• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hojaho

Any hunter players here?

My hunter is very near to hitting level 40, and of course that means a trait reset with the level 40 book.
So far I've been playing her using a shortbow/axe+horn combination with condition gear. The torch is probably better for condition damage, but I love the "summon birds to peck out your enemies eyes skill" and the buff at skill 5 is great in groups and wonderful for getting around a map with it's speed buff.

I use my shortbow when soloing and flank the enemy for the bleeds while my pet tanks. The axe is great against groups, in tight areas like caves and is great for group events to since you can tag so many mobs at once with it.

I played around with the greatsword, and while I loved the look of the skills I didn't find it as survivable. The longbow just felt too slow after using the shortbow for a while.

In my utility slots I have Signet of stone and Signet of the Wild, both to help me and my pet survive better, and Flame trap for close up AoE and as a combo field. My Elite is Entangle, my heal is Healing Spring.

The last few days/levels I find myself using the shortbow less and less; only to pull really. I'm up against more and more groups of enemies and the axe works better for that.

I went to the official forum and guru for a build, but the only thing being discussed there is crying and raging over the Crossfire change. Not really useful to me, since the ranger is my favorite of the classes I've tried for longer then 5 levels (my others being Guardian, Mesmer and Warrior).

So what do you guys do? Use the shortbow and focus on condition damage or use a longbow and power/precision? I mainly PvE and haven't done any dungeons yet, so it's mainly for soling/dynamic events.

I did all the way to 80 with Longbow/shortbow, going 20/30/5/0/15. Even with the crossfire nerf, I still like the shortbow, maybe it's because I'm too used to it to actually use another weapon !
Heal Spring, Quickening Zephyr (Or the signet to get some movespeed if I need to roam and just encounter normal mobs), Signet of the wild and signet of stone, Rampage as One for Elite.
I went for Power/prec/crit damage, focusing on stacking crit because there's a good synergy with your pets (Skirmishing -> Companion's Might/Carnivorous Appetite)
Marksmanship is mainly for Piercing Arrows. This is too good imho. :)
I started to use Sword/Horn instead of Longbow from time to time, it's fun. :)

I will definetly buy this game later on, don't have the cash atm and huge backlog. Will become my first MMO. Looks very attractive, and no monthly fees.

Btw, does your character get deleted due to inactivity?

Tankshell

Well, like most MMOs, you'll probably find good info in class specific subforums on the game's forum. Guru is better than the official forum in this matter.

I'd say:

Warrior is a warrior. This is a standard class, but the GW2 difference is that they make sure all classes can do a multitude of things and the Warrior is not an exception. Ranged Warriors are completely viable and support Warriors are as well. You have high armor, high health and high damage if you want. One of the better designed and more refined classes in the game.

Guardian is like your Paladin type. Another familiar class type. I find them to be very easy to play early on. Greatsword feels like ez mode while leveling. You can tear through three mobs and move on. Low health, but many buffs, healing and ways to support others. A little lacking in utility skill design, but very viable and strong in spite of recent nerfs to the class.

Thief is not going to feel like a typical rogue despite sharing some similarities. Most rogues aren't as range viable as a thief, and GW2 doesn't have any perma-stealth or long term stealth skill like other games have for their rogue classes. Instead, the thief moves in and out of battle, has a lot of escapes and quick attacks, teleports and short term stealth. The initiative system also makes the thief feel different from the other classes. It's the only resource-dependent class, while the others are limited by cooldowns instead. Thiefs have very high damage but low health.

Ranger is your Ranger/Hunter class. They have pets and their pets are a good portion of their build type. Pets offer utility, control and buffs instead of just being straight tank bots. Like all classes, the Ranger can succeed at melee or at range. A very decent class overall. Haven't played too much of it, but I also don't hear much complaints about the class. ANet loved the Ranger in the first Guild Wars, so I'm not surprised to see that they made sure to get it to a nice place in the sequel.

Necromancer is a tanky, dark magic class. They currently have the most issues, due to pet reliability and broken traits. They're trying to expand the amount of viable builds for the class and improve it overall. Also, when I say tanky, I do mean tanky. Necromancers have a second lifebar as their class mechanic called Death Shroud. They can spam conditions and survive for a long time. They can also go minion master build.

Mesmer is a more unique class to the Guild Wars universe. They were once counter-casters, but in this game they are more magical rogues. Again, does good stuff at melee and at range. Though seemingly unique, its hard to say a Mesmer is anything but a reskinned minion master. You are very dependent upon your illusions to survive, do damage and just plain play the game. Half of your weapon bar skills will be illusion summons no matter the weapon you use. Mastering a Mesmer is about micromanaging the illusions and shatters of those illusions. The Mesmer does have the ability to do good damage while having good survival because of the illusions. They tossle aggro around and confuse average players.

Engineers are also unique to this game and I think they're the most fun to play. Like the Elementalists, the Engineer doesn't weapon swap but accesses more skills at once overall. This is done through weapon kits in the Engineer's utility skill slots. The Engineer is very utility skill dependent overall. What utility skills you have determines your playstyle more than your weapon choice. The trade-off is that an Engineer can play mutliple roles and do many things without having to step out from combat and alter its build.

Elementalists are the Mage-types, but are the rare kind that use all elemental forces at once. Like mentioned, the Ele doesn't use weapon swap and instead has four elemental attunements that it switches between. The ele can then perform many functions and has good damage, healing, escape and control overall. They are on the low end of the health side, but like the Guardian, they can survive pretty well in spite of this.

Brilliant summary.

I love my warrior build currently, don't care if there is some sort of stigmata associated with the class, it's fun!

Retro

No, I mean something readable and fan written, not (and I don't mean this as terribly as it probably comes off) PR.

That's written by Jira, linking to unofficial play videos for each profession. Just because it looks good enough to be professional doesn't mean it was copied and pasted from a press kit.

Etiolate's write up did the trick anyways, so not a big deal.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ibrqKTfwQxpyt.png
Heh missed this. Good shit.

So my HD7950 is a fireball basically. It seemed to be working great last Friday but I had a free hour last night and I couldn't play anything without it skyrocketing. I'm going to try ditching PhysX and remove the 260 and see how much of an impact that makes but unless it's 20-25C of difference this is an RMA and the price I pay for abandoning NVIDIA. I should have known better; $40 (and Sleeping Dogs) is really not worth this much trouble, missing out on the best AA solution, and losing PhysX.

Nice insult to injury moment from Newegg just now:
We thought you'd like to know that your recent purchase contains one or more items currently nominated for Newegg's Customer Choice Award:

VGA XFX|FX-795A-TDJC HD7950 R

We'd like you to rate your satisfaction level for the nominated product(s) that you have purchased.
-_-

Piecake

So my HD7950 is a fireball basically. It seemed to be working great last Friday but I had a free hour last night and I couldn't play anything without it skyrocketing. I'm going to try ditching PhysX and remove the 260 and see how much of an impact that makes but unless it's 20-25C of difference this is an RMA and the price I pay for abandoning NVIDIA. I should have known better; $40 (and Sleeping Dogs) is really not worth this much trouble, missing out on the best AA solution, and losing PhysX.

Nice insult to injurt moment from Newegg just now:

-_-

would a better fan or heat sink fix your problem?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
would a better fan or heat sink fix your problem?
That's a good question actually. I should look into what options I could do to improve my case.

edit: What's weird is I only noticed there was anything wrong because of this texture loading issue. I noticed it first playing Borderlands. Character/weapon models are just all muddy and low-res (everything else seems to look okay). No idea what could be causing that but I'll definitely need to fix it if there's any chance of keeping the card...

Nice insult to injurt moment from Newegg just now:

-_-

It's probably the NVIDIA gods being angered at your betrayal.

Seriously, does your case have good airflow? I have a 6870 and it runs about 80c load and that's about what it should be and I have stock cooling, but I also have a jet engine of a case that keeps a lot of the internals cooler. You just don't want to go over 90c and you should be fine.

What temps were you running? Does having both cards there really cause airflow problems? Maybe get a cooler for one of them as they can drop temps 10-20c in my experience, not sure about coolers for the boxed in cards though.

Also, newest drivers installed with no residual NVIDIA stuff leftover? Seated properly? Usually if a card is overheating you'd see artifacts moreso than stuff like what you are seeing (not ruling it out, I've just never personally seen that happen with an overheated card).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's probably the NVIDIA gods being angered at your betrayal.

Seriously, does your case have good airflow? I have a 6870 and it runs about 80c load and that's about what it should be and I have stock cooling, but I also have a jet engine of a case that keeps a lot of the internals cooler. You just don't want to go over 90c and you should be fine.

What temps were you running? Does having both cards there really cause airflow problems? Maybe get a cooler for one of them as they can drop temps 10-20c in my experience, not sure about coolers for the boxed in cards though.
Once I started monitoring I saw it was hitting well above 90. Got MSI Afterburner and tried some aggressive fan profiling for both cards and still couldn't get it to stabilize below 85C- climbed from idle, an acceptable 60-65 (Florida, bleh) to 85 within 5 minutes of starting GW2, and hit 90 in a couple minutes more of chatting in-game, and still climbing.

I should see what case fan options I have and how much of an impact it could make. My CPU is watercooled and has no real issues at all even during the load from both cards.

Better case cooling would be great in general. Even if the card itself is a bust, I'd love to bring down the internals so I should poke around. It's a pretty nonstandard case sadly but there's probably room for one extra fan, and I could replace the stock ones.

Sigh, I just have no real personal time this week :'(

Sigh, I just have no real personal time this week :'(

Have one of your servants in your Florida orange juice mansion do it. (all people in Florida live in OJ mansions, right?)

But seriously, case fan flow and if you have another card right below it is probably the issue. It was always my worry with Xfire and SLI setups, it's why I avoided them.

Piecake

That's a good question actually. I should look into what options I could do to improve my case.

edit: What's weird is I only noticed there was anything wrong because of this texture loading issue. I noticed it first playing Borderlands. Character/weapon models are just all muddy and low-res (everything else seems to look okay). No idea what could be causing that but I'll definitely need to fix it if there's any chance of keeping the card...

Dont sound so surprised, Hawkian!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Dont sound so surprised, Hawkian!
It wasn't along the lines of "I can't believe that dumb asshole Piecake had a good idea" so much as "I didn't consider that the new card is too much for my existing case cooling in general."

I mean, I guess I figured the difference between two GTX 260s in SLI (distributed load) and one R7950 and one 260 wouldn't be that significant. I mean I guess I expected a higher stable load temperature, but not a 15+ degree difference :(
Have one of your servants in your Florida orange juice mansion do it. (all people in Florida live in OJ mansions, right?)

But seriously, case fan flow and if you have another card right below it is probably the issue. It was always my worry with Xfire and SLI setups, it's why I avoided them.
Well of course, and I had that concern with my original SLI setup, but I didn't think replacing one card in the equation could cause this nightmare :p

edit: If I yank out the 260 and the added caseflow is enough to get it to stablilze at ~80 on load without extra cooling I'll probably just keep the card and miss out on PhysX for a few years. Downsampling is a little annoying but the IQ/performance is pretty impressive and I have been more than happy with the card's performance. But this texture loading thing is absolute nonsense, and if I can't really rectify it within a night's worth of trying once I pull out the 260, definitely still going for the RMA.

nataku

Nothing more annoying than using phase retreat during a mission, getting ported below the terrain, and not having a WP in that mission to use to get out of it. I ended up having to log out, which cancels the mission, wasting nearly an hour of my time.

I'm really starting to get sick of staff mesmer. Wondering if I'm in an area that's going to port me blow the terrain every time I use a skill really ruins the weapon.

Deitus

Has there been any news if Guild Wars 2 is ever coming to Steam?

Since it's not on Steam yet, I don't see any reason to believe it will ever be added. Possibly if Steam changed its policies on microtransactions, but I don't see that happening.

Trey

Pokemon has severely cut into my GW2 time. I need to hurry up and get my Pokefix so I can get quality time with GW2 before Halo 4 holds me hostage for the rest of the year.

Vossler

GW2 is still pretty much what I'm playing. I got into a little bit of Dishonored, and like it quite a bit, but I put so much time into GW1, and the Halloween Event is starting next week....GW2 is going to consume my limited gaming time for a while yet.

So in our AC run last night, I noticed a move and not sure who/what it does, maybe it's a trait? Basically when I was getting revived there was a dome of invisibility, what is that? (forgot to ask yesterday)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So in our AC run last night, I noticed a move and not sure who/what it does, maybe it's a trait? Basically when I was getting revived there was a dome of invisibility, what is that? (forgot to ask yesterday)
Invisibility, like you both were stealthed? Or was there actually a dome effect?

Could have been a coincidence- there's a mesmer trait for a Feedback dome on revive, and any number of options (Veil, Mass Invis, a Thief's Shadow Refuge) for AOE stealth.

Invisibility, like you both were stealthed? Or was there actually a dome effect?

Could have been a coincidence- there's a mesmer trait for a Feedback dome on revive, and any number of options (Veil, Mass Invis, a Thief's Shadow Refuge) for AOE stealth.

I think it was a dome as I was getting revived. Is there a "stealth all around you while healing" trait or something? Might have been coincidence also but I think both of us were stealthed and teh dome had the same affect as we did.

So a dome was laid down, does that make the rest of you in the dome look stealthed?

dot

You weren't part of our 4 hour (lol) AC exp run last night were you? I don't really know who's who on GAF except jersoc.

That was a frustrating yet oddly fun experience...

And what you're talking about is definitely Shadow Refuge like others have said.

etiolate

Banned
I think I finally settled on a look for now, exotics and gear wise. I first went with this setup:

But then I replaced the Whispers design chest with the Asuran Cult Armor Tier 1 chest.

Gives it a bit more of the tech-mage-knight look I'm going for, though I did love the little golden insignia on the Whispers chest. It also allowed me to get the stats I want via crafting. The Whispers was a transmuted Lyssa Temple exotic with +precision +healing and + vitality, which is a bit odd assortment of stats for a Mesmer outside of the precision. I made a Carrion Exalted Chest because I needed to up my condition damage a little and I wanted to keep my vitality up. It also pushed my power to over the 1800 sweet spot.

I may eventually go for the Arah chestpiece, but that's a ways down the line.

Gonna be a negative nancy for once.

Anyone else just sick and tired of sPvP's incredible number of faults?

I'm talking 10k+ backstab crits, heavily unbalanced (as in 500-100) matches, unbreakable bunker builds, bugs out the arse, the same four maps ad nauseum, one single game mode, the freakin' insta-kill trebuchet, sharks, blah-blah-blah...

For all of Anet's pining about the game being a major 'e-sport' and all, the game's core PvP play is really freakin' terrible. The action is frequently difficult to read (a HUGE no-no for competitive play), there are super-hard counters being thrown all over the place, players getting people up from downed state basically for free thanks to stability and various area denial abilities, it's just... it's something, but it's not fun.

All this and they're gearing up for paid tournaments very soon, when the core game just doesn't feel up to par at all.

Maybe I'm just spoiled with LoL's years of balance and playability tweaks, but right now I think I'd much rather play it to get my PvP fix...

Complistic

I'm talking 10k+ backstab crits, heavily unbalanced (as in 500-100) matches, unbreakable bunker builds, bugs out the arse, the same four maps ad nauseum, one single game mode, the freakin' insta-kill trebuchet, sharks, blah-blah-blah...

For all of Anet's pining about the game being a major 'e-sport' and all, the game's core PvP play is really freakin' terrible. The action is frequently difficult to read (a HUGE no-no for competitive play), there are super-hard counters being thrown all over the place, players getting people up from downed state basically for free thanks to stability and various area denial abilities, it's just... it's something, but it's not fun.

All this and they're gearing up for paid tournaments very soon, when the core game just doesn't feel up to par at all.

Maybe I'm just spoiled with LoL's years of balance and playability tweaks, but right now I think I'd much rather play it to get my PvP fix...

It's got issues but I'm still having a lot of fun with it. Anet does (or did in GW1) an excellent job of stamping out builds that are just unfair.

Thiefs need a few of their traits balanced badly. When I join a game and half the players are thiefs you know you've got an issue.

etiolate

Banned

It's not the core spvp that's problematic, it's the game mode they stubbornly stuck with. Things will improve with the paid tournaments because that will mean less pub stomping in free tournies. I'm hoping custom rented servers create new rulesets and freshen up the experience.

The balance is pretty good but needs to be much better. It's still miles ahead of other MMOs, but not to the point of the first Guild Wars. They need to align downed state abilities to be more even across classes or just remove downed state from spvp.

Ashodin

I wouldn't be surprised if Shadow of the Mad King adds a TON of changes to sPVP and classes in general.

"Anyone else just sick and tired of sPvP's incredible number of faults?"

It's been awful since the BWEs and I'm not sure anything short of an entire combat overhaul could improve it. It's busted to the core. I *love* Battleground/Arena PVP in MMOs but I can't stomach sPvP whatsoever.

etiolate

Banned
"Anyone else just sick and tired of sPvP's incredible number of faults?"

It's been awful since the BWEs and I'm not sure anything short of an entire combat overhaul could improve it. It's busted to the core. I *love* Battleground/Arena PVP in MMOs but I can't stomach sPvP whatsoever.

The combat is not in need of an overhaul. The combat is one of the game's best achievements. It's just the friggin cap point mode and only four maps.

I havent bothered with sPvP since the launch when i discovered you couldnt get free 8 slt bags as a reward anymore

You can still get those -- I've been getting a bunch of 8- and 10-slot bags as rewards from PvP chests.

So I take it in ranged Ranger has really no true aoe outside of bounce axe?

There's also Barrage with the longbow, and traps (if you take the ground targeting trait), but yeah, there aren't a lot of great AoE options.

jersoc

so since guild chat is really hard to fully express developed thoughts I'd figure I'd write a few things about wvw. Some stuff is probably not ideal, but whatever. I think everyone can see it's going to take anet to step in and fundamentally change some aspects about wvw.

I think we all can agree on server hopping being a real issue, but not a main one. Pretty simple fix to do.

Obviously the main problem is there is currently a real lack of come back method. People log on, look at the pie, see they have jack shit and leave it at that. Even trying to do something is futile because there's probably a handful of people in wvw. 2v1 doesn't work because there's incentive to actually do it and how the fuck do you logistically plan it anyways?

some possible solutions:
-Smaller groups can make an impact via other methods. Possibly dynamic events, a dungeon focused on pvp competition. can sabotage each other instance, first to reach a goal can set traps, stuff like that. Gain points for the realm.

-Take the npc idea further. When under manned you can do quests to gain help of npc allies to aid in defending.

-Supply camps are a great thing for smaller groups to take. Not so much to hold. Add the ability to build walls creating a choke points. I think camps are far too easily taken as it is. They are very hard to hold if 2:1 or more. Again, this can be taken further. An event pops up requiring wood to build the fences. Problem? Only 1 lumber camp on the map. Each side battles it out there

Commanders are useless. Actually no, the people who BUY commanders are useless. There are good ones that actually try to organize with others, but that's few and far. Most have it because they want to show off 100g or their epeen. I don't know.

-Rate your commander. Probably really abusive. maybe a better idea is to reward your commander. could also be abusive.

-Commander can give tasks, upon completion group is awarded karma. Abusive. But could allow groups to actually want to do something they may otherwise feel is useless. Sure it may help the realm, but it doesn't help them directly. We want sweet, sweet gold and karma not a pat on the back. Plus, we don't even get that.

People seem to only listen to commanders thinking they somehow earned it. This creates a pretty big problem in that people tend to flock to them if there's no other directions or clear battles being fought. 100g is nothing and it should be earned via wvw itself. You can buy commander w/o ever stepping foot into wvw. That's a problem. It should require X amount of hours along with X amount badges and gold as well.

You're welcome anet.

edit:while i'm asking for stuff. put the authenicator cursor defaulted to the text field please. so many times i type it out only to realize the cursor was not in focus on the box. thanks

etiolate

Banned
It'd be nice if you could be a Commander of something. Like a field commander would be what all commanders are now, a zerg dot to follow, but then you could also be Commander of Garrisons and be in charge of defending a garrison and the area around it. This would signal to people what/why you're doing. Being a Commander of BLANK would also give bonuses. If you're a Commander of Keeps then people contributing supply to repairing and building at a keep in your vicinity will commit +1 supply build beyond their current 10 supply limit.

Commander book is just stupid in and of itself. Should just have private raid groups available and not behind some exorbitant pay wall. Base functionality.

They could probably stand to implement some kind of rank system that allows one to purchase special gear skins. They also need to reitemize WvW gear, because it absolutely blows.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Shortbow's Poison Volley is also a cone AoE. The ground targeting for traps is in Skirmishing (Trapper's Expertise).

Ah cool, it's the trait I've been building up.

Lately I've been making my characters besides my charr engineer to be at 40's. They are three more charrs, two norns, and one sylvari.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom