• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
About the halloween event ... will the 'stage 1' scavenger hunt go away today when the next one is released? I have only done about half of it yet and need to know if I need to finish it before then new one is released
Good question, I need to get another book for my mesmer.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
And here's the last one we did, Fawcett's Bounty in Harathi Hinterlands;

Totally forgot to get that last one up for everyone to see.

I can't tell if this is a minipet or a guild member.

7l4sn.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Anyone in the mid 40s who wants a leveling partner this weekend needs to hit me up. I'll be on Mumble trying to power through!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Anyone in the mid 40s who wants a leveling partner this weekend needs to hit me up. I'll be on Mumble trying to power through!
YES. The Masque is at your service (join me and Weltall for an AC story run at some point).

Since no five hour dungeons will be occupying me tonight, I intend to first get my Halloween goodness out of the way (monster hunting like 40 more from doors), play around a bit with my new final build, and make a couple gold (quite broke).

Then I should really play some other games. :lol Damn you Mad King!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
YES. The Masque is at your service (join me and Weltall for an AC story run at some point).

Since no five hour dungeons will be occupying me tonight, I intend to first get my Halloween goodness out of the way (monster hunting like 40 more doors), play around a bit with my new final build, and make a couple gold (quite broke).

I need to:

a) Do AC story to unlock explore for later.
b) Do the new Halloween stuff if possible.
c) LEVEL

So I am VERY down. I will probably do the Halloween stuff this evening.

Achtius

I need to:

a) Do AC story to unlock explore for later.
b) Do the new Halloween stuff if possible.
c) LEVEL

So I am VERY down. I will probably do the Halloween stuff this evening.

Since no five hour dungeons will be occupying me tonight, I intend to first get my Halloween goodness out of the way (monster hunting like 40 more from doors), play around a bit with my new final build, and make a couple gold (quite broke).

my warrior still need to do story, so let me know when! pm me on gaf if u can't find me :3

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Lookin like maybe Saturday afternoon?

Whatever, I love that dungeon and I need money, I'll do it as many times as people want this weekend.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I had to take a break yesterday. I didn't want to burnout on the Halloween stuff when phase 2 starts today! So I'm all bright eyed and bushy tailed now. All ready to run circles around doors and snatch up treat bags.
For such a grindy activity, the door zerg is REALLY addictive.

I don't get it. It's like... okay I should go but... one more door

I'm lvl 56 now and slowly making my way up to the level cap so I have no experience with dungeons outside of the first three, do later dungeons take 5 hours to complete?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I had to take a break yesterday. I didn't want to burnout on the Halloween stuff when phase 2 starts today! So I'm all bright eyed and bushy tailed now. All ready to run circles around doors and snatch up treat bags.

This weekend will be glorious!

I'm lvl 56 now and slowly making my way up to the level cap so I have no experience with dungeons outside of the first three, do later dungeons take 5 hours to complete?

No, they're just hard/frustrating if you don't have a good group for them.

Vossler

I really need to do some other Dungeons with my Ranger, but I have to complete the story mode first. Tonight, assuming I get out of Orlando and back home, I think I may try twilight arbor, or HotW. Also, if anyone has around a level 15ish alt, I would be open to grind away on my guardian and get some phat halloween door loots!

I really need to do some other Dungeons with my Ranger, but I have to complete the story mode first. Tonight, assuming I get out of Orlando and back home, I think I may try twilight arbor, or HotW. Also, if anyone has around a level 15ish alt, I would be open to grind away on my guardian and get some phat halloween door loots!

Only the leader needs to of completed story line to get explorable to show up. I did several explorable on my Ranger without touching the story mode.

alexel

No, I think even the path that they did doesn't take that long and was mainly caused by Hawkian having connection issues and not being able to perform normally. That being said, Arah does seem to be the longest dungeon in the game and could take multiple hours to complete a path. Path 3 is probably the easiest and the quickest I've done it is about 50 mins or so (with a lot of skipping of mobs through the run).

Been playing a little more. I'm in the guild now, thanks Hawkian--my thief is named Footpants.

I've actually started playing more as my Ranger and am starting to enjoy that class. The thing that I'm enjoying is that the utility skills seem useful, or rather fun for my wants in a game! The traps have low cooldowns and actually are usable. I was finding that as Guardian I didn't like that all of my utilities were just stat boosts (or a floaty sword...). I haven't played enough as thief, but it looks like more of the same sort of boosts as Guardian. (My ranger is Laserbot, btw.)

I'm having trouble deciding on weapons though. Shortbow is really fun, and I want to stick with that (positioning yourself on the side/behind to stack bleeds is glorious). But I can't decide on the swap. I'm assuming an AoE combo is best, but the ranger seems to have crap for sustained AoE. =|

Also, pets--is there any customization beyond just naming them? Seems that they obviously have different stats based on the kind of animal, but is there any way for me to improve or spec my bear--or is a bear just a bear?

Levyne

Banned
Also, pets--is there any customization beyond just naming them? Seems that they obviously have different stats based on the kind of animal, but is there any way for me to improve or spec my bear--or is a bear just a bear?

The Beastmastery trait line is the closest thing. There's traits that make pets do conditions on criticals, gain fury if swapped out repeatedly, gives them better regen, or strengthen them as long as they don't die, etc.

Been playing a little more. I'm in the guild now, thanks Hawkian--my thief is named Footpants.

I've actually started playing more as my Ranger and am starting to enjoy that class. The thing that I'm enjoying is that the utility skills seem useful, or rather fun for my wants in a game! The traps have low cooldowns and actually are usable. I was finding that as Guardian I didn't like that all of my utilities were just stat boosts (or a floaty sword...). I haven't played enough as thief, but it looks like more of the same sort of boosts as Guardian. (My ranger is Laserbot, btw.)

I'm having trouble deciding on weapons though. Shortbow is really fun, and I want to stick with that (positioning yourself on the side/behind to stack bleeds is glorious). But I can't decide on the swap. I'm assuming an AoE combo is best, but the ranger seems to have crap for sustained AoE. =|

I have a level 80 Ranger in full exotics so I'll do my best to answer.

Shortbow will give you the fastest dps, especially with the ability to stack bleeds (although nerfed heavily from beta) Quickening Zehpyr + shortbow is insane.

For a swap, I tend to use longbows for events mainly due to barrage and using it to make sure I get taps on mobs. For dungeons and solo I use sword + warhorn offhand. The buffs off the warhorn are nice for grouping and the sword is nice because it gives you the ability to roll around your target as well as leap back if you need to get away.

Pets are up to you, I tend to use a tanky pet, like a bear for when I solo. For groups and dungeons, any of the ranged pets work well. I tend to like spiders with the aoe poison fields as any combo field is always an added bonus to the group. Most pets are pretty similar, just look at their F2 skills and find one that meshes well with your group. Fern Hounds have a regen, and the Alpine Wolf has a chill (severely underrated condition)

Rangers are one of the hardest hitting single target classes out there because they can focus all their skills on one target at range and stack conditions through the roof. Focus on that and you will do well.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Arah is something of its own level of dungeon, but we had all manner of external issues. We didn't finish with the same 5 we started with, and I couldn't finish at all *sigh*

All the other dungeons have at least one path that can absolutely be reliably done in under an hour. CoF has a path that literally takes 15 minutes. It is laughable.

No, I think even the path that they did doesn't take that long and was mainly caused by Hawkian having connection issues and not being able to perform normally. That being said, Arah does seem to be the longest dungeon in the game and could take multiple hours to complete a path. Path 3 is probably the easiest and the quickest I've done it is about 50 mins or so (with a lot of skipping of mobs through the run).
Was path 2 for us I think, An hour+ was learning, perfecting, and executing our strategy against Lupicus before my connection issues. Knowing that fight now (I dramatically changed my spec/traits just for that fight) would probably make it doable in 2 hours without too much issue (assuming the fucking "hey catch this light ball" part goes okay)

Arah is something of its own level of dungeon, but we had all manner of external issues. We didn't finish with the same 5 we started with, and I couldn't finish at all *sigh*

All the other dungeons have at least one path that can absolutely be reliably done in under an hour. CoF has a path that literally takes 15 minutes. It is laughable.

Was path 2 for us I think, An hour+ was learning, perfecting, and executing our strategy against Lupicus before my connection issues. Knowing that fight now (I dramatically changed my spec/traits just for that fight) would probably make it doable in 2 hours without too much issue (assuming the fucking "hey catch this light ball" part goes okay)

Got it, thanks for clearing things up. Relative MMO novice but I've run the first two dungeons 2 or 3 times each typically around an hour or so at a time. Would've been terrible if later dungeons represented that much of a time sink imo.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Got it, thanks for clearing things up. Relative MMO novice but I've run the first two dungeons 2 or 3 times each typically around an hour or so at a time. Would've been terrible if later dungeons represented that much of a time sink imo.
Honestly, I really do think Arah should be treated differently than all other dungeons. It has 4 paths instead of 3, and all 4 involve an incredibly tough fight that isn't the final boss, and there is just a lot of testing your group's knowledge and preparedness to be able to make it through smoothly, which wouldn't be exactly short either.

I'll also mention Sorrow's Embrace. Until you hear otherwise, only do the Military path (path 3), which is fun and reasonable. It is a very broken dungeon on paths 1 and 2. May be being fixed soon.

Damn got forced out, when you are in a story quest and you hit the little icon leave the instance it will force you out to the update....

So I hit level 80 last night on my Mesmer. I guess my next goal is to do the halloween stuff and farm some gold.

I have heard people say you can make 10-15G in a couple of hours just chaining events around Orr and selling every drop you get on the AH. Is this true? Is that the best way to go about getting gold? I want to get gold to level up the last of my tailoring and artificing on my main, then i want to level an alt largely via crafting as well.

nataku

About the halloween event ... will the 'stage 1' scavenger hunt go away today when the next one is released? I have only done about half of it yet and need to know if I need to finish it before then new one is released

No, everything sticks around according to a post on the GW2 forums. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Here.

AnthonyOrdon said:
Everything in Act 1 will be available until the end.

etiolate

Banned
So I hit level 80 last night on my Mesmer. I guess my next goal is to do the halloween stuff and farm some gold.

I have heard people say you can make 10-15G in a couple of hours just chaining events around Orr and selling every drop you get on the AH. Is this true? Is that the best way to go about getting gold? I want to get gold to level up the last of my tailoring and artificing on my main, then i want to level an alt largely via crafting as well.

I think you need a good magic find set to be making that sort of money.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, 3-5G a night is definitely reasonable for Orr, 10-15G you're gonna be needing some outside assistance.

Also, don't sell every drop you get on the AH. Whites and blues and greens that aren't being bought go to the vendor.

Yeah, 3-5G a night is definitely reasonable for Orr, 10-15G you're gonna be needing some outside assistance.

Also, don't sell every drop you get on the AH. Whites and blues and greens that aren't being bought go to the vendor.

When you say "a night" how many hours does this usually entail? Money has been an absolute bitch for me in this game from buying plans in W3 to trying to get my crafting up to just repairs in general.

Granted, I'm only lvl 65 but it seems like I should have more than 1.5g (and that was BEFORE I started doing my crafting stuff!).

Good to know, although even 3-5G a night is a ton. I have made 4-5g total going 1-80.

I have never been this lucky, I have all MF gear, use MF booster's, plus guild MF and the most I have made chaining events is 4g in 3hours, I remember chaining events for 2 days and not seeing a single rare drop, I have come to the conclusion my account is broken. I know a person who doesn't use MF gear and gets 4-5 rare every event...

I have never been this lucky, I have all MF gear, use MF booster's, plus guild MF and the most I have made chaining events is 4g in 3hours, I remember chaining events for 2 days and not seeing a single rare drop, I have come to the conclusion my account is broken. I know a person who doesn't use MF gear and gets 4-5 rare every event...

I must be lucky so far then. I got two rares just doing events I stumbled across on my way to story quest locations.

Edit:
Is there a particular zone that is best for event chaining?

LaneDS

Do world transfers cost money now? Put the game on hold right before Torchlight 2 and Borderlands 2 hit, but would like to play again and might as well switch to where there is some community with you GAF folks. Was on Henge (do they still steamroll in WvWvW?) but don't really care about how successful a world is.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That is a bit much. I always forget to even eat MF food before Orr farming and I'll usually get a rare per session (5-6 events).

Okay, I've been rethinking and it'll take me longer than I wanted to pull off everything I want to, but I have big plans.

Stuff I want to do this weekend.

1. COF runs. A fair few of em; I need 250 more tokens. Anybody know if all three paths are reasonably doable?
2. COE runs. I know them all well, anyone who wants anything from this dungeon let's hit it up. Make some good money if they go smooth!
3. WvW... gotta get it done soon anyway and the monthly bonus would very much come in handy for my plans.
4. Anything that makes me gold.

edit: Hey Lane! Henge is no longer the titan (heh) it once was. Server transfers for the moment are free but limited to one per 24 hours. Stormbluff Isle is consistently among the highest ranked servers. This week's matchup has frankly been fantastic (come from behind on our part to reclaim the lead from Jade Quarry last night).
I must be lucky so far then. I got two rares just doing events I stumbled across on my way to story quest locations.

Edit:
Is there a particular zone that is best for event chaining?
I prefer Straits of Devastation for money; Cursed Shore for karma. Nobody else in the world but me enjoys Malchor's Leap :(

leng jai

Also keep in mind that the Mesmer is the absolute worst class when it comes to farming loot in Orr zergs. The reason I say this is because we are terrible at tagging mobs due to our lack of decent AOE moves.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Poor Adriaaa.

On a related note quickly running the game's fastest dungeon paths is quite good money too (Mesmers are amazing in dungeons).

You get 26 silver for the first path of a dungeon per day (Story included!).

AC has two champion mobs (which eventually feel like complete pushovers) that each drop 5 silver guaranteed (7 with gold nomnoms).

You can definitely make on the order of an average of 1 gold an hour (reasonably similar to Orr farming) if you're good at dungeons. The difference is you need a competent group of 5, versus a spot in the zerg.

Hmm okay I'm also down for CM explorable runs this weekend.

Also keep in mind that the Mesmer is the absolute worst class when it comes to farming loot in Orr zergs. The reason I say this is because we are terrible at tagging mobs due to our lack of decent AOE moves.

I have noticed that a bit, but it's been getting better now that I switched to this condition/quick clone build. I might switch back to Staff/Greatsword though, as Staff/Sword+Pistol is slightly worse for tagging mobs because the greatsword has more aoe potential. I got the extra bounce trait and deceptive decoy or whatever so I can basically non-stop pop out clones. I just try to target a big group, shit out clones and then shatter them to tag stuff, and use my chaos storm on another group to get tags. With the Deceptive Decoy trait, as well as mirror images and decoy you are basically never without clones. Since the shatter is aoe it can be handy for tagging groups. Still, I find you're right and it can be a pain in the ass. If you miss a shatter you're pretty much SOL.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I have noticed that a bit, but it's been getting better now that I switched to this condition/quick clone build. Staff/Greatsword though, as Staff/Sword+Pistol is slightly worse for tagging mobs because the greatsword has more aoe potential. I got the extra bounce trait and deceptive decoy or whatever so I can basically non-stop pop out clones. I just try to target a big group, shit out clones and then shatter them to tag stuff, and use my chaos storm on another group to get tags. With the Deceptive Decoy trait, as well as mirror images and decoy you are basically never without clones. Since the shatter is aoe it can be handy for tagging groups. Still, I find you're right and it can be a pain in the ass. If you miss a shatter you're pretty much SOL.
That's what I was thinking I'd do. Absolutely no doubt they have to work harder at the tagging metagame than most classes.

Ironically this is where eles seem to shine like polished gold, they put my shortbow thief to shaaame.

That's what I was thinking I'd do. Absolutely no doubt they have to work harder at the tagging metagame than most classes.

Ironically this is where eles seem to shine like polished gold, they put my shortbow thief to shaaame.

The absolute worst was when I was doing a greatsword/phantasm direct damage build. I would tag like two or three monsters in a group of 10-15.

Now I can get 3 clones out and have them running in for a shatter before the melees get in range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom