• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

gotee12

Is there a level minimum on ACT 1?
The only requirement in GW1 for Halloween events was access to the cities that the event took place in. As long as you're in Lions Arch, you shouldn't have any trouble with taking part in at least Act 1 (who knows about the other acts). And it really only takes about 10 minutes of playtime with a brand new toon to get to LA (via the pvp Asura Gate).

MajorPain

Started playing this weekend played for about 4 or 5 hours. Really enjoying the game so far may start a new toon though not too crazy about the engineer may try a guardian.

World is beautiful with lots to do can't wait to spend some more time in it. Only thing I don't like so far is I wish the game did a better job of explaining how things work but I am slowly starting to understand things.

Vossler

Both pumpkins and strawberries have risen quite a bit in price.....missed that boat. I need to pay more attention to the TP to make some monies...

When I created my character the GAF server was FULL so I couldn't join there. Bummer.

Played a lot this weekend and got to 16 with my Guardian. Got 100% completion on the opening Norn zone, which was neat, now I'm trying to decide where to go second since there are two level 15 zones I can choose from.

I started just playing it like an RPG instead of an MMO (stopped focusing on leveling and just wandered around doing quests and exploring) and that definitely enhanced my experience. But I'm still a bit unimpressed with the skills. I feel like the experience is already a bit rote: I'm using a Greatsword, walk in and start mashing 1 to initiate. Then hit 4 to drop my seal/combo field, hit 3 to activate Retaliation with my finisher, then hit 2 to spin in a circle and hit everyone if they are still alive.

The non-weapon skills that I've learned don't add much for the second to second decision making (I have a sword that follows me around that I forget to cast because it's boring, and I have a sigil that decreases how much damage I take...). The sigils that I have (F1-F3) don't seem to add much "actively" while soloing.

I think the most fun I have is with enemies that cast and I get big red AoE markers that hint that I should dodge. It feels active on those fights, but the other fights I just kind of stand there and trade hits because things die faster if I stay in range than if I dodge away and run back in.

That said, I'm still enjoying it, but I don't see how it will still be fun in another few hours.

ParityBit

I am on the GAF server and in the guild. Everyone is very helpful. I love posting a link to unidentified dye's to see who is closest. I forgot who, but someone guessed my exactly. Lucky SOB.

etiolate

Banned
Just as a FYI, you don't need to be on the same server to be in the GAF guild.

Guardian is pretty easy mode. Can't tell you how it gets at higher levels. I would say difficulty and challenge moves up once you get past the starter zone, and then continues and plateaus around level 30 zones, and then ramps up again in 70+ zones (namely Orr).

There is also a difficulty jump with dungeons and some story missions. And then another jump with explore mode dungeons.

When I created my character the GAF server was FULL so I couldn't join there. Bummer.

Played a lot this weekend and got to 16 with my Guardian. Got 100% completion on the opening Norn zone, which was neat, now I'm trying to decide where to go second since there are two level 15 zones I can choose from.

I started just playing it like an RPG instead of an MMO (stopped focusing on leveling and just wandered around doing quests and exploring) and that definitely enhanced my experience. But I'm still a bit unimpressed with the skills. I feel like the experience is already a bit rote: I'm using a Greatsword, walk in and start mashing 1 to initiate. Then hit 4 to drop my seal/combo field, hit 3 to activate Retaliation with my finisher, then hit 2 to spin in a circle and hit everyone if they are still alive.

The non-weapon skills that I've learned don't add much for the second to second decision making (I have a sword that follows me around that I forget to cast because it's boring, and I have a sigil that decreases how much damage I take...). The sigils that I have (F1-F3) don't seem to add much "actively" while soloing.

I think the most fun I have is with enemies that cast and I get big red AoE markers that hint that I should dodge. It feels active on those fights, but the other fights I just kind of stand there and trade hits because things die faster if I stay in range than if I dodge away and run back in.

That said, I'm still enjoying it, but I don't see how it will still be fun in another few hours.

If you're going to use GS, hit 5 twice to round them up, 4, F1, 2, then either 3 or 1 depending on what is left. I did what you did at first but then realized there's more to it. Especially when you start using skill points to compliment your build. I start off with 3 sometimes too if they are crowded together and then round them up and AOE with 4/2.

As for F1-F3, they are situational but mostly passive. If you aren't using your utilities or F keys, try skipping ahead a bit and take on things higher level. When I was about 20 or so I started staying ahead by 4-5 levels. It made the game seem more 'fun' because I couldn't just spam I had to think and plan out my abilities. I'm only level 58 with my Guardian but I'm really starting to enjoy it more now that I'm actively traiting and setting up my skill rotation for certain situations.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The sigils that I have (F1-F3) don't seem to add much "actively" while soloing.

From my experience so far (level 36 Guardian and level 80 Necro to base this off of), 1v1 will feel routine. It's when you start doing events and group stuff where you will feel much more "involved" in what's going on. Also, while the red circles tell you where to move from AoE attacks, flanking, dodging, and moving is to your benefit. It will help you dodge attacks.

Your F1-3 skills are amazing. Don't underestimate the power of your F1 skill. F2 is great for a small health boost when you need it, and F3 is what gives Guardian that increased survivability that we're so proud of.

And also, if you aren't enjoying the class, try something else out. Elementalist or Mesmer may give you a level of complexity some classes don't offer. And for what it's worth, I've heard Engi is a blast to play (haven't played one myself).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I should really set you up on a date with Subject Alpha...

Just as a FYI, you don't need to be on the same server to be in the GAF guild.

Guardian is pretty easy mode. Can't tell you how it gets at higher levels. I would say difficulty and challenge moves up once you get past the starter zone, and then continues and plateaus around level 30 zones, and then ramps up again in 70+ zones (namely Orr).

There is also a difficulty jump with dungeons and some story missions. And then another jump with explore mode dungeons.
What class would you recommend as more dynamic?

Also, how do I request a guild join if not on server?
If you're going to use GS, hit 5 twice to round them up, 4, F1, 2, then either 3 or 1 depending on what is left. I did what you did at first but then realized there's more to it. Especially when you start using skill points to compliment your build. I start off with 3 sometimes too if they are crowded together and then round them up and AOE with 4/2.

As for F1-F3, they are situational but mostly passive. If you aren't using your utilities or F keys, try skipping ahead a bit and take on things higher level. When I was about 20 or so I started staying ahead by 4-5 levels. It made the game seem more 'fun' because I couldn't just spam I had to think and plan out my abilities. I'm only level 58 with my Guardian but I'm really starting to enjoy it more now that I'm actively traiting and setting up my skill rotation for certain situations.
I thought 5 only hits in melee range, am I wrong? If it does ranged and then pulls everyone close, that would definitely add some more fun to gathering dudes.
From my experience so far (level 36 Guardian and level 80 Necro to base this off of), 1v1 will feel routine. It's when you start doing events and group stuff where you will feel much more "involved" in what's going on. Also, while the red circles tell you where to move from AoE attacks, flanking, dodging, and moving is to your benefit. It will help you dodge attacks.

Your F1-3 skills are amazing. Don't underestimate the power of your F1 skill. F2 is great for a small health boost when you need it, and F3 is what gives Guardian that increased survivability that we're so proud of.

And also, if you aren't enjoying the class, try something else out. Elementalist or Mesmer may give you a level of complexity some classes don't offer. And for what it's worth, I've heard Engi is a blast to play (haven't played one myself).
Can you explain more about proper use of the F skills? I feel like F2 is pretty useless--when I need the healing, it doesn't seem to grant me anything? F1 I usually just leave it up as a passive so that it is constantly adding fire, how should I use it more intelligently?
Lastly, I'm stupid when it comes to defense, so I admit I could use F3 better, but I still don't really "understand" defense in this game.
I should really set you up on a date with Subject Alpha...
I wish I knew what this meant! =D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
;)

Also I hope that response didn't come off as dismissive, I responded only to that one part literally because I know nothing about guardians and didn't feel qualified.

edit: To join the guild, send an in-game mail to Ashodin Venteal, Ferny, or Hawkian the Blade (that's me). I'd be able to add you tomorrow night but not before :( The other two are the guild leaders.

jersoc

guardian GS 5 is a range. it's not very long though. It basically flings out, i think 5 blades then you hit it again to pull them towards you. you can also combo it off the symbol and for AE cleanse.

but you'll come around and see the hammer is better :p

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Can you explain more about proper use of the F skills? I feel like F2 is pretty useless--when I need the healing, it doesn't seem to grant me anything? F1 I usually just leave it up as a passive so that it is constantly adding fire, how should I use it more intelligently?
Lastly, I'm stupid when it comes to defense, so I admit I could use F3 better, but I still don't really "understand" defense in this game.

Def.

F1 = Virtue of Justice. As a passive, every 5th attack ignites your foe. When you activate it, your next attack causes ignite. Also, as the wiki states, the passive burn isn't as powerful as the active burn. The numbers may be skewed, but passive is also for less time (1s vs 5s active). Activating this while attacking any slightly harder foe or during champion/elite fights adds to your overall damage output.

F2 = Virtue of Resolve. As a passive, it's just a steady regen. As an active, it will heal a small chunk of yours and surrounding allies' health (a VERY small chunk). This will not keep you alive, but paired with Renewed Focus and/or Retreat, it could be the difference between life and death. You should have Signet of Resolve on your 6. It's easily the best healing option - that's what you want to be using. F2 is your escape/oh shit button.

F3 = Virtue of Courage. As a passive, it grants Aegis every 40s. Aegis is a buff that blocks the next incoming attack. When you activate it, it grants you and nearby allies Aegis for 5s. Basically, the way I play this is that I activate right before a big AoE attack that I'm going to be smacked with OR if I'm up tanking an elite and want to mitigate a swing. It's a very subtle mitigation, but given the 30s CD paired with the passive 40s Aegis, Courage can be a very useful Virtue.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What class would you recommend as more dynamic?
I think you said you hated thief :)() so that's too bad as they're dynamic as all-get-out.

But the three beyond that I think you might like:

1) Engineer - haters say they're not good at anything, but the veterans in this guild know what's up. They're the most versatile class and they can just wreck shit left and right.

2) Mesmer - really unique and totally a blast to play. The problem is that they're a really slow burn, you'll feel downright weak and struggle in the early levels, and it wasn't until just past 40 that I really started to feel like "alright, let's get down to business" and began pulling multiple higher level mobs.

3) Elementalist - I recommended this to you before and I think you really might like it, I missed your response, sorry. Are you anti-caster? They require a VERY active playstyle, constantly switching elemental attunement, and they have more skills to unlock per weapon than any other class.

edit: On the above- I don't know much, but I know that Aegis and other "block next attack" skills are just a straight-up complete 100% damage negation. Incredibly useful; love seeing it pop up on my arm when a Guardian hits that F3 skill (I now assume that is what has been happening).

edit: It's funny how you mentioned the utility skills as not making much difference for moment-to-moment decisions. I'd like to hear what Keoni and Ash are using for utilities. My mesmer build would absolutely crumble to pieces without my utility skills, hehe

Have they made any comments on adjusting event scaling or difficulty? Lot less players running around now that the launch madness wore off and population has normalized, so there are tons of events that just feel impossible due to no one doing them or just not enough people around to do them. Only been doing WvWvW mainly so going about now trying to pve level and constantly find myself or only one or two others doing an event and failing. At least you still get credit for trying....

And when are they turning off the free transfers, it's a mess with guilds still up and leaving whenever there server underperforms in WvWvW. One of the bigger WvWvW guilds just left us because of the dissapointing performance in the last 2 weeks matchups and we are just getting steam rolled again.

Kingbrave

I think you said you hated thief :)() so that's too bad as they're dynamic as all-get-out.

But the three beyond that I think you might like:

1) Engineer - haters say they're not good at anything, but the veterans in this guild know what's up. They're the most versatile class and they can just wreck shit left and right.

2) Mesmer - really unique and totally a blast to play. The problem is that they're a really slow burn, you'll feel downright weak and struggle in the early levels, and it wasn't until just past 40 that I really started to feel like "alright, let's get down to business" and began pulling multiple higher level mobs.

3) Elementalist - I recommended this to you before and I think you really might like it, I missed your response, sorry. Are you anti-caster? They require a VERY active playstyle, constantly switching elemental attunement, and they have more skills to unlock per weapon than any other class.

edit: On the above- I don't know much, but I know that Aegis and other "block next attack" skills are just a straight-up complete 100% damage negation. Incredibly useful; love seeing it pop up on my arm when a Guardian hits that F3 skill (I now assume that is what has been happening).

edit: It's funny how you mentioned the utility skills as not making much difference for moment-to-moment decisions. I'd like to hear what Keoni and Ash are using for utilities. My mesmer build would absolutely crumble to pieces without my utility skills, hehe

I can agree on the Ele...at least to lvl 9 or whatever... I have to actually pay attention other than just hit shit with my warrior's axes...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I can agree on the Ele...at least to lvl 9 or whatever... I have to actually pay attention other than just hit shit with my warrior's axes...
Can't wait to start leveling mine up a bit. I love the feeling with a given weapon that for any situation, it's not "Should I use my 2 skill or swap weapons here?" but "Which of my four 2 skills is best-suited to this?" Feels very unusual and engaging to me.
BattleMonkey said:
Have they made any comments on adjusting event scaling or difficulty? Lot less players running around now that the launch madness wore off and population has normalized, so there are tons of events that just feel impossible due to no one doing them or just not enough people around to do them. Only been doing WvWvW mainly so going about now trying to pve level and constantly find myself or only one or two others doing an event and failing. At least you still get credit for trying....
Do you have any areas in mind where this has been a problem? In general, the event scaling seems to work pretty well, and not every event should be able to be completed by any size group. I'd had a lot of fun a couple times calling out to the guild for help when in a situation that the event was too tough to complete with the available players.

That said, I've been able to complete tons (like literally 20+ unique events) completely alone, so there are plenty that can be done.

I'm not sure if there are any instances where they're specifically looking to lower difficulty, but definitely post on the forums if you feel you've found a truly broken encounter.

Kingbrave

Can't wait to start leveling mine up a bit. I love the feeling with a given weapon that for any situation, it's not "Should I use my 2 skill or swap weapons here?" but "Which of my four 2 skills is best-suited to this?" Feels very unusual and engaging to me.

That's exactly how I feel. I'm leveling a little slower because I don't want to get tired of the game yet.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
So how do people make money at 80? Hopefully my alt-itis dies (gonna run out of fun classes to play eventually) and I can stick to playing a level 80.

Saw a guy in Guild chat saying he made 50g in a week. Basically, how do I do that? With the exception of an entire monopoly I was running in Star Wars Galaxies I am always dirt poor in MMOs.

Vossler

I ran orr for about 4 hours on Sat night and made about 7g. That and random loot drops, along with some crafting have made me some money.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So how do people make money at 80? Hopefully my alt-itis dies (gonna run out of fun classes to play eventually) and I can stick to playing a level 80.

Saw a guy in Guild chat saying he made 50g in a week. Basically, how do I do that? With the exception of an entire monopoly I was running in Star Wars Galaxies I am always dirt poor in MMOs.
That's TOTALLY possible, if you aren't spending money and willing to play 2-4 hours a day. Even if you don't take part in the Orr game, here are some moneymaking suggestions:
-Dungeons. Oft neglected. But 26 silver in your pocket each time you do any path (including story it would seem) is nothing to scoff at. Selling everything you pick up is another chunk, and plenty of Champions have 5 silver on them. Every once in a while you'll get a nice lodestone drop too for another big profit on the run. The key is getting relatively good at them, especially a particular dungeon, so you won't be repairing that often.
-Doing event chains earns you money more quickly than you realize, and I don't even mean at the 80 zones. There's this cave filled with Risen in Bloodtide Coast that has an awesome chain and chilling in there for a while will make you a bunch of cash.
-Once you know where all the orichalcum and omnomberries are, hit them once a day and sell that stuff.
-You can make a decent profit every so often by buying a stack of copper for the cheapest price available and relisting it for 2 copper more or so. These orders are always filled and that's really like free money.
-Good old fashioned farming. Check out gw2spidy, find an item that sells for decent cash, look at where that item drops, throw on some magic find, and get to it :p

That said, get good at tagging stuff in the Orr rush and always be part of some event or another, and it'll always be the most effective way to make money.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Specifically for gold gain: there are quite a few people in the GAF guild that exploit the auction house/forge.

Retro

No patch for me yet...is it delayed or something?

Later tonight, I keep hearing 6pm, not sure if Pacific or Eastern.

Edit: They just confirmed on the stream that all of the Event stuff will be accessible for all levels.
Edit 2: New resources will drop in the world, used in crafting. One is Candy Corn.

Also thanks guys for all the advice. I'm sticking with the Guardian for now I think (sounds like I've only hit the surface so far, so I want to get better before I flee), but I might try out Elementalist too just for a break. =D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Later tonight, I keep hearing 6pm, not sure if Pacific or Eastern.

Edit: They just confirmed on the stream that all of the Event stuff will be accessible for all levels.
Edit 2: New resources will drop in the world, used in crafting. One is Candy Corn.

you mine it

at nodes

candy corn resource nodes

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
That's TOTALLY possible, if you aren't spending money and willing to play 2-4 hours a day. Even if you don't take part in the Orr game, here are some moneymaking suggestions:
-Dungeons. Oft neglected. But 26 silver in your pocket each time you do any path (including story it would seem) is nothing to scoff at. Selling everything you pick up is another chunk, and plenty of Champions have 5 silver on them. Every once in a while you'll get a nice lodestone drop too for another big profit on the run. The key is getting relatively good at them, especially a particular dungeon, so you won't be repairing that often.
-Doing event chains earns you money more quickly than you realize, and I don't even mean at the 80 zones. There's this cave filled with Risen in Bloodtide Coast that has an awesome chain and chilling in there for a while will make you a bunch of cash.
-Once you know where all the orichalcum and omnomberries are, hit them once a day and sell that stuff.
-You can make a decent profit every so often by buying a stack of copper for the cheapest price available and relisting it for 2 copper more or so. These orders are always filled and that's really like free money.
-Good old fashioned farming. Check out gw2spidy, find an item that sells for decent cash, look at where that item drops, throw on some magic find, and get to it :p

That said, get good at tagging stuff in the Orr rush and always be part of some event or another, and it'll always be the most effective way to make money.
Excellent. I'll make gold, then buy gems, then not get anything with those gems because nothing interests me. MUAHAHAHA

Vossler

Man, won't have time to login tonight, but will definitely be hitting up the Halloween events tomorrow. I NEEDS TRICK OR TREAT BAGS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom