• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never read anything about new skills. It looked more like readjusting numbers or something.

Think less "new" and more "re-worked" like Larcenous Strike. Technically it was a new skill even though it's a rework. But a couple classes were supposed to get adjustments to change things. Thief, I remember, was supposed to get more mobility on at least one other weapon set to move them away from the reliance on SB for example.

Katoki

B-b-but... short bow is king!

I also forgot about larcenous strike since sword main hand feels slower than usual as of late.

I was messing around with that one because of the high-reliance we put on it.

Not much time to play lately?

I've been on a TLoU MP tear lately. I want to get some time in to do the new storyline stuff but I can't devote time to it during the day lately and the evenings my shooter friends are online for TLoU. I'll be back when the luster wears away from that though.

Lunar15

I love all the new condition buffing, because as a condition controlling guardian, this just makes my job even more important.

Also, man they are so going to nerf altrustic healing. I just feel it in my bones.

Proven

I was about to post in this thread about my pessimism of next week's balance patch, and then I read the blog post.

Now, I'm actually pretty excited. My Warrior condition build may even get a buff if the condi-removing trait is accessible enough, since it revolves around bursting every 5 seconds.

But, now that I've had a few more minutes to mull about it, I can see how this won't be the overhall I'm looking for. They are probably looking to address about two builds per class. For example, Mesmer and to a lesser degree Thief, have access to just about every condition in the game but neither has a top tier condition damage build; their burst builds outshine them, and Necro/Engineer have better condition damage builds. So, they're giving them the new condition (not even released yet and no longer an exclusive condition, heh).

Another example comes to Necro, where they want to buff their condition builds a little bit to be more on par with Engineers. Along with that, they're adding better stun breaker diversity, which may change up my build (I would give so much to have the 25 point trait in the Gluttony line be "Entering Death Shroud now counts as a stun break").

AND THANK GOD THEY FINALLY BUFFED WEAKNESS TO ACTUALLY DEAL WITH SPIKE DAMAGE. I don't have to take anymore bullshit from people saying "but weakness' real purpose was attacking endurance". No, it was never that. That was just an added thing to make the condition have a second benefit.

As for something positive about the current state of the game: I always liked the fact that conditions often came with two benefits, while boons usually gave one really strong benefit. Bleeds did damage over time and also stacked with intensity; Chill reduced movement and affected your cooldowns; Poison did damage and also reduced healing power on a target. Cripple and Burning actually felt kinda boring in comparison.

Anyway, I'm happy. In the end, it probably won't change too much, but it will also probably change more than any other patch they've done post-release, and be better for it.

Ashodin

Cripple and Burning actually felt kinda boring in comparison.

Hello Kevin Smith!

I would love a change to burning or some "further" condition that makes it so people get first-degree burns or something, longer lasting duration, less damage. A clock on your health. If you can push into the condition again it stacks in intensity, becoming second degree, and then third degree.

Katoki

Hello Kevin Smith!

I would love a change to burning or some "further" condition that makes it so people get first-degree burns or something, longer lasting duration, less damage. A clock on your health. If you can push into the condition again it stacks in intensity, becoming second degree, and then third degree.

Burning!… burning!

It's not until now that I've actually started thinking about conditions and what a character says when it happens. It seems the asura have the most obvious and varied ones. All we humans ever hear is "I can outrun a centaur," and nothing else.

Proven

Burning!… burning!

It's not until now that I've actually started thinking about conditions and what a character says when it happens. It seems the asura have the most obvious and varied ones. All we humans ever hear is "I can outrun a centaur," and nothing else.

Norn have "Not the leg...". I'll never get tired of their general ambivalence towards crippling injury.

There are voice clips for Bleeding and Chilled, if I recall. Probably for Poison too. Weakness and/or Vulnerability get one too.

You tend to here the ones for boons more though.

Wallach

I swear human females say something like "my liege!" when they get crippled. It doesn't remotely sound like the word leg.

Edit - it is possibly "my league"

Katoki

I find the asuran lines to be most obvious and most interesting.

I swear human females say something like "my liege!" when they get crippled. It doesn't remotely sound like the word leg.

Edit - it is possibly "my league"

I'm pretty sure I hear leg, though it's more of a drawn out sound that includes a bit of agony.

The RNG game is probably going to be the one thing that makes me stop playing permanently if they don't improve the odds of things significantly. There's a middle ground between SAB and low odds RNG, and where they are now is no where near it.

Hell, for me SAB WAS the middle ground. Any more grindy than that, and... no thanks. I guess I've been playing MMOs for too long.

Wow, great catch (whoever it was if not you).
I was pretty to positive that she couldn't be trusted, but the voice acting was actually pretty good there. Thought she might have just been nervous.

Her voice made it WAY too obvious; I wish she had been more neutral. From her first sentence you know she's going to finish off Ashford; it's positively oozing with sardoncism. In fact, so obvious was it for me, that I was half expecting the twist to be that she was somehow innocent, but that would hardly be believable. :D

Levyne

Banned
I sometimes imagine S. Khold screaming "YOU FACE A RANGER NOW" since N. North voiced the ranger character in War of the North and I heard the line a million times

Though I imagine in this game that would strike fear in the hearts of absolutely no one.

Katoki

I sometimes imagine S. Khold screaming "YOU FACE A RANGER NOW" since N. North voiced the ranger character in War of the North and I heard the line a million times

Though I imagine in this game that would strike fear in the hearts of absolutely no one.

Clearly.

The only ones that're difficult are the ones that have their pets heal HP rapidly when they're downed.

docbon

I don't understand why thieves, the most mobile class in the game, will get access to the torment condition. It does seem well suited for necromancer, who's had very poor chasing ability. Now once the enemy enters our zone of control, we can prevent them from fleeing just a bit better.

As for mesmers, I can see it being absurd in conjunction with a confusion condition build.

Wallach

I don't understand why thieves, the most mobile class in the game, will get access to the torment condition. It seems like a condition that would be most suited towards classes with poor chasing, like the necromancer. Gonna facepalm if it's based on initiative.

Yeah, I hope their access to that is very limited. I don't really see why you'd give it to them in the first place. I would have thought like Warrior, Guardian, Necromancer or something.

Edit - I wonder if it isn't a bone tossed for them getting PvP nerfed in this upcoming patch. They are two of the more complained about classes for sure.

Lunar15

Found even more of that sneak preview for the balance update:

New way to select traits! - Trait points are now separate from leveling, and can only be found in brand new "Trait Cases" that randomly drop from enemies all over Tyria! But even if you don't find a trait point in the case, cheer up! We'll be filling them with T1 crafting materials!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't understand why thieves, the most mobile class in the game, will get access to the torment condition. It does seem well suited for necromancer, who's had very poor chasing ability. Now once the enemy enters our zone of control, we can prevent them from fleeing just a bit better.

As for mesmers, I can see it being absurd in conjunction with a confusion condition build.

Yeah, I hope their access to that is very limited. I don't really see why you'd give it to them in the first place. I would have thought like Warrior, Guardian, Necromancer or something.
It would make sense as a poison, or a trait addition to a certain poison.

And yes you should all be afraid of my inevitable "don't do anything" mesmer.

I don't understand why thieves, the most mobile class in the game, will get access to the torment condition. It seems like a condition that would be most suited towards classes with poor chasing, like the necromancer. Gonna facepalm if it's based on initiative.

Because Thieves need another offensive mechanic other than pure dps. Bleeds themselves are a joke for Thieves to apply because of the amount of cleanses and the poison is pretty bad in application as well. That's why the P/D set is only viable in solo attrition fights and why everyone else goes Glass Cannon or the new Boon Stealing. It's a way to give Thieves more build viability to contribute in S/TPvP. With a Torment build, Thieves can contribute to group fights with a mechanic that can't be done better by half the classes in the game.

That being said, they need to tread carefully with Torment as if the damage is too high it's immensely powerful. Witch Elves/Witch Hunters had/have a similar mechanic in Warhammer Online and it absolutely destroyed people because the instinct is to run away from High Spike Dmg classes. So I would expect that to fully use Torment effectively as a Thief, it will require going all the way to Grandmaster Trait in one of the bottom three trait lines. Preferably Trickery or Shadow Arts. I think with Acrobatics it might become too powerful combined with the increased movement options in the line (though it would synergize best there).

Edit: Get out of my head Wallach!

Retro

I don't understand why thieves, the most mobile class in the game, will get access to the torment condition.

Maybe they'll shoehorn it into Larcenous Strike, so it can be an unblockable, double boon-stealing, spammable Torment-inflicting attack that automatically comes from behind. I love my thief, but even I know that's some bullshit.

Found even more of that sneak preview for the balance update:

New way to select traits! - Trait points are now separate from leveling, and can only be found in brand new "Trait Cases" that randomly drop from enemies all over Tyria! But even if you don't find a trait point in the case, cheer up! We'll be filling them with T1 crafting materials!

e56a3.gif

hythloday

Burning!… burning!

Weird, my human thief is like a chatterbox.

"I'm on fire!"
"Venom.. too strong.."
"Freezing! So cold!"

Or that might just be "I'm.. Freezing!"

I have no idea what Witch Elves, Witch Hunters, or WAR are and thus I cannot be influenced by this comment in any way.

A Rogue-like class with 30 second Stealth. Lots of spike dmg and poisons. One of their Stealth openers at launch was an attack that applied a poison dmg that had a short duration unless the enemy ran. If they ran it was constantly reapplied and could drop a Healer from 100% health to dead in somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-10 seconds. It was pretty viscous and garnered a lot of hate from the community. It was eventually nerfed to nearly useless.

docbon

Because Thieves need another offensive mechanic other than pure dps. Bleeds themselves are a joke for Thieves to apply because of the amount of cleanses and the poison is pretty bad in application as well. That's why the P/D set is only viable in solo attrition fights and why everyone else goes Glass Cannon or the new Boon Stealing. It's a way to give Thieves more build viability to contribute in S/TPvP. With a Torment build, Thieves can contribute to group fights with a mechanic that can't be done better by half the classes in the game.

I'm fine with thieves getting access to more mechanics to utilize in new potential builds, just not this one.

It's already impossible to outmaneuver / escape from a thief. :(

Wallach

I have no idea what Witch Elves, Witch Hunters, or WAR are and thus I cannot be influenced by this comment in any way.

They were sort of the same archetype of class from Warhammer Online. Stealth, stabbinses, light armor, what have you. One of their from-stealth openers was a relatively low-damage strike that applied what sounds a lot like this new Torment debuff; you took a stream of constant damage if you tried to move. Thing is, that's kind of a bullshit scenario to push on a person, because the thing that applied it to you did it as the first thing you are able to see and you intuitively know that thing is capable of very high burst damage. So either you stand still and fight something that now has a significant advantage on you or you run and get attacked by something that now has a significant advantage on you.

It's not an inherently shit idea or anything but the opportunity cost needs to be such that the player can't really construct those kinds of situations using it, I think.

Retro

It's already impossible to outmaneuver / escape from a thief. :(

If it's super-limited, it might be okay. Remember that Weakness is basically Anti-Thief Missile (Glancing Crits and Endurance reduction) and Torment is going to make mobility-heavy classes think twice.

I'm not saying it's gonna be open season on Thieves, but they've been pretty good for a while and their time is coming. If they're getting Torment, I bet they're losing a lot more.

this is the part where we argue over the next page and a half

Fine by me, the sooner we hit the big 20k, the sooner we can get rid of that butchered OP and that lame troll title change. OT3 is gonna be sweet; short and sweet OP with a focus on current events (an OP you'll want to read again? gasp) and at this point, the thread has lost most of the post-launch haters and drive-by trolls.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
MMMMM speculative argument so tasty!

That all sounds really awful (witchy elves and hunting witches) and like it basically defined those builds in that game but I will not hop aboard your fear train

Heh I wonder if that's accurate tross. If it's really 1.5x a single stack of bleed on move it will pretty much be completely negligible except for builds attempting to stack DOT conditions anyway, which isn't particularly practical for a PvP thief. Also, if accurate, fucking called it re: Skale Venom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom