• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought 800 gems on the store to transfer to SBI.
I didn't wanna buy 1600 because that was double the price.
Is there anybody who can lend me 200 gems? Or is it nog possible to give someone gems?
I can pay you back in gold for it (once I have some gold).

You can convert gems to gold and vice versa at the Black Lion Company. I think it was roughly 1 gold for 100 gems last time I checked.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I can help a bit, I just can't get on reliably... have you been (re)added to the guild yet? Make sure to post your account or a character name here.

I really want to come back to this game after quitting a week after launch. Is Yak's Bend a decent realm? I think that's where my toon was.

Lrn2reed

Neo Member
Thief feels like it was designed for me specifically, but Mesmer is one of the most creative and fun MMORPG classes I've played. Even though it's sad how different it is from what you could do in GW1

Same for me, the theif is the exact style of play i like. Constantly moving and flipping around, and I'm so glad i found the right spec to make dungeons easy mode..so far (heavy condition with auto heals, so good!).

Mesmer is my second favorite, and it's basically a magical theif. I do a lot of dodging around with it as well (I'm going to test a couple Superior Energy sigils for endurance and constant illusion spam!!). It also has a metric ton of burst opportunity if you set it up correctly.

If Anet ever decides to add a heavy armored evasion type class i would be in heaven...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Same for me, the theif is the exact style of play i like. Constantly moving and flipping around, and I'm so glad i found the right spec to make dungeons easy mode..so far (heavy condition with auto heals, so good!).

Mesmer is my second favorite, and it's basically a magical theif. I do a lot of dodging around with it as well (I'm going to test a couple Superior Energy sigils for endurance and constant illusion spam!!). It also has a metric ton of burst opportunity if you set it up correctly.

If Anet ever decides to add a heavy armored evasion type class i would be in heaven...
You mean you're using signet of malice, with your thief? I haven't played with it much, but I bet it makes pistol/pistol a blast.

Deceptive Evasion is so much fun as a high-level mesmer. With Debilitating Dissipation, if I have 3 clones out I can also blow one of them up by dodging, which feels badass. I haven't decided on sigils for him actually, but energy is a GREAT idea for at least 1.

Arg i missed the event you guys did! Damn my team would've been named TEAM ONION, because we will make you cry!
Retro's team and Jira's team were pretty serious, they were really neck and neck.
I really want to come back to this game after quitting a week after launch. Is Yak's Bend a decent realm? I think that's where my toon was.
Hah, we're up against them in WvW right now. They seem fine to me, just don't know about their pop. Pity you didn't get to transfer to SBI before the free transfers ended!

Right, "the team with Kos Luftar on it." I misspoke of course

Whatever.

I was the only one who had done that run before. I was the one "leading" the run, with wrong information about which red circles were safe.

Don't hate because your team came in last.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah yeah whatevs whatevs neither of you won either. >:O

Very cool though that you did path 3 through and only missed it by a few seconds. I like that not every dungeon's paths are just "Choose Easy-Medium-Hard"

Lrn2reed

Neo Member
Yep. I don't think signet of malice would work as well pistol/pistol though, that's more of a single target setup. It's very dependant on death blossom and caltrops.

"Whatever.

I was the only one who had done that run before. I was the one "leading" the run, with wrong information about which red circles were safe.

Don't hate because your team came in last."

Lol, that run got me to rethink dungeoning with a warrior. I think i'll stick with theif and leave the warrior to wvw.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yep. I don't think signet of malice would work as well pistol/pistol though, that's more of a single target setup.
It'd be a very different build from yours, but what I was thinking was reliant on tons of single-target projectile finishers.

Shadow refuge is a Dark field (one of only six in the game), so that's guaranteed life steal from Sneak Attack and Body Shot, and 1 out of every 5 other bullets (including in Unload). It could really pile up, and Shadow Refuge has its own regen as well. I'm willing to bet it could be viable, it would just take a more methodical, slower pace killing targets one by one quickly rather than group AOE.

I used Signet of Malice in SPvP during the Beta Weekends and it actually did quite well with Pistol/Pistol's unload. The single target aspect of it wouldn't work well during regular PvE but would probably be one of the better Thief choices in Single Target boss fights. It also no longer works all that well in SPvP due to the glass cannon nature of everyones build. The health you'd gain wouldn't really help too much.

Personally I like the Shortbow for most PvE and Dungeon encounters. I couple it with a build that's very focused on Mobility.

Retro

Just a heads up, there's a sale in the Gem Store this week:
Hello All,

We will be having a sale in the Gem Store from Monday February 4th through Sunday February 10th PST. The following items will be on sale:

Crafting Booster – 20% off

Regularly: 1 for 150 and 5 for 550
Sale: 1 for 120 and 5 for 440

Instant Repair Canister – 30% off

Regularly: 1 for 70 and 5 for 300
Sale: 1 for 50 and 5 for 200

Mystic Forgestones – 20% off

Regularly: 5 for 250 and 10 for 450
Sale: 5 for 200 and 10 for 360

Enjoy!

Lrn2reed, where you on our team?

All GAF Events are awesome.

In the meeting did you guys talk about making them weekly or monthly?

Jepsen and Ashodin weren't able to make it, but we did talk about doing more stuff as a guild AND trying to encourage regular members to come up with events themselves (anyone can create a thread in the Events and Announcements section, by the way).

I've got something I'm going to try and announce at the start of March (since it needs a whole month, definitely a long-term but laid back idea), Jira is still working on the specifics for a "Donation Rotation" event where people work together to farm materials, and Jepsen has said that the next Jumping Puzzle event is coming.

We'd like to get some guild WvW going on too.

Levyne

Banned
Oh yes I forgot. Still, both you and I hadn't run it in awhile.

You were my co-leader!

Yeah, and I still hadn't fully grasped the aoe circles either. I still haven't because I've never seen the center ice spike. I've always see the initial center icy-sheen and then nothing in the center and spikes on the outside.

Also I didn't realize I was the only one (or maybe one of 2?) with that destroyer's constant aoe. Makes firing the laser hard. Even stability doesn't prevent being interrupted.

Lrn2reed

Neo Member
What are you smoking? Shout/Support Warrior is the bee's knees in dungeons. The cat's pajama-jams in WvW too.

You can't have any, and I'm not sharing lol! Its great in wvw yea, but I like to spread my alts and have a purpose for each one =p

Kos, I was one Hawkians team, i used Aeru on that run.

Retro

Kos, I was on Hawkians team

There's your problem.
JUWnj.gif

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Mean people who also lost the race aside,

I just learned that the Jan patch added the ability to preview back slot items, and to preview particle effects on items for which they didn't show up before. Hooray!

Mean people who also lost the race aside,

I just learned that the Jan patch added the ability to preview back slot items, and to preview particle effects on items for which they didn't show up before. Hooray!

Time to update your GAF Guild thread about all the new stuff.

Speaking of patches, wonder if we will be hearing about Feb patch soon.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
whine is good for the auntie oxidents

anyway hey, Ryan transferred! Can any officers out there add Ryan.4281 if they get the chance before I do?

I'm no stranger to different MMO types but goddamn, it's gonna take me awhile to get comfortable with GW2 when I buy the game in a few weeks. Forget the whole guesting/home area crap, the economy/altered damage scale is going to be so weird.

Ferny

I'm no stranger to different MMO types but goddamn, it's gonna take me awhile to get comfortable with GW2 when I buy the game in a few weeks. Forget the whole guesting/home area crap, the economy/altered damage scale is going to be so weird.

It comes to you quickly. There are different currency types to track but once you get going with it, you learn it really quickly.

Doing the volcano quests at night take forever. Had to do some serious kiting of the golem at the sylvari camp (pop illusions, run to revive sylvari, repeat) and even then needed a passerby to kill it.

Then in the volcano I grouped up with a Guardian to kill the destroyers in the south area. They were respawning faster than we killed them. A warrior came from the waypoint though and we managed to push through it.

The three of us then had to defend the 3 points while the asura stabilized the volcano. With a constant stream of destroyers (and battle-happy asura), it was impossible for each of us to hold one point. So it was a lot of grinding while spamming chat with "megadestroyer coming up plz halp". Needless to say it took a long time.

There were probably only a dozen of us against the megadestroyer so there were a lot of downed people every time it jumped in the air and rained lava down on us. Good thing GW2 doesn't have 60% death penalty.

---

I was in the Mire Sea the other day running up to find the vista when I encountered a champion krait and a chest. While trying to open the chest I got killed. So I'm lying there dead with no vista and no chest (I even missed activating the closest waypoint so it would be quite a hike back) when I see an elementalist running up. Luckily she comes to rez me while her earth elemental tanks the krait. We actually manage to take the champ down (I think it got stuck so we just stood back and attacked it) and I open the chest and vista.

Retro

There's a bit of a learning curve, no lie, but it feels more like equal parts learning the nuance of GW2's mechanics (dodging, weapon swapping, traits) and un-learning the crap other MMOs have taught you (other players are competition, classes are painted into niche roles, running from quest NPC to quest NPC, etc.).

The economy isn't so rough; you can buy and sell on the trading post from anywhere, but only pick up the items you buy or money you make at a Trader NPC. All of the servers share a single economy, so there aren't wild fluctuations in prices between servers, and it's harder for people to mess with the economy.

Likewise, the altered damage scale isn't that odd; you and your gear auto-level to 80 in Fractals, PVP and WvW, and both down-level whenever you enter an area that's lower level than you. A common-quality weapon at Level 50 translates to a common-quality weapon when bumped up to 80. The only thing you really don't have increased are traits and skills (except in sPVP, where you get it all... which makes the Mists a good place to try out a class).

I can post a big list of tips if you want, just let me know. If you join GAFGuild in the game (You can be in multiple guilds, even ones that aren't on your home server, though we all play on Stormbluff Isle) we answer questions pretty quickly to the best of our knowledge.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Doing the volcano quests at night take forever. Had to do some serious kiting of the golem at the sylvari camp (pop illusions, run to revive sylvari, repeat) and even then needed a passerby to kill it.

Then in the volcano I grouped up with a Guardian to kill the destroyers in the south area. They were respawning faster than we killed them. A warrior came from the waypoint though and we managed to push through it.

The three of us then had to defend the 3 points while the asura stabilized the volcano. With a constant stream of destroyers (and battle-happy asura), it was impossible for each of us to hold one point. So it was a lot of grinding while spamming chat with "megadestroyer coming up plz halp". Needless to say it took a long time.

There were probably only a dozen of us against the megadestroyer so there were a lot of downed people every time it jumped in the air and rained lava down on us. Good thing GW2 doesn't have 60% death penalty.
Love the crap out of mount maelstrom, but I've never done that chain with fewer than 20 people around by the time we hit the megadestroyer part. Sounds sort of epic and fun, if lengthy.

---
I was in the Mire Sea the other day running up to find the vista when I encountered a champion krait and a chest. While trying to open the chest I got killed. So I'm lying there dead with no vista and no chest (I even missed activating the closest waypoint so it would be quite a hike back) when I see an elementalist running up. Luckily she comes to rez me while her earth elemental tanks the krait. We actually manage to take the champ down (I think it got stuck so we just stood back and attacked it) and I open the chest and vista.
LOVE when someone comes to rez you and you complete whatever you were doing when you died as a team.

edit:

re: Getting the hang of GW2 talk... as someone who hadn't played any subscription MMOs, I didn't find its systems difficult or confusing to learn at all. Especially the trading post, it basically just worked exactly as I expected. The sidekicking/downscaling technology is something you can completely ignore; you could really play a character to 80 without ever even noticing it. Just understand that you have to pay attention to your surroundings no matter where you are in the game, and reap the benefits- there's no area in the game that ever becomes wholly irrelevant to your progression. Anywhere you've never been before is worth going to.

Taffer

On top of that, I mean it skips the progress bar jobby while you open the chest and gives you the loot immediately.

Enabling Loot-All is a must for almost any MMO. Of course there are drawbacks to that when doing certain content in specific MMO's (raiding in WoW, buggy loot in SWTOR) but for the vast majority of content it's still quite useful.

Are you fully tank specced guardian or something? Because I've previously handled a laser solo sitting there on my hands for half the time. The hardest thing was noticing combat restarting when alt-tabbed.

Just in case anyone doesn't know, you can hit 'f' (or whatever you have interact bound to) twice to loot chests instantly, handy in Orr.

That's helpful, thanks. I should probably enable auto-loot too.

Are you fully tank specced guardian or something? Because I've previously handled a laser solo sitting there on my hands for half the time. The hardest thing was noticing combat restarting when alt-tabbed.

My mesmer has pretty good DPS but is squishy (my illusions aren't too strong either) so it's a little harder for me to solo things.

I've been using this build: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fgAQNAsaRl4zCpnRTlGZ9IxJFK35kUo6UX6BvztsB

Thoughts?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That's helpful, thanks. I should probably enable auto-loot too.

My mesmer has pretty good DPS but is squishy (my illusions aren't too strong either) so it's a little harder for me to solo things.

I've been using this build: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fgAQNAsaRl4zCpnRTlGZ9IxJFK35kUo6UX6BvztsB

Thoughts?
Hey, props to you if you can make mantras work (I assume you have all the correct mantra-related traits picked, wack that this build editor doesn't include traits...). In my experience, they're just not quite good enough at this stage in the game. They need an overall buff to make it worthwhile to align your entire trait build around them. But again, if it works for you, more power to you!

I use Time Warp under most circumstances by the way. You'll know when you need to swap to Moa for something specific.

Tendo

I'm getting back into GW2 something fierce and would like some people to run with. I'm not on Storm Bluff though :( Do I need to switch servers to be in the guild and run dungeons? If I pay for a transfer does that move all characters? Just curious if it is worth the ten bucks or if I'm ok sitting tight where I am.

Levyne

Banned
I'm getting back into GW2 something fierce and would like some people to run with. I'm not on Storm Bluff though :( Do I need to switch servers to be in the guild and run dungeons? If I pay for a transfer does that move all characters? Just curious if it is worth the ten bucks or if I'm ok sitting tight where I am.

You can run dungeons with us. I think you just need to be on a NA server.

Thoughts?

One thing that immediately comes to mind is wasting two traits (Dueling IV and Dueling IX) which can usually be covered much better by five points in Illusions for Illusionists Celerity. Restorative Mantras kind of becomes useless in combat since you should have your mantras at the ready as much as possible before entering combat and it only casts on prep not on mantra activation. Maybe take the 5 from there to stuff into Illusions?

Once you've reclaimed those traits back you can maybe look into Phantasmal Fury (Duelist II) and Deceptive Evasion (Dueling X). They synergize well with Critical Infusion (Duelist 5), Sharper Images (Duelist 15) and should give you a lot more trash to shatter with and distract enemies with. Phantasmal Fury stacks properly with Vengeful Images now making your phantasms pretty beefy.

Proven

Just a heads up, there's a sale in the Gem Store this week:

Jepsen and Ashodin weren't able to make it, but we did talk about doing more stuff as a guild AND trying to encourage regular members to come up with events themselves (anyone can create a thread in the Events and Announcements section, by the way).

I've got something I'm going to try and announce at the start of March (since it needs a whole month, definitely a long-term but laid back idea), Jira is still working on the specifics for a "Donation Rotation" event where people work together to farm materials, and Jepsen has said that the next Jumping Puzzle event is coming.

We'd like to get some guild WvW going on too.

I did not know this.

Anyway, sPvP night as run by me is cancelled for this week and possibly next. I've got jury duty which means early mornings vs. insomnia.

Tarazet

Level 17 on my Charr Guardian, and 100% completion on Ashford Plains. I started playing on Saturday, so I feel like that's pretty decent progress. I chose Armorsmith and Cooking, and leveling them mainly through discovery and trial and error. I haven't gotten a decent weapon drop in a while; how long should I wait before buying a blue off of the trading post? I was having enough trouble killing stuff with my greatsword that I had to switch to my sword and shield to start in the new zone.

Don't buy any weapons or armor from the TP until you're 80. It's a waste of Silver/Gold. Instead, as you're going through zones, focus on doing the Dynamic Events for Karma then check the Heart NPC's (after you fill the hearts up) and they should have the Armor and Weapons you need.

As for your crafting, you're on the right path. In GW2 the best way to level it is through Discovery (as opposed to other games where the best way is to grind through the known recipes).

Tarazet

Don't buy any weapons or armor from the TP until you're 80. It's a waste of Silver/Gold. Instead, as you're going through zones, focus on doing the Dynamic Events for Karma then check the Heart NPC's (after you fill the hearts up) and they should have the Armor and Weapons you need.

As for your crafting, you're on the right path. In GW2 the best way to level it is through Discovery (as opposed to other games where the best way is to grind through the known recipes).

Thanks, good to know I'm going in the right direction. I've been focusing on doing the daily achievement, because the extra Karma bonus is enormous and the coins seem like something I should be saving up as well. The daily dodger quest is one of the most fun for me, just find a cannon or a catapult and repeatedly dodge it.

etiolate

Banned
I'll add an exception to Just Chillin's point to say that I got Rare quality armor for my Engineer to make him scale better in WvWvW. It does make a difference in survival there, but for general PvE you can just flow with what you get from drops or crafting or whatever.

Good times tonight in WvW.

I had a question with exotic armor. Is it better to craft all six pieces of exotic armor or use the mystic forge and get the armor box/satchel recipe.

Example: I'm trying to get valkyrie exotic armor which will obviously needs ectos and i think vicious fangs. Obviously the other way is to get the recipe for the box which needs fewer ectos but needs mystic coin and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom