• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hit level 80 last night. Followed the map marker to Fort Trinity and ended up at the Priory Headquarters. Marker pointed at a locked Asura gate... can't open it until I access Fort Trinity. >_<

Guess I'm heading south.

This update is supposed to be larger than the January one too, right? Or was that only when WvW was going to be included? I can't even imagine patch additions larger than Jan that aren't flat out expansions. Felt like Jan added a ton of features/elements to the game.

On another note, I keep finding easier ways to knock out the dailies quickly. Genderran Fields really is a treasure trove for knocking them out. Initially I went there for Healer (which I think I found a better spot at Frostgorge Sound) but there are 4 veteran oakhearts right near each other which make killing veterans go by quickly, ice elementals right where you enter the zone from LA which seem to be perfect for getting the dodge daily (they create an aoe circle that you can just sit in and dodge right as the icicle is going to fall on you), plenty of water to get the underwater kills, enough enemy variety for that daily, just everything. Except crafting, of course. If you're luck enough for someone that doesn't have the heart completed at the little arena (that has the event where you find monsters and then their master) to be there while you are, they can enter a cage and a veteran creature spawns in it repeatedly. I was able to hit it with aoe through the cage bars and get the veteran extremely quickly this way.

Trey

I go to Dredgehaught Cliffs for veteran oakhearts. There's four of them that roam in the southeast part of the map. By the time you kill the fourth one, the first one will have respawned.

I go to Diessa Plateau (the Champion Giant Event) for healer, or do dungeon runs.

I get my variety kills and gatherer in Plains of Ascalon while waiting for a dungeon group.

Arcteryx

How are necros? I'm trying to decide between necro ele or hunter for solo play

I would lean towards Ranger, but I'm a little biased(gave up on my 80 necro: too many bugs, pets are squishier than Ranger pets, bad pet AI, not fun IMO to play solo, etc).

Give them both a shot, try them out in PvP against some target dummies at the very least to see how they perform.

This update is supposed to be larger than the January one too, right? Or was that only when WvW was going to be included? I can't even imagine patch additions larger than Jan that aren't flat out expansions. Felt like Jan added a ton of features/elements to the game.

On another note, I keep finding easier ways to knock out the dailies quickly. Genderran Fields really is a treasure trove for knocking them out. Initially I went there for Healer (which I think I found a better spot at Frostgorge Sound) but there are 4 veteran oakhearts right near each other which make killing veterans go by quickly, ice elementals right where you enter the zone from LA which seem to be perfect for getting the dodge daily (they create an aoe circle that you can just sit in and dodge right as the icicle is going to fall on you), plenty of water to get the underwater kills, enough enemy variety for that daily, just everything. Except crafting, of course. If you're luck enough for someone that doesn't have the heart completed at the little arena (that has the event where you find monsters and then their master) to be there while you are, they can enter a cage and a veteran creature spawns in it repeatedly. I was able to hit it with aoe through the cage bars and get the veteran extremely quickly this way.

Yea the new dailies are INCREDIBLY simple to do. I don't think I've had one take more than 10 minutes or so.

Crafting: cheapest mat refine
Healing: either WvW or go to Frostgorge and revive Kodan(NE waypoint usually has 4-5 Kodan down and by the time they are rez'd they are downed again)
Vets: Frostgorge has a ton, WvW has the scouts/flag guys
Dodge: WvW can easily get this with one dodge in a zerg or go to a low level area and kite something around for 30 secs
Underwater: Frostgorge, shoot salmon, done in 30 secs
Gather: same as before
Kills/Variety: same as before
Events: same as before(WvW/Orr)

I go to Dredgehaught Cliffs for veteran oakhearts. There's four of them that roam in the southeast part of the map. By the time you kill the fourth one, the first one will have respawned.

I go to Diessa Plateau (the Champion Giant Event) for healer, or do dungeon runs.

I get my variety kills and gatherer in Plains of Ascalon while waiting for a dungeon group.

Way too much jumping around, man! That was kinda my point, that Genderaan Fields was a great zone for all dailies (besides crafting).

Trey

I would lean towards Ranger, but I'm a little biased(gave up on my 80 necro: too many bugs, pets are squishier than Ranger pets, bad pet AI, not fun IMO to play solo, etc).

Give them both a shot, try them out in PvP against some target dummies at the very least to see how they perform.

I have to believe they have some impressive condition damage/boon builds. I mean, that's what they do. I was thinking of rolling one when I was in the mood for running support condition builds.

Way too much jumping around, man! That was kinda my point, that Genderaan Fields was a great zone for all dailies (besides crafting).

Gonna check it out tonight.

Arcteryx

I have to believe they have some impressive condition damage/boon builds. I mean, that's what they do. I was thinking of rolling one when I was in the mood for running support condition builds.

Yep, they can be incredibly effective at conditions, but I personally just didn't find that kind of build to be fun when running solo. That said, in dungeons/WvW...holy shit, lots of fun :)

Yea the new dailies are INCREDIBLY simple to do. I don't think I've had one take more than 10 minutes or so.

Crafting: cheapest mat refine
Healing: either WvW or go to Frostgorge and revive Kodan(NE waypoint usually has 4-5 Kodan down and by the time they are rez'd they are downed again)
Vets: Frostgorge has a ton, WvW has the scouts/flag guys
Dodge: WvW can easily get this with one dodge in a zerg or go to a low level area and kite something around for 30 secs
Underwater: Frostgorge, shoot salmon, done in 30 secs
Gather: same as before
Kills/Variety: same as before
Events: same as before(WvW/Orr)
This is exactly what I was referencing when I mentioned Frostgorge, definitely seems like the best place to get healer but since everything else works out well in Genderaan, I'll probably just stick to doing everything there, at least until I tire of the zone. Frostgorge does work well for everything too, but I think a low level zone is just quicker to achieve all this in. Not that it's hard or time consuming in high level, just feel like it's less effort in a low lvl. Maybe it's just me.

Ok, the veteran oakhearts are in the field/forest just NE of the First Haven WP in the SW corner of the map.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I love all the different zones being mentioned as ways to get your dailies done. Really makes me think they're on the right track in terms of funneling people toward the open world going forward.

xeris

Yep, they can be incredibly effective at conditions, but I personally just didn't find that kind of build to be fun when running solo. That said, in dungeons/WvW...holy shit, lots of fun :)

I run a level 80 Tankromancer build. A bit light on dps but was incredibly fun to solo and works well in dungeons, especially with the healing well. I haven't done much with conditions and avoided pets after I ditched the healing one early on.

For anyone that's interested, Coiled Watch southeast of Highpeaks Waypoint has an event chain that satisfies the following:

5 Events
5 Veterans
Plenty of dodging
Lots of Gathering along the way
Plenty of revives
It's fairly easy to complete it solo in a timely manner.

After going through that chain I usually head to the HOTW waypoint if I need underwater kills.

I hate paying for map travel so I take a longer time to do my dailies.

The middle of Sparkfly Fen (the Zintl Holy Grounds) is a decent place for Dailies. Crafting stations right there, lots of water, lots of hylek to rez, frequent events (defend the north, south, and west, plus Ash Horizon at Fort Cadence, Champion Shark,etc.). Lacks veterans though (there's a cave spider at the skill point that respawns fairly often though). And the variety isn't that great.

What I don't like about Gendarran is that sometimes the events are bugged (they may have fixed them now though).

I also found the easiest way to get the dodge: equip a two-handed spear and attack things underwater. The third strike is a dodge. :lol

I hate paying for map travel so I take a longer time to do my dailies.

The middle of Sparkfly Fen (the Zintl Holy Grounds) is a decent place for Dailies. Crafting stations right there, lots of water, lots of hylek to rez, frequent events (defend the north, south, and west, plus Ash Horizon at Fort Cadence, Champion Shark,etc.). Lacks veterans though (there's a cave spider at the skill point that respawns fairly often though). And the variety isn't that great.

What I don't like about Gendarran is that sometimes the events are bugged (they may have fixed them now though).

I also found the easiest way to get the dodge: equip a two-handed spear and attack things underwater. The third strike is a dodge. :lol

Events aren't bugged in Gendarran now, at least the ones I've done and I generally ask people to shout them out in map chat and then bounce around so I've done a fair bit of them, if not all recently. Also nice thing about this zone is if you don't like paying for WP's, you can run into it from LA :)

Proven

The dailies just seem even easier to do in WvW for me. Every settlement has Veteran NPCs. Assaulting or defending anything counts as an event. Every map has 15 enemy types, and you can kill Veterans and players to add up to that. If you go to your home borderland you can find crafting tables. Dodging and reviving players is par for the course of any battle.

The only thing I find time consuming is the 25 underwater kills. Unless you go into the water in a borderland with a few other people, killing krait can take a while. But as soon as you have 3 or more you can go through them like butter and capture those weather nodes.

Even after dozens of AC:Ghost Eater dungeon runs I never noticed the finer details of Detha's shield, the Priory Historical shield:
ITOeNvi.jpg
The embossed-like key is also on the other side of the shield.

Just as cool is with the Engineer shield skills (I'm sure other Profession shield skills do this, too), the transparent stuff disappears.

Found a vantage point in LA I've missed all this time.

It's the little things.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Actually, I haven't seen a bugged event anywhere ingame since Tidal Sword. I'm sure they haven't been eliminated altogether but it's no longer "a thing" from my perspective at least. Need a thread title change up in this piece
Just as cool is with the Engineer shield skill (I'm sure other skills do this, too), the transparent stuff disappears.
That's fucking cool, I'd never have noticed that... great catch

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Damn you Iron Marches!

That is admittedly, unquestionably the zone I have seen the least. I think I have 2 hearts done across 3 characters. Pity, cause it seems rather cool. That JP was awesome.

Arcteryx

There's bugged events all over Iron Marches. At least, there were the last time I was there a couple days ago.

Yea I was wandering around taking screenshots yesterday an ran into a few of them there. Much much better than it was near launch though; Orr was a mess with skillpoints down for weeks at a time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah I remember this Quaggan in some zone down there, maybe Straits or Sparkfly, that used to be "cross your fingers" every time the chain started, and a hilariously weeks-dead Hylek in Caledon...

Trey

Damn you Iron Marches!

That is admittedly, unquestionably the zone I have seen the least. I think I have 2 hearts done across 3 characters. Pity, cause it seems rather cool. That JP was awesome.

It's actually a pretty dope zone. There's no burning need to go there but the Ogre Event Chain is pretty decent, and you see all types of monsters there. It also has probably the only skill point challenge in the entire game that I cannot solo.

It's actually a pretty dope zone. There's no burning need to go there but the Ogre Event Chain is pretty decent, and you see all types of monsters there. It also has probably the only skill point challenge in the entire game that I cannot solo.

Now I'm curious, what was that SP enemy you can't solo?

Some fucking imp with its imp cronies. It two shots me. I've never fought it with full exotics, but still, nothing else in general PvE did that to me.

Is it in a cave? Only can think of a couple Imp battles with cronies. The other being a Veteran with regular cronies in Frostgorge but that's not a SP.

Trey

How can there still be so many bugged events this long after release?

Like everyone else said, outside of IM, I haven't run across any bugged events. I can only guess Anet are crunching these by zone density/importance to the average person's leveling experience. Hawkian said IM is his least visited zone and I believe him - and I also believe that is true for most people.

IM has no dungeon, no easily repeatable and rewarding meta event chain, no unique monsters, further away from a city than any non-orrian zone, doesn't have a mini-hub (like the Ebonhawke). I'm sure the bugged events aren't helping anything, but it's easy to see why it didn't get the attention it needed and probably still needs. No one really cares; the main zones are pretty much flawless.

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
A recent forced upgrade meant I was finally capable of purchasing and playing this, this week.

The devastation I felt after installing from my fresh DVD's to find a 12gb patch cannot be measured. At least I know Arenanet must have been supporting the hell out of this since release for so much content to have been changed and added.

Tarazet

A recent forced upgrade meant I was finally capable of purchasing and playing this, this week.

The devastation I felt after installing from my fresh DVD's to find a 12gb patch cannot be measured. At least I know Arenanet must have been supporting the hell out of this since release for so much content to have been changed and added.

That patch is actually a major content patch. I went through the same thing last weekend and was amazed to find a content patch so soon after release.

Trey

Is it in a cave? Only can think of a couple Imp battles with cronies. The other being a Veteran with regular cronies in Frostgorge but that's not a SP.

The skillpoint in question is on top of a hill just north of the Sleekfur Encampment Waypoint in Iron Marches.

I just solo'd the SP, but I had on exotics and full traits. That imp/ember thing hits like a truck.

j-wood

Can someone explain how I'm doing event chains wrong?

I have a level 60 ele. I'm assuming the event chains are when you go into a zone, and there is a persistent event up top (independent of hearts).

Yet every time I have this, it seems like nothing is going on. "X is regrouping" "It's eerily calm" ect.

Am I just supposed to wait?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

I have a level 60 ele. I'm assuming the event chains are when you go into a zone, and there is a persistent event up top (independent of hearts).

Yet every time I have this, it seems like nothing is going on. "X is regrouping" "It's eerily calm" ect.

Yeah they only happen a few times per hour.

etiolate

Banned
j-wood:

Those vary depending upon the area. Some chains are far more requent than others. A chain tied to a dragon spawn is less frequent than say the chains tied to the Meatoberfest in Diessa Plateau. The areas they cover also vary. The Shatterer chain begins south of the wall ruins and then travels north to the dragon spawn. The meatoberfest chain hovers around the township.

The area summary on your screen is just a sign of where the chain currently rests in its progression. If it sounds like things are at rest then there may be no chains currently. Stuff like "the X is at rest" "the Xis calm" "the X is complete" and so on. If that's what you keep running into then you just have bad luck. =/

Is anyone interested in an sPvP team to play for a few hours each week now that two teams is the dominant format? 6pm PST or so on Thursday night? We can meet up on GAF Guild mumble, jump into a paid tourney and maybe get better as a team? No experience necessary and the like.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That actually sounds really good. I'm very intimidated by sPvP but the few times I have played were fun asskickings, if asskickings nonetheless. Thursdays I should tend to be on mumble anyways. Problem is that most of this month I am locked out of basically any free time more than a few minutes at a time within the confines of my own home.

Really starting to feel it by the way. :p Want my long-as-I-want gaming binges back

In brighter news,
Join your fellow guild members to take on an entirely new category of content! These missions, designed for coordinated group play, include everything from bounties to group puzzles to cross-country challenges. You&#8217;ll need to work together to complete the missions and earn new Guild Merits, which can unlock cool upgrades and rewards. It pays to be in a guild!
Um, fuck yeah? Didn't realize this was going to be a part of the Feb. patch.

Also, selectable achievement dailies is the feature I was thinking of. Can't wait to see what the forum inhabitants come up with to complain about once you can choose which ones you want to do.

A few things:
1) An "event chain" is just any series of dynamic events that flow into one another. There are tons. Sometimes they have branching paths based on succces/failure conditions. Typically, when you do a Dynamic Event, you want to stick around for 30 seconds afterward or so and listen to the NPCs- something might happen.
2) Meta Events are area- or zone-wide event chains that are much larger in scale than the average dynamic event chain, typically involving at least 4 or 5 steps before a large conclusion intended to be completed with a sizable group of players. These are the ones that only pop every so often, and the rest of the time you see the "dormant" messages you're referring to.
3) You're not supposed to wait- I mean, you could if you wanted to, but that sounds boring. You're just supposed to play through the zones, doing events as you see them- you're bound to run into a meta event chain at some point along the way!
4) Meta Events typically reward you with a chest upon completion, unlike typical dynamic events. Not, you know, that chests are all that great, but there you go.
5) Man how can you possibly have made it to level 60 without a single meta event popping for you.

Those persistent event summaries are for meta-events, most zones have only 1-3 of them. You'll still find smaller event chains by just roaming. Rule of thumb that an event chain is "finished" is when one of the NPCs becomes a merchant.

Ferny

Is anyone interested in an sPvP team to play for a few hours each week now that two teams is the dominant format? 6pm PST or so on Thursday night? We can meet up on GAF Guild mumble, jump into a paid tourney and maybe get better as a team? No experience necessary and the like.

That would be awesome. I would be down for that.

Lunar15

To whoever was in my team tonight (I'm Ursa Karhu): You were all badasses. Best group I've ever been in. CoF1, AC1+2 in less than an hour. Amazing.

Trey

To whoever was in my team tonight (I'm Ursa Karhu): You were all badasses. Best group I've ever been in. CoF1, AC1+2 in less than an hour. Amazing.

Yep. AC runs with people that know what they're doing are great. We made good time even though we spent a few minutes fighting trash outside the Hall of Champions.

That was my first time running CoF, by the way. That's why I was standing outside of the flame thinger like an idiot. Apologies for that.

Lunar15

Yep. AC runs with people that know what they're doing are great. We made good time even though we spent a few minutes fighting trash outside the Hall of Champions.

That was my first time running CoF, by the way. That's why I was standing outside of the flame thinger like an idiot. Apologies for that.

Nah it's cool. We barely lost any time from it.

Lulubop

The Guild events sounds cool, I guess I'll play more then. Unless someone is interested in running frac 24.... any time is fine.

jersoc

so bummed that wvw changes won't be coming. but i guess i'd rather they refine shit than half ass it. at least i hope that's what they're doing.

the guild events could be neat. i hope the rewards are cosmetic stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom