• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

Oh, you can definitely do more with it. 2 is a bread and butter self combo with better retaliation upkeep than any other skill (auto attack symbol).

Is it fun? No. I don't think so. As I've said before in guild chat, the guardian is one of the most effective and boring classes I've ever played in a video game.

I feel really sorry for you.

Retro

Retro is right.

Quoting this for the wife as well.

As to the rest of the post, good stuff as usual.

This appears to be basic trolling. It should be obvious to anyone who has played a single character halfway to max level how wholly distinct the design philosophy is with regard to this sort of thing between the two games. If you wish to label both "grinding" nonetheless then go for it, but that does nothing to change the reality of the experience. Maybe you could clarify why you said this.

Public Service Announcement:
Mr. Luchador = Chriswok.

Hey, was wondering if there's any room on the GAFguild.

I was in a big guild like 2 weeks ago but I got food poisoning well playing (that knocked me right into the ER ... sucky week all around) and haven't played again until recently ... and so it seems I got bumped off.

Was only in the guild because I read about guild bonuses and some guy invited me with promises of increased magic find so I never knew anyone there. Thought it would be fun to try being in a guild with some people I can chat with.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
...oh. Well I wasted a fair bit of time this afternoon.
If you think an afternoon was a waste of time, try leveling it to 80! (Sorry, had to. Perfect opportunity and all.)

And yes, I'm having fun with the demo for Soul Sacrifice. There's a fun combat system.

Nothing on PC interests me at the moment.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yay new guildies!

This is going to be really weird but I'm going to respond to Arksy's post here, because I believe his opinions are really valuable and a good source of debate, but I still really really don't want to wade into that thread.

Arksy knows that I respect the crap out of him. He has great instincts and generally has his finger on the pulse of the industry. But he's making two cardinal errors here:

First, he's positing, without realizing it, that the way he likes things is the right way. The degree to which he hates the lack of a trinity is the degree to which I abhor the concept of the trinity itself. I hate needing to get certain classes into a group to succeed. I loathe that once an encounter is initiated, the job of each role-filler in the trinity is to execute the steps correctly and without deviation. I don't like how the trinity lends itself to assigned responsibilities that lead to blame, and I really hate the idea of being able to play a class that no one would want in a group. Combat in GW2 may be more chaotic than a game with a trinity but that's primarily because it's less restrictive. Instead of a group with the right makeup being the most successful it's a group that plays to its own strengths the most that succeeds.

The other thing is he's just daggum gosh-darned wrong about Zerging Winning All. I get where the impression comes from and there's no doubt that Shatterer, the Wurm, and the Maw work exactly as described.

But he's admitted to me he hasn't done every dungeon, let alone every dungeon path. He hasn't done the new AC. He hasn't done the new Grenth, Lyssa or Balthazar temples. Zerging at Ghost Eater will get you dead and covered in ectoplasm. The Orr events get massively tougher the more people there are present, and zerging at Grenth's priest will leave a pile of corpses on the ground for him and his shades to eat. Guild Bounties scale up in difficulty as well, to the point where going and standing near one without participating is one of the only existing methods of griefing in the game. And that's only one of 5 types of guild missions; from all description, Zerging will lead to swift defeat in Guild Challenges, and Treks, Puzzles, and Rushes require no combat at all to complete.
If you think an afternoon was a waste of time, try leveling it to 80! (Sorry, had to. Perfect opportunity and all.)
I was referring to spending any time at all responding to Chriswok's comments.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Mainly because the Guardian class is incredibly interesting and diverse.
Heh. The class and the traits play better when you keep its F1-F3 skills active and waiting.

There's very little interesting stuff weaved into the Guardian, especially when you compare what it offers to the game's alternatives. And more importantly, other games (GW1's dervish, monk or ritualist especially).

@Hawk. Darn. Would've been perfect.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Come on. The class plays better when you keep its F1-F3 skills active and waiting.
What do you mean by this? I've already found that popping them is crucial to my build, especially hitting Justice and/or Courage during the pause between the 2nd and 3rd attack of the hammer 1. With Absolute Resolution, Resolve will be an awesome go-to condition removal for me as well.

I still think it's a little lacking compared to the other class mechanics, but there's way more to it than I realized at first.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
What do you mean by this? I've already found that popping them is crucial to my build, especially hitting Justice and/or Courage during the pause between the 2nd and 3rd attack of the hammer 1. With Absolute Resolution, Resolve will be an awesome go-to condition removal for me as well.

I still think it's a little lacking compared to the other class mechanics, but there's way more to it than I realized at first.
I shouldn't have said "active", passive and waiting is what I meant.

Justice: If you go down Virtues trait line it's best kept passive for the PBAOE. If you use it in a party, it'll add quite a few seconds of burning, which is good for one of the traits in the first and second trait line (+damage on burning or conditions). Definitely the best to use.
Resolve: Both trait lines for Resolve work best when the virtue is left passive (by boosting its effect and allowing it to regenerate allies). It's also a minor heal (1min CD) and the dodge roll heal is much better overall (Resolve Active gets .75 of Healing Power, dodge roll gets 1). As for conditions - I think Guardian has more condition removal options than any other class. Not a tempting use of the Virtue. PS: Use Signet of Resolve.
Courage: Super situational, finicky, moderately luck-based. Should never be used recklessly unless you trait for it in Virtues to reduce the cooldown, because you're missing out on good, free and more frequent damage mitigation (except when an ally is in dire need, you're close to them, and you consider yourself lucky when it comes to timing). Personally I wish Aegis worked more like GW1's version to allow for defensive play, but bunkering is prevalent enough as it is in GW2. Or heck, I just got a better idea. Make Active Courage regenerate 50% of your nearby allies' endurance in order to take some of the randomness out of the equation and bring a skill-based mitigation mechanic back to the forefront instead of a bland one-time boon.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Trust me, people are going to die quickly and whine to thieves regardless. Cloak and Dagger will still give you enough invisibility to get through most of the population.

Trust me I know, I play a stealth thief. Still, when I play something else, I still hate dealing with them since it's more of a matter of not wanting to waste a huge amount of time.

I seem to get crashes in this game more frequently. I'm verifying my game data because I crashed twice consecutively after exiting a dungeon.

Retro

I seem to get crashes in this game more frequently. I'm verifying my game data because I crashed twice consecutively after exiting a dungeon.

Yeah, I'm gonna guess that something is broken on your end, I haven't crashed since the karka event in November. Don't hear about too many crashes these days either.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
True thieves will welcome any and all nerfs as an additional layer of challenge, your necks all explode so easy as it is

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
True thieves will welcome any and all nerfs as an additional layer of challenge, your necks all explode so easy as it is

True! I'd definitely give up some stealth if they're going to make thieves more mobile, even more mobile than eles they say!

I was worried when I saw people say there's a stealth nerf.. but watching the state of the game it's not so much a nerf as a balance. I've never been one to game the Revealed debuff playing cat and mouse but I'm also a Condi Thief so if I'm not hitting someone I don't have a chance to kill them.

Also happy to hear that they'll be looking at improving the viability of Conditions as a whole though it didn't seem like that's at the front of their minds at the moment. The day they fix Condi is the day I'm getting a ton of hate PMs in SPvP. :D

Prezhulio

so where's a good area to farm the monthly event achievement (i.e 100 events in a month)? i'm lvl50.

the other 3 monthly achievements are done or almost done, but the monthly event achievement is only at 33 :/ i wish it counted all the heart quests i've filled out.

so where's a good area to farm the monthly event achievement (i.e 100 events in a month)? i'm lvl50.

the other 3 monthly achievements are done or almost done, but the monthly event achievement is only at 33 :/ i wish it counted all the heart quests i've filled out.

Wayfarer foothills? The Maw is up ever 30 mins and is a string of 6 events that gets zergged in no time. People will announce it being up over local chat, so you could wander around the rest of the area looking for events in the meantime.

My highest character is level 55, so take that with a grain of salt.

There is also a event chain in kessex hills which starts with defending a bridge from centaurs, attacking thier strong hold and the killing their champion. Restarts fairly quickly.

Just look up event chains on the wiki for the areas you discovered already.

Forkball

Someone help me get back into this game. I have a level 80 thief and a level 16 ele. I want to grind up the ele, but the lower level areas are so lacking and GW2 is a difficult game to solo in (especially if you are a squishy elementalist). When I load up with my level 80, I feel like I don't know what to do. Don't really want to do my personal story anymore (at level 64), and I can never get a fractals group together. I forgot how to even get laurels and don't know how to do guild missions. I feel like I want to play, but have no idea what to do outside of some PVP sometimes.

HELP

Retro

Someone help me get back into this game. I have a level 80 thief and a level 16 ele. I want to grind up the ele, but the lower level areas are so lacking and GW2 is a difficult game to solo in (especially if you are a squishy elementalist). When I load up with my level 80, I feel like I don't know what to do. Don't really want to do my personal story anymore (at level 64), and I can never get a fractals group together. I forgot how to even get laurels and don't know how to do guild missions. I feel like I want to play, but have no idea what to do outside of some PVP sometimes.

HELP

Use GW2crafts.net to get 20 levels quickly, since the site pulls in data from the TP it will always show the cheapest route to 400 in any profession. Cooking can be done for like, 1 gold if you have the right Karma vendors unlocked (since you have an 80 and the ingredients are account bound, it shouldn't be a problem). That will push your ele up to 36. You can start doing dungeons or the more interesting zones, since you'll have your utility/elite slots unlocked.

Laurels are awarded for completing your daily and monthly. That's it.

Guild missions are fun as hell (they're the most fun I've ever had with a large group in an MMO), just show up at the announced time, hop into mumble (if only just to listen) and we'll pretty much explain what to do.

So far we just have Guild Bounties unlocked. For those, there's 15 named NPCs that wander around the world (and a few that are hiding, or running, or being digested inside a Karka...) that you can't attack unless they're part of your bounty. When we activate the bounty mission, we have 15 minutes to kill off the targets it randomly selects or we fail the event. There are three difficulty levels that award more merits (a currency used by the guild to unlock more stuff); Tier 1 has us track down 2 targets, Tier 2 has us track down 3, Tier 3 has us track down 6. That means for Tier 3, we have 15 minutes to kill off 6 bosses (and some of them are a pain in the ass). What usually happens is, we spread out to all of the zones they can appear in and start looking for them before the event is started, then we all madly scramble from zone to zone trying to off these guys before time runs out.

Some of the bounties are especially fun; there's one that runs faster than hell that's hard to keep up with, another that hides inside barrels in Gandaren Fields, one inside a random Veteran Karka that you have to kill in order to find the target... it's fun as hell, seriously.

What time is the tier 1 bounty tonight? 8 PM Eastern?

9 PM Eastern on Fridays for Tier 1, 4PM eastern on Saturdays for Tier 3.

Retro

Well that sounds fun!

That's an understatement, especially since the last few times we've done them, we've gotten Prisoner 1141, Sotzz and Tricksy.

The Prisoner is a female charr who hauls ass around Iron Marches. And I mean hauls. ass. We lucked out the one time we left her for last, I waypointed into the zone and she ran right in front of me. Which is funny because I only have like 3 waypoints in Iron Marches.

Sotzz hides in a barrel or keg in Gendarran Fields, I think somebody says there's over 300 locations in the zone where he can be hiding. Luckily, the last time we did bounties, I stumbled on him just before we started, and as luck would have it he was one of the bounties (if we hadn't spotted him, we would have failed for sure).

For those two reasons, I'm sort of the Guild's Tier 3 Good Luck Charm. I just wish some of that luck would go towards my loot once in a while
JUWnj.gif

Tricksy is a Skritt who roams around in an animal costume, like "Curious Cow" or "Mysterious Moa", in Blazeridge Mountains. You can't just watch for a skritt, you have to keep your eyes open for suspicious-looking critters.

Also, the last time we did Tier 3 (6 targets in 15 minutes) we had most of the bounties locked down (i.e. a guildie was in the zone and found them), but somebody didn't understand they were supposed to stick with their target and left to kill a different bounty. So when we went to go get the guy (Tricksy, of course, which made it harder) they were supposed to be watching.... yeah.

That one ended with 15 seconds on the clock. Very thrilling.

I said it before, in the OT and in the podcast; this is "Raiding done right". Large group events that put focus on guilds working together to get something awesome done, but instead of in an instance and limited to a set number of people, it's out in the world and anyone can participate. Everyone gets Commendations and some cash (not to mention 2 guaranteed rares or better, including a chance at precursors), the guild gets merits to unlock more cool stuff... and we haven't even done a Guild Trek, Rush, Challenge or Puzzle (and the puzzles look insanely cool). ArenaNet knocked it out of the park with just the bounties, as far as I'm concerned. Can't wait to see the other missions.

Here's an awesome video of all the guild mission stuff if you missed it, and Seda's awesome write-up. As we mentioned in the Podcast, we want to be THE guild on SBI when it comes to missions. We want to run them as often as possible, as quickly as possible. That's why we haven't been running guild buffs (except for influence), asking people to log in on all of their characters once a day, and started doing stuff like the guild lottery.

Shambles

How full is the GAF guild these days? Is it possible to get my wife on board even though she's not a gaffer so she can bounty with us or are we still culling less active members?

Retro

How full is the GAF guild these days? Is it possible to get my wife on board even though she's not a gaffer so she can bounty with us or are we still culling less active members?

We're just shy of 400/500 members, haven't had a culling in a few months. Plenty of room, just whisper/mail any of the officers or PM me her username.#### and I'll take care of it ASAP.

We have an open policy on friends & family of GAFers, so she's more than welcome to join, though you might want to have her read the Guild Policies so she knows what to expect (like NeoGAF, we're not always 'family friendly').

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
*yawns* Vegas....

HELP

• The low level areas for an Ele are actually a great opportunity to get good at the class. The difficulty of soloing varies from class to class, and you're right that squishy Eles have a tough time, but it's an opportunity to learn the core skills, get used to changing attunement frequently and decide on your weapon selection and what kind of utilities you want to get good with- Ele utilities are incredible. You can also do the big world events which in every newbie zone except Plains of Ashford will be hugely populated and a guaranteed rare, along with a bunch of XP. Other options for lvling are crafting as described above, playing WvW, just exploring (literally exploring- you get more xp the higher up the zone you're in, so just skulking about zones WAY above your level trying to stay alive will net you some great XP), and doing your dailies ON your Ele (each completed tier plus the daily bonus is a chunk of XP).
  • You are in the guild, right? When you log on, you'll wanna see where the event train is at. Basically there's ALWAYS something running or available to run. You can of course www.gw2lfg.com your groups also, it works exceptionally well.
  • You get laurels (so far) from Dailies (1 per daily completion) and Monthlies (10). For Guild Missions, just show up at the appointed time and it'll be all gravy. You only need to get a kill on one bounty for your weekly commendations. It makes a lot of sense after participating in it once.
  • I haven't beaten my personal story with any of my characters.

She is actually required to join.

So I have 4 guild commendations so far. If I can't make it to event tonight does that mean I will miss out on 2 commendations because tomorrow it resets?

Retro

Einbroch: got your pm regarding an invite, will send it as soon as I get home. I'm on my phone at the veterinarian, thought our appointment was at 3, not 1. Bleh. Invite sent, welcome to GAFGuild.

Hey that's Seda's! All I did was add the GAF-specific stuff for that one :)

Fixed, then.

I asked this in the GW2 thread that just popped up in Gaming, but maybe better asked here since I got no responses!

Any good breakdowns of what has happened in the last six months? I petered out when Fractals came around (I think that was right after Halloween event) and am wondering what things are like now.

Anything big as far as gameplay and classes? I liked the game but didn't make it anywhere near max level and tinkered with most all of the classes. I found that my one sticking point was that once you unlocked all of your weapon abilities the combat got rather rote.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Lots of classes have had skills changes. The combat is a lot deeper than you may have realized if you petered out long before hitting max. Trait synergy isn't fully available to you until 80, and getting at least one full rune and sigil set is crucial to enjoying its potential IMO. What level did you hit with which classes?

There have been significant changes to world events, daily achievements, and Orr in total, and guild missions were just added to the game. There's an ongoing refugee situation in the Southern Shiverpeaks we don't know the full cause of yet. You can also preview gear from the TP now. Run some stuff with guildies and see if you like it1

Retro

Any good breakdowns of what has happened in the last six months? I petered out when Fractals came around (I think that was right after Halloween event) and am wondering what things are like now.

November: Fractals, Bags of Wondrous Goods (Karma + Money + Dungeon Tokens) from all dungeon bosses, Southsun Cove (should have some content soon, see March below), Ascended back items and rings, Temple of the Silent Storms PVP map.

December: Wintersday (pity you missed it, it was really fun), Black Lion chest overhaul (New rare items, reduced tonic drop rate, added some items to it). Breakout Events and Sentries added to WvW.

January: Laurels (earned from daily/monthly completion), Laurel rewards, Guesting, end of free server transfers, Ascended amulets, Quaggan Backpack store item, major changes to Orr (less enemies, less enemy CC, more waypoints, new Orrian Jewelry box to buy with karma). Refugees start making their way to Hoelbrak/Black Citadel, disabled waypoints in dungeons if party is in combat, teaks to dungeons, making them slightly easier. Changes to fractals to allow easier grouping / resolve disconnect issues.

February: Guild Missions, redesigned AC (bosses and some events), Spirit Watch PVP map, temporary culling fix. Refugee trinkets recoverable and invasion portals begin appearing, refugees set up camps in Lion's Arch. Rated PVP, Choose-your-own Dailies. Preview items from Trading Post, Charr Backpack added to gemshop. Many world events (all of the dragons, fire elemental, golem, jungle wurm, etc.) received improved chest rewards, almost always guaranteed to get a rare now (or if you're Ashodin, an exotic).

March (Coming 3/26): Culling fixed, WvW updates, more Flame and Frost, apparently the Consortium is offering refugees safe haven in Southsun, so there may be events related to their camp / shelter there. Details should be coming next week.

And that's a bare bones description, lots of little things have been added too... specific class changes and more details here; http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates

Jira

I asked this in the GW2 thread that just popped up in Gaming, but maybe better asked here since I got no responses!

Anything big as far as gameplay and classes? I liked the game but didn't make it anywhere near max level and tinkered with most all of the classes. I found that my one sticking point was that once you unlocked all of your weapon abilities the combat got rather rote.

Oh boy, yeah when you don't play this game a lot changes quickly since they patch every single month.

Gameplay

- You missed Wintersday which was the best Christmas holiday event I've ever seen in gaming.

- Living Story was introduced to the game where the world changes week to week and larger month to month pushes. The idea is to tell an ever changing story in GW2 that changes the world over the course of each story arc. In some cases some changes will be permenant and change the world and events and others will be temporary and only part of that story arc. Thus far for those who are paying attention, the LS has been more interesting than the entirety of the Personal Story. There's been two installments thus far with March and April left for this arc. March is supposed to be a very huge push for the LS.

- New daily achievement system is in where you can choose 5 from a list of 9 achievements each day to complete your daily. Which leads us into...

- Laurels are a new currency that you get for completing daily & monthly achievements. You get 1 per daily and 10 per monthly. Here's a list of what you can buy with them:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Laurel_merchant#Items_offered

- You can now get on level loot anywhere in the world.

- Loot drops were improved dramatically in the open world, especially with the big event chests where you're all but guaranteed at least one rare from them.

- Orr had a huge pass over it. They thinnned out a lot of the Risen, redid all of the temple fights as well as their loot tables (rares all but guaranteed).

- Put in a new scaling tech in 4 Orr events as a testbed for the rest of the game. Based on the amount of people around, Veterans will turn into Champions to make things harder.

- They're redoing the dungeons one by one. AC was first, CM is next. Much better overall, more fun and balanced, some enemies have new skills, the bosses are all redone from the ground up with mechanics and everything has so much less HP.

- They rebalanced how level scaling works to make lower level areas harder and you a bit stronger when scaled up.

- Fractals got a change where you no longer have to be on the same level as others to play with them. There's a Fractal Difficulty Level and a Personal Reward Level. So if my PRL is 1 and I'm doing a FDL of 2, my personal level will increase to 2 once completed.

- Guesting is now in where you can go to two servers other than your home server for 24 hours. You can do everything but WvW.

- 2 new sPvP maps were added

- sPvP Tournaments are now all free

- sPvP now has a rating system where you get matched up in Tournaments against people of equal skill level

- All dungeons had a change where you cannot zerg rush from a waypoint. It's like Fractals now where you have to wait for your group to wipe in order to respawn.

- WvW had a change where if there's less than 25 people taking a keep, it doesn't show on the map that they are so smaller forces can actually achieve something without worry about the zerg knowing where they are as soon as they hit a keep door.

- Item previewing is in on the TP.

- Guild Missions are in. 5 different modes - Bounties (bounty hunting), Treks (scavenger hunts), Race (obstacle course), Puzzle, and Challenge (very hard content that takes a min of 20 people to do).

- Guild Commendations are a personal reward given to you one per week per mission type that you can spend on items. Here's a list:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Commendation_Trader

- Guild Merits are awarded for successful completion of Guild Missions. These allow us to unlock new mission types as well as a ton of different types of buffs for the guild.

- Kill credit on large HP mobs is now a lot easier to get therefore getting loot off a Champion is actually guaranteed.

As for class changes:

Take a look at the patch notes here as there's been A LOT.

March 26th

This will include a huge progression system for WvW as well as a ton of changes overall. Culling is gone, see this blog here. The Living Story is going to progress into something pretty big with this upcoming patch. Patch date is March 26th and we'll have a preview page up for it probably on Wednesday. https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/march-2013/

April Fool's

April Fools will no doubt be a part of GW2 come the 1st if ANet's history is anything to go by.

April patch

Some time in late April we'll get another patch. At this point all we can say with certainty is that it will wrap up the Flame & Frost story arc.

I hope this helped.

Wow, thanks guys. Looks like a ton of stuff went in!

Did they ever add in official controller support? I tried to use the unofficial setup that you guys came up with and could never really get it working satisfactory. =|

etiolate

Banned
I have a feeling that I may have to switch up my Engy PVE build when the kit refinement change comes. They are trying to improve turrets, but one of the issues with turrets is how easily they get blown up and you kind of wasted a utility.

On the Mesmer front, the most interesting change coming is that their beam hits will pierce. This means that spatial surge and confusing images will hit multiple targets along their line, but only 3 at max. This could improve scepter.

Retro

Wow, thanks guys. Looks like a ton of stuff went in!

Did they ever add in official controller support? I tried to use the unofficial setup that you guys came up with and could never really get it working satisfactory. =|

Hawkian is our resident controller configuration expert, he'll chime in any minute now.

Lunar15

Guys, you're not letting people know the most important and significant change in Guild Wars 2 over the past several months:

Air Elementals now have legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom