• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

My necro looks the part now with his halloween book (and my small bone minion family) :p

gw049.jpg

Love playing Necro so far, not really been paying attention to all the complaints, simply enjoying the class at the pace I can make it go at.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My Guardian is not 80 yet. I'd do that with my Necro, but I simply cannot stand playing my Necro right now. Guardian is 43...
I think Bloodtide Coast is pretty great. There's this cave with a multi-event chain...

Also if event completion is all you need don't forget Plains of Ashford :p
Well yeah, but I might get Krait tonics (like I got) and not Mystery tonics. If I were an Artificer, I could make myself about 4 Mad King Chests.

I guess I'll explore entire zones tonight and hope I get keys.
May I ask, what do you hope to get from the Mad King chests?

mingus

So I might try and nolife this weekend to get my monthly done. I need tips on two things...

1) Where is a good location to farm events? I've got like, 15 or so for the monthly. I'm going to need a reliable spot to just hang out and pound through it with some podcasts blaring.

2) What hope do I have to get the salvage done if I've only got just over 100 items salvaged at this point?

On the topic of salvaging, I've heard some people just go to a generic weapon/armor vendor and buy a butt load of the cheapest lvl 5 stuff and do their entire salvaging in one sitting.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
My Guardian is not 80 yet. I'd do that with my Necro, but I simply cannot stand playing my Necro right now. Guardian is 43...

What I love about this statement is that I'm currently the opposite. Love my Necro, kinda hate my Guardian. Played my Guardian for the first time since making my Necro and the swapping of the hotkeys due to retaliation nerf drove me nuts. Stupid muscle memory.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
What I love about this statement is that I'm currently the opposite. Love my Necro, kinda hate my Guardian. Played my Guardian for the first time since making my Necro and the swapping of the hotkeys due to retaliation nerf drove me nuts. Stupid muscle memory.

Not sure what the retaliation nerf is, but since I'm only level 43, I may not have really noticed it. :)

Also, everyone should support this because it's a FANTASTIC idea: More Reddit!

Deitus

Well yeah, but I might get Krait tonics (like I got) and not Mystery tonics. If I were an Artificer, I could make myself about 4 Mad King Chests.

I guess I'll explore entire zones tonight and hope I get keys.

Actually, I just checked, and the Mystery Tonics made via Artificing are considered a separate item from the ones found in Black Lion Chests. Crafted Mystery Tonics cannot be used to make Mad King Chests.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Sure by exchanging Gold for Gems which is not really applicable now with the current inflated rate or by having one rarely drop. Both, I think you'll admit, not really options that the average player will go for during an event which can require a lot of keys if unlucky.

You can get keys by sometimes completing maps, sometimes as story rewards, and sometimes as random drops.

"I know it's not much, but in my /age of over 150 hours, I've never seen one. My other friend has at least twice that and hasn't seen one drop, either. :("

I got like 3 the first time I went to Orr and then never again. I get the vibe that they might've been silently removed from high end loot tables.

Jetman

Has anyone here ever done this secret passageway thing in Lions Arch, near the SouthEastern Vista point? A co-worker was telling me that you have to find a way to jump into the mouth of the lion in the side of the mountain without dying with a maze and a chest waiting for you at the bottom or something? If so, how many more of these secret litle areas exist?

Retro

Has anyone here ever done this secret passageway thing in Lions Arch, near the SouthEastern Vista point? A co-worker was telling me that you have to find a way to jump into the mouth of the lion in the side of the mountain without dying with a maze and a chest waiting for you at the bottom or something? If so, how many more of these secret litle areas exist?

It's actually a shark (Thus, Sharkmaw Caverns), it has a lot more than just a maze, and there are tons of hidden areas like that. Lots of jumping puzzles. GAFGuild has weekly jumping puzzle events where we all get on and do them together (except this week because of halloween). Very fun.

Jetman

It's actually a shark (Thus, Sharkmaw Caverns), it has a lot more than just a maze, and there are tons of hidden areas like that. Lots of jumping puzzles. GAFGuild has weekly jumping puzzle events where we all get on and do them together (except this week because of halloween). Very fun.

Awesome. I always see you guys mentioning doing the jumping puzzles, but I kind of just do those on my own while (I'm assuming all of the jumping puzzles are Vista Points) I'm zone exploring. I may have to just join up with you guys for a few of these for laughs. Very cool about the hidden areas, I'll have to scour the internet to see what I can see, if you guys know any by zone off the top of your head, give me a heads up!

Retro

Awesome. I always see you guys mentioning doing the jumping puzzles, but I kind of just do those on my own while (I'm assuming all of the jumping puzzles are Vista Points) I'm zone exploring. I may have to just join up with you guys for a few of these for laughs. Very cool about the hidden areas, I'll have to scour the internet to see what I can see, if you guys know any by zone off the top of your head, give me a heads up!

Actually, Sharkmaw seems to be the exception, as most aren't marked by anything, let alone having a vista right on their doorstep. There are actually a total of three JPs in Lion's Arch, so that's a good place to start looking.

Be sure to register at GAFGuild.com, as new jumping puzzle events will always have their own announcement right on the front page.

If you're looking for more, there are four in Caledon Forest; Morgan's Spiral is the easiest to find, Spelunker's Delve is the easiest to do, Spekk's Lab is the coolest and Dark Reverie is the most annoying. Here's a group shot we all took after Spekk's Lab a few weeks ago;

And here's the last one we did, Fawcett's Bounty in Harathi Hinterlands;

Totally forgot to get that last one up for everyone to see.

Beepos

So I'm justabout to finish my personal story and reach level 80 and I want to know what I can do next. I'm not really clued into all the little specifics of GW2 and always get confused with MMOs. This is purely PvE - I'll get more into PvP and WvWvW later.

From my understanding I can (and please correct any points if I'm mistaken):

Grind dungeons to get tokens for cool looking armour and gear based on that dungeon theme?
Get Karma for other cosmetic gear like cultural which I believe is more cool looking stuff right?
100% world completion which I will do.
Aim to get a legendary which will probably take years from what I’ve seen. Combining Karma, skillpoints and crazy crafting at insane levels.
Finish jumping puzzles - is there a list for this anywhere?
Get more achievements which will be fun.

Anything I miss? Please keep in mind I have no issues grinding anything as I love this game. I just want to focus on what goal I can go ahead and do so I'm not running around aimlessly like I was in GW1 after finishing all the campaigns - trying to figure out what I should aim for.

gotee12

Wow. I got a black lion chest and key within minutes of each other around level 3 (I've only had the game a week). I assumed I got them from doing a personal story quest. /outlier

Rarutos

nicoga3000 said:
I know it's not much, but in my /age of over 150 hours, I've never seen one. My other friend has at least twice that and hasn't seen one drop, either. :(

I've gotten some Black Lion Keys from enemies before... But I haven't gotten any at all after a certain point, and it's been a while since I have. I'm thinking they may have phased them out on a certain update or something. :(

Edit: Oh well, apparently the person above me found one recently... Never mind about phasing them out then?

So I'm justabout to finish my personal story and reach level 80 and I want to know what I can do next. I'm not really clued into all the little specifics of GW2 and always get confused with MMOs. This is purely PvE - I'll get more into PvP and WvWvW later.

Grind dungeons to get tokens for cool looking armour and gear based on that dungeon theme?
Get Karma for other cosmetic gear like cultural which I believe is more cool looking stuff right?
Aim to get a legendary which will probably take years from what I’ve seen. Combining Karma, skillpoints and crazy crafting at insane levels.

Anything I miss? Please keep in mind I have no issues grinding anything as I love this game. I just want to focus on what goal I can go ahead and do so I'm not running around aimlessly like I was in GW1 after finishing all the campaigns - trying to figure out what I should aim for.

There's the Mystic Forge to play around with especially since it can produce some cool weapons. It's still a huge time/money sink but the recipes to make said weapons are out there.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Doesn't have much to do with being 80 per se but... right now, until the end of the month, there's a TON of other stuff to work toward if you're so inclined. Um... are you in-game at the moment?

edit: Oh and stuff you did miss. Mystic Forge crafting (lots of unique weapon skins availble), zone meta events (I guess you could put it in a list with jumping puzzles)... alts! Gotta get those other two order member achievements.

Recently I've also started to consider grinding gold for stuff in the Gem store a kind of endgame. Don't think I'll be able to afford the costumes in time, though.

Audioboxer

Heh thanks for pointing this out, just did my first ever jumping puzzle! Quite cool.

The reward chest at the end gives loot depending on level right? Wouldn't it be best for me to wait till I'm a higher level to do such puzzles? (Only level 12).

Karma on your dailies being account bound = BRILLIANT

The karma jugs for dailies are one of my unexpected favorite things about the update. They should help make legendaries and high-end karma gear way more attainable for those of us who don't want to karma grind, as long as we're diligent about dailies/monthlies and stick with it for a while. I'm a big fan of that style of system.

Audίoboxer;43614022 said:
Heh thanks for pointing this out, just did my first ever jumping puzzle! Quite cool.

The reward chest at the end gives loot depending on level right? Wouldn't it be best for me to wait till I'm a higher level to do such puzzles? (Only level 12).

They're repeatable every day, so don't worry about it. And the gear generally doesn't scale to level very well (though this was improved in the recent update).

Deitus

They're repeatable every day, so don't worry about it. And the gear generally doesn't scale to level very well (though this was improved in the recent update).

And more than that, the gear typically isn't very good. Even if you have no intention of ever repeating jumping puzzles, you should still go ahead and do them now, rather than wait til level 80. You will be sorely disappointed if you wait til level 80 to do all of the jumping puzzles, only to be rewarded with a couple of blue items for each puzzle. In the lower levels there is a chance those items might be useful to you, but at 80, blues are basically useful for vendor trash or for salvage.

Just did the scavenger hunt on my level 5 asura, was completely naked by the time I got to the last ghost, but it is totally doable on a lowbie. Had quite a few people stop to rez me back up and then help me through the last dungeon area.

markot

Banned
My problem with the chests is that they are underwhelming all the time >.<

They need to add things to them.

I mean, even Valve keys are generally more rewarding.

Audioboxer

Just did the scavenger hunt on my level 5 asura, was completely naked by the time I got to the last ghost, but it is totally doable on a lowbie. Had quite a few people stop to rez me back up and then help me through the last dungeon area.

Yeah I took all my armour off, it was getting trashed. As long as you do the run when it's busy on the server you get there eventually - If it's quiet you have no chance (can't kill any enemies).

Me just about to do the maze/jump puzzle

gw050.jpg

Kingbrave

Aud&#943;oboxer;43616474 said:
Yeah I took all my armour off, it was getting trashed. As long as you do the run when it's busy on the server you get there eventually - If it's quiet you have no chance (can't kill any enemies).

Me just about to do the maze/jump puzzle

gw050.jpg

Grank won't eat you...you look spoiled...no want tummy ache...blech

JChalmers

Neo Member
So played some more last night, think I'm continuing my Thief now.

Got my Warrior a little higher but mucking around with the weapon sets I couldn't find something to stick.

Took on the Thief again and after finding an amazing sword I'm now only up to 8 but running with a Sword/Dagger combo and Dual Pistols at the moment (when I find a decent Shortbow I'll switch).

After your recommendations been salvaging loads and getting a wealth of mats for crafting soon. Think I'm going to be looking at Leatherworking and either Weaponsmith or Huntsman, depends on whether I want ranged or melee weapons.

Quick question if I swap crafting traits (Weaponsmith and Huntsman) will this erase everything I've learned and I'll have to relearn the recipes again?

FillerB

Quick question if I swap crafting traits (Weaponsmith and Huntsman) will this erase everything I've learned and I'll have to relearn the recipes again?

Nope. All progress in a craft (recipes, level, experience) is kept when swapping crafting disciplines. I think it just that the more you know, the more it costs to swap to but I'm not sure on that.

Morokh

Getting really annoyed with how small guns/rifles look on an Asura, and i'm really considering rerolling Charr Engineer, and find a class for my Asura where the size of the weapons won't bother me as much (the game being entirely around gear-skin is getting to me lol)

I haven't really done anything special with my character yet so it won't be a real problem, but i'm sitting on 46k Karma ... what could I buy with it to either make money with the TP or get something useful for my new characters ? ( and same with skill points)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just did a 6 hour ARAH speed run. Feels good man.

Did you get tokens Hawkian?
I didn't get anything, but as long as the 4 of you did, I'm glad I stuck with the run.

I'm a little torn about Arah, or more accurately, that the original scenario of "5 tokens per chest" was just dropped when it so clearly is the only thing standing between the path we were doing and total lunacy- and I'm assuming it wasn't the hardest of the 4.

Investing that much time in a dungeon necessarily isn't a bad thing to ask of your players, especially when it's their first time and everything needs to be learned. It's a well-made dungeon and then fights (even Lupicus in retrospect) are fair, if requiring a lot more coordination than most other bosses.

The problem is that a lot can happen over the course of 5 and a half hours. In my case that was Comcast deciding to give me the old in-out during the last hour. Made me completely unable to help the team or stay reliably connected, which made the rest of the team struggle more, and then got stuck/lagged on completion, so had to leave to ensure everybody else got the rewards.

If I had 15 or 10 or 5 tokens from the run to show for it (or even a single rare), I'd feel a lot more like I actually progressed by spending that much time on a dungeon and missing out on the reward. When the chests had tokens, you'd feel like at every one you got a "reward checkpoint" meaning if you failed or had to quit, you had something to show for the work up to that point. Last's night's run just cost me 15 silver with no reward and the reason I couldn't complete it didn't even have anything to do with the game.

Oh well; since we did finish the run I'm still glad I went. I won't be running the dungeon again unless it's much earlier in the day though.

edit: Shout out to katoki for coming through in the clutch. Adriaaa said we wouldn't leave that dungeon without beating it and by gum he was right.

Audioboxer

After doing a jumping puzzle with an Asura I have to think Charr/Norn must struggle a little at times with perception? You're that chunky/big your brain has to think at times, never making that/fitting on platform?

LkPr

About the halloween event ... will the 'stage 1' scavenger hunt go away today when the next one is released? I have only done about half of it yet and need to know if I need to finish it before then new one is released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom