• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Basically, their wins were becoming empty and nobody was caring anymore, the lopsided scores were creating boring fights, and incoming changes to scoring or WvWvW might take away from their numbers advantage and knock them off the top. "

I don't think anyone actually cared/felt threatened by any potential (unlikely) changes to scoring.

"In the exact opposite way of what ANet was hoping, the community tried to work out the issues with WvWvW on their own, but it will take more than just TA spreading out. You still need Oceanics matched up with Oceanics, and you still need to account for how people attained their ground gain when tallying scores."

I still completely disagree with this entirely.

Koroviev

I have no idea what I'm doing. Do you guys have any tips for combat? I'm really out of my element playing an ARPG(?) without a controller. It feels so...unnatural (._. )

etiolate

Banned
"Basically, their wins were becoming empty and nobody was caring anymore, the lopsided scores were creating boring fights, and incoming changes to scoring or WvWvW might take away from their numbers advantage and knock them off the top. "

I don't think anyone actually cared/felt threatened by any potential (unlikely) changes to scoring.

"In the exact opposite way of what ANet was hoping, the community tried to work out the issues with WvWvW on their own, but it will take more than just TA spreading out. You still need Oceanics matched up with Oceanics, and you still need to account for how people attained their ground gain when tallying scores."

I still completely disagree with this entirely.

I think the Australians cared, because the Aussies seemed to talk the most shit and be most concerned with the debate.

I don't see why you disagree with some accountability for scoring and improvement to the scoring system. If there's no improvement then just remove it entirely. As long as taking undefended to barely defended keeps gets you the same amount of points as taking well defended keeps then taking the empty keeps will always be the meta, and that meta is harmful to the health of the game because it makes the least enjoyable part of WvWvW the most important.

"I think the Australians cared, because the Aussies seemed to talk the most shit and be most concerned with the debate. "

Naturally, nobody wants their success to count for less than someone else's artificially, especially for reasons outside of their control.

"I don't see why you disagree with some accountability for scoring and improvement to the scoring system. If there's no improvement then just remove it entirely. As long as taking undefended to barely defended keeps gets you the same amount of points as taking well defended keeps then taking the empty keeps will always be the meta, and that meta is harmful to the health of the game because it makes the least enjoyable part of WvWvW the most important."

Again, I'm all for removing scoring and adding some other alternate reason for pushing for success in WvW outside of just owning shit. People bringing up ideas from DAOC like darkness falls, etc. I'm all for that stuff.

Koroviev

You have a dodge.

Yeah, but it's very limited. I mean, how is the flow of combat supposed to work? I noticed that if I press '1' or something, my character will attack an enemy several times, but then I can't dodge an incoming attack. I'm frozen in place until I've taken a hit or two. I'm sure this is obvious to everyone else, but I've literally never played an mmo before. It's hard (T_T)

Basically, I'm desperately flailing through generic enemy encounters right now, lol. For the most part I survive, but it's pretty pathetic to watch.

etiolate

Banned
"I think the Australians cared, because the Aussies seemed to talk the most shit and be most concerned with the debate. "

Naturally, nobody wants their success to count for less than someone else's artificially, especially for reasons outside of their control.

"I don't see why you disagree with some accountability for scoring and improvement to the scoring system. If there's no improvement then just remove it entirely. As long as taking undefended to barely defended keeps gets you the same amount of points as taking well defended keeps then taking the empty keeps will always be the meta, and that meta is harmful to the health of the game because it makes the least enjoyable part of WvWvW the most important."

Again, I'm all for removing scoring and adding some other alternate reason for pushing for success in WvW outside of just owning shit. People bringing up ideas from DAOC like darkness falls, etc. I'm all for that stuff.

That could work. I like the idea of World bosses spawning for losing Borderlands to rally behind, and those world bosses dropping good loot for the other side defeating them. Of course that would have to account for the 1v1v1 somehow.

etiolate

Banned
Yeah, but it's very limited. I mean, how is the flow of combat supposed to work? I noticed that if I press '1' or something, my character will attack an enemy several times, but then I can't dodge an incoming attack. I'm frozen in place until I've taken a hit or two. I'm sure this is obvious to everyone else, but I've literally never played an mmo before. It's hard (T_T)

Basically, I'm desperately flailing through generic enemy encounters right now, lol. For the most part I survive, but it's pretty pathetic to watch.

What class are you playing? You can dodge while attacking. I do it with my sword attack all the time.

Survival-wise, I break defense into two section for GW2. Proactive and Reactive. Dodging is reactive, as is moving out of red circles and strafing directional projectiles. Proactive defense is snaring/cippling an enemy and then kiting, circle kiting, disabling an enemy with stuns or dazes, and blinding an enemy before you go in. Things like Aegis and block are both proactive and reactive. You can see a windup coming and trigger a block or you can go in with a block up to negate a first hit. Setting reflect walls is also proactive and reactive, but better used proactively in anticipation of a ranged mob. Some projectiles will hit you if your reactive defense isn't fired off before the projectile reaches a certain point.

J-Rzez

Congrats on TA for having coordinated the most "non-peak NA" players. Many HoD players admitted that SBI had superior talent while fighting. Just when you logged off for bed after taking back much in force, and logging on in the morning before work and you see they took over the entire WvW was annoying.

etiolate

Banned
From Colin just 45 minutes ago:

The last data I saw had an overwhelming majority of transfers from servers with long queu times (generally from winning servers), to servers with short queu times (generally to losing servers). There are some people going to the winning servers, but the simple truth is the vast majority are not.

That being said, we are working on long term improvements to queus, transfers, and WvW content in general. We’ll talk more about this in the future as features/plans get closed to being finalized.

edit: The TA disband is really gonna screw up the ranking system for next week.

"Congrats on TA for having coordinated the most "non-peak NA" players. Many HoD players admitted that SBI had superior talent while fighting. Just when you logged off for bed after taking back much in force, and logging on in the morning before work and you see they took over the entire WvW was annoying."

Who? Where? SBI had a single weekend on top, and every other "primetime" weekend or weekday, never held a PPT lead for any significant period of time. Get real, dude.

BrettWeir

"Congrats on TA for having coordinated the most "non-peak NA" players. Many HoD players admitted that SBI had superior talent while fighting. Just when you logged off for bed after taking back much in force, and logging on in the morning before work and you see they took over the entire WvW was annoying."

Who? Where? SBI had a single weekend on top, and every other "primetime" weekend or weekday, never held a PPT lead for any significant period of time. Get real, dude.

Wow. Serious business up in here. lol.

TheYanger

Lots of preening and epeening. People will forget them easily. Who were they again?

They just realized it was really fucking boring winning every week. It was no challenge and they got bored. That's what happens when you do that type of stupid shit. Everyone gets bored, the losers, and the winners.

It needs to be a tug of war, not a HULK SMASH every week.

Tell us how you really feel. I suspect you losers got far more bored than the winners, even if winning was boring. The fault lies with Anet for not giving the people sitting on your server incentive to do WvW, not with TA for actually caring about something they were doing. Get real. The fact that you find it important to try and shit over we who accomplished more than you, regardless of how long it lasted, is vastly more pathetic than people trying to win in a game.

I completely agree with Darkness Falls. It was the greatest success of DAoC pvp to me, it incentivized everything AND it drew people out of the frontiers and into the dungeon when they were ahead, being itself a natural balance for numbers.

I don't know about talent because I don't know anybody on TA personally nor do I group with the major SBI guilds butof the reasons you saw TA lead after the first weeks was a drop in participation due to night capping. This isn't to say that SBI would have won in a straight up fight, I doubt we would have. I personally thought it sucked to go into a losing battle knowing that a couple hours of progress after work would be gone in the morning. Plus repair bills in PVP are fucking stupid. Anet made a terrible fucking choice there. It's why I've been doing sPVP more now, haven't even que'd for the ZergVZergVZerg in over a week and sadly it's my favorite part of the game.

I think "night capping" (which I think is an unfair term, it lessens the legitimate progress made by those players) was completely fine. The problem was nobody on SBI or JQ stood up and tried to recruit guilds for our off peak times. THAT'S how we should have battled it. Not whining on the forums that I saw too much. But official forums for MMO's usually are just shit separated into different sections.

It's simple, if you want to protect your castle, you can't have guards only work from 9-5 and 'hope' nobody invades during the other times.

If JQ or SBI would stop being such pussies on the forums, we could have had some transfers and created an alliance just the same. Granted, that would have kind of sucked fighting the same 'mega-servers' match-up each time.

Tell us how you really feel. I suspect you losers got far more bored than the winners, even if winning was boring. The fault lies with Anet for not giving the people sitting on your server incentive to do WvW, not with TA for actually caring about something they were doing. Get real. The fact that you find it important to try and shit over we who accomplished more than you, regardless of how long it lasted, is vastly more pathetic than people trying to win in a game.

I completely agree with Darkness Falls. It was the greatest success of DAoC pvp to me, it incentivized everything AND it drew people out of the frontiers and into the dungeon when they were ahead, being itself a natural balance for numbers.

I don't see him "shitting' on anything, just saying how it must have been boring besides the first quote, I'll give you that, but I think that was just generic sarcasm. So tell me, since you were in TA, if it was so awesome and fun why the breakup? Why not continue to dominate? Wait to see if servers themselves tried to do something like I mentioned above (I know a couple guilds transferred to JQ or were thinking about it at least) so it was just a matter of time. I don't understand after what, a month of a games release that your obviously effective alliance is over ...why?

EDIT: FYI, I'm not being a dick, I think what TA did was perfect. In WoW I was in one of the dominate PVP guilds and people would AFK out of BG's facing us except for a few that organized against us. I just don't understand why it stopped so early in the game before really giving it some time for servers to adjust.

FillerB

ANet seriously needs to add an actual guild vs guild PVP. Something like Ragnarok Online's War of Emperium would be the shit.

ArenaNet said something about implementing Guild Halls / Player Houses further down the line.

Note that the following is just wild speculation on my part.

Each Guild Hall would be customizable to a certain degree for gold/influence.
- Major architectural style (based on the major cities)
- Layout (towers, basic room layout)
- Colours (similar to clothing)
- Room usage (define which rooms should be used as crafting rooms, stores, banks etc.)
- Placement and size of flags and emblems
- Placement and type of defenses (trebuchets, cannons, golems, traps, etc.)
- Upgrading walls, doors etc. similar to WvWvW​

Now Guild Vs Guild combat could then be that you can try to raid other Guild Halls and if succesfull can steal stuff from their guild bank and/or gain a percentage of their influence.

Invading Guild Halls would be pretty epic. Like an instance but with PVP players. It would be pretty hard to implement something where their wasn't griefing though.

Atrophis

Invading Guild Halls would be pretty epic. Like an instance but with PVP players. It would be pretty hard to implement something where their wasn't griefing though.

They pretty much had this in the first game. Every guild picked a guild hall and then could fight GvG battles using that hall in a ladder match, tournament or scrim. On the ladder the guild hall of the lowest rated team was used. Sad its missing from GW2. Obviously a lot of development time was spent on WvWvW to the detriment of other PVP options.

FillerB

Not really. Add an option where you can disable GvG-combat for your Guild. You can't be attacked, but also you can't attack any other Guild. Sure there needs to be a cooldown period after each invasion (so you can't switch GvG-combat off immediatly after you attacked another Guild so they can't retaliate).

They pretty much had this in the first game. Every guild picked a guild hall and then could fight GvG battles using that hall in a ladder match, tournament or scrim. On the ladder the guild hall of the lowest rated team was used. Sad its missing from GW2. Obviously a lot of development time was spent on WvWvW to the detriment of other PVP options.

That does sound like fun.

Not really. Add an option where you can disable GvG-combat for your Guild. You can't be attacked, but also you can't attack any other Guild. Sure there needs to be a cooldown period after each invasion (so you can't switch GvG-combat off immediatly after you attacked another Guild so they can't retaliate).

Good point. I was thinking a toggle would work too.

I don't know if I like the idea of stealing loot from the bank but having something to lose sure would get people to play more. I just hope many people wouldn't just turn it off in fear of losing their loot lol!

Piecake

That does sound like fun.

Good point. I was thinking a toggle would work too.

I don't know if I like the idea of stealing loot from the bank but having something to lose sure would get people to play more. I just hope many people wouldn't just turn it off in fear of losing their loot lol!

Id be in favor of having no loot steal and no karma steal, but instead, have the victory be able to change the losers guild banner into a 'loser banner'

This loser banner would have a bunch of options like a a dog on his back with his tail between his legs, or a mewing little kitten.

I think that would be pretty funny.

Deadly

He's not shitting over anything just stating fact. I don't play WvW myself and saw it coming a month ago.

Id be in favor of having no loot steal and no karma steal, but instead, have the victory be able to change the losers guild banner into a 'loser banner'

This loser banner would have a bunch of options like a a dog on his back with his tail between his legs, or a mewing little kitten.

I think that would be pretty funny.

Haha! That would be awesome.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I have lost motivation to level up alts.

I have a terrible case of alt-itis.

I rushed to 80 on my Asuran Guardian.

THEN I LEVELED TO 80 A NORN GUARDIAN.

Now it's a Necro. Which is probably healthier than Guardian again.

Deadly

Why'd you level 2 guardians? I can't imagine going through the same thing all over again. Sure hope you enjoyed the story :lol

Shanlei91

Why'd you level 2 guardians? I can't imagine going through the same thing all over again. Sure hope you enjoyed the story :lol

I got a Mesmer and Thief both to level 10ish and got bored very quickly, filled with fond memories of leveling my Guardian.

So I made another Guardian and had a blast haha. I am now completely behind in regards to dungeons though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Hahaha are you out of your mind? :lol You took two of the same class to 80 one after another?

Oh man :D

Every day I consider buying another character slot for a Guardian. But I have my 80 thief which I don't consider nearly complete, I want 3 different complete armor sets for him, and one of which will require an alternate weapon loadout so that's at least one or two more exotics (speaking of which, I'm now in the market for a Mystic Dagger but have zero experience with the Forge... any tips?). Then a 39 Mesmer I'm having a lot of fun with but needs tons of work. Then nothing else above level 6 :p

edit: Wait a minute, I can't find the recipe for the Mystic Dagger nor does it seem to have the skin I thought it did.... puzzling

edit again: Aha I see how they work, it's called a Mystic Spike. An Eldritch Scroll for 50 skill points, 30 mystic coins, and Ori components (so far behind on my weaponsmithing, dunno if it'd be worth it to level up for this or just buy them).

Shanlei91

Hahaha are you out of your mind? :lol You took two of the same class to 80 one after another?

Oh man :D

Well, I got back from a bar one night and drunkenly asked on here for someone to talk me out of leveling a Guardian to 80 again because I was bored of my alt Mesmer/Thief/Engi. No one did and I proceeded to go ahead with it. I woke up, not remembering if I had made the Guardian or not. Then find a level 15 Guardian who was dressed as Santa Claus and decided that would be my new main haha

Well, I got back from a bar one night and drunkenly asked on here for someone to talk me out of leveling a Guardian to 80 again because I was bored of my alt Mesmer/Thief/Engi. No one did and I proceeded to go ahead with it. I woke up, not remembering if I had made the Guardian or not. Then find a level 15 Guardian who was dressed as Santa Claus and decided that would be my new main haha

Drunken MMO choices.

ngbbs4fe95d3185aea.png

Moondrop

Banned
I have no idea what I'm doing. Do you guys have any tips for combat? I'm really out of my element playing an ARPG(?) without a controller. It feels so...unnatural (._. )

Here's a tip: use a controller! Come over to the GAF Guild website for specifics.

J-Rzez

Fighting. You know, brawls, battles, in AND outside keeps. There were many people from HoD posting in that locked thread on gw2guru how that if SBI had more people on at all hours, and if they coordinated like they did, things would have been more interesting. These people noted how they lost numerous skirmishes out in the field. Deal, dude.

Moondrop

Banned
These people noted how they lost numerous skirmishes out in the field.
This was exactly my experience- HoD had much superior tactics and organization, but in direct confrontation were not that fearsome. I found the average player at Jade Quarry or Crystal Desert to be more intimidating. Though I haven't played WvW in a week or so, I played extensively until then.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's all anecdotal. In 1v1 situations I was 4-1 or so against HoD players over the past couple weeks but a) that had plenty to do with my class/build's capabilities in 1v1 situations and b) I didn't even get into a single 1v1 bout with anyone from another server to compare.

"Fighting. You know, brawls, battles, in AND outside keeps. There were many people from HoD posting in that locked thread on gw2guru how that if SBI had more people on at all hours, and if they coordinated like they did, things would have been more interesting. These people noted how they lost numerous skirmishes out in the field. Deal, dude."

No shit. If SBI had done that then it would have been more interesting, but that statement and "SBI is superior" are completely different. And yes, HoD groups lose skirmishes, just as SBI groups lose skirmishes, just as JQ or ET groups lose skirmishes. Did you think otherwise? And I'm sorry, you can't really claim SBI is superior overall or complain about off-peak capping when you've yet to reliably beat HoD on-peak.

Again, get real.

Ketch

Damnit. All this talk makes me want to play WvW all weekend! Who's with me? Hawkian, lets capture a keep for GAF.

I'll be on tonight around 7ish pacific.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Damnit. All this talk makes me want to play WvW all weekend! Who's with me? Hawkian, lets capture a keep for GAF.

I'll be on tonight around 7ish pacific.
Actually I'm definitely down for some tonight especially is Ash is going to be off somewhere having the sex. Might even take my Mesmer in for the first time, I don't have any kind of confidence with him but I want to experience what it's like to be on the other side of the WTF-festival that is fighting a Mesmer one on one.

Ashodin

Wow, some people are mad they lost their win shield

The fact of the matter now is that SBI will most likely top the server rankings once the majority of TA leaves Henge. And it's a good thing too, because the only real reason they won any matches was sheer numbers. There are graphs from ANet as proof.

Like J-Rzez said, a lot of Henge players admitted that SBI had great tactics and had they had more players (superior numbers) they would have put up more of a fight. So enjoy your hollow wins good sirs, now it's time to really fight.

And yes Hawkian I will be away tonight, have fun with some WvW, especially if it resets tonight. Should be much more interesting than the snoozefest put up by Henge since the game launched.

arimanius

Wow, some people are mad they lost their win shield

The fact of the matter now is that SBI will most likely top the server rankings once the majority of TA leaves Henge. And it's a good thing too, because the only real reason they won any matches was sheer numbers. There are graphs from ANet as proof.

Like J-Rzez said, a lot of Henge players admitted that SBI had great tactics and had they had more players (superior numbers) they would have put up more of a fight. So enjoy your hollow wins good sirs, now it's time to really fight.

And yes Hawkian I will be away tonight, have fun with some WvW, especially if it resets tonight. Should be much more interesting than the snoozefest put up by Henge since the game launched.

XujHL.gif

My WvW dream remains having an all-Mesmer party ruining people's days.

I'd be down for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom