• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

leng jai

Six of us took down the shields in the temple of Lyssa. Took us 30+ minutes. Eventually spread out into groups of two to defend and take the three spots.

Then the shield goes down and suddenly there's people in the zone and now everyone cares.

>|

Hobo Bandwagonners I say

Anyways, good job by everyone.

Hawkian will give us medals for that.

Hey guys, I just bought Guild Wars 2. As an Australian, am I better choosing the North American or European Server? Thanks!

Depends what hours you play. The US server seems to be pretty busy even during the day, I log on randomly from 2 PM PST to 9 PM PST and there are 30-60+ members on. I'm not sure about the EU crowd.

I think once they add in grouping and guesting it won't be a problem, you just want to pick a server you will WvW with the most (if that pertains to you) as you can't join WvW with the NA guild members if you are on the EU server and vice versa.

Midou

Yeah but I don't want to lug an extra weapon around, usually

I've always really wanted 2 sets of dual weapons, maybe holding the key to swap to the other set, even if it's only out of combat. I hate setting up the horn in my offhand to run with a group in WvWvW then changing it back before fighting. I used to use both bows and a greatsword on my ranger, but it's just too much of a pain to swap to stuff in your inventory.

scosher

I don't have +condtion damage, no point in using the staff

Yeah, that's the main reason I use Sword/Sword + Greatsword. Both weapons use similar gear setups, focusing on precision and power over condition damage. If I were to use Staff, and condition damage gear, I think I would prefer Scepter/Pistol as my weapon swap.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Mobbing Event this weekend! Haven't decided completely on a locale yet but I'm leaning toward Fields of Ruin. It'd be cool to do one in each region of Tyria before repeating and we haven't touched Ascalon yet, and it'll fit the "theme" of the weekend with our Diessa Plateau jumping puzzle event.

Plus, it's sort of continuing a slowly upward level trend for these events. I assume almost everyone in the guild has a level 30 character roughly by this point- but even if you don't, bring your highest level character and get some mad XP- seriously, we'll help you get hearts well above your level. Finally, I just really like Ebonhawke for obvious reasons and think it would be a fun zone to roll with a big group. I know a lot of people don't even know about the Asura Gate in Divinity's Reach, so that'll be cool. Everbody can get there without spending any silver. Although I understand that the Charr who attend will have mixed emotions.

Aiming for Sunday evening, maybe a little earlier in the day than usual, but not set in stone yet.

Also, don't miss out tomorrow on our 2nd Guild Explorable Dungeon Run! CM this time. Ash claims this one isn't a timed/race event but don't listen to that dude, he's a looney. Come experience the frantic pace of leaving your fellow guildmates in the dust! Enjoy learning tips and tricks to get through efficiently that can be applied to any dungeon! Bask in the glory of fixed token rewards!

pyrandes

A mesmer who never uses staff is never a whole mesmer.

Plenty of reasons not to use a staff, including playstyle choice. I went thru a couple days without using one, doing a confusion bomb type build. Worked out great.

That said, I never leave LA without one of each weapon; one never knows what will be useful and when, and i like feeling as if im a swiss army knife.

damn these event bugs are getting out of hand, after the patch even, in Gendarran fields i now encountered like THREE events in a row that simply didnt work (EU here) :(

still loving the game but stuff like this really oughta get fixed quicker since these are OBVIOUS things, not some subtle little problems...

Hari Seldon

Finally at like level 36 I'm getting the hang of the thief melee combat. Just can't wait to get some decent looking armor. Is there a way to preview the look of armor on the auction house, because I cannot figure out how for the life of me.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Plenty of reasons not to use a staff, including playstyle choice.
Thanks for the indirect defense pyrandes <3

Staff is amazing and I wish I could cast chaos storm, but I love my other weapons of choice too much to give them up in favor of what's "best." I do this a lot in games (Dark/Demon's Souls a wonderful example) and while it makes things more difficult for me while learning, it also forces me to get good at succeeding the way I want to play, and makes me more ready for high-level play.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Do I ever love not having a sub fee. With Warcraft, I would be feeling really guilty and wasteful by sidelining the game and placing most of my free time on LittleBigPlanet Vita and Dead or Alive 5, but I haven't played GW2 much in the last two weeks. I think I might give it a couple hours over the weekend though.

Not being shackled down is great.

Sora_N

Hmm, I just made Ele last night just to try it out. I feel like I should have made a Mesmer since everyone seems to be talking about it. Having fun with the Ele though, really nice to see the spells.

Vossler

Yay for me, as I've gotten my ascalonian bow, and I am off Thursday and Friday of this week. Time to play some serious GW2. I will totally be joining the CM run tomorrow! Also, if there is time, can possibly do a dungeon rotation?

zulfate

Do I ever love not having a sub fee. With Warcraft, I would be feeling really guilty and wasteful by sidelining the game and placing most of my free time on LittleBigPlanet Vita and Dead or Alive 5, but I haven't played GW2 much in the last two weeks. I think I might give it a couple hours over the weekend though.

I totally agree been playing the shit out of borderlands 2. Its great knowing i am not paying a subscription!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
wait, since when is Staff considered to be the best mesmer weapon now?
For PvE- eternally, so far as I know. Having played around with it for just a few minutes I can't say I disagree, either. Ridiculous condition stacking with Illusionary Elasticity and full clones, a phantasm that synergizes with it, Chaos Storm which is great offensively, defensively, and as a built-in ethereal combo field, Phase Retreat lets you give yourself Chaos Armor from any of said fields, and the real version of Chaos Armor itself. It's quite a force, but I can't give up my weapon sets. Though I do plan to use it occasionally for funsies.

edit: Borderlands 2 is a blast. Definitely gonna be ramping up my playtime of that and scaling back on this soon. Soon... maybe... after I complete my full exotic loadout (armor/accessories/weapons) for The Blade and get The Masque to 80. Easy.. -_-

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Or in other words, playing a game to enjoy yourself instead of being "the best" and ignoring content for the sake of that.
Indeed, or hopefully not ignoring it, but electing to avoid it after checking it out once for curiosity's sake.

A counter-argument might be that my choices sometimes make the game less enjoyable for me (in Dark Souls I played a good chunk of the game with two barely-upgraded Jagged Ghost Blades, just cause they looked cool), but then again, I also find it immensely satisfying when I manage to succeed.

Finally at like level 36 I'm getting the hang of the thief melee combat. Just can't wait to get some decent looking armor. Is there a way to preview the look of armor on the auction house, because I cannot figure out how for the life of me.

It's not available yet. I was told you can go into the Mists and preview a bunch of stuff but I haven't tried that yet.

It is supposed to be put into the game eventually, at least ... that's the plan. Eh? Nothing, the Plan? I got nothin'

Achtius

It's not available yet. I was told you can go into the Mists and preview a bunch of stuff but I haven't tried that yet.

It is supposed to be put into the game eventually, at least ... that's the plan. Eh? Nothing, the Plan? I got nothin'

I just tried previewing in pvp locker, it works but I think some of the names are different (not 100% sure)

Ashodin

And just in time for the halloween events too! :)

For PvE- eternally, so far as I know. Having played around with it for just a few minutes I can't say I disagree, either. Ridiculous condition stacking with Illusionary Elasticity and full clones, a phantasm that synergizes with it, Chaos Storm which is great offensively, defensively, and as a built-in ethereal combo field, Phase Retreat lets you give yourself Chaos Armor from any of said fields, and the real version of Chaos Armor itself. It's quite a force, but I can't give up my weapon sets. Though I do plan to use it occasionally for funsies.

edit: Borderlands 2 is a blast. Definitely gonna be ramping up my playtime of that and scaling back on this soon. Soon... maybe... after I complete my full exotic loadout (armor/accessories/weapons) for The Blade and get The Masque to 80. Easy.. -_-

You better wait for me motherfucker. I'm just about to get phat paid and I want to co-op :(

So I haven't played the game in almost a month, getting back in to it with my level 42 human warrior. Were there any changes to the game since then? Is there a list of them? I remember before they didn't release patch notes.

Ashodin

So I haven't played the game in almost a month, getting back in to it with my level 42 human warrior. Were there any changes to the game since then? Is there a list of them? I remember before they didn't release patch notes.

forums-en.guildwars2.com

Patch notes all in the announcement section.

I might have to try to get into the gaf guild... the guild I'm currently in just simply doesn't do enough to make it enjoyable.

Hawkian and Ashodin mainly handle explorable dungeons and occasional WvW stuff. I handle the extremely casual jump puzzles along with Retro for the rest of the guild.

Events are somewhat planned in advance, but dungeons are something that is made up in guild chat and people just go.

anyone know why sometimes when i kill a random monster it will say 22 XP + 56 Bonus XP or something?

the next time i kill the same type of monster it will NOT say so, it seems totally random and is NOT related to any kind of food i am using to further XP or to daily monster collections etc.

th3dude

Anyone have any thoughts on best warrior weapons/traits to go for for PVE?

I like bow a lot. Currently running bow/greatsword. Traits are defense, crit, and condition (I think, i forget their names).

Ashodin

anyone know why sometimes when i kill a random monster it will say 22 XP + 56 Bonus XP or something?

the next time i kill the same type of monster it will NOT say so, it seems totally random and is NOT related to any kind of food i am using to further XP or to daily monster collections etc.

The longer a monster is "alive" within the world, it gains a bonus EXP every so often - meaning, parts of the world where people don't kill the monsters (even yellow passives will have this modifier) have huge EXP bonuses for killing them.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Bonus XP tells you how old a creature is :D

Sora_N

I'm still noob but isn't the bonus due to the monster not being killed for a long time?

The longer a monster is "alive" within the world, it gains a bonus EXP every so often - meaning, parts of the world where people don't kill the monsters (even yellow passives will have this modifier) have huge EXP bonuses for killing them.

oh ok nice... then how about my bonus xp that i should get from food though? oftentimes it will simply say "22 xp" instead of 22+5 bonus for example from the food that is activated, does it sometimes bug out or simply add it to the regular amount?

Violet_0

Banned
oh ok nice... then how about my bonus xp that i should get from food though? oftentimes it will simply say "22 xp" instead of 22+5 bonus for example from the food that is activated, does it sometimes bug out or simply add it to the regular amount?

food actually gives you +10% xp, the tooltip is kinda misleading. Not sure if the bonus is displayed in-game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
How to Interpret Items in GW2

All non-uniquely named items- be it armor, weapons, or accessories, follow the same naming scheme:

X('s) Y of (the) Z

Where:
X = Stat prefix
Y = Skin name
Z = Upgrade component (rune/sigil/gem)

Let's take an example item:
UWb2w.png

Here,

Carrion refers to the stat distibution, Power/Condition Damage/Vitality. If it were the Cleric's Legionnaire Sword, it'd be Power/Healing/Toughness. Berserker = Power/Precision/Critical Dmg. I don't know them all, but that's the deal.

Legionnaire Sword is the name of the skin. More on that later.

"of Rage" indicates the Superior Sigil of Rage, of course. If you change the sigil on the item, the name will change accordingly.

Crafted accessories are a little redundant, because the upgrade component that determines the suffix is what determines the base stats (so either the prefix or suffix is meaningless depending on your perspective).

Note: If you transmute a weapon, the prefix will no longer be displayed. I don't mind this so much, as "Berserker's Ebon Vanguard Pistol of the Hydromancer" is just getting a little ridiculous over time for a weapon name. Another note: sometimes, it seems like it keeps the old name which just makes things confusing, but at least they can't be sold as tricks to unsuspecting buyers on the TP.

Actually, after transmutation I really think ANet should allow you to rename weapons for a fee a la Skyrim; it's not like they can be sold. Then I could just have my sword be named Talon and call it a day.

Also note: When transmuting, you get three choices as far as the resulting item: Appearance, Base stats, and Upgrade (Rune/Sigil). Consider this when deciding on what to transmute to wind up with the item you ultimately want.

That's pretty awesome. I still haven't found a decent armor set that I think I really like though. At 31 I don't really think I have many options though.

Arken2121

I posted this in the GW2 forum and I figure I'd give it a shot posting it here for some feedback. I play a Guardian and while this might be a bit biased, i'm all for a discussion how the changes I've listed.

-Completely remove invulnerability from traits and replace it with burning or blind, as it stand we can’t stack invulnerability for it to make a difference.

-Also, remove all traits that in affect when you’re downed, no one uses them and they seem to be just put in there to fill space, same with falling damage.

-Rework the weapon master traits to give something else besides a 5% increase to damage, I don’t think it’s significant enough to warrant its use. Maybe add a certain amount to a specific stat within the tree.

-Zealous blade needs to scale with healing power better, at base it heals for 25 a hit while at over 1200 HP, it heals for 26.

-Strength in numbers doesn’t provide enough of a boost to once again, warrant its use. 30 toughness just doesn’t seem like much. Maybe put it closer to 100 or maybe 70?

-Remove Internal cds and put in combination with another skill. Example: Glacial heart is applied as a symbol when laying down Ring of warding. But instead of giving it such a large chance to apply chilling, maybe lower it to 10%?

-Focused mind doesn’t seem like much of a change since two of the meditations are already instant and are stun breakers. Maybe change to give more burning?

-More descriptive traits. As it stands there are a few traits that give vague descriptions about how they work.(Elusive power for one, Power of the Virtuous as another)

-Combine some of the symbol traits into one.

- I think pure of heart is bugged, how do you get healed when you’re already at full health when the aegis is removed?

-Remove Unscathed Contender, you’re almost never under the boon Aegis even in a small
battle for this to make it useful. Not sure of a change here.

-Indomitable Courage needs to be tweaked a little. When used it gives stability and it procs every 30 seconds instead of 40. A little contradictory on both sides when you use it the other side becomes negligible.

-Shielded Mind I believe should be tweaked as well since Indomitable Courage already gives you the stability to withstand CC, why have another?

-Elites: Renewed focus I think should allow for movement and skill usage and should remove all conditions when applied. As it stands, you’re not really invulnerable when using the skill.

Scepter has already been mentioned plenty of times so it doesn't need to be listed.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I dunno anything about Guardian but I don't see how you could want to lose the falling damage trait :p I already consider Eles an unloved class for lacking one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom