• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkSloth

Piercing arrow trait is also worth noting. It'll hit multiple enemies if you line them up. It is probably decent damage on multiple enemies since its a constant attribute.

Tankshell

Not long now 'till the Halloween festivities begin guys! We should do a big Gaf meetup all dressed in halloween outfits =0)

*EDIT - (in game I mean). lol.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My rig better be back in flawless gaming order by the time that Halloween stuff drops, or the Mad King will not be the most frightening presence around these parts.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My new graphics card is massively overheating (and having a texture loading issue that I can't determine is related yet). Need to try a variety of things to get it in working order but I have very little personal time until the 23rd.

Commanders are useless. Actually no, the people who BUY commanders are useless. There are good ones that actually try to organize with others, but that's few and far. Most have it because they want to show off 100g or their epeen. I don't know.

-Rate your commander. Probably really abusive. maybe a better idea is to reward your commander. could also be abusive.

I disagree. On SBI there are some strong commanders like Cohh, Jeb(d?) and some others that are routinely setting up strategic points.

I'm not saying there aren't bad ones, but fortunately I haven't had the experience of really dealing with them.

I completely agree on the rank itself being trivial. Maybe even have a guild contract much like starting a guild in WoW where you had to get signatures. 30-40 signatures and you can purchase it or something.

They should have Commander in Training, and Commander IMO. Training is purchased when you have enough endorsements (still abuseable but better than anybody at this point) and then after certain WvW achievements you become an actual Commander (with of course maybe another paywall or something).

I've been lucky I guess as most of the Comms I've had experience with have been pretty decent.

I also agree with Tekno in that you should just be able to start raid groups and have party members you can mark on the map so teams can function easier. Seems like a big oversight when it comes to "massive WvW" to not include this basic function of communication and strategy.

Should also be able to change the color of your commander icon so you can have multiple groups easily seen. Then if you start a raid with that color commander your map icon becomes that color so you can see where your team is and where other teams are.

Vossler

Man, just yesterday I was messing around with my 400 leatherworker, seeing which runes could possibly make money. I was low on cash at the time, and noticed that the Superior rune of Ice was the cheapest to make. So, I bought one Icy Lonestone (mispelling on ANET's part) for about 8s. Now they are selling near 40s, all thanks to finding Volcanus.......Should've bought more. Anyone know if you can salvage runes and possibly get the lodestones? Seems like it should work in theory.....

Kingbrave

My new graphics card is massively overheating (and having a texture loading issue that I can't determine is related yet). Need to try a variety of things to get it in working order but I have very little personal time until the 23rd.

that sucks..a bunch of my fun is trying to roleplay eating you....

I think we all can agree on server hopping being a real issue, but not a main one. Pretty simple fix to do.

The "lock people out of WvW for a week after they transfer" idea seems so simple and elegant that it baffles me that they haven't done it yet. Maybe they think it will hurt too many players who are server hopping for legitimate reasons.

Obviously the main problem is there is currently a real lack of come back method. People log on, look at the pie, see they have jack shit and leave it at that. Even trying to do something is futile because there's probably a handful of people in wvw. 2v1 doesn't work because there's incentive to actually do it and how the fuck do you logistically plan it anyways?

IMO they need to attack this from two (and maybe three) fronts:

1) Player motivation. If you're getting stomped, WvW can be a net loss since your repair bills will outweigh any gains you make. The current outmanned buff doesn't really solve this.

Getting rid of repair bills in WvW would help. One thing I'd like to see is increased armor damage (say, each death = one broken armor piece) but free repairs. This would make it easier for a small group to thin out a zerg by forcing them to go back for repairs more often. Small groups who get wiped would be unaffected (since they're respawning anyway), but it would slow the momentum of zergs because the consequences of letting people die and get rezzed after the skirmish would be much higher.

If they want to stick with the current "outmanned" concept, I'd suggest reworking it into an "outplayed" buff as well (so it also applies when your server holds <2-3 points on a map). And it needs to be massively increased, to the point where retaking that first tower/keep becomes the most lucrative goal for your server, moreso than DE farming/dragon fights/etc. If players have more attractive rewards elsewhere, they're not going to hop into WvW to piss away money on repair bills. It would also be cool if these were periodically broadcast into the PvE game -- "Your server needs your help establishing a foothold in X Borderlands! Retake Bluelake Tower to earn Y reward!"

2) Make 2v1s viable. It seems like this was a big part of Anet's plan to keep things from getting too one-sided. But in practice it turns into a sort of prisoner's dilemma where the two losing servers are better off squabbling between each other, because if one of them turns their attention to the #1 server, they're opening themselves up for attack from the other underdog. On top of that, there's no in-game mechanism to facilitate cooperation, so players tend to kill all enemies on sight just to be safe. Something as simple as increased karma/gold/badge prizes could be used to nudge players into pressuring the dominant server.

And finally (maybe just as a last resort),
3) Meaningful in-game mechanisms to benefit the underdog teams. Based on the current state of the outmanned buff, it seems Anet wants to avoid giving the underdogs gameplay advantages, presumably to keep the rules fair and prevent the Mario Kart syndrome where it's too advantageous to be in last place. But the current rules swing too far in the other direction -- dominating a map gives too many advantages (orbs, increased supply, map control) so large comebacks are rare to nonexistent. This is why "night capping" is such a problem imo, because taking a whole map at night swings the momentum dramatically more than is ever realistically possible during peak hours, so it's often irrecoverable even with a good peak hour team.

I think there are some creative ways to attack this without falling back on "the losers get extra HP/damage". One cool suggestion I read was to have a neutral boss NPC that can show up to harass a server if it becomes too dominant, which would force them to pull back and fight it before it drains their supply (or eventually destroys upgrades if they ignore it too long). Other systems like that could provide more opportunities for comebacks, without being demoralizing for the leading server.

Anyway, I don't want to make it sound like I'm crapping on WvW too much here. It's still a ton of fun when it works, I just hope they can work out a solution to all the one-sided blowouts.

I dunno, zerging seems to be a deciding factor more than gear.

Of course, but you will find yourself not in the zerg moreso than not (depending on playstyle I guess). Plus I've stopped rezzing people who are naked as I think others have also, but YMMV.

I say go for it, at least do it that way until you understand what's going on and enjoy it enough to invest in it.

Also, the "zerg" is mainly when it's against off hours crews. When it's "zerg vs zerg" then it's a lot more of a battlefield back and forth.

etiolate

Banned
Zerg vs Zerg is more tactical than the name implies. Sometimes its two large forces pushing each other back and forth while recovering on their backside if the third server tries to sneak in.

It's the aimless zerg or the zerg vs keep door that is kinda bleh.

scosher

I'd like to see two additions at the very least to WvW:

1) If your server is outnumbered or losing by a significant margin (ie. down at least 30k), then the cost of all Siege Weapon Blueprints should be reduced by a scaling percentage. In addition, each player on the losing/outnumbered server can carry more supplies, up to a maximum of say 20 or 25. This could help with both "night capping" issues and work as a comeback mechanic.

2) Server leaderboards and rankings. When people speak of end-game, it's not necessarily just about raiding or an endless loot grind. When it comes down to it, what really gets people hooked in any MMO's end-game is the competitive aspect -- whether that's PvP, PvE server firsts, or even just competing on DPS meters within your own guild.

So in that respect, I think ArenaNet needs to include in their UI a way for players to see server rankings, their W-L record, as well as say the top 5 or 10 contributing guilds for each server. Something as simple as that will get more people to compete in WvW, and build up server and guild community. Of course, this should only be done once server transfers are not free, otherwise everyone will flock to the top servers.

jersoc

WvW is one of those things that will evolve over time. We just need to give it time to evolve.

except not. There is a huge problem that anet will need to fix. I'm not sure why you think otherwise. You state in this guild chat all the time. Why do you think this? Do you see the pie currently? Do you think this problem will just vanish over night when everyone all at once gets something to click?

No. There is a problem deeper than "time to evolve".

Zerg vs Zerg is more tactical than the name implies. Sometimes its two large forces pushing each other back and forth while recovering on their backside if the third server tries to sneak in.

It's the aimless zerg or the zerg vs keep door that is kinda bleh.

Exactly, 'zerg' gets thrown around without the actual meaning being thought about. If it's a large scale offensive, it's not a 'zerg' ... it's just a lot of people making a play. But there are definitely 'zergs' out there, mainly when there is no direction. I have to hand it to SBI though, they follow directions fairly well where as reading some of the other matchups on the official forums it seems that other servers aren't as lucky.

I really like WvW but there are definitely issues.

darkwing

Exactly, 'zerg' gets thrown around without the actual meaning being thought about. If it's a large scale offensive, it's not a 'zerg' ... it's just a lot of people making a play. But there are definitely 'zergs' out there, mainly when there is no direction. I have to hand it to SBI though, they follow directions fairly well where as reading some of the other matchups on the official forums it seems that other servers aren't as lucky.

I really like WvW but there are definitely issues.

there's nothing like a good flanking, great stuff in SBI earlier, until people had to sleep etc. :|

Deitus

except not. There is a huge problem that anet will need to fix. I'm not sure why you think otherwise. You state in this guild chat all the time. Why do you think this? Do you see the pie currently? Do you think this problem will just vanish over night when everyone all at once gets something to click?

No. There is a problem deeper than "time to evolve".

I took Ashodin's post to mean that ArenaNet will continue to improve WvW as time passes, and more of the problems with the current implementation come to light. Obviously there are issues that need to be fixed, but they aren't going to be fixed overnight.

I dunno, zerging seems to be a deciding factor more than gear.

Right now I think it's more about numbers than zerging or gear. If one server is fielding 100 people and the other servers are fielding 20, those servers aren't going to be able to hold onto much ground, much less take anything new. Which is why they need more incentives for servers to always be fielding a full team, and to minimize the damage when a server can't.

2) Server leaderboards and rankings.

They post a limited version of this on the official forums. It's cool to see, but I'm not sure how much it solves. The general attitude I see is that most players aren't super concerned with the overall server rankings or being the #1 server, they're more interested in their rank relative to their two current competitors. And most players are unhappy with the frequency of 1-way blowouts, which are happening across all tiers.

I took Ashodin's post to mean that ArenaNet will continue to improve WvW as time passes, and more of the problems with the current implementation come to light. Obviously there are issues that need to be fixed, but they aren't going to be fixed overnight.

True, but I think it's fair to be concerned, since these issues have been pretty clear since it moved to the 1-week format. And lately ArenaNet's responses have been along the lines of "deal with it" or minor changes that don't really fix anything (or introduce more bugs to the mode, but that's a different discussion).

True, but I think it's fair to be concerned, since these issues have been pretty clear since it moved to the 1-week format. And lately ArenaNet's responses have been along the lines of "deal with it" or minor changes that don't really fix anything (or introduce more bugs to the mode, but that's a different discussion).

Yeah, I'm not really liking the lack of communication. It's like we don't even know if they are looking into it. Much like the FOV issue where the dev basically said "deal with it".

etiolate

Banned
They do need to make a new statement about WvWvW. Their original statement was bad, and they then backtracked a little, but have kept silent as the situation has worsened. At the least, they need to address the server transfer issue and offer an explanation.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
this will make people happy :p

Will you ever implement or even consider a FoV slider?

[&#8211;]ArenaNetBraedenArenaNet Programmer 3 hours ago
We've heard players loud and clear on this one. But we're not prepared to answer yet because we just convened a team to investigate, on Monday in fact, and we want to give them time to investigate. For example, there may be a bug affecting FoV calculations in widescreen resolutions. We want to know what's a bug and what's by design before we change the design.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/11mz4k/i_am_a_programmer_for_guild_wars_2_amaa/

Katoki

Maybe that'll help against the rocks those wurms spit up at me since they're much taller than my screen allows me to see without making an effort to move the camera to look up.

They do need to make a new statement about WvWvW. Their original statement was bad, and they then backtracked a little, but have kept silent as the situation has worsened. At the least, they need to address the server transfer issue and offer an explanation.

There was this one post by them saying that they don't announce anything anymore unless they know it's for sure now due to the potential backlash by the community. I'm too lazy to go find it, but I know I've seen it.

Scum

I've been away from the game for a while because of work and whatnot. Will try to get back on soon enough. Must get to 80!

Seriously, how could anyone look at the matches here and say this is competitive. Getting rid of orbs giving buffs is the easiest and most solution solution they could do. It's a shitty mechanic period.

Katoki

At least IoJ went up two ranks and we won't get stuck with JQQ and HoD again. Hopefully that will give JQQ something to chew on this time so we actually have a chance here.

That and maybe HoD will get to actually play in the next rotation.

Core problems with WvW at the moment:

1) Rendering players
2) Rendering Players
3) Rendering players
100) Rendering players
101) Queues need to function properly
102) No raid groups
103) No reason for losing teams to WvW
104) Invader gear is trash
105) Not much incentive for most people to WvW past getting monthly achievements, this somewhat ties back to #103
106) Map variety

"I dunno, zerging seems to be a deciding factor more than gear."

If your only WvW experience is running around solo with the big pug zerg, then yes, it will seem that way.

There was this one post by them saying that they don't announce anything anymore unless they know it's for sure now due to the potential backlash by the community. I'm too lazy to go find it, but I know I've seen it.

I kind of don't blame them for taking that approach, but at the same time it seems to just generate more speculation and conspiracy theories, so I'm not sure how much it helps.

I'm interested in seeing what the Halloween update brings though.

Seriously, how could anyone look at the matches here and say this is competitive. Getting rid of orbs giving buffs is the easiest and most solution solution they could do. It's a shitty mechanic period.

I think they're a cool idea, but the current implementation lends itself too well to steamrolling. The buffs might work if it was easier for them to change hands, but right now it's too easy for the dominant server to hold them.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well, I didn't kill my computer, and it sure is fuck is quieter than it's been in years with a single GPU in there... lol

Now for some temp testing...

Wallach

Core problems with WvW at the moment:

1) Rendering players
2) Rendering Players
3) Rendering players
100) Rendering players
101) Queues need to function properly
102) No raid groups
103) No reason for losing teams to WvW
104) Invader gear is trash
105) Not much incentive for most people to WvW past getting monthly achievements, this somewhat ties back to #103
106) Map variety

Don't forget the free, unrestricted transfers completely shitting on the community/server side of WvW for reasons that interact with 103/105.

Deitus

Man, that's a real shame. One of the greatest things in the beta was how vocal ArenaNet was about all of the things that were missing/lacking/not yet implemented in the game, which ones were being worked on, and which ones would be implemented by the next beta weekend. I understand a released product is a very different thing from one in beta, but it's a shame to see them do a full 180 on that policy.

Oh man, those lower tier matchups. Why can't we have matches like that? All servers are within 100k points of each other, and the server in the lead is not also the one with the most captured at this moment... actual competion. Even if we still lost every week, I'd settle for a match where the outcome wasn't entirely decided in the first day, and there was actually a chance to recover from a disadvantage.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Soooo took out the GTX 260 (byebye PhysX for now). Temps are much much better...

Stabilizing at 72C degrees and only 53% fan speed on load, and even dipping below 70 on load; awesome. I think the extra heat from the 260 was pretty significant but it was also totally blocking the Ghost cooler on the 7950 complete, which made it just go nuts.

These temps are a little bit better than I got with my SLI 260s as well, which I'm thrilled about.

HOWEVER, I'm still getting the shitty shitty texture issue, so I'm not out of the woods yet. It's so bizarre. Only on player/gun models from the appearance of things.

Of course, the gods knew that this would be the only free 1.5 hours of gaming time I might have this week, so I am experiencing crippling internet issues (speedtest.net says I am getting .27mbps download, woo) and can't even successfully upload a 150k image to show you, let alone do SE if/when I fix it. :(

Post dem screens so we can see what the issue is. Maybe even stroll on over to the "I Need a new PC" thread. Those guys are extremely helpful and know their shit.

MutFox

Banned
Is there still room on the NeoGAF guild?
Was thinking of moving to Stormbluff Isle. (That's where you guys are right?)

The current server I'm on, all the guilds left due to free server transfers...

Ashodin

Soooo took out the GTX 260 (byebye PhysX for now). Temps are much much better...

Stabilizing at 72C degrees and only 53% fan speed on load, and even dipping below 70 on load; awesome. I think the extra heat from the 260 was pretty significant but it was also totally blocking the Ghost cooler on the 7950 complete, which made it just go nuts.

These temps are a little bit better than I got with my SLI 260s as well, which I'm thrilled about.

HOWEVER, I'm still getting the shitty shitty texture issue, so I'm not out of the woods yet. It's so bizarre. Only on player/gun models from the appearance of things.

Of course, the gods knew that this would be the only free 1.5 hours of gaming time I might have this week, so I am experiencing crippling internet issues (speedtest.net says I am getting .27mbps download, woo) and can't even successfully upload a 150k image to show you, let alone do SE if/when I fix it. :(

Wow man. I hope your shit gets fixed soon.

Retro

Is there still room on the NeoGAF guild?
Was thinking of moving to Stormbluff Isle. (That's where you guys are right?)

The current server I'm on, all the guilds left due to free server transfers...

Yes, we're at 455 out of 500 or so and are on SBI. Since the server can sometimes be listed as full, you might want to try it later at night when the population is lower.

"Don't forget the free, unrestricted transfers completely shitting on the community/server side of WvW for reasons that interact with 103/105."

Yeah, they should've ended free transfers (or actually not allow people to join servers that are "full," at any time of the day) the very first week. But as you said, people transferring servers are a symptom of a greater problem.

Piecake

That is really weird that it was working great for you and then bam, shitty textures. Do you think your video card got fried or something? Thats about the only explanation I can come up with due to my extremely limited computer know-how. Would make sense if your video card's fan was being completely blocked though :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom