• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you feel about not having a secondary ranged weapon? I'm using GS/rifle, and I'm not sure I could live without having a rifle on me all the time.
I get by just fine without one. There's not very many situations in PvE where I actually need range of some sort. Every time I do pull out the rifle I just end up missing the CC of the hammer or the DPS of the greatsword.

Arcteryx

You get about 350 karma per event on Orr. You need 42k karma per piece of exotic gear.

You should have a decent amount of karma from just simply leveling to 80. I had near enough to get 2 pieces of Karma gear at 80 right away.

As for farming it: assuming you take a break and don't stick around during diminishing returns in Orr, it shouldn't take you much more than a couple days to get 42k again. Do the karma train, hop around to other Orr zones to do some events, it goes pretty quick.

Ken

Damn, those prices are steep. Haven't been able to log in a while, has the TP been fairly stable lately?

It was stable until the most recent patch.

^I had about 60k karma at 80.

@Retro

I dislike that I have to spend karma for diversity; why can't the random drops have diverse looks.

It might be because I enjoy messing around with my build and doing so much experimentation that I don't find it getting stale. Playing on the RP server helps a bunch, too. But I also wanted to see how much it affected me in WvW (and it does - A LOT. 14k damage sniper shots ftw), which served as a big incentive on its own. (It's worth noting, however, that I'm trying specifically to wean myself away from the "skinner box" mindset that makes me chase after a carrot on a stick all the damn time.)

Tarnished Coast high-five!

I'm not an RPer, but I have been enjoying the more laid-back atmosphere. It seems like the map chat gets a lot more bitter when I'm in a cross-server overflow.

I've been enjoying the progression too -- I kind of stayed in a rut with my build for the first ~40 levels, but now that I'm playing around with more wildly different builds, I'm discovering a lot of new and interesting play styles. And the game is extremely flexible about letting you hop around between story missions, dungeons, PvP, or just exploring and hopping into DEs. It's never hard to find something else to do if you're bored.

Wallach

I dislike that I have to spend karma for diversity; why can't the random drops have diverse looks.

More importantly I think, crafting needs to offer much more visual variety. There's actually a lot more diversity in the random drops than in lower-level crafting which makes zero sense to me. They did a good job encouraging people to use crafting to gear themselves, and then it winds up creating a negative sentiment about the armor visuals because people just see the same shit for dozens of levels.

Um, are you guys just completely ignoring the karma vendors? Because they have unique armor and weapon skins all over the place (changes with every level tier, too - that is to say, every 10 levels).

That aside, I still don't understand the complaints about progression. I got some pretty badass traits leveling up, in addition to finding plenty of gear upgrades (ESPECIALLY when I would go up a grade), and leveling is fast enough that you have time to do plenty of experimentation.

I think an issue with the progression not being there is because of the scaling making it often not feel like your really progressing that much outside of being able to takle the higher level stuff, but being in a lowbie zone and having a boar able to fuck you up screws with a persons perception. Scaling in rpgs always is touchy thing it seems.

Arcteryx

More importantly I think, crafting needs to offer much more visual variety. There's actually a lot more diversity in the random drops than in lower-level crafting which makes zero sense to me. They did a good job encouraging people to use crafting to gear themselves, and then it winds up creating a negative sentiment about the armor visuals because people just see the same shit for dozens of levels.

I'd LOVE for some MMO to incorporate a way to actually "design" the armor styles. As someone levels up their crafting profession they get access to more "options" and can then pick an choose to make the gear look however they want.

Audioboxer

You should have a decent amount of karma from just simply leveling to 80. I had near enough to get 2 pieces of Karma gear at 80 right away.

As for farming it: assuming you take a break and don't stick around during diminishing returns in Orr, it shouldn't take you much more than a couple days to get 42k again. Do the karma train, hop around to other Orr zones to do some events, it goes pretty quick.

You shouldn't have to wait till 80 to get the 'cool' armour*. And at those prices?

For a game that prides itself on looks being more important than grinding specific stat items, it sorely lacks. Dye is not enough to make up for a lack of armour designs to keep the dream alive ArenaNet have for bypassing stat gear grinding (you essentially need to grind for karma anyway....).

* Yes end level gear in any MMO tends to be the most special, but most other games have interesting gear along the way as well.

Retro

I get by just fine without one. There's not very many situations in PvE where I actually need range of some sort. Every time I do pull out the rifle I just end up missing the CC of the hammer or the DPS of the greatsword.

Echoing this comment. I usually run Sword/Axe and Rifle when I'm just out and about, but I carry every weapon type with me (as a warrior, that's a lot of them, honestly) and just switch out to whatever's the best option. Enemy descriptions tell you a lot before you engage them; for example, anything that regenerates health, I go sword/sword to stack bleeds to negate their regen. Some stuff I want mace/shield for the daze/stuns.

That, more than anything, is what gives Warriors a huge advantage; they can equip so many weapons (more than any other class) so they have a lot of diversity they can bring to bear... so long as they aren't in combat and can't swap.

I can't speak for the other armor classes, but for plate there seems to be three 'sets' that drop randomly early on; chainmail, ringmail and scaled 'sets'. Pretty sure Ringmail is the starter set, but I find the Scaled stuff to be really nice. As you go on, you also get 'worn scale' and 'worn chain' sets. They're not very diverse, but for sub-30 gear it's not bad compared to other MMOs I've played. Dyes help a lot, something most other games don't offer (or when they do, they're much more stingy with the variety).

I don't see the point in amassing karma as you level anyways, since you get so little of it early and so much of it later. Is 1000 karma at level 30 going to kill you in the long run when you're looking at items that are 50k in cost? Doesn't seem to bother me, but maybe I'm just weird because I'm taking my time and enjoying the ride.

Sora_N

Does every race wear the same regular armor and each profession wears the same stuff right? Only the cultural armors differ?

Just starting out but how armor looks matters to me. I'm undecided which class/race to play right now.

Audioboxer

Does every race wear the same regular armor and each profession wears the same stuff right? Only the cultural armors differ?

Just starting out but how armor looks matters to me. I'm undecided which class/race to play right now.

Some professions get some unique items (like Engineer eye piece/Necromancer face decals/ect). But by level 10 you'll be wearing the same light/medium/heavy armour as everyone else.

Wallach

I'd LOVE for some MMO to incorporate a way to actually "design" the armor styles. As someone levels up their crafting profession they get access to more "options" and can then pick an choose to make the gear look however they want.

I totally thought that the "satchels" crafters could make were visual skin unlocks. Kind of like the skins you get from the gem store; single use consumables that were essentially a transmute stone and the visual skin in one thing. Instead they're just bags full of the armor itself, requiring the same cost investment of the actual armor. Really wish crafters could make something like that at a somewhat reduced cost, but also had a single-use effect so that a transmutation stone wasn't necessary the first time.

Ken

Warriors and guardians wear heavy armor.
Thieves, engineers, and rangers wear medium armor.
Elementalist, necromanced, and Mesmer wear light armor.

So yeah, if you're a medium armor user you'll probably look like any other medium armor user.

Race will affect what cultural armor you get though, and that's race specific as you know.

Audίoboxer;42351384 said:
You shouldn't have to wait till 80 to get the 'cool' armour*. And at those prices?

For a game that prides itself on looks being more important than grinding specific stat items, it sorely lacks. Dye is not enough to make up for a lack of armour designs to keep the dream alive ArenaNet have for bypassing stat gear grinding (you essentially need to grind for karma anyway....).

* Yes end level gear in any MMO tends to be the most special, but most other games have interesting gear along the way as well.

This is a complaint in every MMO I have ever played. I don't know which MMOs you have been playing that have great looking leveling gear.

Audioboxer

I would like to add one thing they definitely got right are the transmute stones, no one in any MMO now should be forced to wear certain armour styles simply for stats - The stats should be transferable on eligible armour. In an easy way like GW2 as well, another thing I do like about the game is a lot of the stupid decisions in WoW to increase your playtime (with crafting for example) are not seen here.

Diversity though as I've badgered on about, is simply not up to par in GW2 IMO. Especially not at 'normal' levelling levels. Some of us really enjoy the levelling process and don't want to rush to 80, we need to be catered for as well and not told keep waiting till 80.

This is a complaint in every MMO I have ever played. I don't know which MMOs you have been playing that have great looking leveling gear.

'Great looking' is subjective, having a range of styles is simply a fact or not. GW2 doesn't have enough styles IMO, especially when levelling.

Audίoboxer;42351755 said:
'Great looking' is subjective, having a range of styles is simply a fact or not. GW2 doesn't have enough styles IMO.

Well then yes I agree with you its not very diverse but I think you underrate how much being able to dye your gear affects the range. In WoW/SWToR/EQ you could have 10 different Robes/Pants/Etc for your Mage and the only difference was color.

Vossler

So far, level 53 here, the best looking medium armor I've found is my HOM armor. The rest make me look to piratey, which may be fine for today (talk like a pirate day), but I don't want my ranger looking like a pirate. The first tier cultural mask is actually pretty cool too.

Also, sorry to those that I was supposed to do a AC explore run with last night, my computer decided to continually BSOD. Fixed it now, so will be good to go tomorrow night!

Sora_N

Audίoboxer;42351585 said:
Some professions get some unique items (like Engineer eye piece/Necromancer face decals/ect). But by level 10 you'll be wearing the same light/medium/heavy armour as everyone else.

Cool I didn't realize those differences as well!

Warriors and guardians wear heavy armor.
Thieves, engineers, and rangers wear medium armor.
Elementalist, necromanced, and Mesmer wear light armor.

So yeah, if you're a medium armor user you'll probably look like any other medium armor user.

Race will affect what cultural armor you get though, and that's race specific as you know.

Yeah that's pretty much what I was wondering, just trying to decide what to start off as.

Audioboxer

Well then yes I agree with you its not very diverse but I think you underrate how much being able to dye your gear affects the range. In WoW/SWToR/EQ you could have 10 different Robes/Pants/Etc for your Mage and the only difference was color.

Dye is great in Guild Wars, truly an element which will be sorely missed if others (other MMOs/games that is) don't emulate now. Especially as you can change individual pieces and not be forced for your chosen dye to drown your whole outfit.

The drop rates seem a little naff at times for me, but the auction house and initial selection are sufficient.

Even with the dye though, especially psychologically, it's hard to shift the feeling that you don't really look different for large portions of play. A large part of gaming is feeding gamers pretty candy and watching them believe their character is now more 'bad ass', when in reality stats turn the cogs of an MMO (and they aren't changing across your transmute to more 'bad ass' gear, you aren't really more powerful because your gear now glows or has spikes, but it really does make you feel that way at times).

You get about 350 karma per event on Orr. You need 42k karma per piece of exotic gear.

^I think the game is alright as a purely PvE player. I do wish they made the dungeon grind for armor less steep; I just want to fill out my virtual wardrobe.

The Heavy exotic karma set is trash for Guardians, it's more for Warriors, I have 125k in Karma and it's useless right now...

Arcteryx

Cool I didn't realize those differences as well!

Yeah that's pretty much what I was wondering, just trying to decide what to start off as.

On top of what was posted above, the Order you side with will also limit you to what armor you can choose from. Make sure you hop on Google(or here) and look at the various Order(faction) gear...kinda wish I had known that prior to picking Priory instead of Whispers.

"The Heavy exotic karma set is trash for Guardians, it's more for Warriors, I have 125k in Karma and it's useless right now..."

Not necessarily true. There is a specific build I have in theory for Guardians that only works with the Orr karma gear.

SorchaR

I suppose I'm just used to Guild Wars 1 where you got a max level set of armor as soon as possible (usually far before reaching the level cap) that you used until you could go and grind faction for the fancier looking sets. The GW2 armor seems just fine by me.
There's 3 different skins for drops, crafted armor looks different again, so does vendor/karma stuff. If you have the HoM then there's another different look, and ofcourse you can transmute armor from levels below or above you if you prefer to do so.
Then there's all the different dyes which make a difference... it's a far mor versatile system then most other MMOs where everyone runs around in the same mis-matched armor until maximum level.

The only MMO (not counting the various superhero ones) that does it better that I know of is LOTRO, which allows you to wear vanity items in a separate slot, where you can not only slot armor of your own range, but also that below you (so a heavy armor wearer can slot medium and light).
And if you have alts you can store armor looks in your closet and then any alt can wear it, not matter what armor class.

Sora_N

On top of what was posted above, the Order you side with will also limit you to what armor you can choose from. Make sure you hop on Google and look at the various Order gear...kinda wish I had known that prior to picking Priory instead of Whispers.

Holy crap, Vigil female looks good. All 3 Vigil look pretty nice, not a fan of anything except Medium for Priory. Good tip though, armor really matters for me! Thanks :D

KingKong

oh man, the last personal quest is a dungeon? Does anyone know if its an actual mission in the dungeon or just the story mode dungeon run?

Arcteryx

oh man, the last personal quest is a dungeon? Does anyone know if its an actual mission in the dungeon or just the story mode dungeon run?

The whole SM dungeon run :|. Pretty meh dungeon overall too.

The official forums have a ton of threads about it and most of the posts are quite negative. I agree that it's a pretty piss poor idea to throw that at the gamer, especially after solo-ing to 80. Not only that, but I don't imagine there will always be people around to SM that dungeon..meaning some will probably never finish the story unless ANet adds in AI teammates or something.

SorchaR

Are you serious? That means I won't see the end of mine then, I hate pugging and my guild only has 3 players :(

SorchaR

Guest with GAFers when they implement that system (should be soon).

I hope they implement that soon then :) I hadn't applied to GAF guild yet since our own little guild needs all the rep we can get for now, so I wouldn't be representing.

Is the TP back up yet? I didn't play last night because it was down. Working on crafting finally and my inventory is chock full of the crap I need to make stuff and the bank is full so I can't just stuff the fledgling armor pieces I made in there. Didn't want to clear a new zone with two inventory spaces for loot haha

_machine

"The Heavy exotic karma set is trash for Guardians, it's more for Warriors, I have 125k in Karma and it's useless right now..."

Not necessarily true. There is a specific build I have in theory for Guardians that only works with the Orr karma gear.
Don't the Orr Karma gear have different stats depending on which god's altar/place you buy it from?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm playing a thief, I have no idea how I should be allocating my talent points. Just putting them all into the crit tree thing. Talent trees could use a little work as it just seems like a generic stat booster thing. Also, when do I get a real permanent stealth?

I'm not sure how it's generic. Are you picking your major talents every 10 levels? Because you can change that any time you want. That really changes how you approach your talents. As far as pumping points into stats, it's pretty much how it always works in games, but imo, being able to pick your major talents and change them to fit your build changes how you approach the entire thing.

"Don't the Orr Karma gear have different stats depending on which god's altar/place you buy it from?"

Yes, but you kind of need all of the temples if you want all of the pieces to have the same 3 stats. So like a chestpiece with precision, vitality and healing power is only available from one, but the legs are from another, the helm/gloves another, etc.

Trey

Are you fucking shitting me? Ability to choose my own music? We call that tabbing out and picking my music. Let's not get carried away in the circle jerking. This isn't a console game, we are on a PC. However most MMOs are also RPGs, meaning they are about immersion into the world and the character - How the fuck can you do that with your own music on top? How horrible that you expect developers to actually put some time and effort in a great diverse soundtrack that you notice, that you enjoy and compliments the areas or zones to further add to the immersion. It sounds like the blew the entire soundtrack budget on the main theme, which is excellent and everything else is just ... bleh.

In a matter as subjective as music, the best case scenario is to give people the option of tailoring the music to fit in with the game if they don't like what you offer.

You literally have no point here.

inky

^

I didn't properly check for that, and now I have 2 pieces (helm and shoulders) with different base stats LOL. Talking about Tekno's post.

Sethos

Banned
In a matter as subjective as music, the best case scenario is to give people the option of tailoring the music to fit in with the game if they don't like what you offer.

You literally have no point here.

No, that wasn't my point. My point was their music is bad, me replacing it doesn't make their music good.

Trey

No, that wasn't my point. My point was their music is bad, me replacing it doesn't make their music good.

But the alternative is there in the case you find their music bad, and you can even set your replacement music to play in context.

Anet is revolutionary once again!

Audioboxer

But the alternative is there in the case you find their music bad, and you can even set your replacement music to play in context.

Anet is revolutionary once again!

Please tell me that part is sarcasm? On a PC ANY game can have a custom soundtrack... At the 'hackiest' turn off the music slider in the games options, alt-tab, play your own playlist in your chosen media player and enjoy.

But can the majority of people be arsed doing that? No. Especially not for a huge scale MMO (when talking about finding relevant replacement music, not putting on the latest Westlife CD on repeat).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom