pursuing is viable.

Moondrop

Banned
sPvP is an entirely separate entity from the PvE and WvW side of the game. It doesn't involve leveling or "gearing up" to any extent;

This isn't strictly accurate. You do gain sPvP-specific levels. Currently they don't seem to affect anything other than the types of sPvP-specific cosmetic gear you can craft, however the developers have said they will use this system for better matchmaking in the future.

I'll run you tonight if you like!

I did some more Googling and it turns out that set is the PvP Stately Armour, and a PvE equivalent is the Shadow Leggings. Best part is that the karma merchant is in Timberline Falls, where the next part of my Personal Story took place. So I ran there, grabbed the armour, and did the mission.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

I am in love with Staff + Scepter/Dagger. Slapping conditions on everything and throwing conditions back on enemies is a hoot. Due to the nature of conditions (you slap them on and watch the enemy slowly die), you don't need to stand still or get close after you have applied them (until you need to apply some more). This makes for some easy PvE as you can fire your conditions and then kite around so you aren't hurt. Makes solo'ing Veterans cake.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Played the whole beta as an Asura Guardian with the intentions of that being my main, but the clipping was just horrendous.

Instead went human engineer, because.....I have no idea

I think I'm the worst.

Played Asura in beta, loved it. Played an Asura Guardian to 80...then hated how shrunken my armor/weapons were along with clipping issues. Then leveled a Norn Guardian to 80. Yup, I have two level 80 Guardians.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This isn't strictly accurate. You do gain sPvP-specific levels. Currently they don't seem to affect anything other than the types of sPvP-specific cosmetic gear you can craft, however the developers have said they will use this system for better matchmaking in the future.
SUre, what I meant was that you don't increase in power, gain new skills or stastically superior gear. There is no character progression beyond the cosmetic.
Hey guys... Im new to the forums and GW2 have a lvl 20 ranger... was wondering if I can get a guild invite?
If you don't get added before tonight, send an in-game mail to Hawkian The Blade.

Moondrop

Banned
But the levels let me feel like I'm progressing- that's all that matters, right?

I was being a bit pedantic, but if you consider things from a Sirlin-type perspective, the best way to improve your PvP skills is by playing people at your level or slightly higher. That's difficult in the current system where you could be facing noobs or juggernauts from match to match.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sure okay but improving your skill is progressing as a player and totally unrelated, almost implicitly not related, to character progression.

Consider things from whatever perspective you like, none of the total statistical values that comprise your character's strength ever increase in sPvP (nor should they!).

I don't think the current Gear-Unlock ranking in SPvP will be used to match make as it's only determined by grind. They'll institute an ELO type of system. In fact there's one that's already somewhat in place.

Moondrop

Banned
I was joking, but I should have been more clear. Indeed there is no character progression in sPvP; there is only player progression in terms of your fighting skills as well as your building skills (the underrated component).

Jest Chillin, I'm not aware of any matchmaking system for hot-join or tournament sPvP. I thought that was supported by the stated intentions to institute such a system:
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/colin-johanson-on-guild-wars-2-in-the-months-ahead/

But it may not be based on sPvP-levels, true.

Player base is really quite good, but it does depend on the server. One of the reasons I hopped servers was that SBI just felt dead even in LA during peak times(not to mention out in the world). Totally different experience on the server I xfer'd to; can't say it will last for years, but it definitely seems to have a more "active" community(not just WvW/PvP centric like SBI seemed in the past).

Regardless, with guesting coming and gw2lfg you won't really have any issues finding a group to do stuff with.

The thing I hope they add that WoW did recently is underflow zones. It sucks we have servers in the first place since a single world would have been more ideal. But I can't really see a different way to do WvW aside from factions (which has its own problems - see ESO).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The thing I hope they add that WoW did recently is underflow zones. It sucks we have servers in the first place since a single world would have been more ideal. But I can't really see a different way to do WvW aside from factions (which has its own problems - see ESO).
A single persistent shard is absolutely untenable for the amount of concurrency they're handling. Any kind of "be there" event like the beginning of a holiday event or a live one-time content event would bring the game offline for everyone. :p It sounds great in theory with a very controlled players-per-zone #, but unless you mean maintaining the current approach to overflows with only one "main," it would be horrific in practice. And if you do mean that, you'd just always be in an overflow, which would wind up being relatively functionally identical to the way things are with guesting but without server names. :p

That said, I have heard underflow mentioned as a "someday it'd be great" type of thing. It's not in active development, but I definitely think it meshes philosophically with what ANet hopes to accomplish. Ideally, it seems to me that they want the only thing your server matters for to be your identifying "home" in WvW.

Shouldn't we all transfer to a new World when I think about it ?

I mean, we got those who care about WvW and those who don't.

So technically, it wouldn't change much for those who don't WvW, thus we wouldn't be a fractured multi-World guild in the end, right ?

Am I right ?

:(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Can we get your account name (with the .#### portion of it) so whoever catches it can add you between now and when Hawkian goes online at the latest?
Good call; just out of curiosity, doesn't a character name work just fine for the purposes of adding to the roster, too? Or do they have to be online for it to work unlesss you have an account?

A single persistent shard is absolutely untenable for the amount of concurrency they're handling. Any kind of "be there" event like the beginning of a holiday event or a live one-time content event would bring the game offline for everyone. :p It sounds great in theory with a very controlled players-per-zone #, but unless you mean maintaining the current approach to overflows with only one "main," it would be horrific in practice. And if you do mean that, you'd just always be in an overflow, which would wind up being relatively functionally identical to the way things are with guesting but without server names. :p

That said, I have heard underflow mentioned as a "someday it'd be great" type of thing. It's not in active development, but I definitely think it meshes philosophically with what ANet hopes to accomplish. Ideally, it seems to me that they want the only thing your server matters for to be your identifying "home" in WvW.

That's what I meant when I said ideally. It would have been in a disaster with GW2's current engine and state. My dream game would be a single world where everyone could techncially meet each other without the lag and other problems that come with it (actually my dream game is Elite + Freespace + EVE Online but that's another topic =P).

So technically, it wouldn't change much for those who don't WvW, thus we wouldn't be a fractured multi-World guild in the end, right ?

Am I right ?

Guild influence/bonus is server-side only. Plus there's the whole mess of actually trying to get our entire guild into another "WvW" competitive server.

Katoki

Good call; just out of curiosity, doesn't a character name work just fine for the purposes of adding to the roster, too? Or do they have to be online for it to work unlesss you have an account?

I find it safer to have the numbers as well in case they're offline. I've never really paid attention to if they were online or not when adding them so that's something to find out eventually. On top of that, assuming the character they're on is their NeoGAF name sometimes doesn't work at all.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I find it safer to have the numbers as well in case they're offline. I've never really paid attention to if they were online or not when adding them so that's something to find out eventually. On top of that, assuming the character they're on is their NeoGAF name sometimes doesn't work at all.
No no of course, I was just wondering if we'd confirmed that we couldn't ask people for a character name instead. I'll test it next time I get an IGM add request :)

xeris

I use dagger/focus and staff, but I've got a more tank/light-healer build than a dps build. Staff seems to be pretty much a standard weapon choice for most builds I've seen at least as a secondary. Avoid pet-heavy builds. The AI isn't up to it and they're vastly underpowered at this point.

jersoc

It's one of the few things I really miss in GW2, I want to be able to install and use completely custom UIs like you can do in WoW or AoC.

i won't disagree there.

one thing i do really hope they fix is setting your ui to small and still being able to read the TP

So what's the quickest way to level up an alt? I have a level 16 warrior and I want speed her up to level 30 so I can at least mix things up and run dungeons on occasion with her.

Crafting? Personal story? Griding out events?

Complistic

So what's the quickest way to level up an alt? I have a level 16 warrior and I want speed her up to level 30 so I can at least mix things up and run dungeons on occasion with her.

I really don't think any one is faster than the others. Just play the game. If you just focus on one aspect it's going to feel like a grind and that's never any fun.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Am I right ?

First off, just to get it out of the way, GAFGuild will not be moving its home server. I wouldn't want to even if it was my call, but it's not anyway- it's off the table.

There are a few things you need to consider though:

The bit about "those who care about WvW and those who don't" is a kind of false dichotomy. I don't think you could divide this guild into those two categories at all. It's a little reductive to imply you either care about WvW- and thus want to transfer to a consistent tier 1 or 2 server with many hardcore WvW guilds- or don't care about it, and thus don't care what server your on. I love WvW, especially in concept and when considering its potential, but I didn't particularly love the matchups that we tended to rotate through and the tactics we seemed to encounter with frequency when bouncing around tier 1. To me, WvW is not hardcore dedicated PvP... it's something pretty unique. It's filled with inherently unfair elements. There are hybrid PvE events and jumping puzzles. It scales you up so that you can make an impact at level 1, but you can level up in it too. The state of the game can change dramatically while you're asleep. There are force multipliers at every turn. It's awesome, but it's not the kind of gameplay that I want to be really gung-ho about competing at the highest echelons in. I really wouldn't mind playing against some servers that don't take it quite as seriously. It would be great from my perspective if we wound up in a matchup where a small GAF team could really run the table on a map that we'd get obliterated on in Tier 1. Other players feel differently about this and that's beyond fine- the beauty of the game's architecture is that it'll make little practical impact for them except for WvW, and we can even make them remote influence operators so they won't altogether lose out on the guild bonuses in the crossfire. That aspect alone makes it simply not that big a deal.

Something else to consider is the fact that we have an awful lot of members of various levels of activity. We're at around the 300 mark last I checked. It's quite honestly a tiny minority that regularly post on these forums. Attempting to coordinate a mass exodus solely for the purpose of remaining where the hardcore WvWers are just doesn't really align with our philosophy. If even a handful of people happen to not be playing and keeping up with our plans for a while, I want them to know that when they log back on, SBI is still our home- not find themselves stranded and forced to cough up some gems to transfer.

Also, bear in mind that the overwhelming majority of people transferring for WvW-related reasons are doing so to high-to-full servers. Hoping that we can get each and every one of our members over to the same one without us hitting a cutoff is incredibly risky and there would be no way to know if we could fit without trying. It's a much better solution in my eyes for individuals to make their own decisions about what's best for their gameplay experience and the possibility of joining a secondary guild for WvW only and guesting with us for everything else. That way they don't have to all go to the same server either if they don't agree on a "correct" one.

Finally, I just want to stress that we've never positioned GAFGuild as a hardcore WvW (or hardcore anything) guild. There was a ton of deliberation about what server to land the guild on, but WvW ranking didn't factor into that discussion at all (and in fact SBI was Tier Pathetic or something around the time we made the decision). We had no idea what would happen. The surreal bit is that this entire scenario wouldn't really be relevant to us as a guild except that SBI just happened to be ridiculously successful in WvW and regularly ranked at the top. Again, while it would be tragic for the people who were into hardcore WvW to be cut off from that experience and forced between choosing that versus the ability to stay in the guild, guesting makes that a complete non-issue.
Guilds are World-based ? Doesn't change if leaders transfer ?

Weird system.
It doesn't matter which members of which ranks are on which servers so much as you can only spend influence on the server you're on. So the guild members on other servers can earn and spend their own influence (at a slower rate than us of course) :p We do already have guild members on other servers even without Guesting; it's not a requirement to be on SBI, but SBI is our home.

Arcteryx

Crafting is the fastest, but then again it costs gold. If you only want to get from 16->30 real quick, I would suggest finding a quick repeating event an just "grind" it until DR sets in.

The alternative is to find a cooking guide(I recommend: http://gw2crafts.saladon.net , the dynamic crafting guide from Reddit), most right now will run you ~2-3g 0-400, which will net you ~10 levels (probably less than 30 mins including buying mats from TP).

If you go the event route, there are a few centaur events in the human areas that repeat REALLY fast, usually netting you a level in ~30-40mins of play.

Trey

I'm gonna stay on SBI. When I decide to get serious in WvW, I'll just have to cut my teeth on small time servers.

Good luck to Moondrop and others.

@alt leveling: I leveled my alt to 80 by maxing four crafts and doing events and skill points. Also did a fair bit of the personal story. Took about sixty hours.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Crafting with a guide is essentially converting gold into XP and by faaaar the fastest way especially if you shell out for a crafting booster.

That said- if you're comfortable/skilled, the most FUN and fast way to level in my opinion is to tackle content in a zone 5-10 levels above you. Even if the area mobs one shot you, you can do hearts with noncombat objectives, get waypoints/vistas/etc., get even Bronze awards on events, all for yummytimes XP.

Personal story also seems to always reward you about a 3rd of a level if you do it at the level you're meant to do it at or thereabouts.

Crafting is the fastest, but then again it costs gold. If you only want to get from 16->30 real quick, I would suggest finding a quick repeating event an just "grind" it until DR sets in.

The alternative is to find a cooking guide(I recommend: http://gw2crafts.saladon.net , the dynamic crafting guide from Reddit), most right now will run you ~2-3g 0-400, which will net you ~10 levels (probably less than 30 mins including buying mats from TP).

If you go the event route, there are a few centaur events in the human areas that repeat REALLY fast, usually netting you a level in ~30-40mins of play.

Thanks! I'll give some crafting a shot.

xeris

What I've done on some lower level characters is do crafting to get the levels between story missions then head out and do the story to break things up a bit and grab some cash and waypoints then go back to crafting. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

Proven

It looks like I'll be on again tonight at 9pm EST. Will probably pick a borderlands map this time.

I'll be on tomorrow night as well, and then I'm packing for Kaineg. I guess these are my farewell events.

demented

Small patch, wonder what's in it

Edit: GuildWars2: We've just updated the game for routine maintenance only. No content changes were included
from twitter

Ghost23

Is there a website that shows what all of the exotic armor looks like? I need to find armor pieces that match what I am looking for.

Katoki

Is there a website that shows what all of the exotic armor looks like? I need to find armor pieces that match what I am looking for.

The other method other than gw2armor.com would be to hop into The Mists via the crossed sword icon and to run over to an armor locker. You can right-click preview the armor skins then run a search for "pve equivalent of _______," with the blank being the name provided from the armor locker which is the SPvP specific armor name. The exception here would be the cultural armor though as I'm not sure where to preview them besides for the vendors in their respective cities themselves.

Ghost23

This site is quite useful but not sure if it has everything: http://www.gw2armor.com/

Katoki said:
The other method other than gw2armor.com would be to hop into The Mists via the crossed sword icon and to run over to an armor locker. You can right-click preview the armor skins then run a search for "pve equivalent of _______," with the blank being the name provided from the armor locker which is the SPvP specific armor name. The exception here would be the cultural armor though as I'm not sure where to preview them besides for the vendors in their respective cities themselves.

Thanks, guys. I'm thinking about a mix of the light Cof armor with the light Priory armor. Both look amazing.

Concept17

Alright, digging into my necro a bit now (level 12) and I'm a little confused about conditions. I get that they are any effect on you or a mob given from a skill/ability. But how do you manage them/keep track of them using the abilities the necro has? Is there a 'condition' build? Is it viable? Is my time better spent working on a different kind of build? Guess I'm a little lost atm.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Conditions are only negative effects on enemies; good effects on you and allies are called boons.

edit: Er, you can have conditions on you too of course and that's bad. But I think the Necro has a lot of ways of mitigating that- not my area of expertise though.

At level 12, you don't need to worry THAT much about your build. You don't have access to your traits in a meaningful way. You can retrait any time you want for a tiny fee. Just try and see which weapons you like and get good at the core mechanics of the game for now. You don't even have all the skill slots unlocked until level 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom