• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giard

Fuck me, they even nerfed the Blinding Befuddlement trait for Mesmers.
They really need to buff Staff, condition Mesmers are extremely weak now compared to other condition damage builds...

edit: The mini hippo is so cute.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
We won't know the answer to the guild missions question until after the reset tonight- be aware the MONTHLY is going to reset at this point as well.

come on let's do a t3 bounty guys. come on.

Gem store gear looks cool though my two characters can't equip any of it hehe

So did I hear right that the only skin or gear you get in the dungeon is a pair of gloves? Figured they'd have weapon skins and such.

Levyne

Banned
Gem store gear looks cool though my two characters can't equip any of it hehe

So did I hear right that the only skin or gear you get in the dungeon is a pair of gloves? Figured they'd have weapon skins and such.

The pair of gloves is guaranteed completion stuff, my guess is there's some nice unique stuff that can be had too.

Seems like so far is a Jetpack, Tonic (and recipe for tonic) and Mini.

leng jai

Underwhelming changes to Mesmer along with the confusion nerf. No changes to staff conditions or fix for the iBerzerker. Dafuq Anet?

Velocity

OK, so I've tried a few different classes: Mesmer, Necromancer, and Engineer. I've played the Mesmer the most of those three, and just hit 11 on her last night. I'm still having so much fun playing this game, but does Mesmer start to feel any different? I feel like I'm stuck using a great sword as that feels like its just the most useful. I also seem to die a lot to enemies my own level, or slightly under, but that's probably just me. I hate posts asking "what class should I be?", so I won't do that. I'm just starting to fall behind in leveling as my friends are happy with their class, but I'm not 100% on if Mesmer was a good starting choice.

That aside, I'll see about trying to contact someone to get into the GAF guild. Probably happen toward the weekend when I have more free time.

Oh, and yay patch!

leng jai

OK, so I've tried a few different classes: Mesmer, Necromancer, and Engineer. I've played the Mesmer the most of those three, and just hit 11 on her last night. I'm still having so much fun playing this game, but does Mesmer start to feel any different? I feel like I'm stuck using a great sword as that feels like its just the most useful. I also seem to die a lot to enemies my own level, or slightly under, but that's probably just me. I hate posts asking "what class should I be?", so I won't do that. I'm just starting to fall behind in leveling as my friends are happy with their class, but I'm not 100% on if Mesmer was a good starting choice.

That aside, I'll see about trying to contact someone to get into the GAF guild. Probably happen toward the weekend when I have more free time.

Oh, and yay patch!

Mesmer is absolutely atrocious before level 40. I'd recommend using a staff for levelling as it has the best survivability of all the Mesmer weapons. Sword and pistol will help you with DPS as well. Great sword is decent but once you get swarmed by mobs in melee range jr becomes useless. Make sure you swap weapons regularly - it's pretty essential. Doing some crafting to bypass some of the early levelling would help as well.

Velocity

Mesmer is absolutely atrocious before level 40. I'd recommend using a staff for levelling as it has the best survivability of all the Mesmer weapons. Sword and pistol will help you with DPS as well. Great sword is decent but once you get swarmed by mobs in melee range jr becomes useless. Make sure you swap weapons regularly - it's pretty essential. Doing some crafting to bypass some of the early levelling would help as well.

Ouch, 40 levels before it gets better? That's pretty steep, but I've never been one to pick easy classes, as chance would have it. Normally I play tank classes, but I thought I'd heard this game doesn't really have that so much? Perhaps I heard wrong? I'll certainly heed your advice. I didn't like the staff too much, but maybe that will help my survivability. Thanks!

Lunar15

Dat Shield

DCB5A84BD40E510358F7FA996DBA0968A05D6C68

The Molten Weapons facility is a bit long, but it's some great content. The final bosses are an absolute blast. Probably my favorite end boss so far. I want to see all the different dialogue trees. Maybe see Braham re-connect with his crush.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ouch, 40 levels before it gets better? That's pretty steep, but I've never been one to pick easy classes, as chance would have it. Normally I play tank classes, but I thought I'd heard this game doesn't really have that so much? Perhaps I heard wrong? I'll certainly heed your advice. I didn't like the staff too much, but maybe that will help my survivability. Thanks!
Staff is definitely helpful for survival (in many ways, it is simply the best Mesmer weapon). It seems a little underpowered or awkward at first, but it has magnificient synergy. I definitely suggest this video series: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eZ0NNd7b60 Very enlightening stuff with regard to all the weapon sets and the class strengths in general.

The class has a very, very steep learning curve and a huge skill ceiling. However, they're also extraordinarily good in all areas of the game at the highest level of play. If you LIKE the class, stick with it. At level 11 you've just barely even unlocked traits; there's much more to come, starting with having all of your utility skills (mesmer utilities are particularly awesome).

Retro

Unless you're actually talking about your 360 dying, you mean your RORD :)

The brain just wants to read it as red ring... blew my own mind when I first noticed it.

Maybe he's celebrating that his 360 died so he won't have any distractions from Guild Wars 2?

Staff is definitely helpful for survival (in many ways, it is simply the best Mesmer weapon). It seems a little underpowered or awkward at first, but it has magnificient synergy. I definitely suggest this video series: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eZ0NNd7b60 Very enlightening stuff with regard to all the weapon sets and the class strengths in general.

The class has a very, very steep learning curve and a huge skill ceiling. However, they're also extraordinarily good in all areas of the game at the highest level of play. If you LIKE the class, stick with it. At level 11 you've just barely even unlocked traits; there's much more to come, starting with having all of your utility skills (mesmer utilities are particularly awesome).
So I'm new to the game and trying out a mesmer, but I feel that the staff has such a long downtime between storm/armor.
I try to run retreat/warlock/armor/storm/retreat (for the combo finisher), but after that i'm basically out of skills and can only shatter and run around auto-attacking until storm/armor has recharged.

What am I doing wrong?

Retro

So I'm new to the game and trying out a mesmer, but I feel that the staff has such a long downtime between storm/armor.
I try to run retreat/warlock/armor/storm/retreat (for the combo finisher), but after that i'm basically out of skills and can only shatter and run around auto-attacking until storm/armor has recharged.

What am I doing wrong?

Probably stating the obvious here, but swap to a different weapon? If you literally just started, that ability doesn't unlock until level 7. After that, you can equip a secondary weapon and swap to it on the fly (there's a 10sec cooldown, of course). So if you've burned all your staff cooldowns, swap over to something else to continue the attack or give yourself more options.

Beyond that, my Mesmer is only in the teens, so I dunno what else to suggest. Hawkian will though, I'm sure.

Probably stating the obvious here, but swap to a different weapon? If you literally just started, that ability doesn't unlock until level 7. After that, you can equip a secondary weapon and swap to it on the fly (there's a 10sec cooldown, of course). So if you've burned all your staff cooldowns, swap over to something else to continue the attack or give yourself more options.

Beyond that, my Mesmer is only in the teens, so I dunno what else to suggest. Hawkian will though, I'm sure.
Yeah I'm only level 3 right now, managed to pull a raptor with some added hatchlings which went sour pretty fast after my chaos armor ran out.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

What am I doing wrong?

You're playing like you would play WoW, skill rotation and finding a button order without pauses doesn't really matter here I'd say.

With a staff mesmer, you basically rely on your 1 attack for actual damage, and you use your other skills to further enhance it (field, armor, etc) and support it (warlock). Try to keep your warlock alive by not summoning him as the first skill, and he will add more damage, you might even want to bring in a second one, but make sure the enemy's on you if possible so it's not for naught. Be sure not only the enemy, but you too are in the Chaos field. Hell, I'd say it's way more important that you are in. Use retreat to make your enemy busy with clones (pretty hard in the first few levels though, they don't really stay up that long).

Also, try other weapons :) But yeah, staff grants the most survivability in early levels, I'd say that, too.

Basically, with every class I know, skill "rotation" (or "spamming") isn't really the answer to having fun with gw2 fights. Learn what your attacks do, and try to make use of them, figure out how to interlock them and when to play them best. Of course this only gets (again, imo) more important when you can change weapons and use passives and utilities, but the first few levels are pretty much perfect for actually learning the weapon skills.

You're playing like you would play WoW, skill rotation and finding a button order without pauses doesn't really matter here I'd say.

With a staff mesmer, you basically rely on your 1 attack for actual damage, and you use your other skills to further enhance it (field, armor, etc) and support it (warlock). Try to keep your warlock alive by not summoning him as the first skill, and he will add more damage, you might even want to bring in a second one, but make sure the enemy's on you if possible so it's not for naught. Be sure not only the enemy, but you too are in the Chaos field. Hell, I'd say it's way more important that you are in. Use retreat to make your enemy busy with clones (pretty hard in the first few levels though, they don't really stay up that long).

Also, try other weapons :) But yeah, staff grants the most survivability in early levels, I'd say that, too.

Basically, with every class I know, skill "rotation" (or "spamming") isn't really the answer to having fun with gw2 fights. Learn what your attacks do, and try to make use of them, figure out how to interlock them and when to play them best. Of course this only gets (again, imo) more important when you can change weapons and use passives and utilities, but the first few levels are pretty much perfect for actually learning the weapon skills.
That would work if I could stay alone with just skill 1, but I can't if I'm trying to kill non-stop. I got a 10 sec skill 2 to gain distance and evade as well as 2 dodges but other than that I need my armor/storm for effects to survive (at least this early on).

HappyHunting

Neo Member
That would work if I could stay alone with just skill 1, but I can't if I'm trying to kill non-stop. I got a 10 sec skill 2 to gain distance and evade as well as 2 dodges but other than that I need my armor/storm for effects to survive (at least this early on).

I want to say that this happens with all spell casters in this game from 1-7. You may need to sit on some cooldowns/pause between fights. Like others have mentioned, as soon as you can get your weapon swap, you will be able to roll from enemy to enemy.

hythloday

Once you hit level 7, things will get a lot better.

I am pretty sure when I first started my mesmer I switched to a sword and pistol combo as soon as I tried them out. Once I could swap at level 7 I added a greatsword. I pretty much ignored staff, as awesome as it can be. Swords just felt right to me and I still mainly use them at 80.

oktarb

Once you hit level 7, things will get a lot better.

I am pretty sure when I first started my mesmer I switched to a sword and pistol combo as soon as I tried them out. Once I could swap at level 7 I added a greatsword. I pretty much ignored staff, as awesome as it can be. Swords just felt right to me and I still mainly use them at 80.

Solid advice. Everyone in the world tells me to use a great sword on my warrior. I prefer to quell their cries with my two axes. Don't worry too much about your skills and such right now, enjoy the scenery, learn the basics. Like every MMO you have a ways t go until you unlock everything. Try out the different weapons, use the one you like and other things will start to unlock. before you know it you'll be level 80 and have 3 or 4 build you like (and probably 3 or 4 alts as well :)

If you feel frustrated you might want to try a warrior, they're very straight forward in the beginning. Most of the caster classes take a bit of finesse at first.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What am I doing wrong?
I'm only level 3 right now
;)

In all seriousness, though, at THAT low a level you shouldn't really be concerned with finding an optimized anything or even worrying about how your skills work together. At level 7 you'll get weapon swapping, which is totally critical for a mesmer, and your utility skills are incredibly important as well. Finally, the nuances of shattering are deeply complex, and you literally won't have the full array of options to consider with regard to the mechanic until level 80.

What you want to focus on first are the core game mechanics- namely, at that level, dodging. The game doesn't force you to get good at doing so until much later- really, not until the first explorable dungeon. But mastering it early on will make the rest of your leveling experience much more enjoyable and give you a foundation for skilled play as you develop your build. And then one day, when you unlock the trait Deceptive Evasion, you'll feel OP as hell ;)

To answer your question about staff skills more seriously, you are definitely not using them in the most efficient order.

What you'll want to do is open with Chaos Storm- run up to your target so that you can position the AOE over both you and it at the same time. Chaos Storm gives you boons (good effects) and puts conditions (bad effects) on enemies, so it's always best used with both in mind. Then, while still in the field of Chaos Storm, use Phase Retreat, which is a Leap Combo Finisher, and watch what happens (edit: missed that you knew about the the combo already, ohhhh well.) :D Back off a bit further from the retreat (staff has a very long range) and summon your warlock, then another clone with retreat as soon as it's up- you want to have the three of you attacking the target, stacking conditions and keeping the enemy focused on your summons rather than you. Utilities you can unlock early on will help a lot with your clone production and survival. Use Chaos Armor the moment aggro turns back to you. Finally, don't shatter until your enemy is close to death and you can use it for the kill- early on, the distraction provided by your summons is way more beneficial than the shatter effects.

But really don't worry about getting that stuff down exactly as I described at level 4 :p Mesmer has a steep learning curve. You're going to be rallying from down state plenty of the time prior to level 20, and it'll be even further after that before you get a feel for where you want your build to go. Luckily, leveling in the game is very fast.

nataku

Distract them mobs with clones/phantasms. Try to keep a clone or phantasm between you and the mob and they'll usually go after those before you unless you start to take on more than one at a time.

Honestly, as bad of a weapon scepter is later in the game, it's great at the start because you can just constantly spawn clones, distracting enemies. Try that weapon out until you hit 7 and get weapon swap. Plus it gives you the change to get your secondary weapons and start unlocking those skills, (torch, focus, pistol, sword).

Kuraine

Neo Member
Hey guys, been lurking in this thread a bit, just wanted to say I'm really happy you've all been enjoying the dungeon. I did all the enemy and boss design for it, so seeing lots of positive comments totally makes my day.

Retro

Make sure when you finish Rox's chapter of Flame and Frost, you interrogate the prisoners in the Black Citadel. They have some... choice things to say. I'll spoil tag it and my speculation;

Something bigger is coming. The first prisoner says our (that is, the players) time is coming and we should prepare to die in their fires. He also mentions that the Molten Alliance doesn't fear the Elder Dragons, that they'll be around long after they've devoured the rest of us.

The second mentions that some "Fast talking friend from the city" arranged the deal, someone with a "Silver tongue", a "snake-nosed trickster".

We know from the dead drops that "Something pushed the Flame Legion and dredge together, but it wasn't desperation or minions of Primordus". What the hell could be strong enough to make them feel like they'll survive the Elder dragons? They don't mention Jormag either, maybe the 'Frost' part has yet to kick in?

Either way, I think we'll get more answers as the event wraps up.

Hey guys, been lurking in this thread a bit, just wanted to say I'm really happy you've all been enjoying the dungeon. I did all the enemy and boss design for it, so seeing lots of positive comments totally makes my day.

Hey, thanks for dropping in. You should join us in game too, you wouldn't be the first dev to do so.

As to the dungeon, great boss encounter. Looking forward to the continued dungeon revamps and future Fractals / Dungeons if these are the kind of encounters we can expect. Keep up the good work, you guys rock.

Levyne

Banned

Awesome. The final boss encounter especially is very memorable, the free group res for taking one of them down is pretty nice too.

The only thing that is a little weird is that the protector duders will often put their shield ring up as soon as you aggro them at range... and then proceed to walk out of the ring (to get to you). Communist moles ain't too bright!

Trey

Can't wait to play it for myself.

hythloday

You guys are awesome. Thank you for making a really fun game. I am having a blast playing GW2 with my husband (Retro).

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I'm having a ton of difficulty on my Engineer throwing grenades & dodging - and I think it has to do with me using a controller. Right thumb is used to aim with joystick and then also has to mash 1 button to throw nades. I might make a new setup just for playing my Engi, that makes it more like a FPS.

Ironically, the engineer community hates the flamethrower because it "always misses". Yet aiming with a joystick lets hit my target every time. I just don't like wearing leather armor and being that close to enemies. :(

Shambles

Been searching around but haven't been able to find the list of May monthly achievements. Anyone online now able to post them for me? I won't be home for quite some time.

Retro

Been searching around but haven't been able to find the list of May monthly achievements. Anyone online now able to post them for me? I won't be home for quite some time.

Any of the following 4:
Monthly WvW Player Kills: Kill 50 World Invaders
Monthly Event Participation: Complete 100 Events
Monthly Salvage Kit Usages: Salvage 500 Items
Monthly Completionist: Complete 4 Dailies
Veteran Slayer: Kill 100 Veterans
Fractal Frequenter: Complete 10 Fractals
Puzzle Jumper: Complete 12 Jumping Puzzles

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Monthly

Shambles

Any of the following 4:
Monthly WvW Player Kills: Kill 50 World Invaders
Monthly Event Participation: Complete 100 Events
Monthly Salvage Kit Usages: Salvage 500 Items
Monthly Completionist: Complete 4 Dailies
Veteran Slayer: Kill 100 Veterans
Fractal Frequenter: Complete 10 Fractals
Puzzle Jumper: Complete 12 Jumping Puzzles

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Monthly

I saw that but assumed it was still showing April since the last month listed in previous events was March.

oktarb

It is mine!

For not those on during the patch release you missed a funny story. I'm sitting there running the dungeon when I accidently hit O for the Black Lion Trading screen. I freak our cause there's 16000 gems in my account where I should have a whopping zero. So ya I'm wiggin out dreaming of all the possibilities but also seriously think its a glitch since the market had just been taken down. Someone that actually works for Anet in our guild was on (I'll keep them nameless, just not sure you want everyone knowing you work there) asked me about it and soon from what he said had the Customer Service team digging through digital coffers and probably filling out one too many trouble tickets.

I pretty much decided then and there not to spend them until it was sorted out so I kept running the dungeon while my mind whirled. Then I hear this giggling coming from the living room. My harlot trickster wife had logged on that morning and bought two of the mega gem packs for my birthday. Then she went back to bed and waited, much like a rattlesnake in a boot. Part of me was a little WTF?! 200 bucks! That's a lot of beer! but how mad can you really get.

So what you see is Tooth of Frostfang the precursor. And thanks to the unnamed for jumping in and helping even though is was all customer crazies :D

The dungeon is awesome. Ran it 4 times already with 3 different characters and it was crazy fun every time.

The boss fight is the best boss fight in game. It captures all the fun and complex things about Guild Wars 2 Combat.

Keep up the good work.

Anno

Awesome job, especially with the boss fight. Having a great time. Hope this is reflective of what we can expect in the future!

Retro

Awesome. The final boss encounter especially is very memorable, the free group res for taking one of them down is pretty nice too.
You guys are awesome. Thank you for making a really fun game. I am having a blast playing GW2 with my husband (Retro).
The dungeon is awesome. Ran it 4 times already with 3 different characters and it was crazy fun every time.

The boss fight is the best boss fight in game. It captures all the fun and complex things about Guild Wars 2 Combat.

Keep up the good work.
Awesome job, especially with the boss fight. Having a great time. Hope this is reflective of what we can expect in the future!
GAFGuild agrees:
cc3570768086ded94a9d0l4udf.gif

oktarb

The end fight is by far my favorite in the game. As I put it during my first run "This sucks in all the right ways." Too many bosses were push overs or didn't really require tactics. So I do have to ask: Is it intentional that the second boss goes to full health after downing the first? Seemed odd that we had both to about 10% health left, we downed one and then the other was back to full.

The first encounter is absolutely the most fun I've ever had in a boss fight while experiencing it for the first time. Absolutely awesome. Kudos!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom