• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taffer

Alright, digging into my necro a bit now (level 12) and I'm a little confused about conditions. I get that they are any effect on you or a mob given from a skill/ability. But how do you manage them/keep track of them using the abilities the necro has? Is there a 'condition' build? Is it viable? Is my time better spent working on a different kind of build? Guess I'm a little lost atm.

I'm liking conditionmancer more than I thought I would, I'm not dependant on minion AI and there's less standing still and autoattacking than as a minion master.
Have a look at the utility skills marked as 'Corruption' (Blood is Power, Epidemic, Corrupt Boon & Corrosive Poison Cloud), they all put some conditions on you and more on your target. The general idea is that you lay conditions on yourself and your target and then use Dagger skill 4 (or Staff 4) to transfer your conditions to your foe or use the healing skill Consume Conditions to wipe them off yourself. Scepter auto-attack lays bleed-bleed-poison on them as well and scepter 2 & dagger 5 put more bleeds on (and cripple and weakness respectively).

etiolate

Banned
Can an Engineer player tell me more about the skill Grenade Barrage?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrQ8KJ2Vi_I

It's the toolbelt skill for grenade kit. It is also triggered as a PBAOE by the Kit Refinement trait. It also gains damage from the Grenadier trait. It looks like from that damage report readout that the Engy had Static Discharge trait as well which fires off a Chain Lightning when you use a toolbelt skill.

So Grenade kit + Grenadier + Kit Refinement + Static Discharge + Other Grenade boosting traits + a trait like Sitting Duck for boosting damage versus immobilized targets.

That is ridiculous, I've been playing engi and I just found out today about the tool traits like static discharge. I've been trying to figure out traits that I want, but it's tough

demented

Mentioned this in game a few times but gonna ask here too.

I'm a necro and I'm this build: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OCcT7iJUrA

Now my problem is I haven't started gearing up at all because I'm not sure if I want to commit. If I start gearing up just like in that video great, but I'm starting to do WvWvW more than anything and I'm not sure if it's viable for that, do I need other kind of gear, other sigils and stuff, other build? Can't farm new sets every time, takes too long.
Yes, I'm over-thinking this but I want the best, or well close to best for it's purpose and it's been annoying me ever since, if I knew the right direction, what gear to get etc I could have been playing more and getting it instead of being annoyed at having nothing and having nothing to do.

Very bored of the Guardian class now, there's very little we do 'well' compared to all the other classes.

Our damage is poor.
Our healing is poor.
Our buffs are poor.
What little crowd control we have is terrible.
We have to stand still to cast most of our stuff.

We're just kite bait. This game does a lot of things really well, but at the end of the day they've completely neglected the balance of classes and abilities. I know this is old hat judging the state of PVP at the moment, but it's annoying.

Trey

Very bored of the Guardian class now, there's very little we do 'well' compared to all the other classes.

Our damage is poor.
Our healing is poor.
Our buffs are poor.
What little crowd control we have is terrible.
We have to stand still to cast most of our stuff.

We're just kite bait. This game does a lot of things really well, but at the end of the day they've completely neglected the balance of classes and abilities. I know this is old hat judging the state of PVP at the moment, but it's annoying.

I don't think there are enough mechanics in the game to justify eight professions.

They obviously can't consolidate them, so the best thing to do is to refine what they have and implement more variety.

We won't be getting new classes for a while.

Yeah, there seem to be 3/4 classes that do everything really well, and the rest just sort of... are.

Warrior
Elementalist
Thief
Ranger

They seem to the most 'complete'.

Arcteryx

I don't think there are enough mechanics in the game to justify eight professions.

They obviously can't consolidate them, so the best thing to do is to refine what they have and implement more variety.

We won't be getting new classes for a while.

Yep. I'd really like to see them make changes to the "feel" of different weapon sets. Some of the classes/builds just feel too similar; I want to see more "damn I'm glad I play X class" moments, instead of "I might as well hop on my Y class because it does it better".

Yeah, there seem to be 3/4 classes that do everything really well, and the rest just sort of... are.

Warrior
Elementalist
Thief
Ranger

They seem to the most 'complete'.
Exactly. Although, I would argue that even ranger isn't necessarily the "best" at anything. I see a lot of people mentioning this both in-game and on the forums. The Ranger forums are full of "Why should I play Ranger when Warrior does more ranged dmg?" type posts(check out the latest short vs longbow discussion: 99% of the posts are "neither is as good as a warrior").

Levyne

Banned
I don't crunch numbers or anything like that, but sometimes it seems like people forget that their damage as a ranger is divided amongst them and their pet. Depending on the buffs/situation, sometimes my pets hit harder than I do. And occasionally the pet has to do a tanking/kiting role instead so your damage output decreases although now there is ideally less pressure on the player.

I just wish pets dodged when the player does. On many bosses they die way too quickly because it's hard to get them to avoid aoe. Also, give them some damn agony resist!

I think people really need to stop looking at classes in terms of what is best to do X or Y and play the classes according to playstyle.

Keeping in mind that none of the content is gated and none of the rewards are better than others.. there's no need to be the best class to get the best rewards. It doesn't matter if Warrior does more Ranged damaged than a Ranger because the two play differently. Play the one whose playstyle you enjoy the most.

The only place where this doesn't apply is when you're talking about SPvP competitively. This is only because of the roles that are necessary to fill to be competitive at high levels of play. And in that regard, there does need to be some changes to allow for different playstyles to become viable. However, that doesn't mean that every class can and should be capable of doing everything under the sun at high levels.

Guardians are best played as Bunkers. They're incredibly hard to move from points when they're played skillfully in that regard. If you give them the ability to also be amazing DPS then it lessens the importance of the other classes builds AND allows people to play Guardians like a Shell Game in addition to removing the uniqueness about the classes.

Now that doesn't mean that Guardians shouldn't get some changes that brings their DPS up.. just that the nature of the mechanics and class design means they should never be Top DPS. Just the same as a Thief should never be able to be a Top Bunker.

I think people really need to stop looking at classes in terms of what is best to do X or Y and play the classes according to playstyle.

I've tried to play Guardian as a Guardian and while it works, it's not 'fun' and it doesn't feel right. I'm glad GW2 doesn't have the WoW mentality when it comes to groups and playing with people, as I don't think people would look for Guardians.

I'm trying to build a healing/support build, and while it's working, it's not very good. I really like the idea behind staff skill 5, but it takes like a second or two to cast, and only lasts for 3/4 seconds with a huge cool down, which makes it pretty pointless in the end. Especially considering that ranged DPS can shoot through the wall, and the max range to cast it originally isn't very good.

Staff skill 4 is another static casting skill, which takes several seconds to cast if you want to give full buff effect plus the heal on the last rotation, which makes it very easy to spot and interrupt. Yet other classes can cast the same kind of ability instantly and on the move.

Even though this is terrible advice in a genre dominated by min/maxing, the entire argument comes down to playstyle, and how some professions have the exact same function as another with much better results.

Yeah, this was the discussion I was having. Not so much literally class x better than class y, but the dynamics behind the classes kind of being a bit unbalanced. Such as Guardians having to stand still to do what other classes can do on the fly.

Trey

Even though this is terrible advice in a genre dominated by min/maxing, the entire argument comes down to playstyle, and how some professions have the exact same function as another with much better results.

I've tried to play Guardian as a Guardian and while it works, it's not 'fun' and it doesn't feel right. I'm glad GW2 doesn't have the WoW mentality when it comes to groups and playing with people, as I don't think people would look for Guardians.

I'm trying to build a healing/support build, and while it's working, it's not very good. I really like the idea behind staff skill 5, but it takes like a second or two to cast, and only lasts for 3/4 seconds with a huge cool down, which makes it pretty pointless in the end. Especially considering that ranged DPS can shoot through the wall, and the max range to cast it originally isn't very good.

Staff skill 4 is another static casting skill, which takes several seconds to cast if you want to give full buff effect plus the heal on the last rotation, which makes it very easy to spot and interrupt. Yet other classes can cast the same kind of ability instantly and on the move.

Yeah, this was the discussion I was having. Not so much literally class x better than class y, but the dynamics behind the classes kind of being a bit unbalanced. Such as Guardians having to stand still to do what other classes can do on the fly.

So you're talking about the SPvP side of things.. where you have a valid complaint. I know exactly how you feel as I play a Condition Thief and it just doesn't work well at all. This is where I feel Anet has to focus in order to balance things out a bit. Just recognize that even if things get changed a bit, you shouldn't expect Guardian's to become top support. They seem to be designed primarily for Tanking/Bunker and the amount of Heals is to support themselves primarily. Staff skills offer more group support but Guards just aren't meant to be strongest there. It would make them too valuable.

I'm not sure I'm getting what you're saying here but I'm going to attempt to respond. If I completely miss what you're saying, by all means let me know.

Playstyle as I'm discussing it, really refers to Class Mechanics rather than MDPS v RDPS or Support v. Tank. Ranges, Mesmers, and Necro's can all be considered Pet Classes but the way each utilizes the pet is pretty different.. so instead of wishing that Necro's Pets could play like Mesmers.. a player should play a Mesmer.

The game attempts to give every class viability in nearly every role. And on the PvE side of things, I think the game does this very well. A class doesn't have to be in the top performance of a role to be viable at that role and I've yet to see an encounter that absolutely needed a specific setup of roles in order to be defeated.

The issue that a lot of people seem to be having (and I'm not saying it's necessarily anyone here) is one where they can't get out of the mindset they've formed from other games where their class is looked at as undesirable if they're not the absolute best at a role.

I'm not a fan of 'the meta-game' where you have to roll a specific class/build to be any use in WvW or sPVP, but I think that's just me. If I want to be a Guardian I shouldn't be forced into be a Bunker Build, just because that's the only effective roll I can provide to the team. I should be able to build an effective mobile healing support guy too.

I completely agree with you Luchador, and I think the Anet devs realize that. The problem is how do you adjust the classes to have more viable builds? I think part of it making adjustments to the game mode but even that won't change certain things. They may have backed themselves into a corner by not separating the builds for PvE and SPvP like they did in GW1.

I completely agree with you Luchador, and I think the Anet devs realize that. The problem is how do you adjust the classes to have more viable builds? I think part of it making adjustments to the game mode but even that won't change certain things. They may have backed themselves into a corner by not separating the builds for PvE and SPvP like they did in GW1.

Easiest way is to make more varied PvP game modes. The entire meta-game is based upon CPs which is why bunker builds are extremely popular.

Easiest way is to make more varied PvP game modes. The entire meta-game is based upon CPs which is why bunker builds are extremely popular.

That fixes some of it but doesn't fix others. For example, regardless of Game Modes, Guardian's as a Support/Heal build won't be strong without an adjustment to the actual skills. Same with Thief Backstab/Heartseeker builds continuing to be very very strong. Or Warriors being dependent on CC/Bullrush/100blades.

Arcteryx

Keeping in mind that none of the content is gated and none of the rewards are better than others.. there's no need to be the best class to get the best rewards. It doesn't matter if Warrior does more Ranged damaged than a Ranger because the two play differently. Play the one whose playstyle you enjoy the most.

The only place where this doesn't apply is when you're talking about SPvP competitively. This is only because of the roles that are necessary to fill to be competitive at high levels of play. And in that regard, there does need to be some changes to allow for different playstyles to become viable. However, that doesn't mean that every class can and should be capable of doing everything under the sun at high levels.

Guardians are best played as Bunkers. They're incredibly hard to move from points when they're played skillfully in that regard. If you give them the ability to also be amazing DPS then it lessens the importance of the other classes builds AND allows people to play Guardians like a Shell Game in addition to removing the uniqueness about the classes.

Now that doesn't mean that Guardians shouldn't get some changes that brings their DPS up.. just that the nature of the mechanics and class design means they should never be Top DPS. Just the same as a Thief should never be able to be a Top Bunker.

But no one is advocating for Guardians to have both insane bunker ability AND dps. The issue many players see is that the secondary roles of some classes are better than the PRIMARY roles for others. It's great to say "play it how you want", but when you consistently see a warrior with a rifle absolutely destroying you(Ranger) in terms of ranged dmg(not to mention survivability)...yea that's when I see issues.

But no one is advocating for Guardians to have both insane bunker ability AND dps. The issue many players see is that the secondary roles of some classes are better than the PRIMARY roles for others. It's great to say "play it how you want", but when you consistently see a warrior with a rifle absolutely destroying you(Ranger) in terms of ranged dmg(not to mention survivability)...yea that's when I see issues.

Where is this being seen?

zon

Guardian is stupidly good in PvE, if you like doing dungeons/fractals it's highly worth leveling one to 80. Yeah the class sucks in PvP, that's why I leveled a thief first. :p

If there was anyone who wanted to join one of the higher ranked servers for WvW then my small guild is located on Seafarers Rest (if you want to have some small connection to neogaf). Pretty much all the hardcore WvW guilds from Far Shiverpeaks changed to Seafarers Rest so they have a very strong core of WvW players now.

WvW, PvP, dungeons, etc

I've yet to see a Warrior in SPvP use Rifle extensively at all. I can't speak to WvW but the nature of WvW makes it a different beast due to the large scale nature. I don't see how a Warrior being "better" at Ranged DPS in a dungeon should matter because dungeons don't require specific roles to be completed. I've only ever even heard of one encounter going more smoothly with greater DPS and if I'm not mistaken Anet was going to fix the design to alleviate that.

I also think it's a bit of a false classification to say that a Warrior using a Rifle is "Secondary" to it being Melee.

Arcteryx

I've yet to see a Warrior in SPvP use Rifle extensively at all. I can't speak to WvW but the nature of WvW makes it a different beast due to the large scale nature. I don't see how a Warrior being "better" at Ranged DPS in a dungeon should matter because dungeons don't require specific roles to be completed. I've only ever even heard of one encounter going more smoothly with greater DPS and if I'm not mistaken Anet was going to fix the design to alleviate that.

I also think it's a bit of a false classification to say that a Warrior using a Rifle is "Secondary" to it being Melee.

Maybe we differ, but I personally wouldn't consider bow/rifle to be a primary build for a Warrior.

Moondrop

Banned
Many people seem to have this false assumption that a ranger should do more ranged damage than a warrior. Why should this be so- because it's true in other games?

When you subtract out pet damage, ranger dps will never come close to that of warrior. Hence the secret to playing ranger is learning how to cause damage with your pets.

At least six of the eight professions have at least one specific role that they can play in WvW better than any other profession. This does not extend to sPvP however due to the existence of a meta-game, the inevitable product of serious competition.

Being that it's a weapon that's offered to the Warrior, it's just as Primary as any other weapon options. The Build is what the Class chooses with both it's Spec and Utility choices.

Arcteryx

Many people seem to have this false assumption that a ranger should do more ranged damage than a warrior. Why should this be so- because it's true in other games?

When you subtract out pet damage, ranger dps will never come close to that of warrior. Hence the secret to playing ranger is learning how to cause damage with your pets.

At least six of the eight professions have at least one specific role that they can play in WvW better than any other profession. This does not extend to sPvP however due to the existence of a meta-game, the inevitable product of serious competition.

Right, which is what happens a LOT in WvW. You end up having to just run off because your pet has either died, gotten stuck, or cannot reach your opponent(without using guard). In that case you might as well just be playing warrior because you won't be gimped(basically by 50%+) by a sidekick that doesn't work.

It's just frustrating to see a class that I enjoyed playing in GW1 be quite different in GW2. I dislike the heavier emphasis on pets(for reasons outlined above) and the lack of good "support" uses(I'm used to traps/interrupts and lots of them).

Levyne

Banned
I LOVE the new pet mechanics for the most part. I do miss the sheer number of interrupt abilities and effects from the first game.

When I read that they were going to make the pets smart, and they wouldn't be like pets in other games (to which I read 'WoW'), I got pretty excited. Then I played GW2 and the pets were just as dumb as the pets in GW2, to the point they'd track badly and cause strange events to happen.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Right, which is what happens a LOT in WvW. You end up having to just run off because your pet has either died, gotten stuck, or cannot reach your opponent(without using guard). In that case you might as well just be playing warrior because you won't be gimped(basically by 50%+) by a sidekick that doesn't work.

It's just frustrating to see a class that I enjoyed playing in GW1 be quite different in GW2. I dislike the heavier emphasis on pets(for reasons outlined above) and the lack of good "support" uses(I'm used to traps/interrupts and lots of them).
Yeah but that's all basically an issue with the efficacy of pets and their AI. I mean those are things to be fixed. Making rangers do more damage with ranged weapons than Warriors isn't really related, the mechanics of the classes are different. I definitely understand your frustration that the classes that have counterparts in GW1 are now very different. I really loved energy denial with my Mesmer in GW1 and now there's not even a such thing as energy.

The one thing I don't get is why the engineer can't switch between weapon classes. I mean other classes can why no love? I could see it taking away from the other kits but I mean it shouldnt be that hard to switch from 2 pistols to a shield or dual pistol to rifle. I also hope they make the kits viable in such a way that every ability is useful not just one or 2. The other thing I dislike which is totally off topic is how I can cancel spells by switch kits and the spell will go on cooldown, like casting super elixir, change to rifle before it finishes and not have it cast and wait a long time for the cooldown to finish. :(

Complistic

The one thing I don't get is why the engineer can't switch between weapon classes. I mean other classes can why no love? I could see it taking away from the other kits but I mean it shouldnt be that hard to switch from 2 pistols to a shield or dual pistol to rifle. I also hope they make the kits viable in such a way that every ability is useful not just one or 2. The other thing I dislike which is totally off topic is how I can cancel spells by switch kits and the spell will go on cooldown, like casting super elixir, change to rifle before it finishes and not have it cast and wait a long time for the cooldown to finish. :(

engies and ele's already have way more skills available than everyone else. If they had weapon swapping it'd be ridiculous. What they should have though is out of combat weapon swapping.

engies and ele's already have way more skills available than everyone else. If they had weapon swapping it'd be ridiculous. What they should have though is out of combat weapon swapping.

Yea that makes sense. Out of combat swapping would be sick, and that just reminded me of how I think its lame that you can't swap out of medkit with the same button like the other kits. I dont remember why they said you couldn't do that

Moondrop

Banned
My ranger WvW experience seems to be much different than y'all's. I suspect because I put my ranger in situations appropriate to its skills. If you use your ranger to zerg, follow commanders and attack keeps, then you are not putting your pet in the best position to succeed.

Oh, but you want to do what's best for you instead of your pet? You want to play WvW any way you like without regards for your profession's limitations? Ok, have fun, but don't complain that your profession is broken or underpowered.

Proven

It's the toolbelt skill for grenade kit. It is also triggered as a PBAOE by the Kit Refinement trait. It also gains damage from the Grenadier trait. It looks like from that damage report readout that the Engy had Static Discharge trait as well which fires off a Chain Lightning when you use a toolbelt skill.

So Grenade kit + Grenadier + Kit Refinement + Static Discharge + Other Grenade boosting traits + a trait like Sitting Duck for boosting damage versus immobilized targets.

It's fun and awesome and why I have the grenade kit on my bar. Big hitting AoE I can use from the tool belt whatever weapon/kit I have equipped.

My record is just over 7K and I'm not well geared.

Damn... I may at the very least have to go for Static Discharge whenever I get around to Engi.

There's still fun stuff you can do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y0_vYghW3A

But all I can say is that Guardian tends to be a very in your face class, which is why they get teleports to catch up to people. Greatsword has the pull, Hammer has the blast finisher that doubles as a leap, Sword has another teleport, and even Scepter has an immobilize. From your utilities and certain weapon skills, you have many ways to control enemy movement or give yourself swiftness while removing any snares in your way. Right now, Guardian is the best profession to run the front of a melee train.

Where is this being seen?

The Warrior Rifle is the best single target ranged dps weapon in the game, I think. Especially combined with a lot of the Warrior's bonus damage traits. To compensate, Rangers get more survivability, making their ranged weapons more about pressure than anything else.

While I do agree about the problems of classes eclipsing each other, part of it is because the game has become all about extremes. Have the highest burst damage, or the highest condition damage, or the highest survivability. Everything in the middle gets pushed out, and the metagame has been suffering because of it. There are a lot of really, really fun builds out there, and the only way they even get a smidgen of a chance to shine is if you take some of those cookie cutter builds to help carry them. Or play PvE.

And I'm going to wait and see about the culling patch to see whether or not I want to call Thieves undeniably OP. I can't play one without feeling guilty. And don't get me started on the current D/D Ele build.

My ranger WvW experience seems to be much different than y'all's. I suspect because I put my ranger in situations appropriate to its skills. If you use your ranger to zerg, follow commanders and attack keeps, then you are not putting your pet in the best position to succeed.

Oh, but you want to do what's best for you instead of your pet? You want to play WvW any way you like without regards for your profession's limitations? Ok, have fun, but don't complain that your profession is broken or underpowered.

And we come back full circle. I also agree to this statement to a degree. Classes seem to be built to perform certain types of jobs irregardless to player behavior, which causes a lot of gnashing of teeth when the majority behavior becomes at odds with a class. But even then, there are times where despite playing to your class' strengths, you're not going to pull out a win. Mostly because certain other classes' strengths are a bit stronger than yours. Which also reminds me that I need to make another Scepter Guardian update soon (still deciding between Knight and Cleric armor, but I think I'm going to try using Sword or Mace on the weapon swap instead of being only Scepter 100% of the time).

But anyway, there are still certain situations that are just an auto-loss for people, and there are classes that have an easier time forcing those situations. Warriors have it the worst in my opinion, but Engineers and Necros have problems too. And then every class has at least one thing wrong with it in an it's-way-too-underpowered-sense. Except maybe Thief, but I'm biased.

Okay, it's just past 9pm, so I'm getting on WvW for my last day in SBI.

etiolate

Banned
I have messed around with an Engineer build that uses Static Discharge plus Rifle Turret, Tool Wrench, and Battering Ram with dual pistols. It's mostly about bouncing attacks. You can snare a group with glue shot, then trick shot and then cycle through the toolbelt Rifle Turret, Wrench and Battering Ram skills to do their damage + trigger Chain Lightning. It's a lot of circle strafing but is pretty effective versus multiple targets. Piercing Shots would probably be good with the build but I haven't tried it yet.

Proven

I have messed around with an Engineer build that uses Static Discharge plus Rifle Turret, Tool Wrench, and Battering Ram with dual pistols. It's mostly about bouncing attacks. You can snare a group with glue shot, then trick shot and then cycle through the toolbelt Rifle Turret, Wrench and Battering Ram skills to do their damage + trigger Chain Lightning. It's a lot of circle strafing but is pretty effective versus multiple targets. Piercing Shots would probably be good with the build but I haven't tried it yet.

Sounds excellent.

Arcteryx

lol

So aside from zerging, attacking a keep, or following a commander...what else is there? If I wanted to 1v1 I'd go play PvP.

WvW revolves around keep/supply combat. One of those two ends up with the pet being useless, regardless if you are inside or out. That's hardly a l2p thing; it's an issue with the class design.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I haven't seen an event posted on gafguild.com for the story mode dungeon assistathon this weekend. I can't remember whose idea it was or who was supposed to run it. Somebody let me know ifI should attempt to organize it myself.

I was trying out static discharge last night, and I didn't realise that it has different properties depending on whether the tool belt skill is aoe,self target, or target. It seems to me that really good melee range

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom