• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely plenty of room, send me a PM with your username.#### and I'll get ya in ASAP.

Thanks again for the invite!

Does anyone know of a decently player-populated level 60 area? I want to get more level-60 unique looking gear and earn some money so I decided to go to the only level 50-60 area I knew of at the time ... and though I can do small missions to get the hearts full and buy some karma goods I can't do ANY of the large events because NO ONE is there to help.

And by no one I mean NO ONE ... as in, I can run around for a hour and come across maybe 2 other players.
Guys, you're not letting people know the most important and significant change in Guild Wars 2 over the past several months:

Air Elementals now have legs.

That actually DID freak me out when I started playing again after my break O_0;

Soo much cooler now!

Jira

Thanks again for the invite!

Does anyone know of a decently player-populated level 60 area? I want to get more level-60 unique looking gear and earn some money so I decided to go to the only level 50-60 area I knew of at the time ... and though I can do small missions to get the hearts full and buy some karma goods I can't do ANY of the large events because NO ONE is there to help.

And by no one I mean NO ONE ... as in, I can run around for a hour and come across maybe 2 other players.

That actually DID freak me out when I started playing again after my break O_0;

Soo much cooler now!

Are you playing during primetime?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hawkian is our resident controller configuration expert, he'll chime in any minute now.
Hehe, Snakes- I'll happily troubleshoot with you til you get it working. It's worth it, I promise.

First things first, there are known compatibility issues with Windows 8, and neither I nor Weltall have an 8 test bed to play around with. If you're on Win8 that's probably your issue :(

If you're on 7, let me know where you went wrong.
Guys, you're not letting people know the most important and significant change in Guild Wars 2 over the past several months:

Air Elementals now have legs.
We joke about this, but I really do believe that including that in the patch was symbolic of a lot of the philosophy at ANet. Little touches like that are just as important to them as the more mundane quality-of-life changes that have no flavor to them- it's stuff like that that makes me smile every time I read the patch notes.
I have a feeling that I may have to switch up my Engy PVE build when the kit refinement change comes. They are trying to improve turrets, but one of the issues with turrets is how easily they get blown up and you kind of wasted a utility.

On the Mesmer front, the most interesting change coming is that their beam hits will pierce. This means that spatial surge and confusing images will hit multiple targets along their line, but only 3 at max. This could improve scepter.
I'm already in love with Confusing Images. This would be a epic buff to my Mesmer's control build, and depending on how the Spatial Surge damage piercing works, my damage build too.

Hehe, Snakes- I'll happily troubleshoot with you til you get it working. It's worth it, I promise.

First things first, there are known compatibility issues with Windows 8, and neither I nor Weltall have an 8 test bed to play around with. If you're on Win8 that's probably your issue :(

If you're on 7, let me know where you went wrong.

I am playing on W8, so there we have it! =D

I actually think the game controls perfectly well with KB/M--I just am at a desktop all day and need to rest my wrists during the evening.

I hope ANet decides to patch controller support. I know that Blizzard never did it with WoW, but here is hoping.

Are you playing during primetime?

I believe so?

I have no problems finding others in other, lower level places when I play. I have simply not been able to find a level 55-60 area with a population of players higher than 0/1. There are just sooo many events going on there and no one's around .... so strange.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I am playing on W8, so there we have it! =D

I actually think the game controls perfectly well with KB/M--I just am at a desktop all day and need to rest my wrists during the evening.

I hope ANet decides to patch controller support. I know that Blizzard never did it with WoW, but here is hoping.
GW2 is perfectly suited for it. More than any other RPG that wasn't a straight action-RPG, and even better than some that WERE designed for a controller.

It's a real shame about Windows 8. I know it's doable and it's a problem I'd love to solve, but I just can't do any testing yet :(

Actually though- you should look into Combat Mode which may be compatible with Win8. That, plus our Xpadder 360 profile from the package might do that trick!

I believe so?

I have no problems finding others in other, lower level places when I play. I have simply not been able to find a level 55-60 area with a population of players higher than 0/1. There are just sooo many events going on there and no one's around .... so strange.
Hm, what zone are you talking about? What server are you on? Consider guesting to a random Very High pop server, or best of all, asking the guild for help!

Finally- many, many dynamic events can be completed by a single player. Don't ignore or abandon an event just because you don't think it'll be doable on your own.

Ashodin

Top of the page!

GAF Guild Podcast Thursday 21st - should be up sometime for listening that weekend. Tier 1 Bounty tonight at 9 PM EDT, Tier 3 tomorrow at 4 PM EDT. Let's get crackin'!

GW2 is perfectly suited for it. More than any other RPG that wasn't a straight action-RPG, and even better than some that WERE designed for a controller.

It's a real shame about Windows 8. I know it's doable and it's a problem I'd love to solve, but I just can't do any testing yet :(

Actually though- you should look into Combat Mode which may be compatible with Win8. That, plus our Xpadder 360 profile from the package might do that trick!

Well I was about to say you wouldn't be able to post that often from Vegas.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
One thing Vegas has in spades is Wifi, baby! Other things too.

Actually I might even be able to make the bounty tonight. My last conference gets out in 2 hours, and my flight's not until 1:00AM EST.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Right, I'll have like 5:00PM-7:00PMish free Vegas StandardDaylight Time. :p

Tier 1 Bounties are like old hat for us already, be surprised if we even broke 10 minutes.

T1 bounty in 2 hours right? Also can I participate in this one and the T3 one tomorrow or whenever we do it? And get commendations for both?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
T1 bounty in 2 hours right? Also can I participate in this one and the T3 one tomorrow or whenever we do it? And get commendations for both?
You can of course participate in both. You'll only get the personal rewards from one though; the reset occurs on Saturday nights.

Hm, what zone are you talking about? What server are you on? Consider guesting to a random Very High pop server, or best of all, asking the guild for help!

Finally- many, many dynamic events can be completed by a single player. Don't ignore or abandon an event just because you don't think it'll be doable on your own.

Area? Somewhere between Kryta and Steamspur. Been running around the area between Bloodtide Coast and Sparkfly Fen.

Sever is Anvil Rock.

Guesting? No clue how to do that or why I would have to. My server has a high pop.

As for events, I know I can do some dynamic events solo (I do that a lot in lower areas) but I also know that there are many that simply can't be done alone ... and these seem to be common in this area.

Actually did ask the guild in chat and didn't get a answer :/

Levyne

Banned
Guesting is done on the character selection screen where it says "world selection" in the lower left. You can choose up to two servers to guest to every 24 hours. This allows you to mob world events at the same time the guild does, or partake in guild missions, or if you want to do a dungeon that's contested, you could try another server in a couple seconds that way.

Levyne

Banned
lol, just got my second final rest

will help start that t6 dust stack i need

edit: The commendations are not tied to tier. You help kill a boss and you get 2 of em. Nice and simple.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Area? Somewhere between Kryta and Steamspur. Been running around the area between Bloodtide Coast and Sparkfly Fen.
Well here are your basic options:

Mount Maelstrom is actually my favorite zone. It's usually got a pretty fair bit of people running about!

Sever is Anvil Rock.

Guesting? No clue how to do that or why I would have to. My server has a high pop.
For the moment, every server is either High or Very High population. Anvil Rock could have the lowest population of any server as far as we know and it'd still show High.

To guest, go to character select, click world selection, choose a server and click guest, and log back into your character.

As far as why you'd want to... because you could see if there were more people in that zone on another server! It's very simple and has no downside. You can guest to any 2 servers as many times as you like within a 24-hour period.

As for events, I know I can do some dynamic events solo (I do that a lot in lower areas) but I also know that there are many that simply can't be done alone ... and these seem to be common in this area.
Just FYI, you don't need to be in an "appropriate" zone to get relevant XP. You could level in the 30-50 level zones or even the newbie zones. The speed with which you'll be able to clear stuff tends to actually make up for the lesser amounts of XP.
Actually did ask the guild in chat and didn't get a answer :/
Sorry to hear that, I wonder what time it was. We are usually pretty helpful! Also, do you know how to link waypoints in chat?

So my friend has had this game for 2 weeks now and he's already a level 46 engineer. The reason this is bad is because I've had this game for 3 months and my highest level is a level 27 necromancer (which I'm not even going to main). This happened because I'm one of the pickiest guys in the world when it comes to classes. I've literally played every class to level 20 except elementalist to see which one I want to main, and now I'm lagging behind my friend. This is bad because my friend is giving ME tips after I've had it way longer then him.

Man, I need to catch up and fast and stick with one character instead of 4 because of indecisiveness.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah what I meant was that T1 and T3 both give 2 guild commendations? Or does T3 give more?
Okay just to clear this up once and for all....

You get two guild commendations for killing one bounty, as in a single boss, once per week.

It doesn't matter if this boss is part of a Tier 1 or a Tier 3 bounty, which is why we run relatively frequent "make-up" runs of the Tier 1s to make sure everybody can get their commendations, including the scheduled one in roughly a half hour.

Ashodin

Whoops, sorry I missed the T1 Bounty - apparently eating takes a long time to happen, haha.

Anyone else would like to do a later T1 Bounty? I'm thinking of doing it after 10 PM EDT.

Jira

So my friend has had this game for 2 weeks now and he's already a level 46 engineer. The reason this is bad is because I've had this game for 3 months and my highest level is a level 27 necromancer (which I'm not even going to main). This happened because I'm one of the pickiest guys in the world when it comes to classes. I've literally played every class to level 20 except elementalist to see which one I want to main, and now I'm lagging behind my friend. This is bad because my friend is giving ME tips after I've had it way longer then him.

Man, I need to catch up and fast and stick with one character instead of 4 because of indecisiveness.

Well the beauty of GW2 is the ability for people of higher level characters is that they can play with lower level characters and not be gimped by less xp or rewards. So tell your friend to come play with you.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah... let us never get to a place where we take the developers of the game running guild missions and dungeons with us for granted.

Jira

Yeah... let us never get to a place where we take the developers of the game running guild missions and dungeons with us for granted.

GW2 is the only game I've ever played where I've been able to not only openly communicate with the developers, but play with them as well. I've never seen another developer who doesn't hide behind the anonymity of their character and openly displays that they're a developer for all to see.

Well here are your basic options:

Mount Maelstrom is actually my favorite zone. It's usually got a pretty fair bit of people running about!

Thanks, will try it out next time!

To guest, go to character select, click world selection, choose a server and click guest, and log back into your character.

As far as why you'd want to... because you could see if there were more people in that zone on another server! It's very simple and has no downside. You can guest to any 2 servers as many times as you like within a 24-hour period.
Ok, so will I have to guest to do the bounty thing? The one that was going on today was in a level 80 area so that was a no go :/

Just FYI, you don't need to be in an "appropriate" zone to get relevant XP. You could level in the 30-50 level zones or even the newbie zones. The speed with which you'll be able to clear stuff tends to actually make up for the lesser amounts of XP.

Sorry to hear that, I wonder what time it was. We are usually pretty helpful! Also, do you know how to link waypoints in chat?

It's not just leveling (thought I HAVE fond it to be far more effective to clear hearts and Skill points as well as finding new areas to level up faster. Became clear when I was traveling with a friend who is new to the game and is playing a Race I had never explored ... pretty much went up 10 levels in 2ish play sessions). I'm also trying to gather materials for crafting (Mainly Tailoring but also anything else I can use for future or current characters) along with as much gold as I can get seeing as I'm at a whooping 2 gold (which I will need to unlock my last list of traits). I can't get higher level material from beating up lower level mobs and after looking at the tuts I can see that I'm only just now getting the loot drops I need for the next stages of tailoring.

So yeah, Finding a decent sized group and blowing through some higher level events could very well help me in more ways than one. There's also the fact that I want some unique armor options and from what lil I know you can buy them via karma or get them from dungeons (which is currently a big fat "NOPE" on my list of things to do in this game after the head ache that one I did gave me) ... but they don't scale with your level. So I'm also trying to find higher level Karma Vendors.

Ashodin

Working on Sunrise. It's a slow going process, but the updates to WVW this month will facilitate my return to WVW gloriously (as the guild as well, I think!), and working towards the Gift of Battle.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks, will try it out next time!

Ok, so will I have to guest to do the bounty thing? The one that was going on today was in a level 80 area so that was a no go :/
Just to give you a little info on this,

It's not that the guild missions was in a level 80, it's that a Tier 1 bounty consists of two targets, and one of them happened to be the one in Southsun Cove. Actually, if you had arrived a little earlier, the first target was in Sparkfly Fen. A Tier 3 bounty consists of 6 targets across the world, so it'll be zones in a number of level ranges. You only need to help kill one bounty to get your weekly personal rewards.

Also, while you'd definitely have died trying to get through Southsun alone, if you grouped with a party of 80s you'd have been fine. The game is really generous as to what it lets you get away with in a party that can carry you (as anyone in my level 47 run of TA explorable can attest to).

You are correct that you'd have to Guest to Stormbluff Isle to hunt with us, but it's very simple.

It's not just leveling (thought I HAVE fond it to be far more effective to clear hearts and Skill points as well as finding new areas to level up faster. Became clear when I was traveling with a friend who is new to the game and is playing a Race I had never explored ... pretty much went up 10 levels in 2ish play sessions). I'm also trying to gather materials for crafting (Mainly Tailoring but also anything else I can use for future or current characters) along with as much gold as I can get seeing as I'm at a whooping 2 gold (which I will need to unlock my last list of traits). I can't get higher level material from beating up lower level mobs and after looking at the tuts I can see that I'm only just now getting the loot drops I need for the next stages of tailoring.

So yeah, Finding a decent sized group and blowing through some higher level events could very well help me in more ways than one. There's also the fact that I want some unique armor options and from what lil I know you can buy them via karma or get them from dungeons (which is currently a big fat "NOPE" on my list of things to do in this game after the head ache that one I did gave me) ... but they don't scale with your level. So I'm also trying to find higher level Karma Vendors.
The poverty you're experiencing is pretty normal for your first character. I was basically totally bankrupted each time I bought a trait book. Your ability to earn gold explodes once you get to 80 and get your first complete armor set.

What I meant about leveling was, if you're solo, going to low level areas which you can clear quickly (hearts, skill points, vistas, and events) can be a fast way to gain XP, as can going to higher level zones (like Frostgorge Sound and Straits of Devastation) and merely exploring (as the completion content will likely be too tough).

Regarding your gear... what you really want to do if unique skins are important to you right now is to search on the TP. Filter by your level + or - 5. You can preview what it looks like from there, and gear at that level range tends to be pretty cheap. Of course, every heart you complete becomes a karma vendor and if it is at your level, it's worth checking out. But you'll have a hard time trying to find anything "unique" piece by piece in the open world at that range. The cosmetic options in the game open truly open up at 80. If you do find a look you like now, you'd be able to keep it when upgrading your gear- do you know how transmutation stones.

Finally, re: your dungeon experience, which was it and who did you run with?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Tips for Guild Bounties

Based on our experience last time there are a few things we can do proactively to increase our chances of a successful bounty hunt. :)

• TWO guildies need to stay with each potential target after they are found. One person being disconnected can be the difference between victory and failure, and it'll be a big help if anything goes wrong to have more than one person in each needed zone.
  • Having guild chat on is an absolute must. Ideally, you will also be in Mumble if only to listen to instruction and get updates faster. Note: you don't need to talk or even have a mic to go on Mumble. You can get on just to hear the people running the bounty and follow along. But at the very least, you must be watching guild chat. You cannot participate in guild missions otherwise, it simply isn't realistic.
  • If you need your commendations for the week, please just focus on getting to any one of the individual targets and getting your hits in. It doesn't matter which, and you only need one. Feel free to go to the one that is the most convenient for you if you are not level 80, do not have a lot of the map unlocked, etc., rather than trying to follow the guild to each one and missing them in turn. You can check which ones we are assigned on the Missions tab of the Guild screen.
  • Squad leaders are responsible for staying with their targets until they are dead, rallying people by linking waypoints and giving directions if help is required, and choosing the next target for their party after the individual one is defeated. If you are neither a squad leader or in a party with one, please just watch guild chat and go where help is requested.

These simple tweaks will give us a big edge. Dem bounties won't know what hit 'em!

Thanks in advance to all those who plan to participate in the hunt!

I also want to add that a lot of people tend to shy away from Mumble because they don't have mics. For the purposes of Bounties, mics aren't a necessity. It just helps the leaders get the relevant info out to everywhere faster and more accurately.

If you don't have a mic and want to answer, you can reply in G Chat or even in Mumble's text area for others to see.

Retro

Tier 3 Bounty complete
jumpikuk0.png

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This was our most efficient one yet- even though we ran into problems and hadn't found all the bounties before starting, we had over a minute more time left on the clock than last week's.

New tips based on this:

-We need a group of 5 in Blazeridge for Trekksa. She's rough to find AND a bitch to take down for a small group.
-If you see another guild tracking a target, ask them what Tier their guild is going for. If it's T1, it's probably best to just let them go first, and re-find the two targets after. This worked pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom