• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dries

So my girl wants to know if she can run GW2 on her laptop. She passed everything on Can you run it, except for the CPU check. The minimum they say is a Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, Core i3, AMD Athlon 64 X2. She has a AMD A4-3300M APU 1.90 Ghz. I'm not into AMD hardware at all, so is it possible for her to run and enjoy the game, even on lowest settings?

Her laptop specs:

AMD A4-3300M APU 1.90 Ghz
8 GB RAM
AMD Radeon(TM) HD 6480G
res: 1600 x 900

FillerB

I'm pretty sure that would work fine Dries. Low-Medium would work I think as they are similiar specs to mine. Though there might be slowdown in some areas/big mobs.

Bentendo

Alright... I have to vent. So I was in a dungeon. Doing fine. Never done it before and never said I did. I did't die once (unlike literally everyone else) and we get to this part where there are rolling balls and I die a couple of times. Since I'm lower level than the other people, one of them starts getting mad at me (even though he died several times in the same spot) saying how I'm a worthless liar since I suck and didn't tell him I never did the dungeon. I tell him it's just a game and to cool down and he kicks me out.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
You should have pointed out the death scores and asked him to fabricate a better argument out of his anus, and if he couldn't then it gave you license to ridicule him some more.

Nothing wrong with telling stupid people that they are indeed stupid.

Piecake

So my girl wants to know if she can run GW2 on her laptop. She passed everything on Can you run it, except for the CPU check. The minimum they say is a Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, Core i3, AMD Athlon 64 X2. She has a AMD A4-3300M APU 1.90 Ghz. I'm not into AMD hardware at all, so is it possible for her to run and enjoy the game, even on lowest settings?

Her laptop specs:

AMD A4-3300M APU 1.90 Ghz
8 GB RAM
AMD Radeon(TM) HD 6480G
res: 1600 x 900

I really doubt it.

I have a i5 2250 and a 780 (or something and while it runs fine when a whole lot of shit isnt going on on low-medium settings, it REALLY chugs when a whole lot of shit is happening (like 1-5 fps on the jormag fight)

My can you run it score is excellent

the game seems to be very CPU dependent, so if that doesnt pass, I dont think it will be playable

Alright... I have to vent. So I was in a dungeon. Doing fine. Never done it before and never said I did. I did't die once (unlike literally everyone else) and we get to this part where there are rolling balls and I die a couple of times. Since I'm lower level than the other people, one of them starts getting mad at me (even though he died several times in the same spot) saying how I'm a worthless liar since I suck and didn't tell him I never did the dungeon. I tell him it's just a game and to cool down and he kicks me out.

Wow, some people are juck fucking pathetic dicks. If youre not in the gaf guild, come join us! if anyone did that shit to you here, they would be kicked so fast...

Bentendo

Wow, some people are juck fucking pathetic dicks. If youre not in the gaf guild, come join us! if anyone did that shit to you here, they would be kicked so fast...

Thanks, it does mean a lot. Even though it is a game it bothered me for some reason. I was just doing the dungeon to have fun and was trying to be as helpful as possible since I knew me being a lower level (even though everyone is downscaled) would be brought up if I wasn't good. Every person who died I resurrected, including the guy who kicked me. :/

I knew there might be a problem when he got angry for people watching the beginning video without skipping. Thanks for the offer BTW... I might look into it ;)

Piecake

Thanks, it does mean a lot. Even though it is a game it bothered me for some reason. I was just doing the dungeon to have fun and was trying to be as helpful as possible since I knew me being a lower level (even though everyone is downscaled) would be brought up if I wasn't good. Every person who died I resurrected, including the guy who kicked me. :/

I knew there might be a problem when he got angry for people watching the beginning video without skipping. Thanks for the offer BTW... I might look into it ;)

He just sounds like pathetic scum. He also must have had a pathetic scum friend on that run since it takes 2 to kick someone

Ketch

Man... I need to get to 80. I really want to just want to play more WvW, but I know I will be so much more effective in a big team battle at 80 with good gear.

It's pretty interesting how reliant WvW is on PvE... like you need PvE stuff (xp, gold, gear, karma) to be better at WvW. Stands in contrast to what I'm used to from WoW.

th3dude

Is there an up to date cooking guide anywhere since the September 8th update that removed a lot of bulk ingredients from karma vendors?

Im stuck at level 75 where I need Vanilla Beans, but I have yet to find any and they are over 1s each on the TP.

Ketch

Is there an up to date cooking guide anywhere since the September 8th update that removed a lot of bulk ingredients from karma vendors?

Im stuck at level 75 where I need Vanilla Beans, but I have yet to find any and they are over 1s each on the TP.

I made it to 200 with out vanilla beans, but if you find some share your secret... I wanna make chocolate cake damnit.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Just have to bite the bullet and buy as many as you need for discovery- if you have some recipes to share, I'll buy 'em for you to help out!

Deitus

Man... I need to get to 80. I really want to just want to play more WvW, but I know I will be so much more effective in a big team battle at 80 with good gear.

It's pretty interesting how reliant WvW is on PvE... like you need PvE stuff (xp, gold, gear, karma) to be better at WvW. Stands in contrast to what I'm used to from WoW.

Because of the way the scaling system works, you really don't need to be 80 to be effective in WvW. Sure, having access to your elite skill and all of your traits are going to make you better, and level 80 exotic gear is going to be much better than level 10 white gear. I wouldn't expect to win 1 on 1 as a level 80 when I'm level 10 unless he was very bad or I caught him off guard.

However, a level 30 in Masterwork (Green) gear will have the exact same stats as a level 80 in Masterwork gear, so the difference is not as substantial as you might think. And the difference between exotic and masterwork gear is significant, but not earth shattering. Traits have a large effect how your character plays, but there are none that are absolutely necessary to play a class well. And elite skills... well I can't speak for other classes, but as an Elementalist I find that all of my elite skills are not very useful except in very specific situations in WvW. In general, if you have decent tactics and a sense for when to push and when to retreat, you can stay alive and contribute quite a lot to WvW at a low level.

As for Exp, Gold, Gear, and Karma: all of them can be earned in WvW. Gold and Gear rewards are lacking compared to PVE, but you still get enough for regular upgrades. Exp and Karma rewards are just fine, as long as you actually go after objectives that can be completed, and don't just stand there beating on the gates of Stonemist for an hour to no real benefit.

In general, I wouldn't recommend someone play WvW exclusively from 1 to 80 unless they really hated PVE. The rewards just don't quite match up to what you can get elsewhere. But as long as you have weaponskills unlocked for at least two weapon sets (1 for Elementalist and Engineer), and have two utility skills unlocked, you should not feel like you can't contribute in WvW.

Piecake

I'm an elementalist, and I just unlocked traits. Which paths are considered the most useful for elementalists?

never played an ele past level 6, but i found fire to be the best, and that boosts your power as well. So fire. make fire better and make fire hit harder. my ignorant opinion

Wallach

Wow, it really did go full on derp in here.

It's going to be okay, Yanger. Titan Alliance will always live on in your heart.

Edit - Actually speaking of, have they mentioned any specifics about upcoming WvW changes? I've looked through their dev tracker but they still seem quiet on that front.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
iqXR8ehZlwfTd.JPG

Tiring being such a pimp in WvW...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Man, fuck Trahearne

If you're a sylvari he wouldn't come out of the blue, but yeah he was like wtf

With that said, I prefer games where you aren't the chosen one.

I'm an elementalist, and I just unlocked traits. Which paths are considered the most useful for elementalists?

Pumping arcana lets you charge arcana wave faster which means faster repeated might buffs, fire for damage is a plus too

Atrophis

This heart and DE system really doesn't quite work for smooth leveling. I'm in Kessex Hills and I've done everything listed up to level 20, explored most of the zone but I've only just hit 18.

You end up having to repeat the same DE's over and over or going to another zone with the same level range which ruins any sense of flow.

Ashodin

You guys are underplaying the role you have WITH Trahearne. You are like Commander Shepard and he's Admiral Hackett. You do the grunt dirty work and the soldiers think you're awesome, he goes off and does his own little stuff. Though one of the final missions with him under Orr is awesome. Dat music.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
This heart and DE system really doesn't quite work for smooth leveling. I'm in Kessex Hills and I've done everything listed up to level 20, explored most of the zone but I've only just hit 18.

You end up having to repeat the same DE's over and over or going to another zone with the same level range which ruins any sense of flow.

Going to other zones is the key tho, especially when you end up going there via story. Much easier to travel too.

Sora_N

Somehow I managed to finish a quest and doing some other one right now, my character is just standing there while the NPC is killing the boss...lol. None of my attacks are going through, just got booted from the game again.

Well that was fun (not), finally managed to find a PUG, we go in and get UTTERLY destroyed by the 4th or 5th mobs we encountered, granted we were all noobs in there but still... we didn't have a "tank" (yes i know there isnt supposed to BE a trinity here but...) meaning no Guardian or Warrior, i assume one IS needed though right? (unless you're all level 80s and/or know exactly what to do here)

Bentendo

One of the few things I don't like about the game is that there are sometimes long periods of time where no music is playing :( Is there anyway to change this, because the soundtrack is just so fantastic.

Deadly

One of the few things I don't like about the game is that there are sometimes long periods of time where no music is playing :( Is there anyway to change this, because the soundtrack is just so fantastic.
In the options in sound there's a scroll bar to reduce the interval to 0

Ashodin

Well that was fun (not), finally managed to find a PUG, we go in and get UTTERLY destroyed by the 4th or 5th mobs we encountered, granted we were all noobs in there but still... we didn't have a "tank" (yes i know there isnt supposed to BE a trinity here but...) meaning no Guardian or Warrior, i assume one IS needed though right? (unless you're all level 80s and/or know exactly what to do here)

There are a couple things that you need for dungeons - gear up to YOUR level - IE, gear that is your level or close to it, say 30. If you are still wearing old gear, it will make you take more damage and do less damage.

You don't need a Guardian or Warrior. You just need to rotate damage from people in the dungeon - ie, the person with the most health should be standing in (literally body blocking) attacks against someone who needs to run away for their heal timer to come up.

And like you said, the majority of you guys were noobs in there. You're probably coming in with WoW experience and thinking things can get pulled or whatnot. It's more of a tactical game in combat - rolling away from enemies, using utilities to keep them at bay, etc. Everyone tanks for everyone, essentially. Just tell your party members if you PUG next time to not worry so much about if they're getting attacked but if someone is higher HP than them to jump in front of whoever's getting stomped.

There are a couple things that you need for dungeons - gear up to YOUR level - IE, gear that is your level or close to it, say 30. If you are still wearing old gear, it will make you take more damage and do less damage.

You don't need a Guardian or Warrior. You just need to rotate damage from people in the dungeon - ie, the person with the most health should be standing in (literally body blocking) attacks against someone who needs to run away for their heal timer to come up.

And like you said, the majority of you guys were noobs in there. You're probably coming in with WoW experience and thinking things can get pulled or whatnot. It's more of a tactical game in combat - rolling away from enemies, using utilities to keep them at bay, etc. Everyone tanks for everyone, essentially. Just tell your party members if you PUG next time to not worry so much about if they're getting attacked but if someone is higher HP than them to jump in front of whoever's getting stomped.

Hmm, what if the mob has aggro on the guy who's gettin stomped, how can someone else just "jump" in front when the mob follows the other guy ? My gear was pretty good for my level (i craft it accordingly) but i can't vouch for the other guys tough

Ashodin

Hmm, what if the mob has aggro on the guy who's gettin stomped, how can someone else just "jump" in front when the mob follows the other guy ? My gear was pretty good for my level (i craft it accordingly) but i can't vouch for the other guys tough

MOBs get "MAD" in the game more than aggro. They are mad at players who try to Rez, mad at players who line of sight, and mad at players who use more skills that lock them in place. The guy who is running away from the mad mob should be advised to dodge, let the other guy run in, use some sort of ability that locks down or pushes back, and that should make the mob mad at that guy instead. Blocking abilities also get mobs mad. Anything that immobilizes, etc.

The biggest thing you can do is check your utilities and see if you're using more solo-friendly ones rather than group-friendly. Just nudge your party members with "put on group-friendly utils" and they'll check their skills real quick. I sometimes forget that my bar setup is for solo-play when heading into dungeons. There are utilities that work MUCH better with groups than solo.

What class do you play?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Winnie, is there a particular reason you want to do it with a PUG versus a decent team? You apparently don't have to be on the same server, if that's the issue.

You don't need a guardian or a warrior. You don't need any classes in particular.

You do need adequate gear, constant communication, target calling, and if lacking foreknowledge about the dungeon, patience and caution. You ALWAYS want to try to res someone in a downed (not defeated) state- it goes much faster than in PVE.

Every class has different strategies and tricks to use to survive in dungeons. What class are you?

edit: Lol just saw ash ended his post the exact same way. Hehe.

Ashodin

Winnie, is there a particular reason you want to do it with a PUG versus a decent team? You apparently don't have to be on the same server, if that's the issue.

You don't need a guardian or a warrior. You don't need any classes in particular.

You do need adequate gear, constant communication, target calling, and if lacking foreknowledge about the dungeon, patience and caution. You ALWAYS want to try to res someone in a downed (not defeated) state- it goes much faster than in PVE.

Every class has different strategies and tricks to use to survive in dungeons. What class are you?

edit: Lol just saw ash ended his post the exact same way. Hehe.

we just want to heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp

*posting this from girl's house hee hee

I am on an EU server...

Playing an Ele level 35 right now (my main lol) and yeah i guess i DID have scepter/dagger combo which is what i use to level and got used to pretty well, so far in AC we only had 2 foes at a time but for some reason they used some super powerful mojo that knocked all FIVE of us down and killed 3 of us instantly :(

Achtius

I am on an EU server...

Playing an Ele level 35 right now (my main lol) and yeah i guess i DID have scepter/dagger combo which is what i use to level and got used to pretty well, so far in AC we only had 2 foes at a time but for some reason they used some super powerful mojo that knocked all FIVE of us down and killed 3 of us instantly :(

when they glow, you gotta dodge away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom