• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proven

There really isn't a way to know how much you have done in the living story, unless you are just going by how many of the living story achievements you have completed.

I guess ANET keeps popping those invader events to just show how relentless they are, but the story seems to show that they are winning so far but every time the show up the players destroy them really quick.

My problem is related to this. The Living Story doesn't have much of a basis in reality for players. A lot of bloggers have chimed on this better, but basically we only get a line of dialogue a week. They say stuff is going on, we're building homes for these people, etc. We don't see any of that. We just go out into the world and see a trail of refugees coming in from... nowhere, almost.

If would be great if each week there was a new chapter, and chapter there were was a simple quest added and substantial dialogue.

And what about the sidequests and subplots they wanted to work towards? Those are pretty much abandoned with only two months left if they keep to this pace.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Totally on the money there- some structured quests like the Halloween ones would work better than the achievments to immerse you, like something in your mail after you talk to the little refugee charr missing the soldier. Using achievements for that aspect of it seems superfluous. Achievements should be superfluous, like "kill [x] invaders," not part of the atmosphere-building.

I will mention- keeping to this pace is the part I would say you shouldn't worry about. I fully expect it to accelerate quite a bit. I.e.: we're 50% through the real Earth time Flame & Frost is spanning, but not 50% through the content or story.

Both sound great! I'd actually expect both to occur, to tell different stories, in future Living Story arcs.

Just to be clear, of course I'd have preferred more content that was more exciting more quickly. But there are a couple things to keep in mind, beyond justifying it as a slow burn in terms of the story itself:

1) As an ongoing content release not tied to any particular holiday or one-time even, an extended length and slow ramp-up benefits people who don't play every day like, you know, us. It makes it easier to get up to speed. Compromising between this benefit and feedback telling them that the rollout has been too slow to hold players' attention will be ArenaNet's main task for the next Living Story release.
2) Beyond being the first story they're telling in this manner, Flame & Frost is a test case for the Living Story technology itself. I'm sure it all looks simplistic from the perspective of an individual player but I can state with some certainty that they're trying out some very versatile tech to extend the capabilities of the game with this content, and they're doing it very gradually on purpose. That sucks for us, to be sure, but from their perspective I have no doubt it's a necessarily evil.

I don't know what's coming, but I do bet even the most ardently disappointed among you will still want to check out The Razing. At the very least it'll be fascinating to see how people look back on Flame & Frost in total when it's done with.

It's a very difficult goal they've started on the path toward- creating a world that actually changes over time instead of just purporting to. Just to use a quote from my big post on the Jan patch:

I like the slow burn. I don't get to play nearly as much as I'd like and I can go several days at a time when I can't even log in. I only have the current living story about half done, my wife is in the same situation. I can understand those who play daily wanting it to come faster but you're still able to play in the same manner as before this patch went in at all. Don't be in such a rush to eat through content as quickly as possible. Once the full event hits you'll be sitting here waiting around for new stuff to hit again.

Is it really going to create a big change in the world, permanently? If so, I forgot about that. I'm not criticizing it as a whole anyway and have always anticipated the third and fourth portions, assuming they will be entertaining. I'm only commenting on the first two portions, the portions we have access to. I won't be redundant with this post but yeah, I hope the implement one of those options going forth. I was going to say they could simply have later portions take place in a different location on the map so people that didn't get around to it yet could still do the whole thing but if things are permanently changed after the final installment, I guess that won't be possible after that point. Then again, maybe that's the point. These are LIVING quests, shouldn't they be organic, constantly updating quests? People shouldn't be able to do the first portion a month later, it defeats the point of it being a living quest. It's a bummer if you miss content, but if the idea it to constantly churn out these organic quests, if you want the world to feel alive, then that's the price. You can't necessarily repeat everything you do today, tomorrow in real life, things are always changing. If you have the past stages all running at the same time, that doesn't feel living to me at all!

Also, it's not about knocking the content out quickly and waiting, it's about the content being entertaining. You can't provide one little piece of story and then wait a month to continue it, especially without gamers having an idea of where the story is going and thus anticipating what's to come, and expect people to stay interested. Coming out with an installment each week is consistent enough to keep people interested while still providing enough time for most people to play each portion. Updating it by the week makes it feel like it's breathing and there is constant change. I'm under the impression that's what they are going for, no?

We can already see permanent changes in the landscape.
The new building at the north east corner of Wayfarer Foothills. I think we will probably get a chance to go in it. (hope it will lead to a dungeon)
Southsun Cove will probably change because that is where the refugees will be taken by the Consortium.

Rasing sounds like things are going to explode/come out of the ground, so I guess we will see even more changes in the landscape.

They have said that all these changes will stay in the world.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Is it really going to create a big change in the world, permanently?
Well, we know at least that the Consortium is planning to construct a refuge in Southsun Cove for the fleeing residents of the Shiverpeaks. In terms of game content I imagine this is a clever excuse to permanently fill up a largely empty expanse of the gameworld with new events and things to do.
You can't necessarily repeat everything you do today, tomorrow in real life, things are always changing. If you have the past stages all running at the same time, that doesn't feel living to me at all!
What's funny about this complaint is that actual refugee situations in real life really can take months, with more camps slowly being established to hold growing numbers before they find a permanent home. I mean, really, it's not that the scenario unfolding in-game isn't realistic, it's that it's too realistic! :p They're not going to be there forever. Someone who starts playing the game in May won't have ever seen the refugee trail in Wayfarer or the Camp Coordinator in Lion's Arch.
Coming out with an installment each week is consistent enough to keep people interested while still providing enough time for most people to play each portion. Updating it by the week makes it feel like it's breathing and there is constant change. I'm under the impression that's what they are going for, no?
I think what you mean is that the weekly additions have been too subtle, right? http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Flame_and_Frost:_Prelude#Timeline

I can understand that, and on the one hand it would be nice if each week there was a bit more of a nudge toward what has changed. On the other hand, I did like being rewarded for seeking out the additions and piecing together scraps of the story myself.

edit: Kos, it's "Razing," meaning "to completely destroy," not "raising," hehe.

Well, we know at least that the Consortium is planning to construct a refuge in Southsun Cove for the fleeing residents of the Shiverpeaks. In terms of game content I imagine this is a clever excuse to permanently fill up a largely empty expanse of the gameworld with new events and things to do.

What's funny about this complaint is that actual refugee situations in real life really can take months, with more camps slowly being established to hold growing numbers before they find a permanent home. I mean, really, it's not that the scenario unfolding in-game isn't realistic, it's that it's too realistic! :p They're not going to be there forever. Someone who starts playing the game in May won't have ever seen the refugee trail in Wayfarer or the Camp Coordinator in Lion's Arch.

I think what you mean is that the weekly additions have been too subtle, right? http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Flame_and_Frost:_Prelude#Timeline

I can understand that, and on the one hand it would be nice if each week there was a bit more of a nudge toward what has changed. On the other hand, I did like being rewarded for seeking out the additions and piecing together scraps of the story myself.

edit: Kos, it's "Razing," meaning "to completely destroy," not "raising," hehe.
If you refer to my comment about a living quest constantly updating, just because it's a week later for us gamers, doesn't mean it's only been one week in the game. The next weeks content could be months later after refugees have been relocated, for instance. Or, the razing will be so severe that refugee traffic will end because of it. There are multiple ways they can take it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If you refer to my comment about a living quest constantly updating, just because it's a week later for us gamers, doesn't mean it's only been one week in the game. The next weeks content could be months later after refugees have been relocated, for instance. Or, the razing will be so severe that refugee traffic will end because of it. There are multiple ways they can take it.
Whoa, I don't really like that, at least not without some kind of in-universe explanation for the time-skips. I definitely like thinking that everything that has occurred so far was more or less in real time.

The very gradual reconstruction of the Lion's Arch statue to its former glory was one of my favorite touches of anything in the gameworld.

Whoa, I don't really like that, at least not without some kind of in-universe explanation for the time-skips. I definitely like thinking that everything that has occurred so far was more or less in real time.

I'm just saying it's a possibility. I just want things to make sense. If things get crazy with the razing, I don't want to see refugees calmly strolling down the road in Wayfarer. They can make these events happen a safe distance away, but then I'd want the refugee movement to have a new sense of urgency to reflect what's going on and you know they won't update what you do in the first portion which I would find necessary because you wouldn't be collecting tags off of corpses when there's an invading army razing everything. I agree with the preference of keeping things in real time if possible.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh, hell yeah.... that makes perfect sense. A sense of urgency is exactly what I'm hoping for most in the next update- the difference between "Gathering Storm" and "STORM TIME" as it were.

Xevren

Is there a go to place to level in your mid 30's? I rarely see people in the zones I was in yesterday, makes some events pretty difficult. I did try out some wvwvw yesterday, was pretty fun. I just followed random people and did alright. Ran across Hawkian randomly too.

Lunar15

All I'm saying is, it's the headline of each update, however, when I load up the game it's something I think about for 2 seconds and forget about shortly after.

I think the problem is that they have all these refugees, but we have no idea where they're even coming from. North of wayfarer and diessa is Frostgorge and Fireheart, and nothing's going on in those zones. I dunno, it just seems really obvious what they're doing and doesn't feel quite "real" yet.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Is there a go to place to level in your mid 30's? I rarely see people in the zones I was in yesterday, makes some events pretty difficult. I did try out some wvwvw yesterday, was pretty fun. I just followed random people and did alright. Ran across Hawkian randomly too.
:D Which one were you?

WvW was crazily last night. I was fending off packs of 3 or more DR invaders on my own. They just seemed so demoralized...
All I'm saying is, it's the headline of each update, however, when I load up the game it's something I think about for 2 seconds and forget about shortly after.

I think the problem is that they have all these refugees, but we have no idea where they're even coming from. North of wayfarer and diessa is Frostgorge and Fireheart, and nothing's going on in those zones. I dunno, it just seems really obvious what they're doing and doesn't feel quite "real" yet.
This I totally get. It seems like they've made a very conscious decision to give each patch a title that refers to the story content in that patch, even if it isn't close to the primary aspect of that patch. In November, by far the most significant addition to the game was Fractals of the Mists- yet the update was named after Lost Shores, which referred only to a one-time event that occured over 3 days out of the whole month, and a largely unpopulated new zone in the days thereafter.

It gives us a nice way to refer to which updates certain aspects were in (So glad we're not talking about build 10.4.2 D:), but it definitely has the effect of "this is the Flame and Frost patch?"

etiolate

Banned
I'm trying to level my Guardian, but I've lost interest in it. I am finding I prefer playing my Ranger and Necro more. I want a Heavy Armor class though, just to doll up my dude.

I think my troubles with my Guardian are that they feel less active to play and that I haven't found a nice weapon combo that doesn't involve Greatsword. I played a build in sPVP that was Hammer/Scepter, but it doesn't really work without all the traits.

Lunar15

:D Which one were you?

WvW was crazily last night. I was fending off packs of 3 or more DR invaders on my own. They just seemed so demoralized...

This I totally get. It seems like they've made a very conscious decision to give each patch a title that refers to the story content in that patch, even if it isn't close to the primary aspect of that patch. In November, by far the most significant addition to the game was Fractals of the Mists- yet the update was named after Lost Shores, which referred only to a one-time event that occured over 3 days out of the whole month, and a largely unpopulated new zone in the days thereafter.

It gives us a nice way to refer to which updates certain aspects were in (So glad we're not talking about build 10.4.2 D:), but it definitely has the effect of "this is the Flame and Frost patch?"

Everyone knows this is the "Elementals Get Legs" patch. That's how it will be remembered.

Retro

I'm trying to level my Guardian, but I've lost interest in it. I am finding I prefer playing my Ranger and Necro more. I want a Heavy Armor class though, just to doll up my dude.

I think my troubles with my Guardian are that they feel less active to play and that I haven't found a nice weapon combo that doesn't involve Greatsword. I played a build in sPVP that was Hammer/Scepter, but it doesn't really work without all the traits.

Warrior. Tons of weapons to mix up your playstyle, very nice control / support / damage options across the board, and the class is really nicely balanced, as we rarely get nerfed or buffed (but when changes are made, they tend to be small buffs). I was on the fence between Warrior and Guardian early on, but after Beta I was ready to go full Warrior. My poor Guardian gets neglected

Do eet.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't know why but I just accidentally hit page 1 somehow and read a bit before realizing.

etiolate is a crazy prophet
On the WvWvW Front:

Guilds are starting to transfer over to SBI since it became more widely known that we're #2 rank.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. There are plenty of times where I get instant queues and can go right into a Borderlands. I also don't want the server to become fat on people just looking to be higher ranked. It also means future drama.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

Warrior has so many weapon combinations for any play style that it might be worth looking into. Warrior's greatsword is the go-to weapon for most, which was feeling stale. Then tried axe/mace and it's such a nutty combo. Axe main has insane damage and mace offhand gives you a knockdown.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Shield is a pretty amazing offhand for warriors who run GS. Insert sword or mace mainhand depending on what you want to do.

Shambles

Vengeance: Controlling a turret while using this ability will no longer prevent camera reset on death.

Thank goodness. Ran into this bug when going through Arah for the first time. This was back when I didn't know that I could simply exit and re-enter a dungeon and join my party where they currently were. I ended up sitting there for well over an hour while the rest of my party fought for fear that if I quit at that point I'd lose all progress altogether. Eventually they hit a tough spot and I ended up quitting and coming back in ok. Good memories.

It seems like the class asked for in map chat for dungeon runs and Fractals are always Guardian. I know they can be beasts but maybe they just aren't your play style. I consider Guardians a little more supporty where as Warriors can likely dole a greater damage output.

Speaking of Rangers, if any of you guys are rolling one that you are really happy with, I'd love to hear what kind of build you are using. My buddy just received the game as a gift and started a Ranger and I'm really hoping he likes the game because he lives in Japan so it'd be a convenient way for hanging out and having fun together. Problem is he didn't like GW1 so no positive bias there and while I've convinced him GW2 is a completely different beast, he is the type whose fun is predicated on them playing well and having success. I never see Rangers talked up much online or brought up as good classes for higher end content so some assurance there would be nice. From everything I read pre-game release, every class is a beast. I have a friend who rolled a Ranger first and said he felt beastmaster pet builds were the only way to go yet I see people drilling monsters with arrows in the game. What's the hotness for ranger?

Edit: I should add he has little time to dedicate to playing and not the greatest amount of patience so he's not going to get into build theory like some of us. That's the main reason I'm asking you guys since I haven't ever looked at Ranger skills and traits myself and don't have the time to learn all of them at the moment.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I know nothing of Rangers. Mine doesn't even have all his weapon skills unlocked D:

From what I've heard, the "don't have a lot of time or patience for theory" classes are Warriors and *ahem* Thieves (D/D, anyway).

etiolate

Banned
My Ranger is only level 21 or 22, but I'm starting to enjoy it a bit more. They are quite versatile, feeling capable at range and in melee. I switch between about every weapon. I've been doing a lot of Greatsword & Sword/Dagger or Greatsword and Axe/Torch. Pairs well with pet attacks, especially Greatsword skill #2.

I know nothing of Rangers. Mine doesn't even have all his weapon skills unlocked D:

From what I've heard, the "don't have a lot of time or patience for theory" classes are Warriors and *ahem* Thieves (D/D, anyway).

Yeah I hoped to get him to just do Warrior for an easy time. I doubt he'll feel like re-rolling though. I pray he'll find Rangers to be good, would suck if he dismissed this game like he did GW1 as he sold his consoles. Fortunately, everything he disliked about GW1 is not in GW2 so there is hope.

Shambles

Just to be clear. You can't join a guild when you're guesting on another server right? But you can do dungeon runs with people on different servers?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just to be clear. You can't join a guild when you're guesting on another server right? But you can do dungeon runs with people on different servers?
You can join a guild from any server, but influence and everything like that is on a per-server basis. You're correct about dungeon runs.

Retro

So, I haven't been on GW2 or GAF for the last few days, as I've been busy building and moving into my new desk:

3SbHitv.jpg

Note the Shrine to Guild Wars 2:

For reference, here's the crappy folding table I've been using for the last 5 years or so;

Demon cat will probably nesting in the corner shortly. She would sleep by my feet with the old desk, and there's more room for her under this one. Anyways, that's where I've been. Damn thing was a bitch to put together, thanks to misprinted instructions and shoddy Chinese manufacturing techniques.

I'm assuming the guild isn't full any more. Can an officer send me an invite? My username is Shambles.6015

Invite Sent.

markot

Banned
Sea of sorrows was always number 3, but people got sick of it and lots of guilds transfered and now we are in free fall. ..

Arcteryx

Sea of sorrows was always number 3, but people got sick of it and lots of guilds transfered and now we are in free fall. ..

Yep, BG got a fair number of guilds from SoS. Supposedly, a couple of the larger(Oceanic) guilds on Kaineng are going to jump to SoR.

tl;dr: removing free xfers really didn't change anything, just requires "dat money" to do it now

I'm sure the top tier are even worse, but BG has ridiculous numbers. Had to play against them a few weeks in a row and it's frustrating when your server is clearly better, but so dwarfed by number that you just can't compete. Guilds being able to stockpile on one server ruins this mode for me. It would be so interesting if all servers were roughly equal in number. At least they do rank in tier to try and make things as fair as possible in terms of match ups. Oh well, now that I've cleared WvW with both characters, no reason to go back there anytime soon. I will say WvW is a great addition and a solid mode, don't want to sound like I'm hating on it. It can just be very very lopsided (though it's amazing when you're just trying to clear a server and the lop side is in your favor!)

Proven

This was my same problem with Guardian. They feel like a react and counter class. You have to let your opponent come to you, and then make them regret it. Otherwise you have to use Greatsword or Staff a lot, and probably a shout or two.

Warrior. Tons of weapons to mix up your playstyle, very nice control / support / damage options across the board, and the class is really nicely balanced, as we rarely get nerfed or buffed (but when changes are made, they tend to be small buffs). I was on the fence between Warrior and Guardian early on, but after Beta I was ready to go full Warrior. My poor Guardian gets neglected

Do eet.

I love Warrior, my first and favorite class after the official launch, and my biggest issue is the fact that they are one of the least sturdy classes in the game. They have incredible offensive options, but the game is so much about damage dodging rather than damage mitigation that everything comes down to burst... and then putting all of your efforts into staying alive between bursts. Combine this with the opportunity cost it takes for them to have vigor (use the warhorn, trait for warhorn if you want it up a decent amount of time, or replace the Mobile Strikes/Sweet Vengeance trait).

Warriors don't have a solid wear-you-down playstyle, and don't have the dodge+healing ability to make comebacks in most fights.

Thanks for the guild invite. Found a PUG to do Arah story mode last night (4 guildies). I AFK'ed during the Zhaitan fight and ended up in midair (and being left behind by the airship; weird glitch). Drops were kind of disappointing (Champ drops were better than chest contents). Also took a really long time to do (are other dungeons that long?). But at least I finished the PS.

Shambles

Thanks for the guild invite. Found a PUG to do Arah story mode last night (4 guildies). I AFK'ed during the Zhaitan fight and ended up in midair (and being left behind by the airship; weird glitch). Drops were kind of disappointing (Champ drops were better than chest contents). Also took a really long time to do (are other dungeons that long?). But at least I finished the PS.

Had that glitch. I thought that was supposed to be fix since the last patch. Did you happen to die from vengeance while you were on a turret?

Retro

I love Warrior, my first and favorite class after the official launch, and my biggest issue is the fact that they are one of the least sturdy classes in the game. They have incredible offensive options, but the game is so much about damage dodging rather than damage mitigation that everything comes down to burst... and then putting all of your efforts into staying alive between bursts. Combine this with the opportunity cost it takes for them to have vigor (use the warhorn, trait for warhorn if you want it up a decent amount of time, or replace the Mobile Strikes/Sweet Vengeance trait).

Warriors don't have a solid wear-you-down playstyle, and don't have the dodge+healing ability to make comebacks in most fights.

Heh, it's funny you say they're not very sturdy, when I've been in some pretty rough patches where people have written me off (ate two ceiling collapses on Rumblus before he could be interrupted) and I just kept kicking. Ask Hawkian what color God I am (spoilers:
I am a Golden God
).

We'll never be able to compete with Guardians (who are survivalists by nature, but take hits in other places for it), but Warriors do have some tricks if they're willing to sacrifice that burst. I'm spec'd deep into Tactics (300 Vitality) and wearing full Soldier Runes (another 165 Vitality and 50 toughness), and my armor is Magi spec (Healing Power / Precision / Vitality). I run three shouts in my utilities, with the Vigorous Shouts trait, so I'm usually healing about 2k at max level, which is about 7% of my max health (31k) per shout every 20 seconds (down from 25 thanks to Deep Breathing). Those shouts are also clearing conditions thanks to the Solider Runes.

The second part of my build is bleed damage, which is nice, sustained damage. Even with my choice of armor and shit accessories, I still run about 57% crit with Fury (which I have up 99% of the time thanks to Off-hand axe and "For Great Justice!"), so I'm still doing a lot of sustained damage, even when I have to dodge out and breathe for a sec (Rifle's auto-attack causes bleed). I've never felt like my damage was sub-par, and with all of the pure damage players out there, I'm being more useful bringing some support.

I'm not saying I'm rocking Guardian levels of survival, but I can take a licking and keep on ticking, even though I haven't gone for pure survival (only 15 points in Defense). I'll link to my build if you want to see it, it's ironically a variation of a WvW build.

So being as new as I am I have no clue what would make a viable build, especially to help you all out once I get high enough to run dungeons with you. I have a Ranger, Mesmer, and Warrior that I am splitting my time in. I saw that there are builds in the site that Retro linked but honestly I can't say which would be a better build over others. Any help on builds would be appreciated.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Attention Guildies!
Please donate 75s to the Guild Stash, or whatever influence you can afford from a Guild Promoter, once per week! Maybe pick a day and make that your "donate day."

You can get the silver necessary for this donation by simply doing three World Events in the course of a day and selling the rares outright. As this merely a once-per-week thing this should have a very minimal impact on your overall income, but will have a huge impact in terms of allowing management to make decisions on how and when to spend influence. These donations will enable us to unlock more guild missions, and unlock them faster. That means more kinds of things to do, more chances for great rewards every week as well as an increased rate of getting commendations to everyone in the guild.​

I personally want to thank everyone who has already donated and especially Sophreila/RadicalVelocity, whose drinks gave us a huge leg up!

The +Influence% buffs should be up relatively perpetually for the foreseeable future. The boost in influence gain per hour with our current rate activity ensures that these will basically always pay for themselves. If you happen to notice that these buffs are NOT active, please don't hesitate to ask an officer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom