• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

bakeray

Level my engineer to 80 and haven't really played much since the first month of release, just redownloaded last night and am looking into getting back into the game, was wondering what the best thing to do now is? I have about 65% of the map completed, just wondering what has been added/what armor to go after now, and also isn't there a new patch soon? Any details/information will be helpful.

Retro

That's exactly why I'm still playing it. More than once I've taken a week off from it, or a week where I don't play it much at all, and been able to come back and pick up right where I left off.

I don't ever feel like I need to play it, which not coincidentally makes me want to play it more.

I took about a week and a half off this month, I got a new desk and needed to put it together and get everything moved over to it. Then I needed a week or so to get comfortable, sort out where my monitor / keyboard needed to go to be comfortable... stuff like that. Then I hit it hard at the end of last week/this weekend. I didn't miss anything but the enjoyment of playing. It was nice to take a break though, I was doing all of the timed events regularly and like Hythloday mentioned above, it starts to feel a routine or chore if you let it. I'm not chasing a Legendary or anything, so ectos and materials are literally for 'some day'. The only thing I'm actually chasing is getting more gold so I can kick up our influence levels every so often.

Level my engineer to 80 and haven't really played much since the first month of release, just redownloaded last night and am looking into getting back into the game, was wondering what the best thing to do now is? I have about 65% of the map completed, just wondering what has been added/what armor to go after now, and also isn't there a new patch soon? Any details/information will be helpful.

Here's a rough list of stuff they've added since November. October was mostly the Halloween event so that list isn't missing much.

There hasn't really been any new armor or items to hunt down that demand your attention immediately. There are new Ascended items, but lots of us don't have them. The only ones you'll absolutely want are the rings, which you need for higher level fractals, which are earned from lower-level fractals, so... that works out nicely. Otherwise, if you're in full exotics, you should be fine.

Maybe take a look at your traits because engineers have had a few changes in the interim, but nothing sweeping.

New patch drops next Tuesday, includes a fix to WvW culling, supposed to add a WvW progression system, and who knows what else. There's the next chapter of the Living Story (which has been a slow burn for the last few months, you could catch up quick if you want the achievements, but there's little else involved yet).

etiolate

Banned
Since launch?

There's Fractals of the Mists. It's an endless-dungeon type that repeats the same set of mini-dungeons in a random order, escalating in difficulty as you pass each set and "level up" your difficulty. At higher difficulty comes greater rewards.

What everyone is doing now is all the meta-event bosses. They changed the rewards to one chest per boss per character per day, but you are sure to get at least a rare quality item from each chest. The loot change also has increased the chance at getting the named and specific exotics of each meta-event boss. So now lots of people do all the dragons, Shadow Behemoth, Maw, etc.

They've added new events to the game, but its hard to say where all of them are. Even if you 100% a zone, its likely that you haven't seen all the zone's content.

Orr was reworked. They nerfed down the amount of mobs and took away their CCs. It's more traversable now. It still suffers from ZOMBIELAND though. I hope they slowly introduce a gentrifying of certain parts of Orr as the larger story moves into the next phase.

They also reworked Grenth's Temple boss. It wipes people like no other. As with the dragons and other meta event bosses, each temple has had its rewards improved.

Dungeons have also had their rewards improved and Ascalon Catacombs got a rework. Boss fights are a lot different now.

sPVP has had two or three new maps added since launch. They've changed the tournament side from bracketed paid tiers to free one-offs and ranked tournaments.

WvWvW had orbs removed and breakout events added. This is supposed to be the big WvWvW patch this month on the 26th. All we really know for sure is that they are removign culling from WvWvW and adding some sort of personal progression system to WvWvW.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Since launch?

There's Fractals of the Mists. It's an endless-dungeon type that repeats the same set of mini-dungeons in a random order, escalating in difficulty as you pass each set and "level up" your difficulty. At higher difficulty comes greater rewards.

What everyone is doing now is all the meta-event bosses. They changed the rewards to one chest per boss per character per day, but you are sure to get at least a rare quality item from each chest. The loot change also has increased the chance at getting the named and specific exotics of each meta-event boss. So now lots of people do all the dragons, Shadow Behemoth, Maw, etc.

They've added new events to the game, but its hard to say where all of them are. Even if you 100% a zone, its likely that you haven't seen all the zone's content.

Orr was reworked. They nerfed down the amount of mobs and took away their CCs. It's more traversable now. It still suffers from ZOMBIELAND though. I hope they slowly introduce a gentrifying of certain parts of Orr as the larger story moves into the next phase.

They also reworked Grenth's Temple boss. It wipes people like no other. As with the dragons and other meta event bosses, each temple has had its rewards improved.

Dungeons have also had their rewards improved and Ascalon Catacombs got a rework. Boss fights are a lot different now.

sPVP has had two or three new maps added since launch. They've changed the tournament side from bracketed paid tiers to free one-offs and ranked tournaments.

WvWvW had orbs removed and breakout events added. This is supposed to be the big WvWvW patch this month on the 26th. All we really know for sure is that they are removign culling from WvWvW and adding some sort of personal progression system to WvWvW.

Don't forget WvW also had its loot drops substantially buffed, including the addition of the ability to get supply off players and dolyaks, and the dailies system was completely redone.

Also we have at least four devs in the guild now. Don't bug them though they're good people.

edIt: Ah, new page, so here's a thing.

Like Seda and Retro, I made a ton of gold this weekend. Just a bundle. This game has a real "rich get richer" thing going on, such that the more you have to invest, the more ways and the more rapidly you can seriously profit. This might be a bad thing to have in real life (no one needs to apply for Tyrian Welfare) but it's an exceedingly good thing in-game, because it means the closer you get to a gold-oriented goal the easier it is to save toward that goal.

Because so much of the money I generated this weekend was just applying concepts I have understood for a long time but never put into practice all at once before, I'm going to put the finishing touches on and release a "ways to make gold in GW2" post that hopefully will be useful for some around these parts.

I went back and forth philosophically about whether or not to make it public for a while, but I think I will. The economy is very player-driven, but it's be guiding more by in-game tweaks like the world event reward change than we would be able to hope to effect, so it can't do too much harm.

I can take a guess that most of the hate is coming from WoW fans, seeing has how gw2 is stealijg its spotlight. My cousin was a WoW fan until they nerfed his favorite class. He hates gw2 and the only complaint he can give me is repetitive, which is a stupid argument and I don't waste my time with it. I for one enjoy this game, the learning curve isn't to bad, with the help of GAFI've been able to enjoy this game.

Ashodin

Also a lot of TERA fans claiming its combat is better. Which is clearly bunk. Having to stand while you do ANY attack and not being able to move is not the same thing as what GW2 offers.

Also a lot of TERA fans claiming its combat is better. Which is clearly bunk. Having to stand while you do ANY attack and not being able to move is not the same thing as what GW2 offers.

Yeah. I played Tera from it's first two Focus Group Tests and the combat just doesn't feel like what I expected from the billing. It's very slow and while movement does matter it doesn't feel action-y at all to me. Being forced to stand still while casting some attacks and being forced to move in a specific direction while executing other attacks feels restricting rather than fluid. In my play experience, GW2 has always felt more fluid and fast regardless of the fact that you "tab to target."

Of course, each persons taste will vary so I try my hardest not to bother with arguing with people who feel otherwise. Neither party will be convinced by the other, so it seems like a waste of energy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
They're very different. I bet TERA does have a higher skill ceiling for most classes, and melee combat probably feels a lot more like an action game at higher levels. But especially with ranged the stopping-in-place really took me out of it. It's clearly a great combat engine though, I wish I could enjoy more about the game. :(

Katoki

I think I only prefer TERA due to it's mouse-look style combat and the human/high elf FEMALE outfits. Beyond that, it's only pretty and uses the same quest hub and fetch formula. Now if GW2 had built in mouse-look combat without the need to use AHK, that'd be great.

I went and caused my rig to not work so I'm in the process of troubleshooting it. Right now I don't get to play either game.

birdchili

it's an exceedingly good thing in-game, because it means the closer you get to a gold-oriented goal the easier it is to save toward that goal.
it's not good if you make money by messing about in the tp rather than engaging in HEROIC ADVENTURES OF HEROISM.

i honestly don't care, but if it's simple to extract large benefits by gaming various systems rather than by... playing the fun parts of the game, that'll just cause inflation that will hurt people who don't want to spend a bunch of time playing the market.

i'm curious to read your post, of course:)

Going off of the '4 vs me' vid, it looks like he namely spams the invis skill with some sword 2 to stay alive as well as reflect with focus skills, of course. I'm surprised he can use the invis skill so often, I haven't tried that skill myself though I have it unlocked. I should check it out. He probably has the glamor mastery trait unlocked to do it so often. I'm really curious what his traits and armor look like, he might have much higher toughness than I. I have pretty much glass cannon but I have 25 trait points into Inspiration so I still have pretty high vitality. I'm still trying to figure out if I want to go full zerker like I planned, or maybe stack toughness and vitality for armor and just go zerker with accessories. Could consider vitality and toughness armor with zerker runes even.

Katoki

A couple of the recent posts read a little fanboyish tbh

You mean regarding WoW and TERA? People will defend their games tooth and nail if they need to. Same goes for our own population I suppose but I'm not pointing at the GAF community in particular.

I TRY not to comment on it as I play everything that I have access to except for WoW since that requires paying per month.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
it's not good if you make money by messing about in the tp rather than engaging in HEROIC ADVENTURES OF HEROISM.

i honestly don't care, but if it's simple to extract large benefits by gaming various systems rather than by... playing the fun parts of the game, that'll just cause inflation that will hurt people who don't want to spend a bunch of time playing the market.

i'm curious to read your post, of course:)
Playing the TP is just one of what's looking like 11 ways that I will mention, and it's the most boring and not the most effective, either. Speculative inflation (like what's about to happen to ectos, for example) is going to have a bigger impact on hurting players than any kind of coordinated flipping will, but regardless, it wouldn't be a good idea to neglect to mention it either way. It's not how I made my money.

docbon

Ashodin have you actually played tera longer than 10 minutes

I actually like Tera combat more than GW2 personally. I play a lot of action games and knowing how your animations and your enemies is a big deal. You also need to learn what moves can be canceled by what, either by a dodge or another move. I have a warrior and I solo all the BAMs I've run into so far. It's very monster hunterish and just because you have to go through an animation for an attack doesn't make it less of an action game imo. The ranged classes actually melt if they get touched by a BAM, and I think the standing still while shooting is an important balancing aspect. Crossbows in MH were pretty much the most difficult weapons to use because you had to know when to pick your shots.

I did wish GW2 committed one way or another when it came to action-based combat though. Trying to solo a champion is nothing like trying to solo a BAM. A lot of things are unavoidable unless you roll and even though big attacks have tells, you can't avoid every single attack thrown your way since there's tracking on a lot of moves (you can out-curve somethings but you have to be in the right time and place).

That said, killing BAMs is the only thing I liked about Tera's questing. I wish GW2 could capture that same feeling but at least the dynamic events won't make you go into a coma like most of Tera's quests.

Yep. It absolutely bothered me that I couldn't cancel out of an animation while attacking.

Only some things could be canceled. You had to experiment to find out. Its sort of like how in fighting games different moves have different cancel properties and some just are that much more committed than others. Though for a warrior the dodge roll cancels most moves except a select few and luckily they have moves that cancel each other that can move you around (you can dodge attacks by moving laterally with rising fury for example since it moves you forward).

Jira

In the upcoming patch they're making some changes to the rare loot pinatas.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/news/Upcoming-mega-boss-chest-change/first#post1656442

In the next release we will adjust the way that world mega bosses award their loot. The current chests will stay lootable once per day per character, but each boss’s guaranteed rare item drop will be moved to a separate chest (visually similar to daily achievement reward chests) that can only be acquired once per day across an account.

Our intention with this change is to keep providing rewarding loot for world mega bosses while avoiding overwhelming participation in boss fights (and overwhelming the economy with rares) from players cycling through each character slot for each boss every day.

This will push ectos back up in price as well as alleviate the mass zerging, culling, latency issues, and generally unfun issues that have become most world events.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I can dramatically simplify the spreadsheet, too :p

Definitely look forward to the less popular events getting run more often with the guild as a result. Also, they better fix the damn megadestroyer.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Crossbows in MH were pretty much the most difficult weapons to use because you had to know when to pick your shots.
That a good point, and I loved using the bowgun in MH despite that handicap. Very indicative that TERA's combat would be, for my tastes, much better suited to a game of that style than an MMO with quests and an overworld.
I did wish GW2 committed one way or another when it came to action-based combat though. Trying to solo a champion is nothing like trying to solo a BAM. A lot of things are unavoidable unless you roll and even though big attacks have tells, you can't avoid every single attack thrown your way since there's tracking on a lot of moves (you can out-curve somethings but you have to be in the right time and place).
Although I should say, there are a lot of ways to avoid attacks besides dodging, at least (or especially) with the three classes I've spent considerable time with. If trying to solo a champion, you'll want to employ them all, and it very much feels like an action game doing so (playing with a controller, anyway).

Anno

Ecto's already spiking. Glad I bought a chunk of them a couple days ago. Figured at least something would be done; what's in the game is kinda dumb.

If you dislike the game and the community so much, why do you persistently hang out in the game's community thread?

To see what garbage you guys are saying about other people, such as my disliking of the game. I've never claimed to dislike it, I play it, and I enjoy it and there are bits that I think are poorly designed and executed, which I'm not afraid to post about (such as WvW, sPVP and general class design/'balance').

I don't however waste my time claiming anyone who doesn't like the game is 'conditioned', or hide away in here and call out posters who'll never see that they're being called out. This whole thread is like a cult and it is fascinating! :)

Katoki

I don't however waste my time claiming anyone who doesn't like the game is 'conditioned', or hide away in here and call out posters who'll never see that they're being called out. This whole thread is like a cult and it is fascinating! :)

All games have their own cults.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
one for each ear! :p

edit: Though it's probably more effective to get those with guild commendations, have you been saving yours?

one for each ear! :p

edit: Though it's probably more effective to get those with guild commendations, have you been saving yours?

But can you place something else in either slot like a ring? Which would be a cheaper alternative. If not, means I need 100...rats.

I've been saving all my ectos but I don't have guild commendations as my guild is too tiny to participate in guild events :( It's neat being in a guild with friends but honestly, we don't really utilize guild stuff so I might as well join a larger guild to try out guild events. I really want to do the bounty quests. What's the deal with being on different servers again? How would that impact me participating with you guys on guild events? I mean, I know I can guest but how does that impact the rewards and such?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Guesting is just fine to get your personal guild rewards if you attend an event. Sorry, I thought that you were in the guild, I keep forgetting! :(

Rings get their own slots, so it's

2 rings
2 earrings/accessories (they might not be called earrings is all)
1 amulet
1 backpiece

Lunar15

I will say that there is some groupthink and overforgiveness of the game's failings in this thread. But it's never really been malicious or nearly to the extent of what I've seen in other threads.

I think that's kind of the nature of a community thread. Not that this makes it forgivable, however. And I think that attitude gets ratcheted up when someone comes in with a troll-esque aim of stirring up the group. So of course, all that person is going to see is a bunch of people defending the game. However, one thing I don't like is when people will make statements about a game that they have not played. If you've played WoW and TERA enough to have a decent comparison, then sure, share your insight. But if you've never touched either, don't go around talking about how much better GW2 is than those.

I will still state that it's funny that the seemingly negative thread on the main forum has actually increased the number of people playing GW2, and the response has been generally positive.

Jira

Posting a poll to get feedback on a game issue that I've seen people talk about from time to time that I can't quite understand how it happens through natural play. The issue is some people say that they'll often accidentally target something than what they originally intended or de-select their current target by using the right mouse button while moving the camera. Quite honestly I don't even see how people are managing to do this but I'd like to get a show of hands if this is affecting you or not.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FFWVZCW

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm torn on it, but I think it'll work out for the best. If nothing else it should lessen the masses at the events in the short-term.

Jira

Here's what I see happening with the upcoming chest change.

- Less people mobbing every event which leads to
- Lower latency issues
- Less culling issues
- An overall more enjoyable experience with the fights
- People will spread out to more events rather than doing the same 5 across different characters
- You'll be more likely to do other things rather than chest hopping the entire day
- Spike in Ecto prices (already happening)
- Spike in Rare prices

Guesting is just fine to get your personal guild rewards if you attend an event. Sorry, I thought that you were in the guild, I keep forgetting! :(

Rings get their own slots, so it's

2 rings
2 earrings/accessories (they might not be called earrings is all)
1 amulet
1 backpiece

Ah, so there's no way around it, have to get two earrings. Should have bought some ecto while I had the chance haha Oh well, something to work towards. Ecto is the only saving grace when you get hosed with map clear rewards like last night when I cleared Malchor's with my Mez and can't use either item haha

So I join you guys, I can get full commendations? There's no draw back or limitation at all?

Retro

My wife changed my desktop while I was in the other room...

desktop4pzwp.jpg

You forgot

-Complaining on the official forums

You say that like the official forums ever stop complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom