• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piecake

Looks like I can't make it to the event tonight. Damnit, I was really hoping to attend every one.

Someone memorize the location of the puzzles so you can take me later!

edit: Oh and I'm an Asura of my word:
ibcTppwWnFZ5Mf.png

Looks much more flamboyant in daylight, I assure you.

Lookin good!

Bwahahah

Kingbrave

Looks like I can't make it to the event tonight. Damnit, I was really hoping to attend every one.

Someone memorize the location of the puzzles so you can take me later!

edit: Oh and I'm an Asura of my word:
ibcTppwWnFZ5Mf.png

Looks much more flamboyant in daylight, I assure you.

You're still smaller than my sword...

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So I finally hit 80 earlier today, My zooey deschanel guardian.

Are there any specific sites dedicated to guardian builds that I should be checking out? Or is random wiki / forum posts about as good as it gets?

I'm still trying to figure out how I want to build the class. But that's what this week will be about when I get around to actually reading about what the heck all the abilities are :D

Ken

So I finally hit 80 earlier today, My zooey deschanel guardian.

Are there any specific sites dedicated to guardian builds that I should be checking out? Or is random wiki / forum posts about as good as it gets?

I'm still trying to figure out how I want to build the class. But that's what this week will be about when I get around to actually reading about what the heck all the abilities are :D

Pics.

Yeah, fuck Malchor's Leap and the Risen land at Straits.

Depends on the class, with my Engineer I agree those zones are challenging, with my Guardian those zones are easy... every day I walk through those zones to get my Orichalcum, Omnomberry, and Orrian Sapling and don't have an issues...

i like the prince better...

Sidenote: just did my first AC Explo run and damn that part with the graveling traps was REALLY annoying, we had to get another tank that was properly skilled first to even make it in the end :(

Made a Male Mesmer, wonder if people will complain about my name.....Pimphand is Strong...lol, I was planning to go with Pink Pimp and dye him pink...

Wallach

Depends on the class, with my Engineer I agree those zones are challenging, with my Guardian those zones are easy... every day I walk through those zones to get my Orichalcum, Omnomberry, and Orrian Sapling and don't have an issues...

I dunno, I haven't played in a little while but even right when I hit 80 my Engineer put boots all over those zones. Grenades, a rifle and a good power setup is pretty much all you need running around the overworld as an Engineer.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

I was engie there. Then again I'm more of a condition pistol engie.

jersoc

you guys want to have a wvw party later? Maybe we can turn the tide here on a map. Pretty sad that SBI rolled over with 48 hours.

Did the Order Whispers level 57 mission the other day. It's starting to get more interesting.

The music when you fight the Eye of Zaitan and the gatekeeper at the end was pretty epic. Does anyone know what it's called on the OST?

"Finally hit 400 cooking - what's worth making to sell?"

Absolutely nothing. You can spend a couple of days farming enough coriander to make an unidentified gray dye that'll sell for maybe 80s after TP fees. Not worth it.

The only sure money maker in this game is farming mats. Orichalcum ore and...uh....orichalcum ore. Various (really rare) Lodestones from dungeons. Maybe getting lucky gambling in the mystic forge, but that's a crapshoot.

Now that the game has been out for a while, what is the verdict? I didn't end up picking it up at launch (just too much other stuff), but I am once again curious. Is it still active? Is leveling fun? Are their non-pvp things to do at max level?

Just curious about impressions.

darkwing

"Finally hit 400 cooking - what's worth making to sell?"

Absolutely nothing. You can spend a couple of days farming enough coriander to make an unidentified gray dye that'll sell for maybe 80s after TP fees. Not worth it.

The only sure money maker in this game is farming mats. Orichalcum ore and...uh....orichalcum ore. Various (really rare) Lodestones from dungeons. Maybe getting lucky gambling in the mystic forge, but that's a crapshoot.

I don't think there's worth something to sell , after the effort and time, maybe legendary weapons? lols

Now that the game has been out for a while, what is the verdict?
Largely positive, from what I can tell. But there are issues and it doesn't deviate from the MMO mold in a radical way. It's an evolutionary step, not revolutionary. That said, the improvements are quite nice and very welcome.

I didn't end up picking it up at launch (just too much other stuff), but I am once again curious. Is it still active? Is leveling fun? Are their non-pvp things to do at max level?
Still plenty active. Leveling isn't really the point, getting new skill and trait points is cool, but levels happen quickly and you will hit max level with minimal effort.

Dungeons and Dragons are the big draws for end-game content that isn't PvP. Most people get tired of them fairly quickly. Future content should add to this, though.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Mats are the only thing worth selling and even then it's up to you if you wanna farm.

I consider TP a place on "renting" gear. Need some gear? Buy at TP, then sell it later.

etiolate

Banned
Now that the game has been out for a while, what is the verdict? I didn't end up picking it up at launch (just too much other stuff), but I am once again curious. Is it still active? Is leveling fun? Are their non-pvp things to do at max level?

I would say the vibe is still positive. It's positive for all the reasons they were originally positive, but now all the things that need to be worked on are known.

I've been checking server status out of the same curiosity as you. Around noon pst time to 3pst, all the NA servers are either High pop or Full on weekdays. I haven't checked at night (prime time hours) or on weekends. The GAF server is on one of the busiest servers, so it always feels active.

Leveling is more fun in the game than in any other MMO I've played. Though your level feels less like a completion status than world completion percentage does.

I've been doing mostly non-pvp max-level stuff. I may switch over to sPVP after the Halloween patch. At 80, I started doing the explore mode dungeons to collect tokens and see the different paths. I then started doing Orr. I actually hit 80 before hitting a level 70+ zone. I still have a lot of Frostgorge to do in fact.

The dragons are popular at high level, though I haven't been doing them quite as much due to loot being not as exciting without stacking magic find gear. There are still the zone bosses that are fun and I like that some of the dungeons have pre-events. The Flame Citadel pre-event is pretty big and a good loot source. It's also another zone that I have yet to fully explore. I have been working on 100% Orr zones and Mount Maelstrom. I'm a big fan of Maelstrom's visual look. It also feels like one of the most varied zones due to the volcanic area, misty jungle area, the Crucible of Eterny area and the large underwater area.

As for other max-level stuff: They took the continual skill points concept of Guild Wars and applied it to the Mystic Forge and that makes all those skill points pretty valuable. Crafting Exotics via the Mystic Forge takes 50 skill points at least. Others take more. Legendaries take a buttload of skill points to make. This makes all the WvWvW and dungeoning and gathering provide a pool of skill points to use towards some goal. I have crafted a Mystic Claymore for myself, and made an exotic staff called Melandru's Gaze which I aim to sell but may keep.

I think I may take a break from Orr and go find some more of the jumping puzzles. I ran across two in Straights of Devastation while trying to complete the zone. Just found the strawberry patch in Diassa Plateau on my Engineer alt. I'm an explorer type, and GW2 feeds that gaming hunger in metric fuckloads.

KuroNeeko

Just to double check, but who can we mail in-game for GAF invites? I know of Hawkian and Ashodin, but is there anyone else? I'm fairly consistent about when I get on, but unfortunately it looks like those times are not the same as GAF's guild leaders. /smirk

On a side note, I finally sat down and made a Sylvari Necromancer. I'd dismissed the class pretty early on but I made myself play one to level 10. As a result, I've found that I really like the class and the race - possibly more than the other races. Part of it may just be the design of the area, but the atmosphere, dialogue, and area are all pretty consistent and it just feels good. I made a guardian today and the character just clicked. I love my Guardian - now I just have to hope that I like the class.

I seem to be moving away from Mesmer. I like the visuals but I'm just not into the Shatter mechanic or the playstyle as much. I really like the reactionary nature of sword / sword and Staff is gawdlike but I just feel like I don't know where I want to take her so she's been getting shelved more and more recently. I still want to try out Ranger as pet collecting looks fun and the Spirits are visually appealing. Otherwise, just looking for a reactionary, counter-based class or something that I can kite with like Necro. Still having fun and anticipate spending more time with my Necro and Guardian for now.

Q1ller

Banned
Can anyone tell me how to get rid of the battle info that appears above the chat box area? It would be very much appreciated.

Piecake

I enjoy it. Obviously some dont agree with me, so its hard to say if you will like it or not. Personally, I think leveling is a ton of fun since it really doesnt 'feel' like leveling. It feels like exploring. I honestly didnt care about my level while leveling. I just wandered around the zone looking for cool shit to do, and I was usually rewarded.

As for end game, it really depends on what you want out of end game. If you want to continously feel more powerful by acquiring stronger and stronger gear, and feel that strength by pwning lower level stuff, you will be disappointed.

End game is not really all that different from leveling in guild wars 2. You will do the same stuff. Explore the world, do dungeons, do puzzles, WvW, etc. If you want raids, you will be disapointed.

Personally, i find dungeons in guild wars 2 more fun than other mmos due to you having to use a wide range of abilities and having to be on your toes at all times. There is strategy and mechanics you ahve to learn, but it is a lot more chaotic than most mmos. that chaos means that you have to think on your feet though. that chaos, however, also means that you wont get something as intricately designed as WoWs dungeons. So there is a trade off

Even if you get bored of end game since you arent progressing in stats (you progress in how bad ass your gear looks - lots of ways to customize), i think its still worth the price, so long as you enjoy the combat and exploration offered by leveling

90% map completion, currently working on jumping puzzles. Some of them are hard to figure out. I use a guide to find the entrance, but sometimes I have to work for a while and go in circles finding out what to do.

I havent had that puzzle element thinking in a very long time. It reminds me of PC Adventure games from the 90s. I just love the sense of adventure and discovery in this game! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom