• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Something is turning me off in this game and I don't know. I have tried three professions so far.

Could it be the character movement? It's kind of janky.

Also, they talk up a lot about how they got rid of the trinity, but I'm unsure that any of them (or their fans) ever stopped to think whether or not that was actually a good idea.

Having played 50 levels on one characters and dozens more on others, I've come to the conclusion that the PvE in this game is kind of shit. Beautiful areas and music, but just not a whole lot of fun.

As someone who's not particularly interested in PvP as a competitive sport, I feel that the game really isn't for me.

Absinthe

I use Bandicam for screenshots. It can save to PNG or high res JPG. Still doesn't capture all lighting and environment effects, but is much better than the ingame screenshot tool.

You can get full uncompressed BMP's from the in game screenshot tool by putting -bmp in the launcher shortcut.

birdchili

salvage is pretty annoying... it's not at-all obvious what can or can't be salvaged. clicking on something that can't drops you out of "salvage mode". they need to put some sort of indicator of "salvagability" in the interface (perhaps when you "hover over" with the salvage kit).

birdchili

Having played 50 levels on one characters and dozens more on others, I've come to the conclusion that the PvE in this game is kind of shit. Beautiful areas and music, but just not a whole lot of fun.

"hey look! a field with monsters interspaced at regular intervals!"

i'm still having quite a bit of fun just pushing as deep into the wilderness as i can, getting in over my head looking for waypoints and skill points. i'm not sure the game is going to have a lot of longevity yet though...

Ashodin

Could it be the character movement? It's kind of janky.

Also, they talk up a lot about how they got rid of the trinity, but I'm unsure that any of them (or their fans) ever stopped to think whether or not that was actually a good idea.

As someone who's not particularly interested in PvP as a competitive sport, I feel that the game really isn't for me.

I understand your feelings man. It can be a lot of effort to switch off of a trinity based mentality to this game, where it looks random and chaotic at first. Strategy and intermixing combo abilities and keeping boons up (buffs) are the name of the game. There's a reason there's only like 10 boons in the game. Each one is powerful in their own right. Plus the combat is exactly the way they said it would be back in the day - people are rolling in and out of melee if they're hurt, slowing down enemies and rooting them works... CC really matters hardcore in this game.

Deitus

salvage is pretty annoying... it's not at-all obvious what can or can't be salvaged. clicking on something that can't drops you out of "salvage mode". they need to put some sort of indicator of "salvagability" in the interface (perhaps when you "hover over" with the salvage kit).

There is. When you hover over an item with a salvage kit, it will be highlighted in red if it can't be salvaged.

birdchili

Plus the combat is exactly the way they said it would be back in the day - people are rolling in and out of melee if they're hurt, slowing down enemies and rooting them works... CC really matters hardcore in this game.

The combat is what's still keeping me playing. At level 33 or so I'm still playing with different weapon combinations and have barely started mucking seriously with gear.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I understand your feelings man. It can be a lot of effort to switch off of a trinity based mentality to this game, where it looks random and chaotic at first. Strategy and intermixing combo abilities and keeping boons up (buffs) are the name of the game. There's a reason there's only like 10 boons in the game. Each one is powerful in their own right. Plus the combat is exactly the way they said it would be back in the day - people are rolling in and out of melee if they're hurt, slowing down enemies and rooting them works... CC really matters hardcore in this game.

Maybe it does, but I feel like it's just not a good or reliable system. Could it be the latency involved with such a game? Lack of player understanding? I don't know, but I've done the first two dungeons a few times now with different groups and they've honestly just been a bit frustrating.

Also, I don't find anything appealing about juggling buffs, debuffs, and CC abilities that expire in like 3-5 seconds each and all have relatively long cooldowns. That kind of stuff is fine in PvP where fights are often short and frantic, but when you have PvE encounters that tend to last much longer, that kind of stuff is just annoying to keep track of.

Achtius

Mesmer finally level 35. can join AC dungeon with him.

I think I am going to make my mesmer pve only... I still can't figure out how to pvp with mesmer. Watching wind of chaos bounce between target doesnt' seems too effect

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Mesmer finally level 35. can join AC dungeon with him.

I think I am going to make my mesmer pve only... I still can't figure out how to pvp with mesmer. Watching wind of chaos bounce between target doesnt' seems too effect

I thought Mesmer was a better PvP class than PvE. I'm basing this purely on the fact that my low level Mesmer killed things so slowly in PvE and couldn't handle more than two mobs at a time.

Achtius

Just because mesmers are good at pvp doesn't mean I am good with mesmer in pvp ;p

maybe when I finally understand their mechanics but certainty not today.

Achtius

I don't find it interesting. It's not rewarding to cap everything versus an MIA army.

It's that time again

blackorblue-1.png

Which color scheme looks the best?

first one right?

So what do you do with Trophies such as "Cogs" etc. they just take up inventory space right now and i feel the urge to simply destroy em :(
Anything that's listed as a trophy (I think it's grey text) can be sold at any vendor. There's even a "Sell Junk" button at the bottom of the selling screen that will automatically sell all of your trophy/trash items.

Achtius

First one is the winner, however I'd like to see it with either black boots or blue pants. Also, what headpiece is that? I think I want it.

hall of monument. I want a bit of black to match the staff...but it's good to know I dont' need to waste money on abyss dye.lol

Boogdud

I think if you try to look at the game as a large adventure game with multiple people, rather than a raiding 'lifestyle' based mmo it changes your outlook quite a bit.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think if you try to look at the game as a large adventure game with multiple people, rather than a raiding 'lifestyle' based mmo it changes your outlook quite a bit.

The problem is that the game presents itself very similarly to a typical MMORPG.

Maybe if they populated the world with more interesting encounters, and made each one more meaningful, it would feel that way. As it is, with all of the heart quests and such, the world is very much set up like a post-WoW grindy MMORPG.

Honestly, it feels to me like they should have just went all the way and eliminated levels completely. Let the entire world be open to all players right from the start. Get rid of those "grind four levels until you can do your next story instance" periods. Give more meat to the individual encounters and make it so all of them can reward you with a skill point. That would be the progression.

It wouldn't take as long for players to make their way through the game, but making players grind for weeks doesn't seem to be their intent, at least on the surface. It feels to me like levels just don't match their vision of the game and were thrown in as a compromise to give players something to work towards.

birdchili

Honestly, it feels to me like they should have just went all the way and eliminated levels completely. Let the entire world be open to all players right from the start. Get rid of those "grind four levels until you can do your next story instance" periods. Give more meat to the individual encounters and make it so all of them can reward you with a skill point. That would be the progression.

I was definitely expecting more interesting encounters. Even the story stuff (so-far) is decidedly bland in terms of setup and combat environment. The exploring feels so very "gamey" with its standard interspersed mobs and insane respawn rate (mobs will spawn right on top of you within seconds of clearing an area sometimes).

Not enough thought went into the PvE world setup. It's a very pretty place, but mob placement and AI make it feel sterile anyway. It's a shame since I enjoy the combat quite a bit...

The problem is that the game presents itself very similarly to a typical MMORPG.

Maybe if they populated the world with more interesting encounters, and made each one more meaningful, it would feel that way. As it is, with all of the heart quests and such, the world is very much set up like a post-WoW grindy MMORPG.

It wouldn't take as long for players to make their way through the game, but making players grind for weeks doesn't seem to be their intent, at least on the surface. It feels to me like levels just don't match their vision of the game and were thrown in as a compromise to give players something to work towards.

If I remember correctly they did take out levels, but people needed that sense of going up a scale. I don't think I would have cared either way. I would have hated to have every skill unlocked at once and choosing traits so I see how they "kind of" need levels. But that could have been story progression set.

I guess I'm just playing it differently than the people who seem to already be "bored" or "done" with it. Been taking my time. At first I wanted to grind as fast as I could to 80 but there's nothing there except WvW which I can already play. So instead I play WvW while enjoying the sights.

Some things do seem a little grindy but that's needed in almost ANY game. You have to have something you work towards in a game like this (or any game for that matter).

putarorex

The lag is getting worse for me as time goes by. I was surprised during the BWEs and the first few weeks after launch at how smooth things were playing from Japan, but now WvW is just unplayable. It is multiple seconds before my actions are recognized with tons of rubberbanding. PVE is better but the lag is still noticeable. I've checked the forums and it seems other people playing from abroad are having similar problems.

Oh boy:

"Here is what I propose, some of them like the first solution is going to be unpopular but think of it as “for the greater good”.

Create 3 oceanic servers and require all oceanic players to play on those servers. Of course this is dependent on the implementation of guesting and influence transfer."

etiolate

Banned
The WvWvW problem is that it's not meant to be balanced or competitive, yet is treated as such. If it is meant to be balanced and competitive then it needs changes.

The problems could lead to NA servers recruiting and stealing from other regions, such as European servers. I don't think ANet wants that to happen, and if they plan to further expand into Asia and have Asian servers, then that will rearrange server coverage some more. If real battles are made inconsequential via zergs vs empty keeps then participation will dwindle from both the winners and losers.

Also, saying it was worse in DaoC isn't exactly a good argument.

Ken

What happened?

Patch notes say chests contain new items like Permanent Black Lion Trader and Mystic Forge Conduits.

Everyone in the GAF guild got told to buy a bunch. Everyone buying chests caused the prices to go from around 4 copper all the way 99 copper.

Promise of greater riches prompted some to hold on to their chests; a few of us sold high at 99c while they were selling at that price for a few seconds before plummeting.

leng jai

I thought Mesmer was a better PvP class than PvE. I'm basing this purely on the fact that my low level Mesmer killed things so slowly in PvE and couldn't handle more than two mobs at a time.

What weapons are you using? Staff + sword/focus is incredible for PvE IMO. Stack some conditions up with Chaos Storm and the autoattack and things just die.

Ken

How do people make money off Cursed Shore DE? I'm guessing rare drops and not from the DE rewards themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom