• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

I haven't seen an event posted on gafguild.com for the story mode dungeon assistathon this weekend. I can't remember whose idea it was or who was supposed to run it. Somebody let me know ifI should attempt to organize it myself.

I'd do that. I literally need all the dungeon story modes, aside from AC.

Proven

Something else I forgot to mention from my last way-too-long-post.

Healing other people is hard. Healing power, while it has some party support potential thanks to things like Regeneration, is a stat that only scales well when you're constantly healing yourself (at least two skills/traits beyond your healing skill). Healing Power and Boon Duration (depending on the boons your class can get) are your active ways of supporting yourself, while Toughness and Vitality are your passive ways.

The good news is that every class has at least one trait that can be used to heal others consistently. What I dislike is that that trait is usually buried so deep in a trait line, often a Grandmaster Major trait. Which means if you build towards that type of active support playstyle, you have fewer points to use to find things synergistic with that trait, and those synergistic traits are usually in the other defense or support trait line, which is then part of the whole damn reason we get bunker builds up the wazoo. The same thing happens on the flip side, where the two offensive trait lines have too much synergy, causing people to often go for burst builds. Dammit ANet.

And another thing. I understand that PvP has it's own strict balance and so allowing certain stat setups from PvE is dangerous, but at the very least allow every stat setup from PvP to be in the other modes. Why the hell don't we have the same PvP Knights (Vitality/P/Pr) in PvE/WvW? Why did it take until the grossly expensive Apocathery to get PvP Shamans (Toughness/Cond/Heal)? And why did you go and split up these names in the first damn place and cause confusion across the player base? At the very least, rename PvP Shaman and PvP Knight to their PvE counterparts to keep consistency.

There's too much about this game that makes you want to make a build specifically for each mode. That would be great if you were playing only one class, but builds can have fine points that are just dissimilar enough that instead of having to remember 8 classes, I'd feel like I was remembering 24.

This turned into a rant, and I had to delete the paragraph on Giver's armor.

Lunar15

Guardian is stupidly good in PvE, if you like doing dungeons/fractals it's highly worth leveling one to 80. Yeah the class sucks in PvP, that's why I leveled a thief first. :p

Out of curiosity, what build are you using for PVE Guardian? I just got my Guardian up to level 80, and I don't really know anything about builds for it. Personally, I think I'm more interested in support, since I run with a lot of DPS heavy groups.

Proven

Oh. I just realized that the reason why Healing Power seems to scale so poorly is to allow people to use the myriad of healing skills/traits even if they don't stat into Healing. Maybe.

Out of curiosity, what build are you using for PVE Guardian? I just got my Guardian up to level 80, and I don't really know anything about builds for it. Personally, I think I'm more interested in support, since I run with a lot of DPS heavy groups.

I run a soldier rune build which allows me to remove conditions with shouts. I not only boost up my allies, but condition removal is just awesome.

http://www.gw2db.com/skills/calc/gu...|0|53498|53498|53498|53498|53498|0|0|0|0|0|0|

Basically you can interchange for no points in Precision and switch them to 10 points in virtue.
Couple this with a warrior who runs a shout/heal build and you will steamroll many of the dungeons, especially TA.

It's rather expensive for soldier runes, but this is what I generally use and have little problems in dungeons.

Katoki

Majority of the healing skills scale extremely poorly with healing power save for a few. When I played my guardian for a while, I read up on healing power for a slightly stronger support on the healing end (Google: "guardian healing power scaling"). You're best off supporting with actual support skills like the wall from staff, condition to boon from shout trait, healing from symbols and what not. Basically you'd have to go out of your way and then some to get a huge amount and even then the returns aren't worth it to most players since they want to be the "hero." Guardians will never match shout heal warriors.

Remember now that the "hero" does not support and support is NOT ALWAYS healing. Healing was/is pretty much saying "Take everything to the face and do nothing, I got you." IMO, that's not supporting..

Majority of the healing skills scale extremely poorly with healing power save for a few. When I played my guardian for a while, I read up on healing power for a slightly stronger support on the healing end (Google: "guardian healing power scaling"). You're best off supporting with actual support skills like the wall from staff, condition to boon from shout trait, healing from symbols and what not. Basically you'd have to go out of your way and then some to get a huge amount and even then the returns aren't worth it to most players since they want to be the "hero." Guardians will never match shout heal warriors.

Remember now that the "hero" does not support and support is NOT ALWAYS healing. Healing was/is pretty much saying "Take everything to the face and do nothing, I got you." IMO, that's not supporting..

Right, and most people tend to think that way. Luckily the players I play with most frequently happen to build our skills around each other's builds so we all tend to support each other in a way.

It's just fun to see these conditions being thrown at us and having to remove them instantly and keeping up heals. Gets boring after a while.

Retro

Right, and most people tend to think that way. Luckily the players I play with most frequently happen to build our skills around each other's builds so we all tend to support each other in a way.

It's just fun to see these conditions being thrown at us and having to remove them instantly and keeping up heals. Gets boring after a while.

Yep, the Necromancers in AC use their warhorn ability and dump a ton of Conditions (including fear) on everyone nearby. With our group, usually they're all cleared off before the fear has driven people out of melee range.

etiolate

Banned
The double Super Elixir drop with Engineers has been a nice little group healing tool. Only ticking at regen rates at the highest, but there's two of them at once and projectiles cleanse conditions through the combo field.

The Mesmer mantra healing trait actually does a 1-2k heal and you can do it every say 8-10 seconds, but its got a small PBAOE, and Mesmer healing outside of that is pretty crap. As mentioned about healing power scaling, higher healing power does almost nothing for improving the heal off of the Mantra trait.

The double Super Elixir drop with Engineers has been a nice little group healing tool. Only ticking at regen rates at the highest, but there's two of them at once and projectiles cleanse conditions through the combo field.

The Mesmer mantra healing trait actually does a 1-2k heal and you can do it every say 8-10 seconds, but its got a small PBAOE, and Mesmer healing outside of that is pretty crap. As mentioned about healing power scaling, higher healing power does almost nothing for improving the heal off of the Mantra trait.

Is the healing turret crap like most people say it is? I only have a level 22 engineer, but was wondering about their viability with heals...

Piecake

I think I might be done with Guild Wars 2. The day or 2 I played after my long break, I simply wasnt having all that much fun. Its not the fault of the game. Its more me getting kinda sick of the genre. Ill probably keep it installed and play it every so often when i get that mmo itch(thank you no subscriptions)

Well, if the Moletariat rise up and spread their gospel to the entire world, then I might be tempted to play again

Long live the Moletariat!

Is the healing turret crap like most people say it is? I only have a level 22 engineer, but was wondering about their viability with heals...

I've been using the medkit mostly since you get the condition removal and fury/swift buff as well. I havent really tried healing turrent mainly due to the fact that turrets never live very long in pve. Plus supply drop drops a healing turrent so you'll sort of have it

I've been using the medkit mostly since you get the condition removal and fury/swift buff as well. I havent really tried healing turrent mainly due to the fact that turrets never live very long in pve. Plus supply drop drops a healing turrent so you'll sort of have it

I'll have to definitely look into this. Spamming grenades got fairly boring and with the reduced damage, makes me want to play an Engineer less. =(

Katoki

I'll have to definitely look into this. Spamming grenades got fairly boring and with the reduced damage, makes me want to play an Engineer less. =(

Grenades are fun when you only play other classes and get a temporary kit for a heart quest somewhere in the world. Yep.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Guys, I'm gonna make a thread re: the dungeoning tomorrow to give it a little organization. It'll be going on sporadically for quite a while I imagine, but does getting things started around 4:00PM generally seem ok to you guys?

xeris

Guys, I'm gonna make a thread re: the dungeoning tomorrow to give it a little organization. It'll be going on sporadically for quite a while I imagine, but does getting things started around 4:00PM generally seem ok to you guys?

I'll do my best to be there. As always it depends on how ragged my son is running his mom.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thread!

Please feel free to post what dungeon(s) you wanna get done, as well as if you'd be willing to lead any you know. I'll try to set groups up beforehand if possible for efficiency.

I noticed a lot of talk about Stormbluff Isle being a poor WvW server from a few pages back but after checking the rankings from December, Stormbluff seems to be in second place..

Am I missing something?

I noticed a lot of talk about Stormbluff Isle being a poor WvW server from a few pages back but after checking the rankings from December, Stormbluff seems to be in second place..

Am I missing something?

It was forcasting. Those statements were made in the belief that since all the big WvW Guilds are leaving that SBI will drop to the bottom of the list. There's no telling whether or not that will actually happen (most likely the worst that would happen would be middle of the pack) but some don't want to end up stuck on SBI if it does and then be forced to pay money to transfer off.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
On that note... it looks like the rollover just occurred and we're in the same tier? Another week of getting skewered by Sanctum of Rall? :'(

Proven

I don't use healing turret. It does keep up regen in an area, but the issue is its kind of a pain in the ass self-heal.
I believe the Healing Turret gives the best burst of heal on a 20 second cooldown, but I only played Engineer during Wintersday up to level 10. What most people do is place it down, getting a heal immediately, then overcharge it for some extra health. During the second it's overcharged, I think it provides a water field too, but I'm not sure. After doing that, immediately pick it back up, putting it on a 20 second or so cooldown in your bar. That way you get a burst of health and never risk it getting blown up.

On that note... it looks like the rollover just occurred and we're in the same tier? Another week of getting skewered by Sanctum of Rall? :'(
http://mos.millenium.org/matchups#NA
Basically, SBI's rating was too high from all the time in tier 1. It'll finally go down this week enough that tier 3 will be the next matchup, swapping with Maguuma. The way the rating system works, it's not just about how well we do in a matchup, but also how everyone else is doing in their matchups. Plus, it's also designed to not suddenly shift people between tiers quickly.

I'm mostly surprised that Blackgate's done well enough to stay in Tier 1 instead of getting swapped with Sanctum of Rall.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ah looks like next matchup has up going to the bottom of tier 3, against Aspenwood and Dragonbrand. cool cool.

etiolate

Banned
I think I might be done with Guild Wars 2. The day or 2 I played after my long break, I simply wasnt having all that much fun. Its not the fault of the game. Its more me getting kinda sick of the genre. Ill probably keep it installed and play it every so often when i get that mmo itch(thank you no subscriptions)

Well, if the Moletariat rise up and spread their gospel to the entire world, then I might be tempted to play again

Long live the Moletariat!

THE MOLETARIAT SHALL PREVAIL

Well I was hoping you'd be back for some fractal runs, but I know all about genre burnout. I don't think I'll be doing another MMO anytime soon. If I take a break from GW2, it will be for completely different stuff. There's enough variety in the game to keep things fresh for now. Hopefully they add the Dredge as a playable race. I've never seen a female Dredge. Not sure I want to.

I believe the Healing Turret gives the best burst of heal on a 20 second cooldown, but I only played Engineer during Wintersday up to level 10. What most people do is place it down, getting a heal immediately, then overcharge it for some extra health. During the second it's overcharged, I think it provides a water field too, but I'm not sure. After doing that, immediately pick it back up, putting it on a 20 second or so cooldown in your bar. That way you get a burst of health and never risk it getting blown up.

Yea it does provide a water shield, but iirc it is very short. I will try out the healing turrent, but the only thing that keeps me on medkit is the nice swift buff I can get. This is the engineer build that I think I want. It's all about using the burn condition so hopefully it's good in pvp and pve

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fcU...AY8eXxC+UgtA;T0Ag1yvEeJ9S9lyLKeM8I4xyjjHJPDBA

Tankshell

Guys,

Haven't logged on in about 5 months (lvl 40 female human warrior, EUGAF guild)... have there been any new armour sets introduced in that time period? Kinda gave up on ever having a cool looking character due to the lame armour designs in the game. Shame as I love everything else about it.

Yaska

SBI seems to be pretty empty regarding WvW as of lately. So been pondering wether or not to switch my server to SoS or JQ now that the free transfers still exist. Any suggestions which one would be better?

Retro

I would like to add that, while not admonishing those who choose to leave, the majority of GAFGuild will remain on Stormbluff Isle and that is very unlikely to change. If people get the sense that 'everyone' is jumping ship, I just wanted to make it clear that this is definitely not the case.

demented

So I'm doing Arah path 4, going good no problems, 1 wipe due to bad pull but all good.
And then we get to Giganticus Lupicus aaaaand he's bugged. Hours wasted, barely anything to make up for it (6 tokens)... this bug has been in since launch fix it already. shit like this made me quit before -_-

Levyne

Banned
Hmm. Arah 4 still bugged? I had put off trying it since I heard the path was bugged (and difficult when not bugged) . Hope they fix it soon.

xeris

Yup, thanks Hawkian. TA was interesting. And oddly enough more enjoyable than the one path of it I had run before. Just need SE now on Ivogar to complete the set.

Concept17

Any rangers here? Was enjoying my necro quite a bit but decided to switch over to my ranger. Only level 21 so far, but the weapon switching flows so well with the class. Any recommended builds or anything I should be aware of going further with this class?

Proven

Current iteration of the Scepter build: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQRA...Ik/gpQj8IA;T4AA1Cto4xwjgHLPOek8sIYQwZjtAvNmCA

I wish Smite was a symbol. I'm swapping utilities so often that I'm still not sure what I want. I'm thinking of dropping the burning aspect of the build. I added some healing aspects (between the symbol traits, mace regen, and the virtue, you can keep perma regeneration) but when I tried going heavy into it I seemed to fail. The build is way too weak to condition spikes, and if I don't time my dodges right then direct damage can overwhelm me anyway. If I drop the burning I'll switch up the runes and take Sigils of Water. Whether I'm in PvE, PvP, or WvW I somehow end up fighting multiple people at once, or facing a spike build. I'm considering not using signets anymore since the offensive ones are single target, but I've only used consecrations otherwise so I need to start testing other utilities. The most annoying aspect of sPvP recently are thieves that honestly want to do nothing but heartseeker. Just heartseeker, farm glory, heartseeker. It doesn't even feel malicious anymore.

Still, I like the build. I just don't feel like it's effective enough. Day in and day out playing against D/D Eles and Thieves in WvW and PvP is starting to burn me out. Stats don't seem to matter, and I'm at that middle point of skill where I absolutely own weaker players just because I can smartly dodge twice and they use up all their cooldowns, but I get stomped by people that actually know how to bait dodges or switch things up. I enjoy pressure builds, but not only are close combat pressure builds at the bottom of the meta, I still don't feel like I'm good enough at it.

Moondrop

Banned
Any rangers here? Was enjoying my necro quite a bit but decided to switch over to my ranger. Only level 21 so far, but the weapon switching flows so well with the class. Any recommended builds or anything I should be aware of going further with this class?

I strongly recommend shortbow; it brought me back to ranger after only trying longbow in beta. Secondarily, I recommend at least 15 points in Beastmastery (to keep your pets alive) and that you test out the Jaguar.

Katoki

What does remote operator title in guild do?

For people not on Stormbluff Isle to access the accumulated influence they get from activities on the server they're on. Basically, the list of buffs that go up on the weekend only apply towards players on SBI and vice versa (So if you're not seeing a list of about 8-10 buffs from the guild icon, you're probably not on SBI).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom