• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
Ash has a tendency to link the same exotic in chat a couple times or more, lol.

Four or more gaffers got named exotics today, theres plenty to go around.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ash has a rare bug that siphons all the magic find from nearby allies onto him. And makes it apply to chests.

Speaking offffffff....

ibmyMuGTIx7hIJ.jpg

Loved listening to this on my way to work, a bit late but still good. All your predictions for feb 26th came true. Almost like you have insider info!

Cool hearing Ferny, I don't think I've ever seen him on mumble.

Was hoping for shout out by Retro for dredge fractal and CoE speed run, but alas it did not come.

It was fun listening to you guys eventhough I had talked to you guys about all that stuff on mumble.

Keep it up. Look forward to next one which I guess might be before Match 26th update.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Saturday night I found out, at the end of the night, that I had my Mumble output settings wrong. For the last two months I thought you guys were going on Mumble and just not talking. Turns out I just couldn't hear you!

Saturday night I found out, at the end of the night, that I had my Mumble output settings wrong. For the last two months I thought you guys were going on Mumble and just not talking. Turns out I just couldn't hear you!
That's happened to me before, especially if I disconnect headset and reconnect it sometimes it tries to output to some random internal speaker.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Last night my Mumble just stopped picking me up on my Mic! I kept trying to talk and nobody could hear me. I need to work that out when I get home. It was like that one scene in the Matrix.

Definitely looking forward to participating in the next podcast!

Vossler

Hoping to have some time tonight to hop around with you guys and do Meta-events. Have to go yell at the USPS about my second 670 gtx not being shipped to me correctly.

Edit: Top of page tip: Master Maintenance Oils are you friend when you are outfitted in low hp/higher-ish dps armor as a Guardian.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Edit: Top of page tip: Master Maintenance Oils are you friend when you are outfitted in low hp/higher-ish dps armor as a Guardian.

Miss the days of maintenance oil + food with heal on crit where Greatsword 2 would heal for over 1k. :( (i.e. last week pre-patch)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hoping to have some time tonight to hop around with you guys and do Meta-events. Have to go yell at the USPS about my second 670 gtx not being shipped to me correctly.
Hope you can as well! It's great seeing the swarms of gold names... especially at Grenth last night, it felt (placebo or not) like you could really see the impact GAF was having compared to the rest of the crowd. Great stuff :D

Although I have to admit, I've come to realize I've fallen into a real "first world problem" in-game these days... almost zero downtime. Not something I have really ever experienced in an MMO before. I really want to work with my gems, break all my rares and exo drops, craft exotic jewelry to get the monthly, sell them and promote and sell all my mats in storage for massive profit, and work on some build theory for my Mesmer damage spec. But I just haven't had time. The percentage of a play session when there's not something to head off to is tiny, and even if it's something you've done before... I have a second 80 and a third alt well on his way! Plus there's the potential for "oh ALSO" moments like when we went to Rotbeard last night and then the map randoms were organizing for Grenth. And you know we had to beat him after the first failure. Then I took a small break, then I wanted to give Forsaken Halls a shot. Then we tried Vexa's Lab. Then we started exploring the Zho'Qafa chain, which is confirmed to have the new rewards but quite complex and we haven't done it yet. Got our asses kicked by a Champion Abom with our little scouting group and OH HI IT'S 1:45AM.

One of ArenaNet's long-term goals is to establish the feeling that there's always something active (non-static content, unlike say dungeons, sPvP or Personal Story) going on somewhere in the world that is worthwhile to do. Living Story, the more obscure dailies and even Guild Missions are foundational aspects of this goal, but it honestly feels like they're almost there already, just with this one change. Even if none of the timed/scheduled events are up at any given moment, chances are you can head off to at least one of the triggered/"found" chests. And you can do those with alts too. And I guarantee you we haven't found every single one just yet, and that some more existing chains (especially the obscure ones that take lots of coordination) will be updated too.

I'm gonna have to start setting an alarm for 4:00AM so I can log in when nothing's going on. :p

edit: Speaking of stuff to try... re: Taidha Covington
We did it yesterday. We had to repeat Protect Bill and Hekja as they clear Risen from the area three times before they left the island, at which point Lionscout Jenny was lying dead somewhere and had to be ressed before she would leave too. Then after about 15-20 minutes, the pre-events for Taidha finally started.
I gotta do it, just out of curiosity.

Fun Stuff

I want to here whatever you come up with for Mesmer build theory, well into working on that myself and always enjoy seeing what others do and if there's anything I can take from it for my own.

So this might be old news but it was new to me, a new world boss (is that the right term for the super massive sized bosses ie shadow behemoth and dragons?)was added to Caledon Forest, the Giant Maguuma Wurm. A lot of people were mentioning it in Caldedon and asking for the time since the timer is still off. I arrived just in time to see it but alas, they killed it so quickly that I couldn't participate and get the chest. I hadn't uncovered the zone yet with my Mes and had to run all the way from the Grove to the northern swamp where it spawns. Next time Wurm, next time! Maybe if I'm lucky it will spawn while I finish clearing the zone next time I get on.

edit: Is Taidha Covington new? I just did that event Sunday while clearing Bloodtide. I could have sworn that already existed, I remember fighting 'some' pirate on their ship in Blood tide haha

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The Great Jungle Wurm's been there since launch :) He's on my checklist, and his unique weapon drops are a shield called Wall of Thorns and a focus called Wisteria. They look like branches.

Taidha's not new at all, it's one of the two Meta Events in Bloodtide... it's just one of the more difficult chains to trigger in the game.

Levyne

Banned
I think the pirate chain, as well as behemoth, used to be bug-blocked for the longest time. Most everyone knew about the behemoth since it was a starting zone boss but Queen T was kinda lost in the shuffle and blocked so it kinda went unnoticed.

I thought it sounded familiar but someone in Map Chat said it was just added in the recent patch and I bought it lol

Yeah, I was positive I fought her back when my Ele was in the zone but she came up constantly so didn't think it was hard to trigger. Honestly, I don't know how you trigger any of the metas in the game. I just know if you're in the area of a big boss at the right time, it will open up a pre-event you can do to get them to come out like the portals for shadow behemoth. I don't think there's anything you can do to get the portals to come out though, right? It's just time based and triggers when the window opens?

Levyne

Banned
I thought it sounded familiar but someone in Map Chat said it was just added in the recent patch and I bought it lol

Yeah, I was positive I fought her back when my Ele was in the zone but she came up constantly so didn't think it was hard to trigger. Honestly, I don't know how you trigger any of the metas in the game. I just know if you're in the area of a big boss at the right time, it will open up a pre-event you can do to get them to come out like the portals for shadow behemoth. I don't think there's anything you can do to get the portals to come out though, right? It's just time based and triggers when the window opens?

Usually certain other (unrelated or not-really-related) events can't be up at the same time.

Like for the Behemoth, the champ oakheart has to die since some of the pre-event portals spawn in the same place. For the pirate one, there's an event with helping 2 npcs on the island that can't be up for the meta chain to start. But yeah, other than that it's an element of time..

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well, a party of five (which you need for the dungeon) can push the risen there back pretty quickly and easily. I've done it with fewer.

Oh yeah, forgot to share my sentiments on seeing this for the first time last night...
"Right..."

Katoki

Usually certain other (unrelated or not-really-related) events can't be up at the same time.

Like for the Behemoth, the champ oakheart has to die since some of the pre-event portals spawn in the same place. For the pirate one, there's an event with helping 2 npcs on the island that can't be up for the meta chain to start. But yeah, other than that it's an element of time..

I remember running into a group working on the Champion Oakheart after I left the SB event since it was finished.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Xevren

I know going into wvwvw upscales, but will I even be able to contribute? I wanted to try it, didn't know if equipment/stats would just make it to where I would just be useless. I just broke into my 30's and was thinking of going into it maybe tonight.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
But still, absolutely not useless. 10 supply can make the difference between a keep siege being successful and being abandoned, and you can contribute supply at level 1.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Speaking of WvW:
Dev said:
WvW ranks & abilities are character based. The best way to think of this system is as alternative/extended character progression.
I like it. Decide what you want your character to be- your Thief can be the perfect Havoc squad leader, your Engi the guy you call for anti-siege demolition. I wonder how deep the specialization goes.

etiolate

Banned
Speaking of WvW:

I like it. Decide what you want your character to be- your Thief can be the perfect Havoc squad leader, your Engi the guy you call for anti-siege demolition. I wonder how deep the specialization goes.

I think it will be very basic for at least the first 3-4 months. They can make it deeper with time, but early on it will be a boost to supply carry, siege damage and the like. One thing that I think would be useful is added armor to your siege weapon if you're the one using it. I could also see movement speed increases be a perk of the system.

Vossler

So now that I've gotten Foefire's Essence, I think I am going to go full bore into world exploration and WvWvW. Will be doing so as a Guardian, as I have basically given up on my first ranger main, only running him when necessary.

I know going into wvwvw upscales, but will I even be able to contribute? I wanted to try it, didn't know if equipment/stats would just make it to where I would just be useless. I just broke into my 30's and was thinking of going into it maybe tonight.

I've run with my low level alts in wvw a lot. The leveling is a bit slower, and it will be right now since we are dominating. As a lower level it's best to stay with the zerg since a good chunk of xp comes from running around and capping towers,keeps,sm,etc. Also iirc gear scales as well, so if you're in green's you'll do fine. Just make sure you have a swiftness/speed buff since it takes a while to get anywhere haha. Overall you should be fine in wvw. Just don't try taking camps by yourself, sentries you should be able to.

LkPr

So am I the only one in the Guild that runs primarily ranger? :(

I still run my ranger as my main :) however I have switched over to a BM build and I use GS a lot...

Currently working on a Guardian but I don't think i'll ever stop playing my Ranger, has been there since day 1

Anno

Teaser for the March Flame & Frost chapter:

In Flame and Frost: The Razing you’ll meet the norn Braham and Rox the charr, two Tyrians who fervently believe in doing what’s right, no matter the risk. Join Braham and Rox in a desperate battle to defend their homelands from annihilation in the third installment in this four-part series!

Lunar15

Look, I've been enjoying each update, but honestly, I have to agree with the people that don't see much potential in the Flame and Frost arc. They said the first part was just a "prelude", but I feel like the "second act" had even less content than the first. I really didn't pay it much attention. But I kept reading what Anet was saying in that it's going to improve and build up, so I was like "whatever".

But now that I'm realizing that we're already approaching act three of four, I'm wondering how this is going to build into anything actually interesting. They keep saying that there's all this desolation in the north, but no one really sees it. All we really saw was some portals with charr and dredge and that was about it. In my opinion, the living story has been the least interesting part of both updates so far. It's by no means a game killer, and there's always a chance they could really blow out some amazing content in the next update, but for now it just seems like a lot of hooplah over nothing.

Anno

Sure, so far it's nothing really too exciting. My guess is they're sorting out the tech before ratcheting it up. I'm hopeful that they can create some interesting characters and/or just some cool short stories in the next two months, though. It struck me last night that when I'm looking at my achievement tabs in 2 or 3 years I want Living Story to be the category from which I have the most points. Something I can kind of just scroll back through and think of the (hopefully) interesting things I've done over the years that help flesh out the world.

Giard

Look, I've been enjoying each update, but honestly, I have to agree with the people that don't see much potential in the Flame and Frost arc. They said the first part was just a "prelude", but I feel like the "second act" had even less content than the first. I really didn't pay it much attention. But I kept reading what Anet was saying in that it's going to improve and build up, so I was like "whatever".

But now that I'm realizing that we're already approaching act three of four, I'm wondering how this is going to build into anything actually interesting. They keep saying that there's all this desolation in the north, but no one really sees it. All we really saw was some portals with charr and dredge and that was about it. In my opinion, the living story has been the least interesting part of both updates so far. It's by no means a game killer, and there's always a chance they could really blow out some amazing content in the next update, but for now it just seems like a lot of hooplah over nothing.

I agree. Hope it'll get interesting soon.

Man, every time I try to go do a meta event, I'm always in overflow... it didn't do that yesterday or the day before.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Has there been that much hooplah? "Prelude" and "Gathering Storm" seem pretty clearly preliminary in nature... "The Razing" strikes me as rather more intense in scope, but who knows? We shall see what happens ;)

Also a psa about world completion. We are dominating t5 right now so it is a good time to get all those vistas/poi/skill challenges before the reset on friday. Finished both DR and EB tonight so I would definitely not pass up this chance for that map completion

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Also a psa about world completion. We are dominating t5 right now so it is a good time to get all those vistas/poi/skill challenges before the reset on friday. Finished both DR and EB tonight so I would definitely not pass up this chance for that map completion
Thanks for the idea, can't believe how easy it is to grab stuff unperturbed right now :O

Agree, I was really excited for the Living Quest but it's turned out to be the most boring thing in the entire game. I dealt with it because I know they are trying to create a full story arc which has to have slow beginnings and a build up, but it doesn't work well because there's an entire month in between each installment. TV shows and even manga chapters do the same thing where you have a boring chapter/episode but it's ultimately a setup chapter which has you excited for next week. For the Living Quest, the next installment is so far off and there aren't any details that occurred in the story to make you particularly excited for it so it just doesn't work.

IMO they need to do one of two things the next time around: 1. Take their time creating the content, creating it all at once and releasing an installment each week or 2. Create a story that throws you right into the action at the first chapter and have the story escalate things even further even if it's just something like a powerful boss that requires a large group or a quantity of enemies that require a large group, simulating a large battle. As is, I just couldn't care less about the current story and will ultimately force myself to play it just because it's new PVE content, but I've chosen clearing zones with an alt over doing the second phase for crying out loud. I have no doubts that the third and fourth chapter will scale up and be far more interesting, but it's too little too late for a standard practice. Really think they need to use one of the two aforementioned approaches for future living quests.

Thoughts on employing either of those methods? I know a few will defend them saying they are supposed to be a slow burn, etc. I hope I conveyed I understand that but why I still take issue with how it was deployed.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I forgave the boringness in January since it was a prelude, but the february update is just like, why? What's the point of these repetitive crappy events? I was expecting at least one fifteen minute event chain, but no, boring defend quest and tedious fetch quests!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thoughts on employing either of those methods? I know a few will defend them saying they are supposed to be a slow burn, etc. I hope I conveyed I understand that but why I still take issue with how it was deployed.
Both sound great! I'd actually expect both to occur, to tell different stories, in future Living Story arcs.

Just to be clear, of course I'd have preferred more content that was more exciting more quickly. But there are a couple things to keep in mind, beyond justifying it as a slow burn in terms of the story itself:

1) As an ongoing content release not tied to any particular holiday or one-time even, an extended length and slow ramp-up benefits people who don't play every day like, you know, us. It makes it easier to get up to speed. Compromising between this benefit and feedback telling them that the rollout has been too slow to hold players' attention will be ArenaNet's main task for the next Living Story release.
2) Beyond being the first story they're telling in this manner, Flame & Frost is a test case for the Living Story technology itself. I'm sure it all looks simplistic from the perspective of an individual player but I can state with some certainty that they're trying out some very versatile tech to extend the capabilities of the game with this content, and they're doing it very gradually on purpose. That sucks for us, to be sure, but from their perspective I have no doubt it's a necessarily evil.

I don't know what's coming, but I do bet even the most ardently disappointed among you will still want to check out The Razing. At the very least it'll be fascinating to see how people look back on Flame & Frost in total when it's done with.

It's a very difficult goal they've started on the path toward- creating a world that actually changes over time instead of just purporting to. Just to use a quote from my big post on the Jan patch:
Flame & Frost is, in my eyes, a prototype of Living Story content to come. It will start out being very small in scale, gradually ramp up for some time, expand in scope and progress in storyline, and eventually change the world in a permanent way. As live content, it's the antithesis of a one-time event like the Lost Shores invasion. I would go as far as to say it shouldn't even be considered limited-time in the sense of Holiday events- which is why they haven't named a "cutoff date" of any sort yet.

Living Story events are the answer to "what's going on at the moment?" when you log in. They're meant to be things you stumble onto, or get pointed toward by a herald, or overhear being discussed in guild chat. ArenaNet's approach and desire is that, eventually, when the execution is refined enough, there should always be something new, something you haven't seen yet, going on somewhere in the world. If they can pull this off, it will be unprecedented in the MMO space, and ultimately force other games to adopt more "living, breathing worlds" themselves. As unimpressive as the simple refugee trail in wayfarer might seem right now, that which it represents will be an overwhelmingly positive step forward for online gaming if it succeeds.

Shambles

I like the slow burn. I don't get to play nearly as much as I'd like and I can go several days at a time when I can't even log in. I only have the current living story about half done, my wife is in the same situation. I can understand those who play daily wanting it to come faster but you're still able to play in the same manner as before this patch went in at all. Don't be in such a rush to eat through content as quickly as possible. Once the full event hits you'll be sitting here waiting around for new stuff to hit again.

I like the slow burn. I don't get to play nearly as much as I'd like and I can go several days at a time when I can't even log in. I only have the current living story about half done, my wife is in the same situation. I can understand those who play daily wanting it to come faster but you're still able to play in the same manner as before this patch went in at all. Don't be in such a rush to eat through content as quickly as possible. Once the full event hits you'll be sitting here waiting around for new stuff to hit again.

There really isn't a way to know how much you have done in the living story, unless you are just going by how many of the living story achievements you have completed.

I guess ANET keeps popping those invader events to just show how relentless they are, but the story seems to show that they are winning so far but every time the show up the players destroy them really quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom