• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
""This is just nonsense tre. You can't have it both ways. You can't argue that people shouldn't be punished for when they play and they try to dismiss other examples of this as "well its the rest of your server's fault." "

The assertion that you're punished for playing during "primetime" is flawed, though. With that argument, any time my server loses a significant amount of points while I left my house, I'm being punished for having a life outside of the game. In a format that's about massive persistent pvp, at some you have to draw the line for where the responsibility for your success/failure lies. Organization is, and always will be the key, that's the nature of the beast. I've played open world pvp MMOs before, I've been on a *much* shittier end of the stick than JQ and SBI are right now. I still wouldn't change the way it is.

HoD isn't facing resistance at night because the other servers aren't playing and that's not HoD's fault. You say servers shouldn't be trying to do what HoD has done, and I disagree. Having a constant, 24/7 raging battle is the ideal. Why wouldn't it be? Being able to log in at any time of the day and hop in a massive battle? I'm not going to say that isn't how it should be and I'd imagine ANet wants that as well. So I'll say that yes, every server should be recruiting/headhunting international guilds.

"Isn't the full/high thing more of an indication of "reserved spots" and not the actual online population at that second?"

I'm not sure, because that full/high thing fluctuates depending on the time of day.

Also, shoutouts to the GAF thief I just dueled at Stargrove, good fight.

Tell the truth, you and JQ are in cahoots!

Also as an 'off peak' player, the bigger problem is always organisation. Even with smaller amounts of people you can do stuff, but if you arent, then its just numbers v numbers.

Also, I haaaaaaaaaaaaaate people with 'commander' icons, cause they usually dont use tactics at all, its just the 'zerg focus' >.<

So its so hard to get people to listen to actual tactics and stuff when they just look for the blue icon on the map...

Also morans who dont know how to 'run around' lots of enemies and just instead zerg into them, so annoying.

Violet_0

Banned

2 hours for 21 tokens on a dungeon I had not done in like 2 days. First time I got 15. Second time I got 6.

Fix this please and thanks. I don't feel like ever running a dungeon again until this gets fixed.

so it really was just 6 tokens :-/ ridicules (and only 2s 60c, what)

I did 3 TA and 1 AC runs today and got my 60 tokens each time. However, my rewards for the last two CoE runs were "only" 30 tokens. All things considered, I guess I'm still rather lucky.

Has anyone here done Honor of the Waves explorable? I'll have to run the dungeon at least three times and want to figure out the least painful path before I start.

"Tell the truth, you and JQ are in cahoots!"

We just rolled into JQ's Bay keep on SBI borderlands with 12 Siege Golems. We are allying them to *death*.

(they wiped us)

leng jai

Well it took me like 2 hours to get a TA group going and my game crashed halfway through and wouldn't let me log back in. Still jelly?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Thirdly, if you're playing the game ENTIRELY SOLO, why are you playing this game?

I play the game solo, That's mostly because I have no idea what the fuck i'm even doing or what half the stuff is.

If there's a group event I will try and join in and point out if there's one near me in /map chat.

Aside from that I still haven't stepped foot in a dungeon (I have no idea what they are compared to WoW - My only MMO to date) and i'm level 63. I've spotted a few gaffers as i'm leveling and it's mostly just a /wave and we carry on doing our own thing.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
evlcookie said:
I play the game solo, That's mostly because I have no idea what the fuck i'm even doing or what half the stuff is.

If there's a group event I will try and join in and point out if there's one near me in /map chat.

Aside from that I still haven't stepped foot in a dungeon (I have no idea what they are compared to WoW - My only MMO to date) and i'm level 63. I've spotted a few gaffers as i'm leveling and it's mostly just a /wave and we carry on doing our own thing.
Not to speak for him, but I think his point was that when you do dungeons or other organized events, you'll be happy to connect with some of those GAFfers you've been waving at.

Do try just partying up and adventuring with people you see, it's quite fun.

vaelic

Banned
This is just nonsense tre. You can't have it both ways. You can't argue that people shouldn't be punished for when they play and they try to dismiss other examples of this as "well its the rest of your server's fault."

Here is the problem:

Taking a keep that is will defended is worth the same amount of points as taking a keep that is not defended. Taking a defended keep during primetime takes more time, and takes more resources. It is easier and faster to take an empty keep, so "night zerging" is the most effective tactic towards points. While doing this, the night zerging team has to burn less resources.

So accomplishing things with more effort, resources and commitment is ultimately worth less than accomplishing things versus minimal resistance. Accomplishing harder tasks is weighted less than accomplishing easy tasks. That is a broken setup.

Nobody is arguing against that. (I hope.)

The game has a scoreboard and that makes points important. This makes night zerging most important. Unfortunately, night zerging is not fun for either side. When SBI rolls through an empty borderlands, it's pretty much a snoozefest. When the Aussies roll through an empty Borderlands for HoD, it's pretty much a reason to quit WvWvW and go to the rest of the game.

Ultimately, and this is in accordance to ANet's own bravado, people should be doing and playing what they want to play and not playing or doing something out of obligation. People should be playing when they have free time to play and not be punished for that, instead of quitting work or school to keep their WvWvW match competitive.

But if you go down the road of everyone must have 24/7 Coverage or face a non-competitive and slanted battlefield, then you start to go down the path of playing out of obligation instead of playing for fun or due to your own choice.

This issue is created by people playing outside of their region. That issue is created by ANet not having region restrictions, but also not even having an Asian region or full Asian market launch. When Peters talks about doing things that they don't have the resources for, I imagine that includes the lack of a natural Asian/Oceanic region to better match up people playing at similar hours.

When that region is eventually made then population coverage could scuttle around again.

So your solution or HoD's solution isn't future proof, but even then, it does create a standard that works against having regions at all. You could then have Asian servers recruiting American guilds to night cap for them and create non-competitive matchups in their region and easy wins. You will still have servers like HoD trying to retain 24/7 coverage and stealing from other regional servers just to win.

It's ultimate solution leads to long 24/7 queues for players in top servers trying to WvWvW. All these weeks of complaining about constant queues and now they're the solution? Come on.

The goal should be to create matchups more like the top tier matchup during the weekend or more like what a SBI/JQ/ET matchup might be like. Those sort of fights retain interest in WvWvW. Night capping deters interest in the game, so you shouldn't eb ancouraging night capping as much as the current system does. You also can't assure everyone will have 24/7 coverage and making that the standard creates more problems.

So the solution does involve removing points or better protecting people against night zerg. It does involve rewarding the best parts of WvWvW with more points instead of the last enjoyable parts of WvWvW creating the biggest point difference. It also involves smarter match making.

If that punishes people who play off-peak in some way then so be it. I play off-peak. I want more interesting fights when I'm losing or when I'm steamrolling. But since I play off-peak, I don't expect to fight a huge army. It's ridiculous to expect that. Playing against nobody is a punishment as well, one created by lack of a Oceanic v Oceanic matchup. It's ridiculous to decide a fight by taking empty keeps. It's ridiculous that 4 hours of a day when less are fighting matter more than the rest of the day when the most are fighting.
it was never fixed in daoc and I doubt it will be fixed in gw2

Balance and night capping aside. I just can't afford to be on the losing side in WvWvW. I die too quickly and it costs too much. I'd love to do it more often, but I saw my silver actually go down. Until I'm richer (only lvl 26 right now) I probably won't be doing much WvWvW ONLY because I can't really afford it.

slimer5

Neo Member
I've been watching videos and streams of this game for a while now, debating whether or not I should get this. I decided to just post here and ask fellow Gaffers what you think based on my brief history with WoW that I will detail in a moment. I don't know why it took me this long to ask you guys, but I value anyone's opinion.

So years and years ago (I think 6 or 7 years), I was addicted to WoW. I was in high school and spent most of my down time playing it. I had a few friends from school that got me into it, but I mostly played with people that I establish friendships with through the game. Eventually, though, I got so fed up with it. Not only because it was getting tough to afford it every month, but because the people that played it took it way too seriously, which constantly prevented me from being able to play the end-game content. My guild was not strong enough to tackle anything too difficult (I can't remember the names of any of the end-game instances), so I had to enter PUG (pick-up-group) runs in order to ever get a chance to play the stuff. PUG groups, however, took hours to form and then once you actually start playing, people leave and delay it even longer. And don't even get me started on how unfair the looting was for PUG runs. And whenever I tried getting into a guild that could actually do end-game runs, they would tell me that they have enough rogues (I had a lvl 60 rogue) or they just plain wouldn't let me in. I was so pissed off, so I stopped playing entirely. This was just before the first expansion came out for it, too.

Now that GW2 is out, I feel like I want to give this MMO a try. I love not having to pay every month and that there seems to be a very large audience that is backing it (which can't be said for many other "WoW killers"). So, I wanted to ask you guys whether you think I should go ahead and buy this? I loved WoW when I could actually play the content. I loved the feeling of getting rare loot or set pieces. I liked grouping up for certain quests. I liked doing the occasional PVP (battlegrounds I think they were called in WoW).

To help you with your suggestions, here are some questions that I was wondering about:
1.) How is the learning curve? Not just about how to play the classes, but learning about which quests to do, which armor is best, which stats are good, which skills are best, etc.
2.) How is the loot managed? If I'm in a group, and something drops that is really good for my class, but there is another person in my group that is the same class, how do we determine who gets it? Or is the loot system completely different than that? (for instance, is it all individual loot like Diablo 3?)
3.) I'm assuming that I would play mostly by myself at first considering I don't know anyone personally that plays it. Is this game fine to play alone? Or maybe there would be some of the Gaf guild members that would be willing to quest with me and whatnot.

I know I could probably find the answers to these questions elsewhere, but I'm not really asking them/making this post to find the answer, but rather to show you what's important to me and what I want to be different from the way WoW managed it.

Thanks to anyone for any suggestions.

here are some questions that I was wondering about:
1.) How is the learning curve? Not just about how to play the classes, but learning about which quests to do, which armor is best, which stats are good, which skills are best, etc.
2.) How is the loot managed? If I'm in a group, and something drops that is really good for my class, but there is another person in my group that is the same class, how do we determine who gets it? Or is the loot system completely different than that? (for instance, is it all individual loot like Diablo 3?)
3.) I'm assuming that I would play mostly by myself at first considering I don't know anyone personally that plays it. Is this game fine to play alone? Or maybe there would be some of the Gaf guild members that would be willing to quest with me and whatnot.

1) Easy. Everything's pretty straightforward. The rest is quickly answered by using the built-in Wiki command. "/wiki Condition Damage", for example. "Best" skills, also comes down to personal preference and playstyle most times. You'll also be swapping things out a lot, depending on what you're doing. When I dungeon run, I want to run Elixir gun with tons of Condition Damage. When I solo, it's Rifle with lots of Precision.
2) Loot is personal. (Just like Diablo III) If a corpse is sparkly, you loot it, you get loot. Like the harvesting nodes, it's entirely only in your world. There is no loot or harvest stealing. When you down a big boss and a loot chest appears, everyone loots from it, there is no loot rolling. If you find stuff you can't use, you're going to have to talk to your group, or just salvage/sell/mystic forge/auction it. You can control+click to link items in chat.
3) I solo'ed up to the final Personal Mission, 250 hours in for me, which forces you into a 5-man dungeon. But like most things, it's more fun with friends. You also ambienty do things with people in the world, just because of the way Events happen. If you're near one, and do stuff likle kill things required of you, you're contributing, and so is everyone else doing it nearby.

Sidenote: C'mon login servers. This isn't funny. I want to play.

QP3

I've been watching videos and streams of this game for a while now, debating whether or not I should get this. I decided to just post here and ask fellow Gaffers what you think based on my brief history with WoW that I will detail in a moment. I don't know why it took me this long to ask you guys, but I value anyone's opinion.

So years and years ago (I think 6 or 7 years), I was addicted to WoW. I was in high school and spent most of my down time playing it. I had a few friends from school that got me into it, but I mostly played with people that I establish friendships with through the game. Eventually, though, I got so fed up with it. Not only because it was getting tough to afford it every month, but because the people that played it took it way too seriously, which constantly prevented me from being able to play the end-game content. My guild was not strong enough to tackle anything too difficult (I can't remember the names of any of the end-game instances), so I had to enter PUG (pick-up-group) runs in order to ever get a chance to play the stuff. PUG groups, however, took hours to form and then once you actually start playing, people leave and delay it even longer. And don't even get me started on how unfair the looting was for PUG runs. And whenever I tried getting into a guild that could actually do end-game runs, they would tell me that they have enough rogues (I had a lvl 60 rogue) or they just plain wouldn't let me in. I was so pissed off, so I stopped playing entirely. This was just before the first expansion came out for it, too.

Now that GW2 is out, I feel like I want to give this MMO a try. I love not having to pay every month and that there seems to be a very large audience that is backing it (which can't be said for many other "WoW killers"). So, I wanted to ask you guys whether you think I should go ahead and buy this? I loved WoW when I could actually play the content. I loved the feeling of getting rare loot or set pieces. I liked grouping up for certain quests. I liked doing the occasional PVP (battlegrounds I think they were called in WoW).

To help you with your suggestions, here are some questions that I was wondering about:

I know I could probably find the answers to these questions elsewhere, but I'm not really asking them/making this post to find the answer, but rather to show you what's important to me and what I want to be different from the way WoW managed it.

Thanks to anyone for any suggestions.

While I can't answer all of these, I too don't know any IRL friends playing. I have been soloing and am having a lot of fun. I do plan to join a guild and do group dungeons when I get there, but I'm only level 18.

Plus, the world group events that happen are a lot of fun and give you the "team" feeling of challenge and success.

As someone who has never really gotten into mmo's, I am having a lot of fun with GW2 and highly recommend it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Heya slimer!

I find it to be rocky at start- the game doesn't explain everything to the player as well as it could. After about level 15, though, I thought it was quite smooth all that way to 80 and beyond, and the guild is very helpful for all the info you listed.

All individual. No rolls, no stealing.
Personally, as long as I'm not literally in the middle of something else, I'm always willing to do ANYTHING to chill with guildies. I don't know how much you know about the scaling in this game, but even 1-15 areas will get you decent rewards at level 80, so I hope that you'll more or less always be able to find someone to play with you. Though yes, the vast majority of the game is find to play alone.

scosher

We may not be playing in a vacuum, but it would be foolish to not attempt to take advantage of other similar people trying to play with you and do content. Of your 40 people, do you group with them often?

I understand the concept of having a better LFG tool for the masses, but I was mainly talking about you specifically.

I don't even know what you're getting at dude. The guildmates I'm playing with are people I've played games with for 7+ years, some being RL friends from college. Of course I've grouped with them for dungeons. Doesn't change the fact that we don't always have a 5-man team and often have to pick up randoms to fill random spots. I also enjoy PUG'ing regardless.

Grouping and doing things together in this game is quite rewarding since everything is instanced per player. Now I can understand exploration by yourself (I do it quite often myself); it's your wish to take the game at your own pace. I'm more referring to opting out of the multiplayer based content (dungeons, etc) and then wondering where the people are because you forgot that you had other people around you. (you is general, here, not specifically)

Actually, after reading this, you seem to be completely missing the point of the discussion. Our complaint is that the current LFG tools are so limited that it's difficult to form full groups or fill a vacancy when someone disconnects or drops out mid-run. The game is only a month old so this isn't really as pronounced yet, but trust me--If ArenaNet doesn't improve their dungeon finder, it's going to become more and more difficult to fill groups as the game continues to age, especially for the unpopular ones or ones that are out of the way like Sorrow's Embrace. How exactly you equated that to me preferring to "opt out of multiplayer based content" is beyond me.

Retro

Tonight's Jumping Puzzle:
jumpdxduu.jpg

Kimaka

I tried switching to my town clothes but kept getting hit causing me to go back to my armor. The picture was taken right before I switched clothes. >.< Lol, oh well.

Q1ller

Banned
Does anyone know if there is a way to hide the gray text (which describes the damage of each attack) on the left side of the screen? Thanks

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Does anyone know if there is a way to hide the gray text (which describes the damage of each attack) on the left side of the screen? Thanks
That's the "combat" chat channel. Each tab of your chat can be customized to include whatever you want or don't want to see. Click the little arrow to the left of the tab name.

eznark

Banned
^ I was able to watch the game AND do the puzzles, probably contributed to my incompetence.

That was so rad, especially the last puzzle. The rest were a massive pain in the ass because of the camera. The last was a pin in the ass because I am terrible at jumping puzzles!

Instro

So have any spots opened up in the regular guild, cause the Overflow one is basically dead. The few people I do see online are repping a different guild anyway.

markot

Banned
So have any spots opened up in the regular guild, cause the Overflow one is basically dead. The few people I do see online are repping a different guild anyway.

Yes there are spots open.

whisper 'hawkien the jerk' or whatever his name is!

You really should not be taking armor damage in WvW, it's another unnecessary money sink in a game chock-fucking-full of money sinks.

Seems like a much-needed threat to me, otherwise death holds no meaning aside from running back from spawn. It sucks, sure - but I don't think it's unnecessary.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Seems like a much-needed threat to me, otherwise death holds no meaning aside from running back from spawn. It sucks, sure - but I don't think it's unnecessary.

The only threat needed from death should be the fact that you're more likely to either fail your attack or lose the structure you're currently defending. The run back should be punishment enough since the armor damage just deters people from even playing WvW.

"Seems like a much-needed threat to me, otherwise death holds no meaning aside from running back from spawn. It sucks, sure - but I don't think it's unnecessary."

While I'm all about death meaning something in pvp, I think repair fees is only minor enough to be annoying as shit and not major enough to actually provide some kind of threat to players to avoid death beyond the obvious reasons to avoid death. Most probably won't even think of it until something breaks.

The only threat needed from death should be the fact that you're more likely to either fail your attack or lose the structure you're currently defending. The run back should be punishment enough since the armor damage just deters people from even playing WvW.
Pretty much this. Whether you're taking a keep/camp or defending it, being absent from battle can make or break your team's struggle and that's what really matters in WvW. Not "oh, well, I hope I don't die so I can avoid paying the repair fee".

Lulubop

I run HotW yesterday a few times, first with some gafers and then with a pug.

The first run was smooth enough, though it was most of our first time doing the dungeon. We did have trouble on a particular boss, but in subsequent runs I found out that this was do to a bug. The Svanir should not have been respawning like that. In any case we pulled through, and I received have as much tokens as I should have for my troubles.

The next run I was in a pug lead by someone very experience in the dungeon, and we blazed through it fast, really fast. Infact it was faster than any pre-patch CoF run I've done, and apparently it was even faster before a patch. Not only was it faster but it was also easier, and due to it being a higher level dungeon I imagine the rewards better especially before the patch that nerfed the silver received from completing dungeons. My last run however I received a grand total of 2 tokens. I'll be waiting for the patch Monday before trying again.

Apologies to the Gafers I was partying with in WvWvW last night, I spilled some Milk on my Keyboard and it was causing some weird issues.

If I can get that combat mod to work I will play this game again.

I run HotW yesterday a few times, first with some gafers and then with a pug.

The first run was smooth enough, though it was most of our first time doing the dungeon. We did have trouble on a particular boss, but in subsequent runs I found out that this was do to a bug. The Svanir should not have been respawning like that. In any case we pulled through, and I received have as much tokens as I should have for my troubles.

The next run I was in a pug lead by someone very experience in the dungeon, and we blazed through it fast, really fast. Infact it was faster than any pre-patch CoF run I've done, and apparently it was even faster before a patch. Not only was it faster but it was also easier, and due to it being a higher level dungeon I imagine the rewards better especially before the patch that nerfed the silver received from completing dungeons. My last run however I received a grand total of 2 tokens. I'll be waiting for the patch Monday before trying again.

Apologies to the Gafers I was partying with in WvWvW last night, I spilled some Milk in my Keyboard and it was causing some weird issues.

Try playing with both hands. :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
We have identified an issue with the DR system that is causing the bug of rewards being incorrectly diminished. We&#8217;re actively working on the situation in anticipation for Monday&#8217;s scheduled patch.
Sweet music to my ears
edit: whoa?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/10oumk/dungeon_lfg_system_work_around/
Guys, since me and a lot of other peoples are having trouble finding a group for dungeons so i created guild that focus only in having a Global Chat to find Groups!!
You only need to represent the guild wile you are trying to find a group, them u can go back to your normal one!
By the way, this might take a wile to get a good amount of people to make a LFG faster spread the word so this can be minimized!!!
Hope you guys like the idea!
Ask for invites mailing to "Souto.2157" in game or whisper [only when i&#8217;m online]
P.S: U can be on any server for this since u can join dungeon with persons of other servers!!

P.S²: You can be in more than one Guild, u just need to represent wile looking for group!
what?!

nataku

Finally hit 400 tailoring on my Mesmer.

I picked up cooking way back at launch as well, but haven't gone anywhere with it. Is it worth it, or will a different craft suit a Mesmer/tailor better?

Finally hit 400 tailoring on my Mesmer.

I picked up cooking way back at launch as well, but haven't gone anywhere with it. Is it worth it, or will a different craft suit a Mesmer/tailor better?

If you like dyes, cooking can be useful. Some legendaries (like the Bifrost) require cooking to make as well. Otherwise, I would suggest artificing or jewelery as a profession. Both are quite useful to a mesmer.

Also, please post in my crafting union thread. We could use a good tailor.

Tried the new version, followed the readme numerous times and even changed the the key multiple times to see if it was just a problem with TAB and nothing.

According to google I am the only one on the planet with this issue.

Oh well.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Tried the new version, followed the readme numerous times and even changed the the key multiple times to see if it was just a problem with TAB and nothing.

According to google I am the only one on the planet with this issue.

Oh well.
Sounds like AHK is not able to pass any commands at all. Do you have User Account Control on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom