• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jersoc

I posted this in the GW2 forum and I figure I'd give it a shot posting it here for some feedback. I play a Guardian and while this might be a bit biased, i'm all for a discussion how the changes I've listed.

guardian stuff

Yeah, a lot of people think guardian is crazy OP but our traits dont meld with lots of weapons. Staff and scepter are fairly useless trait wise. Staff is a joke anyway and they nerfed the only skill you would want. Scepter needs to be reworked to shooting slower and moving faster. awful in wvw unless defending.

falling dmg is useless imo. plenty of ways to jump in wvw with minimal lost. maybe it's cause i wall climbed in wow before they removed that, but it's rather easy to do in gw2.

not saying guards are broken, but they aren't the be all end all people think. the game is really young still. it look blizzard a year to make warlocks good and that was class was more broken than even the necros. i'm sure they got a team working on classes, but balancing can(should) take a while to do and get right.

Ashodin

I posted this in the GW2 forum and I figure I'd give it a shot posting it here for some feedback. I play a Guardian and while this might be a bit biased, i'm all for a discussion how the changes I've listed.

-Completely remove invulnerability from traits and replace it with burning or blind, as it stand we can’t stack invulnerability for it to make a difference.

I assume you meant VULNERABILITY? Because yes, after the change to vulnerability and it stacking, it is useless for us. More blind, please.

-Also, remove all traits that in affect when you’re downed, no one uses them and they seem to be just put in there to fill space, same with falling damage.

Uh, no? Falling damage trait is for jumping puzzles. Traits when you're downed is a tossup, really.

-Rework the weapon master traits to give something else besides a 5% increase to damage, I don’t think it’s significant enough to warrant its use. Maybe add a certain amount to a specific stat within the tree.

I would like to see those traits have a benefit attached to each weapon type - faster attacks, extra secondary damage, etc. Make them unique and interesting.

-Zealous blade needs to scale with healing power better, at base it heals for 25 a hit while at over 1200 HP, it heals for 26.

This is the Greatsword heal trait, no? I think they meant for you to use this while doing AOE damage, not single target. Hence why it sucks. But, it's a grandmaster, so it should be way better than this.

-Strength in numbers doesn’t provide enough of a boost to once again, warrant its use. 30 toughness just doesn’t seem like much. Maybe put it closer to 100 or maybe 70?

The toughness spread out trait? I think the numbers could be tweaked here.

-Remove Internal cds and put in combination with another skill. Example: Glacial heart is applied as a symbol when laying down Ring of warding. But instead of giving it such a large chance to apply chilling, maybe lower it to 10%?

Internal CDs are there to stop people spamming abilities for a reason

-Focused mind doesn’t seem like much of a change since two of the meditations are already instant and are stun breakers. Maybe change to give more burning?

Agreed. Focused Mind needs a rework.

-More descriptive traits. As it stands there are a few traits that give vague descriptions about how they work.(Elusive power for one, Power of the Virtuous as another)

Also agreed. A lot of the descriptions are kind of nebulous and you have to test them yourself before taking. I had a hard time figuring out what the hell the Grandmaster burning trait on Virtues path did before realizing they wanted you to use it while Justice never got used.

-Combine some of the symbol traits into one.

Could see this happening.

- I think pure of heart is bugged, how do you get healed when you’re already at full health when the aegis is removed?

There are ways to reapply Aegis when you're down on health. You could make a whole spec around it, and blocking in general.

-Remove Unscathed Contender, you’re almost never under the boon Aegis even in a small
battle for this to make it useful. Not sure of a change here.

This one is there for ranged Guardians. I figured it out the other day. If you're scepter/focus and doing ranged, you should be good at avoiding damage often and keeping Aegis just sitting there. So more damage to you.

-Indomitable Courage needs to be tweaked a little. When used it gives stability and it procs every 30 seconds instead of 40. A little contradictory on both sides when you use it the other side becomes negligible.

I agree with this one. Indomitable Courage is kind of fighting itself. Do you not use Aegis and wait oh gosh, 10 seconds less, or pop it after Aegis wears off and gain stability and Aegis when you need it?

-Shielded Mind I believe should be tweaked as well since Indomitable Courage already gives you the stability to withstand CC, why have another?

This is the one where you get knocked around and gain stability, right? yeah I don't know what they were thinking on this one.

-Elites: Renewed focus I think should allow for movement and skill usage and should remove all conditions when applied. As it stands, you’re not really invulnerable when using the skill.

Scepter has already been mentioned plenty of times so it doesn't need to be listed.

Renewed Focus is fine the way it is, IMO. Allowing movement would just make the ability way too good - you're invulnerable for 3 seconds and people will either A) wait for you to come out to focus fire you or B) ignore you entirely. In PVE, it's an amazing ability to pop when you think you're about to get blasted. The only problem I have with it is that movement breaks it (so you only get the invulnerability). Why? You're invulnerable anyway, just make it always complete regardless if you try to move out of it. I do agree that it needs to remove conditions, but then that would make Runes of Lyssa worthless to me, imo. Just spec into Resolve Trait, pop it when you go into Renewed, then pop it again after it comes back up. Resolve Trait drops 3 conditions (fucking AMAZING).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Look at all the italics!

ArenaNet on dungeon rewards not being perfect yet said:
We agree and are constantly working on improvements to the system. Next week’s patch will have some more updates to our reward system that we just couldn’t get reliably tested this time around. The DR system improvements should help a lot, but we’ll have some more good stuff happening next week.
More good stuff? Man I already feel like I'm being showered in tokens after getting a chest piece from AC pre-anything and getting totally shafted along with Piecake in the initial dungeon patch. Bring it on.

Ashodin

Look at all the italics!

More good stuff? Man I already feel like I'm being showered in tokens after getting a chest piece from AC pre-anything and getting totally shafted along with Piecake in the initial dungeon patch. Bring it on.

I'm not sure what else they can add? More incentives to run multiple paths? Like, the rewards double if you complete all three? HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY SEXY LADAY

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm not sure what else they can add? More incentives to run multiple paths? Like, the rewards double if you complete all three? HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY SEXY LADAY
How about hidden objectives that you can complete for a small 5-10 token reward if you stumble onto them? I can think of one room you and I both know...

And apparently there's this:
0H2jB.png

Mindman

Just wanted to chime in and thank Hawkian for the awesome Xbox 360 controller config... this game is WAY BETTER with a controller!!!

Ashodin

Yeah the dungeons definitely could have secret objectives pop up like bonus events and give you rewards. I know only of AC that really does that. I think more will be in store.

Achtius

Look at all the italics!

the more the better ;P

Miutsu

Just wanted to chime in and thank Hawkian for the awesome Xbox 360 controller config... this game is WAY BETTER with a controller!!!

Talking about this, is there a way to easily use and aim, well, aiming skills? with the cursor centering I cannot aim at all or maybe I'm missing something.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
No problem, and yes it is! Note, you really should be thanking WeltallZero. The original idea and the button mappings are mine, but all of the magic behind the scenes is his. :)

Talking about this, is there a way to easily use and aim, well, aiming skills? with the cursor centering I cannot aim at all or maybe I'm missing something.
You're using the script that automatically recenters your cursor, and it's working right? If you play in windowed mode, you get a crosshair, which can help you get used to it.

Arcteryx

Anyone have any thoughts on best warrior weapons/traits to go for for PVE?

I like bow a lot. Currently running bow/greatsword. Traits are defense, crit, and condition (I think, i forget their names).

I went sword+shield/bow at "endgame", but leveling I used axe+axe/bow and completely destroyed mobs.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Does that apply to PS3 as well? I sort of want to try controller.
It will absolutely work with any gamepad whatsoever, but: The Xpadder profile is designed for the 360 pad, so you may need to rebind some things. I hear there is a 360 pad emulation layer to the PS3 motioninjoy drivers, but I haven't played with this myself. Can anyone who uses a PS3 pad weigh in on how the process differs?

The piece of the puzzle that does the camera/mouse recentering stuff is an AutoHotKey script (very much along the same lines as what Combat Mode does), and will work with any gamepad profiling software if you want to start from scratch, though our profile has been refined over 15+ iterations and I highly recommend it.

Deitus

It will absolutely work with any gamepad whatsoever, but: The Xpadder profile is designed for the 360 pad, so you may need to rebind some things. I hear there is a 360 pad emulation layer to the PS3 motioninjoy drivers, but I haven't played with this myself. Can anyone who uses a PS3 pad weigh in on how the process differs?

It is exactly the same. When I use Montioninjoy to emulate a 360 controller, as far as Xpadder is concerned it is a 360 controller and there is literally no extra setup required. The only thing you have to do is make sure Motioninjoy is running and recognizes your controller before you can get Xpadder to recognize it.

Edit- Correction: There is one more step. The first time you run Motioninjoy you have to check the option "Emulate Xbox 360 controller". It's right there on the main page after the other options to use the controller as a PS1, PS2, or PS3 controller, or a generic PC Gamepad, so you can't really miss it.

pyrandes

The piece of the puzzle that does the camera/mouse recentering stuff is an AutoHotKey script (very much along the same lines as what Combat Mode does), and will work with any gamepad profiling software if you want to start from scratch, though our profile has been refined over 15+ iterations and I highly recommend it.

I dont play with a pad gw2 myself, but there is a 360 pad emulation section in the motiontojoy drivers where you can assign the 360pad buttons to the ps3 pad buttons.

Sora_N

It is exactly the same. When I use Montioninjoy to emulate a 360 controller, as far as Xpadder is concerned it is a 360 controller and there is literally no extra setup required. The only thing you have to do is make sure Motioninjoy is running and recognizes your controller before you can get Xpadder to recognize it.

Yeah I've used my PS3 controller for Just Cause 2 on steam, so now I'm pretty sure there's no issue. Can't wait to get home tonight and try it. :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yo Ash/Hawk. We dungeon running tonite before I make short plans for BL2 with a buddy if mine?
Good and free tonight. I'm happy to run something before or after your BL2 session if you want. I am also happy to play BL2 with you as well (though I'm embarrassingly low-level).

pyrandes

Good and free tonight. I'm happy to run something before or after your BL2 session if you want. I am also happy to play BL2 with you as well (though I'm embarrassingly low-level).
No worries there. Im pretty darn low level as well.

Ill have to see if he wants to play still. He mentioned it back on Sun, so ill see.

Retro

Yeah the dungeons definitely could have secret objectives pop up like bonus events and give you rewards. I know only of AC that really does that. I think more will be in store.

There's also a jumping puzzle hidden in AC, but unless something has changed there's nothing at the end of it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Somebody on HoD got The Bifrost (legen. Staff) as well.

edit: God DAMN that effect is cool. You can really see an entire skybox through the sword when it's in motion.

Since one of the last updates, every time I login and launch Guild Wars 2 for the first time, it loads into a black screen and crashes. I can hear the music in the background and the hand icon that appears on the character select screen is visible but the client doesn't respond. Once I kill the program and launch it again, everything is fine.

Anyone else get this or know what might be causing it?

From now on when people ask "what to do at endgame?" I'm just going to answer "make a Sunrise".

Holy shit the effort into making that. I'll do it, but it will be about a year from now.
Maybe I won't do it.

zulfate

Since one of the last updates, every time I login and launch Guild Wars 2 for the first time, it loads into a black screen and crashes. I can hear the music in the background and the hand icon that appears on the character select screen is visible but the client doesn't respond. Once I kill the program and launch it again, everything is fine.

Anyone else get this or know what might be causing it?

My friend is having the exact same issue but we dont know how to fix it

J-Rzez

The only way to fix HoD is for at night when they have a full team that the opposing forces receive a "real" outnumbered buff. Sure, they're not breaking any rules, but at this point, they screwed up leaving free server xfers up and of course people flocked there. My only other hope would be for hardcores to leave HoD out of boredom, looking for a challenge, to SBI or where ever to even the odds.

Achtius

Somebody on HoD got The Bifrost (legen. Staff) as well.

edit: God DAMN that effect is cool. You can really see an entire skybox through the sword when it's in motion.

does biforst have special effects like that?

edit: nm found it
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/68802-long-awaited-the-bifrost-real-world-first-since-239/

sorta meh compare to sunrise

Dreamer: the arrow leaves a rainbow trail
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic...he-dreamer-first-legendary-born/#entry1985259

Levyne

Banned
Made my legendary weapon items requiring Orichalcum and Ancient wood today. Guess now I can sell those when I get em to actually have some sort of in game income.

nataku

As great as the legendary weapon effects look combat is already a mess of effects, when people start getting these items with their giant trails of light on each swing things are going to be so much worse.

ANet really needs to tone down effects, or add toggles to let us flat out get rid of effects that aren't beneficial, harmful or combo fields for the player. Hell, just let me display the rings for each of those and I'm good. I love the effects in this game, but they clearly didn't plan too far ahead with them.

Piecake

As great as the legendary weapon effects look combat is already a mess of effects, when people start getting these items with their giant trails of light on each swing things are going to be so much worse.

ANet really needs to tone down effects, or add toggles to let us flat out get rid of effects that aren't beneficial, harmful or combo fields for the player. Hell, just let me display the rings for each of those and I'm good. I love the effects in this game, but they clearly didn't plan too far ahead with them.

I dont think youll see too many people with legendaries. And if there are a number of them, that will be in a long while. But yea, an option to tone down effects would be really nice

etiolate

Banned
So do people sell the exotics they find to the TP or do they salvage for globs of ecto

Unless they're like level 60 exotics, they sell for more on TP than what ectos cost. I guess it depends on how many ectos you salvage from them. You get 6 ectos off of them then thats about 1g4s. Sell the exotic on TP and get 2g minimum for the most boring 80 exotics.

OTOH Level 75+ rares can be salvaged for 3 ectos and sell for roughly the same price as 1 ecto.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Hi everyone. So it turns out that the only armour and weaponry that will suit a tank build has to be gained through the Vigil or dungeons. Since I picked Priory with my warrior it looks like I've got a lot of Ascalon Catacombs ahead of me.

Is the main GAF guild open now and are dungeon runs common? I tried it once with a pick up group and died lots, so I'm not doing dungeons again if it's going to add 10+ deaths to my tally or be without Mumble.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hi everyone. So it turns out that the only armour and weaponry that will suit a tank build has to be gained through the Vigil or dungeons. Since I picked Priory with my warrior it looks like I've got a lot of Ascalon Catacombs ahead of me.

Is the main GAF guild open now and are dungeon runs common? I tried it once with a pick up group and died lots, so I'm not doing dungeons again if it's going to add 10+ deaths to my tally or be without Mumble.
Sounds like you'd get quite a lot out of joining the guild and we do still have room for the moment. PM or send mail to an officer in game (I'm Hawkian The Blade) and we'll getcha added.

I encourage you to go check out and post on www.gafguild.com. We do dungeon runs every night but I am also looking to make a thread there for people to schedule runs looking for something specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom