• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

J0dy77

I'm not an mmo guy but am finding myself very interested in this.

Couple of questions:

1- how's the art/ environment design? If you've played xenoblade, can you offer a comparison?

2- again, maybe silly to some but can anyone discuss the music

3-is this accessible to a player who doesnt have 6 hrs a day to commit to it?

Thanks in advance

I would say this game hits on all of the queues you're looking for. The art direction is amazing, the detail that went into the major cities and environments can be breathtaking. Music in some of the zones is phenomenal. You can play as much or as little as you want. This game fit a great slot for me since I can no longer raid but still like MMO gaming, I can play whenever and still feel like I'm accomplishing something.

I finally did my first CM story run. It was fun. After my first AC story run I felt like my chest hair had tripled. After CM I had a nice helm and some other goodies lol.

darkwing

This is roughly the build I was using tonite:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fgAQNAR7tkwzQrHRQ946yuqjkCYL1KpA3uQA

Start off with GS, fire off GS4 and GS2 (GS2 has a quick recharge on it); at this point probably dodge for a 3rd clone, or mirror images to get it up (I leave the auxillary skills open to use as situations call for it). With 3 illusions up, switch to scepter, hit scepter-3 and cry of frustration. here the confusion stacks to roughly 11 stacks (that will stay up on the mob for a bit). bring up an iWarden, which will almost always crit with this build (And apply bleeding stacks). after iWarden has been fired off, switch back to GS asap and fire off GS4 and GS2 again to build up to 3.

The major traits that are a must, imo, are GS Training and Phantasmal Fury (so each phantasm crits more). You can trade off and use an iDuelst instead of iWArden if you like pistols more, which will allow you to use the Master Dueling trait (and the stun pistol move will hit 4 targets now instead of 3).

thanks! will try this, been rocking GS/Sword+Gun combo

Engineers get a flamethrower, grenades, land mines, a belt-battering ram, rocket boots and a ton of other crazy toys. It's like playing Inspector Gadget. Very very versatile, they almost always have a gadget that does exactly what they need.

Thieves are fast as hell, both literally (passive 25% increased movement speed from a Signet, plus Acrobatic trait that can give you swiftness on dodge) and in terms of gameplay. Thief weapon skills don't have cooldowns, but instead use an energy form called "Initiative" that regenerates overtime (and with certain skills). This means you can use the same skill in rapid-succession without having to wait, allowing them to be particularly devastating. They have a lot of teleport skills to come from unexpected angles, short-duration stealth (used to evade or set up a sneak attack) and can steal unique items from enemies. It's been called the "Batman" class.

Haven't played a Ranger. Somebody else can chime in, I'll just bitch about pets.

nice, really tempted to either start a thief or an engi now, but my "main" is only 22 lol so i also wanna focus on getting to 30 so i can finally do dungeons!

pyrandes

@pyrandes What are the 3 stats you look for, for your armor/weapon?

Right now Ive been looking for power/precision/condition damage -- that'll be more in accordance to the build that I linked darkwing that relies on condition bombs for bleeds/confusion.

Before I was looking for power/precision/crit % for other builds that I have seen, which stemmed from the 'of the Mesmer' rune line. This works a lot better if you're not relying on bleeds/confusion to do damage some but want your phantasms (and yourself) to hit like trucks. The Phantasmal Fury trait in the Illusion line works great here (since it'll allow phantasms to use their skill more often--though I heard it only works with iWarden atm).

I tend not to look for toughness/vitality at all; if I'm playing right and hit my timings correctly, there's no need for the extra toughness and vitality (not to mention that right now it feels like a minimal benefit).

Vossler

only 60 more to go then I finally haz my ascalonian bow....definitely gonna get it tonight. Can we setup a rotation of dungeon runs for tonight? I would like to experience TA, and CoF, for sure.

Got to level 19 and went to LA thinking my crafting would push me into 20, crafted all I could and was 367 XP away so I ran around LA for 5 minutes looking for vistas until BAM 20!

Now, some crafting questions. I've been able to do like 3 discoveries but it seems with all the stuff I made that none are really compatible. Is there a basic rule? I have armor/weapon-smithing. What type of ingredients should I be using? I made a bunch of random parts like helm, legs, hilt, etc ... have a bunch of insignias. But every time I click on 2 items all the rest will gray out.

Is there a common thing like, one part (hilt, leg part, helm part, etc ..), then an insignia, then some other part I don't know about? I'm at work (when I do most of my theorycrafting lol) so not able to see what exactly I have in my bag but it seemed like I had about 4 rows of things and after selecting 2 everything would gray out with almost any combination. For both weapon/armor-smith.

Forkball

Completed Malchior's Leap. I got a ton of silver and two exotics. I trade my exotic to Artist for his exotic, so now I have some stylish pants. I sold an exotic spear that was barely better than my green one for 50 silver. Doing world completion is pretty fun if you have a partner, and it surprisingly does net you a profit despite all the tp/armor repair costs.

Achtius

only 60 more to go then I finally haz my ascalonian bow....definitely gonna get it tonight. Can we setup a rotation of dungeon runs for tonight? I would like to experience TA, and CoF, for sure.

but i need 3 more runs :(

But I can do CM (mf set) and TA (for the legendary component)

dorn.

Got to level 19 and went to LA thinking my crafting would push me into 20, crafted all I could and was 367 XP away so I ran around LA for 5 minutes looking for vistas until BAM 20!

Now, some crafting questions. I've been able to do like 3 discoveries but it seems with all the stuff I made that none are really compatible. Is there a basic rule? I have armor/weapon-smithing. What type of ingredients should I be using? I made a bunch of random parts like helm, legs, hilt, etc ... have a bunch of insignias. But every time I click on 2 items all the rest will gray out.

Is there a common thing like, one part (hilt, leg part, helm part, etc ..), then an insignia, then some other part I don't know about? I'm at work (when I do most of my theorycrafting lol) so not able to see what exactly I have in my bag but it seemed like I had about 4 rows of things and after selecting 2 everything would gray out with almost any combination. For both weapon/armor-smith.

You always need 1 insignia/sigil/rune(the thing that gives the item its stats) + 1 Weapon/Armor part A + 1 weapon/armor part B. A sword for example needs 1 sword hilt + 1 sword blade + 1 insignia. There are three types of insignias per 25 levels, you just craft/buy a bunch of those(buying was the cheaper option last time I crafted because Tier 1 crafting components are way expensive) and combine them with parts until you reached the next tier of insignias and so on.

You always need 1 insignia/sigil/rune(the thing that gives the item its stats) + 1 Weapon/Armor part A + 1 weapon/armor part B. A sword for example needs 1 sword hilt + 1 sword blade + 1 insignia. There are three types of insignias per 25 levels, you just craft/buy a bunch of those(buying was the cheaper option last time I crafted because Tier 1 crafting components are way expensive) and combine them with parts until you reached the next tier of insignias and so on.

Ah, so with armorsmithing, I would use Boot Lining, Boot Panel, and then an Insignia? Shit, think I just made a bunch of parts I can't double up as I was just messing around with thing and creating to level.

Looks like I might need to farm the lower level zones for a bit or maybe just buy some completed mats if the price is right.

kaioshade

Any tips for elementalists?

I am playing one D/D, but do absolute crap for damage and fall when a mob so much looks at me. I see people being successful, so what am i doing wrong?

arimanius

Someone sell me on a medium armor profession.

I've tried all 3.....

....and hated all 3. Ranger being the less hated of the bunch.

IMO
Rangers are good, not flashy and have pets.(I'm not a pet class type of guy)
Thieves are high dps and survive by evasion, dodge, stealth (couldn't find a weapon set I liked)
Engineers have a lot of different options. (Was the first class I made, though I would love it. Hate the way kits work.)

I also main an elementalist and while i can hold my own against 2 mobs my level, i still feel weak and would like to know:

- Are there any "builds" for elementalists out there that are considered pretty decent as far as damage goes or do i just need to spam fire spells and the occasional lightning?

what kinda equipment/stats would i be looking at for more damage? Critical hits(precision) or more power?

Ashodin

Thieves and Engineers by far for Medium Armor. I have both, and I'm making the thief a Gunslinger. Sounds amazing, because it is.

kaioshade

rotate between all 4 element

Elements are definitely being rotated. I do not just spam fire all day. I can hold my own against 1-2 mobs, but groups i just fall almost instantly.

I am only level 20, so i have so put 10 points into water traits. So i have not fully unlocked every possibility. But some tips would be appreciated.

Violet_0

Banned
I have a 80 Engineer and 41 Ranger. They're actually quite similar in the way I play them, both of them mainly being auto-attack heroes :p

Engineer turrets and Ranger pets aren't really all that useful in dungeons, unfortunately

Vossler

I can't decide if I want CoF armor (I know, I know) or order of whispers armor at 80....need to run CoF to see what the dungeon is like.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I can't decide if I want CoF armor (I know, I know) or order of whispers armor at 80....need to run CoF to see what the dungeon is like.
After seeing it every time I turned a corner last week, CoF armor is actually already starting to lose the "hey that dude speedran 20 times in 2 hours" aspect for me, and considering it would actually take you some time to work for now I say go for it. The medium armor is really cool. Just note that the shoulders don't show up if you're wearing the coat.

Ashodin

After seeing it every time I turned a corner last week, CoF armor is actually already starting to lose the "hey that dude speedran 20 times in 2 hours" aspect for me, and considering it would actually take you some time to work for now I say go for it. The medium armor is really cool. Just note that the shoulders don't show up if you're wearing the coat.

I think seeing the other dungeon armors is more of a feat than COF now. I think I haven't seen ANYONE with the Crucible of Eternity gear. So I think that set of gear would make for a really good showpiece.

Violet_0

Banned

no self-respecting medium-armor user is wearing the CoF chest armor

Vossler

I noticed taht it look quite similar to the Luxon armor in og GW. Not sure that I like that or not. Decisions, decisions.

On another note, what is everyone's preferred zerg path through straits? Was attempting to find one last night, but wound up only finding a few. I usually start at Ft. Trinity and wander from there.

Forgot about orrian....May try to build up that instead.

Been wanting to get back into this game for a while, but things have been crazy. Trip to Ottawa, hosting a bachelor's party, crazy deadlines at work. Now I also have Torchlight II and Borderlands 2 vying for my time. I think I'll try to jump in at least once this weekend though; was having a lot of fun with it before life got super busy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
*post scanned for irony*

2 instances detected
I think seeing the other dungeon armors is more of a feat than COF now. I think I haven't seen ANYONE with the Crucible of Eternity gear. So I think that set of gear would make for a really good showpiece.
Totally true. Also, it will mix and match well the order of whispers stuff he seems to want as well.

edit: You should've been able to see someone with CoE gear last night...
/salt

Levyne

Banned
I have been spending a ton of time/ingame money on fishing 2 exotic armor/jewelry sets (One for combat, one for mf). Once I finish that, I'm gonna probably take a break from the game to play a couple other things for a bit.

If anyone cares, my combat set will be Duelist/Nika, mf set will probably jet be the crafted medium skin.

Any tips for elementalists?

I am playing one D/D, but do absolute crap for damage and fall when a mob so much looks at me. I see people being successful, so what am i doing wrong?

I also main an elementalist and while i can hold my own against 2 mobs my level, i still feel weak and would like to know:

- Are there any "builds" for elementalists out there that are considered pretty decent as far as damage goes or do i just need to spam fire spells and the occasional lightning?

what kinda equipment/stats would i be looking at for more damage? Critical hits(precision) or more power?

I ultimately decided that a condition damage build was the best way to go for an Ele (at least for PVE) and I became immensely more dangerous once I re-tooled my traits and build to cater to it. I go for Power, Precision, and Condition damage on equipment with the first and last being the most important.

I have the Fire trait maxed out which boosts power and condition duration and then I have 20 pts into Arcane (swapping attunement cool down and stronger utilities) and 20pts into Earth for increase in condition damage. I use the traits in fire and earth that increase condition duration or deal more damage after an enemy is afflicted. the arcane trait for increasing AOE range with a staff is a good idea (I use staff, btw).

When playing, I bounce between all attunements but Fire and Earth are the bread and butter. Use earth to get a mob bleeding, crippled, and immobilized in seconds then switch to fire and get them burning with 3 and drop some quick aoe's to do nice damage like the 2 and 5. You can swap to water to drop some aoe heals if needed and the 2 attack is strong and worth dropping on enemies before swinging to another attunement. Air can be useful for using that 5 Static field skill to pin enemies in place so they can't escape your aoe, you can and sometimes should use this before say the fire attunement so your meteor shower can be used to it's greatest effect. Gale can be useful for keeping an enemy off their feet.

Ele is really versatile and the situation will dictate what skills you want to drop. For most mobs, bouncing between Fire and Earth will be enough to kill enemies quickly but when fighting bosses or particularly strong mobs, you want to utilize all your skills.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Kinda disappointed, been playing this game with my brother and we got to 80 yesterday so we started to finish the story mission and we get to the last one and its a 5 man dungeon. Lame! Couldn't find 3 more people willing to try it all morning. Guess thems the breaks when you miss out on the zerg rush to 80.

Ashodin

Kinda disappointed, been playing this game with my brother and we got to 80 yesterday so we started to finish the story mission and we get to the last one and its a 5 man dungeon. Lame! Couldn't find 3 more people willing to try it all morning. Guess thems the breaks when you miss out on the zerg rush to 80.

I'm sure hanging out in Cursed Shore or near the gate to the dungeon will net you a run. People are looking to do it quite often.

Vossler

In fact, I will be there shortly.... 6 levels shortly.....

Even worse for me, I've been soloing all game and now I'm supposed to join 4 PUG's to finish my 'personal' story? Bad decision. As a result, I've been sitting on this final mission but I'll have to buckle down eventually. I will say a final dungeon feels like the proper way to end an RPG so I guess I can't be too upset about it. It just doesn't cater well to all play styles.

Won

Was a pretty big wtf moment for me too. It's just ArenaNet trolling I guess.
Probably not gonna finish the story now. Not that it matters considering how bad the story is.

KingKong

Was a pretty big wtf moment for me too. It's just ArenaNet trolling I guess.
Probably not gonna finish the story now. Not that it matters considering how bad the story is.

The mission is really easy considering its the last dungeon in the game (maybe because its story mode but still), I did it with 4 random people in about an hour. It was really dull though

question: Are the karma and dungeon armor skins unique? These look awesome but I'm not going to grind 250k karma or thousands of tokens http://www.gw2armor.com/human/male/karma/heavy/display.php. Are they bind on pickup or can I find them on the AH? Also, is there a list of what all the different armor skins look like? I'd rather just buy low level armor and transmute it on high level gear

KingKong

Yes, they are unique.

yeah I figured, that's too bad. Do they have previews in AH yet? I have no idea how to go about putting together a nice looking set other than the pieces I've picked up (I've been using a cool looking helm skin for the last 15 levels, when I ran the dungeon I got a level 80 helm drop that looked like one you find in the first zone, so lame)

nataku

yeah I figured, that's too bad. Do they have previews in AH yet? I have no idea how to go about putting together a nice looking set other than the pieces I've picked up (I've been using a cool looking helm skin for the last 15 levels, when I ran the dungeon I got a level 80 helm drop that looked like one you find in the first zone, so lame)

No, they don't. It's something they're working on. In the meantime, do this:

Go here. Search for whatever item you want. For example, Berserker's Acolyte Coat of Flame Legion

See that 76 at the end of the URL, after the /? Type that in here, at the top field labeled "Item ID:" and click Submit. It'll spit out this code: [&AgFMAAAA]

Copy and past that code in your chat in GW2. Whisper it to yourself so you don't spam /say or /guild. From there you can right click on the item link to preview it.

Basically just search for items on the first site, type whatever number from the URL that is after the last / into the second site and paste the code into your chat in game and it'll spit out an item link. Don't forget to use /whisper to yourself so you don't spam a public chat channel.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Go here. Search for whatever item you want. For example, Berserker's Acolyte Coat of Flame Legion

See that 76 at the end of the URL, after the /? Type that in here, at the top field labeled "Item ID:" and click Submit. It'll spit out this code: [&AgFMAAAA]

Copy and past that code in your chat in GW2. Whisper it to yourself so you don't spam /say or /guild. From there you can right click on the item link to preview it.

Basically just search for items on the first site, type whatever number from the URL that is after the last / into the second site and paste the code into your chat in game and it'll spit out an item link. Don't forget to use /whisper to yourself so you don't spam a public chat channel.
So that's how people have been doing that with the legendaries.

arimanius

So am I screwing myself out of anything with not doing AC now(my guy is 41)? I was planning on just leveling up and hitting the dungeons later.

Vossler

Good to know, thanks for the heads up!

KingKong

Hmm maybe Im missing something, but this assumes that I know what item I want, what I would like is to see what items look like first and then pick that.

I want this for my Mesmer so bad.

Imtzk.jpg
WHISPERBLADE

So am I screwing myself out of anything with not doing AC now(my guy is 41)? I was planning on just leveling up and hitting the dungeons later.
Not really. Though the story mode rewards don't scale to your level, the explorables always provide useful stuff.

Trying to find a LW to make me some Valk/Berserk end game gear, anyone in GAF's guild that can make them by chance?
Check this out.
Can i say have tailoring and artificer and get to say level 200 and THEN switch to 2 different ones, get THOSE to 200 and then switch back to the previous ones at a cost and they will remain at the level i left em at? hmmm
That's exactly how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom