• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

HappyHunting

Neo Member
Nah, they'll introduce new tiers of materials (and gathering tools) when an expansion rolls out, along with the level cap increase. I was commenting this to a fellow GAFGuilder, don't expect your pick to last forever.

Don't see this happening, especially with how Anet updates and provides content. The shop should stay 100% convenience.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Worth really varies from person to person. Considering each one is $10 each, it would take quite a bit of gathering to earn the value. But for some people $30 total (for all tools) isn't really a big purchase and like Hawkian, they want to contribute to the Dev as a reward for great content.
Er well, I spent gold on the pickaxe, not real $. But your point is valid!

oktarb

Value is in the eye of the beholder and well...the marketing gorillas. Some people collect and go bat shit over mini pets, other skins and some are conservative and just get account upgrades.

Cash markets in games are a slippery slope, EVE has an entire team of full blown market analysts to analyze market treads and how real world money affects the in game market place.

Anet obviously needs to keep the market place fresh in order to keep cash coming in the doors. At a certain point they cap out of selling the actual game and eventually an expansion bridges the next financial speed bump.

Player homes will offer a give change for them as they'll have market place home upgrades as well as in game quests for home improvements.

The only part of the current market that confuses me is the "silly" items. Bunny ears and top hats. It all seems out of character for the game but I guess that's why its town bound.

Value is in the eye of the beholder and well...the marketing gorillas. Some people collect and go bat shit over mini pets, other skins and some are conservative and just get account upgrades.

Cash markets in games are a slippery slope, EVE has an entire team of full blown market analysts to analyze market treads and how real world money affects the in game market place.

Anet obviously needs to keep the market place fresh in order to keep cash coming in the doors. At a certain point they cap out of selling the actual game and eventually an expansion bridges the next financial speed bump.

Player homes will offer a give change for them as they'll have market place home upgrades as well as in game quests for home improvements.

The only part of the current market that confuses me is the "silly" items. Bunny ears and top hats. It all seems out of character for the game but I guess that's why its town bound.

Expansions are an eventual guarantee. Level cap adjustments are another thing though. And the Town Clothes items were big in GW1, hence there appearance here.

That works against their policy of lateral progression though. They'd face a pretty big backlash from the players if they did that.

How is it any different than the original 1-80 leveling curve?

It's funny, because I've already had this conversation in the past; I told a couple of real-life friends of mine that they would raise the level cap when the expansion was rolled out, and they told me I was crazy, that doing that would invalidate all endgame content and they'd have to be crazy to do that. But then the Burning Crusade came, and level cap was indeed raised. :)

There's a huge difference between that and this, of course. GW2's endgame content does NOT become obsolete if the level cap is raised, much as leveling content (including dungeons) doesn't. There has never been a game where raising the level cap is more harmless than this.

Don't see this happening, especially with how Anet updates and provides content. The shop should stay 100% convenience.

I don't understand how what I said goes against the shop being 100% convenience. Or perhaps one of us has misunderstood the other? I'm a bit lost here. :D

How is it any different than the original 1-80 leveling curve?

It's funny, because I've already had this conversation in the past; I told a couple of real-life friends of mine that they would raise the level cap when the expansion was rolled out, and they told me I was crazy, that doing that would invalidate all endgame content and they'd have to be crazy to do that. But then the Burning Crusade came, and level cap was indeed raised. :)

There's a huge difference between that and this, of course. GW2's endgame content does NOT become obsolete if the level cap is raised, much as leveling content (including dungeons) doesn't. There has never been a game where raising the level cap is more harmless than this.

Raising the level cap means new mobs of higher level and most likely, new higher tiered gear. The introduction of Ascended already caused a decent sized negative stir and adding in more gear would likely require higher stat weapons as well.. which would destroy the value of Legendaries and piss off people to no end.

I can see expansions with new zones and new gear of the same stat level.. but not gear with any stats higher than what is currently expected with Ascended.

jersoc

Never having to worry about buying more and being able to mine EVERYTHING without worrying about running out mid gather or wasting your uses on shit that's not top tier mats is well worth it imho.

oric and mithril sell for a nice change on the TP. ancient wood is about 60c now. pretty much free. not worthing selling. i barely mine it unless i need a few more for the daily gathering.

some plants sell, but not worth it. the mining is by far way more worth it, imo. i dont even chop lower trees or plants. if i need them i'll just buy them

HappyHunting

Neo Member
i dun want my gear to become obsleet :'(

Anet would probably find a story driven way to push the older legendaries into the higher levels, through upgrades/re-forging. Each time you would want to do so you would need to complete a certain quest line... who knows.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That I'd be fine with, just not being forced to salvage them. Course I would prefer the level cap not be raised :p

edit: Oh, legendaries will always be best in slot. I don't think anything will be necessary for them. I was thinking exos/ascendeds.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
No differences in dialogue?
Not totally sure, but nothing jumped out.

Colin posted this about living story (bascially in response to a "why u make temp content"):
We’re trying something very unique and different with Gw2, and a lot of it plays back on the original ideas and concepts we had for the game all these years we’re trying to build towards and accomplish. It’s important to us to continue to try new things, looking at ways of evolving and innovating what a live game can be. In many cases, we’re learning right along with you guys how all of this is going to work for a live game, and constantly adjusting as we see the outcomes and find ways to innovate on what a true online world experience can be.

Living World is above all, the attempt to really give the sense the world is constantly changing and evolving. That there is events and content that change the world in the short term (like our current events) and events that can occur or change for the long term, which is what we’re slowly building towards in the future with Living World content.

Living world absolutely does not mean nothing but content that comes in and leaves again a few weeks later, and though so far that’s primarily what you’ve seen, it’s not all we will do in the future. The intent is living world provides us with a story and narrative experience, sort of like your favorite TV show, to constantly update and change the world and provide unique and exciting rewards on a regular basis.

We might have events that occur and came back again with a few modifications in the future. We may have events that occur and then find new homes permanently down the road. We may have bosses from a storyline that continue on forever as guild bounty hunts when a story completes. Living world also allows us the opportunity to upgrade and make parts of our existing game better permanently, a living world narrative could allow us to rebuild and change an existing zone or dungeon, or could destroy one entirely.

Our goal is to get to a point where on a regular basis, the world around you is not only changing in the short term through our normal event system, it’s changing and evolving permanently through our living world releases as well. What you’ve seen so far is primarily some tests and warmup stuff while we in the background organize the company to support this exciting future for our game, the future for living world is filled with endless possibilities.

Enjoy the ride!
Really lines up with the interpretations of a lot of people in this thread. Hell Lunar just mentioned the TV thing last page.

The bit about characters from LS winding up as bounties is pretty damn clever. Somebody already suggested making the Weapons Engineer (the one from the miniboss fight in the molten facility) a bounty that uses pocket versions of the weapons from the dungeon.

Gchat said the dialogue slightly differed in the beginning.

Also per the official forum about an hour ago:

Colin Johanson said:
This sums it up pretty well:

“We have no plans do add higher tiers right now, nor are we working on it. We cannot guarantee we will never add tiers, but it is currently not being worked on or considered”

=)

Raising the level cap means new mobs of higher level and most likely, new higher tiered gear. The introduction of Ascended already caused a decent sized negative stir and adding in more gear would likely require higher stat weapons as well..

The very fact that they added Ascended items without even raising the level cap should tell you right there that even they understand that no MMO can survive without at least some way of temporal progression. Much as GW2 is not centered about a gear treadmill, they know that for many, the incentive to keep playing is getting better gear. It's not all black and white.

which would destroy the value of Legendaries and piss off people to no end.

Legendaries are automatically raised to best-in-slot. They've officially confirmed it, in fact; when Ascended items are introduced (not if, when; again, ponder what that means) Legendaries will be raised to their level.

I can see expansions with new zones and new gear of the same stat level.. but not gear with any stats higher than what is currently expected with Ascended.

The cool thing about NeoGAF is that its posts are kept pretty much forever, so one or two years from now, we'll see who was right. :) But ask yourself how the evils you mention stack up to making the entirety of high-level dungeons and raids obsolete as happened in WoW, and compare it to what happened there. Content becoming obsolete is a law of life on MMOs, there's no fighting it.

Retro

But ask yourself how the evils you mention stack up to making the entirety of high-level dungeons and raids obsolete as happened in WoW, and compare it to what happened there. Content becoming obsolete is a law of life on MMOs, there's no fighting it.

WoW didn't scale players up or down to match the intended level of the content either. I can see them adding additional paths to the existing dungeons, Fractals, revamping zones to reflect the Living Story, etc. for years to come.

The very fact that they added Ascended items without even raising the level cap should tell you right there that even they understand that no MMO can survive without at least some way of temporal progression. Much as GW2 is not centered about a gear treadmill, they know that for many, the incentive to keep playing is getting better gear. It's not all black and white.

The MMO status quo isn't a strong argument when Anet is concerned seeing as how they're bucking the trend in almost every way. Also Ascended items were added to facilitate Agony and Agony resistance. It was easier to simply create new items than it would be to add AR to existing items. It also provided the players with something to earn by progressing through Fractals.

Fractals were only added to appease the "I need dungeon progression" crowd and it's been a very minimal change in that regard.

Legendaries are automatically raised to best-in-slot. They've officially confirmed it, in fact; when Ascended items are introduced (not if, when; again, ponder what that means) Legendaries will be raised to their level.

The argument isn't about Ascended as that Tier is already in the game. Also, adding a new tier of materials would mean the ability to craft Ascended.. which would conflict with the ideal of earning through gameplay progression. The only way crafting could be used would be if the crafted items were Soulbound or Accountbound and the crafting materials only available in Fractals or through Daily/Monthly acquisition. However they'd still have to contend with specific Professions being needed to craft gear for your class. It's a lot of changes that really aren't necessary and would just add to complaints. I see the future of Ascended as continuing as is.. being earned, not crafted. And I don't see a higher tier than Ascended being introduced but rather, each slot being added over time.

The cool thing about NeoGAF is that its posts are kept pretty much forever, so one or two years from now, we'll see who was right. :) But ask yourself how the evils you mention stack up to making the entirety of high-level dungeons and raids obsolete as happened in WoW, and compare it to what happened there. Content becoming obsolete is a law of life on MMOs, there's no fighting it.

Again, you can't compare it to WoW because it's design philosophy is specifically to be different from WoW. Fractals will be an ongoing experience to satisfy those who want that "raid progression" feel. This is why the Fractal dungeons are varied and why they will add new dungeons into the mix in addition to cranking up the Agony and Mechanics as players ascend through the levels.

To further support my argument I point you to the quote I posted just above your reply. But I'll link it here instead.

Re new tiers of nodes:
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Molten-Alliance-Pick-Sickle-and-Logging-Axe/1949758

And to support my statement of Fractals being continually added to:
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Official-explanation-for-temporary-content/1950221

As for "we'll see one or two years from now," that's a pretty open ended qualifier that benefits only wild speculation as so long as the game is alive, there's always a possibility of X change. By that logic I could make the claim that mounts will eventually be added somewhere down the line. Yet we know that Anets stance is currently No Mounts.

Anet has said officially that there are no new tiers planned or being worked on. That statement was made today. So your thoughts on vertical progression are unsupported.

Retro

Jira mentioned this comment from Colin in Mumble, thought it was worth sharing;

Colin Johanson said:
When I said we could update or change an existing dungeon, updating fractals in the future is one of the options that’s fully possible yes. And of course since fractals lets us experience moments trapped in time….it’s entirely possible some content may make its way there as part of a living world update. (source)

The Molten Weapon Facility could easily be converted into a fractal by removing some of the trash and reducing their difficulty (silver elities become vets, vets become regular mobs) and removing the drill section to speed it up.

Edit: Huh, we linked the same comment at the same time.

Piecake

So, how has engineer class been doing recently? Any cool changes? Probably won't hop back on and play, but I just played my little engineer for so long that It'd be nice to see how the class is doing ;)

Ashodin

JIF CAMMMMMMMMMM

ibnDQ2lxnDkzHg.gif

Jonesy Au

Neo Member
Long time lurker, first time poster here. I've been following this thread for awhile now and just got my first character to level 80 and I'm looking to try out some dungeons as well as joining a nice social guild. I have tried running couple of PUGs for dungeons and having people dropping out and such isn't a fun experience.

If I could possibly get an invite that would be very appreciated.

My in game name is Jonesy Au.1374

HappyHunting

Neo Member
Welcome Jonesy!

How does that actually work, is it just showing you their most recent logged-in character...?

More me just skimming the last 3 days to see the active players while I was on. Which came out to 3 including myself twice ;).

Nothing scientific, just observation that cooberates forum posts I see on the guild wars site and general opinion of the profession.

Which honestly makes me want to play the job even more.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
More me just skimming the last 3 days to see the active players while I was on. Which came out to 3 including myself twice ;).

Nothing scientific, just observation that cooberates forum posts I see on the guild wars site and general opinion of the profession.

Which honestly makes me want to play the job even more.

Necro is a lot of fun, but unfortunately it shines the most when there are a ton of enemies (spreading conditions with Epidemic is ridiculous). I stopped playing mine because the hardest content is usually solo boss fights, and if there was another person laying down conditions, my damage was capped.

Also, my inability to do good damage to inanimate objects made me feel useless. Death Shroud is great fun though.

Taffer

Also, my inability to do good damage to inanimate objects made me feel useless.

I really can't wait for this particular fix, they've already said it's coming which just makes the waiting worse. Just after they re-tuned Orr I was doing the 'Defend Pact Tactician Megill from the Risen' event after GAF stomped Rotbeard, all was well until one of the enemy waves turned out to be three Rotmouths. It took longer to do that wave than the two previous waves of lovely condition-prone Risen. Did that, quick detour to rescue a dead Hawkian that was nearby, went back and killed some more Risen, final wave was more Rotmouths.

Lunar15

I just found out that you get additional dialogue from Consortium members if you completed the Lost Shores.

However, I'm not getting these, and I absolutely completed The Lost Shores. The extra dialogue goes a little deeper into Canach, and how the consortium has disowned him, as well as a little flavor where Subdirector Noll really hates you.

Kinda sad I'm missing out on that.

Anno

I like my necro, but the play just seems sooooo much slower than my guardian. Probably doesn't help that he's charr and I mostly use a staff. Really interested to see what this new DoT condition they'll be getting is.

The MMO status quo isn't a strong argument when Anet is concerned seeing as how they're bucking the trend in almost every way. Also Ascended items were added to facilitate Agony and Agony resistance. It was easier to simply create new items than it would be to add AR to existing items. It also provided the players with something to earn by progressing through Fractals.

Fractals were only added to appease the "I need dungeon progression" crowd and it's been a very minimal change in that regard.

I can't wrap my head around the fact you understand the bolded and not realize how a much more numerous crowd will demand progression through further expansions. You seem to think this instance of progression is an isolated, once upon a lifetime occurrence, a mistake that ArenaNet "have learned their lesson" about and won't ever do it again. I hope you're not offended, but I can't parse that as anything but denial. :/

The argument isn't about Ascended as that Tier is already in the game. Also, adding a new tier of materials would mean the ability to craft Ascended..

Of course not! A new tier of materials would mean the ability to craft Blues to Oranges of level 81-90! Perhaps you misunderstood (or I miscomunicated, although "tier" is the exact term used in the Wiki) "new tier of materials"? I didn't mean rarity, I meant level, i.e. Jute -> Wool -> Cotton, and so on. In other words, moving from Orichalcum to another type of ore, found in the new zones and used to craft 81-90 equipment.

I'm skipping the rest since it all builds up from there. Let me know if we're on the same page.

To further support my argument I point you to the quote I posted just above your reply. But I'll link it here instead.
Re new tiers of nodes:
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Molten-Alliance-Pick-Sickle-and-Logging-Axe/1949758

How does "we have no plan either way" (especially when he himself is requoting an user as a joke) support your argument? Especially when they've also said they have "no current plans" of an expansion, i.e. the exact same wording. :D

As for "we'll see one or two years from now," that's a pretty open ended qualifier that benefits only wild speculation as so long as the game is alive, there's always a possibility of X change. By that logic I could make the claim that mounts will eventually be added somewhere down the line. Yet we know that Anets stance is currently No Mounts.

Let me rephrase. "We'll see the instant the new expansion is released". Is that closed ended enough?

Anet has said officially that there are no new tiers planned or being worked on. That statement was made today. So your thoughts on vertical progression are unsupported.

Again, I'm not sure if you missed that, but a poster there said:

You won’t get a dev response confirming, the response you will get is “We have no plans do add higher tiers right now, nor are we working on it. We cannot guarantee we will never add tiers, but it is currently not being worked on or considered.”

Then ArenaNet quoted him and replied:

“We have no plans do add higher tiers right now, nor are we working on it. We cannot guarantee we will never add tiers, but it is currently not being worked on or considered”
=)

Not only the response uses the exact same wording about there not being plans either way than their current stance towards an expansion (which I think all of us realize is coming, right?), but the wording itself is a smiley-appended requoting of a previous poster. Reading meaning that isn't there, into the wording that isn't theirs, in a post that is rather tongue-in-cheek, seems like confirmation bias.

But really, this discussion is fruitless. We will not know either way until the expansion rolls out, and by then it will be proven without a shadow of a doubt. Let's just leave it at that.

WoW didn't scale players up or down to match the intended level of the content either. I can see them adding additional paths to the existing dungeons, Fractals, revamping zones to reflect the Living Story, etc. for years to come.

Excellent point, tying back to what I was saying earlier: In WoW adding a new tier of content mean making the previous one obsolete. In GW2 that doesn't happen, it's all additive. This means they have even MORE of an incentive to increase the level cap, and virtually zero reason to avoid it.
(My wording was inaccurate; I said "obsoleting" as shorthand for "adding new content that makes the previous highest tier not highest tier anymore". In all other MMOs both are synonimous; not so in GW2, which is kind of the entire point. :) )

I really can't wait for this particular fix, they've already said it's coming which just makes the waiting worse. Just after they re-tuned Orr I was doing the 'Defend Pact Tactician Megill from the Risen' event after GAF stomped Rotbeard, all was well until one of the enemy waves turned out to be three Rotmouths. It took longer to do that wave than the two previous waves of lovely condition-prone Risen. Did that, quick detour to rescue a dead Hawkian that was nearby, went back and killed some more Risen, final wave was more Rotmouths.

I had no clue they were going to add conditions to inanimate objects, that's really awesome! It will be a bit weird seeing objects "poisoned" and "bleeding" (unless they're smart and rename them to something equivalent, of course), but ah well. :D

oktarb

I love my necro a ton. I really only bounce between Garg the axe wielding maniac Warrior and my Insidiously evil-cute necro. As opposed to my Elementalist there are fewer F1-F4 options which I actually like. My necro is Well specced so there are great damage and group options always available without having to respec, unlike my warrior. I just need to get Rabid armor for her as her survivability is slightly lower than I like.

I can't wrap my head around the fact you understand the bolded and not realize how a much more numerous crowd will demand progression through further expansions. You seem to think this instance of progression is an isolated, once upon a lifetime occurrence, a mistake that ArenaNet "have learned their lesson" about and won't ever do it again. I hope you're not offended, but I can't parse that as anything but pretty strong denial.

It's not denial at all. GW2 players are different. Only a fraction of the population participates in fractals (judging by our own Guild members stating how difficult it is to find groups for them compared to finding groups for other content). Anet didn't put Fractals in to please the playerbase as a whole.. just to quell the few who wanted vertical progression. The game was always billed as having no vertical progression and as such most of the population expected that and desired that. They're not going to turn away people who feel different but they're certainly not going to shift their entire design to appease those players. They simply threw them a bone.

Of course not! A new tier of materials would mean the ability to craft Blues to Oranges of level 81-90! Perhaps you misunderstood (or I miscomunicated, although "tier" is the exact term used in the Wiki) "new tier of materials"? I didn't mean rarity, I meant level, i.e. Jute -> Wool -> Cotton, and so on. In other words, moving from Orichalcum to another type of ore, found in the new zones and used to craft 81-90 equipment.

I'm skipping the rest since it all builds up from there. Let me know if we're on the same page.

A new "level" of materials would be a new tier. If it creates a higher stat item, it's a new tier. Seeing as how I don't believe they'll introduce higher stat items than Ascended, I don't think they'll add a new tier. They'll add sidegrade materials. Like they've done with the azurite.

How does "we have no plan either way" (especially when he himself is requoting an user as a joke) support your argument? Especially when they've also said they have "no current plans" of an expansion, i.e. the exact same wording. :D

March 3rd of this year:
Colin Johanson said:
Expansions are definitely something that we'll potentially look at in the future," game director Colin Johanson told IGN. "We don't have a timetable on it. We're open to it, but I think our major focus as a studio is making the living world concept as strong as we possibly can for the players that we've got."

Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03/05/arenanet-not-planning-guild-wars-2-expansions-or-sequels/

That's FAR from the exact same wording. Anet acknowledges expansions and the idea of one though they're not working on one now. On the other hand they deny even having plans for future tiers of gear.

Let me rephrase. "We'll see the instant the new expansion is released". Is that closed ended enough?

Sure.

Again, I'm not sure if you missed that, but a poster there said:

You won’t get a dev response confirming, the response you will get is “We have no plans do add higher tiers right now, nor are we working on it. We cannot guarantee we will never add tiers, but it is currently not being worked on or considered.”

Then ArenaNet quoted him and replied:

=)

Not only the response uses the exact same wording about there not being plans either way than their current stance towards an expansion (which I think all of us realize is coming, right?), but the wording itself is a smiley-appended requoting of a previous poster. Reading meaning that isn't there, into the wording that isn't theirs, in a post that is rather tongue-in-cheek, is the epitome of confirmation bias.

Actually, for all your in-depth analysis of a quick fun response... that's just the way that Colin talks. He's having fun with the fact that the players know Anet's stance on things like "When it's ready." You're reading between the lines of a tongue in cheek response to get out of it what you want. I'm taking the statement at face value. That's the difference in our interpretation.

Jira

I don't want to get into hyperbole here, but has there ever been a game that attempted anything like what Guild Wars 2 is doing? I mean, the idea of having an evolving and non-permanent storyline in a game. It's almost like a TV series. I think if they tighten up the writing a little more, and maybe give us some more to chew on, it would be downright revolutionary in terms of game narrative.

It just seems so radical from anything I've ever thought of having in a game. Sure, execution is wonky sometimes, but the most recent update blew my socks off. It's kind of sad to me that the game doesn't get much mention in most gaming news outlets. I know the game isn't for everyone, but the ideas it has for what you can do with story and content in a persistent world is pretty fascinating.

Asheron's Call is the only other MMO that I'm aware of to do monthly story updates with content. Granted what ANet has put in was/is far more complex than what Turbine was doing over a decade ago.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Excellent point, tying back to what I was saying earlier: In WoW adding a new tier of content mean making the previous one obsolete. In GW2 that doesn't happen, it's all additive. This means they have even MORE of an incentive to increase the level cap, and virtually zero reason to avoid it.
I don't want my gear to become obsolete :(q
It's not denial at all. GW2 players are different. Only a fraction of the population participates in fractals (judging by our own Guild members stating how difficult it is to find groups for them compared to finding groups for other content). Anet didn't put Fractals in to please the playerbase as a whole.. just to quell the few who wanted vertical progression. The game was always billed as having no vertical progression and as such most of the population expected that and desired that. They're not going to turn away people who feel different but they're certainly not going to shift their entire design to appease those players. They simply threw them a bone.
I take issue with that! Lots of people love the crap out of fractals, myself included, who have no yen whatsoever for treadmill-style vertical progression. To clarify, I'd say Fractals were added to the game because they're fuck-awesome new content; the ability to continuously play them with a nigh-infinite difficulty ceiling through tiered progression was the "throwing a bone" toward the type of players you describe.

Ideal for me:

-More fractals (everyone yay!)
-Raised Fractal level ceiling (vertical progression people yay!)
-New kinds of replayable content (everyone yay!)
-More replayable content that itself has optional internal progression (vertical progression people yay!)
-No raised level cap (vertical progression people boo, everyone else yay)

We'll see how it goes!

I don't want my gear to become obsolete :(q

I take issue with that! Lots of people love the crap out of fractals, myself included, who have no yen whatsoever for treadmill-style vertical progression. To clarify, I'd say Fractals were added to the game because they're fuck-awesome new content; the ability to continuously play them with a nigh-infinite difficulty ceiling through tiered progression was the "throwing a bone" toward the type of players you describe.

Ideal for me:

-More fractals (everyone yay!)
-Raised Fractal level ceiling (vertical progression people yay!)
-New kinds of replayable content (everyone yay!)
-More replayable content that itself has optional internal progression (vertical progression people yay!)
-No raised level cap (vertical progression people boo, everyone else yay)

We'll see how it goes!

Haha I had a feeling I'd get your goat with that one. I'm not saying that non-vertical progression types don't like it but that the reason it was implemented in the fashion that it is, was to appease the vertical progression types. Fractals were likely planned all along but without the stat boost initially.

Jira

Haha I had a feeling I'd get your goat with that one. I'm not saying that non-vertical progression types don't like it but that the reason it was implemented in the fashion that it is, was to appease the vertical progression types. Fractals were likely planned all along but without the stat boost initially.

Well Ascended gear was supposed to be there at launch, they just didn't get around to it in time so it's hard to say.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Of course the "in the fashion that it is" part is accurate, I'm just recognizing that you didn't say that... you used two kind of faulty premises:

1) Only a fraction of the population participates in fractals <- this is true of literally every type of content in the game. There is a segment of the playerbase that never leaves the Mists, let alone participates in any particular type of PvE instance. I think what you were trying to say it was that it was an inordinately unpopular dungeon, using the anecdotal evidence of our guild, but it should be obvious why that's a bad idea. A quick jaunt to gw2lfg indicates that it's the second most popular dungeon in the game, and in fact only loses to CoF by 3 listings at the moment.

2) Anet didn't put Fractals in to please the playerbase as a whole <- that's different than saying "Anet didn't implement Fractal level scaling to please the playerbase as a whole," a sentiment I would wholeheartedly agree with. I mean, sure, adding new content isn't ever going to please the entire in-game population, but it's added to please as many players as possible and that was the case with Fractals too.

On a lesser note, I find the stat boost wholly irrelevant and could take it or leave it with regard to whether or not it was planned... but I'd be hard pressed to say that Agony wasn't part of the intended design of Fractals from the beginning. But the beauty of the whole thing is that you can literally experience every Fractal from start to finish (albeit not the most mechanically complex version of each) without any Agony Resistance.

Taffer

I had no clue they were going to add conditions to inanimate objects, that's really awesome! It will be a bit weird seeing objects "poisoned" and "bleeding" (unless they're smart and rename them to something equivalent, of course), but ah well. :D

I don't know if that's what'll happen, just that condition damage being awful against structures was something they're looking at.

Complistic

Someone here had a good idea. Just covert all conditions (except burning and chilled maybe?) into a new condition called disrepair or something for buildings. Make it slightly stronger than bleeding.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Chilled would be pretty worthless against structures anyway, I don't think they use skills :p But yeah a universal DOT sounds good.

So apparently there will be 5 more facility entrances for us to explodify before this Molten Weapon business is through.

Complistic

wow, i had no idea what chilled did until I just now googled it lol. The snow storm fractal made me think it did damage. I'd be pro burning and vulnerability then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom