• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
For the colors? Nope! But I do use 2x SGSSAA and forced ambient occlusion in those shots, so yours probably won't look quite like mine (and both of those hit the framerate hard).

Also I don't mind blurriness, so I have FXAA on top of SMAA and SGSSAA. I HATE temporal aliasing, so yeah <_<;

Thanks, but how did you manage these if I may ask? Through your video card?

did they change something to the auto attack pattern with the patch? I notice that now my Guardian will simply stop swinging his greatsword after alternating skills and i have to KEEP pushing 1 for him to do so even though auto attack is ON on that keybind wtf?

Is it just me or is TA explorable much more difficult than most of the other dungeons? I've run AC, CM, and HotW on explorable, and running TA last night just seemed brutal compared to those. I'm sure a lot of it was down to our inexperienced group, but even the regular mob encounters were pretty vicious with all the poison clouds everywhere.

Also, I have apparently been neglecting my accessories. Just spent 8 or so gold to buy some nice exotic stuff from the TP, and my stats took a really noticeable jump. They make a bigger difference than I had thought.

I never knew there was 2 puzzles in LA found the second one last night...

It's called Trolls End and you gather mats just before you reach the chest...

Moondrop

Banned
Melee is just fine, provided you (1) trait for it, (2) gear for it, and (3) don't stand still. Apparently that's too much to ask of some players.

They seem to have change the Ori nodes to once a day, 12 nodes in PvE,12*3=36/2=18 ignots, for a Armorsmith you can make all 6 pieces of armor with one daily collection, but for a jeweler it sucks they can only make 1 piece a day, to make the Amulet it requires 16 ignots, and the rings and earrings are 14 each...

Vildiil

so this is how bad the invisible bug is. look at the minimap compared to what i could see.
wvw is unplayable right now, especially as melee.

Yeah, I gave up on WvWvW last night after about 15 minutes. It's gotten a lot worse since the Sunday patch.

Thanks, but how did you manage these if I may ask? Through your video card?
I use Nvidia Inspector. For SGSSAA you have to set antialiasing to the equivalent level of multisampling in addition to setting the transparency antialiasing - for example, for 2x SGSSAA you set 2x multisampling and 2x sparse-grid super sampling. For ambient occlusion I just set it to the Skyrim bits (you also have to enable it in the section below the antialiasing section), though it's incompatible with any reflections and requires you set the sampling rate to "native" in-game.

Except range options for certain classes deal significantly less damage than melee.

Scepter and Staff do about 1/3 of the damage attacks from a Greatsword does as a Guardian.

Which doesn't really matter. Again it's all about doing it the easy way. Many groups rather not take risks that happen with melee users and then having to rez their ass if they mess up. Most just want to kite the way to victory as it's the safest and easiest way to go. It's also much less work and easier to los and use terrain than having to deal with in close boss fight mechanics and timing. The extra time it takes is not really an issue.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I use Nvidia Inspector. For SGSSAA you have to set antialiasing to the equivalent level of multisampling in addition to setting the transparency antialiasing - for example, for 2x SGSSAA you set 2x multisampling and 2x sparse-grid super sampling. For ambient occlusion I just set it to the Skyrim bits (you also have to enable it in the section below the antialiasing section), though it's incompatible with any reflections and requires you set the sampling rate to "native" in-game.

Ah yeah, doesn't look like there's any options there for AMD cards yet.

Speaking of which, goddamn AMD driver update broke everything, and rolling back broke guild wars. I need to go yell at my friend at AMD.

Vildiil

Which doesn't really matter. Again it's all about doing it the easy way. Many groups rather not take risks that happen with melee users and then having to rez their ass if they mess up. Most just want to kite the way to victory as it's the safest and easiest way to go. It's also much less work and easier to los and use terrain than having to deal with in close boss fight mechanics and timing. The extra time it takes is not really an issue.

Reading this post makes me even less inclined to care about Dungeons in this game.

Atrophis

I know I said I was thinking of rolling on SI but I'm having fun on Gandara so I'm gonna stay there for a bit. Need to get in the guild though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Again it's all about doing it the easy way.
No it's not :(
Ah yeah, doesn't look like there's any options there for AMD cards yet.

Speaking of which, goddamn AMD driver update broke everything, and rolling back broke guild wars. I need to go yell at my friend at AMD.
Oh... man. Just bought an AMD card for this game aah.
Is it just me or is TA explorable much more difficult than most of the other dungeons? I've run AC, CM, and HotW on explorable, and running TA last night just seemed brutal compared to those. I'm sure a lot of it was down to our inexperienced group, but even the regular mob encounters were pretty vicious with all the poison clouds everywhere.

Also, I have apparently been neglecting my accessories. Just spent 8 or so gold to buy some nice exotic stuff from the TP, and my stats took a really noticeable jump. They make a bigger difference than I had thought.
Hmm, are you killing every volatile blossom you see immediately?

Moondrop

Banned
Why bother when it's just soooo much easier to kite and use range on all the bosses?
Because there are many things I can do to help my party in melee range, including:
- Block (or reflect) boss attacks
- Interrupt boss attacks
- Draw attention away from squishier party members
- Heal party members who also choose to melee

But perhaps next you're going to tell me there are no party dynamics in Guild Wars 2?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Because there are many things I can do to help my party in melee range, including:
- Interrupt boss attacks
<3

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I would never solo one, but the game balance is fucking shitty.....

They've been fixing balances lately. And again, it's not like you're going to solo that beast.

So fellow Charr Engineers who are a part of the Iron Legion, how did you get past the Deadly Force quest?

Edit: And it fixed itself.

Also, what are everyone's favorite zones so far? My vote goes to Timberline Falls, such a pretty zone.

What was the problem you got though? The final ghost didn't spawn?

Also my favorite has got to be Plains of Ashford.

- Interrupt boss attacks

But perhaps next you're going to tell me there are no party dynamics in Guild Wars 2?

Weak party dynamics, sure. None of it is really needed. Lot of players have the opinion and prefer to kite and use range on boss fights for simple reason of it being just so much easier overall. Melee is not useless, but so many groups focus on the range because the game doesn't penalize you or force you to mix it up. With no regular aggro mechanic and the poor boss encounter design, many see it as a situation of, why bother with melee? Game essentially punishes the melee users by making it harder on them than the ranged players.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
For a newbie zone Plains is really quite awesome. I just finally saw the Charr cub event, those things are so goddamn adorable I'm going to eat them.
Weak party dynamics, sure. None of it is really needed. Lot of players have the opinion and prefer to kite and use range on boss fights for simple reason of it being just so much easier overall. Melee is not useless, but so many groups focus on the range because the game doesn't penalize you or force you to mix it up. With no regular aggro mechanic and the poor boss encounter design, many see it as a situation of, why bother with melee? Game essentially punishes the melee users by making it harder on them than the ranged players.
The party dynamics are not even close to weak if you have a good party. Capitalizing on each others' strengths and using the best available skill combos can really change any given fight.

Off the top of my head I can think of a boss that is completely invincible if you attempt to use only range.

Having a greater risk vs. reward for going in melee is not the same as being punished. Harder is not necessarily worse.

edit: You subbed out weak for "shitty"...?

someone recommend me a jumping puzzle to do after Goemm's Lab which was pretty cool (tedious but cool) I tried the Swashbuckler's caves but got lost/beaten by overwhelming number of mobs, and the Demongrub pits but also got lost in the maze so i gave up :(
Weyandt's Revenge in Lion's Arch. It's pretty fun and amusing.

Moondrop

Banned
Lot of players have the opinion and prefer to kite and use range on boss fights for simple reason of it being just so much easier overall.
Easier? I suppose. In that sense that it's easier to work a crappy job and eat hot pockets than earn a career and eat cleanly. You use the term "easy" like that's a good thing. Did you always pick Easy for the difficulty back in the SNES days?

Is it quicker to use all range? No, not in my experience.

jfoul

Does this game offer a bonus for maxing out two crafting disciplines? I thought I saw something about it awhile ago, but I'm probably mistaken.

etiolate

Banned
Well I took the Healing Mantra trait last night for a dungeon run and equipped just one mantra (Mantra of Pain)> I would say... not so bad. I don't have a lot of +healing, but I was still getting 2k+ heals on the group. I don't feel you need another Mantra besides Mantra of Pain since it essentially has no cooldown. You can charge it for the heal, cast the damage while doing other stuff, then have it ready to charge up and heal your group again about every 8-10 seconds.

I am not sure what the range on the heal from the trait is. It's either 600 or 900.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
For some reason your mantras didn't counteract me swimming through 20 mobs and aggroing them all on you while I got to safety. Must be a bug

Easier? I suppose. In that sense that it's easier to work a crappy job and eat hot pockets than earn a career and eat cleanly. You use the term "easy" like that's a good thing. Did you always pick Easy for the difficulty back in the SNES days?

Is it quicker to use all range? No, not in my experience.

It's a MMO, your playing with others who you have to depend on, and in most group encounters folks go for the easy and less risky route to insure success over potential failure and having to repeat an encounter. So many MMO boss fights degraded into a strategy of exploitation which killed much of the fun out of them, everyone would demand to play it such a way and suck out much of the fun and even if it took longer to do, they would go the easy way.

You want to play melee that is good for you, but it doesn't change how many are seeing how it's just easier to go the range route for majority of the fights. You don't get better reward nor does it really take that much longer to go that route.

The party dynamics are not even close to weak if you have a good party. Capitalizing on each others' strengths and using the best available skill combos can really change any given fight.

Skill usage has tons of overlap, as long as you plan as a group ahead things should work out fine with everyones choices. These skill selections and composition appy to a range/kite heavy focused group as well.

Moondrop

Banned
You want to play melee that is good for you, but it doesn't change how many are seeing how it's just easier to go the range route for majority of the fights.
And here we've circled back to my initial point, which is that the majority came to that conclusion without properly traiting, gearing, and/or positioning themselves. I can downlevel my character and crush the faces of veteran mobs that I had no chance against when I was actually that level. If you see that as a design flaw on Anet's part, I will not argue.

desverger

Well I took the Healing Mantra trait last night for a dungeon run and equipped just one mantra (Mantra of Pain)> I would say... not so bad. I don't have a lot of +healing, but I was still getting 2k+ heals on the group. I don't feel you need another Mantra besides Mantra of Pain since it essentially has no cooldown. You can charge it for the heal, cast the damage while doing other stuff, then have it ready to charge up and heal your group again about every 8-10 seconds.

I am not sure what the range on the heal from the trait is. It's either 600 or 900.

I wish there was just *something* we could do when channeling the mantra :(

That, or the heal would fire on mantra usage, not when channeling it.

It's what kills the mantra build for me really.

etiolate

Banned
Some screens with various settings of SweetFX:

iby5KIlnZNLHmZ.png

ibarUBW6U1nPY6.png

idAFuWPIbqE7I.png

iALuekwNZbz7o.png

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I wish there was just *something* we could do when channeling the mantra :(

That, or the heal would fire on mantra usage, not when channeling it.

It's what kills the mantra build for me really.
I'm confused. You can activate readied mantras while channeling others- you mean something more than that?

etiolate

Banned
He means that your character is locked out of any other activity while channeling except other mantras or instants like Mirrored Feedback. It's basically 4.5 seconds where you have to just walk around and hope nothing attacks you.

I'd like it if Mantras gave a benefit while charging in addition to their instant effect, because outside of Distraction, the instant effects aren't anything special. So like Mantra of Healing gave you protection while charging. Mantra of Pain gave you swiftness while charging. Mantra of Concentration gave you stability while charging and then broke CC on use.

Ashodin

He means that your character is locked out of any other activity while channeling except other mantras or instants like Mirrored Feedback. It's basically 4.5 seconds where you have to just walk around and hope nothing attacks you.

I'd like it if Mantras gave a benefit while charging in addition to their instant effect, because outside of Distraction, the instant effects aren't anything special. So like Mantra of Healing gave you protection while charging. Mantra of Pain gave you swiftness while charging. Mantra of Concentration gave you stability while charging and then broke CC on use.

that sounds like awesome ideas

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Well I guess Mantras already got the instant cast and "prepared prior to battle" bonus.

With that said, yeah they need some buff. Maybe better effects/damage or stock.

etiolate

Banned
Hrm, after some testing in the Mists it seems that the range on the Mantra Healing trait is "nearby" range. Meaning only 300-400. I'm not sure what nearby counts for in GW2, but its not very far. It felt like I was hitting at a longer range on heals in the dungeon though. The trait does work off of Mantra of Healing as well as the other utility mantras.

With +1288 Healing from full Rune of Dwayna + Cleric Amulet, I was maxing out at 2858 heals from the trait. Considering that I was getting 2k+ with just +311 healing in PVE, I don't think its worth much stat sacrifice to carry more +Healing if you want to use the trait.

desverger

Yup, exactly. The 4.5 seconds of inactivity is too much for me, I prefer a much more active playstyle.

And I personally don't leave home without Mantra of Resolve, it's just too useful. It's usually the exception I make with mantras.

Those are all pretty good ideas, now the only thing we get from charging a mantra is an armor boost from our crit trait line.

Kingbrave

My personal story quest is bugged. First one encountered.

Fix this shit Anet...

Or I'll just keep running around aimlessly at 73....

I hate the Straits of Whatever at 70 to 75....damn risen!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Straits of Devastation

Straits of Devastation

Straaaaaaaayyyyiaaaaiaaaaayts

Straaaaaaaayyyyiaaaaiaaaaayyyyts.

desverger

Interesting. That seems like it's on the wrong trait line, doesn't it? Make more sense on Chaos?

Yeah, I honestly don't know. The mantra traits are all over the place - one is tier3 major in power, one at tier1 in crit, and one at tier2 in vitality.

Kingbrave

Straits of Devastation

Straits of Devastation

Straaaaaaaayyyyiaaaaiaaaaayts

Straaaaaaaayyyyiaaaaiaaaaayyyyts.

If I said it's name, it would summon me there and eat my soul. Not my character but my true human soul...tastes like peanuts...I blame diabetes...

Hmm, are you killing every volatile blossom you see immediately?

Outside of combat yeah, in the heat of combat it was a little more hit-and-miss.

But it wasn't just the blossoms that were killing us, it was also the worms that blanket an area with AOE fields with almost no time to dodge, and the knight guys that were dropping 2-3 of us at a time in one hit. All compounded by the fact that there's only the one waypoint at spawn, so you have to run all the way back (sometimes through more respawning blossoms) to get back to the party. I like that each dungeon has its own flavor, but that experience just seemed wildly inconsistent with the other dungeons I've done, almost like it was made by a whole other team that didn't communicate with any others (especially the waypoint thing, that just seems like terrible design).

Granted this was a PUG of all first-timers, so I think that played a big part. I'll have to take another stab at it with guildies sometime.

I logged in for a minute and saw it. Given the score I can't help but wonder if a lot of people just stopped queuing, as we have more points than BG and IoJ put together.

That's weak. They might have to cut down on the 2 week long length epic battles as people who are winning will ride their streak and people who are losing will not give a shit.

Achtius

There were certainly a lot of enemy zerg @ blackwater bl. But I died only once while killing over 60.

The only time I got killed was when they magically appeared out of thin air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom