• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Post dem screens so we can see what the issue is. Maybe even stroll on over to the "I Need a new PC" thread. Those guys are extremely helpful and know their shit.
I'm trying, but comcast is too busy boning me up the ass for me to get anything done :'(

Sounds like some of his transistors on his video card got melted from the heat. Sucks dude.
Possible, but unlikely. An uncommon trick for reviving non-functional, out of warranty, video cards is baking them at about 195C (385F) to melt and reset broken transistors, connections, etc.

In other words, it'd have to reach near 190C to melt anything, and I doubt his card passed 100C.

I'm trying, but comcast is too busy boning me up the ass for me to get anything done :'(
Using comcrap as your ISP? smh

Core problems with WvW at the moment:

1) Rendering players
2) Rendering Players
3) Rendering players
100) Rendering players
Anet recently had a public Q&A, and this was asked. I've pasted some of the response, taken from gw2guru:

"In the situation where the local population density is relatively low, when another character comes in reporting range of your character the server sends a notification to your client with all of the data that it will need to track and render that character. That includes appearance data, race, gender, profession, weapon sets, etc. etc. It's an easy model to think about and works well, until the local population density goes up. When there are a lot of characters in reporting range we start to get into a situation where, under the current system, there's an overwhelming amount of data to send to the client (hello n-squared problem!) - after all, resources like client CPU/Memory/etc. and bandwidth are finite. In order to deal with this situation we elected to change the criteria for reporting characters slightly. Rather than just using a fixed range we instead also limit reporting to the closest N characters. By doing this we help to ensure that we're not overwhelming the available bandwidth and, since clients clearly can't draw or process characters they don't know about, we get some savings on client performance "for free". This works out pretty well in PvE and doesn't seem, at least as far as I can tell, to have a detrimental impact on gameplay.

Unfortunately in WvW, where large battles are quite common, we find that players are bumping into these limits quite often and the effect has a real, and unfortunate, impact on the gameplay experience. Do I like the state that it's currently in? No, honestly I don't. WvW has been my baby (though not mine alone!) for quite a while now and I really want to see EPIC battles play out in all of their glory. If there was a switch I could flip to just make this work then I would have flipped the hell out of it by now, believe me. However, when you're dealing with resource utilization issues like this there are rarely any easy answers. I'm currently, actively looking into what exactly our options are in this regard. The fix is likely to be large-ish in scope, with changes on both the client and server, but we have some ideas that look like they may work out. So, will it get better? I can't make any promises because we're still experimenting and building new tech, but as a person who works on this every day I certainly believe that it can and will do everything in my power to make that happen."

"Anet recently had a public Q&A, and this was asked. I've pasted some of the response, taken from gw2guru:"

I can't see how they didn't run into this problem during the X amount of years they've been developing and iterating WvW. Why didn't they realized this would be an issue during the years they were working on it? I mean, I know unforeseen shit happens in software development every single day, but this seems like something they should've encountered very early on?

I get that some of the rendering issue is an engine limitation, but it seems to have gotten worse in recent patches. Maybe it's just placebo, or maybe I've been getting involved with more large-scale battles.

The first game sometimes drew other players in generic armor until their real armor loaded... I wonder why they're not still doing that?

There also seems to be an associated bug that causes the client to stop rendering players even when there's no one around. I was playing with a guildie the other night and after one large-scale fight he stopped being able to see anyone, including NPCs, until he relogged. Later on, the two of us were ambushed in a supply camp by a group of 5-6 enemies that he could see but I couldn't, and there were no other visible players (ally or enemy) in sight.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Why not just limit WvW from recent transferees? Granted it'd be shitty if you're collecting maps, but still.

"yup, you can transfer every 24H, and to me the non rendering bug happened during the last patch"

The rendering issue is not a recent thing, it's been around for a *while*.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Possible, but unlikely. An uncommon trick for reviving non-functional, out of warranty, video cards is baking them at about 195C (385F) to melt and reset broken transistors, connections, etc.

In other words, it'd have to reach near 190C to melt anything, and I doubt his card passed 100C.
I thought as much; I don't believe I did ever break 100C even during my extended play session (my initial load test showed stable temperatures). Still, something could be wrong with the card.

Using comcrap as your ISP? smh
Please don't get me started. They have a monopoly in my area. AT&T and Verizon both only provide basic access (no uverse/FiOS) to my development, and I have no choice but to endure the utter crap that is comcast for the forseeable future.

Anyway looks like access is back... just a 4 hour interruption no biggie :p

Here's what I'm talking about...
icYIP8PjErvIw.png

Hello fuglytown. Truly bizarre in that it only occurs with player models/gun models in BL2, etc. What on Earth.

Did a full driver uninstall and refresh, and...

wait
ivaDIBeqVz27a.png

yes, yes, YESSSSS....

Holding firm at 70C. AW YEAH. BACK IN BUSINESS

...and now to go to bed, and probably not get a chance to play anything again at all until late in the weekend or after. Fuck this week so much :'(

etiolate

Banned
"Anet recently had a public Q&A, and this was asked. I've pasted some of the response, taken from gw2guru:"

I can't see how they didn't run into this problem during the X amount of years they've been developing and iterating WvW. Why didn't they realized this would be an issue during the years they were working on it? I mean, I know unforeseen shit happens in software development every single day, but this seems like something they should've encountered very early on?

I think the rendering problem may be caused by something they implemented during the betas to increase the amount of players in WvWvW. I think at one point it was just 100 per side and got increased. I think the rendering issue aka "culling" is something they put in to lighten the load and increase pop per side.

Not 100% sure on that, but I recall hearing that the rendering is due to some trick they use to allow large size of people.

What that means for the news that more people will be able to play "concurrently" in WvWvW, I dunno.

I get that some of the rendering issue is an engine limitation, but it seems to have gotten worse in recent patches. Maybe it's just placebo, or maybe I've been getting involved with more large-scale battles.

It's probably always been there, but you see it more often now because the playerbase became aware of it and started using it as a tactic. The whole mass portal trick was designed to trigger the culling effect by making your force is too large and too sudden for the game to render. Boom, invisible army for you.

jersoc

I took Ashodin's post to mean that ArenaNet will continue to improve WvW as time passes, and more of the problems with the current implementation come to light. Obviously there are issues that need to be fixed, but they aren't going to be fixed overnight.

well sure, but there's no reason to talk about things. It seems like a really brush off post to me, which just rubbed me wrong.

jersoc

it honestly feels like they changed something from beta to launch. I don't really remember the issue being as bad it is. Honestly, player culling needs to be priority 1 right now for wvw. It's one of the main reasons I don't really play. I'm sick of seeing 4 players only to suddenly instant die and see 40.

Also, wvw really could be so much more than player vs door.

edit: ah ok, saw etiolate's post. I only played wvw a few times in early beta cause of the Q issue. I probably didn't play when they put this culling in.

Very cool discussion; http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/11mz4k/i_am_a_programmer_for_guild_wars_2_amaa/

The issues with invisible players in WvW comes down to a couple of factors. One is to do with when the servers notify any given client about other characters in the game (I'll call this reporting/culling) and the other deals with the time it takes the client to present the character on the screen after it has received that notification (I'll call this asset load).
The asset load issue is all about how quickly the client can show you something it knows it should show you. We're looking in to ways that we can make that process faster, but it's always going to take non-zero time. However, that's not where the bulk of the invisible players come from. For that we have to look at the reporting/culling side of things.
In the situation where the local population density is relatively low, when another character comes in reporting range of your character the server sends a notification to your client with all of the data that it will need to track and render that character. That includes appearance data, race, gender, profession, weapon sets, etc. etc. It's an easy model to think about and works well, until the local population density goes up. When there are a lot of characters in reporting range we start to get into a situation where, under the current system, there's an overwhelming amount of data to send to the client (hello n-squared problem!) - after all, resources like client CPU/Memory/etc. and bandwidth are finite. In order to deal with this situation we elected to change the criteria for reporting characters slightly. Rather than just using a fixed range we instead also limit reporting to the closest N characters. By doing this we help to ensure that we're not overwhelming the available bandwidth and, since clients clearly can't draw or process characters they don't know about, we get some savings on client performance "for free". This works out pretty well in PvE and doesn't seem, at least as far as I can tell, to have a detrimental impact on gameplay.
Unfortunately in WvW, where large battles are quite common, we find that players are bumping into these limits quite often and the effect has a real, and unfortunate, impact on the gameplay experience. Do I like the state that it's currently in? No, honestly I don't. WvW has been my baby (though not mine alone!) for quite a while now and I really want to see EPIC battles play out in all of their glory. If there was a switch I could flip to just make this work then I would have flipped the hell out of it by now, believe me. However, when you're dealing with resource utilization issues like this there are rarely any easy answers. I'm currently, actively looking into what exactly our options are in this regard. The fix is likely to be large-ish in scope, with changes on both the client and server, but we have some ideas that look like they may work out. So, will it get better? I can't make any promises because we're still experimenting and building new tech, but as a person who works on this every day I certainly believe that it can and will do everything in my power to make that happen.

It's good to have these sort of explanations. It makes me feel more forgiving about obtrusive and fuck-this-shit moments in WvW:D

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Man I need to catch up on this thread. I keep forgetting it got moved into the community section. D:

Am curious as to what the worlds economy is like now.

Nickiepoo

So shortbow vs longbow?

I perfer shortbow for normal PvE since you get the higher rate of fire and flanking bonuses while your pet tanks and range to target isn't an issue.

Longbow is great for large scale events or WvW since you can stay at max range (for max damage) better and use your AoE ability to good effect.

Vossler

So shortbow vs longbow?

My ranger, who is my main, has been using both at the same time, switching between. I am 10 tears away from getting my Royal Ascalonian Sword, so I would say that I'm probably going to lean towards the shortbow side after I obtain that. Shortbow + Quickening zephyr + traps + pet swaps = pwwnnagggeee so far for me. Longbow I've just been using for AOE in dungeon runs. Just my two cents.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My ranger, who is my main, has been using both at the same time, switching between. I am 10 tears away from getting my Royal Ascalonian Sword, so I would say that I'm probably going to lean towards the shortbow side after I obtain that. Shortbow + Quickening zephyr + traps + pet swaps = pwwnnagggeee so far for me. Longbow I've just been using for AOE in dungeon runs. Just my two cents.
Man between you and Achtius those ghosts are gonna run out of gear.

It's probably always been there, but you see it more often now because the playerbase became aware of it and started using it as a tactic. The whole mass portal trick was designed to trigger the culling effect by making your force is too large and too sudden for the game to render. Boom, invisible army for you.

It seems to be showing up in weirder situations now, though. I have had times where it goes for minutes at a time without drawing the "closest n players" (unless n is <5 and also includes NPCs). I expect the game to choke a bit when there are 50+ players in a fight, but not when there are 5-10.

Sullichin

Apologies for only talking about performance issues in this thread but i'm a noob (and an MMO noob too) and I have no idea what you guys are talking about 99% of the time.

Anyway, getting pretty shit performance on the Mac Beta on a Retina MacBook Pro no matter what settings I change. Is the Mac client just not very good yet?

Apologies for only talking about performance issues in this thread but i'm a noob (and an MMO noob too) and I have no idea what you guys are talking about 99% of the time.

Anyway, getting pretty shit performance on the Mac Beta on a Retina MacBook Pro no matter what settings I change. Is the Mac client just not very good yet?

Could be several reasons, but yes. People report not so good things with Mac Beta Client; https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/mac

Your lucky though. Retina MBP is one sexy machine. Try bootcamp if you got a big enough SSD:)

I'm officially done with the game, sorry guys.

Sucks man, but it's not for everybody, that's for sure.

Any particular reasons why? I'm not going to form a rebuttal but I am curious. My co-worker isn't very into it either basically because it "isn't WoW". He's the type that just likes farming and running around doing PVE and the 'quests' and PVE in this game are fairly lacking IMO, but still enjoyable. I can't blame him.

I personally like it a lot. I just really hope they fix some of the HUGE glaring issues that on my end seem easy to fix, but most likely aren't or I may be in the same boat.

Any particular reasons why? I'm not going to form a rebuttal but I am curious. My co-worker isn't very into it either basically because it "isn't WoW". He's the type that just likes farming and running around doing PVE and the 'quests' and PVE in this game are fairly lacking IMO, but still enjoyable. I can't blame him.

I personally like it a lot. I just really hope they fix some of the HUGE glaring issues that on my end seem easy to fix, but most likely aren't or I may be in the same boat.
I find it repetitive, grindy, badly optimized for old CPUs and I realized I didn't even like the story very much. By the way, with the end of the summer break and the academic year starting, I just can't invest much time in one game.

Levyne

Banned
Haha, well, I don't know what resolution you're operating at, but allow me to assure you that neither the 550m nor the 650m can come anywhere close to running the game "fine" at 2880x1800 ;)

I am fully aware of that. I was answering your question. He said he was getting shitty performance no matter what setting he changed. I assume this includes resolution.

etiolate

Banned
I find it repetitive, grindy, badly optimized for old CPUs and I realized I didn't even like the story very much. By the way, with the end of the summer break and the academic year starting, I just can't invest much time in one game.

My summer vacations never lasted this late into fall. >|

Piecake

I agree on the badly optimized part, thats for sure. My laptop should be able to run higher settings than low and not chug out when more than 15 people start doing shit on the screen

Kingbrave

Haha, well, I don't know what resolution you're operating at, but allow me to assure you that neither the 550m nor the 650m can come anywhere close to running the game "fine" at 2880x1800 ;)

Looked too tasty?

Gave me needs...and potato chips weren't enough

I agree on the badly optimized part, thats for sure. My laptop should be able to run higher settings than low and not chug out when more than 15 people start doing shit on the screen
MMOs are usually CPU-bound.

You'd be running into similar performance limitations in most other MMOs.

Unfortunately, the game has some kind of bug when I force ambient occlusion that results in nosediving frame rates. Since it's Nvidia-specific (and an unsupported driver feature, at that), I doubt it'll ever get fixed...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Shortbow it is then, though I guess swapping wouldn't hurt.

What about long ranged options for guardians (lol)? Staff feels terrible so scepter is my option which isn't too shabby, but what about its offhand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom