• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

How do people make money off Cursed Shore DE? I'm guessing rare drops and not from the DE rewards themselves?

Yeah. Since the zerg is so large you can put super MF gear on and just try to tag everything and go to town on drops.

Plus the game doesn't penalize you for just resetting your DR by logging on and off.

I do believe there should be some major changes to WvWvW and not just because of population issues.

I think they need to add more spots where the three servers can compete for the DE for big time payoffs. It would provide incentives to those who don't like big zerg sieges (or sieges in general) to have to deal with fighting against two enemies - the game and the players.

Piecake

How do people make money off Cursed Shore DE? I'm guessing rare drops and not from the DE rewards themselves?

I make it off vendoring and salvaging all of the other crap you get. I dont think ive gotten a rare drop just killing a mob in the world, but you get a ton of loot in the Cursed shore and that really adds up

No super MF set for me yet :(

Ken

Got 15 tokens from CoE explorable despite not running it for 2 days. Also, new tokens don't stack with old tokens in inventory. :\ Fix dis pls anet.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
The WvWvW problem is that it's not meant to be balanced or competitive, yet is treated as such. If it is meant to be balanced and competitive then it needs changes.

Exactly. ArenaNet said from the start that it's not meant to be balanced. Balanced PVP goes to sPVP. Now, WvW is certainly meant to be competitive between servers, but balance isn't an issue. This is why I can't propose anything for ANet to make it so that SBI has a harder time because the very concept of WvW isn't meant to be balanced.

Although, that does bring up an interesting proposition for those that want it to be - what if there were two modes of WvW - one designed for balance and the other not? That could take the strain off of queues. That's most likely an unrealistic proposition but if ANet could get it to work...

Have some more screenies.

You can never have too much eye-candy! It soothes the soul.
Screenshot297160.png

Screenshot313264.png

Screenshot348259.png

Piecake

Yea, tokens are bugged right now. I got 30 tokens in my CoE run (taking a nap, huh, hawkian?!?)

It was a great group, but man, not getting the full 60 kinda soured it a bit

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Maybe it does, but I feel like it's just not a good or reliable system. Could it be the latency involved with such a game? Lack of player understanding? I don't know, but I've done the first two dungeons a few times now with different groups and they've honestly just been a bit frustrating.

Also, I don't find anything appealing about juggling buffs, debuffs, and CC abilities that expire in like 3-5 seconds each and all have relatively long cooldowns. That kind of stuff is fine in PvP where fights are often short and frantic, but when you have PvE encounters that tend to last much longer, that kind of stuff is just annoying to keep track of.

Having run plenty of dungeons at this point, I have to say that you have to find the right group. With the right group, dungeons really are smooth affairs. They're not facerolls by any means (nor should they be), but they're far from frustrating.

Right now, I still think dungeons are way hard for an uncoordinated, uncommunicative group, and I don't know if they should change that. The teamwork involved in doing dungeons right now is a pretty enriching experience, and adds a lot to successful runs.

Runs tend not to be chaotic once you have the right group, and you get a better sense of your role in the group as you play more and more. Fights are just as reliable as a well oiled WoW boss fight, and there's very little left to chance once you understand your role and the encounter itself.

Mind you, if you're not feeling the game, then that's fine. I'm just offering my thoughts after doing several dungeons (all story except Arah, and more than a few explorables).

My main problem with wvwvw is that when server populations are vastly different, it gets kind of boring for most folks. The server with the larger population has to play whack-a-mole or spawn camp while the underdog server plays hide and seek with the bigger population if they can even get out of the gate.

That might work for some, but others want to be able to have more stand-up fights in pvp. You could have players in the under-dog server get a buff to help them against overwhelming odds (maybe have it scale depending on how many friendlies vs enemies there are in the nearby area and only if the population balance is heavily skewed). Another idea would be to bring in mercenary NPCs to somewhat fill in for missing players.

Having run plenty of dungeons at this point, I have to say that you have to find the right group. With the right group, dungeons really are smooth affairs. They're not facerolls by any means (nor should they be), but they're far from frustrating.

Right now, I still think dungeons are way hard for an uncoordinated, uncommunicative group, and I don't know if they should change that. The teamwork involved in doing dungeons right now is a pretty enriching experience, and adds a lot to successful runs.
See, I think they should just nerf the fuck out of story-mode dungeons. You're not there for anything other than the experience of being there (and maybe to unlock explorable mode), and everybody who's showing up there are almost guaranteed to be doing it for the first time, hence no practice or prior experience.

Every story mode PUG I've been in has been steamrolled multiple times, in addition to suffering from the insanely schizophrenic difficulty bumps (that's objectively bad game design). I have yet to run into someone I've pugged with who thinks dungeons are a blast to play through. That's bad. That's very, very bad.

Sure, leave explorable as something only coordinated groups running mumble/vent/teamspeak can go through. But at least story mode shouldn't be a frustrating, teeth-grinding, nail-chewing experience for groups that aren't so coordinated.

Piecake

weird I got 60 for AC explorable both today (before 8est) and today (after 8est)

7 more runs of AC and i can stop doing it forever (or at least until I decide to get Ghastly weapon for my alt)

Oh, some people in our group got 60, its just that Ken got 15 and I got 30. And going off of reddit, apparently if you get 60 once, you could get 30 or 15 another time. It seems really random

etiolate

Banned
Exactly. ArenaNet said from the start that it's not meant to be balanced. Balanced PVP goes to sPVP. Now, WvW is certainly meant to be competitive between servers, but balance isn't an issue. This is why I can't propose anything for ANet to make it so that SBI has a harder time because the very concept of WvW isn't meant to be balanced.

Although, that does bring up an interesting proposition for those that want it to be - what if there were two modes of WvW - one designed for balance and the other not? That could take the strain off of queues. That's most likely an unrealistic proposition but if ANet could get it to work...

For certain matchups, it's not even competitive.

I think they should just remove score/points, make a garrison here or there permanently belong to a server, and just let it be competitive fun.

Hi all, I'm back from a 15-day holiday, so I hope you will forgive me if the content of this post relates to events that happened over a week past. Namely, the creation of this thread.

Frankly, I'm appaled at how it all has been handled. Tekno, I always try to think the best of people, and never to assume malice or ill will, but I simpy can't do it in this case. You knew full well this would be a slap in the face of Jira, tachiSama, Retro and Maxrpg. I can't really assume good will after you ended the previous thread with the statement "No guarantees the title will be troll-free.". You took many hours of work and willingly and knowingly made it so that they were for nothing.

I don't buy into the "no harm done, the thread is still there" argument by other posters. The entire reason threads are capped is so that older ones can fall off the board's database. When the OT1 falls off the board, the OT2 will simply have a dead link in its OP. Even disregarding that, people are MUCH less likely to click on that link than to simply read what's in front of them.

What I'm most disgusted at, however, is the "who cares lol" attitude of many other posters in this thread, or even putting blame on Jira for calling this out. I would frankly be more than a little angry if someone who knew full well that I worked for hours on something made an attempt for all of it to go down the drain, for no discernible reason whatsoever other than to piss me and other three guys off.

If anyone else can construe this as anything else than trolling (more so when it has been explicitly admitted beforehand), well, my hat is off to such capacity for self-delusion. I already see that this has finally (and unsurprisingly) driven off several (although not all) regular contributors of past threads. Unfortunately, I'm done here as well; you'll find me at the GAFGuild forums.

Hi all, I'm back from a 15-day holiday, so I hope you will forgive me if the content of this post relates to events that happened over a week past. Namely, the creation of this thread.

Frankly, I'm appaled at how it all has been handled. Tekno, I always try to think the best of people, and never to assume malice or ill will, but I simpy can't do it in this case. You knew full well this would be a slap in the face of Jira, tachiSama, Retro and Maxrpg. I can't really assume good will after you ended the previous thread with the statement "No guarantees the title will be troll-free.". You took many hours of work and willingly and knowingly made it so that they were for nothing.

I don't buy into the "no harm done, the thread is still there" argument by other posters. The entire reason threads are capped is so that older ones can fall off the board's database. When the OT1 falls off the board, the OT2 will simply have a dead link in its OP. Even disregarding that, people are MUCH less likely to click on that link than to simply read what's in front of them.

What I'm most disgusted at, however, is the "who cares lol" attitude of many other posters in this thread, or even putting blame on Jira for calling this out. I would frankly be more than a little angry if someone who knew full well that I worked for hours on something made an attempt for all of it to go down the drain, for no discernible reason whatsoever other than to piss me and other three guys off.

If anyone else can construe this as anything else than trolling (more so when it has been explicitly admitted beforehand), well, my hat is off to such capacity for self-delusion. I already see that this has finally (and unsurprisingly) driven off several (although not all) regular contributors of past threads. Unfortunately, I'm done here as well; you'll find me at the GAFGuild forums.

What a babby post. I think you may be blowing this way out of proportion.

Neki

Making new threads are serious business in guild wars land. Teknopathetic, for shame. You should have known a troll title would cause people to boycott the thread, and you should have known someone would have got upset over you not copy pasting the original OT. I don't know what skills they have in Guild Wars 2 Tekno, but I know that you're mind reading skill is maxed, and you should have used it here, because it would have made everyone happier.

falastini

Thread titles get changed all the time... they mean absolutely nothing. I'm sorry if a lot of effort was put into it? But I'm not sure why you would waste you time on something so trivial. Good games get trolled. Bad games get trolled. Titles are 99% there for amusement, not to inform anybody. I'd actually prefer if we got rid of them. It would make the forum much cleaner to navigate.

Einbroch

Banned
The thread title forced me to boycott this thread.

Wait, no, it was the boring endgame.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Play Once, Sub Never, Doesn't Matter.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Runs tend not to be chaotic once you have the right group, and you get a better sense of your role in the group as you play more and more. Fights are just as reliable as a well oiled WoW boss fight, and there's very little left to chance once you understand your role and the encounter itself.

Mind you, if you're not feeling the game, then that's fine. I'm just offering my thoughts after doing several dungeons (all story except Arah, and more than a few explorables).

I don't doubt that you're wrong. I just think the hurdle may be a bit too high for me as someone who tends to play in pick-up groups. I feel like I'd have to play dozens of hours on every class to get a handle on all of them so I could make suggestions on how to play in a dungeon, because right now I don't know what the capabilities are of some of the other classes.

In trinity MMORPGs, the challenge usually lies in figuring out the encounters, not in figuring out how to play the game.

What is the plug in you are using for this again? Those screens are fucking magical, looks awesome.
It's my tweaked variant of SweetFX. I've linked it before but I've since done some further tweaking. You can download it here.

I'm also using high quality ambient occlusion forced through Nvidia Inspector, using the Skyrim bits. The performance hit for it can be pretty extreme and requires that water reflections be disabled and the render sampling be set to "native", so it's not for everyone.

dude.

dude.

It's a freaking THREAD TITLE. People freaking out over a THREAD TITLE is just a liiiiiiiiittle bit on the tomat-math-test side of things.
Did you actually read the post? It was more about the inability to copy-paste the OP than anything else. Even if it was over the character limit, it could have just been done over two posts, so I really don't think there's any excuse for excluding it.

A lot of work goes into that stuff, so I can understand the outrage...

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Making new threads are serious business in guild wars land. Teknopathetic, for shame. You should have known a troll title would cause people to boycott the thread, and you should have known someone would have got upset over you not copy pasting the original OT. I don't know what skills they have in Guild Wars 2 Tekno, but I know that you're mind reading skill is maxed, and you should have used it here, because it would have made everyone happier.

NO FUN ALLOWED THIS IS SERIOUS, OP'S HAVE NEVER BEEN AND WILL NEVER BE HUMOROUS IN ANY MANNER WHATSOEVER. see u at seriousassgamers.com, as a celebrity i dont want to leave my people in the dark so u can contact me there.

this is also true. I came into gw2 expecting to have a lot of fun, and for a few hours I did. When I hit 80, I played for maybe 2 days then never logged in again. The endgame is 100x worse than swtor (a game many loathed for it's lack of endgame content). Also expected the no-sub to equate to not much grind. Turns out the entire endgame revolves around a boring ass grind in every facet imaginable.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's my tweaked variant of SweetFX. I've linked it before but I've since done some further tweaking. You can download it here.

I'm also using high quality ambient occlusion forced through Nvidia Inspector, using the Skyrim bits. The performance hit for it can be pretty extreme and requires that water reflections be disabled and the render sampling be set to "native", so it's not for everyone.
I'd just like to fully endorse this- it improves every aspect of the graphics imo, though I could understand not enjoying the saturation if it's not your thing. I can't do the ambient occlusion on my setup without tanking, but I'd like to stress that I get a performance BOOST using SweetFX since I turn off FXAA in-game.

Did you actually read the post? It was more about the inability to copy-paste the OP than anything else. Even if it was over the character limit, it could have just been done over two posts, so I really don't think there's any excuse for excluding it.

A lot of work goes into that stuff, so I can understand the outrage...
It was unfortunate for that reason and I think it served a little as trollbait for a while; sort of an endorsement from on high. But really, it's in the past, and now we just move forward all stronger and wiser and crap :)

ACE 1991

I'd just like to fully endorse this- it improves every aspect of the graphics imo, though I could understand not enjoying the saturation if it's not your thing. I can't do the ambient occlusion on my setup without tanking, but I'd like to stress that I get a performance BOOST using SweetFX since I turn off FXAA in-game.

It was unfortunate for that reason and I think it served a little as trollbait for a while; sort of an endorsement from on high. But really, it's in the past, and now we just move forward all stronger and wiser and crap :)

I just dropped all of the SweetFX files into my guild wars 2 folder file, but now the game crashes on start up. Any ideas?

Woo-Fu

Banned

All of the game was boring for me, not just endgame. Think I've come to the conclusion that the only reason I kept playing mmo 1.0 games like this one is because of the subscription fee. "Well, I have to get my money's worth.", etc. No subscription for GW2 and coincidentally I never have the urge to play it, nor feel like I'm losing/wasting something by not playing it.

Ken

weird I got 60 for AC explorable both today (before 8est) and today (after 8est)

7 more runs of AC and i can stop doing it forever (or at least until I decide to get Ghastly weapon for my alt)

Stuff's broke, man. It's certainly killed my interest in running dungeons until it gets fixed.

I just dropped all of the SweetFX files into my guild wars 2 folder file, but now the game crashes on start up. Any ideas?
That's a toughie. Everything's in the same folder as gw2.exe, right? Including the SweetFX folder?

If so, then I'm out of ideas. The only reason I know of for it to crash at start-up is because of missing files. If it's something else, like driver issues or an AMD-specific problem, I wouldn't know where to begin.

Edit: If you have any overlays, like the Steam overlay, eVGA Precision, or, well, anything similar, that could be the problem, since it is a D3D injector.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It fails with overlays. Turn off mumble overlay if it's enabled- I had to, even though it doesn't show up in-game.

butts

I went in blind expecting this to be a lot like Guild Wars 1. Hoooly shit, not even close. Feels like a typical MMO so far :(

Is it just my nostalgia clouding my brain or is this not anything like GW1?

I went in blind expecting this to be a lot like Guild Wars 1. Hoooly shit, not even close. Feels like a typical MMO so far :(

This game is most certainly a different animal than GW1 in many ways.

Absinthe

No you're right, it is definitely not much like GW1, it's superior in almost every way.

Concept17

No you're right, it is definitely not much like GW1, it's superior in almost every way.

As someone who hasn't picked this up yet (have to resist for awhile) this is good to hear. While GW1 had its own strengths, I was never a huge fan. It always felt like a sub-par MMO with a lot of potential. The biggest draw of GW2 for me before release was the artists working at Anet. Having seen a ton of their concepts over the last few years for the game, I couldn't help but appreciate it and want to dive into the game. Add in all the changes, the races, and things like WvW, I'm hoping this wait I've got myself on will pay off.

markot

Banned
Hmmmmmm..

I think we need to produce some more mohammed videos. I noticed that while the 'hoo haa' was ocurring, we were winning in wvw. The conlusion must be most of Henge was protesting.

So, we need to get them back out on the streets so they dont end up in wvw >.>!

Its so depressing seeing the whole pie green, its like, whats the point?

Honestly, if this is how it is all the time, Henge on top with us a distant second... feh >.<

I mean they made 50k in less then 24 hours... from third to first.

Ken

Just did the "bring MF set and farm Cursed Shore" thing.

One of the most boring things I've done in the game. Never doing that again.

Hey guys Im thinking about gettin GW2!

Ive never really played MMORPG's before as they were not my kinda thing (I think I tried wow back in the day because of the hype) but with all the great reviews this was getting I was thinking of giving it a try.

I think because im watching the anime Sword Art Online has something to do with it too lol.

But what I mainly want ot know is just how populated is the world with other players?

I allways like playing with lots of players and like with Battlefield 3 only play on the 64player servers.

Im guessing WoW is the most populatred? But how does this compare?

Sophia

I wonder if GW2 will reduce in player count with Pandaren (I really hate that race) coming out?

Not likely. I've been saying before that the two games will probably co-exist because they compliment each other pretty well with GW2's lack of a monthly fee.

But what I mainly want ot know is just how populated is the world with other players?

I allways like playing with lots of players and like with Battlefield 3 only play on the 64player servers.

Im guessing WoW is the most populatred? But how does this compare?

Here's an image I took a few days ago to give you an idea. All those people with red names? Enemy players. So yeah, most events (as well as WvW) are pretty populated.

etiolate

Banned
Just did the "bring MF set and farm Cursed Shore" thing.

One of the most boring things I've done in the game. Never doing that again.

Yeah not a fan of that either.

I tried finding my way into the next zone but couldn't find an entrance. Need to get to the Orr vendors.

etiolate

Banned
When I was in Brisbain Wildlands, there was a lot less people, but I still ran into like eight or so at a broken event. It's not bad for being a level area that isn't as populated and being an area that not a lot of folks go to. Most of the people in that level range tend to go to Kessex Hills. Dredgehaunt Cliffs is a little low on people outside of events.

The 60-70ss areas seem pretty heavy right now.

Bossun

My main concern for now, as I'm not yet 80, more like 33 is all the farming I need to do to up armorsmith and weaponsmith. It takes way too long or I'm very unlucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom