• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Jumped on my Guardian for the first time in a month. I really do love how fluid this game feels in comparison to other MMOs. My only complaint still lies in the fact that the end-game is not as robust as some other games. That being said, I'm still going to love every moment of it. :)

FillerB

While it's not that pronounced on GAF, I don't really get why people are comparing the endgame/balance of GW2 against that of other games (read WoW). Some of those other games were already out before development on GW2 started. Is it really fair to compare them? The game has only been out for slightly less than 2 months. Give it some time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
While it's not that pronounced on GAF, I don't really get why people are comparing the endgame/balance of GW2 against that of other games (read WoW). Some of those other games were already out before development on GW2 started. Is it really fair to compare them? The game has only been out for slightly less than 2 months. Give it some time.
I agree that it's too early in the lifecycle to compare it to long-standing games. There's also a philosophical difference with regard to endgame, though. This game has no incentive to keep you playing via any sort of treadmill unless you're going after something (largely cosmetic) that you actively want; since you're not paying a subscription fee, though there's plenty to do (I still don't even have my full exotic set for my first character) it's never going to be a matter of keeping you logged in as much as possible.

I feel end-game is basically making you grind gear that will make you stand out a bit from the others.

I am definitely inclined to jump into Arah explorable and eventually save up for a nice set of armor from there.

I really enjoy hanging out and doing explorables with people and recently finished an entire Ascalonian Catacombs run.

So, if people are looking for end-game stuff to do, there's plenty but mainly graphical improvements to your characters. I think this game caters to the larger casual crowd who like to go in and do a few things here and there with a few hours per week.

People who are heavily vested in the game might go for a legendary or the ridiculous number of exotic recipes that are STILL being discovered.

My ultimate goal is to finish all the jump puzzles and the explorer achievements (this includes doing all the explorables). My secondary goal will be to fully finish the slayer achievements and I'll definitely take my time in doing so. Ultimate goal is to get every single class up to level 80 and I believe my sanity will be sorely tested next year.

Wish me luck!

squall211

I'm getting close to having a second lvl 80, a ranger. Can anyone recommend good pets for pve and pvp? I've basically been using the default brown bear since lvl 1.

Some of us are still barely over 50% world completion! :lol
I've logged hundreds of hours into this game and my map completion is only 51%. I'm using my alts to go through the other zones at a nice pace, then I'll rush through them later with my level 80 guardian. To me it already feels like I have two expansions tacked onto the main game.

Morokh

Same for me, sitting at 40% world completion, the areas i've not visited are reserved for alts leveling.

Haven't even done a single dungeon still xD

I feel end-game is basically making you grind gear that will make you stand out a bit from the others.

Only if that's what you want to make it, really. My personal "end-game" is going to be a lot like yours: getting 100% world completion (just one last bugged skill point, grr!), and leveling a few alts so I have more options for dungeons/WvW. I'll probably kit out most of my characters with decent exotics, but I have no intention of chasing after legendary stuff. Too much of a grind.

There is kind of a weird gap between the effort required for exotics vs. legendaries, so I can understand where someone would be disappointed if they're expecting a nice loot treadmill. But gameplay-wise, there's still plenty of stuff for me to do, and that's after already sinking way more time into this game than I probably should.

I'm getting close to having a second lvl 80, a ranger. Can anyone recommend good pets for pve and pvp? I've basically been using the default brown bear since lvl 1.

Normal PvE: Whatever you want, really. I was partial to the murellow for a while since it creates a poison combo field.

Dungeons: Bears (pretty tanky so they can stay alive) and devourers (ranged so they stay out of trouble, and somewhat tanky) are usually what I take. Everything else tends to get ground up pretty fast.

PvP: Canines are pretty solid, since they do a lot of control (they all have a knockdown, plus their pet skills do stuff like immobilize, fear, chill).

jersoc

god our server seems to be either we're number 1 in wvw or not play at all. wtf man. right now the pie is almost all green.

somethings going to have give from anet i feel to keep wvw alive. such a shame because i was excited to play in a hopefully close match for once. it's boring we just blow out servers like last week and sucks when our server doesn't even try the next. Maybe they should change the start day from a friday to a midweek so during the weekend the match isn't more or less decided by then in 48 hours.

god our server seems to be either we're number 1 in wvw or not play at all. wtf man. right now the pie is almost all green.

somethings going to have give from anet i feel to keep wvw alive. such a shame because i was excited to play in a hopefully close match for once. it's boring we just blow out servers like last week and sucks when our server doesn't even try the next. Maybe they should change the start day from a friday to a midweek so during the weekend the match isn't more or less decided by then in 48 hours.
Only thing that needs changing is JQ.
We were doing fine last week.

I have no suggestions though, other than removing JQ from WvW list. :p

Are you on SBI? The main reason we did good last week is that there wasn't server bloat on the other two, they were normal sized servers and SBI just has better organization (IMO). When we went back up into T1, JQ had the zerg transfer that helped HoD in the beginning (although TA had more to do with their winning, server transfers helped) and now JQ is basically what HoD used to be.

It will repeat like this forever and ever until Anet comes up with a plan to STOP the 'server of the week' transfers.

While organization and team will help win a lot, pure numbers make a huge difference. Sure, a team of 10 can hold off 15 or 20 if playing especially well, but a server can't hold off another server if they are fielding players constantly and outnumber you.

jersoc

Are you on SBI? The main reason we did good last week is that there wasn't server bloat on the other two, they were normal sized servers and SBI just has better organization (IMO). When we went back up into T1, JQ had the zerg transfer that helped HoD in the beginning (although TA had more to do with their winning, server transfers helped) and now JQ is basically what HoD used to be.

It will repeat like this forever and ever until Anet comes up with a plan to STOP the 'server of the week' transfers.

While organization and team will help win a lot, pure numbers make a huge difference. Sure, a team of 10 can hold off 15 or 20 if playing especially well, but a server can't hold off another server if they are fielding players constantly and outnumber you.

i'm sure xfers are some of the cause, but it's not really the main one.

there is pretty much nothing to help us come back in wvw right now short of mass organizing every battleground. that won't happen at all. even yesterday i played for almost 3 hours trying to do stuff but we had instant Q's. instant Q's on a weekend at 3pm. That's bad. So we had way less than JQ. There's just no mechanic right now to come back with.

Iresecia

Neo Member
Some of us are still barely over 50% world completion! :lol

I think I'm sitting on 59% right now. I'm back and forth between picking which class I'm taking to 80 next, world completion, and unsuccessfully finding TA explore runs. Also still learning I guess despite being in all the prepurchaser betas. This is my first mmo I've ever REALLY played.

nataku

I don't even want 100% world completion until they fix the whole seeing the star you get next to your name through terrain thing. Completely gives away your position in WvW. The commander icon is the same way, you can see it through terrain.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't even want 100% world completion until they fix the whole seeing the star you get next to your name through terrain thing. Completely gives away your position in WvW. The commander icon is the same way, you can see it through terrain.
You can see the commander icon of enemy commanders? That makes little sense... you'll be such a standout target...

Largely positive, from what I can tell. But there are issues and it doesn't deviate from the MMO mold in a radical way. It's an evolutionary step, not revolutionary. That said, the improvements are quite nice and very welcome.

Still plenty active. Leveling isn't really the point, getting new skill and trait points is cool, but levels happen quickly and you will hit max level with minimal effort.

Dungeons and Dragons are the big draws for end-game content that isn't PvP. Most people get tired of them fairly quickly. Future content should add to this, though.

I would say the vibe is still positive. It's positive for all the reasons they were originally positive, but now all the things that need to be worked on are known.

I've been checking server status out of the same curiosity as you. Around noon pst time to 3pst, all the NA servers are either High pop or Full on weekdays. I haven't checked at night (prime time hours) or on weekends. The GAF server is on one of the busiest servers, so it always feels active.

Leveling is more fun in the game than in any other MMO I've played. Though your level feels less like a completion status than world completion percentage does.

I've been doing mostly non-pvp max-level stuff. I may switch over to sPVP after the Halloween patch. At 80, I started doing the explore mode dungeons to collect tokens and see the different paths. I then started doing Orr. I actually hit 80 before hitting a level 70+ zone. I still have a lot of Frostgorge to do in fact.

The dragons are popular at high level, though I haven't been doing them quite as much due to loot being not as exciting without stacking magic find gear. There are still the zone bosses that are fun and I like that some of the dungeons have pre-events. The Flame Citadel pre-event is pretty big and a good loot source. It's also another zone that I have yet to fully explore. I have been working on 100% Orr zones and Mount Maelstrom. I'm a big fan of Maelstrom's visual look. It also feels like one of the most varied zones due to the volcanic area, misty jungle area, the Crucible of Eterny area and the large underwater area.

As for other max-level stuff: They took the continual skill points concept of Guild Wars and applied it to the Mystic Forge and that makes all those skill points pretty valuable. Crafting Exotics via the Mystic Forge takes 50 skill points at least. Others take more. Legendaries take a buttload of skill points to make. This makes all the WvWvW and dungeoning and gathering provide a pool of skill points to use towards some goal. I have crafted a Mystic Claymore for myself, and made an exotic staff called Melandru's Gaze which I aim to sell but may keep.

I think I may take a break from Orr and go find some more of the jumping puzzles. I ran across two in Straights of Devastation while trying to complete the zone. Just found the strawberry patch in Diassa Plateau on my Engineer alt. I'm an explorer type, and GW2 feeds that gaming hunger in metric fuckloads.

I enjoy it. Obviously some dont agree with me, so its hard to say if you will like it or not. Personally, I think leveling is a ton of fun since it really doesnt 'feel' like leveling. It feels like exploring. I honestly didnt care about my level while leveling. I just wandered around the zone looking for cool shit to do, and I was usually rewarded.

As for end game, it really depends on what you want out of end game. If you want to continously feel more powerful by acquiring stronger and stronger gear, and feel that strength by pwning lower level stuff, you will be disappointed.

End game is not really all that different from leveling in guild wars 2. You will do the same stuff. Explore the world, do dungeons, do puzzles, WvW, etc. If you want raids, you will be disapointed.

Personally, i find dungeons in guild wars 2 more fun than other mmos due to you having to use a wide range of abilities and having to be on your toes at all times. There is strategy and mechanics you ahve to learn, but it is a lot more chaotic than most mmos. that chaos means that you have to think on your feet though. that chaos, however, also means that you wont get something as intricately designed as WoWs dungeons. So there is a trade off

Even if you get bored of end game since you arent progressing in stats (you progress in how bad ass your gear looks - lots of ways to customize), i think its still worth the price, so long as you enjoy the combat and exploration offered by leveling

Great, thanks for the replies. I'm just bored with everything I've been playing, so I figure I might as well jump in with this.

Anyone using a controller? If so, how is that working? (And what program are you using to map?)

etiolate

Banned

there is pretty much nothing to help us come back in wvw right now short of mass organizing every battleground. that won't happen at all. even yesterday i played for almost 3 hours trying to do stuff but we had instant Q's. instant Q's on a weekend at 3pm. That's bad. So we had way less than JQ. There's just no mechanic right now to come back with.

They shouldn't have started week long matchups with free transfers still going. The fact that they are still free and the tiers have become a mess is crazy. Many of the matchups in each tier are dominated by one side. SBI dominated last week. This means by day three of the matchup, people stop queuing.

It's entirely about population and coverage right now. You either win and have hours of queue time or you lose and have no ability to come back. So you either can't play or have no reason to play.

I still go in for like an hour here or there, but if we're heavily outmanned, it costs too much in repairs to stick with it.

darkwing

plus JQ had the 3 orbs, it's tough to fight against 15% more health, etc...

Vossler

Woot hit jeweler 400 today.....that and leatherworking, completed. Now it's time to try and farm mats to start hopefully making some decent money.

etiolate

Banned
I haven't seen all the boss fights yet, but I imagine the Destroyer fight in CoE path 3 has to be the worst, or, at the least, the most annoying.

plus JQ had the 3 orbs, it's tough to fight against 15% more health, etc...

I agree on both points. It's seriously hard to come back when there is always the cap for one server. I will hand it to SBI's commanders though, they do a pretty good job. Without them I'm not sure where we'd be.

Piecake

I haven't seen all the boss fights yet, but I imagine the Destroyer fight in CoE path 3 has to be the worst, or, at the least, the most annoying.

Really? I found him to be pretty easy. Kill adds, kill boss, kill adds, once it gets to like 1/4 health, burn boss

Piecake

No, not that one. The boss where you have to fire the three lasers at the shield.

Ah, was thinking of SE's destroyer.

I actually like that fight a lot. Its pretty easy if you all hit the button at the same time and all go down to attack it. Dies pretty quick. If it reset it would be the worst one by far, so thank god it doesnt

I hate the 2 golem boss in SE. that one fucking sucks. itnersting mechanic, but its just annoying. That damn golem in CoE also sucks because he always picks me

Come to think of it, fuck golems

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Jeez, why do they bother with all these dramatics deaths in the personal story? Bunch of redshirts that are only named once. And most of the time it's off screen so it isn't like I learn of a crazy threat or anything.

jersoc

They shouldn't have started week long matchups with free transfers still going. The fact that they are still free and the tiers have become a mess is crazy. Many of the matchups in each tier are dominated by one side. SBI dominated last week. This means by day three of the matchup, people stop queuing.

It's entirely about population and coverage right now. You either win and have hours of queue time or you lose and have no ability to come back. So you either can't play or have no reason to play.

I still go in for like an hour here or there, but if we're heavily outmanned, it costs too much in repairs to stick with it.

well they could leave them free but implement what they said they were going to do. locks you out of wvw for a week. probably won't stop the problem, but band aid for now.

edit:looks like SBI is doing stuff now after all. I'm glad people aren't bending over and giving up.

etiolate

Banned
ibrqKTfwQxpyt.png

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My new ATI card is fucking up something fierce. I noticed a texture issue playing Borderlands at first but didn't have time to check it out. I don't really have the ability to play much of anything this week but I got a free hour and hopped on GW2 to find this...
Nice and muddy.

Load into game and this happens...
Faaantastic.

Restarted the game and stuff rendered, but textures were still muddy as hell. What on earth. Maybe ATI was a big mistake. :/

etiolate

Banned
Well, like most MMOs, you'll probably find good info in class specific subforums on the game's forum. Guru is better than the official forum in this matter.

I'd say:

Warrior is a warrior. This is a standard class, but the GW2 difference is that they make sure all classes can do a multitude of things and the Warrior is not an exception. Ranged Warriors are completely viable and support Warriors are as well. You have high armor, high health and high damage if you want. One of the better designed and more refined classes in the game.

Guardian is like your Paladin type. Another familiar class type. I find them to be very easy to play early on. Greatsword feels like ez mode while leveling. You can tear through three mobs and move on. Low health, but many buffs, healing and ways to support others. A little lacking in utility skill design, but very viable and strong in spite of recent nerfs to the class.

Thief is not going to feel like a typical rogue despite sharing some similarities. Most rogues aren't as range viable as a thief, and GW2 doesn't have any perma-stealth or long term stealth skill like other games have for their rogue classes. Instead, the thief moves in and out of battle, has a lot of escapes and quick attacks, teleports and short term stealth. The initiative system also makes the thief feel different from the other classes. It's the only resource-dependent class, while the others are limited by cooldowns instead. Thiefs have very high damage but low health.

Ranger is your Ranger/Hunter class. They have pets and their pets are a good portion of their build type. Pets offer utility, control and buffs instead of just being straight tank bots. Like all classes, the Ranger can succeed at melee or at range. A very decent class overall. Haven't played too much of it, but I also don't hear much complaints about the class. ANet loved the Ranger in the first Guild Wars, so I'm not surprised to see that they made sure to get it to a nice place in the sequel.

Necromancer is a tanky, dark magic class. They currently have the most issues, due to pet reliability and broken traits. They're trying to expand the amount of viable builds for the class and improve it overall. Also, when I say tanky, I do mean tanky. Necromancers have a second lifebar as their class mechanic called Death Shroud. They can spam conditions and survive for a long time. They can also go minion master build.

Mesmer is a more unique class to the Guild Wars universe. They were once counter-casters, but in this game they are more magical rogues. Again, does good stuff at melee and at range. Though seemingly unique, its hard to say a Mesmer is anything but a reskinned minion master. You are very dependent upon your illusions to survive, do damage and just plain play the game. Half of your weapon bar skills will be illusion summons no matter the weapon you use. Mastering a Mesmer is about micromanaging the illusions and shatters of those illusions. The Mesmer does have the ability to do good damage while having good survival because of the illusions. They tossle aggro around and confuse average players.

Engineers are also unique to this game and I think they're the most fun to play. Like the Elementalists, the Engineer doesn't weapon swap but accesses more skills at once overall. This is done through weapon kits in the Engineer's utility skill slots. The Engineer is very utility skill dependent overall. What utility skills you have determines your playstyle more than your weapon choice. The trade-off is that an Engineer can play mutliple roles and do many things without having to step out from combat and alter its build.

Elementalists are the Mage-types, but are the rare kind that use all elemental forces at once. Like mentioned, the Ele doesn't use weapon swap and instead has four elemental attunements that it switches between. The ele can then perform many functions and has good damage, healing, escape and control overall. They are on the low end of the health side, but like the Guardian, they can survive pretty well in spite of this.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So I posted in the best video game couples thread that Rytlock and Logan fit the description.

I mean really, their character arc felt more like Logan broke up with Rytlock so Rytlock is all angsty like an ex or something.

Ken

Is there a good practical overview of the classes and how they play?

From my experience:

Greatsword + Rifle Warrior: You're incredibly mobile, can be spec'd towards great DPS or great survivability. You also have some great support abillities in the form of team damage buffs, condition removal, and have some traits that improve your ability to revive friendlies from downed state. Easy to level. With the Greatsword, you feel really mobile zipping around from enemy to enemy and killing things rather quickly. If you're in trouble close up, switch to a rifle and shoot them from afar.

Guardian: Good survivability, good buffs, less mobile than a warrior IMO. You can still put out decent DPS, but your ability to crowd control, buff your team, and mitigate damage is amazing.

Necro: I'm currently running a conditionmancer where the goal is to throw a bunch of conditions (Damage over Time, among others) onto an enemy and then spread all of those conditions all the other surrounding enemies and watch as a bunch of numbers come out. You also have some decent support abilities using the staff, but I found that weapon's playstyle to be kind of boring and passive (you throw down long cooldown "marks" on the ground and when enemies step on it it goes off).

Ranger: Auto attack, zzz...wake up, oh it's dead. Move on. Effective (I guess) but I felt really bored quickly.

Mesmer: WOAH COOL I CAN MAKE CLONES AND SHOOT LASERS OUT OF MY GREATSWORD OH DEAR WHY AM I DYING TO THIS THIS WOLF 2 LEVELS BELOW ME OHGAHIANANFIA *deleted*

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I kinda hate playing Ranger due to the lack of decent AoE

I don't know if I buy that angle. That would mean that somebody actually liked Logan.

I guess Rytlock is desperate. In my guild people joke around that he's trying to "get attached" on my character, particularly with "my sire's treasure".

leng jai

The Mesmer isn't actually that bad for PvE once you get to the later problems. The issue most people seem to have is the speed it takes to kill mobs but it's virtually impossible to die unless you are pulling 4+ mobs at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom