• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

th3dude

Had a great all GAFGuild group to do my first AC Explore run. Ran Ghost Eater and got 60 tears and like 40s. Thanks again to all that helped. Looking forward to more GAFGuild groups.

I'm Brock Doombringer, the Longbow weilding Warrior in case anyone from that group is here :p

Kingbrave

I apologize to all the Asurans I've made fun of and said were only fit for Charr food. I like my lil ele...he's so cute...I just want to hug him and cuddle him.

Then feed him to my Charr...

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Barely posted here since headstart.
Love this game, even with all the broken and missing stuff.

I'm disappointed though at the # of GAF playing compared to launch.
We get ~35 during the week, and about ~60 at weekend (primetime).
Which is really low since we had a near full guild (~500!) a few weeks ago.

Anyway, hope they patch in guildhalls soon. Should be awesome.

I think the issue is too that lots of new games which take time to play have come out. Borderlands 2, Torchlight 2. Next week? other titles and such.

Am guilty myself of being absent.

That and with how many high level folks we had in the guild would not be surprised if some people were taking a break from the game itself. Makes the whole experience all that nicer when being away for a while.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That's a bummer, looks like I'll pug it then.
I didn't mean you should have to do that! I'm always happy to run AC Story or really anything as long as I'm not in the middle of something else. Make sure you ask the guild to try to put a group together before you go looking for a PUG.

Ketch

The que was nonexistant last night for the eternal battleground, but it was a Sunday night.

I think I have some good ideas for organizing a guild WvW night. Should make it latter in the week, maybe Thursday? that way we hopefully avoid the long ques from the initial rush of a new week. Start it early early early, for like people who can get on to kind of decide the battleground and then feel out what's going on in the war. Then as people trickle in we group up and try to accomplish some major objective; whatever the early folks figured was important, or just attack a fort, or form a supply camp raiding party. Just something as like an official gaf objective, and then try to carry it on through out the weekend on a come and go basis.

Just kind of stretch it out to fit the slow moving atmosphere WvW. Just not sure if we'd get enough ppl to make it work well.

I just ordered a new computer online, I'll be online again a ton more when it arrives, just didn't want you guys to think im taking up space in guild.

I'll finally be able to compete in WvWvW without the computer grinding to a halt!

Morokh

I could really need some build / stats advice now that i'm 80 with my engineer

I played a tanky build for the last levels before 80 and it worked fine for soloing, but now in the last zones, for farming and group events it's a little bit so-so ...

I tried a more DPS oriented rifle build, and i can kill things faster but i'm so squishy that taking on more than one mob is just a pain.

Any ideas on a build that would be a balanced build between the two that would also be suitable for dungeons ?

I didn't mean you should have to do that! I'm always happy to run AC Story or really anything as long as I'm not in the middle of something else. Make sure you ask the guild to try to put a group together before you go looking for a PUG.

Gotcha, I will definitely be asking others for sure, I solo'd most of my 1-30 but now that I can group will try to do that as much as I can. Having trouble getting mumble working again on my new PC so that will have to be fixed for sure.

Seriously, does liking Charr make me a furry? I don't have to dress up or god forbid go outside, right?

Yes, but it's OK, I'll be in the support group with you. After I level my Guardian to 80 my 16 Charr Warrior is getting some attention.

I just ordered a new computer online, I'll be online again a ton more when it arrives, just didn't want you guys to think im taking up space in guild.

I'll finally be able to compete in WvWvW without the computer grinding to a halt!

iknowthatfeel.jpg

I struggled until I built my new PC last week and now EVERYTHING is awesome, no lag, no slowdown.

If you didn't, I highly recommend an SSD for your OS and GW2, makes it a dream to play assuming other specs on your machine are up to par.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yay, I got all wvw maps!!!

saaaaaaaaaaaaave for that Mendor's Gap in EB.

Seriously, does liking Charr make me a furry? I don't have to dress up or god forbid go outside, right?

Not at all.

Hell I am a furry I don't really think they're material, but I like their lore out of the rest.

Is there a bug dealing with sound? I'll be facing two NPC's (story quest) and I'll have to rotate my camera weird in order to make them audible. Most everything else seems to work fine except when NPC's are talking. It's like my surround sound thinks they are somewhere else or something.

Anybody heard of this?

Violet_0

Banned
nah , was me who forgot to write the class when I posted :)

coincidentally, I happen to have a level 80 Engineer (dual pistol though). In solo PvE, I use Rocket Turret, Flame Turret (can easily be replaced with Thumper or Net Turret or Elixir C for removing conditions) and Elixir S for my utility skills and Supply Crate as my elite. I only drop turrets against larger groups of enemies, they're actually quite durable and the Rocket Turret can even solo some mobs. Once I drop Supply Crate, I can usually handle most enemy groups.

In dungeon, I usually use Rocket Turret, Elixir C and Elixir S.

So I am level 18 in Kessex Hills and I find myself grossly underleveled (enemies are 22+). Is there any way for me to gain more levels without grinding centaur events (seriously how often does the Overlord spawn)? I've already completed about the northern half of the map.

Morokh

coincidentally, I happen to have a level 80 Engineer (dual pistol though). In solo PvE, I use Rocket Turret, Flame Turret (can easily be replaced with Thumper or Net Turret or Elixir C for removing conditions) and Elixir S for my utility skills and Supply Crate as my elite. I only drop turrets against larger groups of enemies, they're actually quite durable and the Rocket Turret can even solo some mobs. Once I drop Supply Crate, I can usually handle most enemy groups.

In dungeon, I usually use Rocket Turret, Elixir C and Elixir S.

do you mind posting your build ? kind of have a hard time figuring out traits in this game.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
My first experience with the dungeons just now was not good at all. I was in a PUG, but, damn... That was absolutely terrible. Everything seemed so random.

Left a bad taste in my mouth.

arimanius

So I am level 18 in Kessex Hills and I find myself grossly underleveled (enemies are 22+). Is there any way for me to gain more levels without grinding centaur events (seriously how often does the Overlord spawn)? I've already completed about the northern half of the map.

Head to another races newbie zone, Craft, or WvW.

Go roll through another starter area like Queensdale, Metricia, etc :)

01DragonFly

this is for rangers
does anyone have the same problem as me?, when pressing f2 (pet skill) it creates a ground target area >.< which is a pain if you are in a middle of a fight and want to use the pet skill.
This just started last night and I am wondering if is just me or they changed something.

Boss Doggie

Head to other zones for now.

Also good god those terrible human maps... prepare for a lot of centaurs

Violet_0

Banned

you're probably in the wrong part of the zone - go clockwise from heart to heart (Kessx Hill is 15-25, after all). Otherwise, you might want to do story quests to gain some xp, if you haven't already. The Centaur Overlord is part of the Kessex zerg, if you want to farm events.

and I like the Human zones, especially Harathi =)

ascully

Go and do a bit of crafting you will get a couple of levels right away.

Torraz

WvWvW, crafting, another zone etc.

Ashodin

My first experience with the dungeons just now was not good at all. I was in a PUG, but, damn... That was absolutely terrible. Everything seemed so random.

Left a bad taste in my mind.

No groups to play with at all of friends you know? Not in GAF Guild? I don't understand why you would subject yourself to torture like that.

PUGs in this game are going to be BRUTAL because the majority of people don't understand the mechanics of the game.

Boss Doggie

On a related note, is crafting level mandatory for mystic forge? My first character didn't build up on crafting at all unlike my other characters.

Left a bad taste in my mind.

They are better with folks who know what they are doing and can communicate (communication is really needed for alot of them so using vent/ts/mumble is helpful), but not a whole lot better. The dungeons in this are pretty subpar

"On a related note, is crafting level mandatory for mystic forge? My first character didn't build up on crafting at all unlike my other characters."

Nope.

Violet_0

Banned
do you mind posting your build ? kind of have a hard time figuring out traits in this game.

my (experimental) Engineer build is really sort of weird, 10/30/30/0/0

I wanted a condition damage/healing/toughness build for my character. Most people will probably tell you to put points in Alchemy for some really cool traits (Drink an Elixir S at 25% health, Throwing or consuming elixirs removes conditions from those affected, Become immune to conditions when health is below 25%) and vitality. I don't much like the Explosives tree, but it give you much needed power and some great traits for grenades. But you can really play all sorts of build as an Engineer.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
No groups to play with at all of friends you know? Not in GAF Guild? I don't understand why you would subject yourself to torture like that.

PUGs in this game are going to be BRUTAL because the majority of people don't understand the mechanics of the game.

They are better with folks who know what they are doing and can communicate (communication is really needed for alot of them so using vent/ts/mumble is helpful), but not a whole lot better. The dungeons in this are pretty subpar

I'm in a guild with 10 or so friends, but most of them play so goddamn casually it irks me out, haha. They'll never reach level 80 at this rate.

I'm seriously considering making the jump from JQ to Stormbluff... But I'm more invested in MoP right now, so I guess I'll wait a bit before making that decision.

Levyne

Banned
How do I join gaf's guild? read the op's description several times and couldn't understand it derp.

What are you willing to sacrifice

(Pm an officer, offhand "Hawkian the Blade")

I don't really understand the mystic forge at all, how do I use it?

Either

1.) Put four items (or 3 items and a mystic forge stone) and get a random equal or higher rarity item back
2.) Make an item from a set recipe, which can be found on the wiki, reddit, etc.

jersoc

I've not gotten into WvWvW, but would love to learn the mechanics of it. Would totally be down for a set night.

there are quite a few things you can do in wvw to help out the team even alone.

1)follow the zerg, or a zerg. Obviously the point is to take stuff. they do this

2)defend. a place with lots of supplies and siege weapons can be held by a short few hopefully more than long enough for any reinforcements to come and help out. This will net you a shit ton of karma. Even a bronze is 200 some every 2 minutes

3)Run supplies/guard doylaks. A fort with no supplies is wide open. Always repair and build stuff to increase defense. This helps a shit ton and no one does it. Really needs some sort of reward added from anet imo. Like I said, no supplies and your fort will be taken in no time.

4)scout, not for all classes obviously. But scouting supply camps for flipping is helpful. Hopefully you can get some people to help you. Easier with a guild probably. We do this a lot in gaf.

5)create distractions. Hit places and run. Don't flip. Requires a small group. Any less 5 you won't show on the map.

Random stuff
Always carry 10 supplies. Always.(Reminder from Retro below post: Only get supplies from the camps. NEVER the fort) This will carry over from previous maps. Look at the top middle to see how many you have. If you zone in with 0 the very first thing you do is head to a supply camp.

Supplies from the fort should be used while under siege to A)repair the door or wall they are attacking. B)help setup siege. This is why you never take supply from forts unless you need to.

If someone drops a ram at the door, build that shit quick. It'll be focused fire. You have about 15-20 secs depending on defenders til they FF and destroy it. People are idiots and never do this. If a siege is dropped in a smart place build that shit. That's why you got 10 supplies. If you want to be awesome. recall and grab more and come back! Odds are the walls still be up anyways when you get back.

Sometimes the zerg hit shitty targets. Not much you can do about this outside of offering suggestions. Hopefully they cut supplies before going after a big camp. If not, try to get a group and do so. Kill their doylaks whatever you gotta do.

You will die. Probably a lot. But you can make good money too especially if you're defending. Don't be afraid to fight zerg vs zerg. As melee it really pisses me off when I charge in and no one else does. As a guardian I can survive about 15-20secs more than enough time. But people are bunch of pansies and rather turn tail and run. I don't get it.

edit:eek:ne more thing
During a siege if you can't do nothing else. Do whatever you can to STOP reinforcements from getting in. Stun them, root, push back. Guard that entrance. Hang back 20 some yards and kill people before they can get in the door. The Karma comes from killing the lord, not beating on a door.

Never place a ram with oil up.

Arrow carts don't require LOS. Just that you see the target. Place them out of reach as they die fast. These can stop dead zergs.

So there's a short basic primer.

Retro

there are quite a few things you can do in wvw to help out the team even alone.

Addendum; don't take supply from anywhere but a supply camp. The supply at towers and keeps is needed to reinforce those locations, and people who lazily grab 10 supply there instead of running a couple minutes away are making that location easier to destroy later.

jersoc

Addendum; don't take supply from anywhere but a supply camp. The supply at towers and keeps is needed to reinforce those locations, and people who lazily grab 10 supply there instead of running a couple minutes away are making that location easier to destroy later.

ah good point. I'll edit that in too

ok, added that in with a clarification too.
take from fort only while under siege. never let them get a fort with full supplies. hold out!

Retro

ah good point. I'll edit that in too

I think that may be the biggest piss-off in WvW right now that could easily be prevented with a little common sense. Nothing is worse than being at a tower trying to reinforce it after having just broken an enemy siege and seeing the supply shrink to zero because all of the people who showed up to defend are taking it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Retro I never thought of that and always take supply whenever it's on the ground. I'll only grab it from supply camps from now on.

Brazil- apparently you can do dungeons with people on other servers, if maybe you'd like to try grouping with us sometime before decided whether or not you're interested enough to actually make the switch and join GAFguild.

What's the limit (lower+upper) amount of people for running a dungeon ?

Looking to get together a PUG for our very first story AC run and we're two people already, so how many more do we need for it to work out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom