• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I'm sort of baffled that Peters listed "things we're working on" and they have nothing to do with the issue at hand. The features he listed are just general improvements that people wanted from the start."

They haven't mentioned anything about working on it because the official stance is "deal with it." It's a 24/7 battleground.

The problem isn't night capping, the problem is that people's night populations aren't queueing for wvw for whatever reason. Other players should be punished because your players don't want to play.

What ArenaNet needs are better incentives to WvW for people who aren't enamored with it.

Westlo

This is a good thing;

*yawn* Only a matter of time until it gets added like TOR.

Exactly. A LFG tool like the one in WoW basically removes the need for any social interaction whatsoever; most of my LFG groups were completely silent (the rest consisted of DPS chain-pulling while the healer tries to mana up). They might as well have just added 4 NPCs. And the worst part was that when I DID meet up with somebody cool and talkative, because it was cross-server, you could never group with those people ever again (I think they have cross-server guesting in Pandaria now though).

I'd rather have to spend 5 minutes looking for more people than basically revert back to a near Single-Player MMO mentality. Not like it's hard to get people with the size of GAF Guild and there not being any trinity.

lol

questing gw2 is mainly single player mentality, since you know you don't need to group up with people while questing and killing events is mainly zerging shit.

Also people don't talk in WoW dungeons because mostly everyone already knows what to do, and as for being completely silent.. have you actually tried to start discussions? You'll be surprised at what happens if you say more than Hi and thanks for run.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
"I'm sort of baffled that Peters listed "things we're working on" and they have nothing to do with the issue at hand. The features he listed are just general improvements that people wanted from the start."

They haven't mentioned anything about working on it because the official stance is "deal with it." It's a 24/7 battleground.

The problem isn't night capping, the problem is that people's night populations aren't queueing for wvw for whatever reason. Other players should be punished because your players don't want to play.

What ArenaNet needs are better incentives to WvW for people who aren't enamored with it.

Higher payouts for taking and hold locations would help. I also believe that armor shouldn't take damage in WvW. It becomes a pretty big sink if you're on the losing team and you keep dying.

etiolate

Banned

Deal with it isn't the official stance and if it was, you can start planning the funeral for wuvwuv now.

The problem is Night populations shouldn't be the deciding factor, but they are. If this becomes standard, it creates more problems.

Issues:
-Bad matchmaking based on an ELO system and not weighted heavily enough by activity
-Taking empty keeps worth the same as taking defended keeps
-Outmanned buff is useless
-No region for Asia/Oceanic to play on so they play NA

Be like HoD is the worst answer you could supply. There has been a general dropoff in activity from SBI in WvWvW and it doesn't have to do with lack of incentives. It's just frustrating and futile to watch your work washed away because another server did PVDoor. You won't ever overcome that mental hurdle as long as night capping is the most important part of WvWvW.

The incentive is always fun. Fun in WvWvW is tied to competitive ability. The idea of throwing more rewards at the futile side is the same bad idea that created the useless outmanned buff.

f0rk

I thought the problem was servers with populations across multiple timezones having a huge advantage as they effectively have a much smaller off peak time. Letting Canadians on French servers is a bit part of the problem imo

They could quadruple karma and triple silver payouts and it probably still wouldn't be enough. I think they should scale rewards up to how long they've been held/how upgraded they are.

"Deal with it isn't the official stance and if it was, you can start planning the funeral for wuvwuv now."

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Night-Capping-and-YOU

"The problem is Night populations shouldn't be the deciding factor, but they are. If this becomes standard, it creates more problems. "

Why wouldn't they be the deciding factor? The whole concept of the mode is a 24/7, never ending battlefield. Populations at all hours are important.

"I thought the problem was servers with populations across multiple timezones having a huge advantage as they effectively have a much smaller off peak time. Letting Canadians on French servers is a bit part of the problem imo"

It's not as though these servers don't have people playing, SBI, JQ, are all full/high even on "off-peak" hours. Their players simply aren't queueing up for WvW, you shouldn't penalize other players who are queueing up because other server populations aren't.

jersoc

More importantly, if you're not in GAF guild, why not? We have room and people are friendly.

Secondly, if you're not in GAF guild, why aren't you in a larger guild so you can facilitate this?

Thirdly, if you're playing the game ENTIRELY SOLO, why are you playing this game?

but he's right. this game really needs a better way to find groups regardless if you're in a guild or not.

spamming chat channels is out dated. this is 2012, surely we can have a better system in place. this isn't exactly hard to do. i think can easily think of 2 ways and i'm not getting paid to make this game.

ZenVolta

Looks like someone was trying to steal my account.
A log-in attempt from the following location is currently awaiting your authorization.

Address:
City: Kunming
Region: 29

Not really sure why though. I dont have much money or anything SUPER rare. Im not even 80 yet.

etiolate

Banned
"Deal with it isn't the official stance and if it was, you can start planning the funeral for wuvwuv now."

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Night-Capping-and-YOU

"The problem is Night populations shouldn't be the deciding factor, but they are. If this becomes standard, it creates more problems. "

Why wouldn't they be the deciding factor? The whole concept of the mode is a 24/7, never ending battlefield. Populations at all hours are important.

"I thought the problem was servers with populations across multiple timezones having a huge advantage as they effectively have a much smaller off peak time. Letting Canadians on French servers is a bit part of the problem imo"

It's not as though these servers don't have people playing, SBI, JQ, are all full/high even on "off-peak" hours. Their players simply aren't queueing up for WvW, you shouldn't penalize other players who are queueing up because other server populations aren't.

Deal with it isn't an official stance. They know thats market suicide. One german rep pretty much said deal with it and they backpedaled in subsequent posts. And like I said, it'll kill WvWvW if not dealt with.

And why should North American Servers be punished for being North American? HoD should nto be the standard. Let's be honest, HoD players don't watch things improved because it might screw up their dominance. Their putting empty wins over the quality of the game mode.

If the mode isn't meant to be balanced, this they should remove the scoreboard.

"And why should North American Servers be punished for being North American? HoD should nto be the standard. Let's be hoest, HoD players don't watch things improved because it might screw up their dominance. Their valualing empty wins over the quality of the game mode."

North American servers aren't punished for being North American. Again, there ARE people, logged in and playing on your server at *all* times of the day. MORE than enough to fill up the piddly 166 server cap per map. They just aren't logging into WvW. This is something ArenaNet should fix, but the problem isn't "night capping" the problem is that there isn't a good enough hook for players on your server to join WvW. Pretty hollow accusation as well, one could easily say other servers want things changed because they're tired of losing.

I actually think the scoreboard should be removed and simply keep the metrics hidden for matchmaking purposes.

falastini

I don't know why in every discussion about LFG tools in MMOs, it devolves into "we don't want WoWs antisocial system". You can have LFG tools without having that automated mess WoW has. Just some global search system would go a long way. You would still have to communicate with people and form the groups. I'm not sure why anybody would be against that.

Also... no excuses for not having an authenticator at launch. Modern MMOs should have a physical one in box sales by default.

jersoc

people bitching about this pisses me off. someone's night is another day. as someone who works 2nd shift it just annoys me people are basically telling me i can't play wvw unless on the weekends. i wish all these people would fuck off already. i played wvw the other day and we were pushing hod back so bad.

anet just needs to come out and tell those people whiny they are fucking stupid already.

what they really need to do is maybe implement a better comeback method. that's real core of the issue. the npcs are a great start but not taken far enough.

Noaloha

The gameplay design - real-time, positional, somewhat random enmity thresholds - of GW2 might be a restricting factor on text-chat; I know it was a lot easier to talk a whole mess of friendly, getting-to-know-you, off-the-cuff shit - whilst still maintaining the level of your play - in, for example, FFXI than it is in GW2. This might be due to the slower, less 'twitchy' nature of FFXI compared to GW2, or it might be because it was just the norm in a FFXI grouping to discuss stuff like ability rotations and party roles in advance, where in GW2 everyone is sort of playing everything by ear and looking out for all circumstances (because everyone, by and large, has similar tools to you). I'd hope that, at least, dungeons would inspire that nice-to-meet-you, what's-the-battle-plan interaction between attendees but I've yet to try dungeons in GW2 out yet, due in large part to hearing very little overall positive feedback about the activity from people whose posts don't have a blatant GW2 boner sprouting out of every paragraph.

etiolate

Banned
"And why should North American Servers be punished for being North American? HoD should nto be the standard. Let's be hoest, HoD players don't watch things improved because it might screw up their dominance. Their valualing empty wins over the quality of the game mode."

North American servers aren't punished for being North American. Again, there ARE people, logged in and playing on your server at *all* times of the day. MORE than enough to fill up the piddly 166 server cap per map. They just aren't logging into WvW. This is something ArenaNet should fix, but the problem isn't "night capping" the problem is that there isn't a good enough hook for players on your server to join WvW.

You can't simply make non-PVPers play WvWvW to try to balance a broken system. Your comparing a split, multi-focused general populace to the WvWvW focused audience. It's a silly cimparison. Even still, night populations (when I play) is not the same amount as day population.

Game has some serious archaic social functionality. It makes playing with friends and guildies a pain. Trying to keep a multi guild alliance organized when we can't have raid groups was such a clusterfuck in wvwvw

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
where is that at ? the next "natural" area the game leads me to via story is "Kessex Hills" but that is 15-25 just like Brisban :(
Just remember that there's absolutely nothing wrong with being in a "lower than intended" (or "higher than intended" for that matter) zone in this game. You will still get plenty of worthwhile xp, money and loot.

My most recent play sessions have involved farming Bloodtide Coast (a 40-50 zone) at level 80. Tons of events and crazy good loot drop rates. Can't get enough of it :D

Feep

Banned
Wait, seriously, y'all have room in the GAF Guild? I was kicked into Overflow, and as a result, I've been hanging out with another (less cool) guild as I level my THF.

"You can't simply make non-PVPers play WvWvW to try to balance a broken system. Your comparing a split, multi-focused general populace to the WvWvW focused audience. It's a silly cimparison. Even still, night populations (when I play) is not the same amount as day population."

The system isn't broken, though. Again, it's not the fault of the server who is queuing up for WvW that the other servers stop doing so at whatever time of the day. Those non-PvPers would still be useful if they had a reason to go in WvW, even if it's not their thing.

The irrefutable point is that players should not be punished simply because they play at a different time than others. Their time and effort should not be worth any less than anyone else's.

Ashodin

Hawkian The Blade is your man for getting into the main guild from Overflow. We're trying often to move more active players into it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Indeed your best bet for getting rapidly moved over is to PM me ingame. Ingame mail works if you can't catch me online.

I'll periodically pop over and tell everyone who's online to PM me for the migration as well. Sorry I haven't seen you on, Feep!

The irrefutable point is that players should not be punished simply because they play at a different time than others. Their time and effort should not be worth any less than anyone else's.

This is why I think a scaling stat buff for players who are outmanned in their zone would work best. If the difference is bad enough, you could add the Unshakable buff that can still scale by population differences.

This means that lower population servers have a good fighting chance if they go toe to toe with a larger force (to a point), while the larger population server retains the advantage of numbers. They can divide their forces more readily. It means less steamrolling and more of the good, hard fights that everyone wants.

Ashodin

"You can't simply make non-PVPers play WvWvW to try to balance a broken system. Your comparing a split, multi-focused general populace to the WvWvW focused audience. It's a silly cimparison. Even still, night populations (when I play) is not the same amount as day population."

The system isn't broken, though. Again, it's not the fault of the server who is queuing up for WvW that the other servers stop doing so at whatever time of the day. Those non-PvPers would still be useful if they had a reason to go in WvW, even if it's not their thing.

I'm going to have to agree with you on the incentives for losing players - there just isn't enough there to make people want to try to fight back against Henge, and the result is henge just takes what they want when they want it. It sucks, and it's one of the reasons I barely set foot in WvW. I love the idea, I love playing it, but I don't particularly enjoy getting stomped wherever I go. I'd like some modicum of outnumbered to help out the losing side - things in WvW should be even at all times, really, for engaging play. I'd say outnumbered should be buffed ridiculously high. There's no real reason for it to be so incredibly lame as it is. Basically, if one server wanted to push back and they're outnumbered, they should be absolutely destroying players they come across with the buff. One-man armies if you will. It would make the other team gang up on the people and distract whole groups from defense and otherwise, until the problem evened itself out.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Another housekeeping note:

Unless you have a specific reason to stay or don't think you'll be active enough in the main guild, please leave the GAFO guild after moving over. It'll be helpful for keeping track of numbers.

docbon

Word. Adding some hooks to get people interested in WvWvW is infinitely more appealing than (terribad) ideas like dynamic population caps or deporting players to european servers.

etiolate

Banned

But players are being punished for playing at a different time. If you don't play at the time of the night zerg then you lose the game and all your work during your time of play doesn't matter because the rate of change during primetime is much slower than the rate of change during off-peak.

You are punishing people for having to sleep or work. The top tier matchups are much more competitive during the weekend than during the weekday. Is that because more people are playing around the clock? Yes. Is the reason they are playing because they don't have to work? YES. Are you now punishing people for playing when they have the free time to play? YES.

I'd say outnumbered should be buffed ridiculously high. There's no real reason for it to be so incredibly lame as it is. Basically, if one server wanted to push back and they're outnumbered, they should be absolutely destroying players they come across with the buff. One-man armies if you will. It would make the other team gang up on the people and distract whole groups from defense and otherwise, until the problem evened itself out.
Have it scale to the imbalance of player count. The highest population in the zone is the baseline. The players from the two other servers get buffed accordingly.

eg. Server 1 has 500 players in the zone
Server 2 has 250
Server 3 has 100.

Server 1 becomes the baseline for the stat buff.
Server 2 gets a buff, each player's BASELINE level 80 stats are doubled.
Server 3 is way in the back, so each player has FIVE TIMES the baseline level 80 stats.

Ashodin

Have it scale to the imbalance of player count. The highest population in the zone is the baseline. The players from the two other servers get buffed accordingly.

eg. Server 1 has 500 players in the zone
Server 2 has 250
Server 3 has 100.

Server 1 becomes the baseline for the stat buff.
Server 2 gets a buff, each player's BASELINE level 80 stats are doubled.
Server 3 is way in the back, so each player has FIVE TIMES the baseline level 80 stats.

I like this idea. It means the underdog has a high chance of stealing either two's stuff. Very good idea.

"But players are being punished for playing at a different time. If you don't play at the time of the night zerg then you lose the game and all your work during your time of play doesn't matter because the rate of change during primetime is much slower than the rate of change during off-peak.

You are punishing people for having to sleep or work. The top tier matchups are much more competitive during the weekend than during the weekday. Is that because more people are playing around the clock? Yes. Is the reason they are playing because they don't have to work? YES. Are you now punishing people for playing when they have the free time to play? YES."

No, you're not being punished playing at a different time. Your server is "punished" because people aren't playing. It's expected that players cannot play 24/7 for the reasons you mentioned, thus why the various alliances actively recruited international guilds.

You're still playing, helping score points and secure positions for your server. That the other players on your server don't care enough to keep that going around the clock is the fault of your own server as cold as that is to say.

"And besides, night capping is the least of WvW's problems. It means recruiting people from different time zones/schedules. It means coordinating guilds so that they have both people from other countries and the guys who work the night shift working together. Basically, it's standard open world MMO politics. It's fixable, unlike some of the other issues with the game that rely on patches and new content."

It is precisely that, standard open world MMO politics. And yes, it's something SBI/JQ could totally fix on their own.

Ken

From reddit:

I knew that this whole system of rewarding groups after completing the final boss in dungeons is totally flawed. Now i know why again. Premade groups of 3-4 people are starting to kick random invites straight before the final boss kills, to prevent them to receive the token loot just for the fun of it or because they think that these people don't deserve these tokens. Wasting hours of hours and effort in dungeons to get kicked by dumbasses.

:\

Noaloha

Build/repair costs (ie. Supply requirements) scaled to current WvWvW server attendance might work.

EDIT: sorry, forgot to mention -- the idea of server attendance impacting on an individual's stats just fucks up those 1 vs 1 PvP encounters. The *points* system of WvWvW has Supply at its core.

Large open world pvp is never balanced. They are doing the best they can really but they could do with some more incentives and buffs to help certain elements out. But there is no real cure to any of it. The nature of large open pvp in a 24/7 multi time zone environment makes for almost impossible feat to balance.

etiolate

Banned
"But players are being punished for playing at a different time. If you don't play at the time of the night zerg then you lose the game and all your work during your time of play doesn't matter because the rate of change during primetime is much slower than the rate of change during off-peak.

You are punishing people for having to sleep or work. The top tier matchups are much more competitive during the weekend than during the weekday. Is that because more people are playing around the clock? Yes. Is the reason they are playing because they don't have to work? YES. Are you now punishing people for playing when they have the free time to play? YES."

No, you're not being punished playing at a different time. Your server is "punished" because people aren't playing. It's expected that players cannot play 24/7 for the reasons you mentioned, thus why the various alliances actively recruited international guilds.

You're still playing, helping scoring points and secure positions for your server. That the other players on your server don't care enough to keep that going around the clock is the fault of your own server, as cold as that is to say.

This is just nonsense tre. You can't have it both ways. You can't argue that people shouldn't be punished for when they play and they try to dismiss other examples of this as "well its the rest of your server's fault."

Here is the problem:

Taking a keep that is will defended is worth the same amount of points as taking a keep that is not defended. Taking a defended keep during primetime takes more time, and takes more resources. It is easier and faster to take an empty keep, so "night zerging" is the most effective tactic towards points. While doing this, the night zerging team has to burn less resources.

So accomplishing things with more effort, resources and commitment is ultimately worth less than accomplishing things versus minimal resistance. Accomplishing harder tasks is weighted less than accomplishing easy tasks. That is a broken setup.

Nobody is arguing against that. (I hope.)

The game has a scoreboard and that makes points important. This makes night zerging most important. Unfortunately, night zerging is not fun for either side. When SBI rolls through an empty borderlands, it's pretty much a snoozefest. When the Aussies roll through an empty Borderlands for HoD, it's pretty much a reason to quit WvWvW and go to the rest of the game.

Ultimately, and this is in accordance to ANet's own bravado, people should be doing and playing what they want to play and not playing or doing something out of obligation. People should be playing when they have free time to play and not be punished for that, instead of quitting work or school to keep their WvWvW match competitive.

But if you go down the road of everyone must have 24/7 Coverage or face a non-competitive and slanted battlefield, then you start to go down the path of playing out of obligation instead of playing for fun or due to your own choice.

This issue is created by people playing outside of their region. That issue is created by ANet not having region restrictions, but also not even having an Asian region or full Asian market launch. When Peters talks about doing things that they don't have the resources for, I imagine that includes the lack of a natural Asian/Oceanic region to better match up people playing at similar hours.

When that region is eventually made then population coverage could scuttle around again.

So your solution or HoD's solution isn't future proof, but even then, it does create a standard that works against having regions at all. You could then have Asian servers recruiting American guilds to night cap for them and create non-competitive matchups in their region and easy wins. You will still have servers like HoD trying to retain 24/7 coverage and stealing from other regional servers just to win.

It's ultimate solution leads to long 24/7 queues for players in top servers trying to WvWvW. All these weeks of complaining about constant queues and now they're the solution? Come on.

The goal should be to create matchups more like the top tier matchup during the weekend or more like what a SBI/JQ/ET matchup might be like. Those sort of fights retain interest in WvWvW. Night capping deters interest in the game, so you shouldn't eb ancouraging night capping as much as the current system does. You also can't assure everyone will have 24/7 coverage and making that the standard creates more problems.

So the solution does involve removing points or better protecting people against night zerg. It does involve rewarding the best parts of WvWvW with more points instead of the last enjoyable parts of WvWvW creating the biggest point difference. It also involves smarter match making.

If that punishes people who play off-peak in some way then so be it. I play off-peak. I want more interesting fights when I'm losing or when I'm steamrolling. But since I play off-peak, I don't expect to fight a huge army. It's ridiculous to expect that. Playing against nobody is a punishment as well, one created by lack of a Oceanic v Oceanic matchup. It's ridiculous to decide a fight by taking empty keeps. It's ridiculous that 4 hours of a day when less are fighting matter more than the rest of the day when the most are fighting.

Isn't the full/high thing more of an indication of "reserved spots" and not the actual online population at that second?

It seems massively more likely to me that there are simply fewer active players online during NA night hours, than that the population stays near-constant 24/7 and the nighttime players just happen to hate WvW in a massively higher proportion than the daytime players.

Ploid 3.0

From reddit:

:\

I will only do dungeons with friends now for sure... Dang. Yesterday I did my first explore mode or whatever it's called. Being kicked at the end of that would have been so messed up, good thing it was with friends and they felt they needed me anyway.

I will only do dungeons with friends now for sure... Dang. Yesterday I did my first explore mode or whatever it's called. Being kicked at the end of that would have been so messed up, good thing it was with friends and they felt they needed me anyway.

I do this exact thing in Runescape dungeons. :lol

""This is just nonsense tre. You can't have it both ways. You can't argue that people shouldn't be punished for when they play and they try to dismiss other examples of this as "well its the rest of your server's fault." "

The assertion that you're punished for playing during "primetime" is flawed, though. With that argument, any time my server loses a significant amount of points while I left my house, I'm being punished for having a life outside of the game. In a format that's about massive persistent pvp, at some you have to draw the line for where the responsibility for your success/failure lies. Organization is, and always will be the key, that's the nature of the beast. I've played open world pvp MMOs before, I've been on a *much* shittier end of the stick than JQ and SBI are right now. I still wouldn't change the way it is.

HoD isn't facing resistance at night because the other servers aren't playing and that's not HoD's fault. You say servers shouldn't be trying to do what HoD has done, and I disagree. Having a constant, 24/7 raging battle is the ideal. Why wouldn't it be? Being able to log in at any time of the day and hop in a massive battle? I'm not going to say that isn't how it should be and I'd imagine ANet wants that as well. So I'll say that yes, every server should be recruiting/headhunting international guilds.

"Isn't the full/high thing more of an indication of "reserved spots" and not the actual online population at that second?"

I'm not sure, because that full/high thing fluctuates depending on the time of day.

Also, shoutouts to the GAF thief I just dueled at Stargrove, good fight.

I like this idea. It means the underdog has a high chance of stealing either two's stuff. Very good idea.

Essentially, underdog players become veterans and severely outmanned players turn into bosses fighting against teams of enemies. I'd have fun playing either side of that. This could turn into extreme cases where a server has only maybe 5 people in a zone against an army of 400. Each individual would be like a raid boss, causing havoc wherever they walked with base stats of over 73,000.

Ken

2 hours for 21 tokens on a dungeon I had not done in like 2 days. First time I got 15. Second time I got 6.

Fix this please and thanks. I don't feel like ever running a dungeon again until this gets fixed.

Piecake

2 hours for 21 tokens on a dungeon I had not done in like 2 days. First time I got 15. Second time I got 6.

Fix this please and thanks. I don't feel like ever running a dungeon again until this gets fixed.

They think they will have it fixed with monday's patch

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So technically, in canon, you wiped out Flame Legion and Nightmare Court, minimized ghosts, damaged InQuest, and managed to dent Sons of Svanir.

Am I missing something?

leng jai

Apologies to the TA group I was in last night. Game just froze at one of the waypoint loading screens. Tried to log back in and couldn't either.

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom