• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't taken a good look but I think that you still get full experience, possibly even karma? Your money rewards are crap and all the nodes are worthless as your craft has far surpassed the use of them. Unless you're playing with a lower level friend, or trying to 100% there's really no reason to be in a lower level area still. Every area is worth checking out though just to see them, just don't try to do your leveling there.

Yeah, I'll probably complete them all. So being level 16 I was planning on clearing out the Charr zone after I finished my home Sylvari land. So this would probably be a bad idea money/gear/loot wise then? I finished the Charr zone on my Warrior before switching classes so figure I'd be able to go through it quickly, but by what you're saying I'd be best to do that later on when I've capped out and just want to mess around or play with low level friends?

My main concern is leveling at a decent pace. I was stalled out for a while because I couldn't decide what I wanted to do and was just exploring LA lol.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Nope, I was going to edit my original post and say that, but I basically create a new email account as a one-use, and have it forwarded to my main. Totally different pass and everything(even the "forum"/game name on GuildWars2.com was unique).

The weird thing is, all I got email wise is that someone tried to log-in. No further emails about changing the account details at all from ANet. Pretty subpar security on their behalf :|. I would at least expect an email saying "are you sure you want to change your password/email authentication?"...but nope.

That's awful, man. Security is one thing Anet has dropped the ball on big time. Authenticating logins from the website just isn't enough.

Do you have two step authentication on your email?

etiolate

Banned
Nope, I was going to edit my original post and say that, but I basically create a new email account as a one-use, and have it forwarded to my main. Totally different pass and everything(even the "forum"/game name on GuildWars2.com was unique).

The weird thing is, all I got email wise is that someone tried to log-in. No further emails about changing the account details at all from ANet. Pretty subpar security on their behalf :|. I would at least expect an email saying "are you sure you want to change your password/email authentication?"...but nope.

Not sure if you've seen this link, but hope it helps.

http://en.support.guildwars2.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9212

Achtius

So I come back to the game after a couple days off..."The account name or password you entered is invalid"...hop onto the email I used for it and sure enough someone from Scranton, PA tried to access my account a couple days ago.

ANet has no phone support, no livechat(only "occasionally"), and I can't find a way to reset my password without actually going into account management(which is impossible now that the dick who took my account already changed the password)...

sigh. I'm going to rage so ****ing hard if my chars/shit is gone(because I know ANet won't do shit about it).

werid, doesnt' the game require email verification if you login with a different ip address?

Arcteryx

That's awful, man. Security is one thing Anet has dropped the ball on big time. Authenticating logins from the website just isn't enough.

Do you have two step authentication on your email?

Yep, on both the main email and all of the "one-use" emails as well.

werid, doesnt' the game require email verification if you login with a different ip address?
I think you have to verify your email before that works, but yes I did get an email asking to verify that the IP was in fact my own. From what I can tell, they don't send emails to verify if you want to change your pass/change your email(I never got any at least); I assume the person attempted to login to the client, saw that the username/pass was "working"(just need to verify the location, kind of like how Steam asks you to check your email for the verification code if you use a new computer), and then proceeded to the website to change everything.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I use a phrase that's over 80 letters long for my password. Yep.

XCKD, knowledge for life.

(I realize that most of the accounts being hacked are from cross referencing passwords as opposed to bruteforce, still helps to have a nice complex password.)

password_strength.png

Regular clones are just that, meat shields to use as fodder. If youre using Staff 4 (iWarlock in this case, but any weapon's 4skill applies for phantasms), you wouldnt want to shatter anyways. Instead, you'll want to build around the idea of the iWarlock's ability to nuke harder as conditions pile on a mob (here's where Chaos Storm and Chaos Shield are useful as long as the mob stays put). In addition, you may want to trait to have your clones apply a random condition when killed (either from a mob or yourself overwriting it with another clone).

One of my builds was going off of this idea, tho it was lacking some synergistic details. Ill prob tweak it tonite, due to my current build being too much of a glass cannon for my tastes, which maybe ok for dungeon crawling. Hopefully I get to try it out tonite before I switch it around.

Same here. Why should I shatter my iDuelists when they give me good damage and constant regeneration and protection?

Thanks. Not sure what the other profession abilities are, but I feel like the Mesmer's are kind of wasted when clones are much better alive than dead. Maybe they're more useful at higher levels.

I'm not quite sure what to do for traits but it's kind of annoying that I have to pay to reset them. GW1 never had this restriction.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I haven't taken a good look but I think that you still get full experience, possibly even karma? Your money rewards are crap and all the nodes are worthless as your craft has far surpassed the use of them. Unless you're playing with a lower level friend, or trying to 100% there's really no reason to be in a lower level area still. Every area is worth checking out though just to see them, just don't try to do your leveling there.
Hey Piranha, just wanted you to know that there's some misleading stuff here. XP scales especially well for DEs so it will still be notable at any level though of course less efficient than high-level content; karma also scales well and 150 karma and a silver isn't irrelevant at level 80 just because it's modest. ;) Finally, the fact that you'll have outgrown the low-level crafting mats means you can sell them on the TP for extra profit.

I mention all of this by way of saying that basically, you should just go wherever you want at whatever level you want and not concern yourself with whether or not it's "worth it."

haven't got into crafting yet. Would you recommend it for armor and weapons or is it just a money maker?

It's hard to make money off crafting since so many people are doing it and would rather buy the raw materials to make stuff themselves.

And personally, I didn't find it too useful for gear while leveling. Everything I could afford to craft was junk compared to the quest rewards or good drops I was finding (or worst-case, the trading post). My guild leader has been crafting a lot of his gear though, so maybe I was doing it wrong.

The real benefits seem to be the experience (while you're still leveling), and the ability to craft the stuff you need for exotics and legendaries (once you hit 80).

IIRC, the rewards for 100% map completion in a zone are based on the max level of that zone. I think the rewards for hearts and DEs are similarly based on the level of the heart/event. (Edit: Just read Hawkian's post -- guess I may be wrong on this? Maybe it's just the money that doesn't scale to your level.)

It's one thing I wish they'd take a look at, since I'd like to go for 100% exploration, but I might skip it if I'd just be wasting my time in the low-level zones.

Arcteryx

fuckthisbitchjblvo.png

HAHAHHAAHHAAH

denzel-boomx0zfj.gif

Just disconnected that bitch

edit: sigh, missing ~30g from my main, ~5g from my alt; the TP transactions show over a 1000 entries in the past 2 days, most are venom sacs. Someone did some SERIOUS farming lol.

Yea I think I'm done with this game. Can't even afford the skill books on my alt without grinding(let alone waypoint/repair fees).

I might try emailing ANet for a refund, since they really should have a system in place to revert your account to an older date.

The real benefits seem to be the experience (while you're still leveling), and the ability to craft the stuff you need for exotics and legendaries (once you hit 80).
This is mostly it. Exotics and legendaries require max level crafting skills. Runes and sigils can be hard to come by and are the main reason I do crafting. Same goes for jewelry. A lot of runes on the TP are only offered in onesies or twosies and you usually want a set of 5 or 6.

It's one thing I wish they'd take a look at, since I'd like to go for 100% exploration, but I might skip it if I'd just be wasting my time in the low-level zones.
Gift of Exploration is why I want 100%. Required for legendaries.

Hey Piranha, just wanted you to know that there's some misleading stuff here. XP scales especially well for DEs so it will still be notable at any level though of course less efficient than high-level content; karma also scales well and 150 karma and a silver isn't irrelevant at level 80 just because it's modest. ;) Finally, the fact that you'll have outgrown the low-level crafting mats means you can sell them on the TP for extra profit.

I mention all of this by way of saying that basically, you should just go wherever you want at whatever level you want and not concern yourself with whether or not it's "worth it."

Good point. I just don't want to be 'broke' as I had 5 skill points but couldn't afford the book at the time so I to farm a little bit. I want to maximize the money, lol.

But I didn't think about selling the lower level mats, that might offset the money I'd make from a higher level zone. It's not too much of a concern now but when I'm 40 I'll probably go check out the other starter zones. At 16 the difference is probably negligible!

Wallach

I might try emailing ANet for a refund, since they really should have a system in place to revert your account to an older date.

Pretty sure they do have a system for rolling back an account as a whole. They just don't have one that allows them to spawn stuff for in-game refunds or item restoration on a live account.

etiolate

Banned
I thought people couldn't get access to anything without verifying IP?

They really need a way to restore accounts to a decent status. If it wouldn't screw up the exchange rate, they could just credit people with gems.

Arcteryx

I thought people couldn't get access to anything without verifying IP?

They really need a way to restore accounts to a decent status. If it wouldn't screw up the exchange rate, they could just credit people with gems.

Supposedly the verification thing was iffy until the patch on Monday.

I honestly don't understand why they don't have item restoration. That should be something available on day one, not something missing at launch.

edit:
We are working on an account restoration system that should be in place pretty soon. This will roll back the account to a point prior to the compromise, once certain parameters are met. We’re very much looking forward to being able to do this for players!
That's the latest quote(from a thread I just made) from them.

ACE 1991

Man, there seems to be some real backlash from GAF and other online communities with regards to this game. I always let the hype get to me, especially with MMOs.

Koroviev

Man, there seems to be some real backlash from GAF and other online communities with regards to this game. I always let the hype get to me, especially with MMOs.

I'm not sure about the game, but it is utterly stupid that we don't have the ability to change email addresses. Just, seriously? Not even Steam does that. If they expect people to keep playing their game in the long-term, then they need to offer a level of account flexibility that reflects that.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

Some people were expecting a huge revolution to the MMO genre that they just didn't get. Instead we got a pretty competent MMO with a slight lack of end-game content. I personally wasn't expecting the next coming of WoW with this game (a friend just recommended it to me and I said w/e it looks pretty fun) so I'm not disappointed at all. And I don't fully understand why other people are either, either they expected raids or some other giant treadmill at the end I'll never really know.

I'm not defending Guild Wars 2 by any means. I walk by broken events and bugged skill points nonstop and wonder just what ArenaNet has been working on so far. WvW still has issues in the higher level tiers and there isn't a huge desire to get higher level gear since it's purely cosmetic instead of better stats.

However, so far I've spent 250+ hours into a game I spent 60 bucks on, that's far better than most games these days. Am I getting a little bored? Sure. But since there's no subscription fee I'll just go play Borderlands 2 or Torchlight 2 and just come back when they add new content/get that itch again.

Ashodin

And they're tweaking stuff all the time while trying to fix every bugged event every patch week. If I bet you went by the numbers, more and more events are staying less and less bugged every patch.

The dungeon changes are most welcome; I can't wait to see what is in store for next week's patch on that regard. I absolutely love that patches come frequently instead of waiting for a huge compilation patch.

Ken

fuckthisbitchjblvo.png

HAHAHHAAHHAAH

edit: sigh, missing ~30g from my main, ~5g from my alt; the TP transactions show over a 1000 entries in the past 2 days, most are venom sacs. Someone did some SERIOUS farming lol.

Yea I think I'm done with this game. Can't even afford the skill books on my alt without grinding(let alone waypoint/repair fees).

I don't even have more than 2g across all my characters haha.

;_;

I barely play this game, is the longsword weapon you get from story quest not a greatsword correct?

IIRC the story quests don't give you a Greatsword if you're a Guardian. Find one off the TP for really cheap.

Anet talk revolution and it turned out to be a standard MMO that does things slightly different,

No the trinity system.
Dynamic events(events are always broken)
No running around picking up quests.
IMO a very great crafting system, you can master all 8 professions just pay 10copper per level to switch...

80 levels is a bullshit idea.
I agree.
Would it be better if there were 40 levels but each level took twice as long to earn?

You can get to 80 in this game fairly quickly. I don't see why it matters how many arbitrary points there are in between level 1 and the level cap.
I'm probably in the minority but I think anet should've just taken them out. Never implement levels at all just have skill points earned per XP (since they are used for the mystic forge). Trait points could be earned by XP too, I suppose, to give a sense of advancement.

Thief or Engineer?
Dodgey mofo or jack-of-all-trades? (respectively)

Ken

Thief or Engineer?

No running around picking up quests.

I like the hearts and DE because when playing with friends, we don't have to go through the "did you pick up these quests? No? I guess we have to go back to town to get them" scenario.

Unfortunately what you do in the hearts stuff isn't that exciting or revolutionary; still the same old "kill these things or interact with these things multiple times," but with a little more "freedom" in how you choose to complete the heart.

Thanks. Not sure what the other profession abilities are, but I feel like the Mesmer's are kind of wasted when clones are much better alive than dead. Maybe they're more useful at higher levels.

I'm not quite sure what to do for traits but it's kind of annoying that I have to pay to reset them. GW1 never had this restriction.

As a level 80 Mesmer (Greatsword/Sword-Pistol) I haven't used my Shatter skills since level 20 or so. My pistol Phantasm crits for 2k+ and my Greatsword Phantasm makes a great distraction while also critting for as much. I don't understand how blowing them up would ever be useful -save for the 'o shit!' button (F4 skill Distortion).

Deitus

I'm probably in the minority but I think anet should've just taken them out. Never implement levels at all just have skill points earned per XP (since they are used for the mystic forge). Trait points could be earned by XP too, I suppose, to give a sense of advancement.

There is a case to be made that they should have gone that route. They were originally experimenting with that idea, but decided that it would be too difficult to adjust to for MMO players.

I'm not sure how I would feel about it. I kind of like the idea that everything you do gives you experience, but then I'm level 80 without seeing even half of this game, so I'll spend the rest of the game not leveling up (but still being able to make use of that exp). Would it really be that much different if it was just like that from the beginning? Probably not. But I do believe that the lack of levels would turn off a lot of people.

The point I was trying to make was that complaining about 80 levels doesn't make sense. You can complain that levels exist, or you can complain about how long it takes to level. But complaining about the number of levels just ends up sounding like "These go to eleven."

Would it be better if there were 40 levels but each level took twice as long to earn?

You can get to 80 in this game fairly quickly. I don't see why it matters how many arbitrary points there are in between level 1 and the level cap.

40 or 50 levels max, runnable through 1 racial "sphere zone" Currently i'm having to bounce between human and charr zones, whilst gathering and cooking. It's disjointed and frankly a mess, i have no idea what's happening in the charr zones as i'm not experiencing their story quests.

Not to mention all my interesting skills seemed to have dried up long ago.

The progression reminds of WAR, which felt more like a grind than it should have, and all but obliterated the thought of people wanting to level another alt.

fuckthisbitchjblvo.png

HAHAHHAAHHAAH

Wow they actually used your account? I thought their email verification thing would stop them.

Anyway, as a person who got a refund, I think you are in a good position to get one.

I didn't get anything stolen, and I got my refund. I did buy it directly from Anet though.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I never considered leveling in GW2 to be a grind at all. Literally everything gives you experience, so I never felt like I had to do the same thing over and over again to hit level.

Piecake

I never considered leveling in GW2 to be a grind at all. Literally everything gives you experience, so I never felt like I had to do the same thing over and over again to hit level.

I forgot what level i was half the time. It really wasnt important to me at all.

inky

Yeah, well but experience is not a currency. While hitting level cap is easy, the curve for getting other stuff is not as forgiving.

Sarcasm

IIRC the story quests don't give you a Greatsword if you're a Guardian. Find one off the TP for really cheap.

Actually just looked my longsword is considered a greatsword..keeps calling it in skills and lucky I had my less power GS still on my - yea same skills.

Kimaka

I'm not sure about the game, but it is utterly stupid that we don't have the ability to change email addresses. Just, seriously? Not even Steam does that. If they expect people to keep playing their game in the long-term, then they need to offer a level of account flexibility that reflects that.

I was about to tell you that you could but they seemed to have removed that feature. Why would they do that? I'm assuming that they disabled that feature to prevent hackers from changing hacked accounts to their e-mail but I would rather they implement a security feature that sends verification e-mails to both old and new addresses.

I haven't really noticed any huge backlash against the game. Just the standard backlash for any game.

Neither have I yet, at least to the extent that games like Diablo 3 and SWTOR were received. I didn't pay much attention to either of those games yet saw a lot of negative topics pop up about them and brought up in unrelated threads. GW2 still isn't at that level of backlash.

Piecake

I'm not an mmo guy but am finding myself very interested in this.

Couple of questions:

1- how's the art/ environment design? If you've played xenoblade, can you offer a comparison?

2- again, maybe silly to some but can anyone discuss the music

3-is this accessible to a player who doesnt have 6 hrs a day to commit to it?

Thanks in advance

I love the art/enviroment design. Never played Xenoblade, but this is the first MMO and one of the very few games that i actually like exploring for exploring sake

2. Its good, not great, but good. Jeremy Soule (skyrim) is the composer

3. Yea, definitely. 1-80 you will have absolutely no issue with playing whenever you want for how much/little you want. after 80, it kinda depends on what you want out of the game.

Do you want to explore the world or play sPvP? No huge time committment there. Do dungeons? takes a bit of time to find groups and do the dungeon, but not nearly as bad as other mmos thanks to no trinity.

WvW? well, queues will kill ya right there. Legendary? Prepare to spend the rest of your life getting it

Varna

It's too fast in my opinion. But I guess it really doesn't matter since you are always at an appropriate level anyways

etiolate

Banned
Leveling doesn't really matter that much. I think it makes the biggest difference in WvWvW, but outside of that my level is not something I thought about much. I took on content five levels higher than me, and at 80, content 20 levels lower than me can still put me on my toes.

They could have removed levels, but I think people would have complained about that. There's already people struggling with the concept of seeing unexplored areas just to see the areas and content, and not for any escalating reward system. You take away levels and they're entirely lost.

Shambles

It's too fast in my opinion. But I guess it really doesn't matter since you are always at an appropriate level anyways

I find i level much faster than I could possibly hope for my crafting to keep pace with. I have weaponsmithing and armoursmithing but I can't make anything close to my level due to the rarity of the special crafting items.

Question: How can I find out what %explored I have of an area without walking to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom