• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
uQkkyNQ.jpg

sdJggXY.jpg

Lunar15

I did enjoy the new story stuff. Excited to see what they do with it.

EDIT: Are those the school clothes? Where are the bathing suits, Anet?!

Retro

Looks like the Press Embargo for the next update is starting to lift;
It's all fun and games at Guild Wars 2's dragon bash until someone turns up murdered in Lion's Arch. That's what sets the stage for the newest game update, Sky Pirates of Tyria. Launching on June 25th, the update will see players thrown into a murder investigation headed by Inspector Ellen Kiel, forcing everyone to take part in several events to track down the perpetrator. If you're thinking it's going to have something to do with the eponymous pirates, well, that's a reasonable guess.

This update sees the addition of a new dungeon, the Aetherblade Retreat, which pits players against pirates of a decidedly aerial nature. It also features a wide-scale revamp of traits and skills for every profession to promote a wider range of playable builds, a variety of new rewards including miniatures and monocles
monoclepop9uotq.gif
, and an all-new event tying into the upcoming novel Sea of Sorrows. Custom Arenas and Spectator Mode for PvP are also leaving beta, giving players more ways to enjoy a spirited battle with friends and enemies.
(source)

And on that last note, the next Guild Wars 2 novel, "Sea of Sorrows" comes out next Tuesday. This one is written by Ree Soesbee, who did most of the backstory for the game, so it should be good.

There's also this, from yesterday. Not sure if it's been linked yet;
Marjory's Story: The Last Straw (Part 1)

Where are the bathing suits, Anet?!

Colin was in Guild Chat last night, I believe he said they are coming.

Details of the update include:

- New Story Dungeon: Aetherblade Retreat – Find the hidden entrance to the Aetherblade base and take the fight to the pirates. It’ll take skill, courage, and no small measure of agility to battle through to the Aetherblade Captain and First Mate.
- Sea of Sorrows Scavenger Hunt – In this new, permanent content, players search for clues to the locations of 12 plaques that have been set up to honor the history of the city and its founder, in the novel Sea of Sorrows by our very own Ree Soesbee, narrative designer, ArenaNet, hitting store shelves and Amazon on Tuesday, June 25.
-New Rewards – A variety of new rewards are available, including Aetherblade caches, a First Mate Horrik miniature companion, a stylish monocle and more.
- Skill and Trait Balance Update – The largest balance patch ever is being introduced in this build, which includes significant updates to traits and skills to introduce more viable build diversity. Every profession trait line is seeing changes. Updates also have been made to some less popular skills to improve their effectiveness.
- Custom Arenas and Spectator Mode leaves Beta – Custom PvP arenas allow players to host private matches, and customize their map settings. This feature is leaving beta, which means that Custom Arena Starter Kits will be available for anyone to purchase in the Gem Store. Spectator Mode also is officially out of beta. Together, these two features allow for practice, competitive play and tournaments.
- Mortar Mastery Joins the Growing List of World vs. World Abilities – Players can increase their mortar effectiveness by training in Mortar Mastery. Improvements in this line include increasing mortar blast radius, beefing up on damage, reducing skill recharge, and even adding a new skill, Mortar Barrage.

Cool stuff!

Retro

Cool stuff!

Yeah, looks like the embargo is lifted, I was about to post that stuff from MMORPG.com. I'm guessing that steampunk-esque armor is going to be the Aetherblade dungeon armor, same with the weapons. I hope there's a nice mix of steampunk (Mace, Hammer) and the more pirate-y stuff (I love that rapier).

And no, Beardgate2013 did not come up. He was offline before I had a chance to ask. That's what I get for alt-tabbing.

Levyne

Banned
Man, I am still bummed about incoming pet damage nerf but I'm probably still more hyped about this balance patch than any of the recent living story stuff. (Don't misunderstand, I enjoyed those so far but just didn't heavily anticipate them before their respective releases).

Retro

Man, I am still bummed about incoming pet damage nerf but I'm probably still more hyped about this balance patch than any of the recent living story stuff. (Don't misunderstand, I enjoyed those so far but just didn't heavily anticipate them before their respective releases).

Yeah, the Living Story stuff seems like it's still finding it's place. I think the cutscene this time is a taste of thing to come as they narrow down their storytelling approach and get into the groove of making regular content updates. I like the pacing (seems like we're getting something new to do every day) and the room they have to grow; they can tell a film noir-esque detective story one week, dashing pirate adventures the next.

The biggest letdown this patch for me has been the Dragon Coffers; I understand they want the rarity of the weapons to make them stand out so not everyone has one, but they need to make some cool stuff a little more available. Hopefully the Aetherblade stuff all rocks, the game needs some new, non RNG-based weapon skins.

Have we heard officially that pet damage is getting nerfed? I know Jon Peters said Necros would like this next update, I wonder who else is getting major tweaks... cuz it sounds like everyone.

Arcteryx

I honestly don't think it will be that bad. My guess is we will see a lot of the "your pet does X more dmg/duration on crit" traits improved to more than 10%. In-effect: the potential dmg of your pet won't change, it will just require you to trait into it(which is how it should have been to begin with). Ranger pets are quite OP atm(with none of the dmg increases even) and I'm fine with them taking a slight nerf if we get some buffs in other areas(hopefully we actually get some kind of group support outside of HS or "lol spirits").

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The biggest letdown this patch for me has been the Dragon Coffers; I understand they want the rarity of the weapons to make them stand out so not everyone has one, but they need to make some cool stuff a little more available. Hopefully the Aetherblade stuff all rocks, the game needs some new, non RNG-based weapon skins.
It'd be really nice if it were mostly practical to obtain a single one of these non-tradeable rare skins each time, leaving the RNG-fest to those seeking multiple pieces. The tragic/pragmatic aspect of all this is that it must be incredibly lucrative for them to keep doing it with such similar distributions of odds; I'd like to be sanguine that Aetherblade Caches aren't RNG boxes for the steampunk weapon skins, but instinctually I'm assuming for the moment that they are.

I will, however, predict that the armor sets will be obtainable sans RNG.

It'd be really nice if it were mostly practical to obtain a single one of these non-tradeable rare skins each time, leaving the RNG-fest to those seeking multiple pieces. The tragic/pragmatic aspect of all this is that it must be incredibly lucrative for them to keep doing it with such similar distributions of odds; I'd like to be sanguine that Aetherblade Caches aren't RNG boxes for the steampunk weapon skins, but instinctually I'm assuming for the moment that they are.

I will, however, predict that the armor sets will be obtainable sans RNG.

Right, you should get one as a reward for something, then have the rest be RNG or such.

Currently, it seems that unless your hella lucky, or an achievement grinder, you aren't getting much from many of the events.

Lunar15

I just felt like the achievements were so absurd that they weren't even worth following. I've never been a huge achievement grinder, but so many of the dragon bash ones seemed like hitting F 100 times across a map.

It could have been a multitude of external factors, but I've been playing Guild Wars 2 for nearly a year straight and Dragon Bash was the first thing that completely knocked me out of playing it for two weeks. I probably just hit my limit, and DB wasn't enough to keep me interested. That and I was on such a huge fractal kick for a long time, but now no one ever wants to run fractals. :(

It's also probably Animal Crossing.

Tomas

Banned
Perhaps we don't have to pay for re-distributing traits of the character. It has to be free and does not depend on location. I can never utilize shield or longbow because I don't have traits in those sections.

That or multiple trait configurations per character.

(Looks at charr with steampunk gear)... Meh...

MattyH

quick question im in lions arch grand plaza and im seeing players with film reels over their heads what does this mean

nataku

The RNG game is probably going to be the one thing that makes me stop playing permanently if they don't improve the odds of things significantly. There's a middle ground between SAB and low odds RNG, and where they are now is no where near it.

I can't stand that they're putting these nice weapon skins in the game, easily some of the best looking ones in the game, and they lock them behind this RNG BS almost every time.

I'll agree with Hawkian's statement. Make the first skin more easily obtainable. If you want more, play the RNG lottery. Not everyone has the time to grind and play for hours everyday. They shouldn't just miss out on some things.

Is there a reason when changing characters that guild chat goes away but map and whispers stay? Someone asked last night but I changed characters and didn't notice if anyone answered.

Ceres

Banned
Is there a reason when changing characters that guild chat goes away but map and whispers stay? Someone asked last night but I changed characters and didn't notice if anyone answered.

I've always assumed its because characters aren't bound to one guild and based on choosing "represent" so even if they both are reping the same guild, it always resets the guild chat.

xeris

While all of your characters are automatically in the guild, you still have to hit the represent button on each one separately.

have at it:
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/june-25-2013/

Aetherblade “Not So Secret” Jumping Puzzle – Begins July 1
Introducing a new, permanent jumping puzzle! An Aetherblade airship is hidden inside a holographic mountain – find your way in, fight with the pirates inside, and prove your prowess using a pair of hard-to-find diving goggles.

Follow the noises south of Broadhollow Waypoint in Gendarran Fields to find a mechanical jump pad up the hillside which will start the jumping puzzle.

Info overload...

More on the skill update: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/upcoming-skill-and-trait-changes/

DAMN TORMENT IS UPON US!
New condition

With the introduction of Tainted Shackles, we’ll also be adding a new condition to the game: Torment. This condition is designed to play around with movement, one of our fundamental combat mechanics. Enemies under Torment will take damage periodically; as they move, they’ll take even more damage. In looking to expand the condition diversity of thieves and mesmers, we decided to include Torment skills for those two professions as well.

WEAKNESS BUFF!
Weakness condition change

We have a very interesting change coming to Weakness condition. Currently, Weakness decreases endurance regeneration and causes non-critical hits to have a chance to become glancing blows. We wanted this condition to punish spike damage, but it was a bit underwhelming because critical hits, which are essential to spike damage, have previously bypassed Weakness’s effect. Weakness will now cause all hits, both critical and non-critical, to have a chance to become a glancing blow. We went through and rebalanced a lot of the weakness durations for this change. We think this change will make the condition more meaningful and give it much more play.

New pistol:

Can't wait for the data mining to reveal everything they have put in.

Nothing about the new armor in update page but in the screenshots it is featured heavily.

For laughs: http://imgur.com/a/jLR6o

Levyne

Banned
Re: Torment.

Ha. I don't have a (levelled) thief or mesmer...or necro..but that sounds insane. Move and you'll be dying. Don't move and you'll be killed.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Right, you should get one as a reward for something, then have the rest be RNG or such.

Currently, it seems that unless your hella lucky, or an achievement grinder, you aren't getting much from many of the events.
Well, the achievement/back pieces stuff is totally fine (and has been for all the events so far). You can get a lot of them just from the story missions. It's really not that big a deal, just like it wasn't for the Southsun skins, and the Jetpack (while hugely rare) can just be bought off the TP.

Man, whatever Necros, this
Every profession trait line is seeing changes.
is crazy talk

Some trait lines are just fine and dandy!!!

Weakness/vulnerability builds are going to kick ass...
Aetherblade “Not So Secret” Jumping Puzzle
a new, permanent jumping puzzle
fucking, yes please

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
For example: elementalists have a new grandmaster Air trait that allows them to recharge their air attunement
Fascinating. That's really not specific. Recharge it HOW WHY ARE YOU TEASING US LIKE THIS
In looking to expand the condition diversity of thieves and mesmers, we decided to include Torment skills for those two professions as well.
Oh shit. Missed that

Well looks like I was right to play the shit out of TLoU to completion. GW2 is going to have its hooks back in me for who knows how long...

Hm. If I have access to torment on Scepter/Sword or Scepter/Torch with my Mes, a Torment/Confusion spike build will probably become my favorite thing to do ever
The Aetherblade pirates have hidden caches of plunder around the world in hard-to-reach locations. Scout them out to take a share of treasure and earn special achievements.
So nevermind, sounds like they're not gem store-related at all. I'm on board

Well looks like I was right to play the shit out of TLoU to completion. GW2 is going to have its hooks back in me for who knows how long...

I'm about 2 hours into TLoU, how long does it take to finish? I am going to try to knock it out this weekend so I can be free to enjoy the GW2 next week.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm about 2 hours into TLoU, how long does it take to finish? I am going to try to knock it out this weekend so I can be free to enjoy the GW2 next week.
I kept moving, generally scavenging to survive and not to look for "secrets" or whatever, and I know I missed plenty of optional stuff. 15 hours, 27 minutes on Hard, listen mode off (the correct way to play)

nataku

Torment? Really? I wonder what the damage will be. The complaints were loud enough for confusion, which was extremely easy to avoid killing yourself with. I can't even begin to image the bitching that will happen if people take a decent amount of damage from simply moving.

nataku

I'm going to laugh and then cry when scepter for Mesmer isn't changed at all, and torment is thrown as a random condition on staff or something. They'll probably forget to fix the bouncing issue, too, making it useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom