• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferny

Yeah, I'm gonna need an SSD.

Hook me up recommendation-GAF

I just installed a Crucial M4 120 gb SSD over the weekend. Had some trouble but got it working and it SCREAMS. Boot in like 2 secs, apps up lightning fast. Got GW2 on it and it loads SUPER quick. I also picked up a Samsung 256gb SSD when they had a sale for like $120.

jersoc

It's a Back slot item, which you normally don't get until a bit later. Might help you in the early levels. I wouldn't throw it away, as I have a sneaking suspicion it might be used later in the event.

saw someone link a rare version of it. so keep it imo.

Thanks for the guides and stuff earlier you guys. Just got the last ghost (omg that last one was a bitch at level 4 lol) after many many resurrections

Anyways, now I just need to find trick or treat bags, doors, carving pumpkins, etc.

KuroNeeko

Any of the Big Three going to be on in about 30 minutes? Going to try to get on during lunch and mail you guys for some hot GAFGUILD invite action!

Audίoboxer;43565222 said:
Done the Halloween scavenger event on my level 5 character, required some patience, especially getting through that tomb at the end!! Lots of deaths.

I done it all for a book basically? :p

Gat damn, dood.

I've got a 15 Necro who made it past the first block of traps but died in the clearing before the second block to a bunch of slime doods.

My sylvari was completely nekkid by the time I went back to Ascalon Camp to lick my wounds. Guess I'll try again at lunch.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Audίoboxer;43559850 said:
Went Blood Legion, as a Guardian is more 'warrior' based than engineering/guns. Heck we can't even use guns.

My Charr engineer is Iron Legion.

So I'll get to experience both - Already did quite a bit of blood legion and fairly enjoyed it (much better than Human, the only other story I've done a bit of). This was on a warrior though and I simply grew tired. Not long after deleting this character I took a rest from GW2. It's not grabbing me like most other MMOs I've tried, keep getting bored, but I love Halloween so this content patch should keep me going.

I also found out Charr are basically atheists, so that made me happy :p
You can mix and match stuff though, like having warriors in Iron Legion or mages in Blood Legion and stuff.

And yeah charr are atheists, so awesome!

KuroNeeko

Every time I think I've managed to escape, another hot human female in Tier 3 medium cultural armor or sexy-ass light armor starts pulling me back to the race.

I just can't bring myself to work with Logan... (;.;)

Audioboxer

Gat damn, dood.

I've got a 15 Necro who made it past the first block of traps but died in the clearing before the second block to a bunch of slime doods.

My sylvari was completely nekkid by the time I went back to Ascalon Camp to lick my wounds. Guess I'll try again at lunch.

Got my necro at level 6 sitting outside the last part.

The key to doing it is login at a busy time and do a naked run behind a group of other players. I still died about 10 times? or more on my level 5 character to the traps/blobs. Once you make it to the spider room, be a coward and hug the door that opens once the players kill the spiders.

edit: Just managed it again after 7 tries.

JChalmers

Neo Member
So played until about 3am GMT this morning trying out different classes.

First want to say I absolutely love the skills system and way you get different attacks depending on what weapon load outs you have. Like the fact you can unlock them pretty easily enough by killing enemies.

It does feel like it just throws you straight into the game, which in some points is good because it forces you to go and explore and see what happens. But a smaller tutorial section would've been nice. (Wasn't too sure what I was doing with gathering until someone quite helpfully told me about the Pickaxe, Axe and Sickle and that you can equip all three and gather them all at once, quite neat.) Also it seems tailoring and leatherworking will take some time to level up as you can't skin animals or anything (think that's the skill you needed in WOW, been a long time since playing that.)

Class Wise think the highest levelled class I have so far is about 6;

Thief - Tried this out first and was running a pistol, dagger combo which was quite cool. Enjoyed getting up close, knifing them and then shadow stepping backwards to shoot them. Tried to find a longbow to get the clusterbomb talent but couldn't find one anywhere. (Doesn't seem to be any weaponsmiths anywhere either that sell weapons)

Ranger - Really enjoyed having a pet that could tank, so far had a shortbow which was rather quick and fun to use. Don't think I'll continue with it though until a later point.

Elementalist - Didn't feel this at all, think because of the different attunements and variety of skills it was quite tough to keep trying to mix and match effectively. Ended up deleting this character quite early one, however expect I'll give it another go at some point.

Engineer - I rather enjoyed the different gadgets and talents with the Engineer, however wasn't too keen on being very limited on what weapons we can equip. The one thing I couldn't understand was even though you dual-wield pistols even the basic auto attack you only shoot one and the other is by your side. Could see this class being very fun to play, going to try and find a rifle and see what the skills are like.

Warrior - Finished off last night with a Charr Warrior last night, back in the day of WOW I used to love playing as a Warrior and for some reason I absolutely love them in GW2 too. Feel like a bad-ass with a Two-Handed Hammer and wrecking into 4-5 enemies at once. Switched to a Mace/Axe combo but wasn't really feeling this, felt like damage was a lot smaller, suppose you hit more often though. At the moment going to continue with the Two-Handed Hammer.

At the moment I'm still picking up the basics and learning about each class, might even give the others a go tonight. Think I'll be sticking with the Warrior and Thief at the moment though and take it from there.

If I've got some things wrong, or you can see something that can be suggested then it would be great.

Loving the game disappointed I didn't pick it up earlier!

Logged in and did some of the Halloween event. I had a good time but thought the Costume Brawl mini game was extremely annoying. Got the achievement and decided I was done with that horrible distraction.

I started the scavenger hunt and did 5 or 6 of the locations, opened a few Halloween gates/doors, mined some giant candy corn, found some trick or treat bags, and carved some pumpkins. I also got some gems, claimed my free devil horns, and purchased the Mad King costume and the Phantom Hood. It's nice to have some cool looking Town Clothes options now.

I'm going to continue the scavenger hunt later this week and whatever else they have planned for the remainder of the event. I would like to check out the new diving spots and jumping puzzles but I'm assuming those can be done anytime.

FillerB

Good to hear you like to game. Have some pointers!

(Doesn't seem to be any weaponsmiths anywhere either that sell weapons)

There are plenty around. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Vendor has a list of the different vendors and their minimap icon.

JEngineer - I rather enjoyed the different gadgets and talents with the Engineer, however wasn't too keen on being very limited on what weapons we can equip. The one thing I couldn't understand was even though you dual-wield pistols even the basic auto attack you only shoot one and the other is by your side. Could see this class being very fun to play, going to try and find a rifle and see what the skills are like.

Engineers are all about their toolbelts and Kit skills given them access to a multitude of weapons such as grenades, turrets, flamethrowers etc which replaces the normal weapons. It just takes some time to unlock them but when you do.... Oh my.

Kerrinck

Ok, just got myself to level 80 and still feel completely lost.
Is there any guide on what to do and what gear to get once you reach 80?

Also, can I only enter dungeons with a group? I get completely destroyed by the first enemy on the lv 30 dungeon.
Will be kinda hard to get someone to go with me after playing solo all this time.

Retro

Also it seems tailoring and leatherworking will take some time to level up as you can't skin animals or anything.

Guild Wars 2 puts more emphasis on salvaging for cloth/leather drops. Salvaging is a bit like Disenchanting; you destroy an item to get materials. It's just that instead of dusts, powders and such, you get leather and cloth bits. Buy a Salvage kit from a merchant and salvage anything you're not going to wear or sell.

Doesn't seem to be any weaponsmiths anywhere either that sell weapons.

There are weapon and armor vendors in all of the cities; look for small grey sword or helmet icons. They sell white-quality weapons at 10-level intervals (so if you can't find a level 50 shortbow, you can always pick one up there).

Engineer - I rather enjoyed the different gadgets and talents with the Engineer, however wasn't too keen on being very limited on what weapons we can equip. The one thing I couldn't understand was even though you dual-wield pistols even the basic auto attack you only shoot one and the other is by your side. Could see this class being very fun to play, going to try and find a rifle and see what the skills are like.

Engineer really starts to shine when you unlock your utility skill slots (that's 7, 8 and 9) because they are heavily dependent on weapon kits and such.

For all professions except Thief, your 1-3 skills will only use your mainhand weapons and 4 and 5 will be offhand weapons. Thief is a special exception, since you played one of those first it probably came as a surprise.

Rifle Engineer is a blast (pun intended)

Feel like a bad-ass with a Two-Handed Hammer and wrecking into 4-5 enemies at once. Switched to a Mace/Axe combo but wasn't really feeling this, felt like damage was a lot smaller, suppose you hit more often though. At the moment going to continue with the Two-Handed Hammer.

Mace is kind of a tank-y weapon for warriors, lots of stuns and dazes. Pair it with a shield and some of the Arms traits and you can really dish out a lot of stuns and damage. Off-hand Axe has that crazy spin attack in the 5th slot, very nice as an off-hand for just about anything.

Try Hammer Guardian. Banish is easily the most visceral skill in the game. You feel like a God when you break that out. You might also want to try Greatsword Warrior (and Guardian) too, both are pretty cool.

Other than those tidbits of advice;
- All classes except Elementalist and Engineer get a second weapon slot at level 7, and you can switch between your two weapon sets at any time (including combat). It makes a world of difference to be able to run a Warrior with a Rifle or Longbow in the second slot, as you can hammer away (pun intended) at melee then dodge out and destroy them from a distance. You mentioned not getting any characters past level 6, so you were really close there.

- Dodge. Learn it, Love it. It will save your life more than anything else in this game.

- It sounds like you're giving every class a try; good. Since GW2 does away with the trinity, there's less emphasis on what your class can do, and more on how they do it. Each class has a gameplay style that you may love, but if you write them off based on experiences with other games, you may miss out. For example, Mesmers are insane, even in melee, despite looking like a caster class. Likewise with Ranger; with melee weapons equipped they can be quite scary (Especially Greatsword). The reverse is also true: Warriors have two ranged weapons at their disposal and Rifle Warrior gets a lot of playtime. Guardians with a Staff play more like casters. Elementalists with daggers are sort of melee.

Try it all, they're all pretty fun in some way or another.

Edit: Oh yeah, and whisper Ferny, Hawkian The Blade, Gojira, Ashodin Venteal, Professor Retro or Nephenee Reginleif for a GAFGuild invite and be sure to checkout Gafguild.com

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
So where are people zerging for the Halloween doors?

I went in LA last night, jumped into the costume brawl and had no idea what was going on. You just get into costume and mash buttons, without the ability to target people?

JChalmers

Neo Member
Cheers FillerB and Retro! Some really good advice there.

I did find one weapons smith but they seemed to only stock Level 80 white items. Will do some exploring again tonight and see what else I can find.

I knew they'd got rid of the "traditional" MMO classes so wanted to see what each class had to offer. May very well have a look at changing my Warrior weapons around a bit, really liking the sound of using either a Longbow or Rifle too!

Thanks for the all the tips as well and talking about the different weapon combos and the way the crafting/salvaging things work.

I'm on the EU Server so will drop a Guild Invite to someone when I'm in from work tonight.

Really appreciate the help.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ok, just got myself to level 80 and still feel completely lost.
Is there any guide on what to do and what gear to get once you reach 80?

Also, can I only enter dungeons with a group? I get completely destroyed by the first enemy on the lv 30 dungeon.
Will be kinda hard to get someone to go with me after playing solo all this time.

Do not try to solo a dungeon. It's the worst idea ever. Also, you won't succeed - I'm sure it's literally impossible.

As for 80, others will be able to tell you more since I didn't do much with my Necro at 80, but a lot of it involves farming Orr for karma and items. Karma will be used at the various vendors when they're up (something about temples being available at certain times that sell certain gear). You'll use the items you find to get the mats you need to craft the exotics/legendaries you want.

Also, you will party with folks to do dungeons to get tokens to buy cool swag. Lots of dungeons.

Retro

I'm on the EU Server so will drop a Guild Invite to someone when I'm in from work tonight.

Ah, EUGAF broke off and made their own guild to better accommodate their hours. Mulligan and Naito haven't been on in a bit, so I'm not sure what the situation is over there. See the EU section of GAFGuild for more info.

That said, you can still multi-guild and guild across servers, so getting an invite to GAF, even though it's on the NA server, means you can still talk to the majority of players. I don't think Influence buffs work (and not sure if that's intentional or a bug), or Guild Banks.

Do not try to solo a dungeon. It's the worst idea ever. Also, you won't succeed - I'm sure it's literally impossible.

Considering it de-levels you to the appropriate level, absolutely.

FillerB

EUGAF has its own Guild (NGAF) which is semi-separate (we share a forum but that's about it as far as I know) so drop an invite at either the forum or one of the EU Officers (Zvet seems to be on the most). Also give me a shout when in-game (FillerB.6305) and I'll show you around some places if you want/bugger one of the officers to send you an invite.

Kerrinck

As for 80, others will be able to tell you more since I didn't do much with my Necro at 80, but a lot of it involves farming Orr for karma and items. Karma will be used at the various vendors when they're up (something about temples being available at certain times that sell certain gear). You'll use the items you find to get the mats you need to craft the exotics/legendaries you want.

Also, you will party with folks to do dungeons to get tokens to buy cool swag. Lots of dungeons.

Thanks for the tips, will start visiting Orr then.
About the party, do I just go around messaging that I am looking for a group to do a dungeon or is there a simpler way to do this?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
About the party, do I just go around messaging that I am looking for a group to do a dungeon or is there a simpler way to do this?

Are you in the GAF guild? If so, a good start is to just ask in guild. A number of folk are always on the look out for token farming fun. If not, sitting outside the dungeon and asking in area chat or in the nearest local hub should yield some favorable results.

FillerB

Let me drop this incredibly useful guide.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/46603-faq-equipment-attributes-and-you-updated/

The important bit is that all equipment of the same level/rarity only differ in looks and stat distribution. And you don't have to farm Orr for them or craft them. That's only really necessary of the Legendaries. You can only farm the Dungeons for tokens and exchange them in Lion's Arch for equipment.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If you're interested in doing dungeons a fair bit, you're more than welcome to join the GAF guild- you can do dungeons with people even if you're not on the same server.

A recent change (karma for Dungeons!) means that doing any dungeon is now more beneficial than it used to be, so it shouldn't be too tough to find people for any. Personally I do them all the time (though SE is still broken to hell and back :D).

Completed two of my gaming goals last night (Got my SE pistol, yes!) including the scavenger hunt book, which had the side effect of giving me a new back piece (it sucks, don't freak out. looks cool though.) Got sidetracked with new content and didn't wind up playing anything else last night though. Vexa's Lab is sweeeeet. Costume brawl is mad fun (though best initiated out in the world with randoms via the cauldron).

After looking at everything that's ultimately available from this event (so far... and there is a LOT of stuff, believe me) I decided that what I want is something that not many people appear to be going for, but it's still kind of pricey. Ash and others who know what I mean, please don't spoil it because I plan to make a post with a video or gif of how it works when I get it. Hint: I'm 5/6 of the way there ;D

All in all, this event so far has been pretty damn awesome. Love that the costumes mean you might bump into Halloween antics even out in the middle of nowhere. Definitely don't understand the deal with candy corn and all the crafting mats yet, but rich candy corn veins are cool. Many of the skins are really quite cool and most are pretty reasonable for anyone to buy on the TP now.

Still waiting to see the Treasure Skritt...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Capitalism, Ho! They need to get their money from somewhere since we don't have to pay monthly fees. If it's by capitalizing on the Gem Store during big events, then so be it.
Still you can get Black Lion Keys to get Tonics to get Mad King Chests without spending any money, if you so choose.

Although... I'd consider what it is you WANT from a Mad King Chest and just go for that instead. The Mad King Chests (and Black Lion Chests year round for that matter) as supposed to be a fun gamble and nothing more than that. I think they may be being viewed the wrong way :(

Audioboxer

Just to be clear, the chests that drop the new halloween skins, can they drop from ANY mob, at ANY level? Levelling up my Necromancer, nothing so far.

FillerB

Still you can get Black Lion Keys to get Tonics to get Mad King Chests without spending any money, if you so choose.

Sure by exchanging Gold for Gems which is not really applicable now with the current inflated rate or by having one rarely drop. Both, I think you'll admit, not really options that the average player will go for during an event which can require a lot of keys if unlucky.

Giard

Although... I'd consider what it is you WANT from a Mad King Chest and just go for that instead. The Mad King Chests (and Black Lion Chests year round for that matter) as supposed to be a fun gamble and nothing more than that. I think they may be being viewed the wrong way :(

Well yeah, but I might get Krait tonics (like I got) and not Mystery tonics. If I were an Artificer, I could make myself about 4 Mad King Chests.

I guess I'll explore entire zones tonight and hope I get keys.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I might try and nolife this weekend to get my monthly done. I need tips on two things...

1) Where is a good location to farm events? I've got like, 15 or so for the monthly. I'm going to need a reliable spot to just hang out and pound through it with some podcasts blaring.

2) What hope do I have to get the salvage done if I've only got just over 100 items salvaged at this point?

Well yeah, but I might get Krait tonics (like I got) and not Mystery tonics. If I were an Artificer, I could make myself about 4 Mad King Chests.

I guess I'll explore entire zones tonight and hope I get keys.

When was the last time you opened Black Lion Chests? The tonics were changed recently to always be mystery tonics I believe.

So I might try and nolife this weekend to get my monthly done. I need tips on two things...

1) Where is a good location to farm events? I've got like, 15 or so for the monthly. I'm going to need a reliable spot to just hang out and pound through it with some podcasts blaring.

2) What hope do I have to get the salvage done if I've only got just over 100 items salvaged at this point?

Best place for events if you are 80 is cursed shore or straits of devastation, join the zerg and go at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom