• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vet slayer complete in 6 mins hahahaha Some kinda of bug at Melandru or maybe it was changed, instead of vets and regular enemies, nothing but vets spawned for the final event...

jersoc

Hey guys, been lurking in this thread a bit, just wanted to say I'm really happy you've all been enjoying the dungeon. I did all the enemy and boss design for it, so seeing lots of positive comments totally makes my day.

please do the redesigns for the other dungeons. less just tank and spank bosses please.

Katoki

Hey guys, been lurking in this thread a bit, just wanted to say I'm really happy you've all been enjoying the dungeon. I did all the enemy and boss design for it, so seeing lots of positive comments totally makes my day.

I still say the best part of the entire dungeon is the cut scene where the berserker and fire storm come in.

I really have to try the new dungeon. I'm so hilariously behind that I haven't even completed Eir's son part of the living story. Hopefully this weekend, which so far doesn't have a lot of commitments for me, will allow me to catch up.

Kuraine

Neo Member
The end fight is by far my favorite in the game. As I put it during my first run "This sucks in all the right ways." Too many bosses were push overs or didn't really require tactics. So I do have to ask: Is it intentional that the second boss goes to full health after downing the first? Seemed odd that we had both to about 10% health left, we downed one and then the other was back to full.

Indeed :) If you notice, Braham also revives/heals everyone, so it's very much a rallying "time to finish this guy" sort of moment. One guy basically absorbs the power of the other, which includes the game logic of healing up. Everyone's on an even playing field for the final phase.

Of course, a "hard mode" version of the encounter would be a bit different. We originally had the ground pound rings knock you down, like in the Weapon Test. But that was one element that just pushed it over the top difficulty-wise for the mid-range players we targeted. Of course, a lot of hardcore folks want to see a hard mode version, and folks that haven't run a dungeon before would say it's still too hard as-is.

Balance was the hardest thing about getting the encounter just right, but I think we got it to a good compromise.

Our QA group was also pretty amazing at trying to exploit the hell out of everything with mesmers and thieves, so I put in a lot of precautions for that.

Indeed :) If you notice, Braham also revives/heals everyone, so it's very much a rallying "time to finish this guy" sort of moment. One guy basically absorbs the power of the other, which includes the game logic of healing up. Everyone's on an even playing field for the final phase.

Of course, a "hard mode" version of the encounter would be a bit different. We originally had the ground pound rings knock you down, like in the Weapon Test. But that was one element that just pushed it over the top difficulty-wise for the mid-range players we targeted. Of course, a lot of hardcore folks want to see a hard mode version, and folks that haven't run a dungeon before would say it's still too hard as-is.

Balance was the hardest thing about getting the encounter just right, but I think we got it to a good compromise.

Our QA group was also pretty amazing at trying to exploit the hell out of everything with mesmers and thieves, so I put in a lot of precautions for that.

I also like that depending on who you kill first there's a variance of difficulty in the final phase with the Bezerker bringing trickier elements than the flying boss (Firebringer?). So with more skilled groups, they can opt for a harder final phase by choice. It's awesome.

Edit: Also for anyone who hasn't seen the dungeon yet, the official Guild Wars 2 channel will be running the dungeon in about 12 minutes here: http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2 Living World Coordinator Steven Waller and Content Designer Leif Chappelle are said to be present on the stream.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Indeed :) If you notice, Braham also revives/heals everyone, so it's very much a rallying "time to finish this guy" sort of moment.

He pretty much died on us within seconds iirc :D Great boss fight, but I kinda even like the first battle more, the environmental stuff was amazing in there.

Also, I loved the countdown finale, that was pretty well done and I didn't see that coming at all. Poor guys who got stuck at the door, good times.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
*tip* It's really a blast. Thanks for the hard work, and welcome to GAF!

Lunar15

Also, I can't stress enough how much I love them going back to in-game cutscenes. Seeing the bosses jump out of the wall to attack you definitely set the tone.

Also, not sure if it was a bug or not, but Rox survived the entire fight for me. Tanked the boss, just about. Finally, an NPC we can count on.

In the future though, I think it would be interesting to incorporate NPC's in a different way. It always seems weird that these "heroes" rush into battle with you and die immediately. It'd be neat if they were outside of the battle, giving you some kind of assistance. Much like what they did with Hodgins in the AC Howling King path. Hodgins lights the fires that you have to drag the mobs into. I think it goes a long way to making the player view these guys as allies and not just stupid AI that just die when a fight starts.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Make sure when you finish Rox's chapter of Flame and Frost, you interrogate the prisoners in the Black Citadel. They have some... choice things to say. I'll spoil tag it and my speculation;
Whoa, great catches! I have my own theories now, but I'm actually starting to feel like a conspiracy theorist in fleshing them out. Sooo let's just see.
So what you see is Tooth of Frostfang the precursor. And thanks to the unnamed for jumping in and helping even though is was all customer crazies :D
Hahaha,.. congrats, man. You've got a keeper :D
The end fight is by far my favorite in the game. As I put it during my first run "This sucks in all the right ways." Too many bosses were push overs or didn't really require tactics. So I do have to ask: Is it intentional that the second boss goes to full health after downing the first? Seemed odd that we had both to about 10% health left, we downed one and then the other was back to full.
Definitely worth it to focus on one far more than the other, only attacking it to get the enrage stack off.
I still say the best part of the entire dungeon is the cut scene where the berserker and fire storm come in.
Hey, Bruiser!
:) It feels very well-tuned. We'd certainly love a hard mode, too, though. ;) GAFGuild devours challenge! Om nom nom.
Also, I can't stress enough how much I love them going back to in-game cutscenes. Seeing the bosses jump out of the wall to attack you definitely set the tone.

Also, not sure if it was a bug or not, but Rox survived the entire fight for me. Tanked the boss, just about. Finally, an NPC we can count on.
Love the cutscenes as well. And I actually found myself rezzing Rox when she went down during that. She, um.... rules.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Dawwww Frostbite.

Have you guys seen this? I've always wanted to make some gifs of the cooler GW2 skills, but the process I've always used is so exhausting and inconsistent.

GAME CHANGER.

Lunar15

Who else is in the Frostbite Fan Club after the new dungeon? :)

Can't be the only one who thought of this:

baby-metroid.jpg

;)

In all seriousness, though, at THAT low a level you shouldn't really be concerned with finding an optimized anything or even worrying about how your skills work together. At level 7 you'll get weapon swapping, which is totally critical for a mesmer, and your utility skills are incredibly important as well. Finally, the nuances of shattering are deeply complex, and you literally won't have the full array of options to consider with regard to the mechanic until level 80.

What you want to focus on first are the core game mechanics- namely, at that level, dodging. The game doesn't force you to get good at doing so until much later- really, not until the first explorable dungeon. But mastering it early on will make the rest of your leveling experience much more enjoyable and give you a foundation for skilled play as you develop your build. And then one day, when you unlock the trait Deceptive Evasion, you'll feel OP as hell ;)

To answer your question about staff skills more seriously, you are definitely not using them in the most efficient order.

What you'll want to do is open with Chaos Storm- run up to your target so that you can position the AOE over both you and it at the same time. Chaos Storm gives you boons (good effects) and puts conditions (bad effects) on enemies, so it's always best used with both in mind. Then, while still in the field of Chaos Storm, use Phase Retreat, which is a Leap Combo Finisher, and watch what happens (edit: missed that you knew about the the combo already, ohhhh well.) :D Back off a bit further from the retreat (staff has a very long range) and summon your warlock, then another clone with retreat as soon as it's up- you want to have the three of you attacking the target, stacking conditions and keeping the enemy focused on your summons rather than you. Utilities you can unlock early on will help a lot with your clone production and survival. Use Chaos Armor the moment aggro turns back to you. Finally, don't shatter until your enemy is close to death and you can use it for the kill- early on, the distraction provided by your summons is way more beneficial than the shatter effects.

But really don't worry about getting that stuff down exactly as I described at level 4 :p Mesmer has a steep learning curve. You're going to be rallying from down state plenty of the time prior to level 20, and it'll be even further after that before you get a feel for where you want your build to go. Luckily, leveling in the game is very fast.
I appreciate the feedback, it's my first week with the game and it plays rather different from other games I've experienced previously in the genre.

I've mainly been trying to unlock all the weapons skills first, to get some kind of feel for the different weapons.

Though I feel like I'm quite inefficient when it comes to dodging. I'm mainly doing circle-strafing around the mobs since backing is too slow, and alternating dodge left/right with Phase Retreat to gain some distance while trying to keep in range of the Winds of Chaos boons and my illusions. Though I guess it takes a while to recognize the attack pattern of the different enemies, but I mistime it quite often.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Bear in mind that you are completely invincible when you dodge- it's not just a distancing move/position changer. You can dodge through attacks.

I realized I didn't suggest any early utilities: Decoy, Null Field, and Blink are great choices. You'll like them a lot.

Lunar15

Make sure when you finish Rox's chapter of Flame and Frost, you interrogate the prisoners in the Black Citadel. They have some... choice things to say. I'll spoil tag it and my speculation;

The second mentions that some "Fast talking friend from the city" arranged the deal, someone with a "Silver tongue", a "snake-nosed trickster".

My God. It's Trahearne. (I wish)

Ashodin

Something bigger is coming. The first prisoner says our (that is, the players) time is coming and we should prepare to die in their fires. He also mentions that the Molten Alliance doesn't fear the Elder Dragons, that they'll be around long after they've devoured the rest of us.

The second mentions that some "Fast talking friend from the city" arranged the deal, someone with a "Silver tongue", a "snake-nosed trickster".

We know from the dead drops that "Something pushed the Flame Legion and dredge together, but it wasn't desperation or minions of Primordus". What the hell could be strong enough to make them feel like they'll survive the Elder dragons? They don't mention Jormag either, maybe the 'Frost' part has yet to kick in?

Either way, I think we'll get more answers as the event wraps up.

Hey, thanks for dropping in. You should join us in game too, you wouldn't be the first dev to do so.

As to the dungeon, great boss encounter. Looking forward to the continued dungeon revamps and future Fractals / Dungeons if these are the kind of encounters we can expect. Keep up the good work, you guys rock.

dat consortium

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
How big/active is the eu gaf guild? Maybe I'll transfer.

Atrophis

I have no idea whats going on but my main has changed from SBI to a European server. I'm pretty damn sure I never transferred that character. I did transfer an alt back when it was free so I could play with a buddy. Do server transfers move all of your characters? Urg I am so damn pissed I can't play with GAF now :/

Retro

How big/active is the eu gaf guild? Maybe I'll transfer.

EU GAFGuild kind of went belly up after a couple people sort of .... erm.... hijacked it and then disappeared, leaving it to die. Everyone moved to Stormbluff Isle and the regular GAFGuild.

I have no idea whats going on but my main has changed from SBI to a European server. I'm pretty damn sure I never transferred that character. I did transfer an alt back when it was free so I could play with a buddy. Do server transfers move all of your characters? Urg I am so damn pissed I can't play with GAF now :/

All characters are bound to the same server, it's not character-specific. If you transferred one, you transferred 'em all. Sorry.

Dawwww Frostbite.

Have you guys seen this? I've always wanted to make some gifs of the cooler GW2 skills, but the process I've always used is so exhausting and inconsistent.

GAME CHANGER.

I also made a yeef.

Guild%20Wars%202%20Paintings.gif

Yep, this thread is going places.

Next up: Asura /laugh as a dismissive ROFL macro.

BLCKATK

Whats up GW2 GAF? I just started playing again, I'm leveling a new character but I also have my 80 Elementalist as well. I'm playing on Dragonbrand but I know the questing feature will let us play together. If possible I'd love to get into the guild and play with you guys. I've been lurking in this thread for a bit and it sounds like you guys have a blast.

nataku

Ok, spectator mode is officially my favorite part of this update. I haven't even logged in since it patched: just keep popping on twitch to watch streams or recordings.

Like this one: http://www.twitch.tv/blu42/b/397845894
Or this one: http://www.twitch.tv/tehmaker/c/2230050

The only issue with spectator mode is that spectators take up slots on servers. So if you have a server set for 10v10, but spectator mode enabled and 4 spectators join it really brings it down to a 8v8 game. You also can't spectator games that are full because of this.

The next thing they need to do is get a full blown unlimited observer mode.

Retro

Whats up GW2 GAF? I just started playing again, I'm leveling a new character but I also have my 80 Elementalist as well. I'm playing on Dragonbrand but I know the questing feature will let us play together. If possible I'd love to get into the guild and play with you guys. I've been lurking in this thread for a bit and it sounds like you guys have a blast.

Post your username.#### and someone will get you an invite ASAP.

Lunar15

I don't want to get into hyperbole here, but has there ever been a game that attempted anything like what Guild Wars 2 is doing? I mean, the idea of having an evolving and non-permanent storyline in a game. It's almost like a TV series. I think if they tighten up the writing a little more, and maybe give us some more to chew on, it would be downright revolutionary in terms of game narrative.

It just seems so radical from anything I've ever thought of having in a game. Sure, execution is wonky sometimes, but the most recent update blew my socks off. It's kind of sad to me that the game doesn't get much mention in most gaming news outlets. I know the game isn't for everyone, but the ideas it has for what you can do with story and content in a persistent world is pretty fascinating.

I don't want to get into hyperbole here, but has there ever been a game that attempted anything like what Guild Wars 2 is doing? I mean, the idea of having an evolving and non-permanent storyline in a game. It's almost like a TV series. I think if they tighten up the writing a little more, and maybe give us some more to chew on, it would be downright revolutionary in terms of game narrative.

It just seems so radical from anything I've ever thought of having in a game. Sure, execution is wonky sometimes, but the most recent update blew my socks off. It's kind of sad to me that the game doesn't get much mention in most gaming news outlets. I know the game isn't for everyone, but the ideas it has for what you can do with story and content in a persistent world is pretty fascinating.

Matrix Online off the top of my head attempted it 10 years ago. I'm sure there are other examples, but this is the only one I can remember off the top of my head.

The only issue with spectator mode is that spectators take up slots on servers. So if you have a server set for 10v10, but spectator mode enabled and 4 spectators join it really brings it down to a 8v8 game. You also can't spectator games that are full because of this.

The next thing they need to do is get a full blown unlimited observer mode.

I don't have a clue, but was this fixed with this?:

Update 3 - 30 April 2013
General

Re-enabled spectator mode
Fixed a bug with spectator mode preventing players from joining a team
Fixed PvP daily achievements not incrementing at the end of matches

A couple games have attempted to do it over the past decade or so. Matrix Online mentioned above and Ultima Online are two that tried. MO died off, and UO was never able to keep up with constant events, and the entire idea died only shortly after it was announced.

I guess you could also consider LOTRO's books as something similar as they tend to release them every few months, but those are hardly dynamic of world changing.

If GW2 can keep this up for the long run I think it will be the first game to do it successfully, especially if they can keep it tied in to the overarching story that is taking place.

From what I heard on mumble last night, this game is about to blow away every other existing MMO when it comes to free content updates.

NinjaJesus

I just started playing about a month or two ago and I was wondering...is Frost and Flame the first living story they've had? Did I miss any? I think the game was out like 6+ months before I started.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Gotta catch up here but first I must apologize to my missed dungeon run group from last night. Went down for a nap after I took care of some errands after work and didn't wake up til the morning. :p

Now I'm having fun monitor problems, yay!
I just started playing about a month or two ago and I was wondering...is Frost and Flame the first living story they've had? Did I miss any? I think the game was out like 6+ months before I started.
Flame and Frost is the first "actual" Living Story arc. It served as both the first story being told in an ongoing sense in-game as well as a prototype for the living world technology infrastructure they'll be using from here on out.

In November, there was an invasion of a species called Karka into LA from the area known as Southsun Cove in the Sea of Sorrows. If you look in the southwest of LA, the jagged half-a-lighthouse there is from when the Ancient Karka jumped out of the water and smashed into it. We pushed them back and eventually corned and killed the Ancient Karka guiding all the others on the floor of its nest in the Bakestone Caverns. If you go there now you can still see its petrified corpse. So there were some minor elements of what would become living story incorporated. However, this was just a one-time, open-world event that spanned a weekend, rather than the episodic, slower burn of living story content.

Lyng

So I have been thinking about getting back into GW.

One question. Did they change the dungeons, or is it still basically whack-a-mole -> respawn?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So I have been thinking about getting back into GW.

One question. Did they change the dungeons, or is it still basically whack-a-mole -> respawn?
Res-rushing has been completely removed from the game mechanically (you simply can't respawn form the nearest waypoint and run back to win through attrition anymore; it's either win a fight or wipe).

However, the encounters themselves are in the early stages of being completely redone, so right now the dungeons as a whole are still hit or miss. I don't know how extensively you played them before, but if you had tried them all you must know (for example) how radically different the HotW fights are versus the ones in CoE.

To see the new design philosophy in action, you'll want to replay AC, which has been completely redone including radically different boss fights, and the new story dungeon that is in the game for the next 10 days. More full dungeon redesigns are coming, as are (one imagines) more temporary dungeon content along with future ongoing story arcs.

Lyng

Res-rushing has been completely removed from the game mechanically (you simply can't respawn form the nearest waypoint and run back to win through attrition anymore; it's either win a fight or wipe).

However, the encounters themselves are in the early stages of being completely redone, so right now the dungeons as a whole are still hit or miss. I don't know how extensively you played them before, but if you had tried them all you must know (for example) how radically different the HotW fights are versus the ones in CoE.

To see the new design philosophy in action, you'll want to replay AC, which has been completely redone including radically different boss fights, and the new story dungeon that is in the game for the next 10 days. More full dungeon redesigns are coming, as are (one imagines) more temporary dungeon content along with future ongoing story arcs.

That sounds amazing!. Pretty much exactly what might bring me back into this game, and finally get me to get that first char to 80. I mainly play MMO's for dungeons and the social aspect.
Thanks for the answer Hawk :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom