• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shortbow it is then, though I guess swapping wouldn't hurt.

What about long ranged options for guardians (lol)? Staff feels terrible so scepter is my option which isn't too shabby, but what about its offhand?
Focus for party support, shield for short range CC and buffing. I usually use shield, but I haven't played guardian for a while.

Did Anet say when they plan to Limit the server switching back to there original plan? 1 free switch? pay for the rest, went to Maguuma and CS is bad, seems like they just got to level 80 on that server, plus Yaks have people listing all the Ori nodes and I notice only a handful of servers are doing that....I am switching back to Yaks tomorrow bad idea to leave..

This is how easy players make it for Yaks...

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/...PirbKoNSRzEU7CrGoc2O2U/preview?pli=1&sle=true

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1lM08p9PwaZLGTgQ7LIlBagzt3sAZ-ciTIowgnZIqUx8/edit?pli=1

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/14F-iB17iEJUPrwJ4l8HT2jDDQSmhuMZ97hEMLtNdNs8/edit?pli=1

The guy has been a little busy and took off this week but for the past few weeks he has been on point with the locations...

Vossler

Trying to debate which class my alt is going to be.....Guardian or Thief. I'm thinking that both will be getting a nerf in the near future, but my thinking is that Thief will be getting more of one. Definitely going to find out this weekend which one I am rolling with.

Also, I would like to put my vote out there for some Guild activity with the Halloween event.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm really looking forward to playing my Norn Ranger (I didn't expect to make either a Norn or a Ranger at launch).

He has the potential to become what you seen in my avatar.

Retro

Trying to debate which class my alt is going to be.....Guardian or Thief. I'm thinking that both will be getting a nerf in the near future, but my thinking is that Thief will be getting more of one. Definitely going to find out this weekend which one I am rolling with.

Also, I would like to put my vote out there for some Guild activity with the Halloween event.

1. There's a major patch this Friday that will probably have some balance changes in it. Wait before you make that decision.

2. If you were at the Officer Meeting and Greet last night on mumble, you would have heard not only that we plan to really hit the Halloween event hard, but you'd have heard us (well, Jira and Max) gush about the new trailer / info that dropped last night. Hell, Max even made a new thread for it.

Guild activity with the Halloween Event is happening, we just don't know what it entails yet beyond 4 acts and some weapon skins via BL Chests.

Audίoboxer;43373194 said:
How do the Norn and Sylvari stories compare? Looking at one of them for my new Ranger.

I know the Lost Heirloom story path for the Norn involves the Kodan, and the Half Moon Shield path for the Sylvari gets you into Nightmare Court affairs quickly.
Ash Legion for the Charr is still my favorite story, despite the fact that I've let my Charr become my .... 5th tier alt.

Audioboxer

1. There's a major patch this Friday that will probably have some balance changes in it. Wait before you make that decision.

2. If you were at the Officer Meeting and Greet last night on mumble, you would have heard not only that we plan to really hit the Halloween event hard, but you'd have heard us (well, Jira and Max) gush about the new trailer / info that dropped last night. Hell, Max even made a new thread for it.

Guild activity with the Halloween Event is happening, we just don't know what it entails yet beyond 4 acts and some weapon skins via BL Chests.

I know the Lost Heirloom story path for the Norn involves the Kodan, and the Half Moon Shield path for the Sylvari gets you into Nightmare Court affairs quickly.
Ash Legion for the Charr is still my favorite story, despite the fact that I've let my Charr become my .... 5th tier alt.

Interesting, thanks. Anything should be better than human stories. I enjoyed what I played of the Charr Blood Legion line.

Also by this Friday do you mean there is a patch scheduled for today???

Retro

Oh, top of the new page. Here's the link to the Mad King event thread; http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=496277

Audίoboxer;43375576 said:
Interesting, thanks. Anything should be better than human stories. I enjoyed what I played of the Charr Blood Legion line.

Also by this Friday do you mean there is a patch scheduled for today???

Er... being on vacation and then my wife being sick has my days all screwed up. Patch should land on the 22nd.

Sullichin

Haha, well, I don't know what resolution you're operating at, but allow me to assure you that neither the 550m nor the 650m can come anywhere close to running the game "fine" at 2880x1800 ;)

Looked too tasty?

Oh yeah, I'm not crazy haha. Even when I drop it all the way down to 720p performance stinks. More annoying than the frame drops (my fps even drops on my PC with a 7870) is that there's often a pretty massive input delay when attacking. My character just stands there. I guess I can try bootcamp because I want to see how Dark Souls runs on this anyway.

Could be several reasons, but yes. People report not so good things with Mac Beta Client; https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/mac

Your lucky though. Retina MBP is one sexy machine. Try bootcamp if you got a big enough SSD:)

Thanks, I'll try some of the suggestions listed there

Vossler

Going to roll with a guardian....Heavy Armor looks so badass in this game, and I don't want to play as another relatively Squishy char.

be advised guardian is not squishy, but if you don't juggle your abilities you can do down pretty quick as we have a low HP pool.

Awesome class though, I bitch and moan but I enjoy it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm gonna have to buy another character slot for a Guardian eventually. Someday.

Retro, I hope your wife is doing alright!
Oh yeah, I'm not crazy haha. Even when I drop it all the way down to 720p performance stinks. More annoying than the frame drops (my fps even drops on my PC with a 7870) is that there's often a pretty massive input delay when attacking. My character just stands there. I guess I can try bootcamp because I want to see how Dark Souls runs on this anyway.
Oh, yeah, that's not even likely to be GPU-related :'( I hope that gets ironed out rapidly if it's a Mac client issue, input delay is a complete gamebreaker for this one.

Darb

Neo Member
I just read this interesting bit on the official forums:

"NYS is an Asian guild. As you can guess from the few English words and numbers in their official site, they stated:
They have NYS1 with 500 members full, NYS2 with 500 members full, NYS3 with over 300 members, NYS Champion over 200 members. And the fist sentence read: All members have already been transferred to Stormbluff Isle successfully.
On top of that, my previous guild (SDU) with over 60 active members followed NYS’s migration to SBI and all of them are now playing in SBI server now."

Sounds like quite an influx to SBI.

Retro

Going to roll with a guardian....Heavy Armor looks so badass in this game, and I don't want to play as another relatively Squishy char.

Thief draws a lot of comparisons to Batman for a reason; yes, you are in medium armor, but you're so damn fast and evasive that even though you might qualify as 'squishy' you are still harder than hell to pin down and defeat. Especially when you factor in their stealth and movement mechanics.

I don't think looking at any profession's armor is a good indicator of how 'squishy' they are; Necros are (supposedly, I have not played one) very durable because of their Death shroud. Almost any class, even Warriors, can be kinda 'squishy' if you go pure Glass Cannon as well.

It's really all about how you play.

Retro, I hope your wife is doing alright!

Thanks man. Just a cold, but sinus stuff tends to hit her pretty hard.

etiolate

Banned
I just read this interesting bit on the official forums:

"NYS is an Asian guild. As you can guess from the few English words and numbers in their official site, they stated:
They have NYS1 with 500 members full, NYS2 with 500 members full, NYS3 with over 300 members, NYS Champion over 200 members. And the fist sentence read: All members have already been transferred to Stormbluff Isle successfully.
On top of that, my previous guild (SDU) with over 60 active members followed NYS’s migration to SBI and all of them are now playing in SBI server now."

Sounds like quite an influx to SBI.

How did they get in? I haven't seen any of them so far.

Warriors are awful, and you should feel bad for even implying they are anything other than terrible.

Sooo predictable, so easy to counter, no nuance to them whatsoever. They only thing they're good for is crushing noobs and that's about it. For every role they cover, another class can do it better - especially guardians. In fact, if you ever think of rolling warrior for anything other than a ranged longbow/rifle build, you should just roll a guardian instead. Even after the nerfs they're still better.

Vossler

Quick question about Guardians, as I am about to get my Ascalonian Greatsword, and may keep it for my Guard. What seems to be the general consensus as far as trait allocation? The sword has VIT/TOUGH/POWER, and I am thinking that may be a good fit for a Guardian. Just seeing what the Guards out there think...

Warriors are awful, and you should feel bad for even implying they are anything other than terrible.

Sooo predictable, so easy to counter, no nuance to them whatsoever. They only thing they're good for is crushing noobs and that's about it. For every role they cover, another class can do it better - especially guardians. In fact, if you ever think of rolling warrior for anything other than a ranged longbow/rifle build, you should just roll a guardian instead. Even after the nerfs they're still better.

Slow down broseph, I didn't say anything that you're trying to imply, whatsoever. I was agreeing with what the other poster said about Warriors crying for a nerf to Guardians because they go in guns blazing as glass cannons then can't survive for shit.

So no, I don't feel bad. Plus my main is a guardian.

I just bought the game and have been playing a bit this week and am running up against the same thing that happened last time (during beta weekends).

I enjoy the first few levels because the combat is actually fun (for an MMO that is) and it's enjoyable to just swap out weapons and get all your skills learned with the weapons, but then as soon as I learn all the weapon skills I get bored and start a new class.

So, since I've never even made it past 7 and this game has a level 80 cap (keep in mind, I have 4 or 5 level 85s in WoW, so I'm not a stranger to MMO leveling), can anyone tell me what compels you to keep going? I may just be burned out on MMOs, which isn't the fault of GW2.

Do skills get more interesting? I dunno. Just looking for a, "Oh, it totally opens up at level X and starts to feel less grindy and more dynamic; you really do just need to play more!" assurance.

Also, warrior or guardian? =)

I tried thief last night and abhorred it.

"Do skills get more interesting? I dunno. Just looking for a, "Oh, it totally opens up at level X and starts to feel less grindy and more dynamic; you really do just need to play more!" assurance."

Nope. There are a very small, handful of traits across all of the classes that might maybe change a skill in a way that's game changing or you might be able to get a set of utility skills that really round out your build, but otherwise, nope. There's nothing like hitting a certain level in other MMOs and getting major class defining ability, for better or worse.

I just bought the game and have been playing a bit this week and am running up against the same thing that happened last time (during beta weekends).

I enjoy the first few levels because the combat is actually fun (for an MMO that is) and it's enjoyable to just swap out weapons and get all your skills learned with the weapons, but then as soon as I learn all the weapon skills I get bored and start a new class.

So, since I've never even made it past 7 and this game has a level 80 cap (keep in mind, I have 4 or 5 level 85s in WoW, so I'm not a stranger to MMO leveling), can anyone tell me what compels you to keep going? I may just be burned out on MMOs, which isn't the fault of GW2.

Do skills get more interesting? I dunno. Just looking for a, "Oh, it totally opens up at level X and starts to feel less grindy and more dynamic; you really do just need to play more!" assurance.

You may just be burnt out. I left WoW for a good 2 years before I gave another MMO a fair shake.

Honestly if it doesn't feel fun then don't bother. I enjoy it because the zones are really cool, the quests are basic MMO stuff with some twists thrown in, and the WvW and sPVP are a blast even if they have issues.

It's an MMO so don't expect the genre to be turned on its head here, it does change things up a bit but you'll still end up doing "MMO stuff" for the most part: gathering, running from A to B, killing 10 of X, etc ...

If you don't enjoy the PVE try the PVP, if you don't enjoy that either, then I say sub up WoW and get those 85's to 90 and maybe in a while this game will have what you want from it. But don't force yourself. I did that in WoW until I realized that I could just enjoy myself without having to make it my second job.

The game has a lot to offer, plus it really helps to group up with people and run around an area. It's not required and they make it so you don't have to ... but it always help with MMOs.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Well, you're missing out on the entirety of skill/build customization; you get three utility skill slots and your first column of traits (which are swappable at any time and able to be used situationally) in the next few levels and then at level 30, your elite skill slot, which changes things up quite a bit, but then at 40, your master traits and 60, your grandmaster, and of course it's not until level 80 when you have all the points that you can fully play around with all the build options available.

But that said, I found the entire leveling process very, very fun and that's what compelled me to keep going. Your claim about having multiple 85s (that's max I assume) in WoW threw me off, because I can't imagine the experience is very similar at all.

I can't relate at all to the game feeling "grindy" prior to level 10; indeed, I didn't feel like it had a hint of grind all the way until almost post-80 for me, when I decided I wanted certain dungeon cosmetic items, and that actually necessitates repeating content (but for the most part I really enjoy doing dungeons and improving my skill at them, too).

So, on the one hand, it definitely does open up as you unlock the options for your character (I'd say level 30 being the most significant barrier), but if you aren't finding the road to getting there fun, it's not all that likely you'll start. :(

Believe me, if I got to a point where I stopped finding the actual experience of just logging in and playing fun, I'd just stop. There's ultimately nothing else compelling me to play (and I subscribe to the philosophy that there really shouldn't ever be).

As it stands, I haven't been able to log in at all in about a week (except to test/fix my new GPU) and I am dying to jump back in. I miss it more than I expected to (prior to this, I had not missed completion of my daily achievements a single time since launch, so I wouldn't be surprised if I was burnt out by now). Just one more run and I can get my SE pistol and start fleshing out my new build...
"Do skills get more interesting? I dunno. Just looking for a, "Oh, it totally opens up at level X and starts to feel less grindy and more dynamic; you really do just need to play more!" assurance."

Nope. There are a very small, handful of traits across all of the classes that might maybe change a skill in a way that's game changing or you might be able to get a set of utility skills that really round out your build, but otherwise, nope. There's nothing like hitting a certain level in other MMOs and getting major class defining ability, for better or worse.
Your trademark negativity aside, I think level 30 (your elite skill slot) fits the bill you've described almost to a tee... it did for my thief and mesmer, at least, I admit I can't speak to any other classes. At level 7 he doesn't even have his second utility skill slot unlocked...

edit: I have an idea! Snakes (w/ Lasers), try Elementalist! They have more skills to unlock per weapon than the other classes.

Won

Not much that compels one to keep going. Never managed to get another character to level 30 let alone 80 despite quite liking the game at it's core. You are either hooked on the whole concept early on or not.

"Your trademark negativity aside, I think level 30 (your elite skill slot) fits the bill you've described almost to a tee... it did for my thief and mesmer, at least, I admit I can't speak to any other classes. At level 7 he doesn't even have his second utility skill slot unlocked..."

Does not fit the bill for Engineers and Guardians, unfortunately.

Proven

This is my problem with Warrior right now. They're probably the most balanced class in terms of doing any role. They're one of my favorite classes right now.

There's just one niggling issue: They're the only class in the game that's average at everything. Every other class has something they're great at and then something they're horrible at. So in tPvP a Warrior has to spec for a very narrow use in order to get their abilities high enough, and even then they're only brought along to be a roamer or team fight extra.

I still love Warriors. For me right now, they have the best flow, especially with the halved weapon switching trait (running Sword/Shield or Warhorn with Longbow secondary). Warriors may only find use because of their balanced state, so I've been experimenting with that, at least.

Proven

Thieves are horrible at nothing and excellent at everything.

Good day.

Their healing isn't that great. And they need traits to give boons to anybody besides themselves. They can give Regeneration with a trait and are great at stealth reviving though.

Edit: Basically, a Thief can't do even decent support since it mostly revolves around stealth, and stealth and blinds will only work in most circumstances if the people you're playing with are on the same page.

This is where Guildwars 1 rocked, so many skills to learn so many builds to play around with, GW1 destroys GW2 when it comes to skill variation, GW2 trait cannot make up for the crazy builds you could mess sound with in GW1....

I feel you Snakes. The game can get a bit boring since you get all your abilities pretty early, with the utilities not really being all that exciting.

I'm trying to see the good in it and pushing onward. I have about 19 levels left to reach 80. After that, I'm not sure if I'll continue or not.

I do wish it had Guild Wars's skill system but that's not going to happen so I just have to deal.

Complistic

This is where Guildwars 1 rocked, so many skills to learn so many builds to play around with, GW1 destroys GW2 when it comes to skill variation, GW2 trait cannot make up for the crazy builds you could mess sound with in GW1....

I think what they need to do is give each skill slot on each weapon 2 or 3 skills you can choose between. That way they can still reasonably balance weapons but there's still some choice.

Guild wars 1 had a lot of skills, and about 75% of them were completely useless.

"I think what they need to do is give each skill slot on each weapon 2 or 3 skills you can choose between. That way they can still reasonably balance weapons but there's still some choice.

Guild wars 1 had a lot of skills, and about 75% of them were completely useless."

Taking it a step further, I think weapon sets should have 10-15 skills you can choose from (less for 1 hand/offhand) freely.

Thanks for all of the responses guys.

I'm going to stick with it for a while--I'll put in 20 hours at least before I make any solid "boring for me" judgments--I was mainly curious if anything really just cracks open at a certain point.

Otherwise, I feel like it's kind of front-loaded. (And I'm not sure why there are EIGHTY levels!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom