• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys Im thinking about gettin GW2!

Ive never really played MMORPG's before as they were not my kinda thing (I think I tried wow back in the day because of the hype) but with all the great reviews this was getting I was thinking of giving it a try.

But what I mainly want ot know is just how populated is the world with other players?
We are the same, I rolled a wow character (hunter) for a month 2 years ago, almost died of boredom, to me it played like a terribly grindy wrpg with terrible graphics and some people running around.

I'm in the human area and switched servers back and forth then settled to gaf's, all of them are well populated. Never did a quest alone yet. Here is a recent boss fight in a european server: http://www.abload.de/img/gw22012-09-2515-44-21z3s1q.png

I think new mmorpg players will appereciate GW2 even more, personally I just don't relate to some of the complaints in this thread - gear/end-game - the content is so overwhelming for me right now. And even though I love the game, I doubt I will reach lvl 80 soon, if ever.

I'm taking it slow (2-3h a day) and enjoying how it looks with sweetfx injector @ 1600p ultra + supersampled.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
It could use some good ol' GvG lovin, though. 5v5 sPvP isn't much better than TA or RA.

THIS VERY MUCH.

This is maybe the singularlar biggest ommision from the game as it is.

Include this, more WvW bells and whistles and maybe a double handed axe and I'll be one super dooper happy camper!

Hey guys Im thinking about gettin GW2!

Ive never really played MMORPG's before as they were not my kinda thing (I think I tried wow back in the day because of the hype) but with all the great reviews this was getting I was thinking of giving it a try.

I think because im watching the anime Sword Art Online has something to do with it too lol.

But what I mainly want ot know is just how populated is the world with other players?

I allways like playing with lots of players and like with Battlefield 3 only play on the 64player servers.

Im guessing WoW is the most populatred? But how does this compare?

If you didnt care for WoW's PvE you probably wont get a lot of fun out of GW2s PvE. Of course, you can jump into WvW or PvP pretty much immediately so there's that. But PvE wise it really is nothing special, and im already burned out on it after level 20 (of the 80).

So yeah, if you dont care for PvP, im not sure if spending money on this game would be wise.

Sophia

If you didnt care for WoW's PvE you probably wont get a lot of fun out of GW2s PvE. Of course, you can jump into WvW or PvP pretty much immediately so there's that. But PvE wise it really is nothing special, and im already burned out on it after level 20 (of the 80).

So yeah, if you dont care for PvP, im not sure if spending money on this game would be wise.

This isn't true at all, WoW's PvE is almost nothing like GW2's PvE. Infact, given his mention of Sword Art Online, GW2 would probably be right up his alley given the more Actiony RPG roots it has.

Sophia

For what it's worth, I don't think most of the events are that bad at all. They're a step up above virtually every other MMO in terms of uniqueness. It's mainly just the Heart Tasks that are a bit bland.

Sophia

Meh, I'm willing to forgive the hearts for now, partially because they're designed to ease players of other MMOs in, and partially because the rest of the PvE game holds up so well. Being able to explore, freely choose what I participate in, and pick the level of difficulty when leveling up to some degree is just fantastic.

For what it's worth, I don't think most of the events are that bad at all. They're a step up above virtually every other MMO in terms of uniqueness. It's mainly just the Heart Tasks that are a bit bland.
I find that I rarely go out of my way to do the the hearts; an event spawns, I go for it and a lot of the time it contains the objective of the nearby heart (killing centaurs for instance).

Lyng

I love the combat and the exploring. Also the flat leveling curve is awsome.
If their is one thing I dont like though its the story. It really isnt very original.
Then again we got spoiled by bioware in that aspect.

More and better story quests and less boring hearts would be a warm welcome.

etiolate

Banned
I'm a PVP player and I've played the PVE mostly. It captures the open world adventurer feel quite well. I'm always looking for the next cave, even if there's no event or heart currently tied to it. The combat being fun helps a lot.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Well Renown Hearts at least manage to shake things up.

With that said, if you do start as human, then yeah you'll be given that impression. Humans have shitty renown hearts.

Level 400 Armorsmith, I would say it cost me about 2 gold to max out, few times i needed to buy mats like Fangs and Claws, completed my exotic set, on to WeaponSmithing...

I really prefer what GW2 does over WoW. Not having the hub structure makes it a lot easier to just level however you want, instead of following a strict structure. If something isn't fun (and that's the big caveat with this game, it has its share of shitty content), don't do it. You don't need it to get to the next thing. You're free to move on.

Maybe if some of us went back and played a quest hub structured game again we'd have a better grasp on how much more freeing this structure is.

If only they'd come up with more good ideas for the heart quests and events... The obvious focus on solving MMO problems seems to have negatively manifested in that they didn't take enough inspiration from other genres.
The quest system, which is a step up from WoW in how it masks that you are essentially still doing the same grind, is an improvement, yes.

The actual combat, however, really isnt that much different from WoW and i find it really disappointing, especially compared to some of the singleplayer games out there (which i realize is an unfair comparison, but still). I think its mostly due to the skills being, well, boring. There is no skill which makes me go 'fuck yeah!', its just all so underwhelming.

Ken

Level 400 Armorsmith, I would say it cost me about 2 gold to max out, few times i needed to buy mats like Fangs and Claws, completed my exotic set, on to WeaponSmithing...

2 gold only? Tell me your secret.

Actually never mind; both my soldier classes are already in exotics. >.>

I'd be interested in learning the secrets of 400 tailoring though.

Ferga

2 gold only? Tell me your secret.

Actually never mind; both my soldier classes are already in exotics. >.>

I'd be interested in learning the secrets of 400 tailoring though.

My plan to get 400 in tailoring: Kill everything i run into and salvage all the stuff that'll give me tailoring mats.

I'm on like 250 and it's driving me nuts lol. Might have to start buying some mats soon

My plan to get 400 in tailoring: Kill everything i run into and salvage all the stuff that'll give me tailoring mats.

I'm on like 250 and it's driving me nuts lol. Might have to start buying some mats soon

Higher levels will make you purchase, I breeze through 0-225 then I had to purchase stuff, I am using this Site gives you a shopping list for each crafting profession, so you can get all the mats together before starting...

Des0lar

will learn eventually
The only reason I entered this thread was because of the changed thread title.

Thank you Techno, you delivered.

What should I be spending my gold / karma on at lvl 35? I upgrade my equipment every couple of lvls at the trading post and I've been able to get solid gear for cheap so far so my bank roll has been steadily increasing. I think I'm at a 1 g 50 silver or so (which probably is peanuts but still) Any suggestions?

What should I be spending my gold / karma on at lvl 35? I upgrade my equipment every couple of lvls at the trading post and I've been able to get solid gear for cheap so far so my bank roll has been steadily increasing. I think I'm at a 1 g 50 silver or so (which probably is peanuts but still) Any suggestions?

I don't know if you know this, but there is a karma vendor in one of the Lion's Arch puzzles that sells rare weapons for about...9k karma each.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/First_Mate_Shane

That or simply grab the karma equipment off the heart events you've been doing. They are generally really good until the next area you are in.

Fishious

Well 1 gold should probably go toward your level 40 trait training manual. As for the rest it really depends on what you want. Are your jewelry/accessories up to date? Do you have runes/sigils on all your armor/weps? If not maybe consider buying some. If you do crafting you can buy crafting mats. If there's something you want on the black lion store you can convert it to gems. If nothing strikes your fancy there's nothing wrong with saving your money.

Hojaho

got to 400. Had to buy some linen/silk at some points, and some fine materials like large bones to make my level 80 rare set (to get to 400).
Getting main material from salvaging or bags is a pain. :(

Well 1 gold should probably go toward your level 40 trait training manual. As for the rest it really depends on what you want. Are your jewelry/accessories up to date? Do you have runes/sigils on all your armor/weps? If not maybe consider buying some. If you do crafting you can buy crafting mats. If there's something you want on the black lion store you can convert it to gems. If nothing strikes your fancy there's nothing wrong with saving your money.

Forgot about the manual, thats a good call. I updated all my accessories and sigils last night. I've done some crafting but I'm still relatively low level on that front. Thanks.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Hmmm, decisions, decisions.

DfELy.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Finally got a level 80 engie but I can't find a heal/power/condition damage gear.

Now time to 100% the map.

trying to decide on my first alt character here... what is more fun to level, an engineer or a thief? I keep seeing those engies and their turret management, it looks like a blast but still not sure.

Ricker

Finally got a level 80 engie but I can't find a heal/power/condition damage gear.

Good luck with that...there are still a lot of bugged,glitched events,even some hearts don't work and some of the vistas,like in Tribulation Rift are almost impossible to do because some the area's(PvE) are starting to be deserted already...

"Finally got a level 80 engie but I can't find a heal/power/condition damage gear."

There isn't any. There may be some one-off fine/masterwork items from a karma vendor somewhere, unlikely.

docbon

As a thief player, this video makes me very happy. I might have to go glass cannon now.

Tried it out a bit with my baby thief character. The timing is a bit tough at first, but I figure I'll get used to it. You don't -have- to blow all your utility skills at once, and you have 45 seconds to get in position to backstab after you apply your elite (which only has a 45 sec cooldown). Of course, you get melted with one misstep 8)

Bust Nak

The loading screen for Kessex Hill, is that actually in the game? I was looking forward to the "The Pillars of the Kings" moment but I've 100% that map and can't find it.

Also, how do you deal with mesmers? What should I be looking for to find the non-clone?

I just started diving into the Orr areas more seriously last night, and I'm really enjoying them. The lack of renown hearts is a refreshing change of pace, and the increased difficulty makes spontaneous grouping a lot more valuable, so there's a cool sense of camaraderie that's missing in a lot of earlier zones. The dynamic events system just seems to work better here, too -- I had a few fun moments taking on some group events with just one or two other players, which was a real challenge and really satisfying to complete.

And it's definitely nice to find some actual good loot as drops and map completion prizes.

See, I think they should just nerf the fuck out of story-mode dungeons. You're not there for anything other than the experience of being there (and maybe to unlock explorable mode), and everybody who's showing up there are almost guaranteed to be doing it for the first time, hence no practice or prior experience.

Every story mode PUG I've been in has been steamrolled multiple times, in addition to suffering from the insanely schizophrenic difficulty bumps (that's objectively bad game design). I have yet to run into someone I've pugged with who thinks dungeons are a blast to play through. That's bad. That's very, very bad.

Sure, leave explorable as something only coordinated groups running mumble/vent/teamspeak can go through. But at least story mode shouldn't be a frustrating, teeth-grinding, nail-chewing experience for groups that aren't so coordinated.

Yeah, I would be okay with this. Or at least heavily nerf AC story-mode so it eases players in a bit better. I did CM and TA story-mode with fairly uncoordinated groups and they went smoothly, but AC took us several tries with a couple different groups.

Ok i am only level 21 so no dungeons yet, but when you guys are talking about "Story dungeons" do you mean there will actually be story related dungeons or do you simply mean your regular old story quests (which are getting hard too sometimes)?

I always thought you'd simply unlock regular dungeons at lvl 30 independent of story!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ok i am only level 21 so no dungeons yet, but when you guys are talking about "Story dungeons" do you mean there will actually be story related dungeons or do you simply mean your regular old story quests (which are getting hard too sometimes)?

I always thought you'd simply unlock regular dungeons at lvl 30 independent of story!
Each dungeon offers a story mode first which follows the story of Destiny's Edge, which runs in parallel to your personal story. After completing a dungeon in Story mode, Explorable mode is unlocked which lets you rerun the dungeon in 3 seperate paths for tokens that you can redeem for unique weapons and armor.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

Better transfer to a very good WvW server (HoD works but you're going to have to bounce around to get everything) if you want to get those keeps and garrisons that seemingly never change hands.

I'd say if anyone has any intention of 100%ing the map, do WvW now and transfer as you need. Before server transfers stop being free.

Each dungeon offers a story mode first which follows the story of Destiny's Edge, which runs in parallel to your personal story. After completing a dungeon in Story mode, Explorable mode is unlocked which lets you rerun the dungeon in 3 seperate paths for tokens that you can redeem for unique weapons and armor.

Gotcha.. and i assume that in order to even beat it in Story mode you need to have a group of at least 5 people or what?

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I love the hell out of Cooking now. I'm only very early in the game so far as I took a long time off between launch and now. Really enjoy the part of Cooking where you run around the world finding the different ingredients then using those for discoveries. Feels so rewarding. Gathering has that addictive quality like in WoW where you see the marker on your mini map and take a huge detour just to grab it. Feels awesome when you come across large clusters. And those discoveries add a much needed element to the mmo crafting system.

I loved the game in beta (20 hrs in 2 days) but fell out of love a bit at launch due to being more interested in other stuff. Starting to feel the addiction now when I'm playing it. The game works great when you just slow down and explore and be apart of the world. The music, while I wish there was more, fits the scene perfectly imo.
I can never get over how much detail is in some of the areas and how imaginative some of those areas are. Just little things too. This one area in the norn starter where you swim into a little cave to fight a shaman (you don't even realise it's there), another area where after you kill a huge worm you can then go down into the hole he come from. Little things like that help draw you in. Everything feels like it belongs. Way better than the pre-fab/copy paste stuff in WoW.

I also love the challenge the game offers but at times going back into a very early zone can be jarring when you're struggling after how strong you should have been.

A little disappointed I have the same looking gear that I started with and I haven't seen much non-combat gear which for me was a big draw.

I think I've played around 27 hrs and I'm lvl 26 and only finished 2 zones...
I've only seen about 5 zones so can't wait to see what else the game offers.

The loading screen for Kessex Hill, is that actually in the game? I was looking forward to the "The Pillars of the Kings" moment but I've 100% that map and can't find it.

Also, how do you deal with mesmers? What should I be looking for to find the non-clone?

Aww, I hope they're in the game. After seeing the load screen the first time I couldn't help but think how amazing it'd look in game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
On still-borked dungeon rewards:
Jon Peters said:
I just wanted to update everyone on where we stand with this. So far we have found a single bug with the system that is causing certain players to get stuck in a state of reduced rewards without actually exploiting. A fix for this has already been made and is being tested locally now. We are going to do more significant testing on this new version but we also believe it is more bulletproof to begin with. Please keep posting data as these cases are somewhat rare and are hard for us to find with internal testing but seem to be exposed quickly when thousands of people are playing the dungeons.
neat, hope it's pushed out soon!

Kingbrave

With some creativity and different dyes, you CAN look good on a lower-than-max level. My lvl67 Guardian with some drops from normal mobs/Shatterer/Tequatl and some story quest-gear:

Fuck I like that. I need to hurry up with all these damn doc appts and level some more

Nista

Better transfer to a very good WvW server (HoD works but you're going to have to bounce around to get everything) if you want to get those keeps and garrisons that seemingly never change hands.

I'd say if anyone has any intention of 100%ing the map, do WvW now and transfer as you need. Before server transfers stop being free.

Yeah I'm stuck at 99% right now cause the server I'm on (Tarnished Coast) doesn't seem to take over the enemy keeps in the last two Borderlands. Maybe I need to log in at 4 am or something. I'd rather do it without transferring to HoD since I'm sure there's long queues there.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
On still-borked dungeon rewards:

neat, hope it's pushed out soon!

I'm continually impressed with their response time to bugs and changes. I really wish Blizzard was this prompt with bug fixes and balancing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom