• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'm done ranting. I'm sure, just like Blizzard, they know what they are doing (maybe a hint of sarcasm, just a touch, not much ... like when you don't notice an onion ring in your fries and eat it and think "hrm, that french fry tasted an awful lot like an onion ring" but aren't sure if the onion taste was just from your hamburger).

So, do you need dungeon tokens from certain dungeons if you don't plan on getting the set from there? I think all the sets I want are from 75-80 so I might ignore the dungeons until I get to 80 (unless people need help and I'm able).

I just wasn't sure if the tokens are good for anything else besides the armor sets and weapon skins.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think I'm done ranting. I'm sure, just like Blizzard, they know what they are doing (maybe a hint of sarcasm, just a touch, not much ... like when you don't notice an onion ring in your fries and eat it and think "hrm, that french fry tasted an awful lot like an onion ring" but aren't sure if the onion taste was just from your hamburger).

So, do you need dungeon tokens from certain dungeons if you don't plan on getting the set from there? I think all the sets I want are from 75-80 so I might ignore the dungeons until I get to 80 (unless people need help and I'm able).

I just wasn't sure if the tokens are good for anything else besides the armor sets and weapon skins.
There are a couple interesting things you can buy with dungeon tokens besides the sets and weapons-

Potions of [whatever you'll be fighting in that dungeon]
A recipe for the extended version of that potion
A tonic (oh boy -_-)
The rune from the armor set of that dungeon, including Superior

The last bit is very cool if you're interested in completing the rune set but don't want all the armor (me!)

Also remember dungeon tokens are account bound. Keep in mind, you might not want anything from a certain dungeon for that character, but later on an alt just might!

edit: Holy bejesus, the potions cost 1 token each. My random 6 knowledge crystals can leave my inventory after all.

food edit: I love when I get a bonus onion ring in my fries.

pyrandes

Oh, pyrandes, hawkian and others, are you guys down for some more HOTW tonight? I need three runs exactly to get the pants. I've decided that's my next piece.

Definitely down for this and other runs (SE). Ill keep an eye out to see if the group gets together (sounded like Hawk was in, so need 2 more :))

Kingbrave

Charr warrior is the greatest thing in the world. Well, electricity...and the ladies...but you can buy those things, right?

GS and then duel axes is a way to go. Sure I don't have a ton of range, but I can't see that far anyway.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Let's do crazy speedy efficient runs starting as early as possible cause suddenly it turns out I will be occupied at midnight FUCK YOU GREEN MAN GAMING I WAS TRYING TO BE SO STRONG

pyrandes

Let's do crazy speedy efficient runs starting as early as possible cause suddenly it turns out I will be occupied at midnight FUCK YOU GREEN MAN GAMING I WAS TRYING TO BE SO STRONG

Lol

This can be one of two things:

(1) Dishonored (which is what ill be playing when it unlocks)
(2) XCom

Levyne

Banned
Hmm. I wonder how retroactively awarding the tokens will work. Makes sense, though, that's how GW1 worked exactly: rewarding a decent weapons for each campaign.

Ashodin

Hmm. I wonder how retroactively awarding the tokens will work. Makes sense, though, that's how GW1 worked exactly: rewarding a decent weapons for each campaign.

Everyone who completed the personal story gets ONE (1) token to trade for a skin. Sent to you in the mail.

Choose wisely.

So fellow Charr Engineers who are a part of the Iron Legion, how did you get past the Deadly Force quest?

Edit: And it fixed itself.

Also, what are everyone's favorite zones so far? My vote goes to Timberline Falls, such a pretty zone.

Lulubop

d5f09e8fd3c6629f85eb7fd56654e77ac60bd6fb.jpg

Ton of Bots by Yakkingtons Toil in Frostgorge.

Sullichin

Can someone point me in the right direction for warrior armor that doesn't look horrible, that is accessible at level 17? Or am I stuck with this really freaking ugly chain mail / scale armor choices. I've been to a lot of places and I haven't seen anything else, just better versions of those. It doesn't look like I can utilize these cultural armor vendors yet. Can I smith something cooler looking? Total noob here

Also why can't I hit 60fps solid in this game with supersampling on an i5-2500k / HD7870? It's smooth enough but not a solid 60. I have AA disabled.

I am enjoying this though. Don't have much experience at all with MMOs except for a very brief stint with WoW trial years ago. It's fun to explore and getting better loot is addicting.

Ploid 3.0

Quick question, how are these items obtained? There's like a version with 3 other stats (Knight's Amulet for example).

8d4e9e974dfdcb486d40d68fe9ccb88d1285d61c.jpg

A abstract answer like Grind Dungeons to buy with it's currency will do. I don't think I saw something like this on the Trading Post.

Wallach

Quick question, how are these items obtained? There's like a version with 3 other stats (Knight's Amulet for example).

8d4e9e974dfdcb486d40d68fe9ccb88d1285d61c.jpg

A abstract answer like Grind Dungeons to buy with it's currency will do. I don't think I saw something like this on the Trading Post.

Those are only available in sPvP (Heart of the Mists).

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The difficulty of this game is kind of broken sometimes. It's really not fun when something like Bathazar one hit KOs everyone. Soooo annoying!

Ken

The difficulty of this game is kind of broken sometimes. It's really not fun when something like Bathazar one hit KOs everyone. Soooo annoying!

That's why you stand back and poke at it while other people die.

And if you're a melee character too bad because Anet hates melee characters.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah if you're melee avoid bosses and switch to your ranged weapon. You'd be dealing good damage anyways. You should always be bringing a ranged weapon for your alt weapon.

Boss fights are kite them around with range weapon because the balance of this game is pure shit, I said a few weeks ago on this forum people lol at me, but when you don't have a trinity system in the game bosses shouldn't be 1 hit kill every damn time, the Risen Abomination Champion in cursed shore yesterday down me with one hit, I got hit for 35k, I am a guardian with 16k hp...Failnet said fuck the balance someone will res you, that's there motto...

I have a new SweetFX setup. Posting these in case someone's interested:
Relevant bits of code (download SweetFX yourself and then tweak the parameters):
Code:
   /*-----------------------------------------------------------.
  /                      Choose effects                         /
  '-----------------------------------------------------------*/

// Set to 1 for ON or 0 for OFF
#define USE_SMAA_ANTIALIASING 1
#define USE_LUMASHARPEN 0 //Also sharpens the antialiased edges which makes them less smooth - I'm working on fixing that.
#define USE_BLOOM 0       // Bloom makes bright lights bleed their light into their surroundings (relatively high performance cost)
#define USE_HDR 0         // Not actual HDR - It just tries to mimic an HDR look (relatively high performance cost)
#define USE_TECHNICOLOR 0 // Attempts to mimic the look of an old movie using the Technicolor three-strip color process (Techicolor Process 4)
#define USE_TONEMAP 0
#define USE_VIBRANCE 0    //Intelligently saturates (or desaturates if you use negative values) the pixels depending on their original saturation.
#define USE_SEPIA 0
#define USE_VIGNETTE 1    //Darkens the edges of the image to make it more look like it was shot with a camera lens. May cause banding artifacts.
#define USE_DITHER 1      //Applies dithering to simulate more colors than your monitor can display. This lessens banding artifacts (mostly caused by vignette)

#define USE_DPX 1         //Unfinished - Should make the image look like it's been converted to DXP Cineon - basically it's another movie-like look similar to technicolor

/                       Vignette settings                     /
#define VignetteRadius 1.00  // lower values = stronger radial effect from center
#define VignetteAmount -0.5 // Strength of black. -2.00 = Max Black, 1.00 = Max White.
#define VignetteSlope 2      // How far away from the center the change should start to really grow strong (odd numbers cause a larger fps drop than even numbers)
#define VignetteCenter float2(0.500, 0.500) // Center of effect.

/                      Cineon DPX settings                    /
//I have yet to find good default settings for this .. maybe you can?
float Red = 15.0;   //[1.0 - 15.0]
float Green = 15.0; //[1.0 - 15.0]
float Blue = 15.0;  //[1.0 - 15.0]

float ColorGamma = 1.0f;    //[0.1 - 2.5]
float DPXSaturation = 1.0f; //[0.0 - 8.0]

float RedC = 0.3f;     //[0.6 - 0.2]
float GreenC  = 0.3f; //[0.6 - 0.2]
float BlueC = 0.3f;   //[0.6 - 0.2]

float Blend = 0.5f; //[1.0 - 0.0] How strong the effect should be

etiolate

Banned
I go melee with bosses quite often, but I think Mesmer's blurred frenzy plus OH block give them a bit of invulnerable time to depend upon. I also step out on occasion, and if I am sword/focus, I kite behind the iWarden while still staying in melee swing range. I kind of move /\/\/\/\/ in a circular pattern around a boss. I stick in front if I have blurred frenzy or a disable/block. I still hop out and go range for a bit as well. Maybe 60% melee and 40% range on some bosses, but it does depend on the boss. I do get thrown into downed state, but that's a part of the game.

If I want to stay max amount of time in melee range on a boss, it's probably sword/sword with signer of inspiration (random aegis), a charged mantra of distraction and maybe decoy to have a clone eat a hit, but having null field or feedback to create chaos armor is very helpful as well.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Relevant bits of code (download SweetFX yourself and then tweak the parameters):
Code:

#define USE_LUMASHARPEN 0 //Also sharpens the antialiased edges which makes them less smooth - I'm working on fixing that.
#define USE_BLOOM 0       // Bloom makes bright lights bleed their light into their surroundings (relatively high performance cost)
#define USE_HDR 0         // Not actual HDR - It just tries to mimic an HDR look (relatively high performance cost)
#define USE_TECHNICOLOR 0 // Attempts to mimic the look of an old movie using the Technicolor three-strip color process (Techicolor Process 4)
#define USE_TONEMAP 0
#define USE_VIBRANCE 0    //Intelligently saturates (or desaturates if you use negative values) the pixels depending on their original saturation.
#define USE_SEPIA 0
#define USE_VIGNETTE 1    //Darkens the edges of the image to make it more look like it was shot with a camera lens. May cause banding artifacts.
#define USE_DITHER 1      //Applies dithering to simulate more colors than your monitor can display. This lessens banding artifacts (mostly caused by vignette)

#define USE_DPX 1         //Unfinished - Should make the image look like it's been converted to DXP Cineon - basically it's another movie-like look similar to technicolor

#define VignetteRadius 1.00  // lower values = stronger radial effect from center
#define VignetteAmount -0.5 // Strength of black. -2.00 = Max Black, 1.00 = Max White.
#define VignetteSlope 2      // How far away from the center the change should start to really grow strong (odd numbers cause a larger fps drop than even numbers)

Gorgeous. I might try this out as well with a little less vignetting. Thanks for posting this

Ploid 3.0

He means it's free immediately from the sPvP vendor. Those amulets have inflated stats because you can't wear any other jewelry slot in sPvP.

Ah crap, I knew it had to be too good to be true for PVE. Oh wells that's nice for if I do sPVP. Thanks.

Grayman

I started playing a bit more this weekend, is there anyway to reliably kick off a dynamic event or a chain? I spent a lot of silver flying around trying to find events to do my dailies.

My mesmer has been feeling much weaker after the patches but i hadn't played in awhile and I am playing 3-4 levels above my level without new gear.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

Code:

#define USE_TONEMAP 0
#define USE_SEPIA 0

Oh this is awesome. I've never heard of this before. Does it take a really beefy rig to get your results?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Boss fights are kite them around with range weapon because the balance of this game is pure shit, I said a few weeks ago on this forum people lol at me, but when you don't have a trinity system in the game bosses shouldn't be 1 hit kill every damn time, the Risen Abomination Champion in cursed shore yesterday down me with one hit, I got hit for 35k, I am a guardian with 16k hp...Failnet said fuck the balance someone will res you, that's there motto...

Why are you expecting a Champion level event boss to solo?

etiolate

Banned
Even turning on the HDR and Bloom effect in the SweetFX settings isn't hitting my FPS too hard so far. Still tweaking settings to get one that I like and is functional.

zon

So fellow Charr Engineers who are a part of the Iron Legion, how did you get past the Deadly Force quest?

Edit: And it fixed itself.

Also, what are everyone's favorite zones so far? My vote goes to Timberline Falls, such a pretty zone.

Bloodtide Coast and Kessex Hills for me, it was a joy to run and explore them.

I'm looking to do some story mode dungeons on my elementalist now. Do people usually group up in Lion's Arch or the zone the dungeon is in for story mode.

I'm looking to do some story mode dungeons on my elementalist now. Do people usually group up in Lion's Arch or the zone the dungeon is in for story mode.

I've seen both. I actually turn off map spam unless I'm looking/asking something myself but when it's on I see a ton of requests in a particular zone and in LA. Also quite a few serious WvW guilds that recruit anybody who are serious about being serious, 18+, Mumble, Serious.

Dead. Serious.

Oh this is awesome. I've never heard of this before. Does it take a really beefy rig to get your results?
For the colors? Nope! But I do use 2x SGSSAA and forced ambient occlusion in those shots, so yours probably won't look quite like mine (and both of those hit the framerate hard).

Also I don't mind blurriness, so I have FXAA on top of SMAA and SGSSAA. I HATE temporal aliasing, so yeah <_<;

someone recommend me a jumping puzzle to do after Goemm's Lab which was pretty cool (tedious but cool) I tried the Swashbuckler's caves but got lost/beaten by overwhelming number of mobs, and the Demongrub pits but also got lost in the maze so i gave up :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom