• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

I thought NCSoft had said something similar a few months ago at an investors meeting.

Colin's statement has been that his team is not working on an expansion. That doesn't rule out the possibility that another team is working on an expansion. Honestly, for all we know, the investors report could be referring to the living story updates as there's honestly no other comparison that investors could immediately understand.

Ultimately, it's an MMO. An expansion is coming sooner or later, whether Colin is working on it right now or not. NCSoft needs to meet certain quarterly and yearly sales goals, and an expansion is the best way to get new people involved and to get existing users to double down.

Retro

Any good starter guides out there? I'm starting a computer build and a buddy and I were gonna jump into this.

Yep;

1. Roll the class you think looks interesting and fun, not which you think will be most useful. If one doesn't click with you, try another. Whatever choice you make, you won't be penalized further down the road (i.e. you can get into a group no matter what class you pick now). Every class can contribute, even breaking MMO-tropes; Guardians (the Paladin-like class) have a couple ranged attacks, Rangers are good in melee, etc.
- That said, most people say the Guardian, Warrior and Ranger are good classes to start with, while Mesmers, Elementalists and Engineers have a bit of a learning curve. Seriously though, try what sounds cool to you, as all of the professions are pretty approachable and you can always ask for help here or in-game.​
2. Race has no statistical advantage; it will only give you a few race-specific utility and elite skills (none of which stand out over the others). Otherwise it is entirely cosmetic. Be aware that the "Tauren Effect" is in play here; the two large races, Norn and Charr, feel like they move slower than the others even though run speed is normalized. Likewise, Asura feel like they're flying. Some people (myself included) find it detracts from the game, YMMV.
- For what it's worth, Norn look insanely cool in full armor (especially plate) and Charr have an awesome four-legged run animation, so there's silver lining everywhere.​
3. Buy a copper Mining Pick, Harvesting Sickle and Logging axe as soon as you have the money; there's no gathering professions, everyone can gather everything so long as they have the tools. Resource nodes show up on your mini-map (Grey rock, green leaves, brown log pile) and are instanced for everyone; don't rush to mine a Copper node just because someone is running towards it, you will have your own copy waiting just for you.

4. Likewise, buy a basic Salvage Kit. This is similar to Disenchanting in WoW, but you actually get resources like cloth, leather and metal rather than dusts/essences. This is the primary method for getting cloth and leather, actually. You will get items from enemies that serve no purpose other than to be salvaged, and will be labelled as such.

5. You don't need to be at a waypoint to travel; you can open your map and travel to any waypoint you've previously visited at any time.

6. If you want bags, take up any of the armor crafting professions (Armorsmith, Leatherworker, Tailor) as all three can produce bags right away. You may also want to check the Trading Post (shortcut: o) because the prices there are pretty low.

7. You get weapon swapping at level 7 (unless you're an Elementalist or Engineer), and unlock utility slots at 5, 10 and 20. Elite skills unlock at level 30.

8. For a quick level or two, explore your race's starting city. When you open your map there will be a checklist of the waypoints (Diamonds), Points of Interest (Small squares), and Vistas (Two Red Triangles), all of which give you XP just for visiting them. It also nets you some money and goodies for fully completing the map.

9. Learn to dodge early, it will save you forever. Most enemies have a 'wind up' animation just before they deliver a large attack. The default dodge key is V.
- Red Circles on the ground are enemy AOE attacks; dodge out of those too.​
10. When your health reaches zero, you aren't automatically killed; instead you enter a 'downed' state where you can defeat an enemy (or heal yourself if none are around) to rally back at half health. Keep an eye open for a blue "V" symbol over other players, or on your mini-map; this indicates another played who has been downed, and you can revive them (default key: f) and get some experience.

11. Wander around and do stuff. One of the biggest complaints people new to the game have is that there isn't any direction it shoos you towards. There are traditional quests (marked with hearts on your map), but the real meat of GW2 are events which can happen anywhere at any time. Pay attention to your surroundings; people will often run up to you and ask for help, or you'll see signs that something is amiss (people are sick and the well water is green? Follow the pipes to investigate the water supply.)

12. Whisper any of the officers for an invite to GAF guild where your questions will be answered. Ferny, Ashodin Venteal, Hawkian The Blade, Gojira, Nephenee Reginleif, Professor Retro, Wallach or Arken Elric. You can be part of GAF Guild regardless of which server you are on (We play on Stormbluff Isle, but it is often full), and you can join multiple guilds as well (so if you have friends already playing, you can switch between them as you like).

13. We use Mumble, and have a GAF server just for our guild; talking is optional but being able to listen helps, especially in dungeons. We also tend to hang out and get overly excited about new features:
Server Address: atl.eoreality.net
Port: 64742
Use your GAF Name as your username to avoid confusion.

14. You can also register at GAFGuild.com, we post all sorts of events and discuss things a little more indepth than we do here, just to keep this thread open for general discussion without getting bogged down in theorycrafting, event notices and such.

AWESOME TIPS (i.e. "Why don't other MMOs have that?!")
- There are no mailboxes anywhere, because you can send and receive mail anywhere via messenger pigeons.

- Likewise, you can buy and sell on the trading post from anywhere. However, any items you buy, or any money you make from selling, can only be picked up at a Trader NPC (marked as a golden scale icon on your map).

- You can click the small gear in the upper right corner of your inventory and select "Deposit all Collectables" to automatically send any crafting materials to your bank. These items appear on the "Collectables" tab at your bank, a special space that holds all of that stuff for you instead of forcing you to hoard it in your regular storage space.

- Your bank space is shared between all of your characters, and there is a space on the lower right to deposit money.

- There is no mob tagging in the traditional sense; as long as you do above a certain threshold of damage, you will get credit and looting rights regardless of who attacked first.

HappyHunting

Neo Member
I thought NCSoft had said something similar a few months ago at an investors meeting.

Colin's statement has been that his team is not working on an expansion. That doesn't rule out the possibility that another team is working on an expansion. Honestly, for all we know, the investors report could be referring to the living story updates as there's honestly no other comparison that investors could immediately understand.

Ultimately, it's an MMO. An expansion is coming sooner or later, whether Colin is working on it right now or not. NCSoft needs to meet certain quarterly and yearly sales goals, and an expansion is the best way to get new people involved and to get existing users to double down.

What has me a little excited to see is what kind of expansion it will be. Usual expansions for the cookie-cutter MMO's have always been, massive content infusion along with the extra fluff (level cap increase, new class, new race... yada yada). With the unique way Anet is doing things (superior in every way possible) an expansion is probably going to be ... I have no freaking idea... *cries*

Stealth Edit: Level 62 ! I'ma comin !

Odd that Anet would actively deny making an expansion if they are intending to do so.

Not odd at all if they're not actively making one at the moment. The NCsoft earnings call claim that they're preparing an expansion pack is just corporate talk. It's like saying a Movie series is planned to be a Trilogy before the work on the first one is even complete. It's easy and obvious that it's coming eventually.. but that doesn't mean it's anywhere near being worked on.

I can't imagine that they'd have a section of a team working on an expansion when so many small groups of teams have to be working on Living Story segments as well as major content patches. Also, releasing an expansion before the SPvP is anywhere near settled down and ready for a serious push would be a bad idea and there seems to be at least a segment of Anet that really wants Esports legitimacy out of that game mode.

To me, the call screams earnings statement lingo for "GW2 has done well for us and we're going to capitalize on that with more GW2."

HappyHunting

Neo Member
Not odd at all if they're not actively making one at the moment. The NCsoft earnings call claim that they're preparing an expansion pack is just corporate talk. It's like saying a Movie series is planned to be a Trilogy before the work on the first one is even complete. It's easy and obvious that it's coming eventually.. but that doesn't mean it's anywhere near being worked on.

I can't imagine that they'd have a section of a team working on an expansion when so many small groups of teams have to be working on Living Story segments as well as major content patches. Also, releasing an expansion before the SPvP is anywhere near settled down and ready for a serious push would be a bad idea and there seems to be at least a segment of Anet that really wants Esports legitimacy out of that game mode.

To me, the call screams earnings statement lingo for "GW2 has done well for us and we're going to capitalize on that with more GW2."

This. It's also worth noting that everyone within the community is aware of how strongly Anet is maintaining their game, but people outside of the community aren't necassarily aware. Saying what they did on the call stirs interest from those that don't always check the site out. Just my thoughts.

Retro

"Preparing an expansion pack" and “we don’t have a timetable on [an expansion]” (from here) are both pretty vague. I'd chalk it up to them not wanting to take the time to explain to investors how the Living Story works (it essentially is an expansion of the game, just broken up into monthly bites) or just optimistic corporate speak as Jest suggests. I'm surprised more by the game contributing only 21 percent of their revenue (and Lineage 1 contributing 26 percent, didn't think anyone still played it).

Doooooooooooooooooooooomed!

I'm in agreement with the Mrs. though, the minute anyone starts talking about an expansion pack, people stop living in the present and start focusing on the future and things that are coming. I don't think I need to explain why this flies in the face of their entire philosophy of a Living Story.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What has me a little excited to see is what kind of expansion it will be. Usual expansions for the cookie-cutter MMO's have always been, massive content infusion along with the extra fluff (level cap increase, new class, new race... yada yada). With the unique way Anet is doing things (superior in every way possible) an expansion is probably going to be ... I have no freaking idea... *cries*

Stealth Edit: Level 62 ! I'ma comin !
I expect it to be more similar to a traditional MMO expansion than GW1's campaigns, which were a pretty unique approach (there was no "base game" and players could play a "complete" experience from creation to level cap only owning one campaign). However, I do expect, based on their record so far of adding ongoing development platforms in addition to new content, that an expansion will include some kind of major new feature that none of us will be able to predict.

Other than whatever mystery stuff they focus on, personally I expect it to include:
-A new continent
-New skills for existing classes
-1 or 2 new classes
-1 new race
-New weapon and armor skin sets for all races

I hope against a level cap increase and higher armor stats, but if it's far enough off I could see it happening.

That is how the earnings release reads to me, basically. I wonder how much NCSoft even dictates or knows ArenaNet's plans in this area. I suppose if they issued an edict ("You will roll out an expansion in 2013), ANet would have to acquiesce, but there doesn't seem to be any evidence that's happening.

Retro

That is how the earnings release reads to me, basically. I wonder how much NCSoft even dictates or knows ArenaNet's plans in this area. I suppose if they issued an edict ("You will roll out an expansion in 2013), ANet would have to acquiesce, but there doesn't seem to be any evidence that's happening.

That doesn't sound like NCSoft, at least according to ArenaNet comments;

Josh Foreman said:
Indeed. I’ve been in this industry for 16 years and worked with a several publishers including Interplay, Sierra, THQ and now NCSoft. And for what it’s worth, the amount of creative freedom that NCSoft gives ArenaNet is MASSIVE compared to the others. NCSoft is crazy successful for a reason. They recognize the talent here and support us with a very hands-off policy in general. They give us a LOT of feedback and data to work with, but I’ve never got the impression that they are overlords like I have with the other publishers I’ve worked under. (source)

There have been a few others like this, but that's the only one I remembered well enough to find quickly. I don't think NCSoft orders anyone at ArenaNet around, at least not at that level.

That doesn't sound like NCSoft, at least according to ArenaNet comments;

There have been a few others like this, but that's the only one I remembered well enough to find quickly. I don't think NCSoft orders anyone around, at least not at that level.

That's not exactly true.

The relationship between NCsoft and Anet is exactly as Josh describes it and always has been. However, that's a special snowflake of a relationship. NCsoft has a much more "normal" relationship with it's other Dev companies, especially those that are homegrown. They push games to release early, pressure for numbers, etc.. just like any other Publisher. They just don't do it to Anet.

Retro

That's not exactly true.

The relationship between NCsoft and Anet is exactly as Josh describes it and always has been. However, that's a special snowflake of a relationship. NCsoft has a much more "normal" relationship with it's other Dev companies, especially those that are homegrown. They push games to release early, pressure for numbers, etc.. just like any other Publisher. They just don't do it to Anet.

Ah yeah, I kind of meant anyone at ArenaNet. Edited my post for clarity.

They definitely have pushed their other developers around. Hopefully though, the fruits of their relationship with ArenaNet leads to other developers getting some slack... then again, maybe they need someone to crack the whip every now and then until the prove otherwise.

HappyHunting

Neo Member
Anyone know any game journalists ? There really should be an article somewhere that properly encompasses what Anet has done over the past months in GW2. Seriously this needs to be done....

Retro

Anyone know any game journalists ? There really should be an article somewhere that properly encompasses what Anet has done over the past months in GW2. Seriously this needs to be done....

I don't think it's a secret at this point that they're switching to a twice-a-month update schedule starting tomorrow. I think they're waiting to see how it goes before they make a big fuss about it, and if they manage to get these two May updates out and maybe one in June, they'll make some noise. No other MMO developer has done bi-monthly content pushes like this before, and certainly not at this scale.

I think the devs are waiting with baited breath for everything to go smoothly so they can say "Okay, yeah, we can totally do this every two weeks, rock on". Then, I think, we'll hear something in the press. At least I hope so, they deserve some attention for their amazing work so far.

come on elona expansion, with a crystal desert living story to build up to it.

They're adding a desert-themed PVP map, for what it's worth. I was down in Ebonhawke yesterday looking at their weapons for my Thief, and I stopped by the Desert Gate just for the hell of it. Someday, that's gonna be open. Just like the other portals / exits that go nowhere;

iktSpBjeZ10NJ.jpg

(More details here). I've been to a few of those, they definitely look like they're temporary barriers designed to be removed someday. He also doesn't include areas that already exists, but don't have any way into them. For example, the floating castle in Kessex Hills or the Ruined Nolani Academy in the Black Citadel.

Lunar15

I think the dragons deserve an expansion. Ultimately, I agree with what's been said: It's too early for Anet themselves to comment on an expansion, since it defeats their efforts with the Living Story. Honestly, I'd say we shouldn't even think about an expansion coming out until the second or third anniversary of the game. I'd personally say late 2014 at the earliest.

Anet has even said they're not focusing on new areas at all this year, but rather using the living story to increase interest in existing areas. It's a cost-saving strategy: they're using a lot of existing assets to keep the userbase around long enough and increase attention towards the gem store.

Also: I believe that the areas that have closed entrances are probably areas that were in the works but were ultimately cut from the game. Anet DID have to cut a lot of content before launch (as all game developers do). Since areas were built at different times, it's not surprising if they had built lion's arch with an entrance to a planned dominion of the winds, but once that area was cut, they didn't remove the entrance in LA. They could totally revisit these areas, but I'm pretty positive it won't happen this year.

Retro

I think the dragons deserve an expansion. Ultimately, I agree with what's been said: It's too early for Anet themselves to comment on an expansion, since it defeats their efforts with the Living Story. Honestly, I'd say we shouldn't even think about an expansion coming out until the second or third anniversary of the game. I'd personally say late 2014 at the earliest.

Yeah, I think an expansion this year is impossible, and any time before this time next year is really pushing it. They've surprised us before though.

Reknoc

I don't play PvP so that map is no good to me :(

Crystal Desert is definitely coming, I just hope it's sooner rather than later and definitely not through an expansion

Retro

I don't play PvP so that map is no good to me :(

Crystal Desert is definitely coming, I just hope it's sooner rather than later and definitely not through an expansion

Right, I was just using that as an example that they have some desert area assets developed, at least. I don't think it's any clear indication what's coming other than... a PVP map with a desert theme.

We've talked about this in Mumble a bit, but there's no real reason why ArenaNet has to wait for an expansion to add zones. Southsun already proved that large chunks of land can be added in whenever they're ready. I wouldn't be surprised if they start putting new zones in to build towards an expansion, rather than dump them all on people at once. For example, if we're heading towards the Crystal Desert next, opening up the Scavenger's Causeway a month or two in advance would set the stage for that to happen.

Especially since the Living Story allows them to start telling the story of the new areas before they hit. One of the problems with MMO expansions, at least the ones I've experienced, is that everyone is in such a rush to see and do everything that they don't appreciate what they're doing. There's this mad frenzy where everyone just blows through the content. They don't live in the present, but instead rush through to see the next cool thing. It doesn't even have to be about the level/gear increase, it's just... all that new stuff all at once. Maybe that's just because WoW expansions were the only time decent non-dungeon/raid content was added and people were starved for it.

In fact, I'd rather not have an expansion in the traditional sense. I'd honestly be okay if they said "Okay, here's the expansion, it adds a new race and some weapons and whatever, but we're going to introduce the zones slowly with the Living Story." I'm sure the forums would be positively rabid at content being gated that way, but I think it'd fit their philosophy and make the whole experience more memorable.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm hoping for both the Ring of Fire and Crystal Desert to have open zones prior to a boxed expansion.

edit: The hell is that thing..

Looking at That Shaman's super zoomable lore map.. I noticed/realized something. Nearly every zone is forced to have physical boundries that only allow for zoning to happen at specific points. This is obviously necessary for some reason.. perhaps it's even a limitation of the Anet's server tech... but I sort of miss the ability to cross from one zone to the next without having to be a road or see a loading screen.

It's not a deal breaker at all but it's a cool bit for immersion.

Reknoc

I, personally would like them to pretty much repeat how they did the expansions for Guild Wars. Only this time with living stories to build up to it.

HappyHunting

Neo Member
I, personally would like them to pretty much repeat how they did the expansions for Guild Wars. Only this time with living stories to build up to it.

As long as they keep the brunt of their content in living stories I would like this as well. Just set the plate with the expansion and let the living stories do the rest.

nataku

I hope they add some non-rectangular zones to the game other than DR going forward. The world map looks so odd when everything is rectangular shaped with thin mountain lines bordering the zones.

Please ANet, move away from rectangular zones. It drives me nuts that a company so focused on creating a believable world has a world map that looks like it does. One of my pet peeves of GW2.

I believe they've said in the past they won't be doing what GW1 did with the stand alone campaigns, and that it'll be normal expansions for GW2 (like Eye of the North was for GW1). Though that was a long time ago and things could obviously be different now.

Personally, I'd rather they go the expansion route, but include the original GW2 plus previous expansions with every new expansion. Make sure the userbase isn't split at all.

I loved the expansions in GW1 and the quicker they do one for GW2 the better.

I really hope they use Living Story to open some of these closed gates so we don't have to wait for expansions to see more of the world.

Bring back updated versions of Fissure of Woe and Underworld!!!

Retro

As long as they keep the brunt of their content in living stories I would like this as well. Just set the plate with the expansion and let the living stories do the rest.

Absolutely my preferred method of content delivery. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me at all if, given how successful ArenaNet has been so far without charging any money for content, they just hang the idea of expansions altogether and just say "You know what? We had all of this content planned for an expansion, but we're just going to release it for free over the span of half a year."

Content doesn't get dumped all at once, but is instead carefully layered in. The story proceeds towards exciting new frontiers without immediately invalidating them in a matter of days or even hours. The storyline can end on cliffhangers until the next update (which, if this whole thing in May works out, would only be two weeks away).

It's like... instead of paying for 2 hours of a movie, you just watch a season of episodes. That's actually not a bad example, because you pay all at once to see a movie (and it tends to be expensive), but for television you really only have to resist buying all of the stuff they show on commercials (Granted, it's much easier to resist buying a Slapchop at 4 in the morning than it is to avoid buying adorable minipets that serve no purpose... yet....).

HappyHunting

Neo Member
Absolutely my preferred method of content delivery. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me at all if, given how successful ArenaNet has been so far without charging any money for content, they just hang the idea of expansions altogether and just say "You know what? We had all of this content planned for an expansion, but we're just going to release it for free over the span of half a year."

Content doesn't get dumped all at once, but is instead carefully layered in. The story proceeds towards exciting new frontiers without immediately invalidating them in a matter of days or even hours. The storyline can end on cliffhangers until the next update (which, if this whole thing in May works out, would only be two weeks away).

It's like... instead of paying for 2 hours of a movie, you just watch a season of episodes. That's actually not a bad example, because you pay all at once to see a movie (and it tends to be expensive), but for television you really only have to resist buying all of the stuff they show on commercials (Granted, it's much easier to resist buying a Slapchop at 4 in the morning than it is to avoid buying adorable minipets that serve no purpose... yet....).

Off-Current-Topic: Was showing my gf how the game works last night and she saw the baby lion mini pet. Her immediate reaction was "how do you not spend money on that cute thing", followed by a "You need to buy that right now"...

Retro

Off-Current-Topic: Was showing my gf how the game works last night and she saw the baby lion mini pet. Her immediate reaction was "how do you not spend money on that cute thing", followed by a "You need to buy that right now"...

Has she seen the Quaggans yet? I can always tell when my wife finds a village of them, there's an excited squeak followed by "Awwwwww". The minute they put out a plush Quaggan, I'm sure they'll sell out absurdly quick. Not bad for critters that were originally intended as a joke and called "Poobags".

Reknoc

I believe they've said in the past they won't be doing what GW1 did with the stand alone campaigns, and that it'll be normal expansions for GW2 (like Eye of the North was for GW1). Though that was a long time ago and things could obviously be different now.

Personally, I'd rather they go the expansion route, but include the original GW2 plus previous expansions with every new expansion. Make sure the userbase isn't split at all.

I don't mind if it's not stand alone (though that was pretty cool) but I'd definitely want to see them be similar content wise (new country, new classes, ethnicity)

nataku

I don't really see them doing this unless selling gem store items linked to each LS bring in more cash than and expansion ever could.

Even then, expansions generate hype and get new people interested in the game. The LS won't do the same thing, even if it is the same amount of content. It simply won't be covered by gaming media or displayed in places like GameStop the same way an expansion would be.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I want to see Kralkatorrik's crater so bad.
jbwMAnWP6rUjLf.png

Look how big it is compared to Ebonhawke. It must get nuts as you get closer to it considering how intense the "Babybrand" up in Ascalon can be.

Looking at That Shaman's super zoomable lore map.. I noticed/realized something. Nearly every zone is forced to have physical boundries that only allow for zoning to happen at specific points. This is obviously necessary for some reason.. perhaps it's even a limitation of the Anet's server tech... but I sort of miss the ability to cross from one zone to the next without having to be a road or see a loading screen.

It's not a deal breaker at all but it's a cool bit for immersion.
Absolutely a technical limitation and one that's probably unsolvable based on how exactly it mirrors GW1. Definitely a pity, I love completely open worlds without borders, but the tradeoffs are worth it.

Retro

I don't really see them doing this unless selling gem store items linked to each LS bring in more cash than and expansion ever could.

Even then, expansions generate hype and get new people interested in the game. The LS won't do the same thing, even if it is the same amount of content. It simply won't be covered by gaming media or displayed in places like GameStop the same way an expansion would be.

True on all counts. I didn't say it was a sound business plan, just my ideal way to integrate content into the game. Chances are good that when it's time for an expansion, it'll be a boxed thing with exclusive content. I'll buy it, you'll buy it, we'll all buy it... but part of me thinks about the people who bought GW2 and left (for whatever reason) who might come back to find the content is unavailable without another purchase and not bother with it.

The fact that we have MMO threads on GAF where we mention the new stuff in GW2 and people say "Oh, wow, really? I'll have to give it a try again" is nice. Probably not nicer than the profits from an expansion, but still nice.

Ashodin

I don't see them announcing any sort of "expansion" until August really, around the anniversary of the game, (which will be nuts, I imagine)

Ashodin

Also ANet couldn't give any less fucks about the status quo and "expansions make people buy more!"

The ideal is to make the game compelling without having to "drive" new sales through expansions. New crazy things added to the game (SAB) have already done that without an expansion hype.

Also ANet couldn't give any less fucks about the status quo and "expansions make people buy more!"

The ideal is to make the game compelling without having to "drive" new sales through expansions. New crazy things added to the game (SAB) have already done that without an expansion hype.

I disagree but even if Anet "couldn't give any less fucks" about expansions.. they're going to make a boxed expansion and put it out eventually because it makes a large amount of money. More money than what they get with the gem shop stuff because everyone who is actively playing must buy an expansion to continue with the new content.

HappyHunting

Neo Member

I disagree but even if Anet "couldn't give any less fucks" about expansions.. they're going to make a boxed expansion and put it out eventually because it makes a large amount of money. More money than what they get with the gem shop stuff because everyone who is actively playing must buy an expansion to continue with the new content.

Both posts are very true. IMO there needs to be a boxed expand for a single reason: it's value that investors in NCsoft see as a tangible gain. We also cannot forget that the recent earnings show that GW2 is making more money than predicted... so where do they go from here ? Discounted expansions my friends.

I'm still a firm believer that with Anet's current set up they should be using expansions to help set up their living stories; along with some new skills and all that fluff.

Either way I can only see GW2 being the Sean Connery of the MMO world. Just get younger as time goes by...

Ashodin

What I'm telling you is that Anet is so hands off'd by NCSoft I am sure they could sell NCSoft that having no expansions but huge content pushes would be just the same. You could market it similar to an expansion. But what if it didn't cost a thing? That would be a radical idea.

I want a future where the only money I paid for Guild Wars 2 was the $150 at the beginning. Free expansions for all!

Why so many of you against expansions?

I feel like some of you think that the bi-weekly updates will end because they are working on an expansion but I don't think that is the case at all.

Which ever path expands the world more via new zones in the current map or new continents I am totally for it.

Really looking forward to tomorrow.

Wonder if there will be a Meta Event in Southsun with a bonus chest.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, you're all talking about sensible points. It would be a tough sell for NCSoft, because they (like any publisher) don't particularly care about the quality of the content unless it's abjectly poor (in which case they'd step in and make executive decisions out of the hands of the devs). On the other hand, an expansion is a guaranteed initial infusion of cash regardless of quality.

What I mean is that GW2 may have great free upcoming content as a result of ArenaNet's effort, or it may have spectacularly awesome free upcoming content, but NCSoft would have to be convinced that the difference between great and spectacularly awesome would translate to more revenue than a good or even mediocre paid expansion. And it's a tough sell because there's no precedent to point to and go "look! it worked!" They're taking a lot of risks, but NCSoft has remained hands-off because so far they've been pretty successful.

I'm definitely looking forward to taking stock of things on the anniversary. There are theoretically 8 scheduled releases between now and then.
Really looking forward to tomorrow.

Wonder if there will be a Meta Event in Southsun with a bonus chest.
Actually, I think if they really wanted to be clever about it, there won't be one during the length of this story arc (however long it is), but then a new permanent one will be there once it ends. They know that people will flock to the zone to do the new temporary content, and a new Bonus event would be a great way to keep people coming back.

FREE MEGADESTROYER

What I'm telling you is that Anet is so hands off'd by NCSoft I am sure they could sell NCSoft that having no expansions but huge content pushes would be just the same. You could market it similar to an expansion. But what if it didn't cost a thing? That would be a radical idea.

I want a future where the only money I paid for Guild Wars 2 was the $150 at the beginning. Free expansions for all!

Anet's got some charismatic staff but I don't think they're so good as to make NCsoft's Accountants forget math.

Edit: For clarity.. it doesn't matter how much money is made in the Gem Shop during these smaller content updates because any Board worth their salt will simply say "Well that's great. We'll get even more money from this game when they release the expansion!" There is never making "enough" money. As long as there is room for more to be made, a good business will attempt to make it.

Ashodin

Anet's got some charismatic staff but I don't think they're so good as to make NCsoft's Accountants forget math.

I'd like to think that the initial drop off of people who will "pause" their playing to wait for an expansion will balance those who buy in at an expansion release.

I don't like the splintering of the community into "those who are waiting for the good stuff" and "those who are still playing like zealots". Each side will argue with the other, one saying the game is already good, keep playing, and the other saying "nah the best stuff is in expac, im waiting"

You got people like markot who already believe the game will just inherently be "better" in an expansion and that is ludicrous thinking.

nataku

Why so many of you against expansions?

I feel like some of you think that the bi-weekly updates will end because they are working on an expansion but I don't think that is the case at all.

They'll definitely do both the LS, bi-weekly updates and expansions. They'll complement each other well, too.

They'll definitely do both the LS, bi-weekly updates and expansions. They'll complement each other well, too.

Agreed. They need to be careful with expansions, though. With more area on the map that players can be in, you run into sparser populations in general. (more zones+flat concurrency of players=less average players per zone)

Basically, they need to not introduce too many zones or too many zones too quickly or they risk depopulating the older zones.

I'd like to think that the initial drop off of people who will "pause" their playing to wait for an expansion will balance those who buy in at an expansion release.

I don't like the splintering of the community into "those who are waiting for the good stuff" and "those who are still playing like zealots". Each side will argue with the other, one saying the game is already good, keep playing, and the other saying "nah the best stuff is in expac, im waiting"

You got people like markot who already believe the game will just inherently be "better" in an expansion and that is ludicrous thinking.

Drop off doesn't matter with no subscription. The two keys to making money with Anet's model are keeping people buying boxes (Base game and/or expansions) and keeping desirable items in the gem shop.

The amount of people playing the game only really matters in the sense that a world that feels "dead" isn't appealing to new players.. but new and old players will automatically influx at the release of an Expansion.. so that's not a concern.

In any case, Living Story content provides constant new content so there shouldn't be the same desire to wait for an Expansion as there is in other games. By waiting, you're still missing out on content.

Agreed. They need to be careful with expansions, though. With more area on the map that players can be in, you run into sparser populations in general. (more zones+flat concurrency of players=less average players per zone)

Basically, they need to not introduce too many zones or too many zones too quickly or they risk depopulating the older zones.

The solve this with a combination of things.

Older starter zones and racial convergence zones (mid level areas where for example Asura and Sylvari races finally cross leveling paths) get large overhauls.. adding new DE's and maybe even terrain changes. Refreshes the area for rerolls and provides fresh lore to keep up with the Living Story changes.

New high level or geographically incongruous areas have new unique named/looking gear sets as well as at least one DE with a chest+bonus chest.

nataku

Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised to see a system similar to the zaishen quests get put into the game as they start expanding the amount of zones in the game. Maybe not daily, but a weekly system could work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom