• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarcasm

Can anyone give me any guardian tips? I seem to do crap DPS and can't take any damage.

I tried out PvP but its all kind of just zerg from what I seen through my many tries..abit I don't understand what to do on my personal level but I thought followng the group would teach me lol.

Billen

Banned
Today I saw the first movie where GW 2 looked interesting. The fact that drew me in was that I say that he could move close to combat, get an overview and it felt somewhat tactical.

The movie (that I paused just after having started it) is found here.

Granted, I haven't seen much since all the movies I saw where just chaotic messy special effects mayhem. Anyone have any recommendations on good GW2 movies?

Ken

Can anyone give me any guardian tips? I seem to do crap DPS and can't take any damage.

I tried out PvP but its all kind of just zerg from what I seen through my many tries..abit I don't understand what to do on my personal level but I thought followng the group would teach me lol.

PvE: Get a Greatsword. You get a AoE blind, a pull/interrupt, and nice DPS off your spin-to-win. You also get some Retaliation off 2.

The best thing a guardian can do in WvW is use the Warhammer 5 ability to lock one helpless opponent with multiple of your people in a circle they cant get out of. It owns just for how terrible it is to do. :lol

Ken

The default Sylvari male for thief is pretty cool...but then those are some terrible hair options.

The leaf undies also make it hard to take the Sylvari seriously.

The voice of my male character in this game is the same as the voice of the male character I had in SW:TOR and it bugs the shit out of me.

You guys better not burn out on this game before I even reach 80. I wish I could have done the dungeon runs yesterday ... but 16 is not going to cut it lol.

Vossler

Almost to 70, should hit it today finally. Ran some DE's in straits, it definitely is a karma factory....should hit 80 by this weekend, and then it's time to do all my story mode dungeons. We using gafguild to set those up? (dungeon parties)

Achtius

death to detha tremblebone

Did you kill kohler? Kinda weird that it is still bugging especially when it is said to be fixed in the patch note .

gw358.jpg

Also I keep getting teleported underneath the dungeon when I was bait for the trap section. Happened 3 times.

Almost to 70, should hit it today finally. Ran some DE's in straits, it definitely is a karma factory....should hit 80 by this weekend, and then it's time to do all my story mode dungeons. We using gafguild to set those up? (dungeon parties)
you missed out the fun yesterday. got my ghastly sword from it too.

You guys better not burn out on this game before I even reach 80. I wish I could have done the dungeon runs yesterday ... but 16 is not going to cut it lol.

I have a RL friend that needs to do the story mode dungeons...all the way from AC to HotW...let me know when you want to start them up.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Did you kill kohler? Kinda weird that it is still bugging especially when it is said to be fixed in the patch note .

Also I keep getting teleported underneath the dungeon when I was bait for the trap section. Happened 3 times.
We massacred him. One death and only one or two downs; we had two mesmers :p

BurningNad

I know. I mained a Consular in TOR, and then a human male thief here. Having that same voice almost made me start a different character.
Same here... Devs need to look away from Nolan North for a while... Or at least have him use one of the other many voices he can do (thank you Rocksteady) instead of putting Nathan Drake in every game.

Desaan

I'm surprised if Nolan North and Jennifer Hale DON'T do voice overs in new games these days. Those two must be perma chained to a studio microphone.

Since the lady of the house and our best bud don't appear they will ever be interested in this game, and it's hard for me to hold interest in an MMO without them around, I just haven't played like I thought I would. Really want to do more, but they've dragged me off to Pandaland for the forseeable future.

Hate to say it, but I haven't bothered poking my head in here for a bit because the mild bickering for a while there turned me off a bit. That said, how's this game treating everyone? Anyone sick of it yet? Anyone still thrilled to pieces? I take it WvW is the only real endgame?

My Asura is so darn cheeky.

Your Asura's face is the exact reason I tried to get the name Nightmare Fuel (to no avail). No offense!

Also...

http://i.minus.com/ibfxavmYCQz4fP.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

And yet I find this cute...

I'm slow as molasses but even i made it to 21 already ;P

Ah it sucks no longer having the time needed to keep up anymore :( wish i could play more but it's just not possible...

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Same. :D Had my first fight without getting downed against Kholer last night. Felt awesome. I hope we do more races. :)

The second time I fought him I didn't go down. It's so rewarding to dodge his attacks and to get him in a fight without his goons. The first time I fought him it took about an hour and a half with a cave troll's help so it was a marked improvement haha

Vossler

Can we possibly setup an AC explore run for tomorrow night? I'd like to take part, as I am sitting at 300 sweet, sweet, Ascalonian tears and will have all night tomorrow to grab some more....I know achtius will be down, others?

I have a RL friend that needs to do the story mode dungeons...all the way from AC to HotW...let me know when you want to start them up.

Cool, I definitely will!

I'm slow as molasses but even i made it to 21 already ;P

Ah it sucks no longer having the time needed to keep up anymore :( wish i could play more but it's just not possible...

Yeah, just horrible timing on my part. The game launched and the next two weeks I was on vacation out of the country, come back and my family was in town and stayed most of the week. So of about a month being launched I've had about a week of actual play.

Not to mention I ditched a lvl 16 Warrior and started a Guardian!

I'm just hoping people still have incentive to run these dungeons once I'm able to.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Can we possibly setup an AC explore run for tomorrow night? I'd like to take part, as I am sitting at 300 sweet, sweet, Ascalonian tears and will have all night tomorrow to grab some more....I know achtius will be down, others?
Yes. Still trying to decide what would be an appropriate prize from that dungeon... maybe a ghastly torch for my mesmer.

I vowed to not spend any real money with this game (except for buying it of course) but now i find that my bank slot is pretty limited and full, how do you guys do it to get more gems?

You can buy them with in game money but that is pretty insane long term isn't it?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I vowed to not spend any real money with this game (except for buying it of course) but now i find that my bank slot is pretty limited and full, how do you guys do it to get more gems?

You can buy them with in game money but that is pretty insane long term isn't it?
Not at all. I've already bought an inventory bag slot and some black lion keys by buying gems with gold. I have enough for another bag slot and a bank slot if I wanted to spend it.

edit: Weird thing is that means I could buy a character slot. Are there a lot of games that let you do that?

Hoo-doo

Banned
I haven't logged in in over a week now. I kind of feel bad.

There's just not enough to really "hook" me like other MMO's did. But I guess that's perfectly fine with the kind of pricing model GW2 offers. If I have more free time next week i'm definitely getting back into the mix.

inky

I've bought 3 bank slots and 3 character slots with in game gold (and still have 800 gems left). I don't know what the current gold>gem rate is, but if you play consistently it shouldn't be hard to get gems for stuff like that. In fact, I consider it a must.

I haven't logged in in over a week now. I kind of feel bad.

There's just not enough to really "hook" me like other MMO's did.

Same deal. I'll try to get a new character to 80 once more stuff is fixed.

Shambles

Once you start getting into the higher levels the money starts coming in way faster. I've bought two bank upgrades so far. The gem price seems to always be consistently climbing though so who knows how long buying bank slots will be viable for. I've forgone buying my training manuals to get bank slots in case the gem price keeps going up.

Sarcasm

PvE: Get a Greatsword. You get a AoE blind, a pull/interrupt, and nice DPS off your spin-to-win. You also get some Retaliation off 2.

I barely play this game, is the longsword weapon you get from story quest not a greatsword correct?

Once you start getting into the higher levels the money starts coming in way faster. I've bought two bank upgrades so far. The gem price seems to always be consistently climbing though so who knows how long buying bank slots will be viable for. I've forgone buying my training manuals to get bank slots in case the gem price keeps going up.

ok must be a level thing then... i currently have like 20 silver at level 21 and kinda struggling but i guess it will come in time then!

Shambles

ok must be a level thing then... i currently have like 20 silver at level 21 and kinda struggling but i guess it will come in time then!

And by higher level I mean being in higher level areas. Even though stuff scales in the game if you're doing level 10 events you're getting level 10 money for them so it's generally best to be in as high of an area as possible if you're looking to grab cash. Level 60ish hearts are netting me nearly 3 silver each.

I'm playing a Mesmer right now and I don't find myself using the profession-specific abilities at all. My clones are basically my meatshield and I don't like destroying all of them just for some damage/conditions.

I think the staff is my favourite weapon right now. Two cloning skills with low cooldowns, a shield, and an AoE. The greatsword is great too.

lifa-cobex

Kinda confused on why I need money atm
I have a lvl 20 thief and everything I use ( armor and weapons wise) are ether drops or prizes. The only stuff I do buy is with the karma points thing.

The general vendors have nothing.
Do the weapons and armor vendors get and good gear later on?

Kinda confused on why I need money atm
I have a lvl 20 thief and everything I use ( armor and weapons wise) are ether drops or prizes. The only stuff I do buy is with the karma points thing.

The general vendors have nothing.
Do the weapons and armor vendors get and good gear later on?

Repairs and buying stuff off auction house. If your going to do lot of crafting and want to load up on mats, prepare to dumb a ton of money unless you grind alot of the mats out yourself.

lifa-cobex

Repairs and buying stuff off auction house. If your going to do lot of crafting and want to load up on mats, prepare to dumb a ton of money unless you grind alot of the mats out yourself.

haven't got into crafting yet. Would you recommend it for armor and weapons or is it just a money maker?

pyrandes

I'm playing a Mesmer right now and I don't find myself using the profession-specific abilities at all. My clones are basically my meatshield and I don't like destroying all of them just for some damage/conditions.

I think the staff is my favourite weapon right now. Two cloning skills with low cooldowns, a shield, and an AoE. The greatsword is great too.

Regular clones are just that, meat shields to use as fodder. If youre using Staff 4 (iWarlock in this case, but any weapon's 4skill applies for phantasms), you wouldnt want to shatter anyways. Instead, you'll want to build around the idea of the iWarlock's ability to nuke harder as conditions pile on a mob (here's where Chaos Storm and Chaos Shield are useful as long as the mob stays put). In addition, you may want to trait to have your clones apply a random condition when killed (either from a mob or yourself overwriting it with another clone).

One of my builds was going off of this idea, tho it was lacking some synergistic details. Ill prob tweak it tonite, due to my current build being too much of a glass cannon for my tastes, which maybe ok for dungeon crawling. Hopefully I get to try it out tonite before I switch it around.

pablito

would be nice to get some arah explore modes together this weekend. it's nearly impossible with a pug without some kind of voice chat lol.

And by higher level I mean being in higher level areas. Even though stuff scales in the game if you're doing level 10 events you're getting level 10 money for them so it's generally best to be in as high of an area as possible if you're looking to grab cash. Level 60ish hearts are netting me nearly 3 silver each.

Really? So truthfully there is no reason for a higher level to explore lower zones?

Seems an odd decision. I understand certain things like resource nodes but it seems like XP, drops, and money should equate to your actual level. I thought that was the whole point of level scaling. You could go to another starting zone and not feel like you're just doing it for a map completion.

Arcteryx

So I come back to the game after a couple days off..."The account name or password you entered is invalid"...hop onto the email I used for it and sure enough someone from Scranton, PA tried to access my account a couple days ago.

ANet has no phone support, no livechat(only "occasionally"), and I can't find a way to reset my password without actually going into account management(which is impossible now that the dick who took my account already changed the password)...

sigh. I'm going to rage so ****ing hard if my chars/shit is gone(because I know ANet won't do shit about it).

Shambles

Really? So truthfully there is no reason for a higher level to explore lower zones?

Seems an odd decision. I understand certain things like resource nodes but it seems like XP, drops, and money should equate to your actual level. I thought that was the whole point of level scaling. You could go to another starting zone and not feel like you're just doing it for a map completion.

I haven't taken a good look but I think that you still get full experience, possibly even karma? Your money rewards are crap and all the nodes are worthless as your craft has far surpassed the use of them. Unless you're playing with a lower level friend, or trying to 100% there's really no reason to be in a lower level area still. Every area is worth checking out though just to see them, just don't try to do your leveling there.

So I come back to the game after a couple days off..."The account name or password you entered is invalid"...hop onto the email I used for it and sure enough someone from Scranton, PA tried to access my account a couple days ago.

ANet has no phone support, no livechat(only "occasionally"), and I can't find a way to reset my password without actually going into account management(which is impossible now that the dick who took my account already changed the password)...

sigh. I'm going to rage so ****ing hard if my chars/shit is gone(because I know ANet won't do shit about it).

That blows. Just for curiosity was your old password the same email/password combination you've used for another service?

Arcteryx

I haven't taken a good look but I think that you still get full experience, possibly even karma? Your money rewards are crap and all the nodes are worthless as your craft has far surpassed the use of them. Unless you're playing with a lower level friend, or trying to 100% there's really no reason to be in a lower level area still. Every area is worth checking out though just to see them, just don't try to do your leveling there.

That blows. Just for curiosity was your old password the same email/password combination you've used for another service?

Nope, I was going to edit my original post and say that, but I basically create a new email account as a one-use, and have it forwarded to my main. Totally different pass and everything(even the "forum"/game name on GuildWars2.com was unique).

The weird thing is, all I got email wise is that someone tried to log-in. No further emails about changing the account details at all from ANet. Pretty subpar security on their behalf :|. I would at least expect an email saying "are you sure you want to change your password/email authentication?"...but nope.

Giard

Same here. Why should I shatter my iDuelists when they give me good damage and constant regeneration and protection?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Nope, I was going to edit my original post and say that, but I basically create a new email account as a one-use, and have it forwarded to my main. Totally different pass and everything(even the "forum"/game name on GuildWars2.com was unique).

The weird thing is, all I got email wise is that someone tried to log-in. No further emails about changing the account details at all from ANet. Pretty subpar security on their behalf :|. I would at least expect an email saying "are you sure you want to change your password/email authentication?"...but nope.

Sorry to hear about that man.

I really hope they roll out that google 2-step authentication soon to avoid future intrusions like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom