• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Lyng said:
That sounds amazing!. Pretty much exactly what might bring me back into this game, and finally get me to get that first char to 80. I mainly play MMO's for dungeons and the social aspect.
Thanks for the answer Hawk :)
No problemo! I'm surprised you didn't get to 80, dungeons get a lot more enjoyable at that point IMO, since you have the full spectrum of options available to your build.
I don't want to get into hyperbole here, but has there ever been a game that attempted anything like what Guild Wars 2 is doing? I mean, the idea of having an evolving and non-permanent storyline in a game. It's almost like a TV series. I think if they tighten up the writing a little more, and maybe give us some more to chew on, it would be downright revolutionary in terms of game narrative.

It just seems so radical from anything I've ever thought of having in a game. Sure, execution is wonky sometimes, but the most recent update blew my socks off. It's kind of sad to me that the game doesn't get much mention in most gaming news outlets. I know the game isn't for everyone, but the ideas it has for what you can do with story and content in a persistent world is pretty fascinating.
Really interested to see where they go from here. They have to have learned a ton from F&F.
From what I heard on mumble last night, this game is about to blow away every other existing MMO when it comes to free content updates.
They have definitely been collecting data and qualitative feedback like nobody's business. Please keep anything you hear on mumble under your hat of course, but yes, very exciting times are coming.

I've said for a long time that it's really hard to get the full sense of what they're going for from the perspective of people following the game every step of the way. But they aren't making this content just for us. Eventually, the idea is that there will always been something new- something that wasn't there "last time," no matter how long it's been since the last time you played.

It's something I was thinking about when we were discussing in mumble what had been "added to the game" since launch. Basically, what is there that someone who was just returning now would find? And while there has been substantial permanent content added (Fractals, guild missions, jumping puzzles/minidungeons, a new zone), it's more clear to me than ever that ArenaNet wants a player in that scenario to ask not just "What did I miss?" but "What's going on right now?"
If GW2 can keep this up for the long run I think it will be the first game to do it successfully, especially if they can keep it tied in to the overarching story that is taking place.
Whether the entire ongoing story will keep threads to this first arc is still up in the air, but the hooks are already in there to answer two things using the next Living Story arc, one of which has been a question since November:
1) What are we doing with all these refugees?
2) How do we make Southsun Cove worthwhile?

Lyng

No problemo! I'm surprised you didn't get to 80, dungeons get a lot more enjoyable at that point IMO, since you have the full spectrum of options available to your build.

Problem is I was not enjoying the journey once i hit 60. Couldnt really find any dungeon groups. Was in the dead EU gaf guild and kind of hated the whole repetitive risen theme.
I just wanted to reach 80 to finally start focusing on building my character and going full on out on the dungeons. And this is actually comming from someone who leveled 1-60 in vanilla wow.

Atrophis

Ok guys give it to me straight. How realistic is it to earn enough gold to buy a server transfer? I really don't want to pay £20 for the privelge.

I currently have 10g and a level 80 warrior. I need enough gold to buy 1800 gems. Is this likely to take months of grind? What would be a decent way to earn gold?

Ok guys give it to me straight. How realistic is it to earn enough gold to buy a server transfer? I really don't want to pay £20 for the privelge.

I currently have 10g and a level 80 warrior. I need enough gold to buy 1800 gems. Is this likely to take months of grind? What would be a decent way to earn gold?
Yesterday I checked and 1 gold netted ~35 gems so you need about 60gold for 1800gems.

Any dungeon run nets about 2 gold. You could try running a lot of dungeons.

HappyHunting

Neo Member
According to wiki it's 80gems/$usd so about 23$ for 1800 gems.

I think you can only buy them in $10, $20, $50 and $100 bundles.

Hrm I was going to suggest buying the gems as to expedite the process and get him playing with the group... but that seems a little steep. I considered doing the same but decided just deleting my level 40's was easier :)

Atrophis

So about 25 - 30 dungeon runs. I don't have any dungeon armour yet so could kill two birds with one stone. Only probably is I'm stuck on a medium pop server with no guild help. Wish I had realised my mistake back when gems were half the current price!

Molten Facility..
My first encounter was fun and a bit challenging, my second encounter was EASY, almost a walk in the park..first time in there just enjoying the ride, the second time I was learning, that final boss IS EASY, now that I have learned whenever one of the bosses lose 25% HP the other one gains 50 stacks of rage, and you have to switch to that one and get rid of the rage then switch back to the one you were focusing on, just repeat that process every 25%...

NinjaJesus

Gotta catch up here but first I must apologize to my missed dungeon run group from last night. Went down for a nap after I took care of some errands after work and didn't wake up til the morning. :p

Now I'm having fun monitor problems, yay!

Flame and Frost is the first "actual" Living Story arc. It served as both the first story being told in an ongoing sense in-game as well as a prototype for the living world technology infrastructure they'll be using from here on out.

In November, there was an invasion of a species called Karka into LA from the area known as Southsun Cove in the Sea of Sorrows. If you look in the southwest of LA, the jagged half-a-lighthouse there is from when the Ancient Karka jumped out of the water and smashed into it. We pushed them back and eventually corned and killed the Ancient Karka guiding all the others on the floor of its nest in the Bakestone Caverns. If you go there now you can still see its petrified corpse. So there were some minor elements of what would become living story incorporated. However, this was just a one-time, open-world event that spanned a weekend, rather than the episodic, slower burn of living story content.

Awesome. Glad I didn't miss anything major.

13+ Ways to Earn Gold in Guild Wars 2

Menelaus

Banned
So is any of this new content going to be permanent? I don't have time to play according to their schedule, but would hate to miss out on cool stuff happening.

NinjaJesus

So is any of this new content going to be permanent? I don't have time to play according to their schedule, but would hate to miss out on cool stuff happening.

As far as I know the Living Story comes and goes. So, you might wanna get it in while you can. It's not tough at all. I literally just did all of it an hour ago. Took me maybe 2 hours total.

Levyne

Banned
I wish more of the content additions were permanent, but to build off of Lunars post, part of me likes the idea of these arcs that come and go. Very much a "oh, I was there when we blew up the molten facility, some people got those expensive jetpacks on the tp from that!". And yeah, the first 2 months of FnF were pretty bare bones, and I sorta wished month 3 maybe had ~4 quest type things instead of two. I guess just wish there was a little more "meat", but having guild missions unlocking over the same period of time made it not so bad. And I'm sure that they have learned a lot from the experience so if FnF is the baseline I imagine it can only go up from here.

Having the instanced limited time content (the dungeon) worked a whole lot better than the Karka event, but I do hope that once we see the culling pve fix that they do try another round of in world limited content.Culling fix and some better scaling (two giant karka along the path that took a long time to kill) would have improved the experience a lot.

As for dungeons, if you didn't like anything about them before, you're not going to like them now. While the tweaking has been for the better, such as requiring only 3 torches on COF3, making the infinite mob rush on SE1 not so meaty, the res-rush removal, and the general AC boss tweaks, the core gameplay for 90% of them has gone unchanged. Basically if you are looking for trinity type aggro control and dps, it's not there. Some of the dungeons are worse than others at this point. AC is pretty much set for a while, mobs have less hp in general and bosses are highly mechanic based, CM has lots and lots of silver level mobs and is quite a chore to trudge through, TA is mostly fine, I'm not sure of specific complaints on that now that it has more waypoints, HOTW is still a time waster, takes a long time to kill anything in there, Arah is okay now I think since the long-ass path 4 boss has been nerfed. It's still the longest dungeon run on average and having only comparable rewards to any of the shorter dungeons makes the incentive to run it pretty low for me.

Lunar15

Interesting, I didn't know about the Ultima or Matrix stuff. Were the content updates anything on this scale?

I just feel like the content we've received since launch is pretty crazy. Sure there's been constant updates to the microtransaction store, however, I've never felt like any one update was particularly aimed at getting people to buy stuff.

HappyHunting

Neo Member
I like how limited some of the content is for sure. It's just a tad bit frustrating right now.
I'm trying to level as fast as a father of 2 can, but seeing this content coming, and soon going is slightly dissapointing as most have liked the encounter so far.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
As far as I know the Living Story comes and goes. So, you might wanna get it in while you can. It's not tough at all. I literally just did all of it an hour ago. Took me maybe 2 hours total.
Getting the title and the extra lore stuff would probably be a couple hours more than that starting from scratch, but yeah, following the main story arc would probably be about an hour or two for everything leading up to the new dungeon and an hour to complete it.

I like how limited some of the content is for sure. It's just a tad bit frustrating right now.
I'm trying to level as fast as a father of 2 can, but seeing this content coming, and soon going is slightly dissapointing as most have liked the encounter so far.
You get leveled up to 80 in the dungeon. Just join a group.

Lunar15

Yeah, I ran the dungeon with several people who were level 30, and we got through just fine. Sure you won't get through as fast as possible, but it's by no means a drag.

HappyHunting

Neo Member
Getting the title and the extra lore stuff would probably be a couple hours more than that starting from scratch, but yeah, following the main story arc would probably be about an hour or two for everything leading up to the new dungeon and an hour to complete it.

Yeah, I ran the dungeon with several people who were level 30, and we got through just fine.

WHAT ??!!! This isn't lvl 80 content... GW2 continues to confuse and amuse me.

NinjaJesus

Yeah, come to think of it...I had 'helping the refugees' done and killing the invaders about 90% done before I started this morning lol

Sorry for the gross understatement D: still, it can be done in 2 weeks easy.

Anno

I just know if there ever comes a point that I'm scrolling through my Living Story achievements and one will forever be empty ill be sad. Normally I don't achievement whore, but for some reason I love them here.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, come to think of it...I had 'helping the refugees' done and killing the invated about 90% done before I started this morning lol

Sorry for the gross understatement D: still, it can be done in 2 weeks easy.
Either way, the title certainly isn't "necessary" to see what the Flame and Frost arc is all about, and the stuff you get from the Dead Drops mission is pretty ancillary lore-type goodness for well-adjusted and sexy people like me who are into that kind of thing.

Just doing Braham and Rox's instances plus the new dungeon once apiece and you can get a nice bite of new content without spending much time on it.
I just know if there ever comes a point that I'm scrolling through my Living Story achievements and one will forever be empty ill be sad. Normally I don't achievement whore, but for some reason I love them here.
Yeah, I know inevitably there will be something I miss out on and be all jealous. But ArenaNet's been pretty good about sending emails with each big content push so even if I haven't really been playing much at the time I should know that something's going on to check out.

edit: This will sound silly, but I'm digging the subtler, smaller scale impacts of the Flame & Frost progression maybe even more than the new content.

In-game for 15 minutes to check some guild stuff and I hopped over to Maw because it was going on. Afterward there was one of the Molten Alliance carrier events so I went to help a couple newbies with it. Out pops one of the Molten Protector mobs, with the big shield AoE (from the new dungeon). I hadn't seen them in any of the events up til now. It's like the Alliance has been rolling out their new tech into their invasion forces as they've developed over time.

Also, someone posted on reddit that some open world NPCs have updated dialogue about the ongoing events. These ice fishers right by the entrance to the dungeon have always been out there fishing, but if you go to them now there's a dialogue option like, "are you nuts, the molten alliance is right here?!"
IuOS4dk.png

Keep your eyes peeled for preexisting npcs anywhere else that might have new text added :)

NinjaJesus

Yeah, I know inevitably there will be something I miss out on and be all jealous. But ArenaNet's been pretty good about sending emails with each big content push so even if I haven't really been playing much at the time I should know that something's going on to check out.

Yeah, I can't see myself missing content lol it'll drive me crazy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Urk, somebody dug into the code and found a bunch of upcoming gem shop items. It's on reddit. I won't paste everything cause I actually got spoiled on some things from the descriptions :'(

But, this is coming:
Learn to Dance Like the Pros!, This permanent book teaches you the dance moves "Dodge Step," "Inventory Shuffle," and "Gear Grind" each time you read it. You can spread the dancing spirit by leading others in these moves while you dance.
Anyone who has seen these dances from the Boxes o' Fun knows why this is a must-have.

All heavy group, 3 guards, 2 warriors, Molten is way too easy, that type of group needs hardmode, 25 min max, we rushed every group they didn't stand a chance and the boss fight was 4mins max... wish i had fraps install to show the GW2 community what pwnage looks like, also there's a safe spot for core boss, top left corner and you don't get hit...

Wallach

Yes! Unlimited Axe & Sickle. Knew they were coming, just glad it's confirmed. Getting 'em soon as they drop.

Yeah, plus now the forge conduit is coming back for gems. Interested to see the new gem armor sets; I hope the medium armor one isn't just another coat.

Hrm I was going to suggest buying the gems as to expedite the process and get him playing with the group... but that seems a little steep. I considered doing the same but decided just deleting my level 40's was easier :)

I'm not sure deleting all your characters lets you transfer servers! You might want to research that before doing something you might regret a lot.

As for dungeons, if you didn't like anything about them before, you're not going to like them now. While the tweaking has been for the better, such as requiring only 3 torches on COF3, making the infinite mob rush on SE1 not so meaty, the res-rush removal, and the general AC boss tweaks, the core gameplay for 90% of them has gone unchanged.

Well, I don't know about others, but the res-rush removal for me is a literal game-changer. As in, I wouldn't touch dungeons with a ten foot pole if it was still around. It's night and day.

All heavy group, 3 guards, 2 warriors, Molten is way too easy, that type of group needs hardmode, 25 min max, we rushed every group they didn't stand a chance and the boss fight was 4mins max... wish i had fraps install to show the GW2 community what pwnage looks like, also there's a safe spot for core boss, top left corner and you don't get hit...

Even though I haven't set foot on it yet, it's a dungeon that's up for ten days and designed to be able to be completed by a team of five level fives; it's not exactly what I would expect to be challenging. I guess a more apt comparison would be the Christmas dungeon.

Thing is, people are reporting that the final boss is quite fun; it seems such a shame to have that disappear forever in ten days. Perhaps chunks of it will be fractal-ized?

HappyHunting

Neo Member
I'm not sure deleting all your characters lets you transfer servers! You might want to research that before doing something you might regret a lot.

Researched and took the dive 2 weeks ago. I can confirm it works. You just stick everything in your bank that you can fit and delete all characters, then you can free transfer to a new server.

Anno

Yeah, plus now the forge conduit is coming back for gems. Interested to see the new gem armor sets; I hope the medium armor one isn't just another coat.

Wait, the conduit is coming back? Damnit. I was holding into mine hoping it would be a precious artifact some day.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thing is, people are reporting that the final boss is quite fun; it seems such a shame to have that disappear forever in ten days. Perhaps chunks of it will be fractal-ized?
I've seen this suggested in three different places and I have to hope the devs have seen it by now. This is such a brilliant idea (moving mini-versions of temporary content to new fractals), both to preserve the hard work put into this new, excellent content as well as to set the precedent for "flashback" fractals of future events.

Quite frankly, if this occurs I'd spend $20 on gems as soon as it's announced.

what has become of my principles
Wait, the conduit is coming back? Damnit. I was holding into mine hoping it would be a precious artifact some day.
See my comment. Expect a single-use "Mystic Forge Express" rather than anything related to the permanent conduit.

Anno

Here's to hoping. Worst case it'll still be account bound, so fully tradeable ones might still be a curiosity.

A lot of the other stuff sounds fun. Weapon skins must make tons of cash, cause there seem to be a lot coming.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My guess is they will put the permanent conduit in the BLCs like the permanent bank access, trader, etc.
That'd make sense. Express versions for purchase outright, perma in the BLCs and tradeable to bring down TP costs generally and have everything synchronized with regard to the perma/express services.

edit: *shakes head disapprovingly* People are upvoting a post said that Taidha the Hydra Queen Covington "now" gives a guaranteed rare. She has as soon as there was a such thing as guaranteed rares! Peasants.

From context I take this to mean that the bugs/inconsistency in her chain may have been worked out. We should give it a shot!

oktarb

I really had no idea the Living Story was fun. I know that sounds odd but I briefly read the description way back when and mostly ignored it. Last night I delved a little deeper and decided to run it.

It's a mini campaign!

There are full on missions that you can run solo. I thought is was all run around and collect X and Y. Which BTW was the worst part but once it got to the missions I was in love. I almost wish that you had to get to 90% in the Living Story before you could enter the Facility or maybe you get a better version of the dungeon if you're running it to complete the story arc.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It ramped up. At first there were just whisperings in game and no actual content. Then there was very minor in-game content to help out the refugees as they came down from the north, Then there were temporary settlements for the refugees set up with a little more info, and a fetch quest for some refugees' lost belonging (my least favorite aspect of it by far). Then there were in-world events showing off the new enemy designs, but no actual new enemy types. Then the sonic periscopes in-game, but nothing on killing them. Then the new instances for Rox and Braham that could be done by any number of people, which introduced some actual new mob types, and an Order of Whispers quest to collect audio logs with extra bits of lore/clues. Then a ramp-up of the in-world events, incorporating the new enemy types (alliance groups would start to spawn after killing a periscope). And now an actual dungeon requiring 5 people, the intersection of Rox and Braham's stories, and new clues/hooks into the next Living Story arc.

A greater percentage of the total in-game population has been participating in the living story content as time went on, which I have to imagine is exactly what they were going for. And now that they have used this particular story as a template for the living world infrastructure itself, they can iterate on the content itself for the next one to make it more exciting.

It's easy to complain that the first two months were barebones compared to the current status of Flame and Frost in-game, but from the perspective of looking at it in total, I would think it would seem pretty impressive to anyone who is simply being honest with themselves about what the genre has accomplished before.

And then when you consider that halfway through, they also happened to unveil something as unique, fun, and unexpected as the Super Adventure Box... and I just do not know how anyone can compete.

It's perfectly understandable to me that people might not like the core gameplay on offer here, or dislike certain types of content, or be disappointed with the storylines, or any particular individual aspect. But seriously: how can you not be impressed with the amount and variety of content that has been provided to all players of this game since launch, for free? I mean I know I suck this game's dick all the time and that makes it hard for me to seem objective, but fuck it. Some of us know a little bit about what's coming, and seriously, fuck it. Competitors are going to be playing catch-up for years.
I almost wish that you had to get to 90% in the Living Story before you could enter the Facility
I see where you're coming from with this but pragmatically, it's better if someone who happens to enter the game for the first time in months on the last day the dungeon is in-game to have access to it.
or maybe you get a better version of the dungeon if you're running it to complete the story arc.
This on the other hand is a really cool idea.

I really had no idea the Living Story was fun. I know that sounds odd but I briefly read the description way back when and mostly ignored it. Last night I delved a little deeper and decided to run it.

It's a mini campaign!

That's actually a pretty great description, it's like an episodic D&D campaign. The coolest thing is how you can skip the parts that you don't like (I for one don't enjoy running around and collecting stuff) and concentrate on the meat if you want.

I've seen this suggested in three different places and I have to hope the devs have seen it by now. This is such a brilliant idea (moving mini-versions of temporary content to new fractals), both to preserve the hard work put into this new, excellent content as well as to set the precedent for "flashback" fractals of future events.

I half expect, half hope this is the plan all along. I've not yet run the dungeon, but a big telltale would be it having more run-off-the-mill, disposable parts, and then the truly memorable parts to be fractalized. The cool thing is that this would give long-time players context for the fractal itself, while new players could still enjoy the "atemporal" content and listen to the veteran's war stories (much like what Hawkian narrated about the Karka... the feeling of "I was there" is so awesome. :D).

To me, Fractals is a bit like WoW's Caverns of Time, i.e. a collection of greatest hits of the world's story. Only in CoT the instances' background is Warcraft history, while Fractals's background could be the own, ongoing, literal story of the game.

Quite frankly, if this occurs I'd spend $20 on gems as soon as it's announced.

what has become of my principles

I see nothing wrong with principles that include rewarding a skilled craftsman for the craft you're enjoying. Quite the opposite. :D

As for the living story, WoW has had things like that in the past, but in a much, much more limited scope (by far the biggest change has been Cataclysm, of course), and it almost always ended up provoking the rage of players, which simply are not used to an evolving world. In a sense, "training" players to expect change from the start might be one of the best things to having created an entirely new MMO.

There is one particular instance in WoW that was by far my favorite event to happen in the entire history of the game, and unsurprisingly the one to generate the most bitching among players, even though the number of permanent changes it introduced to the world was ultimately zero: the zombie infection/invasion previous to the launch of Wrath of the Lich King. Being (voluntarily in my case) turned into a zombie, shambling aroung turning others, and gathering your own army of converted NPCs to unleash unto unsuspecting players was some of the most fun I've ever had in a game. :D

Of course it turned into player bitching central and Blizzard promptly never did anything even remotely like that. :/

Proven

So about 25 - 30 dungeon runs. I don't have any dungeon armour yet so could kill two birds with one stone. Only probably is I'm stuck on a medium pop server with no guild help. Wish I had realised my mistake back when gems were half the current price!

A. Use Guesting
B. Use GW2LFG.com
C. When entering a dungeon, it's like being in an overflow; you'll link parties with the dungeon leader no matter where they're from (unless they took this out when they fixed guesting...)

You can do it!

jersoc

guess an unlimited sickle and logging tool are coming too.

probably won't buy those cause that stuff sells for shit on the TP.

Anno

Wonder what kinda crazy tech they wrote/implemented/refined in the whole process. Also really hope this is just the first of many treasure chests for completing an achievement.

NinjaJesus

guess an unlimited sickle and logging tool are coming too.

probably won't buy those cause that stuff sells for shit on the TP.

Never having to worry about buying more and being able to mine EVERYTHING without worrying about running out mid gather or wasting your uses on shit that's not top tier mats is well worth it imho.

Never having to worry about buying more and being able to mine EVERYTHING without worrying about running out mid gather or wasting your uses on shit that's not top tier mats is well worth it imho.

Worth really varies from person to person. Considering each one is $10 each, it would take quite a bit of gathering to earn the value. But for some people $30 total (for all tools) isn't really a big purchase and like Hawkian, they want to contribute to the Dev as a reward for great content.

NinjaJesus

Worth really varies from person to person. Considering each one is $10 each, it would take quite a bit of gathering to earn the value. But for some people $30 total (for all tools) isn't really a big purchase and like Hawkian, they want to contribute to the Dev as a reward for great content.

Yeah, I get that. Jus' sayin'...lol

Watch them introduce a higher tier of materials though.

I could see them introducing another "drop" off the current stuff. Similar to how they've introduced the Azurite to Ore. Something to make Harvesting and Logging more valuable.

Nah, they'll introduce new tiers of materials (and gathering tools) when an expansion rolls out, along with the level cap increase. I was commenting this to a fellow GAFGuilder, don't expect your pick to last forever.

Nah, they'll introduce new tiers of materials (and gathering tools) when an expansion rolls out, along with the level cap increase. I was commenting this to a fellow GAFGuilder, don't expect your pick to last forever.

That works against their policy of lateral progression though. They'd face a pretty big backlash from the players if they did that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom