• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deitus

Well, I just hit 80. Now what?

Kidding. I haven't even seen half of the content in this game. Not even close really.

Sarcasm

Go here, and never look back.

My 360 controller broke (fixable) during a dungeon tonight and I couldn't believe how unnatural it felt playing with a mouse after a month of using this.

I done something wrong......the controller can move character and camera but I can't attack..it just brings up panes. Wait it works kinda - I don't think I can get use to this lol..I read the bindings but I don't remember jack.

Ashodin

Support I guess.

TA explorable is the worst dungeon I have ever played.

I haven't done it yet, but I'm sure my crack team of players can, well, crack it.

Are you looking to provide buffs, or throw out heals here and there between damage?

Ken

I haven't done it yet, but I'm sure my crack team of players can, well, crack it.

Are you looking to provide buffs, or throw out heals here and there between damage?

I'm currently running a shout build so buffs. TA explorable wasn't exactly the best way to judge a new build's effectiveness.

I'm asking because I have yet to enjoy any Guardian support builds; I honestly only enjoyed Greatsword Guardian while leveing but I don't want to bring that into dungeons. Basically, I enjoyed the road to 80 but I'm not enjoying what the Guardian ultimately should be at the end of the road.

Ashodin

I'm currently running a shout build so buffs. TA explorable wasn't exactly the best way to judge a new build's effectiveness.

I'm asking because I have yet to enjoy any Guardian support builds; I honestly only enjoyed Greatsword Guardian while leveing but I don't want to bring that into dungeons. Basically, I enjoyed the road to 80 but I'm not enjoying what the Guardian ultimately should be at the end of the road.

I'll work on one and get back to you. For now though, courage.

I'm leveling a greatsword Guardian, why wouldn't you bring it into dungeons? I'm curious, I'm only 11 now and it's really the only playstyle I'm really liking.

Plus, are dungeons like the end-all be-all of PVE? If I want, can I skip them altogether or are the coolest armor and weapons requiring things from there?

I'm a little irritated (read: a lot) at the WvW ques. I've que'd the past couple days and after about an hour it will pop up and it's usually right before I need to do something around the house or some shit. I really hope they fix this shit, I was hoping for something I could log on and do like other MP games instead of waiting in line. It's not bugging me that much right now but if it is a taste of things to come once I get 30+ and such I'll be pretty sad at the state of the WvW game.

so servers were down this morning right? I couldn't log in this morning, home for an hour or so before work.

played borderlands 2 instead

Ken

I'm leveling a greatsword Guardian, why wouldn't you bring it into dungeons? I'm curious, I'm only 11 now and it's really the only playstyle I'm really liking.

I'm really weird and have a strange idea in my head that if I'm leveling a Guardian for DPS purposes, I may as well roll a Warrior who can do it better. Of course, I'm working under the assumption that GS Guardians are focused on DPSing which is probably not always true. Greatsword Guardian for me is "jump in, pull everyone in, spin-to-win and everything dies."

Plus, are dungeons like the end-all be-all of PVE? If I want, can I skip them altogether or are the coolest armor and weapons requiring things from there?

I like doing dungeons because I'm working with a small group and they tend to be less chaotic and mindless than a zerg. Don't really know what else is considered end-game PvE in this game. My Guardian is in full exotics already so I'm just running dungeons for the experience of working with 4 other people and seeing if we can succeed.

I'm really weird and have a strange idea in my head that if I'm leveling a Guardian for DPS purposes, I may as well roll a Warrior who can do it better. Of course, I'm working under the assumption that GS Guardians are focused on DPSing which is probably not always true. Greatsword Guardian for me is "jump in, pull everyone in, spin-to-win and everything dies."

I like doing dungeons because I'm working with a small group and they tend to be less chaotic and mindless than a zerg. Don't really know what else is considered end-game PvE in this game. My Guardian is in full exotics already so I'm just running dungeons for the experience of working with 4 other people and seeing if we can succeed.

Cool, thanks for the info. I've actually been trying to play my GS Guard as more of a support role (although Teleport is fun!) with buffs and such always trying to be up for the group.

What weapon combo do you think is the best for a PVE-Group based Guard, I might want to try to see what the builds are all about and such.

As for PVE-Single, what build do you currently use? I've been all over the place with what line to go down and being only 11 I haven't had to worry about it too much yet, but it's getting close to pay the piper as I plan to level a lot this week (back from vacation, family has left town, some ME time!)

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Support I guess.

TA explorable is the worst dungeon I have ever played.

I don't have the exact build on me atm but I basically run an AOE heal support build on my Guardian. You get the trait that gives everyone around you Virtue of Resolve and then the trait that improves it. Couple that with the regeneration shout and Mace/Shield for super tankiness and you're basically an unkillable AOE healing machine.

Ashodin

http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#MzcmMV9MoLvwooLvxmG9MGxoaMkcoV

Check this build out for you. It's kind of a mix between heals and support, really. (only because heals become attached to a lot of the stuff you do).

Main weapons are Scepter/Shield, offweapon is Staff.

Use scepter to long-range behind your allies, always position the majority of them ahead of you while you tag the enemies. Stand in the back as close as possible to them. Use Scepter 3 to lock down enemies to a spot to make this easier. Scepter 2 and Scepter 1 should be used to deal damage to enemies while you're running around - they both have a great combo and Smite has the low CD. Shield 4 whenever it's up to put up Protection on allies - Use Shield 5 in the middle of your friends (double tap it - don't just use it to block projectiles, get the heal out of it) for a quick burst of heal and damage absorption.

Staff is the best alternate for AOE damage and the Might stack/Heal on Staff 4. Staff 3 is for getting people to move around faster - drop it either as damage or to get melee to move around and position themselves easier. Staff 2 is for a quick heal (move forward, double tap it so it detonates right on the targeted mob), And Staff 5 is to keep enemies from reaching you in the back. Remember that Scepter 1 is a projectile - meaning that Staff 5 will combo with it and cure conditions as it travels. Swap back to Scepter when Staff 5 is used.

Healing Breeze is the better heal here - since you're behind your allies most of the time, you will be healing them in front of you (or you should be running up to them breathing on them like Torch 5).

Utilities are Purging Flames (targetable with trait now), which cures conditions, so you can use it offensively or defensively, depending on the situation. Hold the Line, for Protection and Regeneration; And the Bow of Truth, which cures conditions while it's up, or you can hit the button again for a "healing rain" if need be. It does it at the position it's at, so move into your allies and pop it. Best part, is that it doesn't kill the weapon, meaning it will go back to curing conditions after its animation.

Elite can be either Renewed Focus or Tome of Courage, it's up to you which one you'd like better. I'd personally use Renewed Focus so I can pop Courage again and get double the Protection duration. The key is to stack Protection hard on everyone all the time, making everything do less damage overall. Heals will flow based on your playstyle, so everyone should have a much easier time with you. Never stick in Staff for too long unless you're AOEing. Scepter/Shield should be up all the time, and you won't have to worry about cooldowns since Scepter 1 and 2 are fast and active.

The traits speak for themselves - they allow you to keep the shouts/consecrate/spirit weapons up for longer, better, and more use. I took them instead of other traits because even if you use just one, it makes it amazing instead of using all shouts, all consecrates, etc. Utility is the name of the game.

Damn, this build is so good, I might even try it out haha. It is the most "stand back and protect" build I've ever made.

Sarcasm

I really don't understand this skill system..I just unlocked the 7 slot and can buy something but I see nothing really worth getting. Guardian btw.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I really don't understand this skill system..I just unlocked the 7 slot and can buy something but I see nothing really worth getting. Guardian btw.

Guardian Elite skills suck big time, yeah. Pick up Tome of Wrath, I guess.

What are the guild armorsmith and guild weaponsmith vendors in WvW for? The item descriptions don't really clarify what they sell and google search hasn't come up with anything useful.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Guardian Elite skills suck big time, yeah. Pick up Tome of Wrath, I guess.

Tome of Wrath is nice for WvW when you want to launch AoE damage into a zerg.

For PvE, it is worthless because you can't use your other skills which bring down your survivability a ton. At least Tomb of Courage is a nice reset button thanks to full-heal.

I would go with the skill 90-second skill that grants 3-second invulnerability and recharges your virtues. Use it as a "uh oh" button - activate all your virtues, use it, then use your virtues again. At the least, you give you and your team some health, two blocks via Aegis and lets you take a beating for 3-seconds if well timed.

LkPr

What are the guild armorsmith and guild weaponsmith vendors in WvW for? The item descriptions don't really clarify what they sell and google search hasn't come up with anything useful.

Pretty sure they sell the 'Guild Branded' weapons if your Guild has spent Influence on upgrading to get those

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Don't see it with what I can buy in that screen. Signet of Wrath yea mean? Cures condition does damage extra damage if a condition is removed?
He's asking about Tier 1 utilities.

Building your skillset in the early (pre-30) days is unusual because you don't have access to full skill synergy yet. Focus on learning to use the skills you do have more effectively for the time being. These are the options he has:
Uzc2q.png

Off the top of my head, having only played guardian to about 15; the weapon summons, for solo play, and Retreat are probably good options. Remember you can switch these at any time per the situation, out of combat.

Forkball

So what ultimate gift do you get for 100% map completion? I've only 100%'d Queensdale and Divinity's Reach. Tried to do Lion's Arch, but some vista was frustrating me. I might try for WvW 100% just because.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Don't see it with what I can buy in that screen. Signet of Wrath yea mean? Cures condition does damage extra damage if a condition is removed?

Hammer or Sword summons are a good first utility. They provide extra damage early on, and work pretty well on their own, before you have all your utility slots unlocked.

Que? Yes you have. We did TA Exp last week. Don't tell me you forget her majesty the Countess of Spiders already.

I run a support guardian for dungeons. For TA the scepter is a must, especially for those stupid blooms, and of course, for the broken final boss on the most commonly run route. Unfortunately for some reason I get a lot of "obstructed" problems using the scepter on blooms, but it's the best option while running back.

I like the shield with the bonuses that the Honorable Shield trait provides. This plus the Protective Reviver trait has kept me alive multiple times while rezzing. The shield is always on for me on TA explorable.

And just to reiterate what IPoopStandingUp posted, I have newfound appreciation for the renewed focus elite skill. I think most people poo-pooed this one early on, but 3 sec invulnerability while recharging means you can give everyone an early Aegis and some healing. I have Altruistic Healing trait also set up so I get additional health for myself. The 90 sec cooldown is definitely better for the TA wyrm fight than the 4 min you have to wait for the dogs of doom. That 3 sec invulnerability has also saved my butt during the dodge-a-thon boss fight in CoE when I've run out of endurance.

I get a kick out of timing my Aegis boons just right so that my glass cannon warrior party member can continue wailing away at the boss without interruption. Courage Virtue, Retreat shout, Mace 3, blocking goodness.

Edit: The healing breeze support is not efficient for me. Everyone is running around too much (and with good reason) for this to be effective.

Edit2: Wall of Reflection is so easy to abuse against the AI. On AC exp runs I just throw these up right against archers and focus my attention elsewhere. I return 11 sec later and that archer's health is half gone. The AI isn't smart enough to walk around it.

Ketch

Anyone know a good sword and board warrior build for beginning dungeons? Right now I'm running sword&board/Longbow, mending, shout of vulnerability, shout of might, dolyack signet, and battle standard.

nataku

When you guys hit 80, did you go straight for Lv80 exotics? Or did you buy something else while you saved up for those?

I just hit 80 on my Mesmer and have no idea what gear to go after. I only have 6g 85s, and the exotics on the TP costs a couple gold a piece at least. Should I just go with rares for now, while saving up? All my gear is extremely behind, so I need to replace everything. :(

arimanius

When you guys hit 80, did you go straight for Lv80 exotics? Or did you buy something else while you saved up for those?

I just hit 80 on my Mesmer and have no idea what gear to go after. I only have 6g 85s, and the exotics on the TP costs a couple gold a piece at least. Should I just go with rares for now, while saving up? All my gear is extremely behind, so I need to replace everything. :(

How is the Mesmer at 80? Mine is 38 and is my highest character but I'm still having an altitis issue and no class has just clicked yet.

pyrandes

How is the Mesmer at 80? Mine is 38 and is my highest character but I'm still having an altitis issue and no class has just clicked yet.

Mesmer at 80 is pretty fun and effective. I generally feel like Im pulling my weight, despite my constant switching of trait builds to find some effective combinations.

I still need to get some exotics going, but thatll get there once I start dungeon running more regularly.

inky

I had some good luck with rares/exotics from 100%ing areas. Either getting them or selling them and buying stuff to replace them. At first I went for level 80 rares (super cheap, like 15-20s a piece) and 76-78 exotics (placing orders for these shouldn't be more than 45-50s a piece) at first, then I crafted my own and got some karma exotic gear, and threw the old stuff in the MF.

Rarutos

Question! Is the only way to get Globs of Ectoplasm (outside of the Trading Post) salvaging level 68+ Rare/Exotic Armor right now? I'm having terrible luck and out of salvaging like 5 or so with a Master's Salvage Kit, I've only gotten 2. :(

Dash27

Level 78 Exotics are about 5% less effective than level 80's but a fraction of the price, so take a look at those. Rares are another option yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom