• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jira

New build

Balance, bug-fixing and polish:

Fused weapon tickets are no longer available in Black Lion Chests.
Citizens! The Shark Boss crier will no longer be a bother. Please excuse his bad behavior.
Prevented Levvi from getting killed and temporarily blocking the scavenger hunt on Southsun Cove.
Fixed an issue with crab toss where players would get stuck on a team reserved for those carrying the crab.
This subsequently fixes an issue where more than one player wins, but the winner does not get a winner’s prize.
This also fixes an issue with the achievement for winning Crab Toss.
Closed an exploit that allowed some players to still access the final molten dungeon instance.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
tighten up the Molten Alliance screw.

Farewell, Flame and Frost.

Digging the shit out of the update so far, haven't tried the minigame yet.

I hope Southsun retains a number of these events permanently. It is so much better it's ridiculous.

leng jai

So the new content is good? The skins are once again behind a RNG wall but it's not like I want any of them anyway.

Once again zero Mesmer fixes. High priority lawl.

demented

I haven't played for few months and I was just wondering how's the gearing up/life at 80 working now?

When I quit it was: grind dungeon xxx times to get xxxx tokens for just 1 spec (if you're going for stats and not just looks), and then when they added ascended gear grind xxx fractals, and then laurels do dailies for x years to be able to afford few things...

Yeah I know you don't NEED any of that but it is what I, and most of my friends that quit, care about, having best looking gear, best stats, doing most damage, min-max etc.
I guess you could argue grinding (forever) is a price to pay if you want best but yeah..

Plus we had nothing to do beside WvWvW that got boring because back then there was no progress or sense of achievement, think they added some stuff now.

P.S. I still hate trahearne's voice actor.

P.P.S. Is sPvP still pointless?

hythloday

They did add Ascended pieces to the Guild commendation merchant so there's another avenue to get them. Guild commendations are pretty easy to pick up each week. Between those and occasionally remembering to finish my daily, I got 3 Ascended things pretty quickly. Also they changed up the way dailies/monthlies work, with the way the achievements change they don't feel like as much of a chore as they used to (for me anyway).

The dungeon token system hasn't really changed, but AC did get a revamp. WvW did get some additions to give it a sense of progression, like you mentioned.

Besides those things, it may not exactly be what you want, but give it a shot. It's possible to min/max and play for the best stats and everything, but since it's not the 'point' (in my opinion) it might not be as rewarding for you.

I don't play PVP so I can't comment on that particular area! Custom arenas and spectator mode are currently in beta, though.

demented

Yeah I guess, I did however get 100% world exploration, leveled alts, 100% jumping puzzles etc so one can argue I got my money's worth(in short time period too), it's just I think I'm over MMOs completely, just don't have time or willpower to play them ( or games at all at this point) and I'm just trying to justify or make myself play it somehow :/

Super casual playstyle mixed with super hardcore things to do isn't working out unsurprisingly heh

They added filters and custom rooms to the Hot Join browser in SPvP so what a lot of us have been doing for Hot Join is filtering for 5v5 matches which make Hot Join infinitely more fun and balanced.

They also changed Tourney's to being 1-off matches (rather than brackets) and they no longer require "tickets." If you still have tickets in your inventory, you can turn those in for some free chests.

The meta of TPvP is still constantly changing but pretty much every class has strengths. They do need to continue working to give some classes more viable build variety (Warriors and Thieves especially). Overall though it's a lot more fun with the changes they've made.

tighten up the Molten Alliance screw.

Farewell, Flame and Frost.

Digging the shit out of the update so far, haven't tried the minigame yet.

I hope Southsun retains a number of these events permanently. It is so much better it's ridiculous.

careful with crabtoss. It has some good amount of skill lag and general lag

Anno

Did a good two hours of Crab Toss. Great, stupid fun. About halfway through the two long achievements, and got the two one-off cheevos. Great addition! Even if it's dumb.

Yeah I guess, I did however get 100% world exploration, leveled alts, 100% jumping puzzles etc so one can argue I got my money's worth(in short time period too), it's just I think I'm over MMOs completely, just don't have time or willpower to play them ( or games at all at this point) and I'm just trying to justify or make myself play it somehow :/

Super casual playstyle mixed with super hardcore things to do isn't working out unsurprisingly heh

Give it some more time. Maybe in a year or so there are more legitimate and consitent ways to achieve laurels. the game is really fun if you are not playing it you are. I would hate the game if I did dungeon after dungeon after dungeon. path to misery right there. the ascended gear is supposed to take a long time. i personally dont even think about it. I just get laurels in the background.

Jira

Give it some more time. Maybe in a year or so there are more legitimate and consitent ways to achieve laurels. the game is really fun if you are not playing it you are. I would hate the game if I did dungeon after dungeon after dungeon. path to misery right there. the ascended gear is supposed to take a long time. i personally dont even think about it. I just get laurels in the background.

That's how I see everything really. It all comes in time, there's no reason to grind yourself into the ground by doing dungeon after dungeon. The nice thing is there's so many ways to do everything in the game that you can mix up your "progression" so nothing becomes stale. If you're the type who MUST min/max, you'll burn yourself out very quickly like any other MMO.

Lunar15

Ok so, why is it even called Crab Toss? There's no incentive to toss the crab whatsoever.

I do love the game in some sort of weird, manic way.

Ashodin

There's nothing quite like the high that comes from grabbing the crab and holding the 4 skill to get as far away as possible. You feel almighty.

3 is run bro

Also, thoughts on Southsun for those oldtimers?

It's fucking so much better now it's ridic.

I feel the level scaling in southsun or base creature damage is kind of off. There is no reason for a level 81 veteran karka to spawn when 3 people are doing an event and face roll all of us w/ other level 81 reef rider mobs

Ashodin

I feel the level scaling in southsun or base creature damage is kind of off. There is no reason for a level 81 veteran karka to spawn when 3 people are doing an event and face roll all of us w/ other level 81 reef rider mobs

nope deal with it. this is wild country son

Retro

What's up with that? Does it drop, is it a Fractals thing, is it a RNG thing?

Just get 25 achievements from the Living Story category. Considering talking to people nets you something like 6, finding the Samples nets you another 11 and the crabtoss game earns you a bunch too, it should be pretty easy.

It looks neat. Makes me wish I had a Sylvari who would use it, but alas, I have all of the professions I want to play reserved and the Sylvari I have is... not the flowery type.

Katoki

If you ask me, I think it looks nice.

Left is Human T3 medium and right is that Krytan jacket skin from the gem store.

ib47rRlgNO5Ci.jpg

ohh my good. TENTACLES. TENTACLES!!!!!! JESSUS. JESUS!!! my necro will be amazing with these, hahaha.

you can make it ascended;
The Sclerite Karka Shell can be upgraded to an ascended version by throwing it into the mystic forge with 50 glob of ectoplasm + 250 karka shells + 100 passion flowers (appearance remains the same).

gw2-sclerite-karka-shell-3.jpg

brilliant!! Absolutely brilliant!

Contrary to other opinions on this thread, I think Guild Wars 2 may not be for you. You want a goal-centric, gear-centric MMO, and that's the opposite of GW2's design. Dungeons are in a much better state now than before, but you already experienced Fractals, and rather than content to enjoy, you see them as a means to an end, more chores to grind to have best-in-slot; there's no way you're going to enjoy GW2 like that. :/

Further, it seems you have the notion that an MMO should take every minute of your free time, providing reasons to repeat the same content over and over and over. This made more sense with fee-based MMOs, but I don't really think it's neither healthy nor sustainable in the long run, and since GW2 has no fee, it's not like you have to justify playing it. Simply try all the new content and if something clicks, and you want to do it for itself, go ahead.

Molten Facility was the best dungeon I played on GW2 yet; while it was up, I didn't play any other dungeon, even though it has no token rewards. It was just plain fun from beginning to end.

Sorry, I've always felt that the reward-oriented model of old MMOs is pretty unhealthy, and having recently completed a Coursera course on Gamification, it really drove the point home. Extrinsic rewards are extremely limited in how they can motivate in the long run.

Ok so, why is it even called Crab Toss? There's no incentive to toss the crab whatsoever.

I was thinking the exact same yesterday. Perhaps because your objective is to make others toss their crabs? I think the real reason is that it was probably a mix of Keg Brawl and keepaway at some point, with player teams tossing the crab among themselves or something.

Katoki

So having "kick from guild" as an available option while you're in party isn't the greatest thing. Ended up kicking Adria at some point without knowing it because we couldn't boot him from party and didn't realize it til I looked at the history since there were reports of Adria not representing but drifting around in a half online but possibly half offline/disconnect state.

Whoops.

So having "kick from guild" as an available option while you're in party isn't the greatest thing. Ended up kicking Adria at some point without knowing it because we couldn't boot him from party and didn't realize it til I looked at the history since there were reports of Adria not representing but drifting around in a half online but possibly half offline/disconnect state.

Whoops.

'cism

Katoki

Of all the rounds I've been through, mine rarely go over 150. I'm also not concerned about getting the top score anymore since all I need are the pick up and what not achievements.

jersoc

Whoops.

it's for the best

Reknoc

Of all the rounds I've been through, mine rarely go over 150. I'm also not concerned about getting the top score anymore since all I need are the pick up and what not achievements.

my personal best is like 30 or something lol

whatevs though, got my cheevo and title. Only crabtoss ones I need now are the 300 grabs and the Crabtacular one.

first couple times i went in crab toss i thought it sucked and would be a pain in the ass to get the three achievements.

guess i was wrong!

Exact thing happened to me.

First two games barely held the crab more than once or twice.

Then I posted on guild chat that I hated this game.

Next match i won and got 2 achievements completed.

I wonder if you upgrade that Flower Backpiece can be upgraded to have Agony Resistance inherent in the item will it shiny even more. Like the fractal capacitor.

HappyHunting

Neo Member
Exact thing happened to me.

First two games barely held the crab more than once or twice.

Then I posted on guild chat that I hated this game.

Next match i won and got 2 achievements completed.

I wonder if you upgrade that Flower Backpiece can be upgraded to have Agony Resistance inherent in the item will it shiny even more. Like the fractal capacitor.

This is how my Crab Toss experience went:

Game 1: "ok what is happening, alright quickly look at skills"
Game 2: "hmm why is he running so far while I move 2 feet and freeze"
Guild Chat: I hate this crab toss. Complain about skill 3 being stupid.
Guild Chat: Rika, hold the button... it's in the tooltip.
Game 3: "ahahahahah can't catch me !"

I'm shamed.

Edit: How do people win at this ? Best I have gotten is 4th... :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
P.P.S. Is sPvP still pointless?
It'd possibly interest you that you can get your daily/monthly laurels from PvP now.

I don't know though man. If you just want to "gear up" and don't care about looks just get Karma/TP pieces. What do you want it for? If you expect the process and result of acquiring statistically better gear to be particularly satisfying in this game, you'll be totally disappointed.
careful with crabtoss. It has some good amount of skill lag and general lag
Not for me. Won my last six matches in a row. My record in crab toss is 8 wins, 3 losses, 1 tie.

I love it. Once you get good, it's a blast, and the trolling potential when you have the crab is just so delicious. I was having fun just playing and just forgot about the chest multiple times (I hate how nontransparent stuff pops up in the center of your screen when there's a chest to get; same as in fractals).

edit: Got Crabtacular, half to Crab Grabber woot.
Did a good two hours of Crab Toss. Great, stupid fun. About halfway through the two long achievements, and got the two one-off cheevos. Great addition! Even if it's dumb.
You just don't understand the finesse, thinking sport that is Crab Toss
first couple times i went in crab toss i thought it sucked and would be a pain in the ass to get the three achievements.

guess i was wrong!
So THAT'S who you are.

Pah! Tossing the crab is a totally valid move when you're out of dodges and cooldowns and have people on you. You can either clear the crowd and try to get to it again before anyone else, or throw it directly to someone. It will knock them down, get the timing right and then you can immediately steal it back before they have a chance to do anything.

Plus they toss the crab into the arena!
Pah again! The scaling seems way more appropriate than it does in Orr right now. It's supposed to be dangerous! Reflection, condition removal and retreats are all really good ideas.

edit:
Asset added-
TsduNDg.png

gimmegimmegimme

Might jump back into GW2 after a 3 or 4 month hiatus. Any major changes I should know about?

I have a lvl 80 guardian and a lvl 20 or so warrior. Ran a bunch of dungeons and fractals before moving onto different games but I've had itch to fire up GW2 again.

Thanks!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Mindblown!

I never read it. I have no idea how I won't by just pressing 3 and not holding.
That is difficult to comprehend, very impressive. The full run (especially through a karka while it rolls over everybody else) is the best part of crab toss. Cantcatchmeeeeee
Sickle is RNG?
Where'd you get that from?

Nobody knows how to get it. It'd be pretty obnoxious if it weren't merely sold outright for 800 gems though. Why discriminate against harvesting?
I actually want the logging axe more, nobody's found the in-game code for it yet
Might jump back into GW2 after a 3 or 4 month hiatus. Any major changes I should know about?

I have a lvl 80 guardian and a lvl 20 or so warrior. Ran a bunch of dungeons and fractals before moving onto different games but I've had itch to fire up GW2 again.

Thanks!
3 or more months means you probably haven't seen Guild Missions yet, at least?

Pity you missed the Super Adventure Box and the end of the first story arc, Flame and Frost. :( But new stuff just started yesterday!
Just stuck 10g into the transfer fund.

Did CM story earlier. I think I died about 20 times :/
Thanks for the donation!

And bwah!? CM Story was ludicrously easy last time I did it. Did you have armor at your level?

3 or more months means you probably haven't seen Guild Missions yet, at least?

Pity you missed the Super Adventure Box and the end of the first story arc, Flame and Frost. :( But new stuff just started yesterday!

Yea last I played was the beginning of Flame and Frost, haven't hopped back on since. Hopefully I haven't been kicked out of the Guild... :/

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yea last I played was the beginning of Flame and Frost, haven't hopped back on since. Hopefully I haven't been kicked out of the Guild... :/
No big deal if you have.

A note for people of the procrastinatory, unlucky or unaware nature (no idea if jwood reads this thread, but hey):
Hi everyone,

We understand the frustration about not having enough notice to claim the achievement. The original date given for the Epilogue was incorrect, and while we corrected date in forum posts and on the website, some did not see the updated information or have the time to collect that achievement.

We will put the bonfires back in the game tomorrow, sometime during ArenaNet office hours, so players who missed out can get the Rallying Flame achievement. The bonfires will not give any buffs, however.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

EDIT: The bonfires will remain in-game until May 28.
I feel like expounding a little bit on the philosophical implications of this... but whatever. Get yer cheevos while they're fresh

Atrophis

And bwah!? CM Story was ludicrously easy last time I did it. Did you have armor at your level?

I may be a ghetto level 80 in masterwork but yeah I got 80 armour :p

There are a ton of annoying mobs in there and they were hitting crazy hard. Like harder than in any other dungeon I've been in before. Maybe our group just sucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom