• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Won

Leveling doesn't really matter that much. I think it makes the biggest difference in WvWvW, but outside of that my level is not something I thought about much. I took on content five levels higher than me, and at 80, content 20 levels lower than me can still put me on my toes.

They could have removed levels, but I think people would have complained about that. There's already people struggling with the concept of seeing unexplored areas just to see the areas and content, and not for any escalating reward system. You take away levels and they're entirely lost.

No one would have complained if they had a decent system in store. ArenaNet proberly just didn't have a good idea how to structure GW2's core concepts into something playable. So they slapped a level system on it. And it's not doing the game any favors.

Jack_AG

Banned
Leveling doesn't really matter that much. I think it makes the biggest difference in WvWvW, but outside of that my level is not something I thought about much. I took on content five levels higher than me, and at 80, content 20 levels lower than me can still put me on my toes.

They could have removed levels, but I think people would have complained about that. There's already people struggling with the concept of seeing unexplored areas just to see the areas and content, and not for any escalating reward system. You take away levels and they're entirely lost.
No. Levels do matter when content is level-restricted and yes there is a reward system for exploration and no that's not why people are lost. There is no real defining direction to go in this game which does throw people off since there are level restrictions to content and the only real way of knowing where to go next is looking at the level restrictions on the world map.

There is no real "story" that opens up in the world as you travel, there is a personal story, yes, but no real telling of lore in a logical manner throughout your exploration which gives you purpose. Purpose is a huge factor for pushing forward - its not really there in GW2 which leaves your motivation to your own devices.

There doesn't need to be hand holding but even I expected lore to unfold before me for each zone which should deaden my resolve to push ahead instead of "100% a map".

etiolate

Banned
No. Levels do matter when content is level-restricted and yes there is a reward system for exploration and no that's not why people are lost. There is no real defining direction to go in this game which does throw people off since there are level restrictions to content and the only real way of knowing where to go next is looking at the level restrictions on the world map.

There is no real "story" that opens up in the world as you travel, there is a personal story, yes, but no real telling of lore in a logical manner throughout your exploration which gives you purpose. Purpose is a huge factor for pushing forward - its not really there in GW2 which leaves your motivation to your own devices.

There doesn't need to be hand holding but even I expected lore to unfold before me for each zone which should deaden my resolve to push ahead instead of "100% a map".

Well, I have heard that the game once had no levels, but people were having trouble without their presence as a sort of guide. It does keep people from merely running to the end zones, but I think it had a lot to do with direction as well.

The story is local life, personal story, and Destiny's Edge. Destiny's Edge and Personal story seem to be the two that move forward towards the end zone with purpose.

I actually think MMOs should focus on local story, and the stuff you get through DEs in this game. Considering the structure of an MMO, the grander war is less personal, and you are just a soldier. I think the small scale differences and relationship to small lives provides a better conduit for MMO storytelling. You are just another soldier in the greater war. In the future, I'd like more recognition amongst locals for local deeds. It makes more sense to me to be a local hero in a MMO than the big hero in a MMO.

Not that GW2 doesn't do that. I'm always surprised by the little touches that relate back to your character's achievements and story, but I'd like it expanded upon. Like if you go back to your home instance at a higher level, you'll see characters from the past hanging out there, but right now that's all they do, just hangout.

pyrandes

As a level 80 Mesmer (Greatsword/Sword-Pistol) I haven't used my Shatter skills since level 20 or so. My pistol Phantasm crits for 2k+ and my Greatsword Phantasm makes a great distraction while also critting for as much. I don't understand how blowing them up would ever be useful -save for the 'o shit!' button (F4 skill Distortion).

really depends on the you're going for. you got deep enough into illusion (Illusionary Retribution), then all of the sudden all your clones become confusion bombs. At this point, you're not relying on your phantasms for damage (outside of the initial volleys), but instead you'll be pumping up your conditional damage for confusion, at the very least. With a scepter, you can push 9 confusion stacks on a target easily between shatters, scepter-3 (possibly 10 with scepter-2 if your trait to push confusion upon blinding a target).

With Sharper Images, then your clone crits pop up bleeds (more conditional damage on top of confusion damage), and then to top it off, you can apply burning to mobs from your Stave autoattack-1 (with all of these up, you can pop an iWarlock and have that crit for a ton--Ive had one of my warlocks crit for 7-8k). Thats on top of all the damage to the mob from your bleed/confusion/burning stacks.

Coxswain

The problem with the leveling is that, even though the experience curve and time-per-level never gets out of hand like in most MMOs, there's also no real reliable way to speed through levels at a really fast clip (other than that one super easy dungeon before they patched it). So if you start a new character, it's going to take basically just as long to get to 80 as it did the first time around - and you still have to go through the shitty early levels before you can use Grandmaster/Master traits and even Elite skills. If your favourite part of the game is WvW or Dungeons, where having a solid trait build can actually really matter, then you're probably the sort who finds the overworld/events stuff to be pretty tedious, and you're stuck doing it for a long time.

It would be nice if, once you reached level 80 with one character, you could make new characters that start at, say, level 40, able to use Master traits right out of the box. There are a bunch of classes that I'd like to try, but levels 1-30 are just torturous after you've already done them once.

Bossun

Yeah there is a gap in how fast you level up and how fast you can level up your craft.

That's the main concern for me actually, money and crafting items take so long to make/gather that I'm falling behind in everything and my crafting skills are not on par with my level.

It takes forever just to gather the items I need that I gain several levels just by farming.

I could buy them but money is scarce. I have like 2 gold something and I don't even know how to use them. Do I keep them to up my crafts? Should I buy the Tier 1 for my race (which I really like) or should I buy more bank space.

Should I farm the ascalonian catacombs to have the set, but I'll probably be way over the require level by then and it would have lost all interest..

It took me a few weeks at playing the TP to get the gold to get the armor I wanted, but it was oh so worth it! This is Sylvari T2 and T3 mix, sword is the Warden Greatsword (T3 cultural weapon), yes, I love Sylvari item design, can't you tell?

q4mON.jpg

Oa7Nk.jpg

KingKong

So I finally did the final personal quest/80 story mode dungeon and wtf was that?

Most of it takes place on a tiny airship, and the final boss fight is a complete joke. The turrets arent fun to use at all and none of the enemies had any kind of interesting attacks or tactics beyond 'dont stand in the big red circle'. The rewards weren't even that good.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
So I finally did the final personal quest/80 story mode dungeon and wtf was that?

Most of it takes place on a tiny airship, and the final boss fight is a complete joke. The turrets arent fun to use at all and none of the enemies had any kind of interesting attacks or tactics beyond 'dont stand in the big red circle'. The rewards weren't even that good.

It took me a few weeks at playing the TP to get the gold to get the armor I wanted, but it was oh so worth it! This is Sylvari T2 and T3 mix, sword is the Warden Greatsword (T3 cultural weapon), yes, I love Sylvari item design, can't you tell?

That is pretty awesome looking.

My highest level is still level 36, just been pvping when I get the chance to play, plus I still have no clue what to make my first 80.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Crystal Desert seems to be fine and all.

So... which is the best ranged weapon for Warrior? Longbow or rifle?

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I'm probably in the minority but I think anet should've just taken them out. Never implement levels at all just have skill points earned per XP (since they are used for the mystic forge). Trait points could be earned by XP too, I suppose, to give a sense of advancement.

Yeah, I actually agree with you. I think it would also get rid of the "end game" criticism because it shows that the game isn't about leveling up. There have been plenty of times in the game now where I don't even notice that I level up.

Also, I notice people talking about level restricted zones, which levels are kinda required for. There's probably a way to still make those zones restricted - levels in GW2 don't really have any impact to your character, besides giving you traits and skill points if I'm not mistaken so the zones that are too high a level would still be too hard with or without the levels. Although I think ArenaNet once was toying with the idea that characters should be able to scale up to higher level content as well. I don't remember the specifics but I'm really glad they dropped that concept out because that would have been a horrible idea.

Crystal Desert seems to be fine and all.

So... which is the best ranged weapon for Warrior? Longbow or rifle?

Rifle by a mile. It doesn't AoE as well, but warrior get enough of that with their melee weapons. Instead, rifle has more effective CC and makes for a solid DPS weapon (and it can AoE with the right trait). I usually use a hammer or greatsword with the rifle as a ranged backup weapon when melee becomes too hot.

Guardians cannot use ranged weapons correct?
Staff and scepter aren't ranged weapons?

Sarcasm

Oh I wouldn't know..I am just using some longsword (that uses the GS skills) and basic armor I find..I die often but I do take one 1 lvl higher than me.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Man, quaggans are so cute.

Rifle by a mile. It doesn't AoE as well, but warrior get enough of that with their melee weapons. Instead, rifle has more effective CC and makes for a solid DPS weapon (and it can AoE with the right trait). I usually use a hammer or greatsword with the rifle as a ranged backup weapon when melee becomes too hot.

Ok then.

I use greatswords with the occasional hammer for melee. Looks like I'll go rifle then. Fits with my charr too!

Getting pretty damn frustrated having a single glitched skill point prevent me from clearing every freaking zone I do. Do they event test these patches they put out? Fixes some stuff and breaks others. Every time. Good thing I love this game so much because there are frustrating issues here and there.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I use scepter/focus primarily. I'm tempted to switch back to shield though.

etiolate

Banned
You know whats got a range of offensiveness?

Them bugged Explorable Mode bosses.

dem best be fixed with next weeks patch!

darkwing

really depends on the you're going for. you got deep enough into illusion (Illusionary Retribution), then all of the sudden all your clones become confusion bombs. At this point, you're not relying on your phantasms for damage (outside of the initial volleys), but instead you'll be pumping up your conditional damage for confusion, at the very least. With a scepter, you can push 9 confusion stacks on a target easily between shatters, scepter-3 (possibly 10 with scepter-2 if your trait to push confusion upon blinding a target).

With Sharper Images, then your clone crits pop up bleeds (more conditional damage on top of confusion damage), and then to top it off, you can apply burning to mobs from your Stave autoattack-1 (with all of these up, you can pop an iWarlock and have that crit for a ton--Ive had one of my warlocks crit for 7-8k). Thats on top of all the damage to the mob from your bleed/confusion/burning stacks.

do you have a build link for this? want to try a Shatter based build

pyrandes

do you have a build link for this? want to try a Shatter based build

This is roughly the build I was using tonite:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fgAQNAR7tkwzQrHRQ946yuqjkCYL1KpA3uQA

Start off with GS, fire off GS4 and GS2 (GS2 has a quick recharge on it); at this point probably dodge for a 3rd clone, or mirror images to get it up (I leave the auxillary skills open to use as situations call for it). With 3 illusions up, switch to scepter, hit scepter-3 and cry of frustration. here the confusion stacks to roughly 11 stacks (that will stay up on the mob for a bit). bring up an iWarden, which will almost always crit with this build (And apply bleeding stacks). after iWarden has been fired off, switch back to GS asap and fire off GS4 and GS2 again to build up to 3.

The major traits that are a must, imo, are GS Training and Phantasmal Fury (so each phantasm crits more). You can trade off and use an iDuelst instead of iWArden if you like pistols more, which will allow you to use the Master Dueling trait (and the stun pistol move will hit 4 targets now instead of 3).

I'm not an mmo guy but am finding myself very interested in this.

Couple of questions:

1- how's the art/ environment design? If you've played xenoblade, can you offer a comparison?

2- again, maybe silly to some but can anyone discuss the music

3-is this accessible to a player who doesnt have 6 hrs a day to commit to it?

Thanks in advance

1 - The art is amazing!

2 - Music is also top notch. Expect some epic tunes!

3 - I have a full time job, study, daughter, girlfriend, social life. You can see I dont have much time to play, so my answer is: Yes, totally accessible!

Ken

So when is a good time to get a proff? There are 3 right? Can you get all three?

You mean a crafting profession? There's more than 3 and you can get them anytime. You can switch and drop professions and pick them again where you left off too.

You mean a crafting profession? There's more than 3 and you can get them anytime. You can switch and drop professions and pick them again where you left off too.

wait what? There are more than 3 available but surely you can only carry out a maximum of TWO at a time right? If not then i will get on a 3rd right away hmm..

Whats with the performance with this game?

I got it today, installed it and instantly noticed FPS issues.

2600k @ 4.4ghz
GTX 590
16GB RAM
SSD

Im playing at 1920x1080 and performance dips down into the 40's.

Ive done some research and alot of other people are having the same problems.
Some with ever better specs than me like with a GTX 690.

wait what? There are more than 3 available but surely you can only carry out a maximum of TWO at a time right? If not then i will get on a 3rd right away hmm..

The crafting in this game is awesome, there are 8 Crafting Disciplines and you can max all 8 if you want, just need to pay 10 copper per level, basically if you have them all max you only need to pay 40silver to switch between them...

Sarcasm

Whats with the performance with this game?

I got it today, installed it and instantly noticed FPS issues.

2600k @ 4.4ghz
GTX 590
16GB RAM
SSD

Im playing at 1920x1080 and performance dips down into the 40's.

Ive done some research and alot of other people are having the same problems.
Some with ever better specs than me like with a GTX 690.

What are all the proffs? What should I get as a guardian?

I get 114 fps maxed on

I7 3770k 3.4 ghz nit oc
Gtx680
8gb ram

I play at 1920x1200.

Dunlop

arg, finally started playing again, had a guildy at the same point as me in the personal story which I thought we would finish off last night and it is bugged at level 79.

cannot go below deck on boat to plug holes, keeps porting us back to the main deck

Apparently will be fixed oct 1

Ken

What are all the proffs? What should I get as a guardian?

I get 114 fps maxed on

I7 3770k 3.4 ghz nit oc
Gtx680
8gb ram

I play at 1920x1200.

Armorsmithing (heavy armor) and weaponsmithing, but both can get kind of costly if you don't plan ahead.

The crafting in this game is awesome, there are 8 Crafting Disciplines and you can max all 8 if you want, just need to pay 10 copper per level, basically if you have them all max you only need to pay 40silver to switch between them...

what does this mean exactly? Can i say have tailoring and artificer and get to say level 200 and THEN switch to 2 different ones, get THOSE to 200 and then switch back to the previous ones at a cost and they will remain at the level i left em at? hmmm

what does this mean exactly? Can i say have tailoring and artificer and get to say level 200 and THEN switch to 2 different ones, get THOSE to 200 and then switch back to the previous ones at a cost and they will remain at the level i left em at? hmmm

Yes.... you won't lose progression just need to pay silver to return to it...

Forkball

I'm not sure how people have an insane amount of karma. I am level 80 and have only about 25k. I have bought some stuff from karma vendors, but I wouldn't say a huge amount. I've spent maybe 10k on karma vendors if that.

I guess my new task is to get leatherworking up to snuff. I'm still at 130ish while my jewelry crafting is almost 400.

Ken

I'm not sure how people have an insane amount of karma. I am level 80 and have only about 25k. I have bought some stuff from karma vendors, but I wouldn't say a huge amount. I've spent maybe 10k on karma vendors if that.

I guess my new task is to get leatherworking up to snuff. I'm still at 130ish while my jewelry crafting is almost 400.

I had around 25k at level 70. I then started zerging DEs for experience points and at level 73 I have about 35k.

Kingbrave

A bunch of De's

Retro

Someone sell me on a medium armor profession.

Engineers get a flamethrower, grenades, land mines, a belt-battering ram, rocket boots and a ton of other crazy toys. It's like playing Inspector Gadget. Very very versatile, they almost always have a gadget that does exactly what they need.

Thieves are fast as hell, both literally (passive 25% increased movement speed from a Signet, plus Acrobatic trait that can give you swiftness on dodge) and in terms of gameplay. Thief weapon skills don't have cooldowns, but instead use an energy form called "Initiative" that regenerates overtime (and with certain skills). This means you can use the same skill in rapid-succession without having to wait, allowing them to be particularly devastating. They have a lot of teleport skills to come from unexpected angles, short-duration stealth (used to evade or set up a sneak attack) and can steal unique items from enemies. It's been called the "Batman" class.

Haven't played a Ranger. Somebody else can chime in, I'll just bitch about pets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom