• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bounty was pretty awesome even though I was only able to help in one battle! :]

Not sure what those 2 things I got from it is for though ...

Just to give you a little info on this,

It's not that the guild missions was in a level 80, it's that a Tier 1 bounty consists of two targets, and one of them happened to be the one in Southsun Cove. Actually, if you had arrived a little earlier, the first target was in Sparkfly Fen. A Tier 3 bounty consists of 6 targets across the world, so it'll be zones in a number of level ranges. You only need to help kill one bounty to get your weekly personal rewards.

Also, while you'd definitely have died trying to get through Southsun alone, if you grouped with a party of 80s you'd have been fine. The game is really generous as to what it lets you get away with in a party that can carry you (as anyone in my level 47 run of TA explorable can attest to).

You are correct that you'd have to Guest to Stormbluff Isle to hunt with us, but it's very simple.
Ohhh, I see now.

Guess I should try to ask for help then.

The poverty you're experiencing is pretty normal for your first character. I was basically totally bankrupted each time I bought a trait book. Your ability to earn gold explodes once you get to 80 and get your first complete armor set.

What I meant about leveling was, if you're solo, going to low level areas which you can clear quickly (hearts, skill points, vistas, and events) can be a fast way to gain XP, as can going to higher level zones (like Frostgorge Sound and Straits of Devastation) and merely exploring (as the completion content will likely be too tough).

Regarding your gear... what you really want to do if unique skins are important to you right now is to search on the TP. Filter by your level + or - 5. You can preview what it looks like from there, and gear at that level range tends to be pretty cheap. Of course, every heart you complete becomes a karma vendor and if it is at your level, it's worth checking out. But you'll have a hard time trying to find anything "unique" piece by piece in the open world at that range. The cosmetic options in the game open truly open up at 80. If you do find a look you like now, you'd be able to keep it when upgrading your gear- do you know how transmutation stones.

Finally, re: your dungeon experience, which was it and who did you run with?
I see.

I have heard of transmutation stones, but I thought they were just something you get at 100% map completion.

As for the dungeon, I believe is was Ascalonian Catacombs. The guy who invited me was some random ranger when I was cycling level 13 events in my 40s. Basically our group ended up playing keep away after we got bashed up a few times by the first mini-boss. Had to keep redoing parts and then that 1-2 shot boss caused a ton a respawning. Whole thing took so much time ... not sure how long it was though. Felt like 3 hours. :/

EDIT-And no, IDK how to link way points.

Complistic

Those maguuma mesmers camping the eb jumping puzzle can go fuck themselves.

If it wasn't so late, we should have tried to rally a bunch more people and just zerg'd them.

I finally picked this game up and am enjoying it, I only have one problem. I suck.

Can I please get some advice and even have some help to like level me up fast? I am a thief and don't even know if I should make a PvE build, spvp build, WvW build ugghhh it is so overwhelming for me.

Other than that though the game is really fun.

fyi, this is my first mmo, so I am flat out terrible at the moment.

etiolate

Banned
I finally picked this game up and am enjoying it, I only have one problem. I suck.

Can I please get some advice and even have some help to like level me up fast? I am a thief and don't even know if I should make a PvE build, spvp build, WvW build ugghhh it is so overwhelming for me.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of replies on how to play a thief. Your spvp build will be a separate loadout from your pve/wvwvw experience. You can go to the spvp area and try out all the thief skills and traits in the lobby area.

Best advice I can give is to pick up every weapon a thief can use, learn the skills, and see which weapons you prefer. Your weapon choice will be the strongest determiner of your playstyle. (Engineers excepted).

I wouldn't worry about leveling up fast. The way the game is set up, how much of the world you've discovered is more a progress bar than leveling. Crafting is one of the quickest levelers, and you could hit 80 spending most of your time at a crafting station. However you need the materials to do so.

Just wander around the world, do events that are near you and gather everything. Every new character should buy a copper axe, copper mining pick and copper harvesting tool and then gather everything you come across. The gathering gets you xp and then crafting gets you xp. So wander around, do some stuff, come back to a city and craft. You also gain xp from personal story missions and also from WvWvW.

I'm sure gaffers will party up. You can add Zed Zebes to the flist and msg me in game.

Thieves are a bit harder to play in pve (just my opinion). You should just stay with a pve build right now, but what you can do is head to the heart of the mists (the pvp zone) which you can get to from the top menu bar. The pvp zone has all the skills unlocked for you and all traits so you can mess around in there with how different stuff works without unlocking. Just know that some pvp skills interact differently than pve. All i can say is just do the renowned heart quests for most of the 1-15 areas since they give exp in relation to your level (% base) so you level up pretty quickly. Plus try to get most of the skill points in those lower levels. I think if you complete around 2 zone you should be level 25 and should have a better understanding of the game mechanics. This was also my first real mmo and don't worry you'll catch on pretty quick

lol51

I have multiple builds for different situations. Remember, You can reset your traits at a trainer for like 3 silver at LVL 80.

For PvE i found ambush trap/thieves guild helpful for soloing tough guys. Found shortbow detonate shot helpful for tagging large groups of enemies. I enjoy getting conditions on a target with dagger/dagger 3 - keeps damage over time occurring. If you like maintaining a distance from guys pistol pistol + blinding powder + shadow refuge and you can just kite.

I frequently change my build/skills in WvW depending on the situation. If I am running with a very large group I share venoms, stack 8+ mights on as much people as possible + try to stay alive. If i am running with a smaller group i enjoy a power/precision + venoms + dagger storm to be able to dent larger zergs.

In terms of leveling: Do your daily achievements they give tons of EXP. Try to do map completion in zones that are your level range - dont do completion for a 1-15 zone when you are 25 etc. Dont look down at gathering or crafting they give decent exp too. Stay adequately geared because that makes a huge difference!

Is OverFlowrce still being supported at all? I'm looking into getting back into the game in April and want to help whichever GAF guild I can. Logged in this morning for the first time in forever, looked into OverFlowrce, but didn't see too much recent activity.

Is OverFlowrce still being supported at all? I'm looking into getting back into the game in April and want to help whichever GAF guild I can. Logged in this morning for the first time in forever, looked into OverFlowrce, but didn't see too much recent activity.

What is OverFlowrce?

There are a GAF and GAFO (GAF Overflow) guilds but for awhile now everyone that is in the GAF Overflow is in regular GAF because there is enough space.

Retro

So I hit 80 recently, is dungeon running the best way to make gold? I'm sure this has been asked ad nauseum.

I dunno if it's the best (playing the Trading Post apparently works wonders), but it's the most entertaining while being somewhat fast. Running COF1 and SE1 and AC Ghosteater are all pretty quick (slower, but more fun since the AC overhaul) and can be done in a night for about 3-5 gold depending on your luck. Use Raspberry Peach bars to increase the money earned by 30%. Magic-Find gear, if you use it, doesn't work on chests.

3/16/2013 - GAF Guild Tier 3 Bounty Mission Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHnMl7NAgBw

Awesome, but on further investigation I didn't actually get 5 people with my warbanner, there were only 4. My personal best remains unchanged.

Kos made a good point on this though, we need more people recording at all of the bounties so we can edit the whole missions together. Maybe throw in some epic music.

You don't want to level fast, the game you're playing at level 1 is the game you're playing at level 80. You don't hit max level and suddenly start playing a completely different game like you would with other MMOs, the breadth of content just expands. Take your time, enjoy the scenery, smell the roses. The stuff at 80 will still be there (or improved, actually) when you get there.

If you still feel like you're not leveling, try doing a little of everything. You level up from pretty much everything in this game (gathering, killing, events, hearts, WvW, PvP, daily achievements, crafting... even wandering around exploring) so just playing is rewarding enough. Hit every node, get to every vista, do any events you find... pretty soon you'll be leveling up and not realizing it.

The only real shortcut is to grab a crafting guide and level up two professions. It's expensive, but it's 10 levels per profession and you can drop ones you've completed and theoretically do all 8. But it's a lot of money.

At lower levels, try not to worry about spec; you'll be resetting them at level 10, 40 and 60 when you use the manuals.

That's a good thing, honestly. People who have played other MMOs have been conditioned to a certain kind of behavior that runs counter to Guild Wars 2 (and reality, for that matter...). You would have had a lot to unlearn, crap like tagging mobs, stealing nodes, spawn camping, ninja looting, power-leveling... you're already well ahead of the pack starting from scratch at this point in the genre.

Overflowrce hasn't been getting any support because we moved all of the active players into the main GAFGuild after the last culling. There's plenty of room in the main guild now, so if you're back and actively playing you've got an invite headed your way (Kos tells me you're on, so I'm getting on to get you switched over now).

Also, in case anyone is curious, our numbers slowly dropped between November (mostly because of the holidays) and February when people started to come back. We floated around 300 for most of the winter, but now we're back up to 400 again and climbing. The March update should bring a lot of new content too, that should entice even more people back.

Lunar15

Myself and five people couldn't kill this one mesmer invader on our own borderland. It was... embarrassing. And it's not like he ran away, we were fighting him for at least 15 minutes.

What is OverFlowrce?

There are a GAF and GAFO (GAF Overflow) guilds but for awhile now everyone that is in the GAF Overflow is in regular GAF because there is enough space.

Ah, that makes sense; thanks for the heads up. Overflowrce was just a nickname for the overflow guild back when it was needed.

Overflowrce hasn't been getting any support because we moved all of the active players into the main GAFGuild after the last culling. There's plenty of room in the main guild now, so if you're back and actively playing you've got an invite headed your way (Kos tells me you're on, so I'm getting on to get you switched over now).

Also, in case anyone is curious, our numbers slowly dropped between November (mostly because of the holidays) and February when people started to come back. We floated around 300 for most of the winter, but now we're back up to 400 again and climbing. The March update should bring a lot of new content too, that should entice even more people back.

Awesome! Accepted the invite and changed my representation. I'll being play sporadically for the rest of March, but should be putting in some good time when April rolls around.

Retro

Awesome! Accepted the invite and changed my representation. I'll being play sporadically for the rest of March, but should be putting in some good time when April rolls around.

Just in time for April Fools (which is supposed to be good, the devs we've talked to all say it's cool) and the March WvW update. See you in-game.

I appreciate all the advice that has been given to me so thank you guys! Now another thing that is a concern of mine is my gear, it is absolute trash. Do I just remain patient for the drops?

Ashodin

lol i watched that just to see where i tell doc that we can take trekksa on with only 2 ppl haha. Definitely a terrible decision on my part

Just keep in mind that Trekksa is a double major biotch.

Watching the T3 bounty again and Crusader Michiele bouncing Unicorns back at Seda. Glorious

Trey

Watching the T3 bounty again and Crusader Michiele bouncing Unicorns back at Seda. Glorious

That should be the game's tagline. "Enemies bounce your unicorns back at you." That has pretty much everything.

Also, I never get tired of running AC.

You know what I just realized?

You are the great and powerful Firetross!!!

*mindblown*

HAHA, yea irfaanator is what i use a lot since it was what I was called in high school since my first name is irfaan. I picked up firetross a couple years ago lol. My mesmer name is irfaanator :)

Jira

Also please let that GW2 thread die. It's just a bunch of GW2 haters dissecting the game into what they hate most about it.

That thread is still going? Hmm the success of GW2 must be getting to people then. Kinda hard to not become a target when you have the fastest selling MMO of all time and are only the third MMO in nearly a decade where the playerbase increased after the first month. No one in the industry really gives a shit about making WoW clones anymore. Now it's all about GW2 clones and sandboxes. Kinda funny/sad that MMO devs took 8 years to realize that they weren't going to see the success WoW got by copying it and are now copying the new hotness (which is sad all the same). If they didn't see success by copying WoW, how in the hell do they expect to see success from copying GW2 when GW2 is so much more complex from a design standpoint? Dynamic Events alone take ten times the amount of time to create and test than a single normal MMO quest. Most games feel disjointed and each feature is designed in a vacuum separate from the rest of the game. I've never played another game before that is so holistically designed, where each aspect of the game just melds so well with each other as if they were made for each other. GW2 is a masterful example of game design and shows what happens when a team puts their heart and soul into a project and always refers back to the groundwork design philosophies that they set for themselves right at the start.

jersoc

if we finally move away from wow clones to more sandboxes ala asheron's call. then bring that shit on. also go back to skill based.

Main game, WvW and sPVP are pretty detached from each other, I think they'll only further separate too as each 'mode' gets unique skills (as that's the only way to 'balance' the terrible class designs).

Lunar15

While that thread had a lot of hate on GW2 from people who tried it and hated it (understandable) and a lot of people who never played it (less understandable), I feel like we've seen more new and returning players show up to this thread or the game in the past week. The attention was ultimately good for the guild, in my opinion.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Is there anything more fun than going to WvW, popping a mystery tonic, following a zerg around and finishing people off as an owl?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Is there anything more fun than going to WvW, popping a mystery tonic, following a zerg around and finishing people off as an owl?

Close is hanging out in Orr and watching unsuspecting groups get killed by a champion risen chicken.

I'll take my Python where I can get it.

Retro

I played an absolutely unheathly amount of GW2 this weekend.

Yeah, same here, especially since my wife had Friday and Monday off, so it was sort of a 4-day weekend. Probably 15 gold and twice that in ectos? I lost track, but I've been using my desk calendar to track which events I've done, and most of 'em are on there. Still need to do Claw for today (lucky for me, he's about to enter his respawn window).

And on that note, I know it circulated quickly in-game, but there's a new dragon timer in town that's much easier on the eyes and (so far) more accurate: http://gw2stuff.com/events/stormbluff-isle. I like that it lights up when events are ongoing, and shows the quality of the voting on the timeline (that's why four of the events are listed as "Not a clue", nobody was voting last night).

Also please let that GW2 thread die. It's just a bunch of GW2 haters dissecting the game into what they hate most about it.

Yeah, I was tempted to reply to some of the .... ahem ... more interesting comments, but it's just going to keep the thread at the top of the page. Terrible article spawns terrible thread spawns terrible comments like these;

Goon: I'd love to see a video of a Warrior actively engaging a boss during a solo dungeon run.

Divvy: Here's a warrior soloing Giganticus Lupicus.

Goon: Cool, wasn't aware that there were bosses designed to be soloable.

No boss in the history of MMOs has ever been intentionally designed to be soloable, and this guy knows it. He's just being passively condescending. And then there's this whole big pile of Duh;

It is a really amazing game.
And it has changed to "BAD"

those thinking of coming back, better dont.
coz it is no longer you can come back and play anytime and still feel powerful.
The best gear in this game is "Gated/Timed" now..
you need 30days of playing every day to get the best amulet..
you need to level up in new dungeon to level 10 and you need to play it every day to have a "chance" of getting the best ring in this game.
you need to have a very big guild to get the best accessory in this game..

it is no longer everyone can have the best gear in this game and the rest is just cosmetic.

Yeah... that's... special.... and as usual, Tekno has made his usual appearance, which basically gives moderator approval to all the trolling.

While that thread had a lot of hate on GW2 from people who tried it and hated it (understandable) and a lot of people who never played it (less understandable), I feel like we've seen more new and returning players show up to this thread or the game in the past week. The attention was ultimately good for the guild, in my opinion.

You may be right, but there's also the unseen alternative; people who maybe had a genuine interest in the game check out the thread and hear all of this negatively-skewed / outright false commentary and decide not to try it.

All I know is, I'm not going into threads like that trying to defend Guild Wars 2. The game is good enough that I don't need to defend it, and anyone who makes up their mind before they play it (or play it for 20 levels, heh) is missing out. The game's numbers are up and sales are strong, and content keeps coming without fail; I'm not worried about a handful of GAFers with an axe to grind because they're loyal to some other game.

The beauty of GW2 is that it can be played whenever there's time, as hardcore or as casual as you like, without demanding so much time that it forces you to give up other games. That was one of the problems with other MMOs I've played; they required to you to stay subscribed and stay active because taking a break for a few weeks meant you were going to come back and be behind everyone else. If Wildstar or EQNext comes out and kicks ass, I'll certainly give them a try (especially EQNext, if it's as sandbox-y as I keep hearing), and everyone already knows I'm going to disappear for a while when Starbound comes out too.

So...erm... yeah... let the trashy thread die off, already.

Close is hanging out in Orr and watching unsuspecting groups get killed by a champion risen chicken.

I'll take my Python where I can get it.

One of the Beta Weekends (I think it was the first, actually) ended with an event in Wayfarer Foothills where a Legendary White Bunny spawned. Of course, there were so many people there you couldn't see it, but I could at least see his character portrait. Here's a screenshot I took of it.

hythloday

Last night the jungle wurm died before I could even get it targeted. Over time, I think some people will begin to focus on other activities (WvW patch? Dungeon updates?) and not crowd around the second the window opens, so it won't be a real problem, but still.. perhaps little more HP on some bosses is needed, or better scaling to keep them alive longer when there's a zerg.

I personally ignore the spawn timers and don't do all of them each day. Ticking off a list feels too much like running errands. OK, I got the Shadow Behemoth, now I need to stop at Walgreens and get more allergy pills before Maw's window opens... feh.

The beauty of GW2 is that it can be played whenever there's time, as hardcore or as casual as you like, without demanding so much time that it forces you to give up other games.

That's exactly why I'm still playing it. More than once I've taken a week off from it, or a week where I don't play it much at all, and been able to come back and pick up right where I left off.

I don't ever feel like I need to play it, which not coincidentally makes me want to play it more.

Myself and five people couldn't kill this one mesmer invader on our own borderland. It was... embarrassing. And it's not like he ran away, we were fighting him for at least 15 minutes.

What skills was he using? That's some serious longevity and I'd be curious if there's something I could take from it for my mesmer.

ZetaEpyon

I personally ignore the spawn timers and don't do all of them each day. Ticking off a list feels too much like running errands. OK, I got the Shadow Behemoth, now I need to stop at Walgreens and get more allergy pills before Maw's window opens... feh.

I have started to do this to some extent too. Rather than trying to check everything off, I'll just look at the timers when I have some available time or actually feel like doing something, and see if anything is close.

As far as the zerging goes, I've run into that a few times as well. On those lower level ones, I've essentially fallen back to throwing on a greatsword or something and just spamming attack as soon as the thing appears.

I have to think there's some way that they can improve the congestion, especially factoring people who are guesting to get things done more quickly on alts. Maybe something like changing the chest so that it's once per account per day instead of per character, but substantially improving the quality of what you get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom